Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E06: The Gang Misses The Boat

• Start Topic

Of course Dennis' plan to get to the boat party was to literally drive after it. Though the water. The fact that Dennis tries to sell the still-submerged car to some poor saps? Perfection.

Man, this episode STARTED with a Winger speech, being self-aware at how the gang became weird and (more) delusional over the past 10 years, and they try (and fail) to change. Of course nothing is never THEIR fault, everyone's faults are blamed on the gang.

Dennis tries to be less angry and controlling, Mac finds the love of his life, a hooker that's into angel dust. And could never even get it up for her. Charlie and Dee start making Def poetry...but ended up banging. All of that just felt wrong, but in a good way. I think.

Frank's only change was trying to find his way into a new gang (to be just like the Old Gang) with his new hairpiece. Which was totally great.

The glorious return of Rum Ham!

I'm still in shock over the Dee and Charlie thing. When I realized what was going on, it had me yelling "No! NO! Oh my god!" at my television, which never happens when I watch comedies. I feel like I must have missed a meta reference somewhere with the repeated "Hollaback Girl" song playing. Why was 2006 so significant? Frank's introduction? And was the rum ham a reference to Mac and Frank not "missing the boat" in Jersey?

I'm a little disappointed with Dennis' progressive insanity. I was so sure that he would murder the guy looking for a car for his daughter, and we'd see him driving away in the guy's nice car, wearing his clothes. But maybe that was the Charlie and Dee thing still throwing me for a loop. I guess they all missed the boat of where their characterization could have taken them if Frank had arrived in season one, before they got set in their ways?

I know the show poked fun at it, but I don't buy that Charlie and Dee could normalize each other anyway. The last time they tried to eat a meal alone together, it was in a morgue with a hot plate. These alternate versions of the characters were interesting but I still feel like I didn't get the punchline. Funny as ever, though.

I can buy Dee and Charlie being functional people. Problem is, being functional scares them, so they have to go back to the Gang and pretend they never made out (at the very least).

I have a term for Dennis: "brociopath." He gets so up his own ass, it's amazing to watch. It's almost as bad as anything Frank does.

• Love 3

I'm still in shock over the Dee and Charlie thing. When I realized what was going on, it had me yelling "No! NO! Oh my god!" at my television, which never happens when I watch comedies.

I yelled "HOLY SHIT" so loudly I actually woke up my roommate.  Even worse, he watches the show too (he was waiting until tomorrow to watch the DVR) so I couldn't really explain why I was so shocked.

• Love 1

This was my favorite ep of the season so far. Watching Dennis try to control the rage is always creepy as hell (and when he self-acknowledged his talking to himself, I cringed a little, as I've done the same). Mac's mesh shirt had me wincing vicariously. How could a piece of clothing that horrific still exist? And then Dee and Charlie... I actually thought their Def Poetry Jam was pretty goddamned funny, and then as soon as they paused, I was literally kicking my legs in "oh god NOOOOO!!!!" Even though they actually don't make a bad pair, it was all squirm! Cringe! It's pretty disturbing that I was slightly less horrified by the idea of Dennis and Dee having masked Halloween sex than I was by this pairing. So good.

• Love 1

What I found funny about this episode was I had JUST watched the episode where Charlie and Dee thought they ate human meat and spend most of the episode together and had the thought of how they actually work pretty well together, away from the rest of the group.  They are both kind of the male/female outcasts and often play secondary or submissive roles to the plans of the others.  Thinking back at the times where its just the two of them (the time in the sewer on the way to the movie, the episode of the two of them playing the online game, there is one where Dee tries to live Charlie's life for a day or so), they are pretty funny and I actually would find them believable as a couple, if a bit odd together.  Then they show them this episode, and it was odd, just the two of them, but I think they would be the most beliavable to actually date, on the show.  (yes I know she is married to Rob in real life).  If either one of them were to actually end up with someone permanently, they would be each others best chances, I would put it that way. 

All the characters are too weird, selfish and unlikeable in general to date anyone outside the group. 

I too loved their Def Poetry.  So funny and a pretty good recreation of real Def Poetry

Edited by DrSpaceman

This episode could have served at the series finale and it would have been way satisfying.  The gang basically goes their separate ways then realized they need each other to exist in society.  

I love that the entire gang all realize that Mac is definitely gay...except for Mac.

I always figured it was a matter of time before Charlie and Dee hooked up.

• Love 1

I always figured it was a matter of time before Charlie and Dee hooked up.

*whispers* I've kind of always wanted them to, so I was disappointed that we didn't get to see the direct aftermath. Either it was so awful that they can never speak of it again, or...no, it was probably awful.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 1

I think this was like a precursor to the end of the series. I think by the end, they're going to go off the rails. Frank is probably going to survive and find a new gang. Mac is going to be a rent boy. It's been flat out canon by now. Dennis is going to snap and kill a bunch of people. It makes sense that Charlie and Dee end up reasonably ok. 

I'm still in shock over the Dee and Charlie thing. When I realized what was going on, it had me yelling "No! NO! Oh my god!" at my television, which never happens when I watch comedies.

Charlie Day and Kaitlin Olson did a great job selling the chemistry with that pause. Even though I would never have put those characters together, for that brief moment I went "oh, really?"  And then of course I realized what a terrible idea it is, as did they. But it worked.

Dennis needs another angle besides raging at people. It's funny when they can do subtle hints of psychosis with him, but I feel there's no other direction to go most of the time.  And seeing him rant at people, especially strangers, is just not as funny as what the other characters are bringing.

Yeah, I like Dee and Charlie together. So it was fun to see them go against each other. I think the others have too much influence over them so it was nice to see them have a bit of independence. Charlie did kiss Dee.

Dennis put on mascara Dennis put on mascara. Also when he talked to Dee's nurse and the hammer he would bring down totally reminded me of his bullshit against the guy.

I feel like 2006 was a flashback to when Danny Devito joined the show. Also Mac dancing with Frank at the club.

I finally ally caught this ep today. I laughed at Frank attempting to join another group as their schemer and schemer-subsidizer, although I noticed he also would tell people about his hijinxes without explaining who the participants were, just like the time he stole the tour boat.

• Love 2
(edited)

Mac's mesh shirt had me wincing vicariously. How could a piece of clothing that horrific still exist?

I assumed it was meant as part of the running 'everyone except Mac himself is aware that Mac is gay' joke. It looked like something out of a International Male catalog.

Edited by cheatincheetos

I don't like seeing too much progression with these characters. I like them the way they are, without much maturing or changing over the years. So I don't like the idea of Dee and Charlie together. A one time thing, sure, but not a relationship, and I don't want to see it happen again, unless it's done in a totally weird, uncomfortable, no strings attached way, maybe if they both accidentally took acid and thought they were doing something completely different. I guess I just don't want them to have feelings because the gang is too selfish and too narcissistic to have feelings and that's why we watch them.