Type keyword(s) to search

S30: Mike Holloway

Donny Ketchum
  • Start Topic

Thanks KimberStormer, that helps me to recall:  Mike sounded like he had just finished reading his copy of Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus, I think he also trotted out the, "men want to just solve the problem, women want to discuss how they feel about the problem," canard.  

• Love 1

I...don't like Mike, and I'm trying to figure out why. In addition to what some brilliant poster called his "1950s view of women," I think it's also because he seems to lack a sense of humor. There's no fun in his gameplay -- he's so intense about the game that he doesn't even really seem to enjoy being there. I thought Tony's #Spyshack was clever and you could see the fun he was having with it -- in contrast, Mike's shadowing Joe for the idol had this life-and-death feel to it, like he was behind enemy lines or something. I mean...who cries when they find an idol? It's not like he was in any danger of being voted out or believed he was in any danger of being voted out. I also didn't like him deciding to throw a challenge to "save" Kelly -- it was gross and smacked of paternalism, to me.

Other than his sexist attitude, I think it's just the fact that he seems to suck all the joy out of the game. I don't tune in to Survivor to see someone who thinks they're on the Hunger Games, and I feel that's how Mike plays. Someone needs to tell Mike if he loses, he won't actually be killed because I feel that message has gotten lost in translation somewhere.

• Love 8

Thanks KimberStormer, that helps me to recall:  Mike sounded like he had just finished reading his copy of Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus, I think he also trotted out the, "men want to just solve the problem, women want to discuss how they feel about the problem," canard.  

That was Dan.

• Love 1

Something else the editors decided to leave on the cutting room floor

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/interview-hali-ford-talks-survivor-worlds-apart#J594Ak0YlsOEResC.99

HitFix: Did you have any flexibility out there or were you just locked in with Jenn and with Joe and that was the only place you could be?

Hali Ford: Uh-uh. I had flexibility. Me and Mike, the whole time since the Merge Mike and I were talking. We would go boa hunting together and if I had made it through that vote, I probably would have switched ships, tried to get Jenn to go with me. But she was a liability because people saw us as a power couple. They used the term "power couple," which I thought was bizarre but it’s just because we were tight and that was bad gameplay. We were too visibly tight. I was totally ready to go to Mike’s ship. I was ready to go because I knew I was on a sinking ship.

I just wonder, why do they seem to be leaving out all these game making decisions and relationships forming.  I don't really get the editing this season, and while I can see why Jeff liked this cast so much, I don't think they are that great.  Either they all thought things were a certain way out there when they were playing, or for whatever reason they are deciding to leave a lot out because it doesn't ultimately deal with the outcome.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

I wonder what it is that Mike has going for him that seems to make everyone fall into line with him because I do not see it at all, and I can't imagine what Mike could have believably promised her that would make Hali think it was to her benefit to jump ship with Jenn.

• Love 1

That was Dan.

Right, as someone here said with fantastic insight, Dan recited what he'd been assigned to read at senstivity training about men want to solve the problems, etc.  Mike said that women want an unqualified apology (I feel like it was with a "they just want to always be right" kind of flavor).  As often seems to be happening this season, bad (or not-great) behavior and attitudes are contrasted with even worse, super-terrible behavior and attitudes which lower our standards to the floor, so that, for example, Rodney looks like he's not so bad and has a solid Survivor mind...

• Love 3

I went ahead and rewatched that part to get Mike's exact quote. He says, "In my personal experience with women they don't want the explanation they just want to hear you say you're sorry so they can be right." Not the worse guy there to be sure, but that's definitely an annoying sexist statement.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 6

Are people so limited in their intelligence that "I'm sorry" must equal "You are right"?  Sheesh.

Apologies in our country today (personal, public) are in such a sorry [excuse the pun] state, that I don't think most people even understand what an apology is anymore!!

These yahoos especially.

• Love 4

I went ahead and rewatched that part to get Mike's exact quote. He says, "In my personal experience with women they don't want the explanation they just want to hear you say you're sorry so they can be right." Not the worse guy there to be sure, but that's definitely an annoying sexist statement.

I get the feeling that that was the tip of the iceberg and Mike is more sexist than we're being shown. He gives me ick vibes.

• Love 3

I don't like Mike, but I've resigned myself to the fact that he likely has the best chance of winning.  Only person at this point I could see beating him would be Tyler.  Of course who knows what is going on with everyone out there, strategy wise, so maybe people are doing better at the game than we are seeing.  But there's something about him I don't like, and haven't for awhile.  The guy just seems way too comfortable and cocky.  Part of it is him being a power couple with the worst person out there, Dan.  I wish they could have blindsided him tonight.  I feel that if that is Rodney's true intention, the opportunity is passed.  However, there must be something he's doing right.  Hali mentioned wanting to work with him, Tyler gave him Joe's idol clue out of loyalty, and tonight we see Shirin cozying up to him.  I've had an inkling all along that he was a strong bet to win, and now that we are closing in on the end, I believe that's exactly what they are setting up.  Won't be one of my favorites, and I don't see much of what he's doing out there other than being on the right side of numbers.

I posted something about Mike in the episode thread (don't want to repost as it might be frown upon) but in essence I think the reason why I both think he's playing a good game and is not very likeable is that he lacks charisma and doesn't seem to has fun. For him, it's almost as if this game was a matter of life or death. The personality of Jenn/Joe/Sandra/heck even Johnny Fairplay with THAT gameplay, I'd be applauding. With him, I'm just yawning, even though I agree that he's playing a good game. I guess I like my contestants and potential winners to have fun along the way, and not just at the win, and this fun part is sorely missing within the blue collar tribe (with the exception maybe of Rodney... but when RODNEY is the shining star, you know the casting is somewhat wrong, don't you?).

• Love 4

What are the women doing right now? Carolyn found an idol and has not done much since then. Jenn is openly being asked to be voted out. Shirin is scrambling but no where near a power position. Sierra hasn't done much of anything. Hali didn't do much that we saw.

I am not a fan of Mike but he has a good read on what is happening out there.

What are the men doing? All they're doing is what Mike tells them to do. To me they're all playing the 'let's just wait and see' game. Dan and Tyler  (and Joe) don't appear to be playing any better or harder to me than any of the women. And based on some other comments from Mike it just proves to me that while not a woman hating misogynist like Dan, he definitely has some sexist views and tends to respect the men more than the women.

• Love 5

Sierra made some claims previous eps to make a move on the boys, just waiting. Who knows what she thinks now, coz she's a good candidate to win if she makes it to the final with 2 of the boys. She would have to get one out before the final though. I think the best choice would be to usurp them. Gives you a better case in the final, but also leaves you more vulnerable to be picked off yourself though.

Will and Dan just being dragged along. Rodney's waiting. Tyler and Carolyn are happy under the radar. If somebody wanna make a move, they have to approach them, so it's not wrong for them being so passive. Shirin makes some inroads with Mike. Mike might do something about his own alliance, so maybe that could take Shirin somewhere.

All in all, it's good. Mike still fucking sexist though.

Sierra made some claims previous eps to make a move on the boys, just waiting. Who knows what she thinks now, coz she's a good candidate to win if she makes it to the final with 2 of the boys.

{Replying to bolded part mine] How could she win? So far I see NC women + Shirin disappointed in her not going for Dan. Rodney and Mike might vote for her if she helped eliminate the other one while not having blood on her hand in their own elimination. And also, who else can she beat at FTC with the rest of the jury? She's played very passive to me so far.

Sierra made the right choice, sticking with the BC for now. There's not a lot of upside, flipping to the NC; they still don't have majority. I don't think they would harbour ill feelings towards her for that. They already know she hates the boys. She didn't flip. No big deal. Best choice is to either stick with the BC all the way or wait to usurp them.

What are the men doing? All they're doing is what Mike tells them to do. To me they're all playing the 'let's just wait and see' game. Dan and Tyler  (and Joe) don't appear to be playing any better or harder to me than any of the women. And based on some other comments from Mike it just proves to me that while not a woman hating misogynist like Dan, he definitely has some sexist views and tends to respect the men more than the women.

Mike is controlling the seven person alliance and at least listening to other players pitches (like Shirin this week). Hali thought she had a side deal with Mike which we didn't see. So we know that he is listening and trying to make sure he has a variety of plans in place.

Rodney has built a four person alliance that he plans to use once the four people not in seven are gone. Rodney is smart to wait for the others to be gone since he doesn't have a reason to believe that Mike knows about the four person alliance. Will has good reason to work with Rodney. Rodney has told Will his plan, has pointed to how he wanted Joe out and Mike ignored him, pointed to how Mike set Will up with the Hali vote. Rodney has a relationship with Tyler. While we didn't see them together a lot when the tribes swapped, we know Tyler and Joaquin were allied. Tyler and Rodney were blindsided by the Joaquin vote, which can serve to bind them together.

Tyler has played smart so far. He did not out Carolyn's idol. He has not over played his connection to Rodney. He told Mike about the II clue. So he is walking that fine line as a stronger man in the minority of the majority alliance pretty well. He has not caused Mike to question him or his loyalty, which is huge based on how Mike has phrased why they voted out Joaquin and Mike's obsession with removing pairs from the game.

Joe was playing more of a game then we saw. He was a challenge beast, he worked a ton around camp, and he was trying to scramble to save himself with the fake idol. It might not have worked but it was an effort.

Dan is a lame ass and not doing squat. Will does not appear to be doing much.

Jenn is trying to force people to vote her out. Either it is a brilliant ploy to keep her in the game because people will want her as a goat or she has partially quit the game. Carolyn is sitting around doing nothing. Sierra gets as much air time as Will and Carolyn. Shirin is trying to do stuff but has alienated pretty much everyone.

So yeah, the men are the power players this year.

It's not right to say the girls are doing nothing. If Carolyn is doing nothing, so is Tyler. Everybody is just waiting. We'll see what everybody's plan for the final 3 later. Right now, it's the waiting game.

• Love 3

Tyler has been seen talking with folks, sharing information, and he won a challenge. When was the last time we saw Carolyn working with anyone? She had a talking head where she discussed how much she hates Shirin.  Tyler at least thought about working with Joe and what the cost would be for doing that.

I am not saying Tyler is a genius or overly active but he has been more active, to our eyes, then Carolyn. I would argue that Shirin has done more then Tyler but she dug herself such a huge hole she has to. So far none of Shirin's plans have worked out. Hopefully that changes but, for now, I don't think Mike was being a sexist ass when he said the men are making more moves then the women in the game.

Eh, I don't see it. To me everyone except Mike, Rodney, and Shirin is on a level playing field game wise. For Mike to think fucking Dan is playing better/harder than any of the women is just mind boggling to me. Tyler has done nothing more than Shirin, Carolyn, and Sierra have done, minus winning an IC, which means nothing to me. And for Mike to not think of Shirin as someone who's strategizing and thinking about the endgame is just pure stupidity on his part and I hope it's what fucks him.

• Love 4

I posted something about Mike in the episode thread (don't want to repost as it might be frown upon) but in essence I think the reason why I both think he's playing a good game and is not very likeable is that he lacks charisma and doesn't seem to has fun. For him, it's almost as if this game was a matter of life or death. The personality of Jenn/Joe/Sandra/heck even Johnny Fairplay with THAT gameplay, I'd be applauding. With him, I'm just yawning, even though I agree that he's playing a good game. I guess I like my contestants and potential winners to have fun along the way, and not just at the win, and this fun part is sorely missing within the blue collar tribe (with the exception maybe of Rodney... but when RODNEY is the shining star, you know the casting is somewhat wrong, don't you?).

That's it!  He's very one note.  I said Mike was giving me shades of Lex, but I'd also throw in another Survivor I didn't like, Terry Dietz.  The look Mike has on his face at the end of each TC reminds me of the look Terry had early in the season, when everyone was just following his lead.  It's just that condescending 'of course this went my way, no one will challenge me, I'm the leader!' look.  In this case, his tribe could get rid of him and make it a blindside.  Terry wasn't so easy to dispose of.  As paranoid as he is, there's a heck of a lot going on behind the scenes we aren't seeing with people approaching him and wanting to work together.  So I don't know what Mike is selling, other than people see Dan along with Mike, and believe they could at least beat Dan and maybe make a convincing argument at tribal over Mike. 

In general, I believe lack of charisma is what is sorely lacking in this season and cast.  The only personalities we are getting any glimpse of are despicable.  The others are very one note or invisible.  It was fun early on, but now everyone seems to be laying low.  I hope there's some serious plotting going on and a real game changer happens.  In some of Joe's post boot interviews, he again goes on about all the gamers and game play going on out there, and that every day was different.  I know he was actually there, but seriously, I'm beginning to wonder if there really are two seasons happening here with all that's being left out.  Or if it's all imagined in the castoffs heads.  And yes, I completely agree with what you said about Rodney.  Who, even though he hasn't had much luck in terms of plans working out, is playing a better game imo.  The very fact that I don't want Rodney voted off because he's one of the only ones left I'm rooting for, and I want his stupid plan to work even though I hate his entire alliance, is where this season has ended up for me.  Mike has Dan, and Sierra, who I can't say I care for anymore.  I have a feeling Shirin and Jenn will end up siding with Mike's group, however.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4

I don't think she's ever had a plan to get rid of them, so much as she's just said she wanted them gone. She talks about flipping (most laughably when after the shuffle she tried to flip to the non-existent alliance of Joaquin, Tyler, and Joe) or forming a new alliance with the women, but when push comes to shove she does what Mike tells her to do. Unless she's working something that's being completely hidden from the audience, I'd say she's the most do-nothing player this season. Even Will, Tyler, and Carolyn have made moves and made decisions, but Sierra has been all talk.

• Love 5

she had a plan to boot the BC boys. Now its only a question of will she? That chance will be gone if its down to the final 7 BC/WC.

What was that plan?  I totally missed it. 

{Replying to bolded part mine] How could she win? So far I see NC women + Shirin disappointed in her not going for Dan. Rodney and Mike might vote for her if she helped eliminate the other one while not having blood on her hand in their own elimination. And also, who else can she beat at FTC with the rest of the jury? She's played very passive to me so far.

Taking this to Sierra's thread.

No, I believe in Sierra. It just that she have options. If she choose the lay low route, she need to take out Mike though, and go with Dan and Rodney to the final.

I do agree with you on that last part -- if she can engineer Mike's ouster, then she'll have a legitimate claim on the win. I just don't have any faith that that's her plan or that, if it were, she could pull it off. (Although I have to say, I admire how tenaciously and politely you defend her.)

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 2

Oh Mike, I was so rooting for you to play that idol for Shirin and totally overthrow the smug 6.  It would have been even better because they totally called your bluff on it.  The look on Dan's face if he had his torch snuffed...*sigh*  Strategically it was probably better for Mike to hang onto it.  It would have gotten them through this one vote, but the rest would have resumed picking them off.  And Mike wouldn't have that safety net.  At least he's guaranteed through next week.  And he can still make the final 4 if he can win immunities and still has his idol (it's good up until the final 5 right?)  Why I would have liked to have seen him play it tonight was because it really would have caught someone off guard.  It obviously did, but to go through with it and play it would have been great.  Next week, the smug 6 will have to pick at each other, but they'll at least know one of them is on the chopping block.  So there will be time for strategizing.  How I wish Dan and Sierra screwed themselves, but Dan's extra vote may end up benefiting him if he switches back to Mike.

I don't like Mike because of how he was early in the season.  I haven't forgotten that.  However, he's the only desirable person left.  Whether it's a winners edit or a positive spin for the AS slot, who knows.  It could just be they need someone likable left and he fits the bill.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

Mike, back from the graveyard.  His idol guarantees he makes it to six.  He's a threat to win any and every IC.  And the Broken Six are fracturing in front of his eyes. 

Jeff says this season's winner is iconic.  I think Mike fits the bill perfectly. 

• Love 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx3UymD6Jb8

This is why I still can't really warm to Mike. It's just like back in the beginning when he was insane over the work. He actually wants to be the one that does everything solely so he can whine about how no one else does anything and think of himself as some big, tough, smart, amazing hero. That shit drives me nuts.

He's still the only person I could even stand to see win, but he'd be one of the worst winners overall for me.

• Love 2

Mike is a bit of a control freak who wants to be seen as the hardest worker which can be annoying but he has stepped up and been a good human on many occasions. I hope he wins

• Love 5
(edited)

I don't know if I want Mike to win more because, of the 6 left, he's the better one, or because I don't want to see him again next season.  During the RC, I was taken back to why I started off not liking him in the first place.  I know a poster commented that the challenge was strategic and may have been worse for him to swap out, but it's just the general attitude that he's got to be "the hero" that I had a hard time with.  Still, he's my pick to win, with a long gap separating him from the rest.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

It is funny because I didn't like Mike in Episodes 1 & 2. Now, I want him to win, granted, the pickings are slim but I would only be happy if he (or, possibly) Carolyn win. Usually, when someone is a jerk (or, I perceive them to be) they usually are like that through the whole game. Somehow & somewhere Mike changed after the blowup about everybody working and collecting firewood.

• Love 3

I would love to see Mike or Mama C win.  Mike has shown himself to be a decent man, despite his old fashion views on women.  He has morals.  I cannot wait to see Dan gone and Rodney is a baby.  Both should be out.  This hasn't been my favorite season, but Im hoping at least the good guy wins out.

• Love 2
(edited)

Jeff says this season's winner is iconic.  I think Mike fits the bill perfectly. 

Do you have a link to this interview?  I'd love to read it!

Reg. Sierra....She's been quiet but she's no fool.  Her wheels are spinning...just quietly.  She is thoughtful and has made good decisions thus far.  I don't discount her ability to make it to the end.   Even though I don't think she's won a challenge, she's pretty good at them relatively speaking.  If I remember correctly, she excels at challenges requiring aim.

Targets are on Carolyn and Mike.  Those two have a better chance of making F3 working together than they do alone but they need a 3rd.  Could be Sierra or Dan perhaps.

Edited by Jextella

Jextella, I agree with your point that Mike and Carolyn are targets and should therefore work together.  I hope that there was some strategizing at the reward challenge that we were not shown.  I think that both of them understand their precarious positions.  Carolyn may have been laying low but she has now won two back to back challenges which is a huge wake up call for the other survivors.  I am rooting for Mike as I think he's basically a stand up person and tries to do right; however, I think that the only way he can make it to the end is by allying with Carolyn.

• Love 2

Jextella, I agree with your point that Mike and Carolyn are targets and should therefore work together.  I hope that there was some strategizing at the reward challenge that we were not shown.  I think that both of them understand their precarious positions.  Carolyn may have been laying low but she has now won two back to back challenges which is a huge wake up call for the other survivors.  I am rooting for Mike as I think he's basically a stand up person and tries to do right; however, I think that the only way he can make it to the end is by allying with Carolyn.

My thoughts are that the 3rd person would have to be someone who thinks they can go further with Mike and Carolyn.  This could be Sierra.   She's the bottom of the Will, Rodney, Dan, Sierra foursome.  That would still leave 3 against 3.  Maybe they rope Dan in to play his extra vote....likely against Rodney since Will is pretty harmless.

I have totally committed to the editing and want Mike to win.  I know that he hasn't gotten flak for how he told Dan to apologize, but part of that may have been phrasing it in a way that would appeal to Dan's ego and self-perception.  Nevertheless, Mike has stood up for others during the season due to the treatment they were receiving.  Also, Mike has been right about a lot of his observations regarding strategy.  I think one reason that Dan continually went off on Mike is that Mike is everything Dan envisions himself being or wants to be.  I was so tense during the IC but was so relieved and excited when Mike pulled out the victory.  Equally exciting?  Carolyn pulling out her immunity idol.  Although I would be fine with a Carolyn win, I really want Mike to win.  I think it's been much harder out there for Mike than we've seen (I expect Dan and Rodney have been continually saying stuff to him), so his winning the season would be extremely satisfying.

• Love 5

I feel like Mike outside of the game is showing himself as someone who can learn from past perceptions and hopefully grow (Dan is doing the opposite!).  I like his playfulness like how he jumped up boing! to hand in his idol on the episode before last, and he's showing similar playfulness in his social media, I think.  Someone somewhere mentioned he showed his "true colors" when he yelled about the work at camp back with his original tribe, but I think you're more likely to show your true colors as exhaustion etc. set in, and I like the current Mike more than the early Mike (yes, I know some if it is editing, but if they wanted total superhero they didn't have to emphasize the who-does-what-work fight quite as hard).  

With his current closeness to Shirin who can definitely be articulate about feminist matters, I feel like he's someone who can learn and grow past his early "this is how you apologize to women" stuff (unlike entrenched Dan and uber-clueless Rodney).

And yes, he has flaws--he definitely can act out of paranoia--but like the old joke goes, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

• Love 5

Mike is not perfect. He has been shown having conversations with others about how he wants to be in control and have everyone thank him for his work.

We saw it in his conversation with Lindsey and Sierra. He wanted to be thanked for his work but never thanked others for their work. It showed that early on he saw himself as the hardest worker and that he wanted others to acknowledge that.

we saw it in his confrontation with Rodney about working around camp.

We saw it in the barrel competition where he was out there moving everything on his own and everyone else was sitting on the barrels. I don't think he even entertained the idea of completing the challenge in a different way.

We saw it with the fire this week. Mike wants to do it and is pressing to do it.

We saw it when he told Dan how to apologize. OK, so Dan sucks at apologies but Mike's discussion was just as sexist as Dan's. Neither were particularly insightful but Mike was trying to tell Dan how to do something, again.

Mike's approach has been to tell people stuff and not discuss things. Look at how he spoke to Carolyn and Sierra about Carolyn being in trouble. Hell, look at how he had approached Dan over the past bunch of weeks.

I want Mike to win. But he has not been a particularly smooth or great with his interactions.

• Love 2

Mike is an excellent player overall, who is great at many aspects of the game:  sniffing out what's really going on... challenges... strategy.  He's the most well-rounded player this season IMO.  His main weakness is he sometimes shoots himself in the foot with his execution.  After those first few episodes I never thought I'd pull for him, but he's become the player of the year for me. 

• Love 3
Still a better winner than Brian or Tony.

Tony? Tony is one of my favourite winners from one of my favourite seasons.  I was mesmerized by that season from Day 1 to Day 33 or whatever the last day is.  This?  Mike is extremely, extremely boring in comparison.  I agree that he's playing the best game but it doesn't mean that I care, at all.

I mean can you imagine Mike saying that another player speaks like a llama and then showing us a pitch perfect imitation of one?  No, so then Tony wins for me... 

Tony was overly paranoid but it was hilarious and worked perfectly.  Mike might be overly paranoid, but it's more disturbing.... it's like an old war movie or something.

• Love 1