Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Which Way to Sleepy Hollow?

You all aren't the only ones at a loss. I cried for over an hour. My close friends and family know how much I love Prince. My daughter called to check up on me. My bestie called from work because her my godson heard the news and her someone should check up on me.

Prince always gave me the chills. Getting to actually see him perform live was experience.

We have lost some greats this year man.

• Love 5

So we are advanced enough to put Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill, but FOX still thinks it is okay to kill off the black female lead so save her white male partner? There's something seriously wrong with this scenario.

• Love 1

Guys, this month sucks so much. I just started feeling less mopey about the Sleepy Hollow finale, and then Prince died. I'm all up in my feelings right now.

I was a teen in the 80s, so Purple Rain was the soundtrack to my life. It was the first album I bought with my own money. Prince was sexy and dangerous, and so immensely talented.

I'm just going through all the tributes (or trying to do that, without crying). There's the cast of The Color Purple doing Purple Rain during their encore, which is beautiful.

Also, there's Mumford and Sons doing an amazing version of Nothing Compares 2 U as their opening song, complete with purple lighting.

Going through his own performances, how do you choose just one? The Superbowl show was out of this world.

I don't know if this is true or not, but this is being said:

“When Eric Clapton was asked how it felt to be the world’s best guitarist he replied: ‘I don’t know. Ask Prince.’"

• Love 4

My oldest daughter passed away two years ago. The first thing I did when I heard that Prince had passed away was call my youngest daughter to tell her. I asked her if she knew what her older sister is doing right now, and she said getting ready to go see Prince in concert. I said yep. My baby loved herself some Prince, now she will be able to see him all the time.

• Love 5

So we are advanced enough to put Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill, but FOX still thinks it is okay to kill off the black female lead so save her white male partner? There's something seriously wrong with this scenario.

Ms Tubman was a serious BAMF,  She escaped slavery and went back to free hundreds of slaves through the Underground Railroad.  Moreover, she was the first woman to command a Navy raid, during which she saved 700 more slaves. She totally deserves to be on the $20, and I'm glad they moved up the re-design date.

I wonder now who they'll put on the $10, which is already due for a re-design.

As I chat with people on social media, I need to remember that folks' wounds over Abbie are still fresh. I'm disappointed too, but I think I've come to accept what happened as fact. 

On May 1, 2016 at 9:42 PM, C76 said:

As I chat with people on social media, I need to remember that folks' wounds over Abbie are still fresh. I'm disappointed too, but I think I've come to accept what happened as fact. 

On Fridays at 7pm, I still want to watch SH.  It's stooopid, I know. I don't watch too much TV so SH was my show.  

I started watching because of NB.  TM was a nice surprise.  I didn't know who he was, but I thoroughly enjoyed him as Ichabod Crane.  Ichabbie was my OTP in any shape or form they were given to me, as long as they were on screen together.

Oh, well. If I can just stay away from this forum, I think I'll be able to let SH go. 

• Love 2

I'm not looking for a way back; however I did find a new series that I'm enjoying and has helped with getting over Sleepy Hollow.  

'Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries'.  It's an Aussie series.  Very good dynamic between Miss Fisher and the Inspector.  The other characters are also well done.

(edited)
On May 6, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Criminey said:

I'm not looking for a way back; however I did find a new series that I'm enjoying and has helped with getting over Sleepy Hollow.  

'Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries'.  It's an Aussie series.  Very good dynamic between Miss Fisher and the Inspector.  The other characters are also well done.

I love this series.  I binge-watched it on Netflix back in January. I love, love, love Phryne Fisher. I wasn't going to watch it at first because of the Australian accent.  I didn't want to struggle trying to understand what was being said over paying attention to the story. However, it turned out not to be a problem.  I think I'll watch it again. Thanks for reminding of some very good TV.

Edited by bobbysgurl
typo

ABC's new fall show, Time After TIme, seems similar in concept to Sleepy Hollow -- as in, a man from the past teams up with a woman from the present to stop an evil threat (from the past). The description here seems to outline the entire pilot. Eh, time travel shows only seem to last so long.

(edited)
20 minutes ago, Trini said:

ABC's new fall show, Time After TIme, seems similar in concept to Sleepy Hollow -- as in, a man from the past teams up with a woman from the present to stop an evil threat (from the past). The description here seems to outline the entire pilot. Eh, time travel shows only seem to last so long.

I just read that description. I almost wonder when/if Time After Time's creators will give Sleepy Hollow's team a production credit. They may have chosen different materials, but their show is from an identical mold.

Edited by C76
Grammatical error

I can laugh about it, but a part of me is curious about how Time After Time will unfold. 

Decades ago I noticed an American show popped up that had a striking resemblance to one from my country (Canada). It was only within the past 5 years that I learned someone had been sending them scripts from the Canadian series.

Time After Time is actually based on a movie of the same name from 1978.  It may be being produced now because of the success of various time-travel shows, but it's not a copy of any given show.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's a gawdawful movie. Memorably bad and not in a fun way, just dull and nasty with competent actors miscast and wasting themselves. Actually David Warner wasn't miscast, he usually plays characters that creep me out in some way and he was especially skin-crawling in Time After Time.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 1

I actually saw Time After Time with the star, Mary Steenburgen (she just didn't know it, ha). Short version: she's from North Little Rock Arkansas. Hubs and I thought the premise sounded intriguing so went to opening night at an NLR theater, which was almost empty (she wasn't a "name" then, and didn't get much little local attention). A group of people sat behind us in the theater and I noted they were really into the film - which we enjoyed. Stood up to leave after credits rolled, turned around and there was the face I'd just seen on screen. She was there with her family, sitting right behind me. I was so startled all I could say was, "Uh, good movie." She smiled and we left. She and Ted Danson hang out in Little Rock quite a bit now, and I've seen them from a distance, but haven't enjoyed any more premieres with the star. :)

And while I'm smiling at that memory, I'm still pissed about Sleepy Hollow.

• Love 1
On 5/15/2016 at 4:36 PM, Fosca said:

Time After Time is actually based on a movie of the same name from 1978.  It may be being produced now because of the success of various time-travel shows, but it's not a copy of any given show.

On 5/15/2016 at 7:17 PM, yuggapukka said:

It's a gawdawful movie. Memorably bad and not in a fun way, just dull and nasty with competent actors miscast and wasting themselves. Actually David Warner wasn't miscast, he usually plays characters that creep me out in some way and he was especially skin-crawling in Time After Time.

Thank you both. I've heard of the film but never seen it. 

On 5/15/2016 at 10:54 AM, Trini said:

So much for how "unique" Crane is.

Not sure where this goes so I'll put it here.
Further proof that they didn't have to kill Abbie if Beharie wanted to make a movie: Tariji Henson (one of the two main leads in Empire) is one of the three leads in  movie coming out early next year.  Did they kill Cookie? Hell to the no -- her screen time hasn't been significantly lowered.  So that excuse is dead...

(edited)
7 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Not sure where this goes so I'll put it here.
Further proof that they didn't have to kill Abbie if Beharie wanted to make a movie: Tariji Henson (one of the two main leads in Empire) is one of the three leads in  movie coming out early next year.  Did they kill Cookie? Hell to the no -- her screen time hasn't been significantly lowered.  So that excuse is dead...

Is it? 

(Disclaimer: FWIW, I'm not supporting the idea. I think it's stupid.) 

But it's clear to me that a lot of people in Hollywood firmly believe that if an actor wants to leave a show, then you MUST kill his or her character.

I've read tweets/quotes suggesting as much. And I've rolled my eyes.

(Thankfully as per your example, not everyone thinks it's a good idea. Also, as an aside...Why would TPTB at a show kill a character if the actor is still under contract with them?)

I don't know if you're familiar with Downton Abby. I loved that show to pieces but a part of me is still pissed that Julian Fellowes (the show's writer) insisted that he "had to" kill Matthew (Dan Stevens). I think killing characters off because an actor decides to leave is a lazy choice. Yet it seems to be a pretty popular one. And evidently, a particular segment of TPTB in Hollywood thinks it's perfectly acceptable. Especially this year.

Edited by C76
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm just remembering Daniel Jackson on Stargate: SG1 and Carson Beckett on Stargate: Atlantis, who they killed as a means of denying the actors the ability to return. There was such a fuss from fans that both came back anyway.

I always suspect lazy writers are just wringing more emotion out of their storylines than they're capable of putting into them.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Julia said:

I always suspect lazy writers are just wringing more emotion out of their storylines than they're capable of putting into them.

I think you nailed it.

Since i am not sure where this goes, I will put it here. My Tivo shows Lyndie Greenwood is a guest on tonight's episode of Whose Line Is It Anyway? Here in NJ, this program airs at 8:30 pm on WPIX (channel 11).