Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: What's Up Doc?

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I just re-watched the 11th season episode 'Fear'.  It was the one where the woman had two of her three children jump out of the 3rd story window because she thought her ex-husband was breaking in to kill all of them.  It was so sad, and although I've seen the episode several times over the years, I always have to look away when the girls just look back at their mother and obediently just step out the window.  I can't remember that far back, but I'm wondering if I knew way back when I saw it for the first time that the experience wasn't happening like the woman thought it was.  The very young actors who played the children did very well.  I don't know how experienced they were at the time, but it couldn't have been easy working with their 'mother' being so crazed and hysterical. I'm assuming that before and after the filming they got a lot of 'now I'm going to be yelling and screaming, but I'm really a very nice person'.

• Love 3
On 4/4/2020 at 4:44 PM, marceline said:

You're so right and it's really jarring since I'm just letting episodes autoplay. There's a real difference in the version of Abby that shows up in S6 and the one in S7 onward. I'm still confused at the purpose of Malucci. What was he supposed to bring to the table? Then there's the utterly dreary Cleo, the pitiful relationship between Weaver and Legaspi, and I had completely forgotten that Abby and Luka's first date ended in manslaughter.

Malucci was the cowboy who rubbed other doctors up the wrong way. One of the problems with his character I think was: it was too much, too in-your-face, way too obnoxious at first - and then he sort of just got shunted away for a bit of occasional light relief. Badly handled. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/20/2020 at 2:39 PM, Hiyo said:

I never really saw him as any type of replacement for Doug.

To me he was the show fuck-up who never got better at his job (according to what we were told) and truthfully, I never felt like he really brought much, so I wasn't too sad to see him go.

Some of the goof characters in later seasons were far more incompetent than Malucci and eventually got 'redeemed'. He was actually quite talented in some ways - at least in early episodes when they wanted to show these aspects - it was jumping to assumptions and being careless that was his biggest issue. Later characters like Archie were just plain incompetent full stop.

One interesting direction I think they could have gone in was have him interacting more with Benton - they had a really interesting dynamic at times, I think Malucci kind of respected him in his own weird way but couldn't help pushing his buttons. Obviously they had that massive dust-up after Peter's nephew is brought in, but a few episodes later they're working well together on patients. I thought it would have been interesting to see that newly-humbled Malucci working with him and maybe learning some things from him. One of the highlights of his arc was seeing him learn from Dr Lawrence.

Edited by outsmartabullet
  • Love 1
On 1/15/2020 at 11:09 PM, Growsonwalls said:

It was weird to see Elizabeth Mitchell in her not-very-hot romance with Kerry, because I thought she had amazing chemistry with the other LOST characters.

Look at the eye-fucking in this scene:

I think it suited the relationship, it was meant to be awkward, strained, unequal etc. It felt more like she was trying to help Kerry to accept herself more than anything else.

• Love 2

With regards to Malucci...I guess it was somewhat realistic he never got a "redemption" arc, since not everyone in real life gets that? Some people just squander whatever talents they have. Either way, I wasn't really all that sad to see him go.

• Love 1

I think a Malucci redemption arc would have been more realistic than the Archie rewriting we got. They really over did the "Archie is an idiot" part at the beginning (he was get fired incompetent) but then they flip him to competent (with no real foundation for that) and he goes on to be a solid doctor. I liked him fine at the end but before that was just awful

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I think a Malucci redemption arc would have been more realistic than the Archie rewriting we got. They really over did the "Archie is an idiot" part at the beginning (he was get fired incompetent) but then they flip him to competent (with no real foundation for that) and he goes on to be a solid doctor. I liked him fine at the end but before that was just awful

They also did some stupid crap with him, I really felt bad for Scott Grimes. I mean he comes off of Band of Brothers in a fantastic role and then turned him into a pot smoking, everyone got me medical school, if I don't stay a doctor, my father is going to cut me off crap. He did come to enjoy him as a character in the last 2 years of the show, but my GOD! The stuff they did, even him revealing his life to Abby after his father died. Just was: "What the hell is all of this?" I think ER felt bad the crap they put Grimes through and I think there was talk he was ready to walk and NBC didn't want that, so they went out of their way to "redeem" Archie's character. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, readster said:

They also did some stupid crap with him, I really felt bad for Scott Grimes. I mean he comes off of Band of Brothers in a fantastic role and then turned him into a pot smoking, everyone got me medical school, if I don't stay a doctor, my father is going to cut me off crap. He did come to enjoy him as a character in the last 2 years of the show, but my GOD! The stuff they did, even him revealing his life to Abby after his father died. Just was: "What the hell is all of this?" I think ER felt bad the crap they put Grimes through and I think there was talk he was ready to walk and NBC didn't want that, so they went out of their way to "redeem" Archie's character. 

he did get some over the top stuff, including all his sperm donation kids showing up. Thankfully he hung in there because his storylines did get better and I even liked the one with him performing with Hellah at Christmas. I just don't know why they thought it made sense to make him start out so stupid. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

he did get some over the top stuff, including all his sperm donation kids showing up. Thankfully he hung in there because his storylines did get better and I even liked the one with him performing with Hellah at Christmas. I just don't know why they thought it made sense to make him start out so stupid. 

The multiple kids I thought was complete stupid, because not only did ALL his kids get together. They then tried to have it where NONE of the parents but one couple knew who he was. The soccer game situation ranks up there with WTF? First of all, that Arch would just show up like that when his kids lesbian couple had NO IDEA who he was and I get what the doctors/nurses were trying to tell the kid he had to tell his mothers who he was. However, at that point you wanted to go: "Sorry mame, but he is actually your son's biological father, a.k.a sperm donor. Because at that point they were acting like if Morris got sent to jail it would be funny. 

• Love 1
On 4/8/2017 at 8:25 PM, callie lee 29 said:

I always wish they had done an episode about the background characters: Haleh, Lydia, Jerry, Malik, Bob...

I swore when I started reading this ENTIRE THREAD (upon suggestion of a few folks here, since I started my own binge not too long ago and after finishing Season 7 two days ago, decided to read this whole thread through S7 since apparently once POP started its 2017 reboot a lot of people started posting making it almost "in order" (can't think of the right word for that) ...

BUT I had to quote this and comment because I was JUST thinking this same thing after reaching the halfway mark of the show. We've gone through SO many major "regular cast" changes (obviously, a few of the originals are still there, but from what I can remember more of them will start to drop by the wayside soon and there are at least one if not more "main doctors/cast" overhauls coming ... yet personal favorites of mine like Malik, Haleh, Lydia and Connie are characters I'd LOVE to see get an episode or arc to themselves. 

Okay, then. Back to watching and reading here and eventually getting the two on the same page!

• Love 2
On 5/23/2020 at 12:10 AM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I swore when I started reading this ENTIRE THREAD (upon suggestion of a few folks here, since I started my own binge not too long ago and after finishing Season 7 two days ago, decided to read this whole thread through S7 since apparently once POP started its 2017 reboot a lot of people started posting making it almost "in order" (can't think of the right word for that) ...

BUT I had to quote this and comment because I was JUST thinking this same thing after reaching the halfway mark of the show. We've gone through SO many major "regular cast" changes (obviously, a few of the originals are still there, but from what I can remember more of them will start to drop by the wayside soon and there are at least one if not more "main doctors/cast" overhauls coming ... yet personal favorites of mine like Malik, Haleh, Lydia and Connie are characters I'd LOVE to see get an episode or arc to themselves. 

Okay, then. Back to watching and reading here and eventually getting the two on the same page!

I really love how Zadro ( I think?) shows up in the last episode.

• Love 1

I just watched the season 12 episode 'Blame it on the rain' where Kerry sends Jerry out in the storm to get a birthday gift for her Henry to take to a party.  He doesn't want to go, but Kerry sends him out anyway and doesn't believe the others when they tell her that he's been struck by lightning several times and is terrified of storms. The scene where he comes back and just stands there with a frozen look on his face and hands her a scorched bag.  She then pulls out a burned toy ('What the hell happened to King Funshine?!') and has to believe that he was struck by lightning (again!) when he says 'here's your change' and hands her a bunch of coins all fused together in a lump.  So funny! 

• Love 1

To Kerry, it was fine to have Jerry run her errand, but if another doctor or nurse had asked him (which they probably would not, knowing he is afraid of storms) and Kerry found out, she would have chewed them out. Which is basically why I never liked her. 

• Love 8

Hey y’all, newbie here; I’ve been lurking but finally got the courage to post. This show is relatively new to me. I turn 19 on June 4. My mom and I started watching this together a few months ago because she was feeling nostalgic and wanted to introduce me to a show she watched in high school, undergrad, and through her time in med school. She’s a gastroenterologist.

Anyway, I have a lot of thoughts about this show (I enjoy it most of the time; I enjoy the way earlier seasons the most). But we recently watched the episode the posters above mentioned where Kerry sends Jerry out to pick up a gift for a birthday party she forgot about.

This ticked me off because that is not Jerry’s job; he is not a gopher for the docs or nurses. His actual job is integral to the smooth running of the ER. He directs to open/proper rooms according to severity of injury; he mans the phones. He does lab sample runs and pickups; he deals with irate patients/parents of patients. He is not a personal assistant to the docs.

But Kerry has always got on my last nerve. She’s def not one of my fave characters.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/31/2020 at 4:54 PM, Claire85 said:

To Kerry, it was fine to have Jerry run her errand, but if another doctor or nurse had asked him (which they probably would not, knowing he is afraid of storms) and Kerry found out, she would have chewed them out. Which is basically why I never liked her. 

She was a grade-A hypocrite and of all the things I hated about her, that was the worst. I don't think there was anything that she blasted others for that she either had done or would do herself. 

I was so glad when she got a little comeuppance in that episode when a drug rep brought food and she went on and ON about how no one should eat it. This turned out to be good advice regardless, because everyone who ate it got food poisoning--including her, who of course ate it after telling everyone not to. 

Edited by Camille
  • Love 4
On 6/3/2020 at 11:08 PM, Camille said:

I was so glad when she got a little comeuppance in that episode when a drug rep brought food and she went on and ON about how no one should eat it. This turned out to be good advice regardless, because everyone who ate it got food poisoning--including her, who of course ate it after telling everyone not to.

Lol yes! 🤣 And Susan’s realization: “Oh my God, you ate the bagels??!”

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I just realized that I forgot to note the 20th anniversary of poor Lucy's murder (Valentine's Day) and on a happier note, Doug and Carol's 20th anniversary (I'm assuming they married soon after she joined him in Seattle.

• Love 1

I just watched the first episode again after getting Hulu. I forgot the "fiance" reference for Carol. Was that just forgotten later?

I told my 26 year old daughter, this show might be dated in some ways because of the time but it's timeless in others. I forgot Carter was in from the beginning and I loved all the interactions. I plan on seeing all Hulu has to offer but am glad ER is still on.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, debraran said:

I forgot the "fiance" reference for Carol. Was that just forgotten later

No, I'm pretty sure that was Tag. Benton mentioned that the guy was an orthopod and that was Tag's specialty.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Camille said:

No, I'm pretty sure that was Tag. Benton mentioned that the guy was an orthopod and that was Tag's specialty.

I thought he came after she dumped  Ross again later in show 

Edited by debraran
4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

No, Tag was there in season 1, form early on.

Yep, Benton mentions Carol's fiancé, the former OSU football player and orthopod, to Carter as he is giving him a tour in the pilot.  Tag was then recurring throughout the first season and, of course, never seen again after leaving Carol at the altar.

• Love 1

Speaking of the pilot, the hospital and lounge, etc., looked so different because it was filmed in an actual abandoned hospital, called Linda Vista Hospital, in Los Angeles since there was no time to build sets for the pilot.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm starting it again (maybe not all but first seasons) So Carol dated Tag and so was Ross before? Why blame him in part for suicide or have him feel guilty?

Funny how memory is, I remembered that she dated him (not shown) he was a player, then she dates Tag, she attempts suicide and fails (because of fans) and then wont go with Doug because it's not healthy. She accepts proposal from Tag and then doesn't marry him. Inbetween Doug and her date, hiding it at times. Kind of sad I always felt that she would do something like that and then still end up with him. I know it was romantic to many but to be that attached. I remember in "real life" a guy who became mildly famous singer, broke up with a girl I know. She attempted suicide and he said that was kiss of death of any possible getting back together. She was too fragile and he was scared.

It was a long show, a long time ago, but timeless in many ways. I'm sure the pieces will fit back soon enough. I remember the last years better. Seeing Benton show some warmth with patients and Carter's newness makes me smile. ; )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, debraran said:

Carter's newness makes me smile. ; )

I first knew of NW when I watched Falling Skies and The Librarian movies/show in elementary and middle school.

i couldn’t believe seeing him when I first started watching ER! 😆 He was only a few years older than I am now in season 1.

Carter was so eager (which often got him into trouble), but I was kinda sad to watch him lose that wonder and spark as the years went (but yes I understand growing up and traumas experienced shape how personality and character and beliefs change and evolve).

i have a feeling I’m on the younger side here, and seeing those early seasons with beepers everywhere and cellphones not ubiquitous (among a lot of other “signs of the times”) got me thinking, “wow, this is wild!” or “seriously? It was like that??” 🤪

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 6/5/2020 at 7:19 PM, debraran said:

I'm starting it again (maybe not all but first seasons) So Carol dated Tag and so was Ross before? Why blame him in part for suicide or have him feel guilty?

Funny how memory is, I remembered that she dated him (not shown) he was a player, then she dates Tag, she attempts suicide and fails (because of fans) and then wont go with Doug because it's not healthy. She accepts proposal from Tag and then doesn't marry him. Inbetween Doug and her date, hiding it at times. 

We never got an exact timeline,. but, yes, Carol dated Ross some time before she got together with Tag.  By the time of the pilot, Carol was engaged to Tag. so it seems like it would've had to have been a year or more in the past.  I don't think Carol's suicide attempt had anything to do with Doug in her mind; as she told him when he asked.  I think that Doug behaved badly when he was dating Carol and, being a decent human being down deep, he regretted it and those feelings came to the fore when she attempted suicide.  It was meant to show how much he cared about her.

As for Carol and Tag, she never formally cheated on his with Doug, but they did share a kiss which she told Tag about.  He realized at that point that she still had strong feelings for Doug and she would never love him as much as he loved her.

On 6/5/2020 at 7:37 PM, Birdie said:

I i have a feeling I’m on the younger side here, and seeing those early seasons with beepers everywhere and cellphones not ubiquitous (among a lot of other “signs of the times”) got me thinking, “wow, this is wild!” or “seriously? It was like that??” 🤪

Yep, having finished my residency just a few years before ER premiered, I can vouch for the beeper.  When taking call away from the hospital, everyone carried a pocket full of quarters to use in a pay phone if we got paged.  Nowadays, there are no pay phones.  There were portable phones, they cost a fortune and were so big, they were either installed in the car or carried in a briefcase.  I only knew one doctor who actually had one.  It was years before cell phones got small enough and cheap enough that everyone could afford one.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

We never got an exact timeline,. but, yes, Carol dated Ross some time before she got together with Tag.  By the time of the pilot, Carol was engaged to Tag. so it seems like it would've had to have been a year or more in the past.  I don't think Carol's suicide attempt had anything to do with Doug in her mind; as she told him when he asked.  I think that Doug behaved badly when he was dating Carol and, being a decent human being down deep, he regretted it and those feelings came to the fore when she attempted suicide.  It was meant to show how much he cared about her.

As for Carol and Tag, she never formally cheated on his with Doug, but they did share a kiss which she told Tag about.  He realized at that point that she still had strong feelings for Doug and she would never love him as much as he loved her.

I like that view better than some reasons the fans had. It makes more sense. To have Doug be that toxic (and in some ways he was) and then be with him later, was more disturbing. For Doug to see he loved her and for her to eventually see she was to be with him, was better. I didn't like the year she stayed on and he left, but contracts are contracts and we could have rewritten it a bit better, but the ending was nice.

13 hours ago, doodlebug said:

they were either installed in the car or carried in a briefcase.

I knew about car phones, but phones carried in briefcases?? Nope. File this under TIL for me 😆. And I remember in an episode where Benton is arguing with Jackie about putting their mother in a nursing home (so season 1? 2?), and he’s paged; he fishes a quarter out of his pocket to make a call from a pay phone.

And I remember an episode where Susan has a patient who is perpetually on his cellphone during her first run on the show; the thing reminded me a brick you’d find in our fireplace.

Re: Doug and Carol. I’ve never been a huge Clooney fan, so I was never a huge fan of Doug. But I also didn’t like Doug’s character. I was always thinking, “Carol, girl, get yourself together. You can do way better. Stop pining for him.” This may be an unpopular opinion. Also, Clooney’s head waggle habit...ugh 🙄. I enjoyed Tag; he actually was a stand up guy, civil and friendly towards Doug until Doug stormed this party (wedding rehearsal? Engagement party?), and actually grabbed Carol’s wrist saying all macho, “She’s comin’ with me.” Where to, Neanderthal Doug? You going to club her over the head and drag her back to your cave?

10 hours ago, Birdie said:

I knew about car phones, but phones carried in briefcases?? Nope. File this under TIL for me 😆. And I remember in an episode where Benton is arguing with Jackie about putting their mother in a nursing home (so season 1? 2?), and he’s paged; he fishes a quarter out of his pocket to make a call from a pay phone.

I knew a doc who had one, it was essentially the same kind they installed in cars back then, it was heavy, too.  She had a couple of sons who were active in various sports and she spent a lot of time watching them play.  She found it more convenient than having to run to the car to use the phone there or to drive to find a pay phone when she got paged.

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 6/6/2020 at 10:42 PM, doodlebug said:

As for Carol and Tag, she never formally cheated on his with Doug,

I think she did. When she admitting to kissing Doug, she also admitted to having slept with him at another time. This was offscreen, presumably before the pilot.

On 6/7/2020 at 12:19 PM, Birdie said:

civil and friendly towards Doug until Doug stormed this party (wedding rehearsal? Engagement party?), and actually grabbed Carol’s wrist saying all macho, “She’s comin’ with me.” Where to, Neanderthal Doug? You going to club her over the head and drag her back to your cave?

It was their engagement party and as much as I loved Doug, he's damn lucky that all Tag did was punch him for that.

It was a nice bit of Reality Ensues. How many times have we seen someone Race For Love and their love interest returns their sentiment and falls into their arms and they walk/run off happily ever after?

Nope, not this time. The girl screams at him to leave her alone and the fiancé punches him, which is exactly what would happen if a guy crashed his ex's--an ex whose heart he broke, no less--engagement party.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 2
(edited)

Apologies for barging in with a comment on a mid-run episode but since I've been bingewatching the whole series, I've tried to stay quiet so when it's all done I can read the entire section of this thread where people were "watching together" when it ran on POP. 

So, while I know the general assessment is that the show kinda started to fall apart around Season 9 and beyond, I am still in for the long haul (I believe the Africa episodes are coming) ... I am through all but the final episode of Season 9 right now ... being in self-stay-at-home mode as both my husband and I both have several health factors that are iffy, with the occasional supermarket-etc. run in our masks et al. 

Anyway, if this has been addressed on here, PLEASE feel free to point me to the spot ... but I'm at the period where Pratt and Gallant get beat up by the policeman (Meredith's dad!!!) at Doc Magoos after the discovery of the bodies in the kitchen ... and they're now treating him for serious injuries in the ER and Pratt actually comments about the cop having stood with his foot on his neck. Wow. Heavy scene in any circumstances but the timing of my watching it for the first time now is weird. 

I am very much going to miss this show when I finish up (though, yeah, I have about 120-plus episodes left). 

ETA: Like a few new posters here, I'm doing this on Hulu which I LOVE because NO COMMERCIALS!!!!! True luxury bingewatching!

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 2
(edited)

I know Carol wasn’t supposed to stay and her suicide attempt had to be lessened. The fact she said it wasn’t Doug but lots of other things really didn’t ring true.  Her fiancé saw nothing, her mom, no one? The way the show played it was Doug was the end all and no one could compete. When she wanted to adopt I felt rightly that a red flag should have went off. Her suicide attempt was serious, not a cry for attention.  8 wks later she is back to work. Was that at all realistic for her job? The show did a decent job it seemed for most things but that seemed rushed.  I guess wanting Carol which was a good idea, made the suicide less important.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Pratt and Gallant get beat up by the policeman (Meredith's dad!!!) at Doc Magoos after the discovery of the bodies in the kitchen ... and they're now treating him for serious injuries in the ER and Pratt actually comments about the cop having stood with his foot on his neck.

Gallant is a fave character for me. He (and Lucy...I know I know 😜) reminds me a lot of myself; perfectionist, eager, rule-following people pleasers.

That experience with the cops caused so much conflict within him, and my heart felt for him. Coming from a military family through and through, he was raised with people who took their vow to protect and serve seriously. And he took his own vow seriously when he joined the army. 

When they’re initially pulled over, he tries to comply and explain who they are, where they work, etc. because he believes if he’s respectful and honest and calm, this “misunderstanding” will be resolved. 

And if I’m not mistaken, doesn’t he try to brush off Pratt’s claim of racism at first? It’s been a minute since I watched this epi. Like he doesn’t want to believe men in uniform who’ve pledged to keep people safe (like he did by joining the military) could act this way and treat other human beings this way.

He just looked so torn up throughout the episode.💔 

• Love 2

It was a nice bit of Reality Ensues. How many times have we seen someone Race For Love and their love interest returns their sentiment and falls into their arms and they walk/run off happily ever after?

Another good example was when he shows up at her place in the middle of the night while Tag is there(and shirtless! Good job, Carole)...and she chases him to the train station to tell him off. Sadly, this video has some issues towards the end...

I think she did. When she admitting to kissing Doug, she also admitted to having slept with him at another time. This was offscreen, presumably before the pilot.

Yes, it was before her suicide attempt, so before the pilot.

(edited)
4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Another good example was when he shows up at her place in the middle of the night while Tag is there(and shirtless! Good job, Carole)...and she chases him to the train station to tell him off. Sadly, this video has some issues towards the end...

Yes, it was before her suicide attempt, so before the pilot.

When episode was this, later in the year? It always seemed mainly sexual between her and Doug, he'd act like a jerk, sleep around like he couldn't help himself, get her in trouble at work and cock his head to the side and smile and she'd slowly melt. That always bothered me since she was a strong and smart woman but he seemed to grow up later. I don't see how Tag hung with her since she was never there 100%, she just thought she should be. As I said earlier, I never bought the "No Doug" reason re suicide attempt, she slept with him before her attempt and it seemed like she felt life wouldn't go on with the same passion with anyone but him. I loved when she chased him to the train, said the stuff about 22 year olds and someone turning his head, but I knew she didn't mean it in her heart, that was the only thing there and would it ever not be?  For many women in real life, it destroys many years of their lives before the rose colored glasses come off. On TV, they get George Clooney, big house on the water and twins. ; )

Edited by debraran

The episode at the train stop is from season 1, episode 4. The scene with Tag is from season 1, episode 9.

To be fair, it takes them a while to become a couple on the show, and Doug has grown up a bit by then.

• Love 1
On 6/13/2020 at 7:26 AM, Hiyo said:

To be fair, it takes them a while to become a couple on the show, and Doug has grown up a bit by then.

Also a nice bit of Reality Ensues, in that they both had to get their acts together before they could make it work.

• Love 2

I have been watching the POP reruns in the mornings, I normally don't watch the later seasons but man today is Pratt's death and he grew on me, I cry almost as much as I do for Dr. Greens death, but his also had the song which just throws me over the edge....

• Love 4
2 hours ago, TigerLily20 said:

I have been watching the POP reruns in the mornings, I normally don't watch the later seasons but man today is Pratt's death and he grew on me, I cry almost as much as I do for Dr. Greens death, but his also had the song which just throws me over the edge....

Pratt's death really got to me the first time I watched it--the look of fear in his eye that came from having the medical knowledge to know what was happening. I grew to like his character and it made me sad.

In reruns the scene where the wheel him out and Frank's reaction touched me. 

Dr. Green and the song get me every time too.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, TigerLily20 said:

Yeah, I missed the last three seasons during the original run, so I’ve been catching up via PopTV. Today pretty much wrecked me. 

• Love 1
On 6/18/2020 at 11:00 AM, RedbirdNelly said:

Frank's reaction touched me.

Yes 😢

And this just reminded me of how after Frank had his heart attack and was in the Cath Lab, and Kaysen tries to get Pratt to leave. Frank tells Pratt, “Please stay” or “Don’t go”, something like that, and Pratt says something like, “My patient wants me to stay, so I’ll be staying.” Guh. My heart.

I think Frank found comfort in both Pratt being a great doctor and simply because he was somebody familiar who Frank knew he could trust. And Pratt putting his foot down in the best interests of HIS patient - not Kaysen’s patient, not anybody else’s. Frank was Pratt’s patient, and Pratt was going to see that the best was done for him.

• Love 4
On 6/18/2020 at 9:00 AM, RedbirdNelly said:

In reruns the scene where the wheel him out and Frank's reaction touched me. 

Frank was an asshole; I hate men like him, so I hate characters like him since TV asks us to find them amusingly crusty, and I risk permanent strain rolling my eyes at the episode where they try to do the yeah, he's awful to everyone else, but look how he is with his family - and here's a special needs child if you're not buying it - storyline, but even assholes sometimes have their moments, and Frank's connection with a dying Pratt is a lovely one. 

My favorite Frank scene remains Neela telling him about himself after one of his usual sexist, racist, and homophobic remarks:  "You're a horrible man.  Do you think it's pleasant being greeted every day with a fusillade of homophobic, xenophobic ranting from a bigot?  From now on, I expect nothing from you except silence, blissful silence."  Which the show tries to paper over with the heart attack and "family man" revelation.  I am not buying.  Then or now.  Fuck that guy.

But I can still appreciate the Frank/Pratt scene as part of him.  Frank is still a congenital jackass, but that scene is genuine and touching.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Frank was an asshole; I hate men like him, so I hate characters like him since TV asks us to find them amusingly crusty, and I risk permanent strain rolling my eyes at the episode where they try to do the yeah, he's awful to everyone else, but look how he is with his family - and here's a special needs child if you're not buying it - storyline,

But I can still appreciate the Frank/Pratt scene as part of him.  Frank is still a congenital jackass, but that scene is genuine and touching.

Yes, also the story that Frank is telling Pratt about Nam and his troop was also very sad, especially at the end when he goes: "You are who they could have been." However, I agree, his behavior was just terrible. So, he makes these comments, is an asshole to people, but hey, he was a great cop, husband father to a daughter with downs syndrome. Umm... sorry that doesn't work. Even when Frank's wife talks about how much Frank talks about everyone in such positive light don't add up. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Frank was an asshole; I hate men like him, so I hate characters like him since TV asks us to find them amusingly crusty, and I risk permanent strain rolling my eyes at the episode where they try to do the yeah, he's awful to everyone else, but look how he is with his family - and here's a special needs child if you're not buying it - storyline, but even assholes sometimes have their moments, and Frank's connection with a dying Pratt is a lovely one. 

My favorite Frank scene remains Neela telling him about himself after one of his usual sexist, racist, and homophobic remarks:  "You're a horrible man.  Do you think it's pleasant being greeted every day with a fusillade of homophobic, xenophobic ranting from a bigot?  From now on, I expect nothing from you except silence, blissful silence."  Which the show tries to paper over with the heart attack and "family man" revelation.  I am not buying.  Then or now.  Fuck that guy.

thank you. I agree he was a jerk and the crusty guy with a heart of gold thing is over done. But with you in that there were some good moments and kudos to the actors who helped sell that bond as being true. I've certainly watched a lot of poorly written/acted shows that try to toss on a moving moment and it doesn't ring true at all. ER had me willing to ignore the parts that don't add up. 

• Love 1

So it’s almost 6 AM here, and I’ve been up since 5. The rerun at this hour is The Match Game.

First, I forgot how much I miss Raul, Shep’s firefighter partner. I liked the trio of friendship he, Shep, and Carol had when they were doing the ride along storyline. 

Second, really Carter? You couldn’t wait until your shift ended to grab a drink and celebrate with Harper? 🙄

Third, was it ever explained why Carol was so adversarial toward Jeannie when Jeannie first started in the ER? Was it just because Carol didn’t think Jeannie took initiative and was always waiting for directives or waiting for approval before she acted? Because in this episode, Carol “accidentally” sprays Jeannie with a shower faucet (and laughs about it) and laughs at her misfortunes when dealing with Hugo. I found that very petty.

1 hour ago, Birdie said:

Third, was it ever explained why Carol was so adversarial toward Jeannie when Jeannie first started in the ER? Was it just because Carol didn’t think Jeannie took initiative and was always waiting for directives or waiting for approval before she acted? Because in this episode, Carol “accidentally” sprays Jeannie with a shower faucet (and laughs about it) and laughs at her misfortunes when dealing with Hugo. I found that very petty.

I can’t remember it being explained but think it was all of your points, plus she resented the PA role and thought it was taking away responsibilities from the nursing staff. Carole always had a chip on her shoulder. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Espy said:

I can’t remember it being explained but think it was all of your points, plus she resented the PA role and thought it was taking away responsibilities from the nursing staff. Carole always had a chip on her shoulder. 

Yep, Carol seemed resentful of any women who came to the ER and had more education and authority than the nurses.  Remember how she was from the same neighborhood as Maggie Doyle and seemed astounded that anyone from that background could've gotten into med school?  And how crappily she treated Maggie when she first started?   Carol was really not a very nice person, it's hard to see how she was so popular with her coworkers.

• Love 6
On 7/8/2020 at 11:16 AM, doodlebug said:

Carol seemed resentful of any women who came to the ER and had more education and authority than the nurses.

I don't think that's true and if anything, that's why I found her clashes with Jeanie and Maggie quite contrived. She and Susan were best friends and she got along fine with Elizabeth and Anna and there was never any indication that she resented any of them.