Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Harry

Tara Ariano

I didn't believe my friend when they said they were watching a show called "The Slap." I thought they were talking about a knockoff of ABC's Whipeout or something. So I turned this on 20 minutes into the episode just to see if it was a real thing.

Oh good god. How did they get good actors to agree to do this? Why did NBC agree to make this into a miniseries? (Please tell me it's only a miniseries.) I couldn't tell if it was trying to be a super serious drama or a tongue-in-cheek black comedy. I didn't see the first episode so apparently I missed the infamous "slap," but from what I could tell in this episode, the brat deserved it. And once the cheesy narration randomly came on at the end of the episode, wow. I don't think I've laughed harder at anything all week. And that's including two episodes of Parks & Rec.

Oh, and totally called the kid starting a fight in the gym. I'm an awful person because I definitely cheered when it happened.

Overall, had a great laugh. Won't be tuning in again, though.

I flipped channels and just watched a few minutes. The narration still bugs the hell out of me. Is he supposed to be reading from the book? For some reason it's just so offputting to my ears. Anyway, I won't be watching anymore. I just read recaps and save the hour for something else.

• Love 1

Holy wow. do you think the actors knew what a piece of shit this was when they were filming it? The only way to watch is as an unintentional comedy.

Every character is a complete cliche. Of course Quinto is abusive to his wife. Why wouldn't he be? Of course he pressures his kid and is secretly proud that he beat up the other kid. And of course he's cheating.

Other highlights:

Hippie lady freaks out like the unstable freak she is. Quinto freaks out like the unstable freak he is. "You're the bad man who hit me!" Peter S. moping around. Mark Ruffalo lookalike's outburst in court. The police get right up in everybody's business over a slapping. 

What was there not to love? The script and acting is just SO terrible. 

Somebody should get slapped every episode. It could turn into a drinking game.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 4

I enjoyed this episode. I kind of like how real it all feels. It almost feels like a reenactment of sorts. Some of Harry's lines were...yeah. But this episode made me kind of like and loathe him. Harry's not an unintelligent man; it's hard to say he's even a bad guy. He's just impulsive. And a cheater. But Harry seems like the kind of who gets things done. And usually gets what he wants.

I didn't like him grabbing his wife like that, buuuuuuut...she was kind of fucking with him. My guess is that wasn't the first time, and boo, you know how he is. He doesn't have the right to put his hands on you in any circumstance, but you were being cagey going behind his back and telling Hector he talked to an attorney, and being passive-aggressive when you know you have a reactionary, impulsive husband is just asking for trouble. My thing is, if you're gonna stay with him, you need to learn to play him better than that.

I saw that fight with Rocco coming from a mile away. The kid was being a douche, but...never underestimate what a boy will do to please his father.

Gary and Rosie...ugh. First of all, where the fuck do they live? Anthropologie? GTFO here with your broke ass chair. I didn't expect them to be amendable to Harry, but Rosie is crazy. You're breast-feeding a five year old in front of company, and you're gonna accuse someone of being an abuser and you expect them to handle it well? Girl bye.

And for real, y'all. What was up with Hugo's hair? He looked like damn Phoebe Cates. They need to hope they don't go to court because if a jury sees Hugo looking like Rosie Perez in White Men Can't Jump they're gonna lose. Instead of keeping Hugo on the tit, they need to get him to a GreatClips. Damn boy looks like Theresa from Passions...

• Love 15

I really wanted to like this show because I think the premise is really interesting - a family member slaps the child of one of your friends, and chaos ensues.  So much potential to examine different parenting theories, as well as family issues like is the village involved in disciplining kids or is each kid under the sole authority of his parents.  In my family, one sister and husband expect that siblings and grandparents will correct their children when needed (but not by hitting!), while another sister goes ballistic if anyone even tells her son to sit in his dinner chair.  I thought there was a lot to explore there, with the extended family that seems to be all up in each other's business with no boundaries compared to the hippy dippy over indulgent parents.  

But so far I'm pretty disappointed.  I think my biggest problem is that they've made Harry and Hugo (and Hugo's parents) totally terrible people.  This is such a better story if they each are rootable in some ways and awful in others.  Like maybe Harry is a great husband and/ or feels real remorse but can't seem to get the apology right, or even thinks he was justified, or Hugo's parents know that he doesn't always behave well but aren't sure what to do about it, or Hugo is shown to be kind or fun or something on occasion.  Instead, everyone is absolutely awful, and I want Hugo to get hit again by someone, anyone, and for his parents to get slapped with neglect charges or something, and for Harry to be convicted.  There's no "gray area" here - they all just 100% suck.  And I think that's a shame.

• Love 6

Harry is so messed up, but at least he acknowledged his role in Rocco's fight.  Harry clearly has issues with anger, and him cheating on his wife is foul.  First Hector, now Harry.  Is the grandpa cheating on grandma, too?  

Now this trial has gone from a misunderstanding to a massive shitstorm because Harry has a personal vendetta against Hugo's parents now.  It's just a problem on all levels.  These people wouldn't have been socially interacting before the birthday party, but now they're being forced to, in the worst of circumstances.

But as flawed as he is, I'll take Harry over Rosie and Gary any day.  Harry seems like an actual human being while Rosie and Gary are two-dimensional dimwits who have no business being parents.  Their behavior with Hugo is just as damaging as the slap itself.  Gary only interacts with Hugo when necessary and Rosie just whips out the boob in lieu of actual parenting.  I feel bad for Hugo, because that kid doesn't stand a chance with his peers (or their parents).  He's aggressive, bratty, and violent, and his parents just enable his behavior.

Don't care at all about Hector or his midlife crisis fling.  It's boring and it's been done before.

• Love 9

I hope the original version in AU was better...why does everything US does seem so awful, when they try to remake these shows? Wish they would just show us the original versions.

I can't stand watching this, even though I am so far, because the family with the brat just makes me want to vomit. That kid so deserved being slugged, not just slapped. Anyway those "hippie" Brooklyn parents give me cramps.

My favorite is Connie, the teenager, so far. Though what she sees in what's his name is the real mystery.

• Love 2

I'm going to end up watching this whole silly thing just waiting for the judge to tell Rosie that she is the one who has messed up Hugo for life by arresting his development in infancy and by having raving hysterics in front of him over every little thing.

Whoever thought that narration was a good idea should definitely be slapped.

ETA: I'm sorry to disagree with you about Connie, Bebecat, but that schlumping around, fingers-in-mouth attitude she has makes me think maybe she was raised by Rosie and breast fed till four.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 3

I just marathoned the Australian version of this show and it was AH-MAZING! I see why they thought they could make it work in the states. It's very interesting and good and I was obsessed with finishing it. Do yourselves a favor and get thee to Netflix and just binge watch it over the weekend. The guy who plays Hector (a LaPaglia brother...you'll see what I mean) is so sexy and you can see why things play out the way they do with him. (Peter Sarsgaard plays Hector like a sad sack. Waah waaaaah.) It has an interesting twist and I'm interested to see how they do it in this version.

• Love 2

I am hoping that making us think the title of the show is based on a premiere-episode incident is just a red herring, and instead "The Slap" they're referring to is the one the rest of the cast gets to line up and give Rosie one-by-one in the series finale.

Really, a show that has me rooting for a classist, abusive, neanderthal philanderer is... not being done well.

Also, holy hell! WHAT is that accent Melissa George is attempting??!

Edited by gesundheit
  • Love 4

This episode really made me want an alternate universe version (which would need a different title) in which Harry doesn't get there in time and one of the other kids, probably Rocco, takes a bat hit to the head. 

I'm still in. I feel like I know a few of these people in real life, so maybe that's humanizing them a little, and/or the acting is good enough to do that. I thought Quinto's resigned "I know" to the basketball coach was a nice moment, not overplayed. I'll watch to the end, I am sure.  

• Love 2

I agree with you Swellcat, except for the hotness of the LaPaglia brother.

I think the Hector character is an an immature, self-centered, man boy in both versions. The AU version made him sort of an elevated version of a male Judd Apatow character. But, I do think the permanent hound dog face I get from Peter Sarsgaard in the US version is worse though.

I am hoping that making us think the title of the show is based on a premiere-episode incident is just a red herring, and instead "The Slap" they're referring to is the one the rest of the cast gets to line up and give Rosie one-by-one in the series finale.

Really, a show that has me rooting for a classist, abusive, neanderthal philanderer is... not being done well.

Also, holy hell! WHAT is that accent Melissa George is attempting??!

I'm not rooting for that disgusting Neanderthal at all.  And if he touches is wife again, I hope he gets arrested for that too.  He's gross.  His house is beautiful though.  Does anyone know where that would be located?

If Melissa George is the woman playing the boy's mother, her accent is weird, almost like a speech impediment. 

• Love 2

If Melissa George is the woman playing the boy's mother, her accent is weird, almost like a speech impediment. 

Yes, that's her, the one playing Rosie. She's Australian and I guess she's going for a Brooklyn accent, but it's awful. And I don't remember it being like that in the first episode!

She had a recurring role on The Good Wife last year; I think that's just her American accent.  It's terrible.  

During the scene at Rosie and Gary's house I was so distracted thinking about the child actor playing Hugo having to pretend to breast feed that I could barely follow anything else.  Seems kind of gross to me to make five year old do that.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5
Seems kind of gross to make five year old do that to me.

The kid is seven, will be eight in June. Bad TV is one thing, but I was pretty bugged by the moral ickiness of having the kid doing those scenes. IMDB bio doesn't include his age, but it links to his father's bio, which includes his birth date. Dad's bio here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0774721/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm  (I suppose the kid is inculcated in some sort of family philosophy where it's not a strange thing, or why would parents or cast and crew be ok with it, but it's definitely distracting.)

Edited by akr
  • Love 2

I thought Harry was mostly awful but had a surprisingly mature moment when he told his son after the basketball fight that maybe he isn't the best role model. I was expecting a "let's go out for ice cream and don't tell your mom".

We also found out Connie is still in high school, which makes Hector even more gross. If she wants to avoid him, she should have quit babysitting, not the clinic.

I can think off the top of my head of desperate housewives and game of thrones having scenes with a kid around that age breastfeeding. So I suppose there's some accepted way they do it. But I was wondering how, seems like it would be weird and confusing for the kid.

Edited by LeGrandElephant

I can think off the top of my head of desperate housewives and game of thrones having scenes with a kid around that age breastfeeding.

Desperate Housewives? None of the kids on that show were breastfed at that age. The one time we did see a kid that age being breastfed, it wasn't one of kids of the lead characters, and that whole episode's subplot was based on weaning him off the tittie milk and onto processed chocolate milk. Game of Thrones is probably not the best reference when it comes to raising kids/families...

This show is such bullshit (as is the Aussie original it was based on), and the characters so wretched, your list shouldn't be who deserved to be slapped, it should be who deserves to have an atomic bomb shoved up their ass.

Edited by AndySmith

Right, exactly, that kid on desperate housewives. We were talking about the process of *filming* it, doesn't matter if it's a main character or not, they still definitely filmed a child actor around that age pretending to breastfeed.

And again, game of thrones - not talking about morality in the show, talking about the filming process with the child actor.

I think some of these scenes have shown enough that I've wondered if they had the kid sucking on a rubber boob. Others just have their face held close in a lap. For the scenes that show more, I just wonder how exactly they film it - seems like even a fake nipple would be weird and confusing for a kid that age.

Edited by LeGrandElephant
  • Love 3

Why on earth are any of these people friends with Melissa George's character? She's terrible, and is raising her kid to be terrible.  So stop inviting her and her awful family to your birthday parties!  When Uma Thurman's character refused to take sides, all I could think was, "Why wouldn't you jump at the chance to get that horrible woman and her brat out of your life?"

• Love 4

So in the world of 'The Slap', hitting a chair with your foot and slamming a tabletop is an attack.  Really ?  And how trumped up is that charge ? Sure, Harry was threatening via his actions, but the chair broke no where near anyone, let alone Rosie and Hugo.  This matter should be in small claims court looking for compensation for the chair.

So, is the family of the kid that Rocco attacked also going to sue Harry ?  Because that was an actual attack.

Is Harry going to sue the school for ejecting Rocco from the basketball team ?

Is Harry's wife going to sue Harry for grabbing her ?

Is Harry's employee going to sue Harry for sexual harassment after he plied her with liquor and banged her ?

Why on earth are any of these people friends with Melissa George's character? She's terrible, and is raising her kid to be terrible.

Terrible is being kind when describing Rosie (Melissa George's character).  All I could think of during that apology scene was that episode of Seinfeld when James Spader's character was going through the 12 Step program and wouldn't say the words "I'm sorry" to George for stretching his turtleneck sweater.

Harry apologized, but then she forced him to actually say "I'm sorry".  To Hugo.  I'm surprised she didn't go off on him about how he didn't say it sincerely enough.  And once he did say it sincerely enough to her satisfaction, she would have declined the apology because he didn't follow it up by begging for forgiveness while on his knees. And then after begging for forgiveness properly, Rosie would decline the apology and the begging of forgiveness because there wasn't enough groveling by Harry towards Hugo. And so on and so forth.  Harry was in a no-win situation, and I bet they use the apology in court as evidence that he was guilty -- and he should get the electric chair for slapping their child (at least in Rosie's mind that is the equitable solution here).

This show is terrible (well, not Rosie terrible).  The narration makes it sound like someone interviewed all the participant's and wrote a book about it after the fact -- and that's what the narrator is reading.  Shades of the Princess Bride -- and at the end of the final episode we will have a scene of an adult Hugo reading this book to his grandson as a bedtime story (because of the inevitable happy ending).  </sarcasm>

• Love 1

So in the world of 'The Slap', hitting a chair with your foot and slamming a tabletop is an attack.  Really ?

In the hysterical world of Rosie and Gary, yes it is. If Harry had shown up without Hector they would have accused him of a home invasion or attempted murder. And I don't think the show is exaggerating at all; I've known parents like this and much worse.

Regarding the breastfeeding scenes, they seem much more discreet than the Australian version. I only watched the first episode of that, but there was a scene where the camera actually filmed Melissa George's nipple and the child sucking on it. Maybe it was a fake breast, but I couldn't tell. 

I find this show more interesting than the film version of "God of Carnage", a similar story. At least there's no vomiting. The narration doesn't offend me; it's not really adding anything though.

• Love 1

I thought Harry was mostly awful but had a surprisingly mature moment when he told his son after the basketball fight that maybe he isn't the best role model. I was expecting a "let's go out for ice cream and don't tell your mom".

We also found out Connie is still in high school, which makes Hector even more gross. If she wants to avoid him, she should have quit babysitting, not the clinic.

I can think off the top of my head of desperate housewives and game of thrones having scenes with a kid around that age breastfeeding. So I suppose there's some accepted way they do it. But I was wondering how, seems like it would be weird and confusing for the kid.

I don't think it so much about avoiding Hector, and more about feeling guilty having to see his wife everyday.

She did text him she missed him. So there it is.

Agree with those who say there is no one to root for. Harry Rosie and Gary all just horrible.

• Love 2

There really is no one here to root for, I was leaning toward Harry until he roughed up his wife, followed by steering his kid in the wrong direction and cheating.  Even his son realizes he's out of line, but will do anything to please him which seems to be out fear, not sure it is out of love.  Hugo and his parent are just plain nuts.  Rosie didn't want an apology, she wanted to humiliate Harry.  Part of their problem is that they are jealous of Harry's money.   She is just as awful as he is and her husband is a wimp who does whatever she tells him.  Don't think it was necessary to have him tell Hugo he was sorry, do they not see Hugo's part in this situation?  Is it just me or did Harry's lawyer not seem top notch?  Just thought he would have a more serious type to defend him.  

Edited by LucyEth
  • Love 3

I flipped channels and just watched a few minutes. The narration still bugs the hell out of me. Is he supposed to be reading from the book? For some reason it's just so offputting to my ears. 

Love the show still but so much this ^^. My husband and I both hate the narration. It totally takes away from the episode.

She had a recurring role on The Good Wife last year; I think that's just her American accent.  It's terrible.  

During the scene at Rosie and Gary's house I was so distracted thinking about the child actor playing Hugo having to pretend to breast feed that I could barely follow anything else.  Seems kind of gross to me to make five year old do that.  

I had the same thought.  Completely weird to have a child actor do that.   The parents are really warping their kid by treating him like an infant and not teaching him to live in the world with other people.  AND the adults in charge of the show might very well be warping the child actor by having him do those scenes.  

• Love 2

Oh please - I'm so tired of reading these posts that are anti-extended breastfeeding.  I just wish it would be portrayed better in media because in most countries around the world, extended breastfeeding is normal. I had high hopes for this show but the mom is portrayed as crazy and unstable. Very disappointed,

• Love 2
Oh please - I'm so tired of reading these posts that are anti-extended breastfeeding.

Well, my post and the one I referred to was not ANTI extended breastfeeding.  (people who know me would laugh at that idea about me)  What I posted against was the idea of a child actor being put in the situation where he is pretending to breastfeed by a woman who is not his real mother.   Breastfeeding is all about comfort and bonding, it's an intimate connection between mother and child.  Child actors are children first, actors second.  

I also think that  the mother in the show was using breastfeeding to comfort the child who was old enough to learn other ways to manage his emotions. Breastfeeding an infant or toddler when they are upset is fine.  when kids are preschool age, there's more to parenting than just breastfeeding.  The mom was shown to start nursing the kid when he was being naughty, when he was angry, frustrated, any upset at all, was being dealt with the same way.  He was throwing records around, pulling up flowers, not playing nicely with the other kids.   And when he didn't get his way, he cried, and mom nurses him.  THAT is poor parenting. it's not about breastfeeding, it's about what she, and the dad, were NOT doing - teaching him to respect people and property.  

• Love 12

I understand what you are saying, backformore, and I wasn't referring specifically to you (for the record). I just hate that the mom is portrayed that way. If the portrayal was more realistic, we would have been shown the child asking for nursing (most children will ask when they are upset) and therefore, she'd be shown to be responding to her child's needs. We'd also be shown more conversations with the child where his misbehavior would have been addressed and used as teaching moments. But all that is shown is her nursing, thus setting up her portrayal as someone who is using the nursing as a crutch. We are not shown enough of their parenting to even begin to judge them, but most people are going to judge away anyway. Also, maybe there is a psychological problem with this child that hasn't been diagnosed yet - autism, adhd, etc. Just because a child acts out is not an indication of bad parenting, but everyone will judge it as such.

• Love 1

This is an unpopular opinion, but I think Uma Thurman is just as homely as the rest of us. Plus, she always looks like she's got something in her mouth, and it's distracting.

The recap was amazing! That picture of Sarsgaard and the JAAAAAZZZ!! had me laughing for a solid minute. He's embracing 40, isn't he? (I'm 40; jazz sounds like noise to me.) I'm horrified that Connie is STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL.

Also horrifying: Hugo is FIVE. I would say that he (and his mother) is clearly going to have trouble when he starts school soon, but I'm betting he'll be "home-schooled" (as in, "experiencing life on his own timetable", not actually being schooled).

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5

I actually kind of like Harry. He is flawed, but he seems very aware of his flaws, and trying to do better. He knows he has a temper, for example, but he tries to control it, and he tried to talk to both Hugo and Rocco about the need to keep control of one's emotions when they start to get the better of you. I also fail to see where just grabbing someone's arm to stop them from doing something or walking away is abuse. He didn't seem to grab hard, no bruising or anything, just trying to get her attention and get her to listen to him. He was mad, but he didn't hit her, and he didn't seem to be trying to hurt her. I get tired of people acting like any kind of physical contact is abusive; that's simply too much.

I can't believe he got arrested off their complaint, and his lawyer totally misrepresented the chair thing. He should have said that Harry stood up abruptly and accidentally knocked the chair over, which is what I saw, and that when a civilized conversation went nowhere with these loonies, he walked away. Again, he got mad (but I would have too with the things they were saying) and he walked away, he didn't confront them, he didn't threaten them, he took the high road. So I still find Harry rootable, but also with a lot of flaws he's working on.

• Love 4

I also fail to see where just grabbing someone's arm to stop them from doing something or walking away is abuse. He didn't seem to grab hard, no bruising or anything, just trying to get her attention and get her to listen to him. He was mad, but he didn't hit her, and he didn't seem to be trying to hurt her. I get tired of people acting like any kind of physical contact is abusive; that's simply too much.

It is never okay to put your hands on another person in anger and that includes grabbing their arm.   The law calls it assault.      As far as Harry abusing his wife, I thought it was pretty clear that he has indeed hit her before just by the way she flinched and cowered when he grabbed her; it seemed like behavior she's seen before.

We know Harry has some major anger - violence issues just based on The Slap  so it's not surprising that's how he deals with the rest of his life as well.  Maybe it's the acting, maybe it's the writing but for me, Harry comes off as a violent bully in every relationship where he holds any power over the other person (employees, child, and wife) and unfortunately one dimensional.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 2

It is never okay to put your hands on another person in anger and that includes grabbing their arm. The law calls it assault. As far as Harry abusing his wife, I thought it was pretty clear that he has indeed hit her before just by the way she flinched and cowered when he grabbed her; it seemed like behavior she's seen before.

We know Harry has some major anger - violence issues just based on The Slap so it's not surprising that's how he deals with the rest of his life as well. Maybe it's the acting, maybe it's the writing but for me, Harry comes off as a violent bully in every relationship where he holds any power over the other person (employees, child, and wife) and unfortunately one dimensional.

This.

Can you imagine grabbing a co worker or stranger on the streets like that. "But, but... I was trying to get their attention." Hell no.

Harry grabbing his wife was ugly scary and abusive!

What did she even do, that he needed to get her face like that? She called his cousin who is like a brother to him. Tried to figure out how to fix this mess that Harry created. Harry is an ass.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 3

That was definitely abusive. And it seems to be a pattern. If it was the first time, she'd probably yank her arm away and say what are you doing instead of cowering in fear. He only stopped because their son walked in. I find it kind of disturbing that anyone could think that scene was an ok way to behave.

• Love 3

Right, exactly, that kid on desperate housewives. We were talking about the process of *filming* it, doesn't matter if it's a main character or not, they still definitely filmed a child actor around that age pretending to breastfeed.

And again, game of thrones - not talking about morality in the show, talking about the filming process with the child actor.

I think some of these scenes have shown enough that I've wondered if they had the kid sucking on a rubber boob. Others just have their face held close in a lap. For the scenes that show more, I just wonder how exactly they film it - seems like even a fake nipple would be weird and confusing for a kid that age.

In Game of Thrones, they filmed using a prosthetic breast.

Oh please - I'm so tired of reading these posts that are anti-extended breastfeeding.  I just wish it would be portrayed better in media because in most countries around the world, extended breastfeeding is normal. I had high hopes for this show but the mom is portrayed as crazy and unstable. Very disappointed,

I said in the first episode thread that I'm less bothered by breastfeeding at that age than by the way she was using it when he misbehaved.

I know its normal in a lot of parts of the world to breastfeed longer than we do here, but wouldn't that be till like age three, not age five? Five seems old even for developing countries. And having a child actor who was probably weaned before he can remember it pretend to breastfeed from some random woman is a whole separate issue from whether extended breastfeeding is ok in general.

In Game of Thrones, they filmed using a prosthetic breast.

Ah, that would have been my guess. Still seems a little weird for the kid, though. Think the child actor goes to school and tells the other little boys he sucked on some lady's pretend boob? I'm not necessarily saying they shouldn't be allowed to film that, just hoping they are on top of it with making sure the kid isn't bothered by it and has some discussions of when it is or is not appropriate in real life.

• Love 3

I just watched the Harry episode in the original version and the character is much more scary. He's got a simmering rage instead of the overtly angry Harry we are seeing in the US. He doesn't show the self-awareness in understanding that he actually has anger issues. Frankly so far I like the US version better.

I actually watched the episode again just to see if I noticed the thing about Uma having something in her mouth. It's true!

This whole series just seems very badly miscast, to me... except for Harry, who I find very believable and compelling if scary/ugly.

What really BAFFLES me the most, though, is the lawyer and his HAIR. WTF???

• Love 2

I understand what you are saying, backformore, and I wasn't referring specifically to you (for the record). I just hate that the mom is portrayed that way. If the portrayal was more realistic, we would have been shown the child asking for nursing (most children will ask when they are upset) and therefore, she'd be shown to be responding to her child's needs. We'd also be shown more conversations with the child where his misbehavior would have been addressed and used as teaching moments. But all that is shown is her nursing, thus setting up her portrayal as someone who is using the nursing as a crutch. We are not shown enough of their parenting to even begin to judge them, but most people are going to judge away anyway. Also, maybe there is a psychological problem with this child that hasn't been diagnosed yet - autism, adhd, etc. Just because a child acts out is not an indication of bad parenting, but everyone will judge it as such.

Why can't it be realistic that they are just shitty ineffective parents?  We've been shown enough to see that they are permissive and do not seem to discipline their son when he's being destructive and/or dangerous, to me that's enough to judge them.

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 7

I actually watched the episode again just to see if I noticed the thing about Uma having something in her mouth. It's true!

This whole series just seems very badly miscast, to me... except for Harry, who I find very believable and compelling if scary/ugly.

What really BAFFLES me the most, though, is the lawyer and his HAIR. WTF???

Lol yes! I just assume he has a bad coke problem. Can't bothered to wash or comb his hair.
  • Love 1

Why can't it be realistic that they are just shitty ineffective parents?  We've been shown enough to see that they are permissive and do not seem to discipline their son when he's being destructive and/or dangerous, to me that's enough to judge them.

Right.   Usually kids that age can handle a visit to someone's house, and they know not to destroy property, to take turns, follow rules, treat others with respect, etc.  If your kid is not capable of  being appropriate with others, then you WATCH him, supervise what he's doing, make sure he is being respectful of others.   These parents ignored the misbehavior, weren't close enough to their kid to step in when a problem erupted, and seemed content to let others at the party manage their kid.  Their kid was the one causing the problems.  he was the youngest, It seemed, playing baseball, and clearly was inexperienced with the concepts of sportsmanship and turn-taking.   His parents brought him to the party, then spent their time drinking and talking to the adults. 

That's the shitty parenting, which has nothing to do with extended breastfeeding. 

• Love 5

I guess I dn't understand raising a child so that he or she will not be capable of functioning in the world, the way it is. That kid is being taught that his wants and needs are all that matters. Good luck with that.

• Love 6

I missed the first episode, caught the second, and liked it.  Parts of it were way over the top -- especially Hugo's mother -- and if I hadn't encountered people like that on message boards, I wouldn't have believed it.  But now that she's been established as a wacko, maybe the writers will tone her down some.  Or maybe not -- either way, it makes for fun viewing.

Hector and Harry -- the names should be switched.  Quinto looks like he should be a Hector, and "hector" fits his overbearing personality. 

• Love 1