Type keyword(s) to search

Better Call Saul Podcasts

ALenore
  • Start Topic

I searched, and there were dozens. Do you have any recommendations?

The one in the top fifteen (as of now), "Better Call Saul Insider." It has a picture of Saul/Jimmy at a pay phone in the desert. It's the one with Vince, Kelley Dixon and other actual cast/crew.

I've never listened to fan-created ones before, so It's the only one I know. Plus, I like to hear writers like Vince, and the ones he's hired, talk about their work.

• Love 2

I just listened to the first episode of Better Call Saul Insider Podcast, thought it was great.   I actually never listened to any of the Breaking Bad podcasts, even though I watched all the episodes of Breaking Bad from the beginning.  I liked Bob Odenkirk discussing how he didn't want to direct and/or know what was going to happen to Jimmy/Saul, that he wanted the writers to determine the character.   Also interesting to hear about how the Jimmy/skateboarder accident was created digitally, but the second accident, the abuela/skateboarder one, the windshield was actually cracked.   They were afraid at first that the stuntman might have been hurt, until he gave them thumbs up.  

Edited by ALenore
  • Love 1

The Breaking Bad podcasts were fantastic and I've only listened to one of BCS (the third one) but it's equally as good.  If you're interested in the making of TV, these are some of the best ones out there. (Not that I listen to many.)  But they really go in depth.

But definitely not for BB-virgins if you'd like to remain unspoiled.  Or at least not yet.  So much of it is how they transitioned from one show to this one and how they had to keep what they established on Breaking Bad in developing BCS.

• Love 1

I think these podcasts (the "Insider" official podcasts) are such a treasure for future filmakers. How cool is it that Vince, the cast and crew are willing to share the process behind their productions? I love listening to them after each show. I especially like re-watching the episode after listening to them to pick up on things that they talk about.

• Love 6

Outdid themselves again with the 105 podcast.  I feel so lucky to have these.  I wish every show I like enough to listen to an hour and twenty minute podcast did them for us. 

Someone made them a toy sex toilet!  The next episode is supposed to be crazy!

• Love 2

I think if this show started to really slip, I would still watch so I could listen to the podcasts. Kind of like I watched Revolution to the bitter, crappy end to be able to participate in the lovely snark on the boards. (Crap, did I just admit to watching that show?)

• Love 1
(edited)

Rhea Seehorn (Kim) has been a revelation in the last 2 podcasts. She has a very learned, professional approach to her craft that I really appreciate.

You are so right! She's really articulate with a fabulous sense of humour. I forget the number of the podcast, but in the first one that featured her she told a long story about first getting the part, and dealing with all the secrecy around the scripts. She was told that the name of her character would keep changing in any material that might be leaked (I think I understood that right) and she misunderstood this to mean that she had to change her own name from week to week, and she was so anxious to please everyone that she quickly agreed. It was hilarious, and she had Gilligan and company almost rolling on the floor. (If I got this wrong, someone please correct me.)

Edited by duVerre
  • Love 4

That was a funny story, but I didn't really understand why her character's name would have had to be so secret. I mean, even if it was leaked she was playing Kim Wexler, what would that really mean to anyone? Was she ever mentioned in BB?

• Love 1
(edited)

If I may break the digital wall for a moment - we've had weeks of passionate discussion over if Breaking Bad should be mentioned and how - I think the motivation to keep changing names is smart. VG shared before that all of the BB character names came from his life, most memorable to me was his girlfriend Holly inspiring baby Holly's name. I think the BB fandom would poop kittens if the Better Call Saul team committed to a name in preproduction and didn't follow through.

Or perhaps her character was called jello and they didn't get the rights to use it.

Quick edit: I do not recall the name Kim Wexler in BB but I've only seen the series 7 times.

Edited by wrestlesflamingos
  • Love 2

I wish I could feel the same lurve for the Insider podcasts as others. The last one (#5) was the best, but still, most of them are 50% Breaking Bad references and 30% random chat that have nothing to do with the episode. Just wish they'd focus more on the actual episodes. 

• Love 2

I thought it was interesting when they mentioned in the episode #5  Insider Podcast that the relationship between Jimmy and Chuck was inspired in part by the relationship between R. Crumb and his brother (also name Chuck).  I loved the movie Crumb. I know that Charles Crumb was a recluse for many years, rarely leaving his house . He eventually commited suicide. 

• Love 2

I'm not going to be able to listen to the podcast anytime soon (I only drive a mile to work), so can anyone confirm or deny my theory on Kaylee's age as depicted in the Five-O episode?:

...So, since the episode unfolded with a non-linear chronology...

we are in fact viewing future Kaylee (around the time of Breaking Bad) being pushed in the swing by Mike....

I would have to watch the episode again to decide if what they said fits with your theory.  And possibly listen to the podcast again.  They did talk about what they described as a "bleach bypass process" (though it's now all digital) which gives things a bluish and less clear look.  They specified using this effect to denote a change in time, but I don't recall whether they specified these time jumps being into the past or not.

• Love 1

...They did talk about what they described as a "bleach bypass process" (though it's now all digital) which gives things a bluish and less clear look.  They specified using this effect to denote a change in time, but I don't recall whether they specified these time jumps being into the past or not.

Thanks, Consternation. I was thinking the blue effect denoted a flash-forward to the future.

Sorry, I still haven't listened to the Five-O podcast, and I have another question: Did VG or anyone mention that losing Matty is supposed to explain or in any way tie into the bonding between Jessie and Mike in the last season of BrBa?

• Love 1

Sorry, I still haven't listened to the Five-O podcast, and I have another question: Did VG or anyone mention that losing Matty is supposed to explain or in any way tie into the bonding between Jessie and Mike in the last season of BrBa?

Not that I recall. There were a whole lot of tangents this episode!

• Love 1

I missed a significant chunk in the middle of the podcast due to real life intervening, but no, I didn't hear any mention of Jesse either.  Jonathan Banks did allude to being able to relate to having a kid put you on a pedastal, then disappointing them.  It made me think of Jesse calling Walter "Mr. White" almost to the end, then . . . but that was my own connection, nothing that was said. 

On another note, I think it was mentioned that it was the writer's first television episode ever.  Can you imagine?

• Love 1

I just love how VG describes everyone he works with as fantastic or wonderful. etc. I'm sure some would say it sounds fake, but he sounds like he just really admires the people he works with and who work for him. Damn, am I jealous.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 2

I like it too.  I think it's a gift to see all the awesomeness that your co-workers bring as I feel he does.  Or at least Podcast Vince does. 

I especially like that he usually can name someone like the "wonderful" assistant to the key grip in episode 3 of Breaking Bad if it comes up.  But I do think he has a thorough list of who had a part in creating the episode they're discussing.  It must be thrilling to get a shout out on the podcast.

• Love 1

I loved on the latest podcast when Julie Ann Emery (Betsy Kettleman) first said she was a fan of the podcast, then kept talking about how her husband was in a "wonderful play" and so on. She did that a few times, and Vince didn't seem to notice, but it cracked me up.

• Love 2

Unfortunately, I listen to the Insider podcast whilst doing housework. Because it'd be a hoot to play the "wonderful" drinking game.

Julie talked about creating a backstory for those Kettlemans. (And earlier Rhea and Bob did the same re: Kim & Jimmy.) Some The Walking Dead posters have criticized actors doing that, but it makes total sense to me.

I can't believe I I never knew about the "Breaking Bad" Insider podcasts. I love hearing about different aspects of the creative process from varying perspectives.

• Love 3

107 was the first podcast that put me to sleep. First, I could not distinguish between the actress who played Betsy Kettleman and the woman who wrote the episode. Then, they kept going off on tangents that had nothing to do with the episode or even the series. Poor Kelley Dixon just couldn't keep this one on track.

• Love 1

This last one for episode 8 was better. I liked the actor who played Hamlin. He had a lot of interesting things to add about how an actor helps develop the character.

• Love 2