Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E14: The Executioner's Song

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Robbie Berens and directed by Phil Sgricca. I have hopes it will be good.

He wrote Captives which was a mixed bag. But girls girls girls turned out better than I would have guessed. He also wrote heaven can't wait which again mixed bag. Alexia Anne Alex Anne which I didn't really like but many did. But I'm happy that Sgricca is directing because I usually find his work very interesting even if the scripts are not good. He directed some really great episodes and some not so great. But I think he knows how to really work with the actor to make something out of nothing. He directed Nightshifter so that gives him cache with me til the end of time.

Edited by catrox14

Robbie Berens and directed by Phil Sgricca. I have hopes it will be good.

He wrote Captives which was a mixed bag. But girls girls girls turned out better than I would have guessed. He also wrote heaven can't wait which again mixed bag. Alexia Anne Alex Anne which I didn't really like but many did. But I'm happy that Sgricca is directing because I usually find his work very interesting even if the scripts are not good. He directed some really great episodes and some not so great. But I think he knows how to really work with the actor to make something out of nothing. He directed Nightshifter so that gives him cache with me til the end of time.

Sgricca has some really good directing in some other shows.  I know I really liked him in a silly show called Hercules.  So I think this can be a good thing.  I just hope we can be as excited after it airs.  Is it time yet?????

• Love 1

My only thought thus far is the writers are making the same mistake with Crowley and his Mommy that they did with Bobby. Certain characters are good in small sporadic doses. Too much of them makes the a drain on the show and a turn-off for me as a viewer.

Well, this episode minus Crowley and Rowena was perfect.  It was everything I wanted in ways I didn't realize.  Jensen needs that godsdamn Emmy already.  The shift on Dean's face the second he touched the Blade was just fucking incredible.

I am not convinced that Cain is actually dead. We didn't see his cold dead body.  I think something else is going on.

And honest to gods.  Sammy finally really understands that Dean is in deep deep shit.  And Jared played the panic and sadness and worry perfectly in that final scene. 

I think I have a sickness. Watching Jensen literally driving Baby into that prison was weirdly hot. I can't explain it but damn, I need more of that. 

I just am going to hug this episode and cry because I am really really worried about Dean.

• Love 5

But I thought Cain would have the magic answer for Dean and the Mark!! 

Awesome episode.  I thought the Dean vs Cain fight scene was intense.  All the interactions between the characters tonight were intense, actually.

Except for the crap with Rowena.  I thought she could be somewhat entertaining but I found myself saying, "Shut up Rowena" everytime she talked tonight.  I agree with Happytobehere - small doses please!

The last scene with Dean and Sam - Dean's face when he left the room, Sam's face and teary eyes when he told Cas Dean was in trouble - perfection. 

• Love 3

So good. Minus Rowena. Can we be rid of her, please?

Everything else? Awesome. I wish they hadn't killed Cain off because he was a great character. But that whole scene with him and Dean was everything I wanted. I'm so glad they finally brought up the Cain/Abel, Sam/Dean parallel. I just hope Dean doesn't go running off again to keep Sam safe.

I loved, loved Dean just falling into Sam. Brotherssss.

Sammy's face at the end :(

Oh hey, hiatus. I don't like you.

• Love 4

Can someone please kill Rowena...so annoying. Between her and the damn Anvils falling all over the Crowley scene I've got a massive headache.

Otherwise this was a really good episode although I was sad to see Caine turn out like this. I'm glad we got confirmation (I'm taking it as fact) that Dean was a descendant of Caine...it was hinted at before but I don't remember if it was ever accepted as fact or just biblical hyperbole.

I feel like Cain isn't dead and that's why they didn't show Dean making the killing strike. Cain will pop up again with a chainsaw strapped onto his arm stump.

Groovy Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I feel like Cain isn't dead and that's why they didn't show Dean making the killing strike. Cain will pop up again with a chainsaw strapped onto his arm stump.

Yeah, didn't Dean reach for the angel blade or whatever that other knife he had on him was? I don't think he stabbed Cain with the First Blade (just based on how they were positioned).

The hand thing was hilarious. WTF, it wasn't even bleeding very much. I thought Cain was just going to pick the hand up and put it back on.

This episode was too angsty for me, I couldn't get into it. But maybe I'll watch it again at some point, because apparently the next new one isn't for another month?

Oh, one thing I really liked was Cain's hair. I want to know what product(s) he's using. Entirely serious.

• Love 1

Am I the only one who thought the writing, camerawork and music were all pretty terrible this episode? My roommate and I were laughing at points that should have been fairly serious as a result...

But I do adore Timothy Omundson. That hair is a character unto itself.

Jensen did an excellent job with the material given, and I was pretty impressed by Jared as well.

Kind of over Crowley, to be honest. If he leaves and comes back in like five episodes I think I'd be okay with him again.

• Love 3

This episode was too angsty for me, I couldn't get into it. But maybe I'll watch it again at some point, because apparently the next new one isn't for another month?

Oh I'm all about the angst, bout that angst , bout that angst....

• Love 3

Am I the only one who thought the writing, camerawork and music were all pretty terrible this episode? My roommate and I were laughing at points that should have been fairly serious as a result...

I noticed the weird camera work in the beginning with Sam and Dean in the impala. I don't think we've ever had a shot like that from the backseat before or at least one that went on for so long. It was odd.

I  loved the camerawork and the writing. I got a s2 and s4, in a good way vibes from the episode especially with the creepy graves and the Cas/Cain and Dean/Cain confrontation  I loved it. Take out the Crowley crap and it was perfect for me.

• Love 3

My only thought thus far is the writers are making the same mistake with Crowley and his Mommy that they did with Bobby. Certain characters are good in small sporadic doses. Too much of them makes the a drain on the show and a turn-off for me as a viewer.

My problem with Bobby wasn't seeing too much of him as much as it was that he said horrible things and did horrible things and we were supposed to support him because he was the voice of the writers. 

Crowley is far worse as a being than Bobby, and I do think he gets too much airtime, but I don't feel like he is their mouthpiece, or pet. 

I actually thought this episode used him quite well. He was exploited by Dean, for the first time ever, and we got to see him learn what that feels like. 

I didn't like the opening scene where Rowena was talking about how the guy had to be killed as a symbol (it went on too long), but I thought some of the later scenes, especially the last one with her, worked. She is a textbook abuser. We have rarely been able to see this as she's just running around with a funny accent, ha ha. Tonight they showed just what she was to Crowley when he was a child, and what she will be again now that he has finally realized he has absolutely no one.

• Love 2

I  loved the camerawork and the writing. I got a s2 and s4, in a good way vibes from the episode especially with the creepy graves and the Cas/Cain and Dean/Cain confrontation  I loved it. Take out the Crowley crap and it was perfect for me.

I agree. I actually thought it was serious, and treated difficult subject matter with proper respect, which I rarely feel with the show in many recent seasons.  

I was very pleased that we saw Dean motivated by a need to protect a child (an intrinsic part of Dean's character), instead of this being all about the mark. 

The scene with Cain and Cas in the graveyard was one of the few that remind me of Cas' weight as an entity, even if he clearly was not going to be a match for Cain.

The ending of the scene was a little shaky for me but other than that I thought the scene with Cain and Dean was absolutely wonderful, one of the best of any in all 10 seasons. I got chills when Cain called him "my son." I felt like Cain's first episode never properly built up the connection between Cain and Dean, the complex bond. We really, really got that here, in spades.

The scene of Dean standing over a kneeling Cain was one that will stay with me for a while. 

Jensen was wonderful (especially his shellshock post-fight), and Tim Omundson blew me away. One of the strongest performances I can remember on this show. Depth, strength, power, charisma, melancholy. Sheer, pure fire. And I've never been so happy to see an actor grow their hair out for a role, because it was absolutely fucking perfect for what Cain had become. It was a character all it's own. I've never seen anyone act with their hair until tonight. 

I've almost always liked Robert Berens episodes - I think he brings a sense of layering and humanity to the writing that was mostly lost after the first few seasons. And this was one of the best in a long time.

• Love 3

This Mark of Cain story has to be the most boring thing they've ever done. I think Cain could have made a great big bad and the actor is terrific. But of course that was not to be. So despite Cain being both master of the mark and the original human warrior for thousands of years, Dean could take him out in five minutes. And now we're still all about Dean. Who simply is not an interesting enough character to carry a story by himself. Jensen's one note acting does not help any. The dude has three facial expressions. It's also not helping that it's a given the show doesn't have the guts to make Dean evil. So the show will go round in circles for the rest of the season with everyone looking serious and worried before a solution is pulled out of thin air in the finale. This show has become a shadow of the intelligent horror show it once was.

• Love 2

So thinking more.  I wonder if Cain told Dean that in order for him to really truly kill Cain, he'd have to become a demon again.  Maybe he stabbed him anyway but to no avail.  I dunno. Just with this show if there is no body shown I don't believe the death sticks. 

Yeah, didn't Dean reach for the angel blade or whatever that other knife he had on him was? I don't think he stabbed Cain with the First Blade (just based on how they were positioned).

Dean cut off Cain's hand with Cain's regular ol' knife. Then he got the First Blade and moved like he was going to stab him from behind, but the blow wasn't shown, nor was Cain's supposedly dead body.

Edited by Tippi Blevins
  • Love 1

I thought it was a good enough episode but did the MOC`s endpoint really have to be killing Sam? Did they have to bring in the mundane Abel "twist"? Guess that was to be expected when Carver said he was doing personal stories but still, Dean finally has a mytharc and it still ain`t any grander ultimately than "Sam". Nothing big or global. Sigh.

• Love 1

I'm in mourning over the bromance. (Hey, stop judging me!) I was so thrilled to see Sam & Dean, Cas, & Crowley.  Of COURSE when the four work together they could take Cain down.  Seriously, they all had a role.  And the brothers just dismissed Crowley way to easily.  But somehow, Dean telling Crowley that he lied?  It wasn't necessary and it wasn't done with malice. It was almost as if he was trying to make Crowley see -- stay away from them.  

I'm terrified over the instructions Cain gave Dean:

- Crowely

- Cas

- Sam

I think Cain was actually giving Dean the answer. I believe he THINKS that's the answer and that he did come just to see Dean.  I also think he went down too easy.

First, I think Cain toyed with Dean. And I agreed, Dean was holding back trying to save himself.  I thought the "favor" was to kill Dean and turn him demon.  After Dean took his arm, however, I think Cain changed his mind.  I think Cain let Dean kill him.  He just knelt there and took the blow.  It was definitely the First Blade Dean was striking with, but it looked more like a blow right to where the spinal cord meets the skull.  That's a specific kind of execution but I can't remember what it is called.  

My first instinct is "no body, no death", but it could go either way. Abbadon didn't need to be chopped up after the blade took her.  Cain.. I just don't know.  

The Executioner's Song.  I'm really going to have to think on that title.  It was a very complex episode but fantastic.

Edited by SueB
  • Love 2

So despite Cain being both master of the mark and the original human warrior for thousands of years, Dean could take him out in five minutes.

If Cain is dead...which is a BIG IF IMO it was because Cain submitted to being executed. Dean got a bit lucky with lopping off Cain's hand but Cain is a demon and could have unleashed more on Dean if IMO he really wanted to.

• Love 1

Dean finally has a mytharc and it still ain`t any grander ultimately than "Sam". Nothing big or global. Sigh.

I don't think it's any more about Sam than Sam's mytharc in the first 4-5 seasons was about Dean. I will admit I'm not all that into a regurgitation of "will brother kill brother" either, but I'm hoping this will ultimately be about Dean continuing to refuse to be what people say he's supposed to be, and instead being what he wants to be. I feel like that's been the theme the last few seasons.

• Love 1

Yeah, at one point they had the faux!orchestral music blasting to try and wring some extra emotion out of a scene in the bunker that was already going on too long, and I just couldn't. Once I'm focusing on the background music, the scene is obviously not working anymore (at least for me).

I think that scene was the one where they find out that Cain is killing everybody, even kids, and figure out where he'll be next -- but Sam doesn't want Dean to go confront him? That made no sense to me. Uh, who else should be confronting Cain? Or are they just going to let him run around slaughtering people? Were they just going to curl up on the couch knowing he's out there murdering some twelve-year-old? It was strange.

As was all the weirdness over Sam's supposed true crime "hobby." What does that "hobby" mean when they constantly scour news and research old crimes and stuff for their actual job? And why was Dean finding it so strange that he'd know about criminals or crimes? Idk, it just didn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm being dense.

I didn't like the opening scene where Rowena was talking about how the guy had to be killed as a symbol (it went on too long), but I thought some of the later scenes, especially the last one with her, worked. She is a textbook abuser. We have rarely been able to see this as she's just running around with a funny accent, ha ha. Tonight they showed just what she was to Crowley when he was a child, and what she will be again now that he has finally realized he has absolutely no one.

I actually liked Rowena tonight, because she was the only person with any brains and who wasn't drowning in sentimentalism. I liked how she turned on a dime with Crowley when he confronted her, and just took another route of charming him. I also liked how she made that big show of saying he was worthless and she was leaving him, to knock him even more off-kilter.

It didn't bother me earlier and it doesn't bother me now that Crowley knows what she's doing but it's still working on him. Imo that's how parents work, they made all the buttons they're trying to press. So obviously they're going to be fucking amazing at pressing them. :P

Crowley was irritating me overall, though. Why would he care about Dean lying to him about being on the list? Of course Dean would that it was in Crowley's interest to give him the Blade. What else would he say? And why did he let Dean just hand over the FB to Cas so easily? Crowley's such a sad sack.

First, I think Cain toyed with Dean. And I agreed, Dean was holding back trying to save himself.  I thought the "favor" was to kill Dean and turn him demon.  After Dean took his arm, however, I think Cain changed his mind.  I think Cain let Dean kill him.

The idea of Cain toying with Dean like that, and pretending to take mercy on him, makes me think of Dean and Cole, when they had that confrontation at the bar (when Dean was still a demon). I think that was Reichenbach?

I thought it was a good enough episode but did the MOC`s endpoint really have to be killing Sam? Did they have to bring in the mundane Abel "twist"? Guess that was to be expected when Carver said he was doing personal stories but still, Dean finally has a mytharc and it still ain`t any grander ultimately than "Sam". Nothing big or global. Sigh.

I don't think it's that surprising that the Abel parallel was going to come out in the wash.  And I'm not yet willing to give up that Dean's mytharc is not grand. Not yet.  It's lasted a lot longer than I ever thought they would do. Since they have another season there might be more for Dean.  I do think the rest of the season is going to be Sam going super dark side to save Dean if he can. 

• Love 1

I think that scene was the one where they find out that Cain is killing everybody, even kids, and figure out where he'll be next -- but Sam doesn't want Dean to go confront him? That made no sense to me. Uh, who else should be confronting Cain? Or are they just going to let him run around slaughtering people? Were they just going to curl up on the couch knowing he's out there murdering some twelve-year-old? It was strange.

I think Sam just didn't know what would happen to Dean - he trusts Dean, but he knows Dean has lost control before. Anything could have happened. He may have also just wanted to protect Dean until they might have had a better plan. 

Crowley was irritating me overall, though. Why would he care about Dean lying to him about being on the list? Of course Dean would that it was in Crowley's interest to give him the Blade. What else would he say? And why did he let Dean just hand over the FB to Cas so easily? Crowley's such a sad sack.

Beyond his delusion that Dean ever cared about him, it's also the likelihood that this is one of the few times anyone has ever manipulated him or betrayed him. That's usually his role. I know Castiel did (another person/being Crowly doesn't like to let go...), but that's about it. 

He probably knew there was no way he'd be able to stop both Dean and Cas (that and he was in shock).

• Love 2

I think Sam just didn't know what would happen to Dean - he trusts Dean, but he knows Dean has lost control before. Anything could have happened. He may have also just wanted to protect Dean until they might have had a better plan. 

I also think Sam is worried that he might have to take out Dean if things went south. I legitimately think Sam is terrified for Dean this season. I think when Dean died and came back a demon, Sam had an actual wakeup call that he might be lost without Dean.  But it wouldn't be Sam if he didn't do a little moralizing. :) (said with love and affection).

• Love 3

On first watch, I liked it.  It did surprise me.  It had weak spots but I felt the tension in the 2nd half.  Crowley worked but Mommy Dearest...please disappear. 

I don't know I kind of thought that Dean leaving to go sleep it off was a misdirect and wondered if Sam figured it out.

Now if Dean didn't kill Cain and he shows back up again...I'd be cool with that.  I really liked Cain.  I also thought the fight with Dean and Cain worked in the sense that it was more emotional than physical.  Dean really trying not to follow through and asking for another way. 

The beginning had some weak spots but I did like that Sam and Dean haven't been at each other's throats and working together.  I will have to rewatch to see if I can figure out what they are up to with Cain.  I'd rather they didn't go with the repeat of Dean has to kill his brother...but it didn't disappoint me like I was really afraid it would.

Also it is about time Crowley had a taste of his own medicine.  He always has a motive to try to get the upper hand but to have it turned on him so badly, in a sick way is warped fun. 

I'm glad at least Cas could try to fight a bit and not be just on the sidelines watching.

• Love 1

I also think Sam is worried that he might have to take out Dean if things went south. I legitimately think Sam is terrified for Dean this season. I think when Dean died and came back a demon, Sam had an actual wakeup call that he might be lost without Dean.  But it wouldn't be Sam if he didn't do a little moralizing. :) (said with love and affection).

So they were just going to hang out at the bunker while Cain killed a child? How did Sam think that was an acceptable plan?

Not that anyone was making plans in this episode, which is part of what was killing me. Apparently, Crowley's plan was for Dean to just hand the First Blade back again (WHY WOULD HE). Crowley was blindsided by Dean's one-step plan to say it was in Crowley's best interest for Dean to have the Blade. The plan for the showdown between Dean and Cain was apparently more or less for them to just fight mano-a-mano. While all these superbeings stood around and waited. Even Crowley stood around and waited, even though he had to have figured that if Cain were the one to come out of that fight, he'd be attacked ASAP (since he apparently really believed he was on Cain's hit list). And apparently, the big plan for if Dean was the one to leave the barn not-entirely-normal (how were they gong to be able to tell? what if he's a demon now? they didn't even test him) was for Sam to execute him somehow?

Idk, not to be nit-pick-y. There seemed to be so much feeling/angst and so little thinking/planning going on, that this episode felt really sodden to me. YMMV.

• Love 1

I've been watching a couple of episode for the first time since the beginning of season 6. I cannot believe they're still trying to sell us on the "oh no will Dean/Sam die/go crazy" theme. Not until the last episode of next season, unless you get season 12. Or unless Padalecki and Ackles just play Sam and Dean's ghosts already.

In other news, I've only seen Timothy Odmunson in Psych before this. Who knew his hair was so fabulous? I'm jealous.

I'd imagine if they could have had more Cain, they would have. The actor is very busy.

I'm really glad to hear that. I was afraid after Psych he wouldn't get much, not because I thought he was bad or anything, but just because acting's a rough business.

Has Crowley had the "not moose" label for Dean on his phone for a long time? That was pretty funny.

I think for the first time in a long time Dean's welfare trumps anything else for Sam even a 12 year old. Right or wrong.

Crowley and Cas don't have the power that Cain has , so them standing down worked for me. I think Lucifer himself and God are the only beings other than Dean who can kill Cain.

ETA: I really enjoyed the score for this episode in general.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

So they were just going to hang out at the bunker while Cain killed a child? How did Sam think that was an acceptable plan?

Not that anyone was making plans in this episode, which is part of what was killing me. Apparently, Crowley's plan was for Dean to just hand the First Blade back again (WHY WOULD HE). Crowley was blindsided by Dean's one-step plan to say it was in Crowley's best interest for Dean to have the Blade. The plan for the showdown between Dean and Cain was apparently more or less for them to just fight mano-a-mano. While all these superbeings stood around and waited. Even Crowley stood around and waited, even though he had to have figured that if Cain were the one to come out of that fight, he'd be attacked ASAP (since he apparently really believed he was on Cain's hit list). And apparently, the big plan for if Dean was the one to leave the barn not-entirely-normal (how were they gong to be able to tell? what if he's a demon now? they didn't even test him) was for Sam to execute him somehow?

I don't think Sam planned to just let Cain kill the child, but I think he wasn't sure what options they had. Dean getting involved, taking the main role, was a huge tossup. 

The plan for demon Dean - Cas was there, Sam was probably just hoping he and Cas (or he Cas and Crowley) could take care of it. 

I would imagine Crowley probably knew if Cain was that eager to kill him, he'd find him and kill him anywhere once Dean was out of the way. Standing around or fleeing - same ending.

I don't think Crowley had a logical belief that Dean would give the blade back. I think Crowley had an emotional weakness for Dean, as he did at the end of last season and the start of this season. He still wanted Dean to be on his side. Now he knows that will never happen.

• Love 1

I don't think Sam planned to just let Cain kill the child, but I think he wasn't sure what options they had. Dean getting involved, taking the main role, was a huge tossup. 

The plan for demon Dean - Cas was there, Sam was probably just hoping he and Cas (or he Cas and Crowley) could take care of it. 

I would imagine Crowley probably knew if Cain was that eager to kill him, he'd find him and kill him anywhere once Dean was out of the way. Standing around or fleeing - same ending.

I don't think Crowley had a logical belief that Dean would give the blade back. I think Crowley had an emotional weakness for Dean, as he did at the end of last season and the start of this season. He still wanted Dean to be on his side. Now he knows that will never happen.

I think this betrayal of Crowley is going to send Crowley on a vengeance scheme. He's never been outmaneuvered like that before that I can recall except maybe the Leviathan thing.

• Love 1

As was all the weirdness over Sam's supposed true crime "hobby." What does that "hobby" mean when they constantly scour news and research old crimes and stuff for their actual job? And why was Dean finding it so strange that he'd know about criminals or crimes? Idk, it just didn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm being dense.

I took that as Dean teasing him and wanting to annoy him in a big brother way, not him genuinely being confused or disgusted.

I took that as Dean teasing him and wanting to annoy him in a big brother way, not him genuinely being confused or disgusted.

Either that or Dean was thinking about his own kills like when he was a demon or wiping out the nest of rapists. 

I'm really glad to hear that. I was afraid after Psych he wouldn't get much, not because I thought he was bad or anything, but just because acting's a rough business.

He was recently on Galavant, the musical comedy on ABC. I wasn't all that thrilled with it but you may enjoy it.

Do you post on the GH board? I used to read/post there, more at TWOP than now.

• Love 1

I know I'm repeating what others have said but...

LOVE Jensen Ackles.  Holy crap, that face when he was going up the steps to meet Cain?   And when he stabbed him?  It is not fair that that boy doesn’t have all the awards.  

LOVE Timothy Omundson and his fabulous hair and, no offense to Dean, was hoping throughout the fight he would live to come back again.  And since this is Supernatural maybe he will.

Thank you, Sam, for finally hugging your poor brother after ignoring my pleas to do so for years.

Dean was so awesome I didn't even get bored by Rowena and Crowley’s B plot this time and was happy she read him the riot act for being a lame king of hell.

I feel like watching the fight scene all over again.

• Love 6

Dean's face when he touched the Blade and was going to the fight was this amazing and creepy mix of happiness and I dunno ....power....and it was so different than Dean's fear before he touched the blade.  And I know I go on and on about demon!Dean (the irony!) but I swear I thought there was some not giving a fuck demon!Dean peeking out.  (I know I know....)

• Love 1

I think this betrayal of Crowley is going to send Crowley on a vengeance scheme. He's never been outmaneuvered like that before that I can recall except maybe the Leviathan thing.

There was very minimal maneuvering on Dean's part. Dean said it would be worth Crowley's while to give him the Blade, even though it wasn't particularly, and then he didn't give the Blade back. Which of course Dean wouldn't, because there is literally NO reason why he would give it back. Even within this specific episode, Rowena outmaneuvered Crowley more than that.

Dean pretending to hand the Blade over to Crowley but giving it to Cas instead, and Crowley looking all sick about that, was one of those moments that were obviously supposed to be serious but that made me laugh.

Isn't the point of the entire Rowena storyline to underline (an infinite number of times) that Crowley has looooooong known that nobody is on his side or trustworthy?

How is this centuries old demon just now struggling with existential loneliness, or disillusioned by people's selfishness and untrustworthiness? And, to make that even sillier, he's apparently feeling lonely and becoming disillusioned as a consequence of something as piddly as Dean fooling him in order to get/keep the Blade?

The idea of Crowley being this naive doesn't make sense to me, to the point that I have honestly trouble following his SLs with Dean.

The whole idea of researching true crime being a hobby to someone whose profession involves researching monsters through newspaper/crime reports makes no sense. What's the difference between that hobby and his actual job?

• Love 2

JP's hair:TO's hair = Dean:Cain -- totally outmatched. Whether or not he comes back, Cain clearly let Dean "win".

Jensen and Jared both did great in that last scene. They each liked wrecked, in completely different ways.

But seriously, I watched all of Psych and all of Galavant. I'm no stranger to TO, but tonight I did more girl-fanning over him and his hair than I did over Jensen, which is new for me. (No, not fangirling, girl-fanning. Think about it. ;-) ) Definitely going to have to try for more coherent thoughts on rewatch.

• Love 3

How is this centuries old demon just now struggling with existential loneliness, or disillusioned by people's selfishness and untrustworthiness? And, to make that even sillier, he's apparently feeling lonely and becoming disillusioned as a consequence of something as piddly as Dean fooling him in order to get/keep the Blade?

The idea of Crowley being this naive doesn't make sense to me, to the point that I have honestly trouble following his SLs with Dean.

I don't think he's just struggling with it - he was like this with Cas too, in season 6, but I think the human blood addiction made it worse for Crowley. He never got it entirely out of his system. 

The whole idea of researching true crime being a hobby to someone whose profession involves researching monsters through newspaper/crime reports makes no sense. What's the difference between that hobby and his actual job?

The job is about learning what you need to know for a case. Knowing random trivia-type stuff about murders or crimes would be more of a hobby. I think Dean knew Sam followed this stuff just to be thorough, but was teasing him because that's what Dean tends to do.

• Love 1

But seriously, I watched all of Psych and all of Galavant. I'm no stranger to TO, but tonight I did more girl-fanning over him and his hair than I did over Jensen, which is new for me. (No, not fangirling, girl-fanning. Think about it. ;-) ) Definitely going to have to try for more coherent thoughts on rewatch.

I really liked him on Psych and Deadwood and found him handsome (with blue eyes that women want to do cannonballs into) but never particularly hot.  But tonight?  Hoo boy.  I don't know if it was the hair or the bad-assness or a combination of both but I will take more of that version of Timothy Omundson please.

• Love 3

I think Timothy Odmundson is probably the most talented guest star they've ever had on the show.  He had a huge range of emotions he had to pull off, and he did so flawlessly.  Maybe they didn't show the death blow just on the off chance he might be available to come back again sometime.  (Although probably not.)

I figure Rowena's scornful dismissal of Crowley combined with Dean's 'betrayal' will be what kicks Crowley back into bad guy mode.  About time something did.  

Jensen did his usual incredibly great job, but I've got to say I'm getting a little tired of him being the big damn hero who always has to go up against the big bad guy alone.  Abaddon, Metatron, Cain . . . It's just been too many in a row.  I guess it was progress that he didn't lie to Sam or knock him out this time.  I did like his honesty with Sam - this whole season he's really been making an effort not to shut him out.

Things that confused me:

- Dean wanting to go save the kid and Sam acting like he'd rather not; then Dean wanting to dangle the kid as bait while Sam protested.  Crowley brought along the magic spell, so until he showed up I think Dean was seriously planning to hang the kid out there.

- Dean telling Sam, Castiel and Crowley that no matter what came out of that barn at the end of the fight, they were to take it out, along with the unspoken goodbyes and Sam's sad expression.  Yet when he came out, that was apparently completely forgotten about by everybody including him.  

- Sam telling Castiel that Dean is in trouble, even though he was sitting there at the table apparently able to carry on a coherent conversation without any difficulty.  I know they showed him being completely shell-shocked immediately after the fight, but I didn't really understand why he would have been, at least to that degree.  Physically beat up, yes; but why mentally?  And why was he practically begging Cain not to make him kill him?   Cain had been slaughtering people regardless of whether they deserved it, and it wasn't like he and Dean had ever had time to become best buddies.

I don't think Sam has a story this year other than to be there for his brother.  We're already past the halfway mark and there's no sign that he's going to go dark in order to save Dean.  Mostly he is there for conversation, to look concerned when Dean gets upset or rubs his arm, and to pretend to be FBI or police or whatever to gather info.  And even though Sam has always been my favorite, I'm just so damned glad they aren't shoe-horning him into horrifically out-of-character behaviors to make the story lines work, I don't really care that he isn't really important or essential to the story.

• Love 6

- Sam telling Castiel that Dean is in trouble, even though he was sitting there at the table apparently able to carry on a coherent conversation without any difficulty.  I know they showed him being completely shell-shocked immediately after the fight, but I didn't really understand why he would have been, at least to that degree.  Physically beat up, yes; but why mentally?  And why was he practically begging Cain not to make him kill him?   Cain had been slaughtering people regardless of whether they deserved it, and it wasn't like he and Dean had ever had time to become best buddies.

I was under the impression that Dean believed that if he killed Cain he would turn full-on evil and was looking for a way out.  Not because he wanted to save Cain, but because he wanted to save himself.

• Love 3