Type keyword(s) to search

The Closer - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A little while back I asked which wife Provenza married twice -- it's whomever was number two and four (so, not Liz, as she was the original).  Lifetime clearly has some programming hours to fill and/or this is doing well in the ratings for syndication, because I came across a season one episode tonight.  In it, Provenza compares Brenda's nagging phone call to that of his ex-wife; Andy asks which one, and he says, "Number two.  And number four.  I forgot how annoying she was and married her again."

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, raven said:

Another thing I liked about the Round File is that Baxter's son, while harsh, isn't portrayed as a total ass.  He says his father was always busy and never there.  Sometimes you end up reaping what you sow.  The lady faking the house selling was sad, but it could be that she was completely awful to her kids (I think she mentions kids).

Heh, the term I've always used is "circular file".

"Dumb Luck" is one of those wacky episodes that worked; the guest stars really threw themselves into their stereotypes (the buff, dumb hitman, though seen briefly, was funny); Brenda's OTT frustration with her squad in the hazsuits; said squad in the suits (except Provenza); the witness who needed his dental floss.  

I had forgotten that the guest stars were usually pretty good.   Last week we had "Ruby" with the child murderer and when he was crying after being beaten, I almost felt sorry for him (then remembered what he had done).  Then when we he feels safe again, he reverts back to murderous scumbag.  I thought the actor did a really good job.

I found myself more sympathetic to Gabriel then I remembered - at least they gave his character another layer besides "the guy who always goes by the book".   Of course it was wrong but at least they gave him one of the worst types of criminals to snap on.

I liked that about Baxter's son too. They easily could have made him a jerk who didn't give a crap about his father (kind of like the couple in Mom Duty) but they didn't. I really like that they did that. It isn't always the case they have crappy kids or kids too busy to come visit, sometimes they were crappy parents or never around. They mentioned another reason with one of the victim's daughter had died a year before he did or as the nurse said some lose everything family and friends before they run out of time.

I agree the guest stars really threw themselves into the stereotypes and they looked like they were having really fun along with the cast.  

Gabriel beating up the suspect it really was better then the him being a jerk about Daniels or getting mad at Brenda for not letting the murder suspect. If it had been anyone else but a child molester and murderer he probably never would have lost control. You can see the anger building in him while he listened to the crap the suspect was saying and then lost it.  He thought he got a confession until Brenda pointed out he got an admission and what would happen when the suspect got an attorney. It was clear he hadn't thought of that either. I really like Brenda asking Gabriel at the end if she'd be able to able to put him in another room with another Stimple would he be able to handle himself and he didn't know.

I really like that they show the squad having reactions to crimes their investigating. Its so easy to be jaded but seeing the squad frantically searching for Ruby, Brenda being sick at Marta's autopsy. Provenza jaded about the hooker murder in season one until he sees pictures of the victim dead and stabbed. The squads reaction to the murders in Homewrecker. Another good episode in that one I did feel bad for the murderer.       

9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

A little while back I asked which wife Provenza married twice -- it's whomever was number two and four (so, not Liz, as she was the original).  Lifetime clearly has some programming hours to fill and/or this is doing well in the ratings for syndication, because I came across a season one episode tonight.  In it, Provenza compares Brenda's nagging phone call to that of his ex-wife; Andy asks which one, and he says, "Number two.  And number four.  I forgot how annoying she was and married her again."

I couldn't remember which one it was either. All I knew was that it wasn't wife number one since Provenza later tells Pope he'll never retire because he promised his pension to his first wife.

• Love 3
On 8/25/2018 at 3:43 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I guess any other scenario would have involved someone rushing in to save Brenda, but that ending was all kinds of wrong.    

I like that she blew him away, just like when she was attacked in the first season she got away by pulling her gun.    Yes she's small but she's smart and kept her wits and gun about her.   The plot was out there but I can squint and say "well she's a cop and wouldn't expect he would attack a cop" though of course you know he's evil right away because he's SMOKING! lol

This was a good episode for the Brenda/Fritz relationship I thought.

• Love 3

The Marta episode with the parents trying to cover up for the murdering son was so involved, and convoluted.     When she figured out the father of the murderer was lying, and then she called Fritz to go to Mexico with her, just after the father thought his son had escaped was Brenda at her best.     When she had the little cretin confess about killing the little girl, and then she handed the police officer the birth certificate, I was so happy.   Seeing how getting the confession, and her knowing that the murderer would spend many years in prison in Mexico affected her was great acting and writing.    

I remembered the Ruby episode right before they arrested the killer, and knowing what would happen with Gabriel and the killer was not a good feeling.    If anyone asked for that though it was the child killer.    Taylor's solution to the Gabriel situation was brutal, but did get Gabriel off the hook.     I think it was the first big favor that Taylor did for Brenda, but I imagine it was mostly for Gabriel.     The latest episodes you can really see Taylor changing

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Monday, September 3, at 4pm CT on the new StartTV channel (replaces Decades), The Closer will begin airing 3 episodes per day, 7 days per week, starting with "The Pilot."

I hope y'all will still want to chat about some of those episodes with me.

• Love 2

I don't get that channel (I looked it up already, because it's going to be airing Cold Case, which is one of the other in the rare handful of crime dramas/procedurals I like), but at 3 episodes per day, 7 days per week, you'll be caught up with the Lifetime episodes in no time!  (And then shoot right past them.  Damn, that is a crazy number of episodes per week!  That's more than when Pop went crazy airing ER, and I couldn't even begin to keep up.)

• Love 1

Man, I’m glad The Closer finally made its way to Amazon. Syndication only seems to be showing Major Crimes, a great show in its own right, but I much prefer The Closer myself.

Edited by katie9918
  • Love 3

Oh, I’d forgotten that Fritz didn’t tell Brenda about his alcoholism, and am curious to see how that works out.  How the hell do you have enough "I don't drink" conversations with someone you date, move in with, and ultimately propose to without ever once continuing, "because I'm an addict"? 

I’m glad they gave him an unequivocal bad act (to be clear, not the alcoholism, the lack of disclosure so that trying to get a family plan for car insurance was a high quote because he had two DUIs, which Pope had to be the one to tell her), since they’d explored hers so thoroughly.  Not that he hadn’t done anything wrong until now, but it was more subtle – he treats her like a child sometimes (and, yeah, duh, since she acts like an overgrown toddler sometimes, but you either accept that or date someone else, not attempt to control her as would a parent of an actual toddler), he pushed the relationship forward at an accelerated pace out of insecurity/jealousy over Pope – while her flaws as a romantic partner were on full display. 

While it was definitely nice to a see a neurotic female lead with an accepting (well, mostly accepting) male partner instead of the usual reverse with the long-suffering or, worse, Stepford Wife woman subjugating herself to the heroic asshole that is her boyfriend/husband, it also risked making him a martyr to her selfishness.  I much prefer that he simply loves her, and accepts that the less-appealing parts of her are part of the deal – as untold number of women on TV have done with their male partners – and giving him his own real drawbacks helps with that.  So I'll be sure to tune in next week, as I don't remember this at all.

25 minutes ago, katie9918 said:

Man, I’m glad The Closer finally made its way to Amazon. Syndication only seems to be showing Major Crimes, a great show in its own right, but I much prefer The Closer myself.

No, The Closer is in syndication on Lifetime now, and will soon also be on Start TV.  Right now, Major Crimes is the only one of the two on broadcast syndication, though, yes.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh, I’d forgotten that Fritz didn’t tell Brenda about his alcoholism, and am curious to see how that works out.  How the hell do you have enough "I don't drink" conversations with someone you date, move in with, and ultimately propose to without ever once continuing, "because I'm an addict"? 

I’m glad they gave him an unequivocal bad act (to be clear, not the alcoholism, the lack of disclosure so that trying to get a family plan for car insurance was a high quote because he had two DUIs, which Pope had to be the one to tell her), since they’d explored hers so thoroughly.  Not that he hadn’t done anything wrong until now, but it was more subtle – he treats her like a child sometimes (and, yeah, duh, since she acts like an overgrown toddler sometimes, but you either accept that or date someone else, not attempt to control her as would a parent of an actual toddler), he pushed the relationship forward at an accelerated pace out of insecurity/jealousy over Pope – while her flaws as a romantic partner were on full display. 

While it was definitely nice to a see a neurotic female lead with an accepting (well, mostly accepting) male partner instead of the usual reverse with the long-suffering or, worse, Stepford Wife woman subjugating herself to the heroic asshole that is her boyfriend/husband, it also risked making him a martyr to her selfishness.  I much prefer that he simply loves her, and accepts that the less-appealing parts of her are part of the deal – as untold number of women on TV have done with their male partners – and giving him his own real drawbacks helps with that.  So I'll be sure to tune in next week, as I don't remember this at all.

No, The Closer is in syndication on Lifetime now, and will soon also be on Start TV.  Right now, Major Crimes is the only one of the two on broadcast syndication, though, yes.

Yes, the Closer is on Amazon Prime

• Love 1
On 9/1/2018 at 1:22 AM, Bastet said:

I much prefer that he simply loves her, and accepts that the less-appealing parts of her are part of the deal – as untold number of women on TV have done with their male partners – and giving him his own real drawbacks helps with that.  So I'll be sure to tune in next week, as I don't remember this at all.

I ended up watching the second half on Amazon and I'll just say I like how it was handled.  I also agree with the above; the show ran the risk of making Fritz too perfect (I mean, he had to pick up her parents and drive them around while she gave another vague excuse) so this was a good plot for the relationship, if we overlook that Fritz must have known the DUIs would come up when researching insurance.    I also didn't remember that she didn't know, for some reason I thought it came up when they were first dating but apparently not.

This was a good set of episodes.  In "Blindsided" the shooting came out of nowhere (I didn't remember it all) so that was a good surprise for me.   BTW I read that Kevin Bacon directed this episode.  I liked all of the stuff with Brenda's parents and the SWAT guys (the watching the TV stuff was fun); Brenda admitting that she was not OK because of everything she went through; Brenda just blurting out that she and Fritz are engaged.    It's also in this set that we get a fun moment with Pope ranting at Brenda and then saying "I didn't just say all that in front of your parents" which of course he was, ha!

"Lovers Leap" was a bit convoluted because of course Pope had recently had an affair with the married victim.  It was easy to peg the murderer because of the pepper spray though.   As somewhat out there as it was, I did like Brenda's recovery of the phone/laptop and Pope asking her to be sure she got them - that felt true to life.

As wacky as some of the plots could get, the show did a good with relationships.    Jon and Kyra had good chemistry, the casting of her parents was perfect, watching the squad work together - Brenda's not supposed to be having sugar and she takes a piece of Provenza's doughnut (which he sees) and he makes sure to finish it in a way that shows he's enjoying it while she watches, hee.   G.W. Bailey was underrated here; he could be grumpy cop, four ex-wives and all that, but he was a good cop and friend.

On 9/1/2018 at 12:49 AM, katie9918 said:

Syndication only seems to be showing Major Crimes, a great show in its own right, but I much prefer The Closer myself.

I really tried with Major Crimes because I liked Mary McDonnell as Sharon Raydor and I was glad to have the squad still on TV but I just couldn't with Rusty.  That character literally drove me off the show.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, raven said:

In "Blindsided" the shooting came out of nowhere (I didn't remember it all) so that was a good surprise for me.   BTW I read that Kevin Bacon directed this episode.  I liked all of the stuff with Brenda's parents and the SWAT guys (the watching the TV stuff was fun); Brenda admitting that she was not OK because of everything she went through; Brenda just blurting out that she and Fritz are engaged.    It's also in this set that we get a fun moment with Pope ranting at Brenda and then saying "I didn't just say all that in front of your parents" which of course he was, ha!

As soon as we saw Brenda with Behavioral Sciences, I got giddy, because I knew that meant it was the episode where Pope tells her she's not psychologically cleared to go back to work, she protests, "That's nuts!" and he responds, "According to the department shrink, so are you."  I also vividly remembered my favorite moment related to the shooting, which is watching the crime scene footage and seeing Pope dash out of his car and then just bend over in relief when he sees the carnage and that she's okay.  I had completely forgotten the two SWAT guys staying with them and her parents; that was funny.  Clay is just messing with him, but Fritz doesn't know that, so I like that his answer to Clay's "Why didn't you call and ask for my blessing?" is, "Brenda and I are adults."  THANK YOU. 

Kevin Bacon directed several episodes; the first was the season two finale.  He also directed one of the episodes with Brenda's niece Charlie (played by their daughter), so that one was a real family affair.  Jon Tenney directed an episode, too (and then directed several episodes of Major Crimes).

• Love 6

I love that scene with Pope arriving frantic at the crime scene. It fit well with his and Brenda's relationship. I love how Willie Ray was able to get all the information out of the SWAT guy. I love how upset the SWAT guy is by Brenda's remarks. She later assures him she didn't mean to hurt his feelings and that he'll tell Pope they went straight home. Both men congratulating them when they hear about the engagement. Willie Ray getting the both men to help her in the kitchen. Brenda worried about getting her purse back because it had her engagement ring. Flynn and Provenza flipping a coin to see who has to interview Brenda.  

• Love 5

I love Fritz's summing up the "suicide" ending with that sounds possible. "So, Henry gave himself a knockout drug, cleaned out the glass or buried the vial, walked quickly to the pool, fell, hit his head, knocked itself out, and then dragged himself into the water. Well, that sounds reasonable." Up until that point I was thinking the same thing and it was that someone finally said it. I know they were trying to make it sound it could be a suicide, accident or murder. But it makes no sense as a suicide or accident. I love Provenza 'tude when he's explain the FLARPL clearly one of his wives did that to him. Flynn guesses it was his second wife but it really was his fourth. Who also was his second wife so Provenza either misspoke or she learned from their last divorce to do that or was more upset this time around. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:39 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Marta episode with the parents trying to cover up for the murdering son was so involved, and convoluted.     When she figured out the father of the murderer was lying, and then she called Fritz to go to Mexico with her, just after the father thought his son had escaped was Brenda at her best.     When she had the little cretin confess about killing the little girl, and then she handed the police officer the birth certificate, I was so happy.   Seeing how getting the confession, and her knowing that the murderer would spend many years in prison in Mexico affected her was great acting and writing.    

That is my favorite part of the entire series. I remember watching the show the first time around assuming Brenda would just bring him back to LA and being shocked and impressed that instead Austin ends up in prison in Mexico. I've rewatched so many times. I just love watching Austin confess thinking he's completely beyond the reach of the US which he is. But it never once occurred to him that he should be worried about Mexico and their laws. His expression when Brenda reveals that Marta was born in Mexico and I love her remark about him fleeing to the country of his victim's birth. Brenda can't use his confession but Mexico can.  The smug asshole murdered Marta, went online to find someone he could accuse and fled the country gets ends up in Mexican prison. Couldn't happen to a better person.     

• Love 5

Brenda is a great character, but I would hate her in real life. She's smart and usually right (just like Pope described the Homeland Security auditor), but she doesn't care about anyone but herself.

I like Fritz, and I don't understand at all what he sees in Brenda. But that's love, I guess. I do wish they wouldn't "slurp" so much when they kiss; that sound really annoys me!

• Love 2

Detectives,

We created a new thread to talk about the progression of the characters from The Closer to Major Crimes.  If you would like to discuss the change in the characters or their future story lines, please head there.  While most of us have either seen both The Closer and Major Crimes or do not care about spoilers for MC, we do have viewers that are working their way through now.  They would like to see how the characters evolve.  Some posts have been moved to that thread.

Carry on!

• Love 2

I ended up finishing Season 3 on Amazon by watching "Next of Kin" - the two-parter where Brenda, her parents, Fritz, Provenza, Flynn and a suspect (Wesley) drive from Atlanta back to CA in a mobile home, and I'll just say it didn't annoy me as much as it did the first time, though really, Brenda and Fritz essentially kidnapping Wesley is ridiculous.  I won't go into too much detail for those who are waiting to watch it this week, but the character work really saved it, especially Willie Ray and Wesley.

• Love 1
On 9/2/2018 at 1:43 PM, andromeda331 said:

I love that scene with Pope arriving frantic at the crime scene. It fit well with his and Brenda's relationship. I love how Willie Ray was able to get all the information out of the SWAT guy. I love how upset the SWAT guy is by Brenda's remarks. She later assures him she didn't mean to hurt his feelings and that he'll tell Pope they went straight home. Both men congratulating them when they hear about the engagement. Willie Ray getting the both men to help her in the kitchen. Brenda worried about getting her purse back because it had her engagement ring. Flynn and Provenza flipping a coin to see who has to interview Brenda.  

That was a particularly bloody period for Priority Homicide/Major Crimes. Chief Johnson kills a rapist. The sniper going after the reporter, the guys who wanted their own Columbine at the shopping mall. And probably the worst thing that happened to the franchise the master criminal in Philip Stroh was introduced. But it also had Commander Taylor become their biggest booster even if we rarely saw Major Crimes take over other divisions like Special Victims

• Love 1
On August 27, 2018 at 9:39 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

This was S1E9: "Good Housekeeping." In the Mexican jail, right before Brenda turned down the path of no return with the teen rapist, Fritz cautioned Brenda that she should be sure of what she was doing. Afterward, he supported her completely. I wonder if he didn't know the details about the young rapist (framing the guy who then committed suicide, almost framing Alejandro, letting his father confess to his crime for him, etc.) until Brenda described them to the teen perp, and if that made Fritz more agreeable to Brenda's choices. I hate thinking about the kid in a Mexican prison about as much as I hate what he did.

The closing scene with Gabriel and the kittens, OTOH, is one of my all time favorites of all TV shows. I just noticed on this rewatch that he uses pillows to gently move and coral the kittens into the hallway. I love him gingerly hop-running to avoid stepping on any kittens while trying to catch them. And then patiently but firmly, "Hey! That's not a litter box!"

• Love 3

3.6 "Dumb Luck" just aired. I had never before noticed a comedic bit during the "riot" in the squad room near the end of the the WMD training. All of the squad are in hazmat suits except Brenda and Provenza, and Buzz is in a hazmat suit impersonating Tao. I think it's Buzz who uses the fire extinguisher to quell the "riot" of the "dumb" perps. That's probably not standard procedure and not a technique that they would be practicing, right? 

I missed almost all of last week's episodes, and looking at what's airing tonight, I am so glad I won't miss Cherry Bomb.  I don't think I ever like Brenda more than I do in that episode.  She who normally steamrolls over everyone and everything in her quest to bring a murderer to justice backs off beautifully with the rape victim when she realizes that girl truly doesn't have it in her right now to report it.  I remember "You've already done enough things you didn't want to do" and the girl showing up in her office in the end, now ready, and Brenda giving her a hug so clearly.  I can't wait to see it again.

• Love 3

Fritz wanting a big bag of cookies and the TV remote while dealing with his back is hilarious.  And Brenda reading Andy the riot act for sending the killer/victim flowers is interesting in hindsight, knowing she winds up doing the same thing - and stalking, like the victim's mom - to Philip Stroh down the road.  Along with her reminding the squad they don't get to pick which parts of the criminal justice system they uphold.  I wonder where in the series they decided Brenda losing sight of what she was brought in to do was going to be what ushered her out.

Going back to Next of Kin -- I only saw a few bits of part one and then part two, but I don't need to see it all to wonder how the Johnsons can take off with Grady.  He belongs to DCFS in L.A. County; he can't just up and go to Atlanta within a matter of days.  And did we ever hear about him again?  If not, maybe it's because they found out it wasn't going to happen.

Also, because I missed most of part one and all of several episodes before it, why are Will and Andy both injured in the wrist/hand/fingers/whatever?

And I usually find parental guilt trips, especially those trained on grown-ass children, overblown, but I was all in for Clay and Willie Ray's in this one -- Brenda makes them think she wants to come visit for Christmas, so they cancel plans with the entire rest of their family, and then find out it was all a ruse so she could chase a fugitive.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Fritz wanting a big bag of cookies and the TV remote while dealing with his back is hilarious.  And Brenda reading Andy the riot act for sending the killer/victim flowers is interesting in hindsight, knowing she winds up doing the same thing - and stalking, like the victim's mom - to Philip Stroh down the road.  Along with her reminding the squad they don't get to pick which parts of the criminal justice system they uphold.  I wonder where in the series they decided Brenda losing sight of what she was brought in to do was going to be what ushered her out.

Going back to Next of Kin -- I only saw a few bits of part one and then part two, but I don't need to see it all to wonder how the Johnsons can take off with Grady.  He belongs to DCFS in L.A. County; he can't just up and go to Atlanta within a matter of days.  And did we ever hear about him again?  If not, maybe it's because they found out it wasn't going to happen.

Also, because I missed most of part one and all of several episodes before it, why are Will and Andy both injured in the wrist/hand/fingers/whatever?

And I usually find parental guilt trips, especially those trained on grown-ass children, overblown, but I was all in for Clay and Willie Ray's in this one -- Brenda makes them think she wants to come visit for Christmas, so they cancel plans with the entire rest of their family, and then find out it was all a ruse so she could chase a fugitive.

No, Grady was never mentioned again. I wish they had said something. 

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I missed almost all of last week's episodes, and looking at what's airing tonight, I am so glad I won't miss Cherry Bomb.  I don't think I ever like Brenda more than I do in that episode.  She who normally steamrolls over everyone and everything in her quest to bring a murderer to justice backs off beautifully with the rape victim when she realizes that girl truly doesn't have it in her right now to report it.  I remember "You've already done enough things you didn't want to do" and the girl showing up in her office in the end, now ready, and Brenda giving her a hug so clearly.  I can't wait to see it again.

That was one of my favorite moments of Brenda. Steamrolling was correct and when she was talking to the poor girl I love that she finally backed off and said exactly the right thing. 

• Love 2

I love Brenda's remarks to the boy at the end about how he'd be just as popular in prison because he's the son of a man in the Sheriff's office as he was in school and their cherry picking club. Have fun in prison Darren! Its almost as awesome as Austin ended up in a Mexican prison. Once again it couldn't happen to a better person.

One thing that does always surprise me in this episode was Brenda didn't consider going after Darren's friends until Fritz said something. You'd think that was the first thing she would have thought of when she heard his friends were there. 

• Love 3

I loved what Brenda said to him too.     I think Brenda didn't even think they were accomplices until the girl came in to talk to her, and told her they were all in the next room.    It's been so long since I saw this episode that I wasn't sure until right at the end if it actually was suicide, or if the father was directly involved too.         

I've noticed that there are only episodes on Lifetime Friday nights now, and not on Wednesday on the Lifetime Movie channel.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Just watching Fresh Pursuit season 7 episode 10.

It was weird when LAPD and LAFD where the victims entire divisions would be out there standing around but with a Deputy's death no Sheriff's brass turned up. As a native of Crenshaw it was weird to have them empasize that the deputies where out of West Hollywood when for a large portion of Crenshaw and near the train tracks, as they showed a train the Sheriff's department patrols the unincorporated land west of Crenshaw while the LAPD patrols inside the city limits of most of  Crenshaw and east of Crenshaw until you run into Inglewood.

I think it was  Southland that had an episode where LASD deputies and LAPD officers where trying to move a body of a train versus pedestrian  accident  so they wouldn't be forced to wait pending an investigation

Oh, Brenda, Brenda, Brenda, so many episodes I love her and others I want to strangle her. Gutting Fritz's case in Live Wire was a horrible thing to do. Thank God its followed by Dial M for Provenza which is really hilarious. I skipped over Problem Child that episode freaks me out that kid was a psycho and it freaks me out that he was only 12 or 13 no kid should be that messed up. Sudden Death is another really good one poor Julio at the end breaking down because he gave his brother the hat. Live Wire is also the beginning of Gabriel being an ass. Him suggesting that Daniels should be transferred. What an ass. I love how Brenda not only doesn't do that but hands him the form instead and tells him to fill it out.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2
On September 22, 2018 at 2:20 AM, andromeda331 said:

Oh, Brenda, Brenda, Brenda, so many episodes I love her and others I want to strangle her. Gutting Fritz's case in Live Wire was a horrible thing to do. Thank God its followed by Dial M for Provenza which is really hilarious. I skipped over Problem Child that episode freaks me out that kid was a psycho and it freaks me out that he was only 12 or 13 no kid should be that messed up. Sudden Death is another really good one poor Julio at the end breaking down because he gave his brother the hat. Live Wire is also the beginning of Gabriel being an ass. Him suggesting that Daniels should be transferred. What an ass. I love how Brenda not only doesn't do that but hands him the form instead and tells him to fill it out.

I got to watch most of these episodes last week on the new Start TV. When Gabriel said, "And I've been thinking that it might be best if Daniels transferred out," I thought he was an idiot for saying that to his female boss more than that he was an ass, but more than anything, it seemed like character assassination. Other than that line and a few others in that story arc, Gabriel seemed like his last name was chosen because the character was pretty angelic. I suppose James Duff and/or Steve Kane just really wanted to have a male character in a team/office give voice to the idea that his ex girlfriend should be the one to leave and have the guy look like an ass—and kudos to Duff and Kane for being a decade ahead of the #MeToo movement. I just wish it wasn't Gabriel. But if it had been any of the other three guys—well, they were already saying asinine stuff, and I have to admit that the arrogance of that idea was most obvious coming from an otherwise stand up guy.

ETA: 4.15 "Double Blind" just aired. I doubt IRL that Gabriel and Daniels would be 1) that angry at each other after such a brief relationship, and 2) unable to keep that animosity quiet at work. But, plot. 

Also: Provenza catches the bouquet. I think he really is the next to get married.

E(again)TA:
At the end of 5.3 "Red Tape" Brenda speaks to Kitty for the last time when Kitty is alive and refers to her as a female:

[ smooches ] I wish i knew what you were thinking. But no matter what it seems like we're doing It's only because i love you so much. [ sniffles ] [ voice breaking ] oh, my poor little kitty. My poor, poor, poor, poor little girl. 

In the next episode, after Kitty has been cremated, Brenda is back to referring to her as "him" again. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I like stubborn women (hello, Sharon Raydor).  I am a stubborn woman.  We sometimes dig in our heels when we shouldn't; it's part of our charm. (Yes, insert smiley here.)  But Brenda in this bomb episode (Time Bomb) is ridiculous!  I like that while everyone else is freaking out about getting her out of there, Provenza just stays sitting, shaking his head like, “Damn fool.”

Provenza's sheer delight at being able to tell the "dropping bombs" poop joke is great.  But it's even better when he actually turns red with laughter reading that the dump on the principal's desk weighed almost a pound.  I like how appropriate everyone's reactions are, too - Gabriel and Andy are laughing, Will is smiling, and Brenda is just "Eww" and "Oh, for heaven's sake."

I love the gag reel from this episode, when Babs falls down the stairs and self-destructs.

I’m so bummed about the episodes no longer being repeated on Wednesdays, because I missed all of last week’s and that was a run of things I’d like to see again – we had the hilarious Dial M For Provenza, the one with Sanchez’s brother dying, plus the episode with that sociopathic kid that’s awful for the case but great for the “I don’t want kids” talk (being a child-free woman, I enjoy all rare opportunities to see my people on TV – even when, being Brenda, it has to be in coded language).  I think there's still the Sunday block, that's further behind this one, but it's football season, so I'm otherwise engaged on Sunday nights.  Oh, well; with this many episodes per week, they'll come back around before too long.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Without spoiling, I once commented in the Major Crimes forum that I liked the way women getting married were presented on this franchise - like, you know, normal women.  Practical, pragmatic, reasonable, etc. about the logistics, not "It's my day!" Bridezillas.  And it started with Brenda -- I love that she suggests just re-using the dress she already has from her first wedding.

And I like Kitty curled up in the pile of gowns on the bed.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Without spoiling, I once commented in the Major Crimes forum that I liked the way women getting married were presented on this franchise - like, you know, normal women.  Practical, pragmatic, reasonable, etc. about the logistics, not "It's my day!" Bridezillas.  And it started with Brenda -- I love that she suggests just re-using the dress she already has from her first wedding.

And I like Kitty curled up in the pile of gowns on the bed.

I really liked that part. Mostly because it fit with Brenda's character. So many women in TV shows suddenly become Bridezillas or want these big huge weddings that never really feel like the fit the character. Brenda not wanting to buy a wedding dress felt in character. Of course she'd rather use wear her old dress. When her parents balk at that (which I'm not too fond of let her wear what she wants) she looks over her aunt's, sister-in-law and mother's before choosing her mother. She had zero interest in going out and buying a new dress. I loved that she didn't want a lot of people at the ceremony just her parents and Fritz only wanting her sister. With a party at her house afterwards. It really seemed like what Brenda would want. And of course all her cake samples. The only thing that surprise me is that she didn't chose a very chocolatey cake. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I like stubborn women (hello, Sharon Raydor).  I am a stubborn woman.  We sometimes dig in our heels when we shouldn't; it's part of our charm. (Yes, insert smiley here.)  But Brenda in this bomb episode (Time Bomb) is ridiculous!  I like that while everyone else is freaking out about getting her out of there, Provenza just stays sitting, shaking his head like, “Damn fool.”

Provenza's sheer delight at being able to tell the "dropping bombs" poop joke is great.  But it's even better when he actually turns red with laughter reading that the dump on the principal's desk weighed almost a pound.  I like how appropriate everyone's reactions are, too - Gabriel and Andy are laughing, Will is smiling, and Brenda is just "Eww" and "Oh, for heaven's sake."

I love the gag reel from this episode, when Babs falls down the stairs and self-destructs.

I’m so bummed about the episodes no longer being repeated on Wednesdays, because I missed all of last week’s and that was a run of things I’d like to see again – we had the hilarious Dial M For Provenza, the one with Sanchez’s brother dying, plus the episode with that sociopathic kid that’s awful for the case but great for the “I don’t want kids” talk (being a child-free woman, I enjoy all rare opportunities to see my people on TV – even when, being Brenda, it has to be in coded language).  I think there's still the Sunday block, that's further behind this one, but it's football season, so I'm otherwise engaged on Sunday nights.  Oh, well; with this many episodes per week, they'll come back around before too long.

That did drive me crazy too. They were bombs! Not only does she have to be cared out the first time (although I do wonder if they could have grabbed the computer on the way out but maybe not.) but then she goes back into get her purse? Seriously? Once again it was a bomb. I think more then one. Then getting mad when they blew up the bombs. Again that's what they do. Another small detail annoys me about that episode is Fritz explaining to cops and detectives that the Columbine shooters Harris and Klebold had a much bigger plan but they act like its the first time they heard of it with Taylor skeptical about the plan failing. Ah, they planted bombs all over the cafeteria which should be common knowledge to the police.  

• Love 1

I saw "Layover" with the stewardesses flight attendants yesterday. It is better written than most scripted mystery-crime shows on today. The flight attendants' southern accents were bound to have significance but nothing was revealed until a pause in the events needed a little spice to keep the viewers' interest, like when one of them says, "I mean, believe me, being from the south I know her type. Like when she says 'thank you,' what she's saying is 'you know where you can stick that,'" which then ties into the B plot/ ongoing arc of who will be the new Chief of Police when she says "You know, some women, they just hit that glass ceiling, you know, and they just get so bitter. Mm-hm."

• Love 2
On 9/22/2018 at 4:39 AM, shapeshifter said:

ETA: 4.15 "Double Blind" just aired. I doubt IRL that Gabriel and Daniels would be 1) that angry at each other after such a brief relationship, and 2) unable to keep that animosity quiet at work. But, plot. 

aaargh this made me crazy.  I just finished "Live Wire" and Gabriel does come off worse (telling Brenda to transfer Daniels, ugh), but they both were so unprofessional it was ridiculous.  Arguing in the interrogation room, when they know everyone could be watching, is just a bridge too far for me.  It was really a character assassination moment for Gabriel on the show.    I find the forensic accounting stuff interesting so I liked Daniels, though we didn't know much about her.  I guess they wanted to thin the squad and couldn't figure out a better way to have Gina Ravera leave the show, which is just poor writing.  Yes, this still annoys me.

Commenting out of order, the season 4 opener "Controlled Burn" I thought was good, though obvious who the murderer was.  Jason O'Mara's Croelick is still creepy and threatening, the conundrum with the reporter is contrived but works somehow and Brenda's shock and fear at seeing the fire was a good touch.   I'm pretty sure the candlesticks come up again, but how can she not tell Fritz now?? 

On 9/22/2018 at 3:20 AM, andromeda331 said:

Gutting Fritz's case in Live Wire was a horrible thing to do. Thank God its followed by Dial M for Provenza which is really hilarious.

I agree with both comments but an odd segue.  The end of Live Wire has Fritz furious and storming off to talk to his sponsor and attend a meeting and in Dial M they seem OK.  I'm glad they are, I always liked them, so I guess Fritz got over it.  I like that Fritz called her out on it and that he accepted Brenda so I guess the show just didn't want to deal with relationship angst. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, raven said:

aaargh this made me crazy.  I just finished "Live Wire" and Gabriel does come off worse (telling Brenda to transfer Daniels, ugh), but they both were so unprofessional it was ridiculous.  Arguing in the interrogation room, when they know everyone could be watching, is just a bridge too far for me.  It was really a character assassination moment for Gabriel on the show.    I find the forensic accounting stuff interesting so I liked Daniels, though we didn't know much about her.  I guess they wanted to thin the squad and couldn't figure out a better way to have Gina Ravera leave the show, which is just poor writing.  Yes, this still annoys me.

Commenting out of order, the season 4 opener "Controlled Burn" I thought was good, though obvious who the murderer was.  Jason O'Mara's Croelick is still creepy and threatening, the conundrum with the reporter is contrived but works somehow and Brenda's shock and fear at seeing the fire was a good touch.   I'm pretty sure the candlesticks come up again, but how can she not tell Fritz now?? 

I agree with both comments but an odd segue.  The end of Live Wire has Fritz furious and storming off to talk to his sponsor and attend a meeting and in Dial M they seem OK.  I'm glad they are, I always liked them, so I guess Fritz got over it.  I like that Fritz called her out on it and that he accepted Brenda so I guess the show just didn't want to deal with relationship angst. 

ITA with all of your above comments/observations @raven. I guess Duff et al. had to make compromises to fit stories into a weekly 42+ minute show. Even with all the WTH? segues with Fritz and Brenda's relationship, great stories were told. And Thank You, Duff, for not doing any triangles of infidelity.

Last night "War Zone" aired here on Start TV. At the end of the episode Tyrell is abandoned by Brenda in his neighborhood to deadly street justice for his killing of a beloved elderly store owner and the owner's 8-year old grandson. This ending doesn't need any further episodes. It's interesting that Tyrell pleas not to be left alone, but he does not offer to revoke his immunity, which is never mentioned in the later episodes in which Brenda's decision is questioned.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

And Thank You, Duff, for not doing any triangles of infidelity.

Great point.  I was happy that any problems between Brenda and Fritz were not caused by a romantic third party and that whatever leftover feelings Brenda might have had for Pope were discarded when she committed to Fritz.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

This ending doesn't need any further episodes.

I haven't seen this ep in years, and will see it eventually since I'm re-watching but in the car when Brenda coolly stares straight ahead after they leave him and the others are silently freaking out - I remember that, a great scene.   Most other shows would have her turn around, appear doubtful or go back and get him. 

On a shallow note, I always liked Brenda's coats.   The one she was wearing at the start of Controlled Burn stands out because it's a gorgeous cream/off white coat and it should have been dirty because they were standing in a valley during a forest fire, heh.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, raven said:

I haven't seen this ep in years, and will see it eventually since I'm re-watching but in the car when Brenda coolly stares straight ahead after they leave him and the others are silently freaking out - I remember that, a great scene.   Most other shows would have her turn around, appear doubtful or go back and get him. 

I love when it's revealed that Gabriel is the (inadvertent) leak, and Brenda is all pissed off at him for the things he said to Ann about Brenda's actions, acting like he was just hunky dory with it at the time, and in the midst of being contrite and embarrassed about the leak, he lays into her about her revisionist history.  That was the whole thing, what Goldman knew and that no one would tell Sharon until Brenda finally did -- David asked her the $20 million question (amounting to "don't you think we should stick around and make sure this guy doesn't get killed?") and she told him no, we're going.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love when it's revealed that Gabriel is the (inadvertent) leak, and Brenda is all pissed off at him for the things he said to Ann about Brenda's actions, acting like he was just hunky dory with it at the time, and in the midst of being contrite and embarrassed about the leak, he lays into her about her revisionist history.  That was the whole thing, what Goldman knew and that no one would tell Sharon until Brenda finally did -- David asked her the $20 million question (amounting to "don't you think we should stick around and make sure this guy doesn't get killed?") and she told him no, we're going.

IRL, how long could they have stayed?

7 hours ago, raven said:

Not Detective Sanchez, he was all in with the Johnson Decision and when the leaker's identity became public and the others  following LT Provenza's lead forgave Sergeant Gabriel, LT Flynn was the now transfer out rider to his forgiveness, Julio did not forgive him

• Love 3

I do like that they rerun a few episodes each week, from the previous week, but I wish they still had the Wednesday reruns on the Lifetime Movie network too.

I'm not sure, but didn't Daniels and Gabriel actually date for a while before he told Brenda, at the diner with the French Toast, and the dismembered body in the dumpster?     

Columbine-I lived about 50 miles from there, and the actual plan wasn't publicized until a long time after the attack, so I can see that LAPD, not SWAT or anything else involving hostage or school shootings wouldn't know about the real aim of the attack, and how it failed.     I don't remember how long it was before the analysis of the attack came out, but it was a decent interval.    

Poor Babs, too bad she got no respect from Brenda, until she needed her.    However, the first bomb they found, with Sanchez carrying her out, followed by Brenda going back for her purse, and saying "Help, Me!", and getting carried out by the bomb tech was funny.        My question is on the roof, do they really say Good Luck to each other?   That seemed out of the blue, and awkward.     They never showed what Flynn, and the others did to get the propane bombs away, so I guess they just got them out of the line of fire from the shooter, and the shooter's plan was for him to detonate them by shooting the canisters?    

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm not sure, but didn't Daniels and Gabriel actually date for a while before he told Brenda, at the diner with the French Toast, and the dismembered body in the dumpster? 

I don't remember the exact dialogue, but when he informs her they make a point of the fact he's complying with department regulations in doing so -- that he was informing his superior within X time of a change in relationship status.  So they had been hanging out together outside of work for whatever time, and once they decided to start dating, he disclosed it pretty much right away.

• Love 2

Yay, Red Tape!  Just what I needed to bring this week to a close.  As I mentioned in Sharon’s thread in the Major Crimes forum, it’s her withering condescension and “Do you need help with the word ‘immediately’?” that had me liking her from jump, even though we’re supposed to hate her (I liked her even more in Strike Three, thanks especially to the conversation with Brenda as they all prepare to go to the funeral, and by the time Dead Man’s Hand ended, she was my new favorite character.  It’s no wonder TNT execs – the old, good ones – said, um, can you get her back? after her three-episode deal was up.)

Of course, as a civil rights lawyer, I am inevitably going to be on the side of an FID/PSB leader actually doing her job and holding cops accountable.  Especially if she’s played by Mary McDonnell.

I like what I call the dueling trench coats scene at the hospital, with Brenda in pink and Sharon in blue.  I just wish they hadn’t written Brenda as never having met her; it’s not at all necessary to the plot, and it’s just dumb, given the number of use of force incidents by someone in Priority Homicide/Major Crimes, including Brenda herself, Sharon would have investigated during Brenda’s tenure.  Sharon can’t possibly have just happened to be on vacation for all of them.

“It does – now that I have all the information you withheld” and everything that follows in the final exchange between Brenda and Sharon is wonderful.

As is:

“Got us both four months of sensitivity training.”
“Well that was a complete waste of time.”

Ha!  And go, young Sgt. Raydor standing up for herself and filing a complaint against George Andrews for his misogynistic behavior.  That went out on a BIG limb in those days (as we well know, it would be risky now).

They muddle the doctrines of transferred intent and felony murder in this one, but I let it go, because I love the introduction of Captain Raydor, and the handling of Kitty’s death.

I never stop being impressed by how well they handled pet ownership in general on this show, and specifically in this episode and the next how they handled having to let one go.  We hardly ever see that on TV; dead pets are usually played for laughs in off-screen, wacky hijinks ways.  It’s poignant how Fritz accepts reality and Brenda is on about second opinions, but she knows he’s right; it comes down to her “I can’t do it.”  Her transition from denial to resigned acceptance that she has to do right by Kitty no matter how awful it is for her is what so many pet owners have lived, but hardly ever seen portrayed on (scripted) TV.  Same with her wishing she could know what Kitty was thinking, and wanting Kitty to know that whatever it seems like they’re doing to her, it’s happening because Brenda loves her so much.  Major props to all responsible for that great scene, especially Kyra Sedgwick for diving into it despite having gone through it with her own cat not all that long before.

And poor Miss Kitty, the actor cat.  She looks so sick and unhappy (and drugged).  I doubt they’d have ever gone with this storyline if not for her impending demise, so while I’m glad for it, it’s hard to look at a cat who actually is in her final weeks, and visibly feeling it.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Yay, Red Tape!  Just what I needed to bring this week to a close.  As I mentioned in Sharon’s thread in the Major Crimes forum, it’s her withering condescension and “Do you need help with the word ‘immediately’?” that had me liking her from jump, even though we’re supposed to hate her (I liked her even more in Strike Three, thanks especially to the conversation with Brenda as they all prepare to go to the funeral, and by the time Dead Man’s Hand ended, she was my new favorite character.  It’s no wonder TNT execs – the old, good ones – said, um, can you get her back? after her three-episode deal was up.)

Of course, as a civil rights lawyer, I am inevitably going to be on the side of an FID/PSB leader actually doing her job and holding cops accountable.  Especially if she’s played by Mary McDonnell.

I like what I call the dueling trench coats scene at the hospital, with Brenda in pink and Sharon in blue.  I just wish they hadn’t written Brenda as never having met her; it’s not at all necessary to the plot, and it’s just dumb, given the number of use of force incidents by someone in Priority Homicide/Major Crimes, including Brenda herself, Sharon would have investigated during Brenda’s tenure.  Sharon can’t possibly have just happened to be on vacation for all of them.

“It does – now that I have all the information you withheld” and everything that follows in the final exchange between Brenda and Sharon is wonderful.

As is:

“Got us both four months of sensitivity training.”
“Well that was a complete waste of time.”

Ha!  And go, young Sgt. Raydor standing up for herself and filing a complaint against George Andrews for his misogynistic behavior.  That went out on a BIG limb in those days (as we well know, it would be risky now).

They muddle the doctrines of transferred intent and felony murder in this one, but I let it go, because I love the introduction of Captain Raydor, and the handling of Kitty’s death.

Its even funnier when you realize its also a call back to early season one when Brenda threatens to send Provenza to sensitivity training and Provenza just answers "again?"

I never stop being impressed by how well they handled pet ownership in general on this show, and specifically in this episode and the next how they handled having to let one go.  We hardly ever see that on TV; dead pets are usually played for laughs in off-screen, wacky hijinks ways.  It’s poignant how Fritz accepts reality and Brenda is on about second opinions, but she knows he’s right; it comes down to her “I can’t do it.”  Her transition from denial to resigned acceptance that she has to do right by Kitty no matter how awful it is for her is what so many pet owners have lived, but hardly ever seen portrayed on (scripted) TV.  Same with her wishing she could know what Kitty was thinking, and wanting Kitty to know that whatever it seems like they’re doing to her, it’s happening because Brenda loves her so much.  Major props to all responsible for that great scene, especially Kyra Sedgwick for diving into it despite having gone through it with her own cat not all that long before.

And poor Miss Kitty, the actor cat.  She looks so sick and unhappy (and drugged).  I doubt they’d have ever gone with this storyline if not for her impending demise, so while I’m glad for it, it’s hard to look at a cat who actually is in her final weeks, and visibly feeling it.

Same here. Its played exactly right. It always reminds me of well the last days of every dog my family ever had. Older and getting sick Fritz being right and they should put Kitty down but Brenda can't do that. Until she has no choice. Its such an awful time and awful feeling. I love what she says at the end to Kitty that she hopes Kitty understands why they are doing it and hopes Kitty knows how much they love her.  You really do hope your cat, dog, etc. understands. 

• Love 3

Of course Julio follows Intrigue’s skeevy hook-up plan and thinks all this is funny.  So gross.

Tonight was my first time watching Tapped Out since watching (many times) the Major Crimes episode with “Dick Tracy,” and I was hoping my love for that episode would make me like this one more now.  I like Pope – who was always so pissed off at Flynn and Provenza’s antics – getting caught up right alongside them in one of their bumbles, and seriously love “He did this to eight women and he only got shot once?!” but I don’t like playing Baird’s mental illness for laughs and there is just too much of such an over-the-top character.  In MC, they were much more respectful in their treatment of the illness and Baird wasn’t quite as cartoonish and wasn’t remotely so damn loud.  So I was hoping that memory would soften my reaction to this one, but it doesn’t.  I still laugh loud and long at the non-Baird scenes, but I also still can’t stand his scenes.

I skipped the first half of Strike Three to watch Jeopardy! so I'll catch the later airing of that one to watch it in full; it's when I really started falling in love with Sharon Raydor.  Especially this, when Brenda spouts the usual BS about officers' uses of force being investigated making them think twice about defending themselves and that hesitation leading to more cops being killed and asks Sharon if she's ever considered what her principles cost:

Sharon: Seventy million dollars.  That was the settlement in the Rampart case.  One hundred.  That's how many convictions were overturned due to renegade policing and lack of oversight in one division alone, not to mention the loss of trust the LAPD needs to remain effective.

Bless!  I also like the ending of that scene:

Brenda:  There has to be a better way.
Sharon:  Well, until then, you've got me.

Also, "Pretending not to see things is how I wound up here in the first place.  Does anyone really think I want to go in there.  Anyone?"  Followed by, "Is that 'eat me' as in I want to talk or 'eat me' as in I'm unwilling to cooperate?"  

I also like Mikki Mendoza taking out the Nazi with her fake baby.  And I really like how she has no time for Julio's shit.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Of course Julio follows Intrigue’s skeevy hook-up plan and thinks all this is funny.  So gross.

Tonight was my first time watching Tapped Out since watching (many times) the Major Crimes episode with “Dick Tracy,” and I was hoping my love for that episode would make me like this one more now.  I like Pope – who was always so pissed off at Flynn and Provenza’s antics – getting caught up right alongside them in one of their bumbles, and seriously love “He did this to eight women and he only got shot once?!” but I don’t like playing Baird’s mental illness for laughs and there is just too much of such an over-the-top character.  In MC, they were much more respectful in their treatment of the illness and Baird wasn’t quite as cartoonish and wasn’t remotely so damn loud.  So I was hoping that memory would soften my reaction to this one, but it doesn’t.  I still laugh loud and long at the non-Baird scenes, but I also still can’t stand his scenes.

I skipped the first half of Strike Three to watch Jeopardy! so I'll catch the later airing of that one to watch it in full; it's when I really started falling in love with Sharon Raydor.  Especially this, when Brenda spouts the usual BS about officers' uses of force being investigated making them think twice about defending themselves and that hesitation leading to more cops being killed and asks Sharon if she's ever considered what her principles cost:

Sharon: Seventy million dollars.  That was the settlement in the Rampart case.  One hundred.  That's how many convictions were overturned due to renegade policing and lack of oversight in one division alone, not to mention the loss of trust the LAPD needs to remain effective.

Bless!  I also like the ending of that scene:

Brenda:  There has to be a better way.
Sharon:  Well, until then, you've got me.

Also, "Pretending not to see things is how I wound up here in the first place.  Does anyone really think I want to go in there.  Anyone?"  Followed by, "Is that 'eat me' as in I want to talk or 'eat me' as in I'm unwilling to cooperate?"  

I also like Mikki Mendoza taking out the Nazi with her fake baby.  And I really like how she has no time for Julio's shit.

I love Brenda's comment about him doing that to eight women and only got shot once. I remember thinking the same thing after watching the DVD of the show. I hated Julio followed Intrigue's rules. I loved Pope getting into Flynn-Provenza trouble. 

I love Sharon's response at the end of Strike Three too its what I've always wanted anyone from IAB or FID as it is in this case to say on cops shows. They are always seen as the enemy or rat squad which is rather odd when your suppose to be rooting for the cops/detectives on the show to arrest criminals you'd think they'd also want any bad cops on the force to be arrest too. I do like Brenda's starting question because I can see a lot of cops thinking the way and thinking their right until Sharon names the amount of money paid out in the Rampart case. That stops her. 

That whole scene though from the show is rather odd. I know Brenda hasn't always been by the book with the Russian prostitute murders and the officer from Mexico even though I do like those episodes and what happened to both murderers. Its an odd way the show went and very odd thing for Brenda to be so against Sharon until that moment when you remember Brenda was brought in specifically because of that problem.  

• Love 1

Elysian Fields is good on its own –Tom Skerritt! – but also in hindsight, especially opening with Brenda’s Stroh nightmare, since what Olin became by his obsession with Greeson – which so frustrates and disgusts her in a cop - is what Brenda later almost became due to her Stroh obsession before finally pulling herself back from that step in the end.  It’s also interesting to have the “You need to make time for your mother” thing at the forefront in this one, since that becomes such a huge deal at the same time her Stroh obsession comes to a head.

I don’t know if Brenda’s final storyline was conceived far enough in advance to make this episode well-laid foreshadowing or just something that is later retroactively integrated well into a storyline, but it’s chock full of stuff that plays out later.  The timing - as someone who watched after it was all over - has always intrigued me, because they set up the "brought in to counteract all the 'we can't get a confession legally so we'll beat it out/plant evidence/otherwise shit on the law' shenanigans, and indeed cleaned up in many ways, yet developed a disturbing habit of arranging extra-judicial executions when she couldn't" departure early on and kept at it.

Andy’s “You’re welcome” at provoking that woman to punch him so they could hold her made me laugh; great line delivery.  Also, “You just want to see me get slapped again”/”The thought never crossed my mind.”

It is horrible, but “The Make-A-Wish Foundation refused to do it for me” makes me laugh.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Elysian Fields is good on its own –Tom Skerritt! – but also in hindsight, especially opening with Brenda’s Stroh nightmare, since what Olin became by his obsession with Greeson – which so frustrates and disgusts her in a cop - is what Brenda later almost became due to her Stroh obsession before finally pulling herself back from that step in the end.  It’s also interesting to have the “You need to make time for your mother” thing at the forefront in this one, since that becomes such a huge deal at the same time her Stroh obsession comes to a head.

I don’t know if Brenda’s final storyline was conceived far enough in advance to make this episode well-laid foreshadowing or just something that is later retroactively integrated well into a storyline, but it’s chock full of stuff that plays out later.  The timing - as someone who watched after it was all over - has always intrigued me, because they set up the "brought in to counteract all the 'we can't get a confession legally shenanigans so we'll beat it out/plant evidence/otherwise shit on the law' and cleaned up in many ways, yet developed a disturbing habit of arranging extra-judicial executions when she couldn't" departure early on.

Andy’s “You’re welcome” at provoking that woman to punch him so they could hold her made me laugh; great line delivery.  Also, “You just want to see me get slapped again”/”The thought never crossed my mind.”

It is horrible, but “The Make-A-Wish Foundation refused to do it for me” makes me laugh.

I've always wondered that too. I really don't know. I don't think Kyra knew yet that she was going to leave after season seven. But if that's the case it is interesting how well they were able to line up her exit finally going to far in her obsession with Stroh while the same time she decides she needs to make more time for family. Either way I do like that they came up with a reason that fits with the show and Brenda as to why she ended up leaving. Its not easy writing off a character, especially the main character. 

I love those lines too! They were so perfect and so funny. 

• Love 1