Type keyword(s) to search

Previous Seasons Talk

• Start Topic

Nowhere else to post this: we were watching last night's episode of Girls, and there's a scene where the main character, Hannah, tells off five different people in a room, one by one, and then leaves.

My significant other, who only tolerates my RPDR addiction, turned to me and said, "The library is CLOSED".

• Love 7

So I was watching Season 2 reruns over this past week....

1. Tyra's makeup was busted the vast majority of the time

2. She recycled her wigs more frequently than any queen I can remember

3. Merle REALLY said out of Tyra, Juju, and Raven that Tyra was the most intelligent one....

The whole season was so freaking weird.

Oh, and Pandora's outfits were just as ugly on review.

• Love 9
So I was watching Season 2 reruns over this past week....

1. Tyra's makeup was busted the vast majority of the time

2. She recycled her wigs more frequently than any queen I can remember

3. Merle REALLY said out of Tyra, Juju, and Raven that Tyra was the most intelligent one....

The whole season was so freaking weird.

Oh, and Pandora's outfits were just as ugly on review.

Season 2 is just bizarre to me as well.  I can't even watch it because of that God awful Tyra (quite possibly my least favorite queen of all time) IDK, plus the sets & the Untucked lounge just seem kinda low rent to me compared to later seasons like 5 & 6.  Oh Pandora, I love her despite everything.  I guess compared to queens like Raja & well pretty much everyone her outfits are kinda meh but she's like my first love, the first queen I really, really cheered for--I just can't get over her =)

• Love 2

Season 2 was fine to me as what it was: A amateurs season focused on young people, many of them fairly new to professional drag, competing or being pleasant human beings. I can't really compare it to any other seasons because no other season really focused on the young crowd in the same way(well besides season 6, but the young queens were mostly the cannon fodder there).

Season 3 is the one that gets me more, since it's much more professional than season 2 but the quality is so low, with only Rajah and Manilla really showing out and all the personalities are so unpleasant.

Both are fairly weak overall compared to later seasons.

• Love 3
Season 2 truly sucked with the worst winner ever ( what was Rupaul thinking?). I still can't figure out why people like Jujubee and Raven so much as well??

Judging in seasons 1 and 2 seemed to focus a lot more on the runway look than in later seasons (which is the only thing that can explain Tyra - maybe...)

Sofar as Raven is concerned - I only warmed up to her with her stint on Drag U.  Her personality was pretty heinous on RPDR - although I did like a lot of her looks.  I've always liked Jujubee (black velvet if you please...)

• Love 3

Jujubee's Black Velvet remains one of my favorite lipsynchs on this show. Jujubee remains one of my favorite queens on the show--she was charismatic, funny, determined, personable, vulnerable. Other than Alaska (my other favorite), I can't think of anyone who demonstrated all of these qualities.

I was ambivalent about Raven, but I think she developed tons between Season 2 and All-Stars. She showed up to All-Stars with a killer fashion sense that was second (that season) only to Manila. And although she's not in the same league as some of the others, I think she's pretty damn funny.

• Love 2

Alaska wuz robbed!  I've been watching the old seasons and just finished Season 5. I definitely think had they left out the fan vote, Alaska would have won. 

Apparently Jinxx worked her online presence while the show was on, but ON THE SHOW she was a successful, but sad queen with nike marks for cheek contour. 

• Love 1

I liked Jinxx and think she deserved that win, she would have blown Alaska out lip sync IMO.

Alaska really should have been cast in season 3 , (she would have won that), that season was so unfunny, they needed someone like her.

• Love 1

I liked Jinxx and think she deserved that win, she would have blown Alaska out lip sync IMO.

Alaska really should have been cast in season 3 , (she would have won that), that season was so unfunny, they needed someone like her.

It's a preference thing. She blew Detox out of the water, but in the final group lipsync I was no parts impressed by her.

Also, I just really dislike her face, so I know it's a personal thing.

• Love 1

I preferred Jujubee for Season 2. Really, when it came down to it, I figured the final two should have been Raven and Juju because I felt either one of them had more to offer than Tyra.

Generally, though, it tends to come down to a top three where I really like two of them and really don't like the third. Season one was Bebe, Nina and Rebecca Glasscock. I mean... Rebecca Glasscock?! I still have no idea how she wound up there. She was a seriously mediocre queen in every way. At least Tyra, come season 2, could pull it OUT on the runway. Season three was Raja, Manila and Alexis and I didn't much care for Alexis. Season four we had Sharon, Chad and Phi Phi. Phi Phi was another I couldn't quite accept in the final three. The last wins she had weren't all that impressive to me and I didn't get why she was there. I hate to go for the 'editorial' excuse for that matter. (Oo! The network loves DRAMA!) Weak, Season five we had Jinx, Alaska and Roxy... and while Roxy was certainly able to pull it out and perform when I certainly didn't expect her to, by the time she had become so vile that I just wanted her GONE. Last year was the only time I didn't actively dislike one of the final three though Bianca was so far and above the others that anyone else winning would have been a travesty.

I'm rather interested in seeing if the final three trend (for me) continues this coming season.

• Love 8

Season 2 truly sucked with the worst winner ever ( what was Rupaul thinking?). I still can't figure out why people like Jujubee and Raven so much as well?? 

I can't understand the Raven love, but Jujubee just grates. She is NOT funny, her outfits are ho hum and not she does not give good mouth. Bleck. The thing I remember most about Tyra Sanchez is that she hot glued lace to her skin! It gives me the shivers. 

• Love 2

I think the winners of all seasons had some weakness - except Bebe (S1) & Chad (All Stars)

Tyra (the other Tyra) has no personality, but killed the runway.

Raja had a sense of style like no other queen (b4 or since) but was weak in performances that weren't live.

Sharon could sometimes be too crude.

Jinkx had poor styling, but what readings and comedic timing.

i didn't see S6.

And yeah. .. I'm still pissed Ru thought Rebecca Glasscock vogued better than Shannel!

• Love 2

Season 6 Bianca:  her weakness was simply she had no range on the runway.  Wore the same look (and same hair and makeup) over & over & over & over.......*yawn*

It was something I glanced over while the season was going on, but she truly NEVER changed her silhouette. The only time she changed her makeup was during her Tiger/Animal runway and she was everything.

• Love 2

The only time she changed her makeup was during her Tiger/Animal runway and she was everything

True!  It's not that she doesn't know how to beat her mug; I think it's just that is simply part of her Bianca schtik *shrug*.  Her strengths lie in her mind.  Home gurl is smart as a whip and for that all else was pretty much forgiven in my eyes.  That was always my problem with beauty/fashion queens like Tyra and Raja.  They were gorgeous but ho-hum to flat out boring in the performance challenges.  I would rather have a quick witted queen who has a good solid look if a little tiresome after awhile than a queen who is fashion forward but has no range anywhere else.

• Love 9

True!  It's not that she doesn't know how to beat her mug; I think it's just that is simply part of her Bianca schtik *shrug*.  Her strengths lie in her mind.  Home gurl is smart as a whip and for that all else was pretty much forgiven in my eyes.  That was always my problem with beauty/fashion queens like Tyra and Raja.  They were gorgeous but ho-hum to flat out boring in the performance challenges.  I would rather have a quick witted queen who has a good solid look if a little tiresome after awhile than a queen who is fashion forward but has no range anywhere else.

What I really have wanted for a while now is a challenge where the girls have to make over each other.

It would have done Bianca so much good to have had a trashy young Adore look, or a glam fish Courtney look, or even a painted down Darienne look, if only just to get her out of her Clown Realness.

• Love 3

What I really have wanted for a while now is a challenge where the girls have to make over each other.

I remember during season 1 one of the mini challenges was the queens paired up in 2s and beat each other mugs.  It was fun & I wish they would do it again.

It would have done Bianca so much good to have had a trashy young Adore look, or a glam fish Courtney look, or even a painted down Darienne look, if only just to get her out of her Clown Realness.

Yeah it would have been fun to see her in something, SOMETHING, different but dang if she hasn't stuck to her guns and done the exact same look.  Remember the Ru runway look where they had to dress up like RuPaul?  Bianca waltzed her butt down the runway in a Bianca look.  What surprises me is that she wasn't read for it!  In past seasons the judges would have read a queen to FILTH for that stunt but IDK, it just wasn't mentioned or at least it wasn't shown on t.v.

Season 6 Bianca:  her weakness was simply she had no range on the runway.  Wore the same look (and same hair and makeup) over & over & over & over.......*yawn*

Yeah, but I wouldn't mind one of her handmade dresses. I love a ballet neck.

• Love 2

I remember during season 1 one of the mini challenges was the queens paired up in 2s and beat each other mugs.  It was fun & I wish they would do it again.

Yeah it would have been fun to see her in something, SOMETHING, different but dang if she hasn't stuck to her guns and done the exact same look.  Remember the Ru runway look where they had to dress up like RuPaul?  Bianca waltzed her butt down the runway in a Bianca look.  What surprises me is that she wasn't read for it!  In past seasons the judges would have read a queen to FILTH for that stunt but IDK, it just wasn't mentioned or at least it wasn't shown on t.v.

I'm watching it now on the DVR. She didn't even wear a blonde wig!

Also, Milk totally should have done Genderfuck 80s RuPaul and not horrible bald cap Workroom Ru.

• Love 3

Just remembered another reason I can't stand Raven while watching season 5 marathon . She was rooting for Roxxy in season 3, calling her everything a drag queen should be. Gag!

Watching season 6 LSFYL Darienne & Ben "Point of No Return"

Ru kept Ben because she liked Ben, because Darienne KILLED that performance. Had all eyes on her, was the cause of all the smiles and laughs. KILLED.

• Love 1

That one was weird all around to me, since it seemed both clear to me that Courtney and Joslyn bombed the challenge far worse than Ben/Darienne but that Ben barely even phoned in the lip sync. But then season 6 in general while a entertaining season, is probably the most obvious with the level to which the show is producer, not performance, driven.

• Love 1

I posted something in the "S07.E14: Grand Finale" thread that got me thinking:

Adore [played in Season 6] a lovable, eager-to-please puppy. The editing monkeys made me love Adore—and she came back playing the same role this episode. ("Yes ma'am, Pam! No ma'am, Pam. [beat] Who's Pam?")

How have the queens evolved post-RPDR? Just looking at the eight who returned for the Season 7 finale, Alaska does an icy "not Anna Wintour" character. Sharon had plastic surgery and dropped the macabre esthetic. Jinkx is a "real actress."

Don't ever change, Latrice Royale!

• Love 2

I guess maybe discuss the Ruvealed run here?

So, after the whole trans controversay around Season 6, and them dropping "You've got She-Mail!" going forward from that, I found it very interesting that the most recent Ruvealed episode -- the all lip-synch episode in Season 5 -- also dropped the minichallenge footage, undoubtedly because one of the songs they lip-synch to was the "T***** Chaser" song.  Recently, I bought that episode on iTunes, and it was intact.  I wonder if it's also been altered now to match the Ruvealed footage, and what this means for that entire episode in Season 2, when the main challenge was doing a stripper routine to that song over and over and over.  It's very interesting to see such a recent show be edited down. 

• Love 1

I've been doing housework and rewarding myself for chores compeleted with short breaks on Youtube. I've fallen down a rabbit hole of Danny Noriega videos. Some early Adore Delano, more Angel Baby and a few other characters. Some just Danny answering questions sent to him. All really fun. He has one long video with two of his gay cousins answering questions that is especially fun. "When a chola calls" is a fun Angel Baby one.

Anyway, I'm getting things done and just catching up with Adore before she was Adore.

I'm watching the marathon, season 2 is on now. It's sad to see Sahara now, knowing she's since passed on. And of course, I loved Manila on her season and know that's what Sahara's hat meant. Seeing the queens exlude Tyra seems like foreshadowing of her twittering people to commit suicide and having no one in her lines at drag con. I wonder what's wrong with her, and if therapy would help.

Anyway, I'm really happy about a chance to record the whole show. The first All Stars are part of the marathon, but not Drag U or Untucked it looks like. I'm so ready for season 8!

Hey Locas! I'm so excited for season 8! I'm enjoying the marathon, and decided to see what was up on the boards. One thing I've meant to comment on is folks perceptions of Raja. It seems most think Raja was just a fashion Queen, but not great in performance, and in some cases was dull. I so disagree! I have always found her funny and insightful, and considering having to put up with Shangela on her season, quite tolerant and tactful! I thought she did great in performances, with the exceptions of the Life, Liberty, and pursuit of Style episode, and Jocks in Frocks (although seriously, she was part of what will always be one of the greatest Lip Syncs for your life ever!), and sorry (not sorry), her runway walks were just the best!

Just my 2 cents, but during the marathon, they had a segment where Raja talks about throwing tantrums behind the scenes when the cameras weren't around on season 3...it's pretty amusing!

• Love 1

Oh god, this marathon is making being productive absolutely impossible.  You'd think I didn't know every episode by heart already.

That said, I hadn't seen all of the casting specials, so it's fun to see queens who finally made it later on -- Alaska, of course, but also Jade Masters, Katya, Dax!, and so on. 

Considering how much Alaska has gotten used since her season, and referenced through her "hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii," I've always wondered if Ru secretly wished she'd picked Alaska for the winner instead of Jinx.

• Love 1

Season 3 was when I first started watching.  I was rooting for Raja, although Manila would have been an entirely acceptable winner.  Season 4 had so many memorable queens -- Latrice, Willam, Sharon, Chad -- but it also had Phi Phi.  It's entirely understandable why she's such an insecure little pit bull, but that doesn't make me want to watch her lunge at people's throats.

• Love 1

When I tell you I am getting nothing done this weekend. I went out Friday, crashed on the couch to watch this, Went out yesterday, did the same thing. And Im not going out today, because Season 6 soon come and I can't miss it lol.

• Love 2

I've been thinking hard about how I'd rank the seasons, and while I can't quite decide on an order, I find it interesting that Season 6 is truly one of my favorites, and Season 7 is my least favorite.  Also, Raja is one of my favorite winners, yet Season 3 is definitely lower on my ranking list than some others.

• Love 2

After watching season 6 again, I stand by my opinion that Darienne smoked the hell out of De La in their first lipsync. There was no reason *performance wise* to keep both of them.  As tragic as I found LaGanja, I would have keep her when she got eliminated, just off the strength of the awesomeness that was the synchronized splits, IF we're doing Shantay you both stay's.

• Love 2

I have but one hope* for Season 8, and that's to see John Waters again.  The most wonderful judge and challenge ever, and they were wasted on Season 7.

*I lie.  I have many hopes for Season 8.  Or at least dreams and wishes.

Not a huge Sharon fan anymore (sadly- she reminds me of the little kid who will say anything for attention) but for those posters talking about her face in last episode of season 7, I give you:   

I am absolutely gagging over how beautiful she looks here. There was a period of time where she was getting scary looking (and not in the way she lives for), but I am loving this look from around February of this year (It can't take that long to produce these episodes can it?) Nothing of importance, just showing how GLAM Sharon is looking.

Edited by Granimal
  • Love 1

Considering how much Alaska has gotten used since her season, and referenced through her "hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii," I've always wondered if Ru secretly wished she'd picked Alaska for the winner instead of Jinx.

Jinx's season was a fan picked winner, and at least from what i've seen it's not a terrible big secret that most of the Drag Race alumni were backing Roxxxy or Alaska and Jinx is probably the most contentious of the winners. Which kind of surprises me given some of the other winners.

I'm 99% positive that Dave from Season 5's Super Troopers (Jinkx's vet) is on Wheel of Fortune right now.

I was just going to post this! That is definitely him. He looks great. I'm glad his health seems excellent!

• Love 2