Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Which Way to Sleepy Hollow?

Penny Dreadful is a good one too. It had some really slow episodes but once it got rolling, the first season finished strong. 

I gave up on The Returned. Couldn't get into The Leftovers.

I'm really thinking of trying HTGAWM. I like Viola Davis. Is Alfred Enoch's character on the show as adorable as he seems in real life?

Of course there's always OITNB. It's the only netflix show I watch.

Penny Dreadful is a good one too. It had some really slow episodes but once it got rolling, the first season finished strong. 

I gave up on The Returned. Couldn't get into The Leftovers.

I'm really thinking of trying HTGAWM. I like Viola Davis. Is Alfred Enoch's character on the show as adorable as he seems in real life?

Of course there's always OITNB. It's the only netflix show I watch.

His name is Wes. He's equal parts adorable and annoying. He manages to start dating the most annoying girl ever and it causes all sorts of trouble.

I'm looking forward to Defiance on SyFy this summer.

Amanda and the Tarrs (my new band name)!  I've decided Nolan is way too much of a bully to like, but the rest of the cast is great.

Lots of Gotham fans here!  

BTW, my favorite game show is The Chase (sorry, Jeopardy, Brooke doesn't harass the women).  Great fun!  (Idiotest is fun too, and pretty hard at times.)

Television Without Pity. It was a popular website devoted to tv recaps and forum discussion about TV shows and movies, until it shut down last year. PTV is kinda it's progeny.

The people (Sarah and Glark among others) who founded TWoP and ran it until the sale to Bravo are the ones who founded and run PTV.

• Love 1

The people (Sarah and Glark among others) who founded TWoP and ran it until the sale to Bravo are the ones who founded and run PTV.

Yup - that too. When TWoP announced it was closing, many of those people were looking for another forum (including myself) to discuss and debate things, and PTV is the best of the bunch, IMHO. And traffic has skyrocketed insanely since March of last year (when TWoP shut down).

jhlipton is a guy, so Happy Belly, Halcyon Days and Ichabod makes for a nice 4-some.  Let's invite Abbie, Jenny and Frank (anyone else?) and have an orgy!

Hawley or Orion?? Hey, Abraham van Brunt before death too...Ah, jhlipton, you are the best! Just hilarious.*grin*

• Love 1

Why "or"???? The more the merrier! Not Abraham or Wig-Stand, though -- no "mopey"s!

If we invite Headless, at least we'll know which "head" he's thinking with!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be in my bunk...

I see none of us are even thinking of bringing Katrina to the party. Thank you. Now, with all these people coming and going and going and coming....and always too soon (RIP Madeline Kahn) y'all will be too busy to notice that I have Ichabod all to myself. Sigh!

Y'all...are....HEATHENS!  (especially you, JH - and I love it!) :D

I was a teen of the grunge 90s, therefore long hair, scruff/beard or goatee on a guy is totally my thing...sorry Happy Belly. Crane's mine!

Now, ladies, sharing is caring!  I'm sure we can work out a "time-share" agreement!  And I'll be glad to offer any "services" that might be needed (assuming I'm not busy with the Mills Sisses -- "the only time it's not creepy is an orgy")

Now, ladies, sharing is caring!  I'm sure we can work out a "time-share" agreement!  And I'll be glad to offer any "services" that might be needed (assuming I'm not busy with the Mills Sisses -- "the only time it's not creepy is an orgy")

Is this a closed party or can anyone come? Orion is cute......

(edited)

Brought over from the media thread regarding westallen:

I do ship WestAllen and hope the writers keep them as endgame. It would be nice to have one show with a AA female lead in an OTP.

From a comic perspective Iris west IS the lead in the OTP - Iris and Barry marry and populate the entire Flash universe. If the writers change that, it would be akin to changing Lois Lane as Superman's OTL (ignore the new 52 though). IF they change that, it would look really really bad - they would have finally given the lead female role and half of a famous and long known OTP to a black woman, but then changed the story so that the white male lead ended up with the other white female character that a lot of racist fans started shipping as soon as Candice Patton was cast as Iris West on the show. If they change that - I swear to God we will have to launch a massive campaign against DC and the CW for that. No - WestAllen has to be endgame - the alternative is unthinkable and will feel like a massive win for racism.

Sorry for the derail - the whole mess happening in the Flash fandom is so utterly upsetting to me.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 2

I feel you, Phoenics. A lot of the stuff I've seen regarding Iris and WestAllen has upset me too. I think that's why I've latched on to this silly couples tournament. I just want TPTB to see that there is support for WestAllen and hopefully they'll stop with the Caitlin teasing and concentrate on writing Iris and WestAllen better. At least Barry/Caitlin didn't make it out of the first round, but just the fact that they made it in there when Barry has spent most of the season being head over heels for Iris and Caitlin has an epic love story with Ronnie says loads.

What are people watching while we wait? I am still playing catch up with Doctor Who and am all caught up with Scandal, tho no new eppy tonight

• Love 1
(edited)

I love Empire and Black Sails.  I will miss HTGAWM.  I'm looking so forward to Game of Thrones and Bates Motel, but I must hang my head in guilty pleasure about watching The Bachelor.

Edited by Fable

Wonder if 'going to CBS to supervise and develop new shows' is ..spin...for going to CBS as a writer for one of their new shows? LinaLamont, how do you read this?

With any luck, he'll be another Rob Long -- creating pilot after pilot that never get picked up.

• Love 1

In my area, a cop was shot and thankfully will suvive. The last name of the guy who did it? Leftenant. I kid you not. Everytime someone on the news says that name, all I hear is Ichabod.

edited because I had some funky line spacing going on here.

Edited by Happy Belly

Reposted from Unpopular Opinions:

There is, to me, a range of behaviour between "He doesn't understand his own privilege and how his writing decisions affect the show" and "He's deliberately trying to erase the diversity of the show to make it a show of white actors with one token minority actor." Both are racist, but have very different levels of knowledge, intention, and consciousness of behaviour.

Yes, exactly but in general, I'd go a bit further to include the frat boys at SAE and other flat-out racists. Take Ferguson, MO, for example. There were a few cops and police employees who were out-and-out racists (on the far end of this range), but most, if not all, of the entire city structure was willfully blind to the bias against blacks.

Where does Goffman sit on this scale? It's impossible to know, but I doubt he's at either end. Almost certainly closer to the 'white privilege" end than the deliberate racist end.

I take your point, jhlipton. I thought about making that the other end of my range I described above, but decided to keep it at structural racism instead, as I was saying that's the only thing I feel comfortable assuming about Goffman in this situation. But even there there's room for nuance. Did he truly only see side lining Jenny and Irving for Hawley and Katrina as a temporary necessity for the story, completely clueless about the message he was sending? Did he deliberately try to reduce the number of minority characters, cynically assuming that a whiter cast meant bigger ratings and more money? Does he honestly not understand the audience investment in Ichabod/Abbie, or is he afraid of it in some way? But unless I see more evidence to the contrary, I'm not comfortable assuming he hates people of colour or is disgusted with the idea of closeness between Abbie and Ichabod.

Edited by Miss Dee
  • Love 2

Found two shows to tide me over until SH returns. Haven and Kimmy Shmidt.

Watched 'Haven" from the pilot and was never, ever right about what was going on. The writers always stay several steps in front of the fans. 'Salem' is pretty good, also.

• Love 1

Okay, here's an idea I've been playing with for S3. We have Ichabod, Abbie, Jennie and Frank with Cotton Mather and John Alden (from Salem) and Nathan and Duke from Haven against the Countess, Mary Sibley, Tituba, Ann Hale and Mercy Lewis from Salem in a showdown. Audrey from Haven is playing both sides. I don't know anything about "Buffy', 'GOT' or 'Supernatural' so feel free to add in any other characters from any other shows.............

Well, although this is not in the supernatural genre, I will add two characters both from the same show. They are both from Turn, Wasington's Spies. Simcoe who is one bad dude and I think he could (and would) kick everyone's ass, and I'd add Ben Talmidge because Ichabod needs competition in the "holy crap look at that gorgeous hunk of man" contest.

edited because "from" is not spelled without an "m" in it

Edited by Happy Belly

Okay, here's an idea I've been playing with for S3. We have Ichabod, Abbie, Jennie and Frank with Cotton Mather and John Alden (from Salem) and Nathan and Duke from Haven against the Countess, Mary Sibley, Tituba, Ann Hale and Mercy Lewis from Salem in a showdown. Audrey from Haven is playing both sides. I don't know anything about "Buffy', 'GOT' or 'Supernatural' so feel free to add in any other characters from any other shows.............

I suggest Amy Madison from Buffy, up to "Gingerbread".  We can "headcanon" that she was de-rat-ified somehow, and remains a powerful, but volatile "frenemy" to Team Witness. 

ETA:  Braeden (Meagan Tandy), a bounty-hunter;  Kira Yukimura (Arden Cho), a kitsune; and Malia Tate (Shelley Hennig), a were-coyote -- from Teen Wolf would also be good characters.

Edited by jhlipton

Not that this really fits anywhere but had to tell it to someone.  I'm power-watching (bingeing while still having a life and getting things like mowing the lawn, filling up the cars with gas, and playing Mah Jongg & Bridge done) Inspector Lewis because Amazon Prime is expiring the series on June 14.  Got to the US Season 2 / UK Season 3 episode Allegory of Love and the Prime blurb says starring Katia Winter, Tom Mison.  So naturally the Amazon website is screwed up, right?

Nope, Inspector Lewis lists the cast credits in order of appearance.  KW was the first onscreen (she's the murder victim,

death by mirror broken over the head and then whipsawed into the neck

), and Tom Mison was next (no beard, no scruff, and with highlights).  

Totally random but I had to share:

Whenever I fail at life, I say I'm "Struggle-Witching".

And I don't even watch this show (as I have mentioned before)!

LOL! Seriously?? That gave me a good laugh (which I needed). But OnceSane, you really have to fail in life to Struggle-Witch, let me tell you. Like, complete absolute failure coupled by a faint at the end!

Hee.

• Love 2

LOL! Seriously?? That gave me a good laugh (which I needed). But OnceSane, you really have to fail in life to Struggle-Witch, let me tell you. Like, complete absolute failure coupled by a faint at the end!

Hee.

Seriously. I will randomly say out loud (whether anyone else is home), "I AM struggle-witchin' today!". Usually it's after I've screwed up something simple, like not being able to take the top off of he milk without spilling it everywhere.

• Love 3
(edited)

Putting this here -- maybe it goes in "In The Media":

I have to get this:

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/920?stockItemID=JUN151074

SLEEPY HOLLOW: PROVIDENCE #1 (OF 4)

STK678254.jpg

What's to Love: As fans anxiously await the start of the third season of Fox's Sleepy Hollow TV show, we've got something to tide them over: a new, original story featuring their favorite characters, with Sleepy Hollow team member Eric Carrasco writing.

What It Is: Based on the Fox TV series! Jenny returns to Sleepy Hollow with an ancient artifact she discovered in tow: the Eye of Providence. It supposedly gives its possessor psychic powers, but when it does nothing for her, she hands it off to Ichabod and Abbie to investigate. But the Eye attracts a demonic bike gang called The Wild Hunt, and they're cutting down anyone who gets in their way of obtaining it.

And so do you!

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 4

I just finished read Kindred by Octavia Butler. Wow, such a good book. Someone needs to turn into a movie with Nicole Beharie as Dana.

Butler is a fantastic author -- all her books are great.

But yes, Beharie as Dana would put me over the moon!

• Love 2