Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Going South

paigow

A tech billionaire hires Team Scorpion to rescue his kidnapped daughter. Meanwhile, some feelings get hurt when Walter gives an interview and fails to acknowledge the other members of the team.

I guess it wouldn't be Scorpion without them getting themselves "into another fine mess"* via some impossible screw up contrivance--this time the CIA had a contact who was totally sold out to the cartel and the CIA had no idea. Sheesh. But that's how they role on Scorpion.

*Laurel and Hardy

I don't understand Paige's role in going after a drug cartel. She did good with the Spanish, but she's got a son at home with a father that's absentee. Why does she keep still going to situations that will kill her?

Walter being more worried for Sylvester dating his sister than his sister was sweet.

• Love 6

The Sylvester and Sister relationship is gold...love it. The duct taped clock was hilarious and the dancing so sweet and also hilarious. 

Walter's interview descriptions were arsehole arrogance.  I hate it when that happens.

Cabe is so kick ass all the time.  Very cool.

Totally agree about Paige!

• Love 1

Does Walter really need to do publicity for Scorpion?  Were they that bored, unstimulated, or broke?

The tech billionaire offers to pay big.  Each member of Scorpion should've been fabulously rewarded.  Agree with the above posts. . Paige almost gets ripped to shreds by gunfire in Mexico.  Last episode she also was a moment away from being shot in the head on the boat.  Paige ought to be financially set to walk away.

The new report showed Walter during the rescue of the boy at the beach.  However, nothing in the segment about his involvement in averting the jet from crashing (plenty of damage to the airport tower) or solving the bomber of the building in downtown LA.  Those would've been huge local news stories.

I liked Megan dancing with her feet on Sylvester's.

• Love 1

The thing about the interview was that Walter had no way of controlling how that was edited and what the reporter said at all when he wasn't even there.  I don't really get why the team was THAT upset about it.  I do understand that his initial thought when they asked to interview him should've been to include the whole team.  That was thoughtless and self-centered, yes.  But, the interview appeared (to me at least) to be heavily edited.  Who knows what amounts of praise he could've said about the rest of the team that they just edited out.  Also, how can they get mad about how the reporter described the rest of the team when they weren't even there (but SUPER NANNY??  That's offensive to everyone involved). 

• Love 2

In this episode Walter talked about preparing for his sister passing.  If he has one of the highest IQs on the planet, then why isn't his character working 24/7 on helping his sister?

Edited by Beach Party
  • Love 1

This was definitely one of those episodes were I found it hard to buy Paige tagging along.  Granted, they found a way to make her character useful by having her convince that one lady to let them use her room, but I just have problems buying that they would want anyone in a Cartel-controlled area, unless they were really needed.

The interview stuff was just a bunch of idiotic stuff.  Walter was his normal arrogant self by not finding a way to include the team, and refusing to just apologized.  But, it sounded like he did give the news crew the right info, but they were the ones that bungled that part, so the ire of the team over that particular development should have been directed at the news network, and not Walter. 

At least there was the Sly/Megan stuff.  I actually enjoyed that.  Which means that I sadly think Walt will be right, and she's going to die, in order to impact both Walt and Sly.

I get that they were going for with Happy and the kid, but I'm honestly a bit miffed that Happy gave away Cabe's watch as a gift. Granted, Cabe could have just refused and put an end to it, but I felt like I was suppose to think Cabe was selfish and whatnot, and I wasn't seeing it.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

I get that they were going for with Happy and the kid, but I'm honestly a bit miffed that Happy gave away Cabe's watch as a gift. Granted, Cabe could have just refused and put an in to it, but I felt like I was suppose to think Cabe was selfish and whatnot, and I wasn't seeing it.

Happy is such a weird character for me.  At first I couldn't stand her.  Then I kind of liked her and now I think she is starting to get into Mary Sue territory.  She can seem to do almost anything that the situation calls for.  It's annoying to me.

I get that they were going for with Happy and the kid, but I'm honestly a bit miffed that Happy gave away Cabe's watch as a gift. Granted, Cabe could have just refused and put an in to it, but I felt like I was suppose to think Cabe was selfish and whatnot, and I wasn't seeing it.

I was miffed that they couldn't give the kid a damn lift to the airport with them or drop him off in a major city outside the cartel's territory where he could get lost. "Hope you don't get mugged for this watch, kid, and hope you get to a pawn shop and bus station before the cartel catches up! Good luck!"

• Love 7

I was miffed that they couldn't give the kid a damn lift to the airport with them or drop him off in a major city outside the cartel's territory where he could get lost. "Hope you don't get mugged for this watch, kid, and hope you get to a pawn shop and bus station before the cartel catches up! Good luck!"

That's what I was thinking.

• Love 2

Sly and Megan are adorable this is one instance where I would be glad to see a miracle cure.

I kept waiting for a nod to Doc and Happy's relationship upgrade but I was disappointed on that score.

I liked Paiges handling of the Walter client relations at the beggining it showed her role in abelieveable way. As for why Paige keeps going into dangerous situations I think her reasons are two fold. Firstly I think she truly believes that Walter and the team have her back and would do anything to get her out of trouble. (Which Walter has actually proven at this point imo) Secoundly I think Paige believes the work Scorpion does is important and worth whatever risk is involved. I hesitate to judge her on that for one there are plenty of female cops and soldiers who make that same choice. I also feel like there is slippery slope there feminism wise should single mothers be barred from certian positions based on what might happen? I get that parenthood means putting your child first but the world doesn't stop being a risk just because you I have child. Even if it is a risk , Scorpion is also clearly the opportunity of a lifetime for both Paige and Ralph. I also have to wonder if we would even be having this conversation if Paige was a single father.

As annoying as some of the interview and its fallout was. I like that the show is giving Walter real flaws.

• Love 3

Did I imagine the part where one of the cartel guys in the shootout yelled out that our heroes were "putas" and it got by the censor?

They translated it as "sons of bitches" (the guy actually yelled "hijo de puta"--which DOES mean that), but its a funny old word that also means something even worse when you take it out of that phrase.  

Edited by Kromm

Did I imagine the part where one of the cartel guys in the shootout yelled out that our heroes were "putas" and it got by the censor?

They translated it as "sons of bitches" (the guy actually yelled "hijo de puta"--which DOES mean that), but its a funny old word that also means something even worse when you take it out of that phrase.  

That did indeed get by the ears of Standards & Practices

• Love 1

That did indeed get by the ears of Standards & Practices

Not to mention that a little bit later (when they get trapped by the machine guns) the baddies did simply call our heroes "putas" (without the hijo de),  I replayed that portion and just noticed that.

I need them to better explain why Walt's sister needs to be hospitalized 24/7 if I'm going to feel badly about her not being able to dance.  I get that she has MS, and leg braces, but there are people functioning in the world in wheelchairs who can live on their own with some home support.  It's just too unrealistic for me to get emotionally involved.  The utter lack of reality of the rest of the show is irrelevant because, hey, it's a fun show.  Kind of reminds me of Macgyver.  If her story line is going to continue they need to fix some of it.

• Love 7

As for why Paige keeps going into dangerous situations I think her reasons are two fold. Firstly I think she truly believes that Walter and the team have her back and would do anything to get her out of trouble. (Which Walter has actually proven at this point imo) Secoundly I think Paige believes the work Scorpion does is important and worth whatever risk is involved. I hesitate to judge her on that for one there are plenty of female cops and soldiers who make that same choice. I also feel like there is slippery slope there feminism wise should single mothers be barred from certian positions based on what might happen? I get that parenthood means putting your child first but the world doesn't stop being a risk just because you I have child. Even if it is a risk , Scorpion is also clearly the opportunity of a lifetime for both Paige and Ralph. I also have to wonder if we would even be having this conversation if Paige was a single father.

I don't think Paige being a single mother has anything to do with it. Paige doesn't really have any skillset that makes it necessary for her to go on these missions with the team (OK, in this episode her Spanish came in handy, but I don't think the team knew they were going to need it in advance), so why does she keep tagging along and getting put in these risky scenarios when she doesn't have to? Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 2

I need them to better explain why Walt's sister needs to be hospitalized 24/7 if I'm going to feel badly about her not being able to dance.  I get that she has MS, and leg braces, but there are people functioning in the world in wheelchairs who can live on their own with some home support.  It's just too unrealistic for me to get emotionally involved.  The utter lack of reality of the rest of the show is irrelevant because, hey, it's a fun show.  Kind of reminds me of Macgyver.  If her story line is going to continue they need to fix some of it.

I'm scratching it up to "Walter has money from his exploits as a genius and offered to provide his sister top of the line care"

In this episode Walter talked about preparing for his sister passing.  If he has one of the highest IQs on the planet, then why isn't his character working 24/7 on helping his sister?

Because based on what they've said is wrong with her, she's probably got another 10-15 years? Not that it doesn't take years to develop and test new drugs. It's still so odd to me how they act like she might drop dead at any moment, like she's got months, when really given she's not even wheelchair bound yet, she's far from death's door. They really chose the wrong disease given the foreboding with which they play the discussion. They should've given her some super rare form of cancer that or something. They still seem to want to have it both ways with Megan. Talk about her as if her health is fading fast, but have the character up and about and energetic and barely inconvenienced by her current mobility issues, which yes, will get worse and be painful and hard for everyone in her life to deal with, but it makes no sense she's in a 24/7 care facility at this point.

Also he's a hacker and general know-it-all genius, not a biologist. If they told us Walter never had any money because he always poured all of it into funding some private lab research on the disease, I'd buy that better than him trying to cure it himself.

• Love 2

...They really chose the wrong disease given the foreboding with which they play the discussion. They should've given her some super rare form of cancer that or something....

I'm trying to thing of what would be the disease name equivalent of handwavium. Handwavieitis?
  • Love 1

Handwavietis if she's got inflammation of her handwavium; handwavioma if it's cancer; Handwavium's Syndrome if we're thinkin' some sort of genetic abnormality, unfortunately with higher occurrence in women of Irish descent with high IQ in the family. Or maybe she's got both Inner Handwavium A and the more rare Lower Handwavium C, which are viral and sadly, incurable and do not respond in the slightest to antiviral medications. Recent attempts at vaccine have been unsuccessful.

• Love 8

...Handwavium's Syndrome if we're thinkin' some sort of genetic abnormality, unfortunately with higher occurrence in women of Irish descent with high IQ in the family....

Perfect! And it will soon be discovered that dancing on someone else's feet is a cure, right?
  • Love 1

I don't know if I am doing this quotation thing correctly but I agree entirely!  I was thinking isn't this kid going to get mugged for this watch now?  Great gift!

Love Sylvester and Megan, so sweet!

Was it explained why Happy, the hard core tomboy. had a complete bouffant hairdo the entire episode?  Because that bugged more than almost anything for me.

Well, other than Paige being caught in the middle of a firefight in Mexico.

Or Cabe still running around in a suit.

But still...HAPPY'S HAIR!

Edited by KayElektra
On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2015 at 5:35 AM, Artsda said:

Walter being more worried for Sylvester dating his sister than his sister was sweet.

Normally, I find the touchy feely stuff really boring, but I just love this relationship. My favourite moment was when Sylvester went, "I wonder whether I'm good enough for her, what with my... crippling phobias" as opposed to "weighing 300lbs". Now I'm sure Sylvester would consider his mental problems as being important and his body shape as unimportant (and I think of Meghan would agree), I just liked the fact that a Network show resisted the temptation to go "Look at the fatty! Let's humiliate the fatty! Because he's fat!"

• Love 1