Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

BSG is my favorite show in the history of ever.  Angel, LOST and now SPN are all competing for 2nd place LOL. I only started watching SPN in 2013 and mainlined the whole series between November and Dec of 2013....and character spoiler alert for SPN

Dean Winchester has become of my favorite characters ever. Not that I always like or agree with the things Dean does and says and is but holy shit is he is one of the most well conceived, well acted, intersting and rather unique characters ever.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

What are your favorite top 10-15 all time favorite non-Supernatural characters from television shows? Please include the show they are from for people like myself who don't watch a lot of recent stuff. Also I'm going to make an exception for characters that "go together" like Mulder and Scully or Olivia and Elliot. They can be listed as one if you like.

So interesting to see people's tastes across shows!

1. Lex Luthor (Smallville)

2. Blair Waldorf (Gossip Girl)

3. Christian Troy (& Kimber Henry) (Nip/Tuck)

4. T-Bag (Prison Break)

5. Dylan Massett (& Norma Bates) (Bates Motel)

6. Tyrion Lannister (& Cersei Lannister) (Game of Thrones)

7. Klaus Mikaelson (The Originals)

8. Oliver Queen (& Roy) (Arrow)

9. Will Graham (Hannibal)

10. Wesley Wyndam-Pryce (& Illyria) (Angel)

11. Elizabeth & Philip Jennings (the Americans)

12. Katherine Pierce (The Vampire Diaries)

However here's a question that might be fun... The current survivor has got me thinking about characters I like and why I like them - especially since it's sometimes difficult to decide who I'm to vote for and who to vote against, so I ask myself why this one and not that one?

So why *do* you think you like particular characters? Do you see similarities between your favorites?

Edited by rue721
  • Love 2

I was torn about Oliver Queen only because I'm pretty pissed off at Arrow right now LOL. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Lex Luthor. Interesting choice with Christian Troy...that show...sheesh. 

Oh I want to add Debra Morgan - Dexter

• Love 1

Oh! I forgot Game of Thrones! Maybe I should read everyone else's first to remind me of all the stuff I watch, lol.

Funny enough, I love Klaus, too, and so much more on his own show (just like I love angel, but only on his own show, lol)

So why *do* you think you like particular characters? Do you see similarities between your favorites?

Well... I *might* have kind of a bad boy /in need of a redemption arc thing.... Ha ha

Here's my updated list, in no particular order:

Mulder and Scully (xfiles)
Malcolm Reynolds (firefly)
River and Simon Tam (firefly)
Damon Salvatore (vampire diaries)
Spike (Buffy the vampire slayer)
Kara Thrace/Starbuck (battlestar galactica)
Helo and Athena (battlestar galactica)
Adama and Roslin (battlestar galactica)
Sheldon (Big Bang theory). See... I can pick non-sci fi shows! ;)
Topher (dollhouse)
Sun and Jin (lost)
Angel (only on Angel, though, not on Buffy, lol)
Fred And Illyria (Angel)
Tyron Lannister (game of thrones)
Klaus Mikaelson (and the family) (the originals)

Edited by GirlyGeek
  • Love 2

I was torn about Oliver Queen only because I'm pretty pissed off at Arrow right now LOL. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Lex Luthor. Interesting choice with Christian Troy...that show...sheesh. 

Oh I want to add Debra Morgan - Dexter

Oliver just seems like such a genuinely thoughtful and nice person. I like that he's a little nuts, and his particular version of nuts. And uh. I wouldn't kick him out of bed, either.

Nip/Tuck is a contender for my favorite show of all time. And Christian Troy -- I just love that asshole. I actually liked him better when he suddenly got "ugly" like halfway through the series. Cracked me up that the actor got *marginally* worse looking, still all-around amazing-looking, and it was the foundation of the character's emotional arc. Just loved it.

And Lex Luthor! My favorite character of all time, hands down, no contest! He always tried SO FUCKING HARD. I just loved that.

Overall, I think I like schemers, lol. Insecure, rage-filled schemers, that's my type, right there! Control freaks! :P

Funny enough, I love Klaus, too, and so much more on his own show (just like I love angel, but only on his own show, lol)

Yeah, I was really unhappy with the whole idea of the the "Original Family" because I wanted TVD to stick with the Civil War stuff.

But Klaus really grew on me. I think what started it was his terrible artwork. It was so endearing to me that he was all into art, had been working at his drawing and painting for literally 1000 years -- and was still TERRIBLE. LOL. Cracked me up every time. I wish he would go back to painting more.

And I love his plots and manipulations, which basically never go anywhere or really help him out significantly ever.

Oh, and I liked his weird wanna-be friendship with Stefan and that he was (oddly!) a gigantic Stelena shipper and mentioned that over and over to both Stefan and Elena.

I love how you can see him just Lose. His. Shit. mentally, in real time. Like, you can see the dial turn from "screwed up but reasonable" to "OH NO!" in his eyes. I love that when someone/something upset him, he does *not* hold back. When he thinks something's important or he feels strongly about something, he takes that so seriously (which, tbh, I actually admire!).

And I also love how his assumptions about people or what they're thinking or trying to do tend to be so screwy and just plain wrong. (That's probably why his manipulations never really end up working that well). I like his particular brand of crazy.

OH! But mentioning TVD reminds me -- I forgot one of my favorite characters! Katherine Pierce. Amending that list right now. I love her to pieces.

• Love 1

What are your favorite top 10-15 all time favorite non-Supernatural characters from television shows? Please include the show they are from for people like myself who don't watch a lot of recent stuff. Also I'm going to make an exception for characters that "go together" like Mulder and Scully or Olivia and Elliot. They can be listed as one if you like.

I'm making my list still - and it'll likely take me a bit to narrow it down. But I'd love to see some of you guys' lists in the meantime...

1.  Tom -  Voyager

2.  Don - Numb3rs

3.  Iolaus - Hercules - live action in the 90's

4.  Robin Hood - (Played by MP) The Adventures of Robin Hood - 90's

5.  Maid Marian - Season 1 on the same show

6.  Rick - Simon & Simon

7.  Danny - The New Hawaii Five-0

8.  Elliot - Leverage - Although I really like the entire cast and Mark Shepperd plays a great bad guy on the show

9.  Ezra - The Magnificent Seven

10.  Holmes & Watson on Elementary...you can't have one without the other.

11. Rick & Kate - Castle

I will have to think if I have any females...this is terrible  I should have some...

Edited by 7kstar
  • Love 1

It is horrible out -- below freezing, new snow was falling onto the old snow for about 9 hours today, and now we're getting frozen rain. The restaurant had to close *again,* so I'm called off work *again.* So I'm stuck at home, can't drive anywhere, haven't been able to go anywhere all day, and GOING STIR CRAZY.

How do people get through winter? I hate it so much. This is how desperate I am for something to do:  I've already finished my taxes and cleaned everywhere. Even the shower curtain liner got washed. There's nothing on Netflix and I've watched even the most recent episode of Backstrom twice. FFS! Grump grump grump. Grump.

Any tips for how to survive? Is anyone sitting outside on a warm night with a beer PLEASE SAY YES.

My father claims that to keep warm, people should bathe less, "to keeps the heat in the body." But uuuuh I think I'll continue disregarding that one. ETA:  oh, and heat apparently also has healing effects, because if you're feeling sick (according to him), you should wrap a scarf around your lower back/hips, to "warm your kidneys."

Sorry the weather's getting you down.  I'm definitely not sitting out side with a beer and I'm not likely to for another oh, 3-4 months?  We joke about our weather saying we actually only have 2 seasons; 9 months of winter and 3 months of road construction :D 

I find winter and being snowed in easier to handle if I have stuff to do, so I have hobbies.  Lots of hobbies.  Knitting, sewing, quilting, spinning, mixed media work, card making, reading, baking and I have been known to dabble in cross-stitch, embroidery and once or twice crochet.  I'm not so much about the cleaning though. I consider it a necessary evil and delegate whenever I can.

I'll send better weather thoughts your way!

• Love 1

my weather is warm...our winter doesn't last long.  We don't get snow and if we get ice it shuts the whole city down.  Of course we don't have the equipment to deal with it. 

I don't know how to deal with long winter's...I just know how trying it can be to deal with long summers.  It will start early and sometimes it feels as if it will last through Dec.

Today would have been a nice day to be outdoors and yes you could drink a beer on the porch after 5:00pm...so just imagine that what's your doing.

I like to write and read and watch lots of movies when I don't feel like doing stuff I should be.  lol

I will have to think if I have any females...this is terrible  I should have some...

I know, I have the same problem... for some reason I have very few favorites that are female.

3.  Iolaus - Hercules - live action in the 90's

I totally support that choice - my list has a related character.

Heh - so far it seems to be weirdos. That and characters that are a little off or outside the norm, maybe a little damaged. Let me know if you see a pattern here...

These are in no particular order.

Spike - Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel (I like all incarnations of Spike)

Sam Beckett and Al Calavicci (they are a set) - Quantum Leap

Joxer (the Mighty) - Xena, Warrior Princess

Shawn Spencer and Burton Guster (I can't separate them) - Psych

Garak - Star Trek: Deep Space 9

John Munch - Homicide: Life on the Street and Law & Order: SVU

Frank Pembleton - Homicide: Life on the Street

Mick Belker - Hill Street Blues

Samuel Beckett - China Beach

Jordan Cavanaugh (& Woody) - Crossing Jordan

Nigel and Bug - Crossing Jordan

Timmy (the living doll) - Passions

Mulder and Scully - X-Files

Samantha Carter (& Jack O'Neil) - Stargate SG-1

Carl Grimes - The Walking Dead

Wesley Wyndam-Pryce (& Illyria) - Angel

Tommy Gavin - Rescue Me

Olivia and Elliot - Law & Order: SVU

Robert Goren - Law & Order: Criminal Intent

Jayne Cobb - Firefly

Okay so I cheated and named 20... I just couldn't take any off the list after I'd made it. And there are still a few more I wish I'd had room for. I really am about the characters.

* Most of the ones I ended up leaving off were the comedy ones - which is not fair of me, but oh well. Two of note are: Chandler & Monica - Friends and Larry Appleton and Balki Bartokomous - Perfect Strangers (I know, I know, but I find myself still quoting them all these years later, so that must mean they had an impact) - oh and even worse I loved Steve Urkel from Family Matters, too... and Eric Mathews from Boy Meets World. (Feeny, oh Feeeeny!)

Edited by AwesomO4000

It is horrible out -- below freezing, new snow was falling onto the old snow for about 9 hours today, and now we're getting frozen rain. The restaurant had to close *again,* so I'm called off work *again.* So I'm stuck at home, can't drive anywhere, haven't been able to go anywhere all day, and GOING STIR CRAZY.

Personally, I love winter! I love the snow and the cold. Even when the temps are below zero, I put on my snowshoes and get out of the house for a bit, if I can. I also have lots of indoor hobbies that keep me busy. However, I caught a horrible cold and even though I'm feeling better today, I still don't have the energy to do anything; reading is making my head hurt more than it already does; and watching TV is also making my head hurt a bit--so I feel your stir crazy pain.

ETA: Well crap there was a whole other page...that's what I get for getting sick and sleeping through yesterday, I suppose. I can't even begin to populate a list like this. I watch too much TV and generally favorites are hard for me to pick. As long as they're richly drawn and interesting, I love to watch them.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

I'm in the middle of the re watch and posting all by my lonesome in the episode threads if you're really bored. Just finished Very Supernatural Christmas, but if you want a recommendation, I laughed so hard I cried from Tall Tales and Folsom Prison Blues (hadn't watched them in years, so it was like brand.new.information!) :)

You aren't alone...I've greatly enjoyed reading through them this morning. I might even have a comment or two. ;)

• Love 1

Hmm.  Let me think.

1.  Zoe & Wash (Firefly) I love that they're married and they're such fun characters

2.  Helena (Orphan Black)

3.  Lassiter (Psych)

4.  Amy & Rory (Doctor Who) again, I love that they're married!

5.  Willow (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

6.  River Tam (Firefly)

7.  Commander Worf (Star Trek:TNG  & DS9)

8.  Helo & Athena (Battlestar Galactica) again, another married couple! and I love all the incarnations of 8

9.  Donna (Doctor Who)

10.  Xena (Xena the Warrior Princess)

11. Paul Ballard (Dollhouse)

12.  Clara (the Guild)

• Love 1

Is anyone sitting outside on a warm night with a beer PLEASE SAY YES.

*hand up*  That would be me.  Friday night, I was at karaoke with friends -- outside.  It was in the high 70's.  T-shirt and capri pants.  Quite comfortable.

Dear Chuck, am I ready to get the hell out of Hawaii.  It's like Groundhog Day around here.

• Love 1

*hand up*  That would be me.  Friday night, I was at karaoke with friends -- outside.  It was in the high 70's.  T-shirt and capri pants.  Quite comfortable.

Dear Chuck, am I ready to get the hell out of Hawaii.  It's like Groundhog Day around here.

Wanna trade places?  'Round here we have a saying, "Don't like the weather?  Wait 5 minutes".  Yesterday it was snowing and -10 C/14 F tomorrow should be sunny and +10 C/50 F. 

• Love 1

As for favorite non-SPN characters?  Not sure I can do that.  I love a lot of shows that have incredible ensemble casts -- mostly Britcoms.  Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served?, Vicar of Dibley, Dinnerladies....  One of my all-time favorite shows is Whose Line Is It Anyway? (hard to believe it's been on, in some form, for about 25 years), but no characters there....  

I still love the cheesy 60's tv shows that I discovered in the 80's -- Batman, The Addams Family, The Monkees -- but no one character stood out for me.

I don't remember watching a whole lot of tv in the 90's.  Apart from the aforementioned WLiiA?, that is.  The first half of the decade, I was in high school and college, so I spent most of my time studying and/or hanging out with friends; the second half I was wife and mother, so I watched a lot of kids' shows.  I liked Blue's Clues and Wishbone.  :-)

I don't watch most of the shows mentioned by others.  Sorry.  I do love Bates Motel and Hannibal, though.  I still watch Criminal Minds, though I'm getting close to giving up.  I recently gave up on Bones and Castle.  I like The Flash and Arrow.  Big Bang Theory.  I liked the new Odd Couple, but I suspect that's because I adore Tom Lennon and have followed everything he's done since The State.  It's why I started watching @Midnight.  

Okay, long story short -- I guess I just don't think of the characters as "OMG, I love him/her so much!"  ;-)

• Love 1

A list that is by no means exhaustive or in particular order:

Characters and odd couples:

Mulder and Scully: X-files

Hannibal, Will Graham: Hannibal

Rose, Martha, Donna, Mikey, River Song, Nine, Ten, Eleven: Doctor Who

Marc Antony, Atia, Servilia, Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo: Rome (just a perfect blend of awesome and flaws)

Al Swearengen, Seth Bullock: Deadwood (see Rome)

Most of the characters of Game of Thrones: they're just all fairly complex and thus interesting to me

Michael Weston and Fiona: Burn Notice

William Murdoch: Murdoch Mysteries

Carl Hickman: Crossing Lines (I never quite got the appeal of William Fichtner until this one)

Nathan Ford: Leverage

Gil Grissom: CSI Original recipe (for once, the geek was the boss, even if he wasn't a particular good one)

Jack Carter, Zoe Carter, Jo Lupo: Eureka

Raylan Givens, Winona: Justified

Kara Thrace, Athena, Laura Roslin: BSG

River Tam, Mal Reynolds, Zoe Washburn: Firefly

Stella Gibson: The Fall (and I haven't even watched season 2 yet but Gillian Anderson really acts circles around anyone)

Olivia Dunham: Fringe (I liked her quiet strength)

Janet Scott, Rachel Bailey and Gill Murray: Scott and Bailey (very complex and not always likeable)

Sherlock and John: Sherlock

DS James Hathaway: Inspector Lewis

Luther: Luther

Brenda Johnson: The Closer (see Scott and Bailey)

• Love 1

Glad to know that not everywhere is a frozen wasteland like it is here. HATE WINTER. I don't have any use for most of the seasons, tbh. Can't it always be late summer?

I will be delighted when I can move back to a place where at least there's no real winter to worry about. It's sort of discombobulating but at least it's not icy. Plus, the plants are amazing in places where they don't have to go dormant. One day I'm going to live in a place that's covered in bougainvillea.

However, I caught a horrible cold and even though I'm feeling better today, I still don't have the energy to do anything; reading is making my head hurt more than it already does; and watching TV is also making my head hurt a bit--so I feel your stir crazy pain.

I hope you feel better! Or, hope you already do feel better!

I don't remember watching a whole lot of tv in the 90's.  Apart from the aforementioned WLiiA?, that is.  The first half of the decade, I was in high school and college, so I spent most of my time studying and/or hanging out with friends; the second half I was wife and mother, so I watched a lot of kids' shows.  I liked Blue's Clues and Wishbone.  :-)

Ooh, Wishbone! That was a great show. It's such an off-the-wall premise, though. Who thought, "we'll reenact the great literature classics, but with the staring role always played by a terrier?" Anyway, whenever I think of Ivanhoe, I still think of little Wishbone wearing that ridiculous beard.

Kp6Hp1N.jpg?1

Did your kids watch Ghostwriter? Or was that before their time?

Larry Appleton and Balki Bartokomous - Perfect Strangers (I know, I know, but I find myself still quoting them all these years later, so that must mean they had an impact) - oh and even worse I loved Steve Urkel from Family Matters, too... and Eric Mathews from Boy Meets World. (Feeny, oh Feeeeny!)

LOL I had forgotten about Larry and Balki! You're not alone in your love for them. On Boy Meets World, I really liked Shawn. A couple months ago, I even watched an episode of Girl Meets World because I heard that Shawn was going to be on (shhh!) (and also, yup! still liked him).

Cannot get on board with Urkel, though. Now, Stefan...:P

• Love 2

That's just so weird to see Jensen that young DD! ;) I mean, it's like when those kids who were 10-12 when I went away to college started having kids when I was in my late 20s-early 30s. I kept telling my mom that those kids can't be having babies, they're babies themselves. My mother finally got tired of my surprise and reminded me that even though I hadn't seen them for ten years they had continued to grow up too.

I hope you feel better! Or, hope you already do feel better!

[...]

LOL I had forgotten about Larry and Balki! You're not alone in your love for them. On Boy Meets World, I really liked Shawn. A couple months ago, I even watched an episode of Girl Meets World because I heard that Shawn was going to be on (shhh!) (and also, yup! still liked him).

I do feel better, thank you. Not a 100 percent yet, but well on the way anyway.

I can never forget Balki...I named a dog I had in high school after him. He was half Austrailian Sheppard and half Airdale, huge and with wild hair that never seemed to stop. Mostly though, he was goofy as hell like his namesake.

• Love 4

I can never forget Balki...I named a dog I had in high school after him. He was half Austrailian Sheppard and half Airdale, huge and with wild hair that never seemed to stop. Mostly though, he was goofy as hell like his namesake.

I'm glad you finally feel better!

And that's awesome about your dog. Hee. For some reason the Balki quote my husband and I do on a regular basis - and it just comes up somehow is - My hubby: "Hello. My name is Cousin Larry App-le-ton. How are you?" Me: (As Larry): "Fine." (The joke being that Cousin Larry had temporary amnesia, and Balki was supposed to be coaching him what to say, but instead of Larry repeating after Balki, Larry kept answering the "question". So this usually comes up when one of us forgets something mundane and/or makes a similar answering-type mistake). The other Perfect Strangers quote - and this one comes up often - is from Larry. "I have... a plan!" * We both say this almost any time one of us has an idea that we have a feeling the other one is either not going to like / will be boring for them / is totally off the wall / etc. and/or just because. It never fails to make us both smile and/or laugh and makes something potentially mundane or even annoying somehow fun instead. (My husband and I are weird : p )

* For those unfamiliar with the show, Cousin Larry was always coming up with "plans." They were generally insane and almost always back-fired... horribly and usually amusingly... so anytime Larry announced this, Balki - and anyone else involved  - knew to be afraid, be very afraid of said ensuing plan and its implementation.

1.  Zoe & Wash (Firefly) I love that they're married and they're such fun characters

I had a hard time choosing between Jayne and Wash/Joe. At Dragon*Con I often "dress up" as Jayne (I made my own Jayne hat, and it is "authentic" :  knitted - not crocheted - and "flawed" just like Jayne's), but instead of a regular "brown shirt" I wear a "Wash" shirt. (It's brown, but it has outlines of two dinosaurs with a quote bubble from the stegosaurus saying "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal") By the way: Wash ...  ::sniff:: I think I've got something in my eye (Damn you, Whedon.)

Hannibal, Will Graham: Hannibal

I actually did not see the first season of this show, but I saw the premier of the second season and was sucked right in. It was a completely fascinating ride between these two, and I was so bummed to see its inevitable end.

Cannot get on board with Urkel, though. Now, Stefan...:P

Well that goes without saying - heh.

Anyone who has TNT (and the time), this week's Superfan marathon is Dean's most light-hearted episodes (their words, not mine):

Free to Be You and Me

Live Free or Twi-Hard

The Curious Case of Dean Winchester

Dog Dean Afternoon

Clap Your Hands If You Believe

Monster Movie

Yellow Fever

The Girl With the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo

LARP and the Real Girl

(Those last two are separated from the rest by a block of Grimm, so they may not actually be part of the Dean marathon.)

Edited to remove a superfluous S.

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 1

I'm sorry, but who makes up these lists? At least three of those seem not so "light-hearted" to me. Why not Hollywood Babylon or Nightshifter or Tall Tales or....

Sorry, I know you have no answers, but I always wonder what the criteria is for this stuff.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

When I think of Wishbone, I think of this:

LOL. Such an adorable show. Thanks for that clip!

I actually did not see the first season of this show, but I saw the premier of the second season and was sucked right in. It was a completely fascinating ride between these two, and I was so bummed to see its inevitable end.

Re:  Hannibal

This is kind of horrifying, but I saw that...."inevitable end" as sort of their consummation. Now I think the power dynamic is going to be really different, and Will is going to have it bad for Hannibal (despite himself). While Hannibal is going to go all cold/distant/untouchable because he's got all the control now and he'll want to savor that. POOR WILL. I get the feeling the torment all *that's* going to give him is going to make encephalitis seem like a cakewalk.

Glad you're feeling (mostly) better, DittyDotDot!

• Love 1

That's just so weird to see Jensen that young DD! ;) I mean, it's like when those kids who were 10-12 when I went away to college started having kids when I was in my late 20s-early 30s. I kept telling my mom that those kids can't be having babies, they're babies themselves. My mother finally got tired of my surprise and reminded me that even though I hadn't seen them for ten years they had continued to grow up too.

I can relate.  I see student's I taught and I'm like no way.  Never will forget when I ran into an ex student camping and after he left, my friends asked is that an ex-boyfriend.  NOOOOOOOOOO...ex student and he still too young for me to date.  lol.

It is funny seeing Jensen so young in wishbone. 

Now if I can just survive this weekend.  Students seem to think they don't need to memorize their stinking lines and they did it great once so they'll be fine...but today stunk.  Help...why did I become a teacher...I'm losing my mind.  If you find my brain please return it.  :)

Glad your feeling better Dittydotdot

Edited by 7kstar

Anyone who has TNT (and the time), this week's Superfan marathon is Dean's most light-hearted episodes (their words, not mine):

Free to Be You and Me

Live Free or Twi-Hard

Dog Dean Afternoon

Monster Movie

Yellow Fever

LARP and the Real Girl

I shouldn't get upset about this but Yellow F---ing Fever? granted I hate the episode and just poured out another rant about it but still.

Live Free and Twi-Hard?

Do they even watch the show? Do they also realize that this show is three years older than the first episode they have there?

Why am I asking?

Oh TNT, you just don't get Supernatural.  Even the "light-hearted" episodes are soul - crushing. 

Monster Movie is about the only one that is halfway light hearted. 

And yeah Live Free or Twi Hard? HOLY SHIT.  I thought the CW promo monkeys were idiots.

Edited by catrox14

Free to Be You and Me

Live Free or Twi-Hard

Dog Dean Afternoon

Monster Movie

Yellow Fever

LARP and the Real Girl

Seriously?  Live Free or Twi-Hard is NOT lighthearted.  I could see where someone might think Yellow Fever is lighthearted, especially Dean's scream when the cat jumps out at him, but not really.  And while there are also lighthearted scenes in most of the other episodes, they aren't exactly lighthearted episodes.  I mean, there are even lighthearted scenes in Faith, but that isn't a lighthearted episode.   Are there even lighthearted episodes of Supernatural?  With the exception of maybe Monster Movie, Changing Channels and The French Mistake, I don't think so.

Seriously?  Live Free or Twi-Hard is NOT lighthearted.  I could see where someone might think Yellow Fever is lighthearted, especially Dean's scream when the cat jumps out at him, but not really.  And while there are also lighthearted scenes in most of the other episodes, they aren't exactly lighthearted episodes.  I mean, there are even lighthearted scenes in Faith, but that isn't a lighthearted episode.   Are there even lighthearted episodes of Supernatural?  With the exception of maybe Monster Movie, Changing Channels and The French Mistake, I don't think so.

I think Tall Tales, Hollywood Babylon, Monster Movie , and French Mistake are the most light hearted of the series.  Changing Channels is not light hearted because of Gabriel and is soul crushing by the end just like Mystery Spot.

I mean seriously how is Dean being vamped against his will - considered light hearted.  /face palm

For what it's worth, before  the "official" start of the marathon, they show 3 episodes in order.  They're currently on S2, so before the marathon, they're showing:

Heart

Hollywood Babylon

Folsom Prison Blues

So, I'll consider those last 2 part of the marathon, because they're closer to lighthearted than most of the other episodes.

Oops, fixed a typo.

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 1

I think Tall Tales, Hollywood Babylon, Monster Movie , and French Mistake are the most light hearted of the series.  Changing Channels is not light hearted because of Gabriel and is soul crushing by the end just like Mystery Spot.

I mean seriously how is Dean being vamped against his will - considered light hearted.  /face palm

I agree with your, choices here, catrox, and I might add "Bad Day at Black Rock" and especially "Plucky Pennywhistle's Magical Menagerie," though those might be more Sam light-hearted episodes, I suppose. I'd maybe also include "Frontierland," and I'm not sure why that one isn't in the marathon, because: Clint Eastwood Dean.

• Love 1

I agree with your, choices here, catrox, and I might add "Bad Day at Black Rock" and especially "Plucky Pennywhistle's Magical Menagerie," though those might be more Sam light-hearted episodes, I suppose. I'd maybe also include "Frontierland," and I'm not sure why that one isn't in the marathon, because: Clint Eastwood Dean.

Oh good call on  Frontierland! Seriously how do they include Live free or Twi Hard and not Frontierland?  Sheesh.

Agree with you on Bad Day at Black Rock and I never ever remember Plucky Pennywhistle's even exists. 

• Love 1

AwesomO4000, your new profile pic is fantastic. Thinking about Sam's Bouffant of Angst and his general (inexplicable) hairstyling issues...

Yesterday I was giving myself a new hairstyle/trim and hassling with the curl diffuser and the Argan Oil etc and it was just NOT WORKING and I must admit that it crossed my mind in all seriousness to tweet Timothy Omundson to ask how in the world his stylist managed to get his hair to do this:

l6ALTu6.jpg?1

But you know who really should tweet Timothy Omundson? Mr. Jared Padalecki. I'm sure his hairstylist does his/her best, but I feel like a consult with whoever managed to pull off that no-frizz-just-the-right-amount-of-body thing could not hurt! And before this show goes out I need to see Sam have ONE legitimately flattering (as opposed to "adequate") hairstyle. As of this minute, it's officially on my bucket list. "See Sam Winchester with legitimately good-looking hair."

Though, if his hair is going to continue to look bad, hopefully it'll at least also continue to provide a window into his soul.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 4

I'm finally all caught up on episodes and posts after foolishly moving during the holidays. Have you ever moved and as you're packing/unpacking wondered why do have this, where did it come from, what's it even for? On the bright side my sister finally got back that stupid punch bowl she kept insisting I had that I was positive I had returned, I borrowed it for my daughters 10th b day party which was loosely tea party/princess themed, she's 18 now, worst returner ever.

• Love 6

I knew someone was going to ask....

I see gold and bluish-white.  Strangely enough, I saw another picture of the woman actually wearing the dress and it was blue and black.  I think it's just two versions of the same dress.  I've read the articles about rods and cones and whatnot, but I'm not convinced.

My husband is color blind, so I asked him and he said that he sees a light color and a slightly darker color.  Which is interesting because if he saw blue and black, they would look the same to him.  He can't distinguish between black and the darker versions of blue, green, and purple.

Edited by Demented Daisy

The other reason I'm not convinced that someone isn't trolling the internet is that, to me, on the left is something black and white.  Why would I see that black and not the black on the dress?

Then, the right side of the picture looks horribly over-exposed.  Some weird lighting thing is going on there.

At first, I was seeing white and gold -- until I looked at the white and gold version in this link *next* to the original picture, and then I was seeing blue and black. It switches back to white and gold if I go look at something outside/in the sunlight before looking at the picture again.

I think the illusion is because the flash being reflected in the mirror can make it look like the dress is back-lit (and is a white/gold dress in a little bit of shadow), even though the flash is also lighting the dress from the front (making it look like a black/blue dress that's slightly sun-bleached).

Admittedly, that theory was formed after A Very Long Time spent looking at that picture, but tbh, doing my small part to fan the flames of mass hysteria is always worth the time :P

ETA:

I also asked my mom what colors she thought it was, but her answer was basically, "I don't have time for this nonsense!" So says the woman with a Publishers Clearing House letter in pride-of-place on the fridge door. Mmmmhmmm.

Edited by rue721