Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E12: The Great Pretender

• Start Topic

So, maybe it is just because of this show's habit of putting characters together, but I'm kind of afraid that TPTB are going there with Alex/Meredith. There seem to be a lot of scenes where people observe/comment on the weird trajectory of their relationship. For example, the scene in the elevator with Maggie, Alex, Meredith, and Callie, both Maggie and Callie give these great WTF expressions after Alex was just like "Yeah tell me now or you'll just show up in my bed tonight." (paraphrased). I just don't know. Not to mention, all the scenes with Jo basically hitting us over the head with the fact that Meredith is intruding on their relationship. I just really TPTB don't go there. Alex is one of my favorite characters and although I've been wanting him to have more story lines, an Alex/Meredith fling/romance is not what I meant. 

Edited by Inquiry
  • Love 1

I really hope they don't go that route because one of the things I liked about the Cristina/Meredith/Alex friendship is that there was no sexual tension between them.

I am totally fine with Meredith having a weekend alone and remembering what it's like not to be someone's wife or mom or doctor. Everyone needs that once in a while. But at least tell your babysitter where you are so that she can cover for you! What if Maggie hadn't thought to lie and then she and Derek thought she was missing or in an accident (take your pick of the variety of accidents that have befallen people on this show)?

Man, I love how often the doctors at this hospital completely ignore HIPAA and patient confidentiality. Between Bailey telling Ben that his brother was transitioning and Callie telling the petting boyfriend that his girlfriend wasn't really fainting, good lord. I know that Bailey and Callie's intentions were good but that's still not cool, guys.

Although I now find Herman more amusing, I was worried that her personality shift was going to be another sign that her tumor had gotten worse. And to be honest, all that "you've been hiding what a bad girl you are" talk with Robbins was a bit much. When was Arizona supposed to tell her that she cheated on herwife? Before or after Herman berated her for something else last year? She barely tolerated Arizona before, despite Arizona's efforts to be friendly.

Ugh, Jo is still annoying. You barge into a bathroom with a closed door (which is always a huge NO in my book), you see a person who is about to get into the shower, and you strip down and steal her shower? RUDE! I don't care if you're sleeping with the owner of the house. That is just terrible behavior. Wait your turn, lady!

On a shallow note, was Meredith wearing tights when she was jumping up and down on the bed? In the long shots, her legs looked way darker than the rest of her body (in color and in the black and white shot at the very end).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5
Ugh, Jo is still annoying. You barge into a bathroom with a closed door (which is always a huge NO in my book), you see a person who is about to get into the shower, and you strip down and steal her shower? RUDE! I don't care if you're sleeping with the owner of the house. That is just terrible behavior. Wait your turn, lady!

I'm waiting for someone to tell Alex that he just found another Izzie.

This episode was equal turns "zzzzz" and "WTF?" First, are they trying to make Meredith the most annoying person on the show? Okay, I get needing to get away and needing some alone time, away from being a wife/mother/doctor/person-everyone-turns-to-for-everything. I get it. And I do realize she didn't plan on disappearing for the weekend for her alone time, but once she did, she really should have told Maggie. You can't stick someone with your kids for the weekend and let them think you're one place when you're really somewhere else and they find themselves blindsided when the person they thought you were with makes it clear that you're not there. Perhaps Meredith didn't think Derek was going to call Maggie looking for her, but he did and she really needed to apologize for putting Maggie in that position. It was rude and thoughtless.

As for Meredith and Derek's relationship, and her realizing that she's kind of happier with him gone ... eh. I don't think it's necessarily the end of the world to have those feelings. They've been having issues for a while and I'm sure it's a relief to just not have to deal anymore. Perhaps Derek being in D.C. is the best thing for them right now. Maybe they need to be kinda sorta separated and doing their own thing. Or maybe Meredith will finally do her mother one better and dump the kids on Derek and go off to live her own life. I can't remember the last time she looked like she actually enjoyed those kids. DId she ever pick them up from daycare?

A subplot about Bailey's husband's brother (-turned-sister). I spent the whole episode wondering why I was supposed to care. I barely care about Bailey's husband. I don't even care about Bailey anymore. Why are you bothering me with this, show?

I might have felt sorry for Webber about being used by Catherine except it seemed pretty obvious last week that she just wanted someone to comfort and distract her.

Owen and Amelia. On the one hand, yay, he can finally stop whining about Cristina for five seconds. On the other hand, ew.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 4

Ok, Meredith has starting to fall into one of the worse parents on ABC just below Ryan and Kristin from Last Man Standing. I mean, I can completely understand having a weekend to yourself. We all want it where we are not the parent, spouse and career person. Just the person who can just do whatever in a fun way even for a day. However, it comes off that Meredith would rather be drinking and eating cheap pizza and bouncing on a bed in her underwear like some sorority girl. That's just too much and of course Richard can't take a woman in power, we saw that's the reason why he never ran away with Elis. He doesn't like not being "The Sun". Wow! What a bad episode but I was with Avery on everything. Its just a hard and confusing time and what is he suppose to do?

• Love 1

So, maybe it is just because of this show's habit of putting characters together, but I'm kind of afraid that TPTB are going there with Alex/Meredith. There seem to be a lot of scenes where people observe/comment on the weird trajectory of their relationship. For example, the scene in the elevator with Maggie, Alex, Meredith, and Callie, both Maggie and Callie give these great WTF expressions after Alex was just like "Yeah tell me now or you'll just show up in my bed tonight." (paraphrased). I just don't know. Not to mention, all the scenes with Jo basically hitting us over the head with the fact that Meredith is intruding on their relationship. I just really TPTB don't go there. Alex is one of my favorite characters and although I've been wanting him to have more story lines, an Alex/Meredith fling/romance is not what I meant.

I don't think that they are going there, but I do really believe that there is some kind of weird jealousy thing going on. Alex was clearly a bit miffed that Mer was confiding in Maggie instead of him, even though he is pretty much over being Mer's person. And I am beginning to wonder if Meredith is a little resentful of/threatened by Jo. She was laughing when Jo showed up at the end, and after Alex made his declaration (which she blatantly ignored), she got a weird look on her face, beyond just being upset about Derek. It makes sense to me since she is now without Cris and Derek (not to mention everyone else who has died or left) that she would be fearful of "losing" Alex too. It would also explain, though not excuse, why she is being such an utter dismissive bitch to Jo.

I'm waiting for someone to tell Alex that he just found another Izzie.

Jo needs a lot more self-righteous speeches and instances where she treats Alex like he isn't quite good enough for her under belt before she can claim that honor. Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 5

Jo needs a lot more self-righteous speeches and instances where she treats Alex like he isn't quite good enough for her under belt before she can claim that honor.

Thank you! I have never seen the Jo/Izzie comparisons. Stephanie always reminded me more of Izzie than Jo ever has.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 3
Thank you! I have never seen the Jo/Izzie comparisons.

Nothing about Jo has ever reminded me of Izzie until last night, with her barging into bathrooms, stripping in front of people and being completely oblivious to their needs and disrespectful of their privacy all taken straight from the Dr. Stevens handbook so much that it felt like another plot rehash.

• Love 3
She was laughing when Jo showed up at the end, and after Alex made his declaration (which she blatantly ignored), she got a weird look on her face, beyond just being upset about Derek.

She was probably pissed that Alex talked about himself and not her, being she's the sun and all.

Nothing about Jo has ever reminded me of Izzie until last night, with her barging into bathrooms, stripping in front of people and being completely oblivious to their needs and disrespectful of their privacy all taken straight from the Dr. Stevens handbook so much that it felt like another plot rehash.

Jo doesn't remind me of Izzie. I only remember Izzie stripping the one time in the locker room and don't remember her barging in the bathroom but I could have forgotten.

Why wouldn't Derek just call Meredith's cell phone?

I don't know if it was said if he called but from what she said she was completely avoiding him so she probably didn't answer.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2

I was just stoked that they remembered Arizona is gay in this instance. Now if only they'd remember she's an amputee who shouldn't be able to just strip and step into the shower. Baby steps.

• Love 2
I only remember Izzie stripping the one time in the locker room and don't remember her barging in the bathroom but I could have forgotten.

Oh, she was all up in George's business when he was in the bathroom and had no boundaries about walking in and out in her undies no matter how uncomfortable he was. Jo suddenly doing the same thing, nattering on a mile a minute and acting like it was nothing was so Izzie I did a double-take.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 4

What I'm wondering is why Maggie lied to Derek.  In her position, if Derek called asking where is Meredith, I'd be all, "What?  You mean she's not with you?  She left for her flight to DC yesterday!  OMG, something must have happened. We should call the police."

My first thought wouldn't be to lie, but to think she'd gotten into an accident or something.

• Love 8
Oh, she was all up in George's business when he was in the bathroom and had no boundaries about walking in and out in her undies no matter how uncomfortable he was. Jo suddenly doing the same thing, nattering on a mile a minute and acting like it was nothing was so Izzie I did a double-take.

I forgot all about that. That feels like a lifetime ago.  To me the "no boundaries" issue applies to just about everyone. Callie peeing in front of other people, walking in when Mark was showering, the weirdness of all Meredith's friends having no boundaries when Derek lived there, Meredith barging in and jumping in bed with Alex, etc. There's been so many instances since early Izzie that I don't associate that behavior with just Izzie.  Jo is just another in the long, long line.

My first thought wouldn't be to lie, but to think she'd gotten into an accident or something.

Maggie said she texted her that she was having a great time so Maggie knew she wasn't injured.  She lied to cover for her since she knew her great time wasn't with Derek.

Edited by windsprints

There's something I've always wondered about with this show. We're constantly seeing people scrub in to surgeries as a way of forcing contact with each other. Doesn't the patient's insurance company get billed for that? Is some poor schmuck going to get stuck with an inflated bill because Catherine felt like using an operation as a way to placate Richard and check up on Jackson? In all those pages and pages of EOB statements is there going to be a charge because three surgeons - one of them a plastics man - couldn't bring themselves to meet in the cafeteria like adults?

• Love 9

Man, this Grey's without Derek Shepherd is killing me. Amelia and Owen - just, no. The best thing about this episode was Callie, and I'm not even a fan.

Meredith bugged. She wondered if he'd be happy to see her? Enjoying life without him and the kids? I know a way that can be accomplished, Mer. Divorce him and give him full custody and you can be without anyone for the rest of your life. Or, move to Switzerland.

It´s you again :) and I agree again. 

• Love 1
Maggie said she texted her that she was having a great time so Maggie knew she wasn't injured.  She lied to cover for her since she knew her great time wasn't with Derek.

Ohh, thank you, I must have missed that.  Now it makes more sense! 

But brings up another question...why didn't she text Meredith back and tell her that Derek called 3 times.

• Love 2

I was just stoked that they remembered Arizona is gay in this instance. Now if only they'd remember she's an amputee who shouldn't be able to just strip and step into the shower. Baby steps.

They did make that point later when Arizona was with Dr. Herman as she was assembling a home in the hospital.  Herman asked her why she doesn't roller skate in the hospital anymore.  I think watching them relocate furniture is kind of funny.  "What happened to the couch?" 

• Love 1

why didn't she text Meredith back and tell her that Derek called 3 times.

Face it: we spend more time thinking about these plot points than the writers do. Derek obviously checks in with Meredith and the kids every day (3 times while Maggie was babysitting), so why did Meredith not expect Maggie to have to deal with that? She should have had - at least - a cover story or a lie ready. It's stupid. And why (when she was supposed to be working) did she plan to go see him anyway, since she apparently didn't want to?

Edited by Tuleh2
  • Love 4

On a shallow note, was Meredith wearing tights when she was jumping up and down on the bed? In the long shots, her legs looked way darker than the rest of her body (in color and in the black and white shot at the very end).

On an even shallower note I was convinced that wasn't even Ellen Pompeo in the long shots because no way a woman who has had two children has abs/stomach that looks like that.  If it really was her I hate her. I haven't given birth and I don't look that good. 

Also I don't care about the story much but I'm a little peeved at Bailey for not supporting Ben a bit more. Yes he was awful to say those things to his brother but it's a highly emotional time...he apparently just lost his father ... and Bailey had every right to call him out for being so hateful to his brother but he admitted alot of his problem is that he told his brother everything and felt like he'd been lied too. Not about what his brother was doing but their relationship to each other.  She should have shown a little more understanding after that.  Yeah Bailey can be ok with it after a few hours but she's only known Curt for what? a couple of years?

Now after this conversation and some reflection from Ben and he calms down and thinks about it but if decides to still be a total asshole to his brother or not willing to talk to him more then yes she can be angry and disappointed but give a man some time to assimilate huh?

• Love 6

A subplot about Bailey's husband's brother (-turned-sister). I spent the whole episode wondering why I was supposed to care. I barely care about Bailey's husband. I don't even care about Bailey anymore. Why are you bothering me with this, show?

This!  At first, I thought I'm really just not in the mood to watch a transgender storyline tonight, but I think this actually sums up my feelings better!  I just didn't care and not really sure why I should care.  I hate to say it, but I feel that way about a lot of the stories lately, but I've watched from the beginning and I guess I'm just not going to stop.

• Love 2

I liked Arizona having fun with her boss, and liked Gina Davis' teasing Owen. I wondered where Arizona and Callie's daughter was, though - Callie was out drinking and dancing, and Arizona was at the hospital. Meredith was letting herself into Alex's home.

• Love 1

I knew it!  I knew Meredith was just enjoying being away from it all.  They had me going there for a minute, but I knew.  Maggie is just too much of a goody-goody to be Meredith's "person," so I was relieved when she met with Alex.  Even April would be a better person for Meredith than Maggie.

I just realized that Catherine is the most domineering personality they've ever had on this show.  Burke was pretty close, but even he wasn't quite so forceful.

When Owen was about to kiss Ameila, I was becoming irritated because it looked like he was going to deliver a repetitive Shondalogue about how he was going to kiss her.  Thank goodness he stopped at just telling her that he was going to kiss her because I have so little tolerance for that shit nowadays.

Edited by Starscream
  • Love 2

To me the "no boundaries" issue applies to just about everyone. Callie peeing in front of other people, walking in when Mark was showering, the weirdness of all Meredith's friends having no boundaries when Derek lived there, Meredith barging in and jumping in bed with Alex, etc. There's been so many instances since early Izzie that I don't associate that behavior with just Izzie.  Jo is just another in the long, long line.

Yes! I was saying just last week that the boundaries didn't go both ways, so I'm glad that finally, Jo behaves with others the way they behave with her. I thought that Jo and Alex lived together, so it makes the house her home, too, right?

Jo has always been, pretty much, the anti-Izzie for me. Funnily, I remember how Izzie (and Mere?) were complaining about Callie having no boundaries and asking George to tell his girlfriend to behave when she stayed at Casa Meredith, at the very beginning of their relationship.

LOVED Alex's line about marrying Jo. I love when Alex is happy. On a side,  very shallow note, C.Luddington is really gorgeous.

Maybe Mere seemed bordering on annoyed because Alex is happy, for once; I think there's also that she imo never had much sympathy for Jo. But I think that mostly, she wasn't interested.

Maybe what Mere needs is surgery to widen her field of vision, which is lately reduced to her belly-button.

I'm boarding the Owen/Amelia ship. I liked what I saw in this episode. I liked that he was flustered, not in control. I liked that she made the first step but felt awkward still. I found their scenes cute, and their kiss hot.

Herman is hilarious. And I like Arizona way better when she admits she isn't perfect. I also liked the Amelia/Callie discussion.

Ben, your brother transitioning doesn't make you less of a man. It isn't about your insecurities, it's about her well-being. Stop being a self-centered ass, thank you.

At least, this is the real issue that Ben had with the situation, imo.

Bailey was for once the voice of reason for me, and I loved how Jackson was non-judgemental and reassuring with Roselyne.

Nevertheless, I don't remember meeting the brother before, so the storyline seemed quite random to me.

I had fun watching this one anyway, and it was nice after the emotional punch in the guts of last week.

• Love 3

I thought that Ben's reaction to his brother was realistic, but I loved Bailey's "it's her!".

I thought his reaction was more realistic than Bailey's.  Most people require more than five minutes to totally change how they refer to that person's gender.  As right as it was, it became increasingly irritating for Bailey to keep up with the "her" and "she".

Bitch, please, if you leave your kids with someone FOR THE WEEKEND and your husband, whom you were meant to be visiting, needed to be lied to 3x, you do owe the person an explanation.  

The whole thing was wonky.  If Maggie was willing to lie to Dereck, wouldn't she be texting Meredith about his phone calls?  Unless I missed it, it wasn't mentioned that Meredith lost her phone, or turned it off for the weekend.  Which means she would have been ignoring multiple calls from Dereck, and multiple messages from Maggie.  It's not like Meredith said - yeah I saw that you called but didn't feel like answering, or whatever.  It is character assassination, that's for sure.

I agree that Ben's brother seemed too masculine for what he was doing. Wouldn't he change his hairstyle and clothing? The story didn't play out quite right.

The story didn't work for me in so many ways.  First, starting the whole thing outside the hospital added nothing to the storyline.   Second, this process is very complicated and there's psychological testing involved.  The fact that this guy was going about things in such a haphazard manner when the topic is so easily researched, speaks to his level of commitment.  Why Jackson of all people seemed to be the expert really threw me.  Why is plastics involved?  If they're prepping him for surgery, that's years in the future.  It requires a full psychological examination, and typically requires a candidate to have lived a year completely in the other gender.  It's also a surgery that takes place in very limited areas, and requires a Urologist as well as others.  If Jackson is only prepping the guy regarding hormones, he should do more than hear an earful from Bailey and ask the guy what his new name is.  I would hope an endocrinologist, an expert in hormones, would be consulted.  This guy had already seriously damaged his body by what he was doing, and he's still lying to his family members.  Therapy needs to be involved before a physician just hands over heavy duty hormones.

• Love 4

I having been hanging on by a thread. Last nights show did not do it for me. I didn't find the funny parts funny, I couldn't listen to Meredith's lame excuse for where she was, and Amelia and Owen seemed too obvious. I don't know. I really don't. Jo was super annoying and Alex is being ruined along w Meredith. They do have too many cast members and I feel everything on the show has become repetitive. I really wish for closure on the main characters so I can let go...

"You live with Residents? You're a GROWNUP. Get your own place!"

Well said, Dr. Rubber Face. I wish all of these boobs would notice they make six figures a year and stop whining about needing a place to live every time they end a relationship. Bunch of co-dependent nutters.

Remember when Callie came out to her dad and he cut off her trust fund? She went broke IMMEDIATELY. She was an attending and could not even buy her own dinner. So ridiculous.

Meredith has NO reason to put her kids in daycare ever again. She can afford a nanny, AND an emergency babysitter. I don't have a problem with daycare if it's all you can afford, but she is rich. And those kids could be at the park, and the zoo, and the library. Why choose to lock them inside all day if you don't have to. Meredith is acting so so weird these days. I've never liked her, but at least I knew why. Now I still don't like her but for different reasons. I half wonder if she made up the going to a motel story as a way of covering up that she is losing her mind and forgot why she was at the airport and doesn't want to face it. And it still doesn't excuse not talking to her kids or even going to see them when she got "back." How messed up is she that blew off her husband because she feared he would be mad? Um, pretty sure he's mad NOW, you lunatic. Leave Alex alone and go see your kids. And go back to therapy. And get a brain scan! 

I was so wishing Alex would tell her as much, but instead he hugged her and re-enforced their messed up twisted friendship. I so hope Alex will the one who gets to kick her butt one of these days.

I love how Callie was the one to relate to the loser boyfriend. Her pathetic neediness has always been a problem., so watching her pity the guy was sad and funny at the same time.

I actually didn't have a problem with Amelia and Owen. He has PTSD and Amelia is an addict. Nothing will be the chemistry that was Christina and Owen, but this quieter, kind of boring romance is better suited for two people who can barely keep their issues under control. 

I continue to be distracted by scenes where Arizona most definitely has two legs. She was in so many positions in this episode that were pushing the envelope on reality.

• Love 10
You're a GROWNUP. Get your own place!

Unfortunately even having their own place doesn't have them living like grownups. See Meredith barging in to Alex's house all the time.

There are millions of overworked and exhausted working moms who make sacrifices for their family daily who could definitely use a couple of days alone to sleep and relax. I have a hard time seeing Meredith as one of them. Since becoming a mother she still goes out drinking whenever she wants, leaves the kids in daycare even for work she doesn't need to be present for and goes to her friend's houses to ramble about herself. She has access to 24 hour daycare, babysitters and recently a nanny. Additionally, she has relatives and friends who have watched her children over and over. Honestly, I can't even recall scenes where she was even holding the kids where I can recall several with Derek and the children. If I actually thought Meredith was mothering her kids then maybe her needing a break from mothering would have not felt so ridiculous. Add that she couldn't even pick up a phone and call to check on her kids shows her as not a very good mother at all. She's so twitchy and odd about everything and that makes it worse too.

She was laughing when Jo showed up at the end, and after Alex made his declaration (which she blatantly ignored), she got a weird look on her face, beyond just being upset about Derek. It makes sense to me since she is now without Cris and Derek (not to mention everyone else who has died or left) that she would be fearful of "losing" Alex too. It would also explain, though not excuse, why she is being such an utter dismissive bitch to Jo.

I think she's just a bitch. I was relieved that they cut away after Alex said he was going to marry Jo because given the look on her face I think she would have said something bitchy. I do think you are correct and that she will somehow have an attitude and/or cause some problems in Alex's relationship with Jo. 

I was not at all bothered by Jo taking the shower. She lives there with Alex and Alex's friends treat her like crap. Take your house, Jo. And maybe install a security system to keep Meredith from jumping in bed in the middle of the night.

Episode was so boring. I get they wanted lighter after last week but lighter didn't need to be dull.

Edited by maasa
  • Love 1

The transgender storyline was my favourite of the night. It may not have been handled entirely realistically, but not too badly by Grey's Anatomy standards. I have become disenchanted by Bailey over the past few years, but I loved how she made such a point of not misgendering Rosalind, and correcting Ben. Yes, this would be difficult for Ben, but about a thousand times harder for Rosalind, so good for Bailey! This is an important issue, and needs more coverage in mainstream media. Anyone who thinks otherwise should look up #hernamewasleelah and #hisnamewaszander.

This is an important issue, and needs more coverage in mainstream media.

MORE? I think we've hit the saturation point already. I can't remember going to a mainstream news website and NOT seeing the word "trans" at least once or twice every single day. Endless media coverage. TV shows all seem to have addressed trans issues the past few years. What more attention could there possibly be?

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Love 1

I would have found the transgender story more interesting if it hadn't come right out of the blue.  Maybe I missed an episode somewhere (when it moved to an earlier hour, I forgot about it a couple of times), but when did Ben's father die?  have we met his brother before?  If his brother had made a few appearances and we got to know a little about him and maybe little hints were being dropped, then the whole story would have been more significant. 

I thought the fake-fainting woman's story was funny (although it wasn't Callie's place to handle the break up).  That guy was more creepy than sad.

Don't care about Owen/Amelia or Catherine. 

• Love 5

Well, I just relapsed on this show again. 

I am really not on Meredith's corner now. 

I never expected Meredith to be cheating but I'm not sure her actions were that much better. I am not against having an actual "time-out" to recharge, by all means, have it, but did she really need not to tell anyone? Maggie seems to buy whatever she sells, so just tell her the truth. That way, if there's an emergency with the kids or with Derek, there is a way to contact her. Also, she couldn't spared a better hotel? Airport hotels are the worst. Surely there's a Four Seasons with a better mini-bar. But what do I know.

Derek should've taken the kids with him. I'm sure as hell he would've provided more stability and a better care. Leaving them with people they don't know and trusting them with anyone, it seems (her line of "I trust my kids with the baby sitter" really bugged the hell out of me), isn't doing well. It may be how she grew up, but it doesn't mean that's how it should be, especially when there's a parent who is more interested in them. Last week, it seemed they were a burden. Yesterday, it seems she doesn't even care. She didn't even call to check on them. I do not follow this line of parenting. 

As for MerDer, I don't even know anymore. I know Derek's feelings aren't even worth enough to be considered but gotta feel awful for him. I understand Meredith might be taken back by how the last few months have gone but for the love of the hospital you love so much, talk to your husband. Maybe he feels the same way. Maybe he also needs a break. Maybe he's also worried (and now confirmed by us) that Meredith doesn't want to be with him for now. But this avoidance, as she has done all season, isn't boding well. I hope that at least he's golfing with Obama and going fishing with his new buddies and got a new dog, because he deserves more than being last place. 

Herman can be funny! But she's a goner. No way that now that she's likable, she's going to stay.

I was starting to dislike Amelia. Now that Owen kissed her, I now really don't like her. Stop forcing everyone to pair with everyone. People can live alone and be independent and be happy. The GA writers need a lesson in this. 

I'm not interested in Bailey that much more but liked what I saw with the transgender SL. 

On an even shallower note I was convinced that wasn't even Ellen Pompeo in the long shots because no way a woman who has had two children has abs/stomach that looks like that.  If it really was her I hate her. I haven't given birth and I don't look that good.

She only gave birth to one of her daughters. Given that she's tiny and is in Hollywood (i.e. exercise all day and diets), she rebounded pretty well. Fantastic body. I knew the lighting was on purpose to avoid anything but I am jealous as well. And I'm as skinny (but not as fit) as she is. 

ETA: Maybe it's my bias to PD, but the show has taken a hit without him. Even if he showed up 30 seconds but now nothing? Terrible. Same with SO. I was done with Cristina when she left but the whole thing feels off. 

Edited by AnitaM86
  • Love 5

I didn't see Meredith taking a time out. That wasn't ever her plan. She  just got cowardly about facing up to her vows and responsibilities and then said she was too embarrassed and proud to go slinking home from the airport when she chickened out with getting on the plane. Then she ended up having so much fun hanging out alone that she now justifies standing up her husband and their plans. It's wretched. 

And stupid. If she wants to be alone so much, then GO HOME. You ARE alone, Meredith, and instead you go running over to Alex' place every chance you get. Just one episode ago you confessed that you can't be alone, so don't act like you needed time away. This wasn't about being a mom. This was about you suddenly thinking your vows were a hassle and you managed THE most insensitive way of handling it. By not handling it all.

And, considering what Pierce said last week about loving to be alone, why was she so so upset thinking poor poor Mer had to spend a weekend alone in a motel? It's like everything went upside down in a single week. 180 degree character changes.

• Love 5

MORE? I think we've hit the saturation point already. I can't remember going to a mainstream news website and NOT seeing the word "trans" at least once or twice every single day. Endless media coverage. TV shows all seem to have addressed trans issues the past few years. What more attention could there possibly be?

A storyline on a mainstream tv show normalizes being transgender. The more, the better.

Edited by BC Mama
  • Love 6

Honestly, I can't even recall scenes where she was even holding the kids

I think it was just last episode where she carried Lola to bed and affectionately stroked her hair and I thought she seemed warm. It surprised me.

I hate Meredith but I have no recollection of Bailey holding her kids much either. Or Callie. Callie was the one who wanted six kids with George and now she is as bad as the rest of them that the kids come last. On this show, they all suck at being nurturers. Bailey's new husband does more with Tuck than she does. More and more I think Mer needs to get over what Ellis did and take a good look around her. Every mom on this show is as bad at this as her mother was - including herself. Shonda has serious mommy issues.

Edited to add that I DO have many memories of Mark fawning all over both of his daughters, and it was Derek who fell in love with Zola and wanted her. And Bailey's husband was a stay at home dad and her current husband left his career path to prioritize his time with Tuck.. Shonda needs all of the dads to seem in a better light than the moms. ISSUES

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 1

Or kids just have no place on this show. They do it so horribly.

My favorite part of the episode was Alex teasing Arizona in front of Herman, and the kick that she got out of it. It's nice that Alec can still be funny and sarcastic without being overly mean like he used to be. Ah, the power of love!

• Love 5

I hate Meredith but I have no recollection of Bailey holding her kids much either. Or Callie. Callie was the one who wanted six kids with George and now she is as bad as the rest of them that the kids come last. On this show, they all suck at being nurturers. Bailey's new husband does more with Tuck than she does.

I absolutely agree that none put the kids first. I never expect to see TV babies and kids all that much and that's ok especially on shows that take place in a workplace. We hardly ever see Sofia. There's been mentions of babysitters enough that we know Callie and Arizona have them. We don't see them acting like its such a burden and running around trying to pawn the kids off on others. Basically, if someone is supposed to be viewed as this busy, exhausted parent then show them being one. 

I thought the fake-fainting woman's story was funny (although it wasn't Callie's place to handle the break up).  That guy was more creepy than sad.

Meh.  Guess it's just me, but I still thought the woman came off worse by not doing it herself.  That shit always comes off as cowardly to me.

I didn't mind Arizona getting upset about Jo getting in the shower. Arizona/Jo have had such few interactions over the last few seasons the only one that I remember that had anything to do with Alex was when Jo went to Arizona about how she thought Alex set her up to fail in surgery.  Now, Meredith being rude to Jo really bugs me. I really hope she doesn't cause problems between Alex/Jo because this is the happiest he has been.

• Love 2

Not a good one. Nothing worked, except the story of Ben's brother transitioning and Callie dating again. Amelia/Owen were awful, and Meredith's story was dumb. No other adjective works as well as dumb. 

• Love 1

On a shallow note, Callie's pick up at the bar was damn hot. And that's the only part of this episode I remember. I hate hate this show now, but I somehow feel I should see it through to it's pitiful end. I hate all the characters now, except Alex occasionally and Jackson was always just pretty for me.

Please pull the plug, ABC. Watching this feels like the most obligatory and painfully awkward family reunion now where a formerly beloved relative is now some kind of hot rachety mess and no one wants to tell them.

• Love 1

I would have found the transgender story more interesting if it hadn't come right out of the blue.  Maybe I missed an episode somewhere (when it moved to an earlier hour, I forgot about it a couple of times), but when did Ben's father die?  have we met his brother before?  If his brother had made a few appearances and we got to know a little about him and maybe little hints were being dropped, then the whole story would have been more significant. 

At the beginning of the episode I kept thinking I missed something because I couldn't figure out who that guy was.  I guessed it was some relative, but I wasn't even sure who's ashes they were spreading.  I don't need everything spelled out, but I agree it would have been a more interesting story if we met him before.

I was starting to dislike Amelia. Now that Owen kissed her, I now really don't like her. Stop forcing everyone to pair with everyone. People can live alone and be independent and be happy. The GA writers need a lesson in this. 

It's also possible for someone to date/marry someone they do not work with.  Shocking concept, I know, but it does happen.  

I don't mind that we don't see the kids a lot because it's not that kind of show.  Dying people and hook ups don't really work in front of toddlers.  However, I think they should mention where the kids are when we see that both parents are off stealing coaches and sitting in bars and all that.  

• Love 2
Shonda needs all of the dads to seem in a better light than the moms. ISSUES

This is so true. The men have always been better with the kids. They also seem to hold the babies with more love and not just carry them as objects. I've bought Mark as a dad. Derek seemed brighter with kids. Hell, even Richard was a better fake father. Not sure why she can't do the same with the moms.

But like you said. Issues.

180 degree character changes. 

At this point, character continuity fairy is as reliable as Kanye West's ego rants. You rather not make sense of it because it doesn't.

You're right. She did do a 180 on the loneliness thing. That doesn't mean that it wasn't a much needed time out from life. But yes, she did coward out in not wanting to face her own responsibilities of her own marriage without any consideration to her kids or husband.

The worst part is that Derek will have to give in and make the compromises once again. 

• Love 2

To the people asking why Jackson would have been sent in for Ben's sister, it would be because they could get any endocrinologist to monitor and prescribe hormones, but Jackson is a plastic surgeon. There are procedures she could have before GRS, like shaving down the adam's apple (can't remember what its called right now), breast implants, surgery to soften the jaw/nose etc. All things which people get done while they live the year before their GRS surgery. Jackson was actually the right person to bring in since Seattle Grace Mercy Death doesn't have psychologists.

• Love 5

Rhimes said she was not throwing people together yet what we see on screen is not what she is saying. She pushed OA together and down our throats like there is no tomorrow.

We all know she is a big liar, but one has to admit she lies like she breathes, it´s natural for her.

Oh, boy, that Catherine is a b.....h to Richard. Why doesn´t Richard have any scenes with Maggie suddenly???

Just a question for you Greys fans - if you like a character (me -Owen, or at least what is left of him), how do you cope if he is paired up with sb you can´t stand? Do you have a recipe? Thanks. 

Edited by owenhuntfan
  • Love 1

Just a question for you Greys fans - if you like a character (me -Owen, or at least what is left of him), how do you cope if he is paired up with sb you can´t stand? Do you have a recipe? Thanks.

You just have to reach a level of acceptance. As an Arizona fan, until this season, I've had to accept that any SL Arizona would be a part of would somehow end up being all about Callie and how victimized she is in any given situation and that Arizona is the bad guy. Callie wants kids, Arizona doesn't. Arizona is an awful person who should bend for Callie. Arizona wins a prestigious grant, Callie is jealous and says she wouldn't accept it, therefore Arizona accepting it makes her an awful person. Arizona loses her leg. Everything about being a caretaker is hard for Callie, poor thing. Arizona should just get over losing her leg.

Just a vicious cycle of accepting if I wanted to see her, I would have to accept crumbs, and crap from people who don't like her. No big deal. In the grand scheme of it all, it's a TV show.

• Love 12