Type keyword(s) to search

Blood, Sweat & Heels - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just couldn't with Demetria's, "You know it's okay to speak to me" when she said NOTHING to both Mica and Daisy.  I even rewound when Daisy entered the theater and said hello to Demetria, and although someone does respond, it actually wasn't Demetria, it was the lady in the blue dress who got up to let Daisy pass down the aisle; Demetria turned her gaze away.  When no one was around, she was just as immature, but when she had an audience, she had to show just how much classier she is than them.  <eye roll>  And it's things like that that make me not like her, even though I respect the work she does and her hustle/drive.  But jeez, girl.  Stop acting above it all and be real.

What makes Demetria an asshole to Daisy is she didn't speak to Daisy (even after Daisy spoke to her), didn't speak to Mica (which is fine because Mica didn't want to speak to her & didn't) but waited until she got an audience together to driveby Daisy and act like DAISY was the one who wasn't speaking.  I'm suspicious of people who are all hush mouth by themselves but get a burst of WWE-style strength when they gather an audience together.

• Love 11

Daisy, your upbeat attitude during your cancer journey is stealing a piece of my itty bitty black heart.

Demetria, for gawd's sake, instead of sitting in that audience with a sweat-covered face, it would not have been beneath you to at least attempt to fan yourself as everybody else in the audience appeared to be doing.  I found myself wishing I could push a Kleenex through my TV screen for you to wipe the perspiration off of your face.  NOT a good look.

Melyssa, I guess you weren't kidding when you said that auditorium was as hot as balls.  I thought you meant from the stage lights but, nope, that entire audience looked like they were in a sauna.

Those ladies are better friends than I am.  I'd have lasted about 4.5 minutes in that sweltering theater and then bounced.

Daisy, your upbeat attitude during your cancer journey is stealing a piece of my itty bitty black heart.

Demetria, for gawd's sake, instead of sitting in that audience with a sweat-covered face, it would not have been beneath you to at least attempt to fan yourself as everybody else in the audience appeared to be doing.  I found myself wishing I could push a Kleenex through my TV screen for you to wipe the perspiration off of your face.  NOT a good look.

Melyssa, I guess you weren't kidding when you said that auditorium was as hot as balls.  I thought you meant from the stage lights but, nope, that entire audience looked like they were in a sauna.

Those ladies are better friends than I am.  I'd have lasted about 4.5 minutes in that sweltering theater and then bounced.

• Love 4
(edited)
I'm sure she's very aware of her privilege,  I'll show myself out since it seems everybody's in love with Mica.

Please stay...everyone is entitle to their own opinion, otherwise these forums would be boring.

The one time I thought Mica might have had a little light skin superiority was during last season's reunion.  Mica shared a story about being in the ladies' room and being approached by two older white woman who demanded to know what she was.  When Mica told them she was black, they both claimed that she was far too pretty to be black.

I have no doubt that this happened to her and she probably gets ignorant statements like that all the time.  However, I felt she was a little smug in her telling of the story.  I do have to say... no one else has had a problem with it, so I think I might have been mistaken about her attitude.

I know it was difficult for her as a model.  She said she was often rejected by African American magazines for not being black enough when she had two African American parents.  I think she probably has felt both the privilege and the pain of looking the way she does.

That being said I am loving her support of Daisy this year.  You sometimes need a kooky friend to make you smile through the hard times.

I do not understand why she tolerated Terry.  I certainly would have nothing to do with a man that lied to me in that manner.  I was afraid he might be with her for her money (as someone said, her father's side of the family is wealthy).  I am glad it is over between them.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 1

" I'm sure she's very aware of her privilege,  I'll show myself out since it seems everybody's in love with Mica."

hey! hey!over here! not everybody.

I don't like Mica,not sure if its because I'm from Louisiana, where I came into contact with girls like Mica from elementary school

to the grown-up work world, and yes they thought they were special,because they were raised to be that way.They were treated by everyone (well everyone who should have been advocates for EVERYONE), or whether I dislike her because she is Mica.  

I'm sure she's very aware of her privilege,  I'll show myself out since it seems everybody's in love with Mica.

No ma'am, you better come back!

I was born and raised in a major city so I get wanted to live where the action is as a young person. I get why Geneva wants to stay in NYC instead of finding a cheaper and bigger place she can commute in from. However, I am not about that 'pay premium dollars for a shoe box' life. I was priced out of a major city and moved to an area where the cost of living is much cheaper. To me, it was worth it. That extra money went into my bank account at the end of the month instead of in a landlord's hands. I had to snort when Geneva was giving her mom that apartment tour on her phone...like girl, just stand at the front door and take video from there and your mom will see every square foot. Can someone tell me what Geneva does for a living? She mentioned being able to write from her apartment, so I assume she's a journalist?

I was reading a story someone told about Melyssa's play on another site, and the person who went to the show said it was really hot in there and that some people left.

I know it was difficult for her as a model.  She said she was often rejected by African American magazines for not being black enough when she had two African American parents.  I think she probably has felt both the privilege and the pain of looking the way she does.

This was such an interesting story because I feel like her look would be just the one that was in demand when she was at her peak. Mica is in her early/mid-40s now, so I'm supposed to believe that in the early-to-mid-90s her look wasn't more sought after for Black magazines? Even now, where there are finally more dark-skinned and brown-skinned models, I'm thinking that lighter-skinned models are still first choice (for print and TV commercials, etc.).

I'm not trying to deny Mica her experiences, but at the same time, she's also the same woman who says that Terry cheated on her and that the women were laughing at her father dying. Which is to say, the woman can twist some things pretty nicely. 

I guess Mica would be Cynthia Bailey's (from the Atlanta Housewives) contemporary, since they are close to the same age.  Cynthia was gorgeous and had a pretty successful career. Does anybody have a link to modeling pictures of Mica?  It is interesting that they are both running model agencies and are on Bravo shows.

This was such an interesting story because I feel like her look would be just the one that was in demand when she was at her peak

idk,  I do think there is a general bias towards light skinned black women in the media.  However, at the same time. I think modeling has a lot more to do with height, leg length, and most importantly facial bone structure.  I do not know all of Mica's attributes.  She is perhaps pretty, maybe.  But probably not the most striking model. 

I am guessing she was on the scene when Naomi Campbell broke out.

Edited by SpringTulips

Nobody's "in love with Mica." I just hate the old, "she think she cute cause she light skinned" adage when there's nothing the accused has said or done to warrant it.

- I totally agree. Sometimes, that tired excuse says more about the person uttering it. Mica, more than anyone else, never takes herself seriously. Yes, she's completely over the top, but she does it with a firm wink. I find her hilarious, a natural comediienne.

• Love 7

Not sure if anyone else is catching these since they are running directly after the RHWoA First Looks and aren't being ID'd separately.  Anywho...

Loved the face that new girl made when Geneva told her she needed to take off her shoes before she came into the apartment.  Lol!  She was probably thinking, It's only 5 steps to the couch!

Geneva screwing up her face when new girl (sorry, really can't remember her name) mentioned any of the other ladies, but then saying she doesn't have a problem with them, was beyond immature.  And I do believe she has some sort of insecurities and/or jealousies when it comes to Melyssa.

I don't know how much of Daisy's story I can watch.  It's just too sad and I'm shallow and want to be able to make fun of and laugh at people on the show.

- I totally agree. Sometimes, that tired excuse says more about the person uttering it. Mica, more than anyone else, never takes herself seriously. Yes, she's completely over the top, but she does it with a firm wink. I find her hilarious, a natural comediienne.

Both of these comments 100%! It's not a fair statement and this thinking has caused a lot of problems, negativity in a lot of people's lives.

Mica seems to self-denigrate to me; probably as a defense mechanism. No one should have to live like that.

• Love 4

idk,  I do think there is a general bias towards light skinned black women in the media.  However, at the same time. I think modeling has a lot more to do with height, leg length, and most importantly facial bone structure.  I do not know all of Mica's attributes.  She is perhaps pretty, maybe.  But probably not the most striking model. 

I am guessing she was on the scene when Naomi Campbell broke out.

There's surely a light skinned bias in the media and when I look at the model shots someone posted above, I wonder if that's all she has going for her in this industry. There are a whole bunch of funny looking models who can take a striking photo. Mica ain't one of them. 

Ok Mica, both your parents are black. However since they both look biracial, don't respond as though any regular box of chocolates comes out with a kid looking like you without something in the mix. However Mica is a bit delusional. 

• Love 2

No ma'am, you better come back!

I was born and raised in a major city so I get wanted to live where the action is as a young person. I get why Geneva wants to stay in NYC instead of finding a cheaper and bigger place she can commute in from. However, I am not about that 'pay premium dollars for a shoe box' life. I was priced out of a major city and moved to an area where the cost of living is much cheaper. To me, it was worth it. That extra money went into my bank account at the end of the month instead of in a landlord's hands. I had to snort when Geneva was giving her mom that apartment tour on her phone...like girl, just stand at the front door and take video from there and your mom will see every square foot. Can someone tell me what Geneva does for a living? She mentioned being able to write from her apartment, so I assume she's a journalist?

I was reading a story someone told about Melyssa's play on another site, and the person who went to the show said it was really hot in there and that some people left.

I think I know what website you are talking about. I am on there too and the discussion on this show and others are bit less politically correct. LOL!  As for Geneva, I have a feeling that her mother, the sex therapist probably helps to pay her rent until she "makes it big".

• Love 1
Those ladies are better friends than I am.  I'd have lasted about 4.5 minutes in that sweltering theater and then bounced.

Me too.  I would not volunteer to be without air conditioning.

The Bravo site has some pics of Mica, some modeling some personal: http://www.bravotv.com/blood-sweat-and-heels/photos/vintage-photos-of-mica-hughes/item/10654891 

She also has some stuff on her website: http://www.micahughes.com/#project

Her modeling career did not take off because her pictures are not that great.  She is a beautiful woman, but I don't think her beauty translates well in print.  Cynthia's pictures are captivating.  Mica's pictures are underwhelming. 

• Love 1

Not liking the new English lady. She's coming off as very condescending and nasty, and, frankly, ignorant. Going in on Melyssa for the types of relationships she chooses and can't even say "cerebrally". I wonder if she even know what that word meant. Also, just because she equates "fun" with "sex" doesn't mean that the next woman, or man, does, so what was that all about? 

• Love 2

I agree. Chantalle(sp?) is unnecessarily mean. Nothing Melissa said provoked that. Geneva laughing wasn't cute, either. Melissa can have fun without sex and if she didn't want to say she was having sex with her friend, it's her business.

Was Geneva trying to say she was anemic, but said bulimic instead? She's one of those people who likes to use words to sound smart, but she misuses words and comes off as dumb.

Arzo is a hard looking 36.

• Love 3

Was Geneva trying to say she was anemic, but said bulimic instead? She's one of those people who likes to use words to sound smart, but she misuses words and comes off as dumb.

Word. I didn't even think about anemic because I was doing my Scooby-Doo ruh face when she said that. Malapropisms happen to the best of us, but Geneva is so damn smug that I find myself judging.

• Love 4

Yo! Can we talk about her saying to Demetria that she needed to decompose (as opposed to decompress)? I was like, What in the world?

I did! I tried! Last week, but it was during the First Look, and there's no First Look topic so it's spoilered. 

Oh, girl. Last week you were understanding Demetria needed to decompose and this week you can't be vegan because you're naturally bulimic. And then this, to the relationship expert without a relationship: "Some of us all work in media." Say what?? What college did you go to, and who do you write for??

Daisy, you're breaking my heart. She looked AWFUL at that interview segment. So sick and drawn, her face was clearly showing it all.

Geneva is the type to look down her nose at everyone when she's still eating 5/$1 ramen noodles and hot dogs. Please stop, Geneva.

Demetria Downer. No words for her.

I like Melyssa, but she just seems lost. Like she never had a plan for her life after her last video shoot. I hope she makes it because she seems to be a genuinely sweet person.

My favorite friendship is Daisy and Mica's. They support each other without all the bullshit. There's no competition there. They just love and support each other.

I did giggle when the new girl randomly dropped that her boyfriend was Black, and Geneva gave her a quick side-eye.

I am here for your Geneva shade, hilarious! And Demetria Downer, love it. 

I too am a fan of the Mica/Daisy friendship.

I haven't seen any indication that Mica thinks she's better than anyone because of her skin color or hair texture. Especially considering she was sporting a pretty boss 'fro last night, she doesn't have straight hair.

Late to the party, but agreed. I also agree with the sentiments upthread, both that sometimes it seems to say more about those making the accusation and that it's thrown around too easily and often, when the person hasn't done a damned thing to indicate that "she think she cute," other than be herself. It's the kind of thing that's also been thrown at Claudia in the RHOA threads. They both do the self-deprecating thing and it's definitely a defense mechanism.

If I recall correctly, Mica has been pretty open about her long hair being a weave. I remember one of her models complimenting her hair and she said something like, "You can get some too, on 125th St." And she shushed it - the weave itself. Like, she picked up a strand of hair and said "Shh!" to it. 

Plus, for my money, the Financial District is kind of sterile. Harlem has much more character, it's more lively. Good energy. It feels more like a place people live. The Financial District feels more like a place people work.

Not just shushed it, but whinnied first. That was one of the most hilarious scenes from the first season. They kept showing it in the promos.

I think it's clear why she'd rather pay $3K to rent a shoebox than spend that kind of money and get half a brownstone in Harlem. See: clowning while eating ramen. It's a superiority thing. It's okay though. I feel safer not worrying that I might bump into her getting out of a cab. Or anywhere there are bottles. Yes, stay downtown girl!

Poor Daisy, but is it wrong to say that her wigs are actually much improved this season?

I don't know if it's wrong, but her wigs are definitely improved. Can't help but notice that.

• Love 4

I agree. Chantalle(sp?) is unnecessarily mean. Nothing Melissa said provoked that. Geneva laughing wasn't cute, either. Melissa can have fun without sex and if she didn't want to say she was having sex with her friend, it's her business.

Arzo is a hard looking 36.

Her and Chantalle are some rough looking 36 year olds!

Chantalle definitely bugged with that last comment she made about Melyssa in regards to the type of guy she thought Melyssa should date.

Geneva is an idiot.

• Love 2

Love Mica's mom, but I would be annoyed too if every time I went to her, she'd give me an answer from the Bible.

I'm not really sure what Melyssa wants from her mom. I don't know if her mom is putting on an act for the cameras and is actually a raging beast, but she seems nice. Melyssa seems to be in need of something from her mom, but can't quite articulate what it is. She said she was a bit of an asshole to her mom growing up. Her aunt tells her that she saw Melyssa's mom cry when she moved to NY. Melyssa's reaction is to tell her mom she was probably glad that she was leaving. Huh? Maybe it was a joke, but if she felt there was a disconnect or a misunderstanding about how her mother feels about her, there was the opening right there.

• Love 1

This matchmaker is kind of an asshole, and that "event" looked like no fun at all. "Fun" can indeed mean getting together for drinks and dinners and whatnot, maybe some physical stuff that's not sex, and if that's what Melyssa is doing, that's her business. The matchmaker and Chantelle were on some mean girl shit.

Geneva is just not that bright.

Arzo is indeed rough-looking. Her boyfriend's name is Yesterday?

It seems Melyssa's dad treated her like a princess, but mistreated her mother. Maybe that's where some of the issues stem from? I agree that there's a disconnect in their relationship. It might be because of how I was raised, but I did raise a brow at how Melyssa currently speaks to her mom and aunt. She talks to them like they are her girlfriends and not her elders. Even if Melyssa hadn't mentioned it, I can totally tell she was one of those teens who said all kinds of bullshit to her mom and no one checked her.

• Love 2

Mom might have been jealous at the bond Melyssa & her dad had or Melyssa might've felt resentment that her mom couldn't understand what she was going through being treated as a sex object.  Melyssa and her mom and her aunt seem like nice people so I hope they can all work it out.

Melyssa might not want to be treated as a sex object but it may be all she knows, especially if she was telling Mom/Aunt that she's been treated that way since Jr. High.  I saw a LinkedIn profile that is supposedly hers with her posing seductively; I know I as a coupled woman would not hire her to be my agent based on that picture alone and many women do nix sexy real estate agents who are posing/preening in their marketing materials.  She shouldn't have to wear boxy jackets and polyester high waist pants but she doesn't need to be posing seductively in her marketing materials either.  She needs a mentor/stylist who can help her dress for her curves but still look professional. {/soapbox}

Demetria is a downer & has got a lot of nerve calling Mica "weird".  Mica is silly and likes to have fun; she does not go through life with a stick up her butt and a perma-sneer on her face.  Fun.  Demetria should try it sometimes.

• Love 2

Can not stand Geneva. She really said Anorexic when the correct word was Anemic when she was referring to why she needed to eat meat ? She is a complete moron. 

Aside from Daisy and the marriage Demetria doesn't want to talk about, these ladies don't have a whole lot going on. 

Can not stand Geneva. She really said Anorexic when the correct word was Anemic when she was referring to why she needed to eat meat ? She is a complete moron. 

Aside from Daisy and the marriage Demetria doesn't want to talk about, these ladies don't have a whole lot going on. 

Man, she didn't even say "anorexic." This chick said "naturally bulimic." Where is she writing?! Which publication is giving her space and coins for her words?

Can we vote Chantelle off the island? She's such an asshole. Her buddy the matchmaker was an ass, too. How is she digging into why Daisy isn't dating, only to turn around and be like, "Oh, well, I'm not dating because of this, that, and the other." I mean, fine if you're not dating, but how are you a matchmaker who's taken herself out the game?

• Love 5

Love Mica's mom, but I would be annoyed too if every time I went to her, she'd give me an answer from the Bible.

Yeah, same.  Nothing wrong with being spiritual, but there's a time and place for everything.  Not every situation needs to turn into Sunday school.

• Love 1

Man, she didn't even say "anorexic." This chick said "naturally bulimic." Where is she writing?! Which publication is giving her space and coins for her words?

That's right! Sorry, I knew it was something crazy that had to do with an eating disorder which had no relation to what she was actually trying to say! 

I'm glad y'all were able to decode what Geneva was trying to say because I certainly code not.  I had no idea she actually meant "anemic".  I was sitting on my couch, like a fool, trying to figure out what "naturally bulimic" meant - was it a condition where, despite your best efforts, you automatically throw up after each meal?  I was perplexed.  

• Love 10

Can we vote Chantelle off the island? She's such an asshole. Her buddy the matchmaker was an ass, too. How is she digging into why Daisy isn't dating, only to turn around and be like, "Oh, well, I'm not dating because of this, that, and the other." I mean, fine if you're not dating, but how are you a matchmaker who's taken herself out the game?

And the matchmaker tossed off an "Oh GOD, no" when she was asked if she was or had ever been married. What? She didn't come off well at all, in my opinion - she was laughing at potential clients (Melyssa, Daisy), and barking orders at folks, and just acting a fool.

I died laughing at the shade the editors threw of Geneva eating all the cheese.

• Love 3

I have seen the matchmaker before, maybe another reality show? Remember that show with that Steve guy teaching...Tough Love!!! Is that his sister or something? I just know I have seen her before.

She actually reminded me a lot of Aubrey O'Day from Danity Kane.

• Love 1

And the matchmaker tossed off an "Oh GOD, no" when she was asked if she was or had ever been married. What? She didn't come off well at all, in my opinion - she was laughing at potential clients (Melyssa, Daisy), and barking orders at folks, and just acting a fool.

I died laughing at the shade the editors threw of Geneva eating all the cheese.

She does resemble the girl from Danity Kane but I think she was on a Bravo show about matchmakers and their love lives. There were two other girls- one from California and some other Northern city.  It ran for one season only.

Her buddy the matchmaker was an ass, too. How is she digging into why Daisy isn't dating, only to turn around and be like, "Oh, well, I'm not dating because of this, that, and the other." I mean, fine if you're not dating, but how are you a matchmaker who's taken herself out the game?

-Yeah she came off rude.  But somehow a perpetually single matchmaker doesn't surprise me.  I guess I have been exposed to too many of those "types."  The star chef who makes peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at home; the top contractor who can never seem to finish their own house; the best hairdresser in the salon who happens to have the most jacked up hair.

I actually really like Chantelle. I think she's pretty and I like that she's bitchy and I LURVE the accent. She gets points on at least being interesting. This season I feel like the only people delivering so far are Daisy and Mica. Demetria actually has a storyline, but she is SO BORING and has a very unlikable demeanor. Melyssa is EXTREMELY BORING with her ridiculous "woe is me" over her video vixen label. Girl you made tons of money doing it, just shut up and SHOW UP that you have moved on. You don't see Jeana from RHOC bashing her Playboy days, because she doesn't HAVE to. She's successfully moved on in life and Melyssa needs to do the same. Geneva is BORING with her wannabe Sex and the City act. She is only interesting when she is getting into it with someone. The other new girl seems like she'll be a combination of boring and annoying, we shall see. 

So far the season has been pretty terrible though. I'm really looking forward to how it develops and to see if it gets any better. If not, I'll enjoy what Mica, Daisy and Chantelle bring.

• Love 3

I admit, at this point I'm only hanging in to see Geneva's arrest story.  Otherwise, these ladies have not been entertaining.

I feel for Daisy, and I appreciate the positive way she's handling her illness, but I wouldn't be watching for that alone. 

• Love 1

Uuuggghhhhh, time to overshare :( My best gf was dx w ovarian cancer about 11 years ago. Stage 4, metasticized everyfuckingwhere. Watching Daisy is gutting me. I was the 'Mica' to my friend, even though I was far away. My girl did 5 years of chemo, working the whole fucking time, until she went into hospice. I don't know that I'd do the same course & I hope that Daisy slows down & takes care of herself. Low wbc count is nothing to take lightly. Oh Daisy :(

• Love 1

Don't get in between Geneva and her food, or the camera, 'cause she will mow you down.

I'm enjoying Melyssa less and less. It appears she's become a professional victim who occasionally attempts to sell real estate. She seems to have the maturity (and the wardrobe) of a teenager.

I've seen the matchmaker on another show but cannot recall which one.

• Love 2

This matchmaker is kind of an asshole, and that "event" looked like no fun at all. "Fun" can indeed mean getting together for drinks and dinners and whatnot, maybe some physical stuff that's not sex, and if that's what Melyssa is doing, that's her business. The matchmaker and Chantelle were on some mean girl shit.

Geneva is just not that bright.

Arzo is indeed rough-looking. Her boyfriend's name is Yesterday?

Apparently, Yestirday is his rap name.

https://soundcloud.com/yestirday

Edited by Chrissytd
Sometimes, that tired excuse says more about the person uttering it. Mica, more than anyone else, never takes herself seriously.

The problem is, it's not a tired excuse.  I'm a tiny bit darker than Mica and believe me, even if you don't take yourself seriously, you do benefit from privilege.  

I really do feel for Daisy, I still don't like her but I feel for her because she really does have to work.  She can't just take a sick day.  She has to put on a brave face or else her career disappears.  I hope she's able to rest and take care of herself.