Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Tempus Fugit

I tried to feel for Katrina in the moment of her death, but even the moment where she sees Jeremy didn't really affect me, mainly because I see him as creepy evil Henry so I couldn't see anything beautiful in a creepy evil person beckoning for her to come to him. Deep down, I suppose, I saw good in a mother seeing her son again and joining with him in death, but given who these two characters were and how much trouble and cruelty and death they'd caused, I just didn't feel much love for them in the moment.

I felt much more for Ichabod and his loss, for the wife he had once loved so deeply, for the terrible choice he'd had to make.

• Love 5

Oh, my God.  They killed Franklin!

Well until Grace called "backsies" on that.

I'm 99% sure that after Katrina died, Ichabod picked up her grimoire from the floor where it fell.

Yep.  He most definitely picked up the book.

And there should be no worries about endless mourning by Ichabod.  Someone quoted a Mison interview on one of the other threads here that said that people have had enough of "the Crane family drama" adding words like "maudlin" to the mix and made it clear it was over.  He also made it clear he didn't like the milk-toast Crane he had to play this past season as well and was glad to be back to the Crane he likes and believes in.

In short, our great national nightmare is over.  Period.

I think Fox will renew now for sure and we will have the Fantastic Four vs the original headless Headless.  There are zillions of demons not named Moloch who want a hand at bringing about the apocalypse.  And there is Andy of the backward head I'd love to see return tho he is more a caught in the middle guy than a villain.  But there is always villains for heroes to defeat from the beginning of time.  No way do they run out of storylines.  Heck in the episode before this the librarian they went to looked like she was one of the witches that was being awaken.  If you can't even trust your local librarian they will be hip deep in baddies.

Now my question.  What happened to useless blonde dude that was taking Jenny's job over of finding artifacts?  I was away and missed that episode.  Someone promise me he is gone too.

Edited by green
  • Love 1

This is my first chance today to check in with the Sleepy Hollow fandom and I can barely make it in the room for all the piles of confetti and the empty champagne bottles! LOL!

Now that I know justice has been served, I can go back and watch. 

Edited by marceline
  • Love 8

Part of me wondered if Crane thought for a moment, "I wonder if that's what will happen to me when I die someday? Since I am not truly of this modern time either. Will I simply vanish?" I didn't really mourn for Katrina, but that moment made me sad, thinking about Crane and how he's not really supposed to be there either. 

Ah, but he IS supposed to be there! According to the Jefferson hologram, it was always supposed to be Abbie, which means Ichabod had to be pulled through time to meet her. So he is supposed to be here, with Abbie. And I hope next season (I refuse to believe it won't be back....La, la, la, I can't hear you!) they start to explore how these 2 were chosen, who knew, how long did they know, how did they find out & pass down the knowledge, etc. Ooh, maybe even Corbin knew and we can have Clancy Brown back!

I'm entirely too excited, but I gotta say, I like this feeling much better than how I felt deleting some of the S2 episodes off the DVR without even watching them. As Sookie (GG Sookie, not Fairy Sookie) said, I was sad & mad...I was smad.

• Love 1

This is gold. I'd watch an hour of Abbie and Ichabod just hanging out.

Unedited selfie video

Oh my gods! That was the cutest thing I have ever seen! He said "et a plate of waffles". Dies.

More of this on the show, please.

I also thought it was sweet how her cell phone PW was his birthday (although I did also think he was going to enter it wrong - month/day British style). Oh well. I'll fanwank she told him day/month off-camera.

• Love 1

I really liked it.  I giggled when Katrina mind-choked that guy because all I could think of is "Oh NOW she's powerful.  When she was good she couldn't get a kitten out of a tree." 

For the sake of most of the fandom I am grateful they killed her off because she turned off a lot of viewers and I want the show to succeed but I didn't really have a problem with her per se.  If they'd made her a baddie sooner and people had accepted that I wouldn't have minded her sticking around.  I worry about who the big bad will be now and whether enough people will enjoy watching whoever that will be.  Fingers crossed.

I bow to the show's conceits but come on....TWO guys from the 1700's being all Women's Lib and Black Power?  It was hard enough to find open minded white males in the 1970's how did they breed them in the 1770's?  BTW the Franklin Stove NEVER worked.   It was one of his failures.  The bifocal however was a winner and reigned until they recently invented multifocal lenses of which I am a beneficiary but Ben paved the way and I'm sure saved countless people from running around half blind.

I'm glad Jenny and Frank were shown and OK.  Like many these core 4 are what I care about. 

I do hope we can continue from here.

Edited by MDKNIGHT
  • Love 1

I have to admit to not being as up for this episode as the people happily square dancing on Katrina's grave.  It felt a lot like fanfic and "subtraction fanfic" at that.  You know the "I HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE this character, plot event, storyline!  So, I'm going write my own story that gets rid of it." fanfic.

I mean, I get it.  There were a lot of mistakes this season and some level of cleanup/backtracking needed to be done, but I wish there'd been a couple of bits to make the trip through time about more than just that, like Franklin dropping "Oh, have you guys located the Crown of Amen-Ra yet?  You'll need it when Set rises"  or Grace suddenly going white witch eyes, grabbing Abbie and saying "Beware the Jabberwock, my child!  Get the Vorpal Sword from the Well of Sorrows!"  I would have just liked something that pushed events forward.

• Love 3

...I bow to the show's conceits but come on....TWO guys from the 1700's being all Women's Lib and Black Power? It was hard enough to find open minded white males in the 1970's how did they breed them in the 1770's? ...

Franklin was originally slaveholder, but became an abolitionist later in life and believed slaves should be freed and educated to become productive members of society. PBS had this to say about what possibly caused his change of heart:

"Like most people of his period, Franklin initially believed that African slaves and their offspring were inferior to white Europeans and that they couldn't be educated. He began to question his beliefs when he visited a school where young African children were being taught. In 1763, he wrote a letter to an English friend where he stated, "I was on the whole much pleased, and from what I then saw, have conceived a higher opinion of the natural capacities of the black race, than I had ever before entertained. Their apprehension seems as quick, their memory as strong, and their docility in every respect equal to that of white children."

Edited by cynic
  • Love 3

I turned to Mrs Roo ,when the guy in charge of Abby's things told Crane that Superior Officer was going to visit Abby, and said...oh man, she's gonna kick his ass!!!  I love that I knew that this show wouldn't have her cowering in a corner when Crane rushed in to save the day.  Usually, I'd much rather be surprised and not be able to figure out what is coming but in this case, I was just plumb tickled.  

• Love 1

I have to admit to not being as up for this episode as the people happily square dancing on Katrina's grave.  It felt a lot like fanfic and "subtraction fanfic" at that.  You know the "I HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE this character, plot event, storyline!  So, I'm going write my own story that gets rid of it." fanfic.

I mean, I get it.  There were a lot of mistakes this season and some level of cleanup/backtracking needed to be done, but I wish there'd been a couple of bits to make the trip through time about more than just that, like Franklin dropping "Oh, have you guys located the Crown of Amen-Ra yet?  You'll need it when Set rises"  or Grace suddenly going white witch eyes, grabbing Abbie and saying "Beware the Jabberwock, my child!  Get the Vorpal Sword from the Well of Sorrows!"  I would have just liked something that pushed events forward.

Ichabod killing Katrina does move the story forward. Katrina is no longer that albatross around Crane's neck so he can get back to being a Witness and whatnot. Abbie no longer has to be all worried about Crane and being unable to trust him because he was putting his untrustworthy wife above every thing else.  They can get back to doing what they have been chosen to do. Seems like a pretty big step forward to me.

• Love 8

It's the best they could do in the time they had. There's only so much you can do to reboot a show in a couple of episodes, and I think Goffman (how can this be?!?!) managed to do a great job of cramming a ton of stuff into them. Clearly once someone stopped watching Ichtrina videos on youtube he was able to rally his thoughts and write something that feels like early season 1 Sleepy Hollow, and set the show up for another season in a way that would make Fox believe they deserve one.

I would have just liked something that pushed events forward.

And really, I think reboot is a bad word for it (self edit!). There will be repercussions. Everything has changed for Ichabod and Abbie. In good and bad ways that will effect everything moving forward. So, time reset and nothing changed in the past, but everything changed in the present.

Edited by jenrising
  • Love 2
And really, I think reboot is a bad word for it (self edit!). There will be repercussions. Everything has changed for Ichabod and Abbie. In good and bad ways that will effect everything moving forward. So, time reset and nothing changed in the past, but everything changed in the present.

Not really, though. I haven't had the time to look for it, but someone said above that Mison has given some interviews where he basically says that S3 is going to minimize Ichabod's pain as much as possible and not have him grieving that much over Katrina and Henry. If that's the case, I don't really think this finale will have many repercussions at all, because aside from Ichabod being sad, I don't see any long-term repercussions for Abbie or Jenny here (or even Irving--and I'm disappointed that he's suddenly evil-less, him being ambiguously shady long-term would have been a great storyline).

I think it is accurate to term this finale a soft reboot for the series, because aside from the Mills-Crane-Irving axis being reunited, there's nothing really left over from the first two seasons. Moloch's dead and his particular apocalypse has been prevented, Henry the other "big bad" is dead, and Katrina, who was a major part of Ichabod's sl for 2 seasons, is dead. Now all we have is Team Witness agreeing to fight the forces of (nebulous, because the writers have no plan) evil as they walk into the sunset, which imo is pretty much the definition of a soft reboot for the series. And as I said above, while on some level I'm glad that the writers realized that they had irretrievably butchered the potential in the Henry and Katrina characters and decided to just cut bait with them, I'm really concerned about what new directions the show might take (or not take). There's so obviously no plan.

I wonder if Abbie or Jenny will start to show some penchant for magic, if they were to explore the possibilities and try, given that their ancestor Grace had that gift. I think that would be very powerful to see. (Plus, I liked that Grace used her magic for good; there seemed to be a lot of love in her that came through her magic. I think that's a wonderful counter to all those who use magic for evil purposes, like Henry and Katrina.)

Honestly, this SHOULD HAVE been Jenny's arc in S2: finding out that she has latent magic abilities and training as a witch. So I will throw some freaking confetti if the writers FINALLY take this route with Jenny, because it's so obviously a natural direction for the character that could spawn some really interesting storyline possibilities.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 5

This was definitely the best episode of the season. Past Crane was so much more appealing than the lovestruck unreliable fool he was made to be most of the season. He looked really dapper in his uniform. I liked the patience shown with Ichabod slowing coming to believe Abbie. They didn't make it so quick that is seemed improbable but also didn't drag it out to the point of annoyance.

Ichabod looked really fetching in his fresh war duds.

I loved Ben Franklin but had to laugh at the retconning of the Founding Fathers' intentions. If Abbie represented the Fathers' "dream" it would have been nice if they'd written some rights for women and Blacks into the Constitution and maybe not have owned slaves. Just sayin. Did anyone else catch when he called Abbie "well spoken" I cringed a little.

There were so many possibilities with a historical timeline shake up and they took the least interesting one which basically changed nothing.

Edited by savinggrace
  • Love 5

Franklin was originally slaveholder, but became an abolitionist later in life and believed slaves should be freed and educated to become productive members of society. PBS had this to say about what possibly caused his change of heart:

"Like most people of his period, Franklin initially believed that African slaves and their offspring were inferior to white Europeans and that they couldn't be educated. He began to question his beliefs when he visited a school where young African children were being taught. In 1763, he wrote a letter to an English friend where he stated, "I was on the whole much pleased, and from what I then saw, have conceived a higher opinion of the natural capacities of the black race, than I had ever before entertained. Their apprehension seems as quick, their memory as strong, and their docility in every respect equal to that of white children."

There were surely more than two progressive white men at the birth of our nation. I mean, they were obviously not a majority, or even a scant minority, but I can buy two.

This was definitely the best episode of the season. Past Crane was so much more appealing than the lovestruck unreliable fool he was made to be most of the season. He looked really dapper in his uniform. I liked the patience shown with Ichabod slowing coming to believe Abbie. They didn't make it so quick that is seemed improbable but also didn't drag it out to the point of annoyance.

Ichabod looked really fetching in his fresh war duds.

I loved Ben Franklin but had to laugh at the retconning of the Founding Fathers' intentions. If Abbie represented the Fathers' "dream" it would have been nice if they'd written some rights for women and Blacks into the Constitution and maybe not have owned slaves. Just sayin. Did anyone else catch when he called Abbie "well spoken" I cringed a little.

There were so many possibilities with a historical timeline shake up and they took the least interesting one which basically changed nothing.

Changing history would have been a cliffhanger though. One that might have never been resolved. That's why I'm ok with how it went.

• Love 2

I love this.  I'm actually related to Benjamin Franklin--first cousin ten times removed; his grandparents were my ten-times great-grandparents.  Even with all his other accomplishments, this makes me proudest to share a bit of his bloodline.  Did it strike anyone else, though, that Crane's attitude toward Franklin was altered for this episode?  In the modern-day episodes Crane seemed extremely scornful of Franklin but in this one we didn't see that degree of contempt.

• Love 3

Did it strike anyone else, though, that Crane's attitude toward Franklin was altered for this episode? In the modern-day episodes Crane seemed extremely scornful of Franklin but in this one we didn't see that degree of contempt.

I thought he sort of made a face when Abbie said that they should go to him. Past Ichabod probably wouldn't go full-on rant or snide when talking about him because he didn't know Abbie enough to divulge his true feelings like Present Ichabod did. He was sort of sarcastic when he returned to Abbie and Franklin and heard they already made a plan.

Nifty to hear about you being related! :-)

• Love 6

Loved it! I mean, yes, Katrina was suddenly SUPERevil, but the episode was brilliant. Loved Abbie in the past. I'm surprised she didn't tell Crane about her smartphone earlier because it was her best proof. But it doesn't matter either because the scene with Ichabod and the smartphone was hilarious and very touching. I get why the writers waited until that moment.

I'm sorry for Crane, but Katrina had to die. The way she had been writing, she was hurting the show too much. 

I have to confess I don't think Irving is that awesome. Just fine, imo. If I'm happy he's okay it's because I know the sisters love him.

Lots of great things: Franklin, the hug between Ichabod and Abbie, Abbie and Grace (lovely moment between them), Abbie rescueing herself, Ichabod "I came to save you" etc.

As an Ichabbie shipper, I'm happy they're both free now. I don't think they'll become a couple next season, but I'd love to see them together before the end of the show. They'd be amazing together.

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 2

The episode was good IMO, but the acting was off the charts fantastic. I'll admit that I found Ichabod killing Katrina quite moving, so much so that I didn't "celebrate" because Ichabod was clearly in so much pain. I felt for him. Amazing job by both leads, I believed every second of it. Well done.

• Love 4

Ichabod killing Katrina does move the story forward. Katrina is no longer that albatross around Crane's neck so he can get back to being a Witness and whatnot. Abbie no longer has to be all worried about Crane and being unable to trust him because he was putting his untrustworthy wife above every thing else.  They can get back to doing what they have been chosen to do. Seems like a pretty big step forward to me.

Getting back is not moving forward.  Fine, Henry and Katrina were two flat tires on the story vehicle that is Sleepy Hollow and now those tires have been replaced.  These last few episodes or so have been about "fixing" that vehicle.  I just wish that along with making all those repairs, the show had picked up a couple brochures for attractions further along the road.

• Love 1

Getting back is not moving forward.  Fine, Henry and Katrina were two flat tires on the story vehicle that is Sleepy Hollow and now those tires have been replaced.  These last few episodes or so have been about "fixing" that vehicle.  I just wish that along with making all those repairs, the show had picked up a couple brochures for attractions further along the road.

My overall point is that the CFD derailed Team Witness from the job of being you know, Team Witness. So if you prefer, they have set the train back on it's tracks to resume fighting the fight that got derailed by the CFD. 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

Regarding Goffman writing this episode--I thought TV writing credits didn't always work that way, meaning there is a team of writers but they may arbitrarily rotate through who gets the writing credit per episode? 

Grace had Abbie look at her journal and told her the final (empty) pages were hers to write, or words to that effect, with the implication that bigger bads were yet to come. 

Even without that, I was fine with the episode's structure the way it was. They torpedo'd their successful show in a way few of us have been able to compare to any other epic fail in recent tv memory, they *needed* to do something drastic to right the ship. And they also were writing without knowing if it was a series finale.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 5

I'm 99% sure that after Katrina died, Ichabod picked up her grimoire from the floor where it fell.

Yes he picked it up from where it landed from knocking it from Katrina's hands. Then he put it on the table for a bit but picked it up before he left the building.

• Love 2

I loved the opening scene with Crane fighting on the battlefield, but what kills me is this scene was supposed to appear in season two "This is War." Look at Crane's clothes. He's wearing the light brown breeches and white shirt that he wore at the end of the season last year that he got from the reenactment. Also, his hair is in the half-pony tail like it used to be. Also look at this coat. It seems to be in decent condition, but there is no metal button on the collar. In the very next scene, Crane's now "done up" with a vest, a slightly different coat with the collar button down, and his hair completely tied back. Even though he looks more formal, that would be what he would be wearing on the battlefield. Not that I don't like the gaping open shirt though *grin*

I would love to know what the original intent was for this scene in This is War. Purgatory or something else.

I'm on my third rewatch because the episode is soooo good. Season 3 please!

• Love 3

Sometimes a season finale just needs to end the story that was told for that season. It sets things up by clearing the slate for what is to come. it's a better approach than cliffhangers which aren't actually necessary to indicate that there is an upcoming narrative and as well, they are a shitty payoff for fans who tuned into a weak season that has left the show in danger of cancellation. Simply and definitively ending a story or characters that weren't working is a step forward. It's certainly preferable to promises of ret-conning, back-pedalling and prevarication that would have come with retaining Henry and Katrina.  We have several dangling threads to provide story for next season; Shambling, lonely, helpful Kindred, totally Headless Horseman, now 100% angrier,  Orion, perhaps with an all-new halo made out of a circular saw blade tempered in the fires of Mount Emo and craftily decorated with glow sticks, various mean-spirited spirits restored to flesh upon their exit from the blurred focus of Purgatory and sundry demonic travellers wishing to sell their own version of the apocalypse to local cranks and a population of dormant descendants of dark magic practitioners. I thought Tempus Fugit was a strong finale, so strong that I really had to think about what story there was left to tell and when I did, there were a lot that came to mind.

ETA

Grace had Abbie look at her journal and told her the final (empty) pages were hers to write, or words to that effect, with the implication that bigger bads were yet to come.

after Katrina died, Ichabod picked up her grimoire from the floor where it fell.

Further indications of more to come, with the enhancement that both were inherent to the story told to end the season.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 11

Ichabod and I share a birthday! When he typed it in, I was like, "Shut up!"

Ha! Awesome. I remember watching an episode of Supernatural and noticing on some paperwork that Sam Winchester and I share a birthday (May 2)! I was super excited about it, so I understand completely.

What a terrific episode! I want a Season 3 bad and am wondering when they'll announce yay or nay. Yes, this season was meh, but now that they've seemed to rectify what was the issue, bring on more Sleepy Hollow, please!

I gotta go watch the episode again because there was so much goodness in it, including that hilarious cell phone scene with Ichabod sliding it on the table. Hilarious

Tom really brought it during the Katrina death scene...I was very moved at his reaction to killing her. Bravo, Tom!

Abbie was fantastic, being all badass! I love how, even though she was concerned at them talking about her in a negative way and wanting to do away with her, she stayed strong and had her wits about her enough to take care of business. Go girl, go!!

• Love 5

That may have been my fav episode of the show...ever.  Crane being the Crane I know/love?  Check.  Abbie kicking ass and taking names EVEN in the bad old days?  Check. Getting some Abbie fam time (Grace!)? Check. Abbie and Crane showing the nature of their amazing bond?  Check. 

Sure, it was a waste of a season, full of missteps.  Katrina & Henry as a main feature, Hawley, Stupid!Crane, lack of Abbie/Jenny/Irving goodness and lack of the relationship we've come to expect from Abbie/Crane were painful.  For me, the loss of Abbie/Crane relationship this season was so tough b/c I don't think anything like that relationship lived on TV last season.  Those two actors are amazing and elevate each other.  Why would you take that away?!   

Between the awesome of Abbie, the coolness of Grace, Crane feeling more like season 1, Death of Evil!Katrina, Ben Franklin goodness (and then Headless Ben) and the fast pace of the story, I'm willing to give (hopefully) season 3 a try in a way that I wasn't  prior to the episode.  I very much hope this goodwill lives onward into the future of the show.  I don't think I'm willing to waste another season.

• Love 3

Tom really is an excellent actor. He was so saddened by Katrina`s betrayal and death, I was actually sad about it for a minute! Now that takes talent!

In all seriousness though, I do feel kind of bad about Katrina/Katia. We never really saw much struggle from her, nor did we ever get much insight into her shady tendencies, or how it lead her to turn to evil so quickly. Maybe because her shadiness was kind of accidental? I actually thought Katia was pretty good as Bad Witch Katrina, I really wish they had started with all this earlier in the season. If course, that might have meant even more Katrina/Crane family angst, so maybe its for the best it was rushed like crazy into the last few episodes. I honestly thought she would have some kind of small redemption moment at the end, or at least show one second of love for Crane, but nope. Just love for her evil kid she never really knew. But yeah, it really was for the greater good. Now maybe, since Ichabod has pretty much accepted that she went evil, and she had to be stopped, we can just put all this behind us in season 3...hopefully. 

Can we have an episode when it turns out Ben Franklin left a hologram of himself lying around somewhere, so we can have him back on the show, without going back to the past again? Pretty please? 

• Love 3

Sometimes a season finale just needs to end the story that was told for that season. It sets things up by clearing the slate for what is to come. it's a better approach than cliffhangers which aren't actually necessary to indicate that there is an upcoming narrative and as well, they are a shitty payoff for fans who tuned into a weak season that has left the show in danger of cancellation. 

This.  Not just with SH, but I'm so tired of season finales always ending on cliffhangers.  It's such a lazy gimmick, and most times, the cliffhanger is resolved in five minutes in the season premiere and was never a big deal to begin with.  

If the show is successful and you love it anyway, you don't need a "hook" to tune in next season.  It's OK for things to just end.

• Love 7
I actually thought Katia was pretty good as Bad Witch Katrina, I really wish they had started with all this earlier in the season.

I agree. She's really good at screaming in rage and her flat affect is well suited for evil. I felt bad for the actor having to haul the impossible water of Good Witch Katrina when clearly Bad Witch Katrina would not have been so devastating to the series. Same for John Noble--he found lots of notes in Henry/Jeremy (I still love the image of him crying like a little kid with his legs stuck straight out in front of him after Moloch's bitching-out) but the character itself was a bad fit--not to mention the whole quasi-incest vibe they had going. When they come back as evil spirits (and you know they will) maybe they can contribute to the show. Hey, miracles happen.

The whole "Crane grabbed the Grimoire" thing is setting up season three in so many ways: Headless will be trying to get it to bring back Katrina, Jenny will be tempted by it during various crises, Angel Emo will try to snag it for various good-seeming reasons, Moloch will be trying to get hold of it for Apocalypse II--This Time It's Super Personal, and so on. Plus, maybe even Crane and Abbie will be lured into buying or trading it for something.

• Love 3

Yeah, I believe Goffman "wrote" this episode as much of the rest of you! This was far too excellent for a hack like him.

ETA: In the words of TV Juriste: "Even though Mark Goffman wrote the finale, I have a hard time believing he wrote that line. If the show’s creative leader truly had considered the Abbie Mills character an example of “the American dream,” do you think there ever would have been a need for the #AbbieMillsDeservesBetter campaign? I don’t."

Best part--"I came to rescue you" as Abbie stands in an open cell over a soldier's inert body! I loved that she rescued herself!

As soon as she said, "There have been a lot of developments in close quarter combat," I smiled and thought, "Dude, you are about to get your ass kicked and you don't even know it." Heeeeee.

I liked Abbie kicking the ass of the captain guy even if I 500% don't buy that tiny Nicole Beharie could take down that brute of a guy.

When Abbie started working free the nail, I could hear her say "I don't do 'damsel'"!

That's the thing about " developments in close quarter combat" -- they do make it possible for someone of smaller stature to tgake down a larger man. Judo and akido are all about using an opponents size against them.

Does anyone else feel VINDICATED by that finale?
I do.
*dances around*

I love you, phoenics. In a totally platonic 18th century fashion. 

I have this nagging feeling that Crane is going to blame Abbie and possibly himself for Katrina's death. There is no way the show spent 2 seasons making him a liability to Abbie and humanity at large for her sake and making a fool of him incapable of keeping a conversation without mentioning her every two words, only to just accept her death. That's not the Crane I know and dislike. Goffman and his pals will make sure Katrina's presence is felt next season, whether Katia Winter is back or not.

They're going to have to be very careful with the first episode of Season 3 (can anyone doubt it now?). If they spend much more than 10 minutes on Katrina, people will tune out. They've got to push ahead hard in the opening minutes, showing us that "the Crane we know and dislike" is gone with Katrina and the map that never was. All of us will be wondering who really is in charge now?

================================

ETA: Mison did his best acting with Winters after she was dead.  That says it all right there.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 14

I loved this episode. I could comment on a lot of it (and this is the first SH episode in a long time where I have overwhelmingly positive things to say) but I can't get over how touching that final scene is. Yes, the episode set a (mostly) clean slate for further S3 adventures if there is to be one. If there isn't it is still a beautiful ending to me for this reason:

When Abbie says, "You ready, Captain?" it just gets to me. There is so much said with that. It's the first time in the 21st century Crane's character as a man has been acknowledged since possibly the pilot. Straight up respect for him in a way that hasn't been overtly said before. Though Abbie has always realized and respected his humanity, she had no frame of reference to realize and respect how much he lost as a Captain with nothing to command. His command was his identity, the backbone of who he was as a person. It was the one thing I think he felt he created about himself for himself. Abbie calling him Captain means so much more for them going forward.

When Crane turns around, you can see on his face that he is registering that too.

It was beautifully acted and stays with me.

• Love 24

I agree with everyone who thinks there are more stories to tell. Franklin told Abbie there are others, aware of the mission, out there in her era. I'm intrigued by that. Could some of these characters we've met for one episode this season actually have a larger role in all of it?

I also think Katrina is gone for good. Henry too.

Something I noticed on rewatch, the scene in Franklins study when the horseman showed up is just like the scene from "This is War" where they fought headless in Franklins study but 200 some odd years earlier. Right down to Ichabod throwing the grenade at him. I thought that was cool.

• Love 3

After watching the episode again, I dislike that hug more than ever. I wish they hadn't included it, because it brought into sharp relief the imbalance of their relationship, who is the giver and who gets the most out of that relationship. Show some warmth at least, Ichy! Ugh, what a cold fish!

Also, Abbie was absolutely right, Ichy had no choice, no matter what he said. Killing Katrina was self-defense. She was going to kill him. It was more instinct than anything. Would he have made the choice to kill her if she had only tried to kill Abbie? I don't believe it for a second.

Show some warmth at least, Ichy! Ugh, what a cold fish!

But 21st century Crane isn't a cold fish. Neither is 18th century Crane. Stiff, yes. Cold fish? No. Look at his expression as he is handing over the flower when he is "helping" Grace and Abbie put together the ingredients to reverse the spell.  The reaction to her hug was very much within his 18th century persona. Overt displays of affection between a man and a woman who were not "betrothed" was exceedingly uncommon. He is not repelled by it, he is totally caught by surprise mentally and physically. 

Edited by EAV
  • Love 22

The whole "Crane grabbed the Grimoire" thing is setting up season three in so many ways:

Not only that but Franklin makes a S3 set up comment when Abbie asks him how many people amongst the Revolutionaries know about the real war, and he responds there are levels and he's surprised she hasn't met some of those officials in the know in 2015. Again this is a way I thought they'd go with Irving (a witch "in the know" working within the system and Ichabbie  not totally certain of his loyalties in their fight).

• Love 5

After watching the episode again, I dislike that hug more than ever. I wish they hadn't included it, because it brought into sharp relief the imbalance of their relationship, who is the giver and who gets the most out of that relationship. Show some warmth at least, Ichy! Ugh, what a cold fish!

Also, Abbie was absolutely right, Ichy had no choice, no matter what he said. Killing Katrina was self-defense. She was going to kill him. It was more instinct than anything. Would he have made the choice to kill her if she had only tried to kill Abbie? I don't believe it for a second.

I totally disagree with this reading of the scene. Ichabod actually risked his own life to save Abbie. Katrina didn't try to kill Crane first here. She went after Abbie first. He put himself between Abbie and Katrina. If he wanted to save his own ass first he could have just run and let Abbie die. And then figured out a way to stop Katrina.

Instead he put himself, at his own peril, between Katrina and Abbie. He wanted to reason with Katrina before resorting to killing her. But there is no way in Hell you'll convince me he wasn't saving Abbie for Abbie sake. Like I understand hating a character but what we saw in screen IMO was crane risking his own life to save Abbie because that is who Katrina was trying to kill first.

I don't think the hug was imbalance. That was Abbie's choice to hug him. And I don't think she particularly expected a hug back either.  It was like in the Sin Eater. She was overwhelmed with emotion and was worried she might never see her partner again. Hugging the Ichabod of the past was not something he expected, so I don't think it makes him a cold fish to not hug her back.  The Present Crane would hug her back.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 12

When Abbie says, "You ready, Captain?" it just gets to me. There is so much said with that. It's the first time in the 21st century Crane's character as a man has been acknowledged since possibly the pilot. Straight up respect for him in a way that hasn't been overtly said before. Though Abbie has always realized and respected his humanity, she had no frame of reference to realize and respect how much he lost as a Captain with nothing to command. His command was his identity, the backbone of who he was as a person. It was the one thing I think he felt he created about himself for himself. Abbie calling him Captain means so much more for them going forward.

When Crane turns around, you can see on his face that he is registering that too.

It was beautifully acted and stays with me.

ITA!!  That really got me as well.  As much as has been talked about this episode flipping the script with Abbie & Ichabod and Abbie being the man out of time, it did something else. It allowed  her see him.  Whereas Ichabod Crane first got to meet Lieutenant Mills.  This allowed Miss Abbie Mills to meet Captain Crane.    It was a nice synergy in so many ways. 

The whole "Crane grabbed the Grimoire" thing is setting up season three in so many ways: Headless will be trying to get it to bring back Katrina, Jenny will be tempted by it during various crises, Angel Emo will try to snag it for various good-seeming reasons, Moloch will be trying to get hold of it for Apocalypse II--This Time It's Super Personal, and so on. Plus, maybe even Crane and Abbie will be lured into buying or trading it for something.

The bell also rung which theoretically activated a coven full of evil witches who could theoretically use that grimoire if they got their hands on it.  So between the grimoire, the fugitives from Purgatory and the (theoretically) possible still Apocalypse -- there is a lot more story to tell.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 4

I agreed with Indi's reading of the hug initially, but then I thought of Crane and Katrina's interaction in both past and present. They don't physically demonstrate their affection in the casual warm way present Crane and Abbie do. Theirs isn't a quick kiss or shoulder rub in greeting. Interactions were pretty restrained to my eyes. It did hurt my feels a bit, but I think it would have read OOC if he'd hugged right back.

I also like the comments made about Abbie calling him Captain, acknowledging that part of him that was truly self made. That went over my head and the moment and all it means will stay with me too.

• Love 3

I totally disagree with this reading of the scene.

Same. Abbie's life was in danger when he leapt into action "instinctually", not Ichabods, and he armed himself with a knife, he was clearly and decisively prepared to kill Katrina to save Abbie. Further during the hug it was clear how moved he was, but as a man *within* his own time, he had no experience stepping outside the etiquette of his time to respond in kind. Again I loved how his first words post hug were how anxious he was to get to the place where he gets to know her all over again, and they have intimacy! 

• Love 8