Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: A Wedding

Tara Ariano

A rather sloppily slapped together episode; as they sometimes do, the writers tried to juggle a few too many things. The Tina-Mike proposal for example was just a diversion from the surprise second wedding, while the elder Pierces were mostly useless and unfunny; I could have done with both of these. I also thought they could have cut some screen time from the uninterestingly anxious scatterbrain Brittany; since I think she and her bride are not very compellingly acted or written characters, a good portion of the episode felt overlong (like the endless parade of wedding gowns).

I agree that more time could have been devoted to Blaine and Kurt, but it's not like this whole season has not been planting very blatant signposts as to where they were heading, a result that can't be seen as coming out of nowhere or being improvised. Kurt came back to Lima specifically to win Blaine back and all of those longing and uncertain looks between them, even as they said they were just friends or that a forced kiss did not mean anything, they fact that they both went through therapy, that they both ran to each other in the last two episodes, etc, all TV/movie tropes that were at least as telling as any drawn-out conversation would have been. All of it was capped by the talk with Burt and Carole who told them that you have to take chances in life, which is certainly true. Burt (with an able assist from Carole) may indeed be the voice of reason he has been touted to be.

Whirlwind romances have a long tradition in fiction, as a sign of true passion, and compared to their more famous or ancient predecessors, Blaine and Kurt were rather sedate in their journey from break-up to reconciliation to marriage. As usual, the two actors made it totally believable through their great screen compatibility.

I certainly will not lose any sleep speculating whether their marriage is destined for the dumps. They are fictional characters and I reserve such worries for real people. If the show tells me that their relationship is solid and has a future, well that's it then because they have no existence beyond the chronology presented to us on-screen. Especially in a show that is far from a psychologically realistic character study.

Gina Gershon was visually convincing as the sexy mom, but she should have had more to do with her son other than mouthing "I-love-yous" to each other and a few shots of them dancing together. At least we now know where Cooper takes his penchant for dramatic pointing and that Blaine's low tolerance to alcohol is inherited.

And a lot of the people that hate Blaine say he is a serial cheater because he cheated on Kurt then he kissed Kurt while he was with Dave. ( I still say that a kiss does not a cheater make.)

Yes, "serial cheater" is quite the exaggeration. I would not qualify a spontaneous kiss for which there was no follow-up as cheating, but standards can vary; I see it as rather puritanical to consider that act as full-fledged cheating, whereas it appeared to have no connotations of the sort in context, and was instead just a mistake (albeit a revealing one as far as real feeling).

The contingent of Klaine shippers who wanted Kurt married to Blaine if he had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the altar certainly got their wish in full on screen. That should've been called Two Weddings & Kurt's Funeral.

Judging from Kurt's expression as he was walking down the aisle, I did not see any kicking and screaming going on. He seemed pretty happy at achieving the goal he stated at the start of the season, i.e. winning back Blaine, and his wish of getting married before 30 from a few seasons back. Granted, they were both uncertain after being confronted by Brittany and associates, but it seemed like a logicial reaction to the surprise proposal, while the "Seize the moment" speech from Carole and Burt carried the day.

• Love 1

" Sieze the moment" made absolutely no sense in the case of Kurt and Blaine because they were actually back together for all of probably a few days .

It was probably " seize the moment" epiphanies that got them in trouble by impulsively getting engaged the first time and moving in several times when they weren't ready.

• Love 2

Blaine and Kurt were in a situation where a combination of specific conditions were present, which might never show up again, and it offered them a set of choices. Sure, there is no guarantee that it will work out, but that was exactly the point of the Burt and Carole's talk; in life you make choices and decisions and you live with the consequences, which sometimes are good and other times are not. Making mistakes is part of life and of moving  forward.

"Seize the moment" therefore makes perfect sense in the plot Glee has been setting up for them over a long period, and as I said they have many precedents in fiction that are even more impetuous: Romeo and Juliet for example fall in love at first sight and get married in the space of one day, with absolutely no previous history between them.

At least Blaine and Kurt showed some uncertainty and indecision before taking the plunge. They did not have to make that particular decision, but they were depicted as actively chosing to do it, knowing that life is a craphsoot: you can either choose not to play or you can throw the dice and hope for the best results.

There was nothing to indicate there was any urgency or compelling need to get married right there or then. It not as if the opportunity was lost forever and they would regret not doing it for some particular reason precisly at Brittanna's big day.

Other than getting a free wedding on Brittanna's dime , it's not as if they couldn't decide to get married a week from Tuesday or a month away or six months down the line. It was such a fabricated platitude given to hoist a wedding on Klaine.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 6

Comparing RIB's planning to Shakespeare's is like comparing box wine to vintage.

Also, part of the point of Romeo and Juliet was that their particular brand of seizing the moment was unhealthy and ultimately resulted in both of their deaths. 

• Love 4

Hell, I could have gone even further back in time to the Middle-Ages and mentioned Siegfried and Kriemhild who fall in love at first sight and immediately want to get married. I think it was clear that I was not comparing the level of artistic achievement between Glee and Shakespeare, which is a straw man argument you made up, but was speaking about similarities in plot material.

The point of Romeo and Juliet could also be said to be that their deaths caused the reconciliation of their families and brought social peace to Verona.

Edited by Florinaldo

I suppose that mentioning an example of similarity in plot elements matches the definition of "straw man argument" in some particularly kooky dictionary. I think that in reality it fits what the poster did by replacing the original argument by another one to then disagree with it.

Sponteanous and impetuous romantic decisions have been a familiar trope of storytelling for a long time. Mimi and Rodolfo fall in love and become lovers in the space of an aria in La Bohème; the murderous couple in Zola's Human Beast fall in love and in bed almost the minute they see other; the narrator in Rebecca waits a whole forthnight before marrying the man she just met; Scotty in Vertigo is immediately smitten by "Madeleine". And so on.

In comparison, Blaine and Kurt have been particulary sedate in their road to marriage. Glee did nothing more than use a familiar narrative device in having them accept Brittany's suggestion after just getting back together. It would perhaps not be a very wise move in real life, but this is fiction after all and these are not real people so I am not really bothered by their decision.

Sponteanous and impetuous romantic decisions have been a familiar trope of storytelling for a long time.

Of course "seize the moment" has been used in fiction previously.

An ice berg was used previously in "Titanic" but that doesn't make sense  for it being used in "The Wedding Episode".

The context of Klaine was that "seizing the moment" is what got them into most of their messes.  Blaine fucking a random facebook, and then proposing to Kurt five seconds after reconciling, and than fucking Kurt's ex bully.  (By this philosophy Blaine should have just raped the brain dead Sam, but I digress..)   Kurt impulsively accepting Blaine's proposal, TWICE moving in together  and fighting like cats and dogs and having two messy breakups.

So now three seconds from breaking up the Uhaul/Moped fucking, and the kurt/Old man hookup, we are to believe they should just get married?  Just because a ranting lunatic and a mentally challenged child bride insist?  Compared to them, Romeo and Juliet were the voices of reason.

"Seize the moment" to get impulsively married makes as much sense for Klaine  as throwing in a  floating ice berg in the barn, less, actually.

So let's rest the Romeo and Juliet comparison, those crazy Verona Kids had compelling reasons to "seize the moment."   A trope isn't effective because it's been used previously, it's effective if it fits the characters and context.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 4

So let's rest the Romeo and Juliet comparison, those crazy Verona Kids had compelling reasons to "seize the moment."   A trope isn't effective because it's been used previously, it's effective if it fits the characters and context.

I guess we are supposed to be convinced just by the mere use of a trope, that these specific characters and their actions in their specific circumstances are on par with the big (and tragic) romances in the history of literature, and that should be enough, no need to justify it in any narrative way.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

I guess we are supposed to be convinced just by the mere use of a trope, that these specific characters and their actions in their specific circumstances are on par with the big (and tragic) romances in the history of literature, and that should be enough, no need to justify it in any narrative way.

Actually, no. I mentioned a few examples to show that impulsive decisions are a long tradition in fiction and that Glee depicting one is not automatically gratuitous and unbelievable. Judgement on whether it was done well is a matter of appreciation however and in that regard, we come to a different conclusion since I found that everything which preceded in the season pointed directly and irrevocably, in the particular set of circumstances the characters found themselves in, towards agreeing to a spontaneous wedding when presented with the opportunity.

A life or death situation was not required for that specific decision to be made; they needed to be portrayed in the appropriate set of conditions and state of mind, which I think the show managed to do, however sketchily at times. It is consistent for those characters, considering past behaviour and everything they were previously written as going through, to accept such a sudden proposition, however absurd it would appear in real life situations.

I therefore feel no particular outrage or disappointment at this turn of event.  The two characters have been on that path for so long, not only in this season but in previous ones, that any possible "iceberg" has long since melted.

A life or death situation was not required for that specific decision to be made; they needed to be portrayed in the appropriate set of conditions and state of mind, which I think the show managed to do, however sketchily at times. It is consistent for those characters, considering past behaviour and everything they were previously written as going through, to accept such a sudden proposition, however absurd it would appear in real life situations.

In fewer words:   I thought it was piece of shit writing solution...you didn't.   We agree to disagree.

I'd point more at Vegas than classic literature to demonstrate that otherwise sane people have impulse weddings all the time. These two idiots are no more or less implausible than the multitudes of suckers who keep the quickie wedding industry alive. At least Klaine didn't hit up a drive thru chapel. It was ridiculous that Brittana wanted them to join in their wedding, but on the scale of Glee that they went with it seems typical rushed decision making for them. One day they'll find out divorces are a lot slower and more complicated to acquire.

Sue not being in prison by now is what I find Glee's most insane ongoing character issue. How has nobody arrested her for the multitude of things she's done even if we just limit it to public acts? 

• Love 1

Actually, no. I mentioned a few examples to show that impulsive decisions are a long tradition in fiction and that Glee depicting one is not automatically gratuitous and unbelievable. Judgement on whether it was done well is a matter of appreciation however and in that regard, we come to a different conclusion since I found that everything which preceded in the season pointed directly and irrevocably, in the particular set of circumstances the characters found themselves in, towards agreeing to a spontaneous wedding when presented with the opportunity.

Well, trope is trope, and Glee based the whole Klaine story this season on it, as you so amply demonstrated.

As to Kurt agreeing to a spontaneous wedding - wearing a suit he didn't design, putting a ring on Blaine he didn't choose, piggybacking on another couple's ceremony, etc. etc. didn't convince me. But good for you if it did since apparently this will be their one and only "combination of specific conditions present, which might never show up again"  to wed, like they can't possibly book a venue and invite guests on their own in a equal marriage state of their choice, at their own convenience. 

I myself will stay with those who call a big ol' bullshit on the way they married them off. 

I kinda see Comfy Sweater's Vegas scenario better, with the proviso that both (esp. Kurt) have to be drunk as skunks. 

part of the point of Romeo and Juliet was that their particular brand of seizing the moment was unhealthy and ultimately resulted in both of their deaths.

I love how this part manages to escape people's attention.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1
part of the point of Romeo and Juliet was that their particular brand of seizing the moment was unhealthy and ultimately resulted in both of their deaths.

I love how this part manages to escape people's attention.

I think a lot of people focus on their glorious passion for each other that they died for love... forgetting that they died more as a result of stupidity and miscommunication than actual love.

Klaine never communicated, don't like living with each other and have trouble with the concept of monogamy and they decide to get quickie married while sober for... Seize the day...

God I hate the YOLO mentality.

I'd take a messy divorce in a couple years. Kurt can be pissy and vindictive when hurt or angry. I'd imagine he'd be truly terrifying with a shark of a divorce attorney at his disposal. 

Yes, I realize they defanged him in recent years, but I'm more entertained by going back to the version with flaws if I'm already departing wildly from where this show is taking the plot. It's more fun to imagine.

My favourite description of Romeo and Juliet:

Romeo and Juliet is not a love story. It is a 3 day relationship between a 13 year old and a 17 year old that caused 6 deaths.

Lol, right.

I love Mercutio. If only there was a Rosencrantz and Guildenstern twist on the play from his POV - but he dies a bit early. Who could be Mercutio in the Glee world? I guess Starchild, for he went away a bit early too and didn't want to have much to do with the omg!drama. 

Edited by fakeempress

I'd take a messy divorce in a couple years. Kurt can be pissy and vindictive when hurt or angry. I'd imagine he'd be truly terrifying with a shark of a divorce attorney at his disposal. 

Yes, I realize they defanged him in recent years, but I'm more entertained by going back to the version with flaws if I'm already departing wildly from where this show is taking the plot. It's more fun to imagine.

But Blaine is such a feckless wimpy weenie, he'd just roll over and give in so it wouldn't even be fun to watch.

(edited)

Just saw this.  What a steaming pile of shit this was.

And Tina finally getting a plot like 5 minutes before the end of the series?  I almost laughed.

Edited by Kromm
(edited)

Besides the differences between Klaine and some of the big romances in literature (e.g. Romeo and Juliet) that some of the other posters have already pointed out, I think there’s another big difference here.

Those other romances were brought up because they, like Klaine, got married within a day or two, so as a justification that Klaine’s impromptu/impulsive wedding was nothing new or out of the ordinary in fiction.

What’s different however between Klaine and those examples (besides the skills and talents of the writers of course) is that these classic romances not only got married that quickly but also had just met. But that’s not the case with Klaine.

Kurt and Blaine have a long history between them, going back 4 years. And in those years there was (multiple) cheating, distrust, neglect, fights, and they tried living together twice failing both times, and they both just came out of another relationship.

So, on the one hand they were not foolish enough (like Romeo and Juliet) to fall in love and wanted to get married within a day of their meeting, but on the other hand they were foolish enough to "seize the moment" and get married on the spot knowing all too well how messed up their past and relationship has been.

So, if anything, bringing up those other romances only points out even more how utterly stupid and unrealistic this whole impromptu Klaine wedding was.

Edited by Glorfindel
  • Love 1
And in those years there was (multiple) cheating, distrust, neglect, fights, and they tried living together twice failing both times, and they both just came out of another relationship.

I think the use of "mutiple" is an exaggeration if applied individually to every one of these actions. For example, real cheating occurred only once. "Fights" I would probably agree to, as would happen to most fictional or real couples anyway.

So, if anything, bringing up those other romances only points out even more how utterly stupid and unrealistic this whole impromptu Klaine wedding was.

On the contrary. Not only does it establish that impulsiveness has much precedents, but also that in Blaine and Kurt's case their apparent impulsiveness is mixed with a full knowledge of their past history together. If anything, past events as written indicate that their impromptu decision is made with what has gone down before as a foundation and that their decision is more thought-out because they have that factual knowledge to take into account in their decision.

Now if this were real life, there would probably be legitimate reservations to be considered. For example, I would ask a real Blaine if he really wishes to envision a whole life spent with such a annoying and capricious little git as his intended. But we are talking about TV fiction here.

For example, I would ask a real Blaine if he really wishes to envision a whole life spent with such a annoying and capricious little git as his intended.But we are talking about TV fiction here.

A real Blaine wouldn't be in a position to be contemplating even the slightest chance of spending his life with Kurt because his cheating, whiny, jealous, clingy codependent and weak-willed ass would've been long tossed out and forgotten. So yeah, total fiction indeed. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 6

I find it funny that Klaine's marriage is not even visible on screen after this episode. It's like Glee had them marry and then completely forgot their supposed to be handsy newlyweds...