Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Recovery

After a harrowing hostage incident left the night shift team badly shaken, everyone is finally back to business...everyone except TC Callahan (Eoin Macken), who has been temporarily suspended from the hospital after a PTSD breakdown on the job. After recovering from his near-fatal gunshot wound, Topher Zia (Ken Leung) has temporarily taken over as chief of the night shift while Jordan Alexander (Jill Flint) fields scrutiny over her medical mishandling of the man who shot him. TC can't stay away from the action however and joins Jordan out in the field, and with the help of head surgeon Scott Clemmens (guest star Scott Wolf, "Perception"), they push the limits of medical technology to save a father trapped beneath an elevator. Dr. Joey Chavez (guest star Adam Rodriguez, "Reckless") brings a new zen vibe to the ER when he steps in as chief surgeon on a freak motorcycle accident case, working to the beat of his own drum. Meanwhile, Ragosa (Freddy Rodriguez) returns to the ER with a surprising new lease on life after surviving cancer.

• Love 1

Well, drat, the rumors are true and Landry is gone.  Not only gone, but apparently vanished without a trace.  I don't there was even a mention of her.  I noticed that they Jordan's new EMT friend almost looks like Landry, so I wonder if they're just pretending she never happened, for whatever reason.

No!  TC sold his motorcycle to save Brit Morgan's character!  My dreams of an episode where TC heroically drives that bike into the actual hospital, while holding a baby or small child, have now been dashed! 

I'm kind of surprised Scott Wolf is still hanging around.  I would have S1's finale would have worked as a way for his character to bow out.  Unless they have plans for him other then just fuming over TC/Jordan, I'd like to think he could find better work elsewhere.

Ragosa just quit in spectacular fashion.  Cracked up that his superior was Tim Russ (Tuvok from Star Trek: Voyager), because when he started giving Ragosa the third-degree, I was just like "What gives, Tuvok?  Vulcans are suppose to calm and unemotional!"  But, it sounds like Ragosa is hanging out as an assistant now or something.  Whatever: I do get a kick out of New Happy Ragosa, especially around Drew and Topher.  Probably because Brendan Fehr and Ken Leung have perfected the art of "WTF?!" reaction shots.

I did like seeing a bit more of the TC/Topher relationship.  That's when I actually kind of like TC, compared to TC/Jordan or Super Doctor TC.

Not sure I'm going to like this Chavez character or not.

I was entertained, at least.  Still can't say this show is actually good with a straight face, but, you know: I do find myself laughing, so that has to count for something, right?

• Love 2

It was an OK episode. Still love Topher and Drew, and the little I saw of Krista. The pace was fast, and the imagery quite gruesome (the kid's leg, ouch).

No!  TC sold his motorcycle to save Brit Morgan's character!  My dreams of an episode where TC heroically drives that bike into the actual hospital, while holding a baby or small child, have now been dashed!

LOLOL. Worry not, I'm sure he'll find another way to do it. Like, with an helicopter, or a jetski. TC, to the infinity and beyond!
Mr Perfect Rebel isn't an easy role to play, and I'm afraid that the actor isn't good enough to give second degree or something to his character in order to make him likeable and relatable, in spite of the uninterrupted string of praises thrown at him. So they should tone it down in the writing. I like good guys and I like devoted doctors, but come on, his portrayal borders sainthood now.

He's definitely better around Topher, as long as Topher doesn't play the greek choir singing his virtues.

Good thing: the triangle seems over, even though the will they-won't they is unfortunately not. I hope that Scott Wolf sticks around, because I like him. I have the feeling he'll be Old Recipe Ragosa 2.0, if only for the way Chavez ruffled his feathers already. He still seems able to get past his personal dislike and think of the patient, so maybe his character will be allowed to develop layers beyond his role as TC's antagonist and Jordan's resentful ex-boyfriend.

Speaking of Ragosa, I don't know how I feel about the personality transplant. I like to see him smiling and happy, way better than angry, but I wonder how he's going to fit. I hope he doesn't end as a butt monkey. Here is a character/actor who managed to awake my sympathies in spite of a thankless role. He's about the only one that I take seriously, actually.

His character is imo going to miss Landry, and I missed Landry and my not-so-crack ship. I want her back. With the number of people in need of counseling in this hospital, I can't believe they gave the boot to the (rather competent) psychologist.

It's good that Jordan has a friend, but I'm less than impressed by said friend so far. And if anyone pitched me a professional decision beginning with "you know I lost my father/mother/pet goldfish at a young age", I'd send them to a counselor. Again: Paging Dr. de la Cruz!

OTOH, I liked Chavez. Imo, that's more the way you do a rebel. He has his quirks, but doesn't have that juvenile emo thing about him. Is it me, or Krista sounded like a fan already? Mh. I need a new ship on this show. I don't hate TC/Jordan, but I'm not invested either.

I didn't want Krista with Kenny, since she's now my favorite female character whereas I don't like him much. But the fact that it happened offscreen instead of being milked for drama makes me hope that it'll only be a fling.

Next doctor in trouble: Drew, with his boyfriend painkiller addiction. Is there even less subtle than an anvil? This show does it for you. I guess that's why it's a guilty pleasure.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1
New Happy Ragosa

I began to wonder if our Little Angry Onion was back on the E. Also: Way harsh, Tuvok!

I am strangely always happy to see Scott Wolf, even if they appear to have kept him around to hold the Ragey Dillhole spot lately vacated by Ragosa.

ETA: Someone please cut Adam Rodriguez's hair. NOW.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

Speaking of Ragosa, I don't know how I feel about the personality transplant. I like to see him smiling and happy, way better than angry, but I wonder how he's going to fit. I hope he doesn't end as a butt monkey. Here is a character/actor who managed to awake my sympathies in spite of a thankless role. He's about the only one that I take seriously, actually.

His character is imo going to miss Landry, and I missed Landry and my not-so-crack ship. I want her back. With the number of people in need of counseling in this hospital, I can't believe they gave the boot to the (rather competent) psychologist.

I do agree that Regosa is going to miss Landry.  I also miss Landry.  However, I do like that Regosa is thinking about becoming a PA.  There's background for it.  He did help with several trauma situations last season.

I'm hoping that Chavez was brought in to replace Clemmons, although I can see a handwave occurring and Scott becoming the new asshole administrator.  Although that doesn't make sense either because I doubt Scott's ego would move him to take himself out of the OR.  I'm thinking that's where Clemmons is headed though, either that or off the show.  With the introduction of Chavez and an opening at Regosa's position, that would be where i'd think they'd move Scott the character and Scott the actor (if Scott Wolf remains on the show).  I'm fine if he leaves, though.  I loathe TC and Jordan, but I also don't think Scott Clemmons is a great character, nor do I think Scott Wolf is doing anything worth writing home about.

Luckily for me, I've still got Drew, Topher, and Regosa, all of whom I care about more than the love lives of TC, Jordan, and Scott.  I'm thinking that I could like Krista and Chavez (as well as what might happen if Drew thinks Kenny or Chavez does Krista wrong in some way.)  Loved the reminder that Drew and Krista are friends when he seemed to be "checking up" on Kenny.  I love the Drew/Krista friendship period.  I hope it doesn't get messed up, which means it likely will.

All in all, I do wish Landry would return, but there's still enough here that I can ignore TC, Jordan, and Scott (if Scott stays).

Next doctor in trouble: Drew, with his boyfriend painkiller addiction. Is there even less subtle than an anvil? 

Ha, I thought the same thing. A very clunky moment. "No, you can only have this much per day!!"

I didn't realize how much I missed the show until it came back. It's not amazing, but I like it enough to keep watching. I like TC, Topher, Drew, and Krista. 

• Love 1

I do agree that Regosa is going to miss Landry.  I also miss Landry.  However, I do like that Regosa is thinking about becoming a PA.  There's background for it.  He did help with several trauma situations last season.

Actually, that pissed me off.  Being a physician assistant isn't something you can just do.  There's a pretty rigorous three-year training that goes along with being a PA, and admission to a program is just as, if not more, selective as medical school.  And I couldn't figure out what they were saying about Ragosa taking his boards to get his MD.  You don't have to take your boards to be awarded an MD, you need to take them in order to practice.  "Mostly scut work" my ass, Topher.

Eion Macken's accent was slipping out all over the place.

I liked that they managed to stage what's-her-face's cancer without doing a biopsy.  Also, Pancoast tumors cause pain in the arm and shoulder, not the neck.

Other than that, let's see, anvil about Drew and Rick, anvil about Kenny and Krista and the badly-in-need-of-a-haircut Adam Rodriguez, and a breakroom to replace the rooftop party and the food truck.  So, just about an average episode.

Actually, that pissed me off.  Being a physician assistant isn't something you can just do.

I can tell by the wording in your post that you have medical knowledge somewhere in your background.  I have none beyond what the typical layperson might have.  My comment was meant solely within the context of the show.  I like Regosa and know that he has some medical background/training.  He helped with several trauma situations last season, so my perspective was completely, "Yeah, I'll handwave Regosa taking an 80% pay cut to become a PA."  I liked it when he helped last season.  I knew nothing about the average course of study for a PA and didn't remotely interpret it as a slight against those who actually practice the profession.  In the fictional world of Night Shift TV medicine, the PA position is simply another road to more Regosa...which makes me happy.

• Love 2

I can tell by the wording in your post that you have medical knowledge somewhere in your background.  I have none beyond what the typical layperson might have.  My comment was meant solely within the context of the show.  I like Regosa and know that he has some medical background/training.  He helped with several trauma situations last season, so my perspective was completely, "Yeah, I'll handwave Regosa taking an 80% pay cut to become a PA."  I liked it when he helped last season.  I knew nothing about the average course of study for a PA and didn't remotely interpret it as a slight against those who actually practice the profession.  In the fictional world of Night Shift TV medicine, the PA position is simply another road to more Regosa...which makes me happy.

I'm sorry if it came like I was making that comment toward you.  It was more a comment at the show, which looked to me like it was denigrating the entire profession.  PA's have to practice under the supervision of a physician, but they can do pretty much anything a primary care doctor can do, aside from a few limitations on the types of prescriptions they're able to write.  Topher presented it as being "mostly scut work."  "Scut work" is doctorspeak for menial labor type things--tracking down lab reports and x-rays, fetching supplies, running simple tests; "Scut" is an acronym for "some common unfinished tasks," and the people within a hospital who do it are usually called "medical students."

This show is what it is, and as annoying as I find some of the rather loose depictions of medical science, I understand that some of that is for dramatic reasons.  Putting down an entire profession, whose practitioners spend almost as much time in school as full-on physicians (3 years versus 4), as glorified gophers bothered me.  It's a hard job to get into, and in a lot of cases it's full of people who work just as hard as doctors for less money and respect.

And no, I'm not a PA.  When I decided to go back to school in my early 30s, I thought very seriously about it, but ultimately decided I'd be willing to put myself through an extra year of school.  So I'm going to be one of those old residents that Topher was talking about.

I'm sorry for the rant.  This (the show, not your comment) touched a nerve in a way that actually bothered me a lot.  When they goof with the medicine (or put their stethoscopes in their ears backward, which drives me nuts), I roll my eyes and annoy my husband by pointing it out.  But something like this, you know, maybe talk to someone who's been inside a hospital.

And don't even get me started on the magically portable ECMO.

Edited by starri
  • Love 1

I'm glad you pointed out the problems with the denigration of PAs, starri.  It's like the writers mixed up physician assistant and nursing assistants.  (I don't mean to imply that nursing assistants are unskilled, but their training is vastly different from a PA's training.)  The paycut comment was way off base as well.  I've known a couple people who opted for PA school because they wanted to be in the medical industry, make a good living, and not accrue the amount of debt associated with med school and residency.   

I also welcome Dr. Roswell No. 2 to the team. I started watching this show for Roswell alum so that works out very nicely for me

I liked that there was a female vet storyline, and I was surprisingly relieved that Ragosa is sticking around.

I only made it to the second commercial break, but did they ever mention how long this was supposed to have been since last season? Because the timeline seemed screwy to me . . . TC and Drew's boyfriend made it seem like not a ton of time had passed (TC's still suspended, the bf hasn't gotten his prosthetic yet). Maybe Topher fits into that timeline, though he seemed awfully chipper (not to mention he had time to not only recover, but get promoted). But how the hell did Ragosa have the time to have and recover from BRAIN SURGERY and return to work in that time frame? And be perfectly fine? 

While the last thing I expect from this show is solid reasoning, assuming they put any thought into this and he has the type of tumor I think he did based on what they told us (a meningioma, which is usually benign), he probably could have gotten surgery within the time frame (I think it was about six weeks later).  Depending on where the tumor was, they might not even have had to open his skull, although I think he had a small scar at his temple that was, I guess, supposed to indicate that he'd had surgery.

And with that, I probably put more thought into this than anyone associated with the show did.

• Love 1

Tuvok! I was trying to figure out who that was. BTW, RIP Leonard Nimoy.

OMG, Super TC is back, superer than ever. I knew he was going to sell the bike as soon as Topher mentioned the 15 K.

The elevator situation flashed me back to an amazing episode of Homicide: Life on the Street. A man was trapped between a subway train and the platform, and moving the train meant death. One of the detectives talked with him until his inevitable death, IIRC.

• Love 1

Not sure why they got rid of Landry after spending so much time on her backstory and her relationship with Ragosa. 

I still am liking the show in ter,ms of fluff entertainment.  However, I have a feeling that Jordan's bestie the EMT replaces Landry.  I'd rather have Landry.  The EMT is too "bubble gum pop".  That doesn't do Jordan any favors.  The character is already played by the uninspiring Jill Flint.  Tying Jordan to Harry Potter and the Spice Girls from her college days doesn't do much to make me take this woman seriously.  I would have much rather seen a working friendship develop between Jordan and Landry.

• Love 2

Aw I forgot about thiS show and am shocked that it's back especially when I hear my dear Constantine isn't as lucky.

anyway I liked that he got her spice girls tickets when they first came out. That was cute. I also liked that they didn't drag out Ragosa's brain tumor saga. At first I was like. Wait, what? I had forgotten that he had a tumor but as I said I was glad that they skipped to the miraculous recovery (he did mention in his epic speech that most people couldn't hold a crayon and he had all of his facuties, so I can handwave it).

I also thought the epic quit speech was well done. I felt his emotions.

I guess I didn't pay close attention. To this former summer fluff show last season.