Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Jessa Says Yes to the Dress

Jessa goes wedding dress shopping! Mix in Michelle and several other Duggars & Seewalds and there are a lot of opinions to go around, but everyone knows it's the bride's opinion that counts. And Jill & Derick receive a special gift from the DC Duggars.

That crappy home made mobile that we saw last season is no surprise gift to anyone....sad to say.

Thanks for giving away the big secret :) I'm sure the Dillards will gush all over it, claiming it's the sweetest thing they ever saw Awwww.......

• Love 3

I'm looking forward to the dress shopping part too. It looks like a more modern type of store. Wonder if they will be sipping on champagne while browsing. Lol. Hope we don't have to sit thru letters from the bridesmaids, gushing how wonderful Jessa is.

I thought the mobile was a wedding gift but according to the show's timeline, it's about a month after the wedding so maybe they were still opening the tons of gifts.

We should have had the drinking game with "Surreal." Can't these people think of another word to say?

Lol, agreed! Although I think that I would hit the floor after the first 10 minutes of the show. 

Don't know if it is just me but Mechelle seems to have her crazy eyes set on extra cray, her eyeballs look like they are going to pop out of her socket for the main portion of the episode (so far). The whole modesty spiel from the girls is coming off as beyond scripted (and Ben) it all looks so fake ugh. 

I laughed so hard seeing Guinn's reaction to Mechelle talking about grand babies her face was just like "lady come back down to Earth" I really hope Jessa and Ben have figured out natural family planning and will wait a while to have their first child. I can't imagine getting married at Ben's age with no job or education let alone being pushed into having a kid I'm not ready for. 

• Love 10

Another hour of my life I want back.

-Can Jill say one thing without giggling. Seriously...

-Ben, Ben, Ben what can I say. You are a moron. Face the facts peaches, JB and has taken control of your brain, and Jessa has control over a certain other body part.

-Yes, Jessa thank you once again for reminding us you are marrying Ben Seewald. I almost forgot again.

-Michelle's eyes reminds me of someone with severe eye damage from hyperthyroidism. And no, I am not trying to insult people with hyperthyroidism. I have eye damage from Grave's Disease.

-The look on Ben's mother's face when Michelle brought up grandchildren. Classic.

-Ben's mother was showing more emotions than Michelle did during the wedding dress scenes.

-Poor Jill. How dare Derick go to work and leave you behind at home. Did you really ask him about taking him back and forth to work and having lunch together or did you do a bitch face while giggling about it.

-Anna's reaction to the blasted baby mobile phone call scene. I think I heard some dogs howling in my neighborhood around the same time she was screeching on the phone.

-Thank you for the comparing between Jill's wedding choices and Jessa's. Do we need the constant reminder Jill got married before Jessa. Really keeping it klassy.

I'm not a huge fan of Jessa's but if she needed (i.e. was allowed) a job she could model wedding dresses. Thought she looked gorgeous in most all of them, minus the one Jinger picked out (does she hate her???) and the last super plain white one.

Jessa does this little 'heh heh' thing that bugs the shit out of me. When the ladies at the shop asked her what she was looking for she did her 'heh heh', like , "I'm so cute but I have no fucking idea."

Jordyn's reaction to Josie's idea of a blue dress (think that's it) was pretty cute. Very expressive and nice to see.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 1

Josie behaved pretty well dress shopping. I just noticed tonight that she rather resembles little one with downs. The big eyes and smaller lower face. I used to work with kids like that; would sure explain her affectionate nature and delays...if she was,I would be livid with her parents not getting her help in order to thrive and advance the best she can.

• Love 3

The look on Ben's mother's face when Michelle brought up grandchildren. Classic.

This. Her face sad it all! it made me laugh so hard! I loved how she politely responded to Michelle by saying something like let's just focus on the wedding for now.

Ugh! Did the really have to show Josh eating Anna's face on their wedding day again? I almost do not have that memory etched in my brain, but then they have to replay it. It is what nightmares are made of.

I really love Jessa's wedding dress. It is so pretty. I like the blush color.

I wish they would do more talking heads with the other kids and less with Josie. I am so going to hell for saying that.

Also, Michelle telling Josie that she could come along dress shopping. Really Michelle? Am I to believe you were going to leave her home?

• Love 6

Guinn seems like such a class act next to Michelle.

Jinger seems to be stepping into the spotlight. I wouldn't be surprised if she was the next one married. She also has a hippy/Austin Powers type hair and style going on. Groovy Jinger!

I like how Michelle highlights the difference between her girls. "One gets treated like a princess and one isn't. Isn't that special?" I wasn't sure it was the same salon. I love Jessa's dress.

According to my friends you have up to the first year to send wedding presents. Kudos to Anna to waiting until she was pregnant to send the wedding present. 

Jinger, Josie is 4! (According to wiki, she turned 5 in December). She is probably not going to be married at 19 in 15 years! Most of your siblings are waiting longer than that to get married. 

Edited by Temperance

We should have had the drinking game with "Surreal." Can't these people think of another word to say?

These hillbillies learn a new word or phrase and then proceed to wear it out, using it over and over and over again. I completely stopped watching the show, because I just cannot stomach the silliness, holier-than-thou attitudes and repeated words/phrases (season of life, etc.).

• Love 4

I am surprised that, given the Duggars' obsession with purity, that Jessa was even allowed to try on anything but a white dress. I know it's a pipe dream, but I wish she was trying to tell her parents something by not wearing white.

• Love 2

OMG, Jill and Derick AGAIN holding hands in the car… I can’t even. WHO DOES THAT?!

I feel like slapping Jill. So much giggling, and that over-the-top sweet tone…  A few years down the road she’s gonna sound exactly like MEchelle.

Ben’s mother showed more emotions seeing her daughter-in-law try on wedding dresses than Jessa’s own mother did. Enough said.

On a positive note, I really like the dress Jessa picked. Not like we hadn’t seen tons of pictures of it since HELLO, TLC, wedding was months ago… but still. I’m a s*cker for blush-colored gowns. Dress is feminine yet not frilly. Elegant, classic clean lines. And she’s a Duggar. Who would have thought.

• Love 5

I still think it's sweet that Jill is still including James in her life.  I hope she sat Derick down and explained that he is basically her son, so an adjustment period would be in order.  James always looks so bored with them but I think he's just glad to be with Jill and away from that house.

Jessa really just wanted to get everything done and over with.  She is just going through the motions at this point, as long as it leads to a marriage/way out. 

I like Ben's mother.  She even wiped a few tears away when Jessa was trying on dresses, while Michelle wouldn't have been able to force one out if you paid her with babies 20 and 21.  Also love that Ben's mother put the breaks on that baby talk right away.  I like to think that she pulled Ben aside and gave him a talking to before the wedding. 

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 13

Was this the episode with the James montage? Because I wanted to note that Jill was using basic multiplication flash cards with a 13 year old. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those evil public schools cover multiplication tables in the 3rd...maybe 4th grade at the latest? I've always pegged James as potentially ADHD, and the Duggars have admitted that they have kids with LDs, but have never said which kids or what LDs. 

That glimpse of the flash cards may have given something away that they didn't want told in their "story." 

• Love 9

Was this the episode with the James montage? Because I wanted to note that Jill was using basic multiplication flash cards with a 13 year old. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those evil public schools cover multiplication tables in the 3rd...maybe 4th grade at the latest? I've always pegged James as potentially ADHD, and the Duggars have admitted that they have kids with LDs, but have never said which kids or what LDs.

That glimpse of the flash cards may have given something away that they didn't want told in their "story."

My kids learned that in third grade. I wonder how far behind he is.

• Love 1

Sounds like Guinn has her head screwed on right on the topic of babies. I'm sure she knows that Ben is not father material at this point. Wish she had used some of that common sense to dissuade him from getting involved with the Duggars in the first place. At 19 he's stuck cleaning toilets for Boob. That's a terrible price to pay for the privilege of having sex with Jessa.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 9

I wonder if Jill feels guilty about abandoning "her" kids - James in particular seems to need a dad/big brother figure, since he was always the leader of the younger boys and ignored by the older boys.  I'm surprised by how well Jennifer seems to be coping without Jill.

The boy needs a real tutor, though.  He's thirteen.  If he doesn't know his times tables by now, he needs a real tutor, not Jill.

The way Michelle talks to Josie is appalling.  When she went "yaaaaay!" in her face with those bulging eyes, I hoped Josie would *really* misbehave and slap her in the face.  She truly talks to her like an infant. 

• Love 8

After Jessa decided on her dress I was scared to death they were all going to start talking about how to bring the neckline up under her chin and the sleeves down to her wrists.  I haven't seen pics of the actual wedding -- did she wear the dress exactly as purchased?  It really was gorgeous & looked fantastic on her. 

Re: Ben - OMG, poor teenager with no (real) job, no college education.  However, I think his mom's got it together & as posters have said above, hope she's had a looong talk w/him.  Her facial expression when Michelle was taking grandkids was priceless!! 

After watching Jill's wedding last season I swore I wouldn't watch anymore thinking it was going to be the same old boring shit, but I'm pleasantly surprised there's still so much to snark about! 

I like Jessa.  Jill's giggling just must stop!  ARGHHH!

• Love 4

Sounds like Guinn has her head screwed on right on the topic of babies. I'm sure she knows that Ben is not father material at this point. Wish she had used some of that common sense to dissuade him from getting involved with the Duggars in the first place. At 19 he's stuck cleaning toilets for Boob. That's a terrible price to pay for the privilege of having sex with Jessa.

Well Ben gets to be on tv, a free house gifts, and bang a hot virgin chick. He probably sees it as a blessing. I hope Ben's family gives him a serious talk and some condoms.

• Love 3

The boy needs a real tutor, though.  He's thirteen.  If he doesn't know his times tables by now, he needs a real tutor, not Jill.

How about instead of a real tutor the kid gets a real teacher! :)

He looked like he was kind of getting his groove on in the backseat of the car. You go, James! Dance like no ones watching!!

Jana was very expressive when trying on her bridesmaids dress, which I thought she looked great in, though that fabric looked very unforgiving for someone without a very thin body. She seemed more like a Bates than a Duggar for a brief moment.

• Love 3

Ugh! Did the really have to show Josh eating Anna's face on their wedding day again? I almost do not have that memory etched in my brain, but then they have to replay it. It is what nightmares are made of.

I feel like that one was provided especially for us ('us' meaning the snarkers) by the editors. I mean they showed seven different angles of 'the kiss.' No one needed to see that again. Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 1

So, the episode before, J'Chelle ships the Lost Girls over to Jill's house. On this one, James is "visiting" and Is attending UJM (University of Jilly Muffin). What is J'Chelle going to do when Baby Dilly comes and Jilly Muffin decides she has enough on her plate and wants to raise her own kid instead of J'Chelle's? Guess Jana and Joy will get more buddies.

• Love 4

So now he's "The Dashing Ben Seewald"? What, does Jessa think he's Arkansas's answer to Cary Grant or something?

So I am pretty bored with the Duggars at present, and was playing around on my tablet while half-watching this, and I noticed a funny thing. If you're not looking directly at Michelle, you'd think she was always talking to one of her little kids. I could have sworn, by her tone and inflection that she was speaking to Josie about Ben and Jessa getting married, but I looked up and she was actually talking to Ben's mom. How nice! To be spoken to like a child by your son's soon-to-be-mother-in-law. 

I kind of like Ben's mom, though. What's her name? Gwen? At least she was being sensible about them not rushing to have babies right after they get married. And I noticed that SHE was tearing up while watching Jessa try on dresses, unlike robot-smile faced Michelle. Also, Gwen has used more adjectives in one episode than Michelle has in the entire run of this series. She found plenty of ways to describe Jessa and the dresses without resorting to "sweet" or "precious". 

I have to say, I loved that blush dress with the full skirt and was unexpectedly happy when Jessa picked it. It looked great on her. 

Good grief, Jill has gotten married, moved out, become pregnant, and she's STILL being mother to her siblings! Why on earth does she need to tutor James? Can't MOTY do that? Or is she too busy charting her cycle and hoping by some miracle she can still become pregnant? On the one hand, I'm happy for James - to get out of that house and have some one-on-one time with another human being. But my goodness, will these girls ever get to stop being J'slaves? We thought that marriage was the ticket out, but apparently not. 

• Love 8

Oh, where to start?

Well, well, Benny boy, do you have a temper? Did anyone notice that flare up in his eyes and demeanor when he said he hoped that Jessa wasn't insulting any cake bakers? She needs to be careful; she married a guy who wholeheartedly believes in HIS headship although he is in lust with her...that will fade in time.

There is seriously something amiss regarding Michelle's emotions..seriously. That woman is incapable of reacting to anything emotion-provoking correctly. Her eyes were about to pop out of her head. Her fake voice is becoming seriously a deterrent in this show to listen to..

She is about NOTHING ELSE but babies...her obsession revolves around that event...so evident when commenting to Guinn, but that woman should have known better..the Duggars make no effort to hide their agenda and limited interests...I do hope she and her husband use some type of birth control, as she is still a relatively young woman and hasn't had a baby for some years now...

Michelle's look on her face when Jessa was trying on wedding gowns, was NOT a happy one...almost like she was envious.

Did anyone catch Michelle's expression at Josie when Josie "threw" the bridesmaid's dress on Jessa's bed? Boy, did Michelle hold back disgust with Josie.

She apparently NEVER received that heart for children she asked God for.

Jilly Muffin is more annoying than ever...I believe she and derickdillard are attached at the hand...still. Why is she driving while holding his hand? They are married already and is now allowed to "hold other things"...she should be able to control herself while driving, IMO, just not safe.

Yes, I agree that James is seriously behind in his education; as all of those kids apparently are...my kids learned their times tables in the 3rd grade in PUBLIC school and mastered them still to this day,.and they are in their 20s.

Jill can't stand to be apart from her husband even for him to go to work? What did she expect? A chair beside his desk 9-5?

I think she needs to seriously reconsider delivering at home without ANY pain meds or back up medical equipment. She is larger than a basketball.

Jana looked bored to tears at that bridal shop, probably thinking about all the housework and cooking that was waiting for HER at home. When I shopped for my wedding dress, I thought I not customary to bring all of your in-laws with you. Can't those people do anything independently?

If it's so difficult to find a bridesmaid's dress that fits 10 girls appropriately, why have 10 bridesmaids? Have 5; that's plenty. All of your sisters and in-laws don't need to always be in your wedding....

I'm sure I'll remember more to comment about and it won't be complimentary...I look forward in reading all of your observations and I agree with all of those that I have already read....

Too much recap yet again....we know that Jessa Blessa is engaged to "benseewald".

One other thing: I wonder if the older kids realize that their mother just does NOT act and react like other women her age?

• Love 5

Ben's family?    I would of pleaded with Ben not to get involved with these nutcases, although from what I hear they are the same?   Get the poor kid laid and send him off to college.

His mom did seem "nicer" and had genuine emotion and sense when pretty much telling Michelle to STFU about babies, but she is still endorsing a really stupid idea, getting married.

Those bridesmaids dresses were hideous. Now that Jessa has choose the blush dress, are they still going to wear them?   I cant imagine how ugly it will be.

The wedding dress is really pretty, looked beautiful on her.

Why am I asking ? Everything they do is hideous. :)

• Love 1

JosieGrossy had no shoes on at the bridal shop. Unacceptable to me.

MEchelle is deranged. Enough said.

Jessa just wanted to get out of that house and had LUST in her eyes when she was talking to Bin. I don't see them lasting. 

Poor Jana hated the "long" dress? Really at least she wasn't forced to alter them to make them longer and uglier.

Jill is totally James' mother. Learning multiplication at 13? I can't even. Don't they see that homefoolingskoooling has failed them?

Edited by Fuzzysox

Anyone notice how Ben states he wants Jessa's dress to be 'modest' because he's the jealous type.   I smell trouble down the road in this marriage.

Another red flag. Even my husband, who doesn't usually watch the show, raised an eyebrow on that one.
  • Love 5

Their homeschooling fails them because they have no structure to it....too many distractions in that household with too much noise and just too many of them to concentrate. The "ministry" interferes with their travel and public appearances and Jim Bob's field trips to do manual work for HIM...just not a good set up for a real learning environment...those kids need a structured day in a real school. They are in denial of that.

Ben's jealousy can be a problem..wasn't it him, who started that ruckus after Jilly's wedding ceremomy "claiming" he walk Jessa DOWN the aisle and out of church? Stupid and childish...even more of Josh to need a spotlight.

• Love 7

Anyone notice how Ben states he wants Jessa's dress to be 'modest' because he's the jealous type.   I smell trouble down the road in this marriage.

No shit. If Bin is really the jealous type and wants his woman to be modest, maybe he shouldn't have hitched his wagon to a woman whose face is on the TV box and in the magazines EVERY FUCKING DAY!!!!

• Love 5

Ben's jealousy can be a problem..wasn't it him, who started that ruckus after Jilly's wedding ceremomy "claiming" he walk Jessa DOWN the aisle and out of church? Stupid and childish...even more of Josh to need a spotlight.

That was allegedly Jill and Derick's idea, not Ben's. Allegedly.

I love how gobsmacked Mama Seewald looked at the idea of her 19 year old son being a father. I really think she sat her son down before the wedding and had a serious talk with him. She seems rooted in reality and knows there is no way Ben can support children at this point in his life.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 2

Josie behaved pretty well dress shopping. I just noticed tonight that she rather resembles little one with downs. The big eyes and smaller lower face. I used to work with kids like that; would sure explain her affectionate nature and delays...if she was,I would be livid with her parents not getting her help in order to thrive and advance the best she can.

I have also had that thought about Josie looking like she could have Downs however in my totally  unprofessional opinion her speech/ behavior doesnt say downs to me. I do think she is very immature and does have delays but not Downs

I Loved Jessa's dress. I wish I had it for my own wedding. It was an Allure which was the same brand as my dress and being a ballgown I am sure that cost well over 2k with the beading ect. 

So much for buying used eh?

Well now we know why Jill is the one that keeps the car at home.... because she doesn't want to be away from Derrick so she MUST drive him to work and MUST pick him up.  

And jill needs to keep two hands on the wheel!!!

Jessa just wanted to get out of that house and had LUST in her eyes when she was talking to Bin. I don't see them lasting.

The trouble is, once they're married, I doubt many of them would end up getting a divorce. Simply because of how they were raised. I'm sure JB and Michelle would much rather their kids stay in an unhappy marriage than do something as sinful as divorce. I mean, I hope that some kid, somewhere down the line, breaks away from the cult and does their own thing. But my hopes aren't super high. 

And don't get me wrong, I take marriage very seriously. I believe in sticking it out, pretty much no matter what, unless someone is being abused in some way. But the problem here is, these kids aren't given enough time and experience to make a wise decision when it comes to marriage. They have all these issues about giving away pieces of their heart. So pretty much, if they "court" a guy, they have to marry him. Or it looks bad. In a normal relationship, Ben and Jill might date for a year, get past that lust phase, realize there's nothing left to talk about and that they don't mesh too well, and go their separate ways. But in Duggarland there is this pressure to fast track EVERYTHING. So these kids are left with little options and it's really just sad. 

I see, more than anything, a lot of them enduring unhappy marriages to the bitter end. Putting on their creepy Stepford smiles all day long, then screaming into their pillows at night.

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 6

Did anyone notice the blatantly obvious? Michelle was constantly doting on Josie and ignoring the " three other little girls"? I'm sure she asks, "what are their names again?"

I noticed that too. Josie got to be front & center with MEchelle at that salon while the other girls were elsewhere.

I so wanted Jessa to try on a Pnina fairy stripper wedding dress just to make Mama Michelle faint like Aunt Pittypat.

Or what Ben's reaction would have been, since he was preaching the modesty line. But if Jessa had worn a Panina gown, they would have done more in private at the wedding than just kiss.

Just adding my two cents about James. At that age, my son was already doing Algebra I in public school. I'm sure most of the Duggar kids haven't gotten past basic math at the STDRT.