Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E15: Let Her Go

Like many others, I love Alaric and I'm glad he's back but I hate seeing him relegated to Jo's boyfriend and baby daddy. He is better as a secret kick ass vampire hunter. If this is all they're going to have him do, I wish we could have had a spinoff of Jeremy and Alaric on a permanent road trip hunting down vampires and kicking ass. Remember how awesome he was a few episodes ago when they got him away from Jo so that he could road trip with Stefan and Damon? That's the Alaric I want back! Plus I hope he doesn't get all cautious now that he's going to be a father (see: Diggle being relegated to the control room on Arrow since his daughter was born).

This! Could not agree more. Alaric's my favorite by a mile, but it just feels (as with other characters this season, most of them human plus one stalky vampire) that they haven't got a clue what to do with him. Since the "Alaric too OP" moment of turning him back into a human, he's really been relegated into being the support for other characters, rather than taking part in any main storyline himself. I've always found him one of the most 'real' characters on this show, as well as the most reliable source of common sense, and it's annoying not see more of him this season. 

I thought it was a good episode, until Caroline decided to repeat another story line - because she can't be with Stefan just yet (and there I thought they were going to allow a sweeter, more mature pairing). 

I loved the reunion, liked most of them acting like adults, and I love that Alaric gets to be a husband and father. Of course they will find a way to screw with it. 

Didn't he and Jeremy have an almost-bonding moment in season 1 over them both liking to draw?  During the Vicki drama?  Maybe Tyler could be the one that actually  goes to art school. 

As for Caroline and her emotions being shut off--the show emphasized in this episode a couple of times that Caroline has always been so in control of her vampire self.  Even Caroline did, in a slap/taunt at Elena when Elena was trying to talk her out of it.

It's possible they were setting us up to think "Calculating Ice Queen Caroline", intending she go the opposite.  Maybe her control is tied to her emotions--guilt, affection, insecurity, etc.  With that emotional motivation gone, so is her need to control, and she goes ripperish?

I've no clue if that's what they're actually doing or not, but it seemed like they emphasized Caroline's control too much if it's not a red herring.

They could do some interesting things if Caroline goes more ripper-esque  in the sense of further forming her relationship with Stefan... something else for them to sort of bond over as she comes to terms with whatever bad things she does while her switch is flipped...

But it really could go either way as far as over controlled... or feeding binges without caring who is killed or hurt etc.

I don't mind this story direction aside from the repetition of everyone else flipping thier switch at some point... so hopefully they do something fresh with it, since I do think it makes sense that Caroline would need a break from her grief and her shot at just turning it all off.

Before I saw the next episode's preview, I was convinced that that episode's storyline would be a countdown with everyone trying to find Caroline before she flips her switch, and that Stefan would in fact get to her before she did.

Now I'm hoping that they surprise us, maybe in one of two ways I can think of:

1. Caroline only thinks she flipped the switch, when really she just convinced herself she did. I mean, has it ever been explained how exactly one does that? Both Elena and Stefan were sire-compelled/normal-compelled and probably did it involuntarily, and Damon had been around long enough to have learned from someone how to do it by the 50s. I sincerely doubt anyone has explained the specifics to Caroline. It would be kind of tragicomical to see her act as if nothing bothers her, and then realizes she's simply been in denial. She's so in control maybe she could even trick herself?

2. Or, she does flip the switch, but in some way can actually see why life isn't better with it off. I would love for once to see someone objectively choose to feel humanity despite the pain they know is coming. Damon supposedly unflipped his switch before he came back to Mystic Falls* this time, I wonder why?

*Is it just me, or is something kind of strange there? I thought the whole thing with Damon was that he had his humanity switched off when the show started, and in season 2, Rose explained that the ability starts wearing off. But just last episode Damon said he was in Mystic Falls the night the Gilberts went over the bridge because he was there to lay flowers on his mothers grave, something he specifically said he only did at times when his switch was on. Inconsistent, writers. When Liz asked why Damon was in town, the answer was pretty easy: it was almost the time for Katherine to be freed. Sure it was several months away, but he's been mooning over her for a century and a half at that point -- the guy might have been impatient.

• Love 1

1. Caroline only thinks she flipped the switch, when really she just convinced herself she did. I mean, has it ever been explained how exactly one does that? Both Elena and Stefan were sire-compelled/normal-compelled and probably did it involuntarily,

Actually, Stefan did it at first right after turning. He went back to feed Damon this girl so he`d become a vampire, too, and raved all about this great new thing he discovered he could do. So I think it`s innate knowledge for a vampire. 

*Is it just me, or is something kind of strange there? I thought the whole thing with Damon was that he had his humanity switched off when the show started, and in season 2, Rose explained that the ability starts wearing off. But just last episode Damon said he was in Mystic Falls the night the Gilberts went over the bridge because he was there to lay flowers on his mothers grave, something he specifically said he only did at times when his switch was on.

It actually fixed the timeline a bit for me because Pilot!Damon obviously had his switch firmly off and was that way for a good while during Season 1 but that first encounter flashback with Elena we saw in the Season 3 Finale of that night wasn`t Season 1-Damon at all. He was downright nice and completely non-murderous. I get him being intrigued with the Katherine alikeness but that was switch-on-Damon for sure.

So I`d say he turned it off sometime between that night and revealing himself to Stefan again. Why, I have no idea.but I guess something could have happened.  

It actually fixed the timeline a bit for me because Pilot!Damon obviously had his switch firmly off and was that way for a good while during Season 1 but that first encounter flashback with Elena we saw in the Season 3 Finale of that night wasn`t Season 1-Damon at all. He was downright nice and completely non-murderous. I get him being intrigued with the Katherine alikeness but that was switch-on-Damon for sure.

So I`d say he turned it off sometime between that night and revealing himself to Stefan again. Why, I have no idea.but I guess something could have happened.

I agree with your timeline, and maybe this is a discussion for another thread, but then when in Season 1 did he flip it back on? The whole idea of the switch being flipped is still very vague and hard to follow. Did Damon's just gradually return? Was his never off? I can't recall this being addressed in canon.

I agree and hope we see something different, and possibly get some switch-related answers that make sense, from Caroline's decision.

Possibly because he was going to do his rescue Katherine plan?  Not that being ruthless is something feeling Damon has trouble with, but maybe he didn't want to take risks with having second thoughts about hurting any squishy humans or friend-types that got in his way of rescuing her?

I loved this episode. I've been sort of lukewarm on Stefan/Caroline but I thought PW really sold it during the funeral scene. You could see it dawning on him that he loves her, and I think he sees it's a more mature love than he had with either Katherine or Elena. This isn't necessarily the white hot fire of lust/obsession, but I think he sees it is something more enduring, better.

I also just couldn't have cared less about Bonnie, but this was the first time I found myself caring. That scene where she jumped on Damon was just beautiful. I felt so happy for Damon getting Bonnie back on the same day he buried his other friend. Really well done and well acted, I thought.

I don't even have the time of day for Jo/Alaric as much as I love Alaric independently (when he has purpose). That said, Kai remains made of win. I hope his parting "have a nice life" doesn't really mean he's gone. Better writers and showrunners would recognize what a gem they have in Kai/Chris. He is such a catalyst for these folks who would otherwise just be stuck as their high school/supervamp selves. More Kai, stat.

I agree with your timeline, and maybe this is a discussion for another thread, but then when in Season 1 did he flip it back on? The whole idea of the switch being flipped is still very vague and hard to follow. Did Damon's just gradually return? Was his never off? I can't recall this being addressed in canon.

I agree and hope we see something different, and possibly get some switch-related answers that make sense, from Caroline's decision.

I'd venture a guess that he turned it back on when Katherine told him she was never in love with him.  You could see on his face that it hurt him pretty deeply.  Maybe moreso the night he kissed Katherine thinking it was Elena?  I'm not sure if you can pinpoint an exact time when he flipped it back on.  So it seems to me your first suggestion was more correct, it just gradually returned.  I don't remember any episode where Elena mentioned flipping hers back on either.  It seemed like it was a forgotten storyline to me, but maybe that's how it works.  It just gradually comes back and you have to flip it again.

Speaking of Damon (who I'll admit is my fave) I love his characters growth. Really I do. And I think a lot of the characters have really grown and changed this season, for the better...

...BUT, I do miss some of the bad ass vampirey things. It seems like there's been lots of talking and growing and character moments (again, great!) but I miss some of the violence. Our vamps seem to have been house trained a little too much for my taste.

Ymmv of course. I certainly don't want to go backward, or have the writers royally screw up character development (I'm looking at season five Damon), but they ARE vamps and supernatural beings,... Idk

I had the same thought. These last few episodes have given of some great character moments revolving around a very real and human death, but I like yourself want to get back to some of the supernatural elements of the show. 

Question regarding my boo thang Kai ? So does he have all of Jo's power are just a portion. I'll have to rewatch again to remember. 

I'm wondering if Jo's pregnancy will be a magical one and the twins will come much faster than a normal pregnancy.  Didn't miss Liv or Enzo one bit which means they'll be back soon enough. Speaking of Enzo, I had such high hopes that he would have been integrated much better with the cast, but i think its high time to put him out of his misery. 

That Bonnie/Damon moment just made me feel all good inside and I hope thats just the beginning of more awesome Bamon moments to come. what I'm scared of is that Bonnie will be a sacrifice yet again with this Mamma Salvatore story. Hope to be proven wrong though. 

Was I the only one hoping that Katherine was going to be revealed or is everyone here over that character lol 

Great episode. One of the bests of the season. I agree with the poster who said it felt like old TVD where so many things are going on and you don't even have time to process it. I missed that.

The beginning scene with the whole gang sleeping on the floor in support of Caroline touched my heart. Especially seeing Tyler there. Never did care about Forwood one way or the other, but it's nice that even though they aren't on the best of terms (did we ever see them make up?), he's still there for her at this difficult time like this. 

Although I initially hated that they were doing the humanity thing with Caroline (they don't even bother pretending they haven't run out of ideas, do they?), I've grown to accept it and anticipate what's in store for her character. Caroline's speech at the end hit so close to home. Great acting from Candice.

That Bamon hug was adorable. It was just super, super cute. The only time I've ever found Damon tolerable is with Bonnie.

Finally, I loved Stefan's "love epiphany" and what he said about having something with Caroline that could be greater than than the messed up, doppelganger, "love at first sight" stuff he's had with Katherine and Elena. It's pretty much exactly the way I've been feeling as I've watched Caroline and Stefan's little romance unfold. He's never fallen in love slowly, over time, and I think that's why it took him so long to realize what was happening. Because it was so unlike any type of love he's felt before. One based on friendship and support and just enjoying being around one another, not seeing someone for the first time and feeling like you "have" to know them. I'm just really, really satisfied with what they've done with Steroline. And at this point, especially considering that Stefan flat out said that what he feels for Caroline could be "even better" than his past loves, I think it's very likely that they're endgame and that's exciting to me. 

• Love 1

I'd venture a guess that he turned it back on when Katherine told him she was never in love with him.  You could see on his face that it hurt him pretty deeply.  Maybe moreso the night he kissed Katherine thinking it was Elena?  I'm not sure if you can pinpoint an exact time when he flipped it back on.  So it seems to me your first suggestion was more correct, it just gradually returned.  I don't remember any episode where Elena mentioned flipping hers back on either.  It seemed like it was a forgotten storyline to me, but maybe that's how it works.  It just gradually comes back and you have to flip it again.

Taking this to the Damon thread.

I wouldn't have said any of this back in Season One, but I wish this was the last season.  I like Stefan/Caroline.  I wish Elena had moved on after she had her memories of Damon erased, and Damon/Elena had not reunited.  When Bonnie returned, Damon was single, and when Bonnie hugged Damon, he kissed her, and it faded to black.

Caroline talked about wanting to flip her switch, but she didn't actually do it yet, right?  Maybe I'm just naive, but I'm holding out hope that she ends up not doing it.  As others have said, the flipped switch has been done to death & is just too predictable.

Was anyone else surprised (sorry if this has been mentioned) that Klaus didn't send Caroline flowers?  I figured they would write that in there somewhere.

For a moment, when Caroline walked into the house and saw the flowers on the table, I thought it might be addressed. Hell, he could have sent some from the beautiful werewolf wedding they just had over on TO!

But in retrospect I doubt we’ll see any mention of the pair this season.

I loved the pairing (I know all the criticism against them but I like their chemistry and if I have to put up with all the outlandish things on this show that makes no sense, I get to keep “Klaroline” as a guilty pleasure! lol), so I’m always happy to see some inkling of a mention but from what I have read from TPTB it ain’t happening.

• Love 1

I didn't see the episode yet, but from this comment it looks like the writers forgot that Caroline, while a vampire, lost her dad.

They did not really mention it but I don't think that event takes away from this one.  Her father dies after abandoning her, coming back to torture her, and sort of coming around.  While she may have forgiven him for everything he did- that emotional connection was nowhere near the relationship she had with her mother. Sometimes the loss of one parent does effect a person more than the other, but it is not because they don't love the each parent.  Plus, after her dad dies she still has her mom, who is Caroline's anchor.  I am cautiously curious about where they are going with the (predictable and well worn) switch-flip.  At the very least it will Candice some different stuff to work with.  She has been knocking out of the park lately but I imagine it has to be exhausting.

While I hate the Gemini story line (aside from Kai- he is fantastic), I did laugh when Jo was basically STFU to Alaric at the initial proposal.

So happy Bonnie is back.  Let's hope the writers remember she is here now!

• Love 1

I really hate Caroline's impulsiveness!  Couldn't she have waited until after the funeral to ask Stefan about his feelings for her?  And I hate Stefan's hesitancy in telling Caroline that he's in love with her.  Now I really hope this couple gets together so Caroline can teach Stefan to be more spontaneous and follow his heart and Stefan can teach her to slow down and think about things clearly before making major decisions.

I think Caroline's going to be a really funny humanity-switched-off vampire.  I'm anxious to see how this plays out.

Love the scenes of teenage Damon and little Stefan talking together.  Stefan was even a serious little kid since then, eh?  I like Damon acting all big brotherly and not an asshole to Little Stefan.  Damon was very young and vulnerable and this was before the truly hard edges set in.  It was an interesting side to see of the older Salvatore brother.

Bonnie's back!  Yay!  Love the hug she gave Damon and the look of joy on both their faces!  I'm glad Bonnie can come back and kick Kai's ass!

I'm happy that Alaric and Jo are engaged.  Alaric and Jo, I think, had both given up on love when they met each other.  I want to see a nice wedding in TVD.  The wedding will probably end in some sort of bloodshed and magic, but I still look forward to it.  How funny that it was asshole, reformed psychopath Kai that told Jo that she is pregnant?

It was a very enjoyable episode.  I can't wait to see how freakin' crazy Caroline is going to be and if Stefan can switch back her humanity before it's too late.

For a moment, when Caroline walked into the house and saw the flowers on the table, I thought it might be addressed. Hell, he could have sent some from the beautiful werewolf wedding they just had over on TO!

But in retrospect I doubt we’ll see any mention of the pair this season.

I loved the pairing (I know all the criticism against them but I like their chemistry and if I have to put up with all the outlandish things on this show that makes no sense, I get to keep “Klaroline” as a guilty pleasure! lol), so I’m always happy to see some inkling of a mention but from what I have read from TPTB it ain’t happening.

I thought when she walked in there would be a moment.  Ugh...hopeful dreaming.

I loved Klaroline.  I think they really used us shippers to get viewers that last season of TVD when the Originals were still on it.  Not OK.

Love the scenes of teenage Damon and little Stefan talking together.  Stefan was even a serious little kid since then, eh?  I like Damon acting all big brotherly and not an asshole to Little Stefan.  Damon was very young and vulnerable and this was before the truly hard edges set in.  It was an interesting side to see of the older Salvatore brother.

Speaking of young Stefan, nice casting job, I thought that boy definitely looked like he could be a young PW.

• Love 1

So are Matt, Tyler, Bonnie, Alaric, and Jo along with maybe Jeremy going to be the new MF council when vampires Damon, Stefan, Caroline and Elena hit the road so no one will notice they aren't aging since all the other council/family members have been killed off?

Am I the only one thinking that maybe Katherine was sucked into a magic universe as well? Kai did mention that there are several ones. Could this mean she could be back sometime in the future?

I am so excited about this that I signed up just to share! (obviously a week late but I just saw the episode)

• Love 4

It is probably possible, though she'd probably have to be a Traveler now, rather than a vampire. I wonder if she'd be more moral now and outraged or ashamed at what she'd done throughout her life.

I was also impressed with casting, and I guess it's believable that Stefan would have aged more from 10 to 17 than Damon would have over those same years, being older already. But it was still a little jarring to see.

Elena for the win, am I right? I was glad she was a friend to her friends this episode. Can we have her back, please? This episode reminded me why I loved her in season 1, especially in comparison with Lana Lang.

It would be awesome to have her back anyway.

I really like how they handled her whole transition to human last season, it was the only good thing about season 5.

If she's a traveler now it means that she's gonna have to inhabit someone's body right? When she "died" last season and jumped into Elena, she only still looked like herself because she jumped into her doppleganger. So I guess if they bring her back now it will have to be with a new actress. It could work, they really pulled off the New!Rebecca on The Originals. 

Difficult to say, they're never as clear as they should be with what happens to people's bodies after death on this show. Even when they're annihilated, coming back seems to grant a new body on occasion, so it's possible we could have Nina playing her.

Also, welcome!

Difficult to say, they're never as clear as they should be with what happens to people's bodies after death on this show. Even when they're annihilated, coming back seems to grant a new body on occasion, so it's possible we could have Nina playing her.

Also, welcome!

Thanks! Sorry I just saw this while checking The Originals thread