Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Tempus Fugit

In my head canon, (haha) Abbie delivering that ass kicking to the Colonel was an "I'm sorry" to the viewers for sidelining her during the pivotal fight with Headless in The Akeda.  Remember she got shot in the arm and Jenny had to tend to her?  Ugh.  All that build-up for nothing.  This is the Abbie we know and love.

• Love 4

Ben Franklin really did invent swim fins when he was a kid although his version went on the hands instead of the feet. Still, I'll give it to him.

I didn't dislike this season quite as much as a lot of people did but I'm glad Katrina's a goner and glad the slate is cleared for next season, if there is one. Now I can recommend the show to friends without having to provide a lot of weird, crazy backstory. The central four cast is really lovely so I hope the show gets another shot.

• Love 4

It hit me in that last scene that they literally gave us the four of them. Like, here they are, this is what you all wanted. The original team of four, heading out the door to face the future.

I got chills watching that moment.

Would it have killed Abbie to hug Ichabod?!?! He just killed his wife for cripes sakes.

That was my first thought, too, but then I thought, the guy needs a moment to process. I don't think he would have even felt Abbie hugging him, he was so in shock over what he'd just done and who he'd just lost. He needed a moment to himself. If this show comes back in the fall, I think there will be plenty of time for a real hug between them, and this time it will be between Abbie and Real Time Crane, not Past Crane who's confused why Abbie is getting way too intimate with him (LOL).

Or, what catrox14 said. *GRIN*

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 6

Obviously, for the better part of two seasons, Crane has been wishing his wife were free from Purgatory,

Sorry, dude, but Katrina was out at the end of Season 1; that's why I was flipped for poor Grace Abigail when she was with her and Jenny's doppelgangers in the freaky Dollhouse of Doom.  Because Abbie was a boss and told Crane to save his wife, as he was going to save Abbie as well. There is no "the better part of two seasons"  with Katrina in Purgatory.

I'd not get so angry, but it was a flipping major plot point for the season that just ended tonight!

• Love 2

Does anyone know what Abbie was looking at when she told Franklin "we still use that" or something to that effect?

I thought it was the doppelganger. The guy they made to fight headless and then just wandered off. Someone help me with his name.

Would it have killed Abbie to hug Ichabod?!?! He just killed his wife for cripes sakes. And they were just talking about hugging it out right before. An excellent episode and nice set up to next year. I think the writers knew all along what they were doing. They just didn't count on the impatient audience with an attention span of half an hour. They planned on evil Katrina all along but her storyline went on WAY too long. A shorter season may have helped.

With all due respect - this is horribly unfair. The audience has quite an attention span - the issue was shoving SO much Katrina on us and sidelining all of the characters (besides Ichabod) that we cared about.

I'm still not completely convinced that this is true either - abaiers made it VERY clear that they were making CHANGES. They completely reshot most of the back half of the season... originally, Katrina figured much more prominently in their original versions for the season - and that would have killed the show in ratings even worse.

Impatient? If we were impatient we would have left the show swinging in the wind to die.

• Love 9

I thought it was the doppelganger. The guy they made to fight headless and then just wandered off. Someone help me with his name.

It was the Kindred.  I was really hoping we'd see him again in the past..

• Love 1

I do have to say I don't get what was steamy about the carriage ride.

I get it. It was hot. The tension, the leaning in towards each other. The passion with which Abbie was desperately trying to convince Ichabod. It was great IMO

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

My only concern is that it might leading to Crane resenting Abbie and I wouldn't want to see their friendship hurt by all this. It's the best part of the show.

They might go there but I don't see it as being significant or lasting and I think Ichabod would be angrier at what his destiny has cost him than anything about Abbie. He said "We all had a choice" and even though the actual death  of Katrina had a little ambiguity in that it could possibly be interpreted as an accident that Katrina was fatally stabbed in that moment, the fact is that Ichabod had tried to grab the knife off the table when Katrina was using magic to throttle Abbie. He had the conscious intent to end Katrina before she ended Abbie. He made his choice as to which loss he could bear and which he could not.

• Love 7

I do have to say I don't get what was steamy about the carriage ride.

For me it was the utter shock of Ichabod nearly jumping in Abbie's face and them talking all intensely so close to each other like that.

It caught me off guard... they were in a carriage... I know it was a parallel to the same convo they had in Abbie's car, but it's different when both of them weren't driving the carriage - they were riding.

And the way he told her to brace herself.

Whew.

Sorry - I'm trying actively not to ship them anymore - but that scene proves they even have antagonistic chemistry... just off the charts. Wow. I kinda want them to fight a lot now, lol.

They might go there but I don't see it as being significant or lasting and I think Ichabod would be angrier at what his destiny has cost him than anything about Abbie. He said "We all had a choice" and even though the actual death  of Katrina had a little ambiguity in that it could possibly be interpreted as an accident that Katrina was fatally stabbed in that moment, the fact is that Ichabod had tried to grab the knife off the table when Katrina was using magic to throttle Abbie. He had the conscious intent to end Katrina before she ended Abbie. He made his choice as to which loss he could bear and which he could not.

Yeah - I think when he said that "We all had a choice", he meant that Katrina had a choice too - she tried to kill Abbie, so Ichabod had to end HER.

He had to choose between them, between good and evil and he chose good. He chose Abbie.

That part where he was crouched over on the floor though... holding in his cries... lord that was hard to watch. Poor Ichabod. I can't imagine having to kill someone I loved (once loved, whatever)...

And um - can Ichabod in the present get a hat like that? It's kinda hot...

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 7

YAY!!

But now I'll spend the hiatus fretting over the very real possibility that they'll bring StruggleWitch back. Either that or Ichy will spend S3 wailing about how he had to kill his beloved wife. Still, I am happy she's dead. It was out of character for him to do it and I don't believe for a second Ichy is the kind of man, who would kill an evil member of his family for the greater good, but there it is.

Abbie and Grace rocked my world. They were so beautiful together!

• Love 6

With all due respect - this is horribly unfair. The audience has quite an attention span - the issue was shoving SO much Katrina on us and sidelining all of the characters (besides Ichabod) that we cared about.

I'm still not completely convinced that this is true either - abaiers made it VERY clear that they were making CHANGES. They completely reshot most of the back half of the season... originally, Katrina figured much more prominently in their original versions for the season - and that would have killed the show in ratings even worse.

Impatient? If we were impatient we would have left the show swinging in the wind to die.

Yeah, upon reading that, it did sound sharp - sorry. I meant, as I said, she over stayed her welcome but there did seem to be a plan. It just dragged on and on....

• Love 2

While we're doing shallow for a minute, I go back and forth on Ichabod's hotness, depending on how silly he is being in any given moment, but when he kept turning his head in the selfie video to talk to Abbie, and exposing his neck ...

Yeah, I'll be in my bunk.

• Love 7

I get it. It was hot. The tension, the leaning in towards each other. The passion with which Abbie was desperately trying to convince Ichabod. It was great IMO

Oh, I loved the scene. It just didn't give me anything sexual. (*whispers* and I do kinda sorta ship them...)

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 1

Oh, I loved the scene. It just didn't give me anything sexual.

Well I didn't think they were gonna do it right there in the carriage (although I'm sure that scene has inspired all kinds of fan fiction), but it was hot nonetheless...

• Love 3

Abbie in the scene where Crane's superior threatened to send Abbie to the runaway slave encampment... Nicole Beharie made this subtle face of absolute pain... I felt that.

And the parallel in the carriage - the 3 miles to convince me!! Same thing in Abbie's car!!!

Okay - just saw the carriage scene again - whew... it was Crane himself who jumped all in Abbie's face and she had to take a slight motion backward, lol...

Also - in some of the Katrina scenes with Abraham, there is a significant difference in temperature - because Katrina's breath comes out in cold puffs of air, while none of that happens with Crane and Abbie... that to me screams some stuff was reshot. I still don't buy what Goffman is selling that they planned this all along.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 8

Furthermore, it wasn't just about Abbie, although the scene certainly implied that.  We've seen this same parallel with Katrina and Henry.  Despite all the evil shit Henry kept doing, Katrina ignored it and said that he was misunderstood, that there was good inside him, blah blah.  All the while, people ended up dead and things were falling apart.  

Now you have Ichabod wanting to save Katrina despite all the bad shit she's doing, and he finally realized with Abbie's life in the balance, that Katrina could no longer be saved.  Hence the "We all have a choice" line.  As it was, Ichabod already made the mistake once in sparing Henry's life, and he couldn't take that chance again.  

But like he said, they all had a choice in what they did and what they would become.  Katrina chose to align herself with evil, and Ichabod had to make the choice of which was more important: Katrina, or the innocent people (including Abbie) who would end up being the targets of her wrath.

• Love 10

But like he said, they all had a choice in what they did and what they would become.  Katrina chose to align herself with evil, and Ichabod had to make the choice of which was more important: Katrina, or the innocent people (including Abbie) who would end up being the targets of her wrath.

I think in this moment though, it was all about Ichabod saving Abbie.

• Love 4

I was confused by the "We all had a choice" line while I was watching. And I think you guys are right. He's both emphasizing that he chose to save Abbie (as opposed to just 'doing what he had to'), and also that Katrina chose to put herself in a place where he had to make that choice.

Can anyone tell by my dozen posts that I'm too keyed up by this episode to go to sleep anytime soon? :D

• Love 5

WHEN there is a season 3 - they need to do a marathon of like 24 hours of nothing but Sleepy Hollow... skipping most of season 2 ... right before Season 3 premieres...

:)

Does anyone else feel VINDICATED by that finale?

I do.

*dances around*

Oh and no way Crane would have done 08-18 for his birthday. He would have typed 8-18. Just saying. Human factors researcher here... I know this stuff, lol.

Abbie had an awesome moment as she held dude's head before she slammed it into the bars... she was all sweet with her "this is american strength" --> WHAM!

Ha ha! I loved it.

And that scene where Captain Crane asks Abbie about how she came back with Katrina because "you knew I wouldn't survive without you..." and Abbie says she didn't know or have time to think about whether it would be a one way ticket... and Crane looked at her with this look of shock and awe on his face like he was so surprised she'd do that for his future self...

Yeah Captain Crane - that's the witness bond.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 8

WHEN there is a season 3 - they need to do a marathon of like 24 hours of nothing but Sleepy Hollow... skipping most of season 2 ... right before Season 3 premieres...

:)

Sleepy Hollow s2: The Season That Never Was

• Love 4

Oh he definitely meant that Katrina made her choice, to side with evil, and he made his, and I think without regret. I will say I don't need them to utterly skip over his pain, I think he's entitled to mourn not just her but to doubt the ways he put his faith in her despite all her lies, it should shake him up, but I'm hoping we'll see The Witnesses working through these issues of trust and doubt in themselve/each other for years to come, just like my beloved MSR: you are my touchstone!!!

• Love 6

In some ways I kind of wish this turns out to be the series finale.  I like the idea of Ichabod mostly closing the door on his past life and moving into the future with Abbie, Jenny and Frank.

If there's a new season, we're going to have to get new stuff.  New characters, new plots, especially newer villains.  Sure, Orion is hanging around and Headless has a bone to pick with Ichabod at this point, but neither of them really seem to be plotters or planners.

• Love 2

Sure, Orion is hanging around and Headless has a bone to pick with Ichabod at this point, but neither of them really seem to be plotters or planners.

Yes, we need more devious villains than those two and their all-caps I WILL DESTROY ALL WHO STAND AGAINST ME approach to dastardly acts. Just please, no-one ever who explains cunning plaaaans at great length.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 4

This episode should have been titled, "Baby come back..." remember that song?!?!

*grins* Very well. I love that song.

For me it was the utter shock of Ichabod nearly jumping in Abbie's face and them talking all intensely so close to each other like that.

It caught me off guard... they were in a carriage... I know it was a parallel to the same convo they had in Abbie's car, but it's different when both of them weren't driving the carriage - they were riding.

And the way he told her to brace herself.

Whew.

Sorry - I'm trying actively not to ship them anymore - but that scene proves they even have antagonistic chemistry... just off the charts. Wow. I kinda want them to fight a lot now, lol.

I definitely want some passionate fights now too. It was hot!

And um - can Ichabod in the present get a hat like that? It's kinda hot...

Yeah, hat wearing Ichabod was all sorts of hot. I think it was also how decisive he was in addition to the hat. A combination of the two, perhaps? lol

In some ways I kind of wish this turns out to be the series finale. I like the idea of Ichabod mostly closing the door on his past life and moving into the future with Abbie, Jenny and Frank.

If there's a new season, we're going to have to get new stuff. New characters, new plots, especially newer villains. Sure, Orion is hanging around and Headless has a bone to pick with Ichabod at this point, but neither of them really seem to be plotters or planners.

Oh johntfs

Come into the light with us and DREAM for a Season 3!! DREAM!!!!

Yes we need more devious villains than those two and their all-caps I WILL DESTROY ALL WHO STAND AGAINST ME approach to dastardly acts. Just please, no-one ever who explains cunning plaaaans at great length.

Come on - there are like a bajillion big bad demons they can bring out... start breaking more seals and stuff... Edited by OnceSane
  • Love 3

Oh, my God.  They killed Franklin!

That was a great episode and that was the kind of batshit crazy storyline that made me love Sleepy Hollow in the first place.  This season was an inconsistent ride but they finished strong in the past three episodes.

I absolutely loved the time travel stuff and that it allowed for Ichabod and Abbie to meet each other all over again.  Their chemistry and interaction was great.  Great gag with Ichabod literally sliding the cell phone across the table.  That scene where he accessed the video was wonderful.  Loved the Franklin stuff.  I thought he might get killed but still...you don't see a Founding Father get killed on TV or movies.

Headless works so well when he doesn't have to speak (though the Abraham actor always did a good job).  I thought Katrina would be revealed as alive but I think the character's death is for the best.  The writers could never make her character work and the emphasis is back on the big four.

Abbie's meeting with Grace was very well-done, emotional, and touching.  I'm hoping next year Abbie will be able to unthaw her other ancestor from the stone.

Here's hoping for Season 3 because if tonight is any indication, the show is back on the right track!

• Love 4

Only minor issue was little Frank and Jenny, but I loved them at least showing up at the end, and seeing the gang again.  Once again, props to Orlando Jones and Lyndie Greenwood for putting up with the majority of this season.  What troopers.  If we get a next season, I hope this is rectified.

I definitely think it will be, and Orlando and Lyndie will be featured as they deserve. That's why I loved that last scene I think most of all because it was a clear message to the fandom (on top of Katrina dying). We heard you, and if all goes well, these four are who you'll be getting next season.

I literally squealed when I saw the four OGs. The Orginal "Sleepy Hollow" Gangsters. That scene made me really, really happy.

• Love 10

I am sitting here liking comments left and right cause everyone already said what I wanted to say! LOL

Honestly, all of just feels relieve that the struggling witch and her son are finally dead. I didn't believe Katrina is dead at first until her body started to disappeared like Henry's. I just froze for moment after then I started to scream and cheer like a mad woman! Soo freaking happy. 

• Love 3

Best episode in quite a while--it was a bucketload of cracky FUN, which is mostly what I watch this show for. (I'm side-eyeing that the changed past just righted itself, especially because it could have been FUN to have to repair the timeline, but...whatever. Magic!) In particular, Franklin dying was a jaw-dropping moment, and I liked Abbie kicking the ass of the captain guy even if I 500% don't buy that tiny Nicole Beharie could take down that brute of a guy. My big concern, however, is where the show goes from here, as this was clearly a soft reboot. The problem is, it definitely feels like the writers have absolutely no clue where they're going and this was just damage control. But I don't think there's a plan. I realize both characters are disliked, but I might have kept Katrina or Henry around as the Big Bad--in small doses, either character would've worked really well in that capacity. And--I know this is an unpopular opinion--but I could take or leave Irving. I don't think the writers know what to do with him, so I'm not jumping for joy that he's back. Give me the Abbie-Jenny-Crane trio, please! THAT is where it's at.

If anything, this episode was frustrating because it showed how much the writers are capable of when they try, and how shoddy most of this season was. The build-up to this should have been MUCH tighter, with no stupid Hawley shit and Katrina going shady way before like 1.5 episodes ago and Henry not being so friggin' lame.

• Love 1

Best episode in quite a while--it was a bucketload of cracky FUN, which is mostly what I watch this show for. (I'm side-eyeing that the changed past just righted itself, especially because it could have been FUN to have to repair the timeline, but...whatever. Magic!) In particular, Franklin dying was a jaw-dropping moment, and I liked Abbie kicking the ass of the captain guy even if I 500% don't buy that tiny Nicole Beharie could take down that brute of a guy. My big concern, however, is where the show goes from here, as this was clearly a soft reboot. The problem is, it definitely feels like the writers have absolutely no clue where they're going and this was just damage control. But I don't think there's a plan. I realize both characters are disliked, but I might have kept Katrina or Henry around as the Big Bad--in small doses, either character would've worked really well in that capacity. And--I know this is an unpopular opinion--but I could take or leave Irving. I don't think the writers know what to do with him, so I'm not jumping for joy that he's back. Give me the Abbie-Jenny-Crane trio, please! THAT is where it's at.

If anything, this episode was frustrating because it showed how much the writers are capable of when they try, and how shoddy most of this season was. The build-up to this should have been MUCH tighter, with no stupid Hawley shit and Katrina going shady way before like 1.5 episodes ago and Henry not being so friggin' lame.

I have concern too as to where this show will be headed in Season 3.  It talks about new challenges and how their work is not over.  But what's next?  Moloch is gone, Henry is gone, and so is Katrina.  What's left for them to do?  Does it just become villain of the week? 

I'm still looking very much forward to a Season 3 if we get it but I totally agree that the writers do not have a plan.  I only hope Fox is smart enough to have the show go back to 13 episodes.  Less time for filler.

• Love 1

Confession: I was so excited about this show that I mommy multi-tasked. Propped up sick little boy who refused to get out of my lap while I was watching the show and read hilarious tweets during commercials. I feel entirely vindicated in my decision since this season finale(naming and claiming) was so frickin' awesome. Loved the callbacks to season one, loved hearing my own intake of breath when Franklin lost his head, loved how Abbie fought for her friend and fellow witness. And I'm with everyone else who felt the heat in the carriage scene. If I'd had a free hand, I'd have fanned myself. Will be rewatching soon and looking for fanfic to tide me over. *peeps hopefully over at Halcyon Days or Creeping Muse

That was amazing!!! All the callbacks, the humor, the horseman being terrifying, Franklin being awesome and then his shocking death, Crane and Abbie being partners in every era, Abbie saving herself like a badass, the emotion with Grace, Katrina kicking finally...it was perfect! Renew it now, FOX!

Edited by cynic

You know, if Crane and Abbie are doing it as partners, I'd watch them chase down stray dogs. I'm not worried about the writers coming up with adversaries. They did it fine before Katrina absorbed the entire show like a badly-dyed sponge.

• Love 11