Type keyword(s) to search

The Closer - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I don't think Kyra knew yet that she was going to leave after season seven.

It was either after season five or during season six, IIRC - they had a lot of notice.  So not as far back as this, and the groundwork is laid even before this.  They could have always had in mind that, whenever the show ended, it would end that way.  Or they decided that much later on, realizing they'd set it up very well.  Whenever the decision was made, I give them credit for how nicely Brenda's arc played out over the course of the series.

11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Either way I do like that they came up with a reason that fits with the show and Brenda as to why she ended up leaving. Its not easy writing off a character, especially the main character. 

Yes!  I was so nervous for it, because usually when they write a woman as leaving the job I've just spent years watching her love, it's for some reason that makes no sense for the character and pisses me off.  This worked.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Bastet said:
16 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Either way I do like that they came up with a reason that fits with the show and Brenda as to why she ended up leaving. Its not easy writing off a character, especially the main character. 

Yes!  I was so nervous for it, because usually when they write a woman as leaving the job I've just spent years watching her love, it's for some reason that makes no sense for the character and pisses me off.  This worked.

With all the reboots going on, I would love to see a show about Brenda in her current job. But it would be hard to live up to the tight writing and great casting of this show.

Watching a few seasons 2 and 3 episodes this past week on Start TV, I was struck with how appropriate Provenza always was towards Brenda as a woman, in spite of his preference for women much younger and more fit than he was for romantic partners, and in spite of his out-of-date perspective on technology and even police procedures. Provenza's respect for Brenda went beyond protecting his own position as her subordinate. He often steered the others towards following her directives when they might not have otherwise. He was almost a role model for men who want to be #MeToo approved.

ETA:
Just watched "Four to Eight." If this was a 70s show, after Brenda arrested the father for murder, she would have told the son that since his father was going to likely spend the rest of his life in prison for trying to protect his son's future, the least the son could do would be to not screw up his scholarship. But this was not that kind of show (or from that era of happily ever after) and, anyway, I doubt the son was going to forgive the father for killing his cousin any time soon.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

It was either after season five or during season six, IIRC - they had a lot of notice.  So not as far back as this, and the groundwork is laid even before this.  They could have always had in mind that, whenever the show ended, it would end that way.  Or they decided that much later on, realizing they'd set it up very well.  Whenever the decision was made, I give them credit for how nicely Brenda's arc played out over the course of the series.

Yes!  I was so nervous for it, because usually when they write a woman as leaving the job I've just spent years watching her love, it's for some reason that makes no sense for the character and pisses me off.  This worked.

I hate when that happens too. Like in Rizzoli and Isles when the series ended we're suppose to by Jane would leave to become an FBI instructor. No way she'd ever do that. Jane would stay in Boston and a detective for Boston PD for the rest of her life. In a case like this its hard to buy why Brenda would leave. She loved her job. You couldn't really see her ever leaving it. Except in the case she did. When she went to far with Stroh and suddenly losing her mother. I do love Brenda's remark to Morales immediately after she attacked Stroh. "I think I just lost my job" Yes, I think so. It fit with her. 

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

With all the reboots going on, I would love to see a show about Brenda in her current job. But it would be hard to live up to the tight writing and great casting of this show.

Watching a few seasons 2 and 3 episodes this past week on Start TV, I was struck with how appropriate Provenza always was towards Brenda as a woman, in spite of his preference for women much younger and more fit than he was for romantic partners, and in spite of his out-of-date perspective on technology and even police procedures. Provenza's respect for Brenda went beyond protecting his own position as her subordinate. He often steered the others towards following her directives when they might not have otherwise. He was almost a role model for men who want to be #MeToo approved.

That's very true. I hadn't considered that but it really doesn't surprise me. For all his jokes, snarks and mess up he's a much better cop and detective then you'd think when you met him and listened to him. During season one he helps Brenda on cases like giving her the information about her hair in the second episode, going to the supermarket in another to get the tapes that end up throwing out the confession Taylor forced  out of the junkie, his disgust when he's interviewing the prostitute's clients, going to find out there were no prints on the ladder despite he had been certain the man hung himself. All his I don't Run when its serious he does. He's second in command after Brenda and ends up doing a really good job in that too. He's the one who suggest it to Brenda earlier when she didn't want to talk about it that something needed to be done about Gabriel and Daniels fighting, she tells him about the job. He later without her knowing (I don't know if she ever found out) ordered both to apply for the job to finally put an end that crap. Is sympathy towards Baxter and letting him stay with him. 

ETA:
Just watched "Four to Eight." If this was a 70s show, after Brenda arrested the father for murder, she would have told the son that since his father was going to likely spend the rest of his life in prison for trying to protect his son's future, the least the son could do would be to not screw up his scholarship. But this was not that kind of show (or from that era of happily ever after) and, anyway, I doubt the son was going to forgive the father for killing his cousin any time soon.

I agree I doubt the son would ever forgive his father for killing his cousin. If it was any other show they'd have Brenda say something to him about the scholarship. As nice as that would be and it would be so great if the son would take the scholarship and get away from gangs. It is more realistic that they don't. He won't forgive his father and is now a gang member. Maybe decades later he'll see what his father was trying to do but maybe not. But not now. I do love Julio's reaction to the father being the murder. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I hate when that happens too. Like in Rizzoli and Isles when the series ended we're suppose to by Jane would leave to become an FBI instructor. No way she'd ever do that. Jane would stay in Boston and a detective for Boston PD for the rest of her life. In a case like this its hard to buy why Brenda would leave. She loved her job. You couldn't really see her ever leaving it. Except in the case she did. When she went to far with Stroh and suddenly losing her mother. I do love Brenda's remark to Morales immediately after she attacked Stroh. "I think I just lost my job" Yes, I think so. It fit with her. 

I don't know at that point in the shadow of The Johnson Rule and being in a political "Chief" position it seemed like a cop out to the audience to have the LA District Attorney take her on and hide Sergeant Gabriel with her.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I hate when that happens too. Like in Rizzoli and Isles when the series ended we're suppose to by Jane would leave to become an FBI instructor. No way she'd ever do that. Jane would stay in Boston and a detective for Boston PD for the rest of her life. In a case like this its hard to buy why Brenda would leave

Jane Rizzoli going to DC seemed hard to believe because if she was going to leave her deep Boston roots, I think she would've done it in her 20s, although DC isn't that far from Boston, so I was just barely able to swallow it.
Brenda's change seemed more organic to me. She had made major life changes in her life before. If anything, this change was minor when compared to moving 3,000+ miles across the country, leaving the CIA for LAPD.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Watching "Live Wire."

I love this:

SANCHEZ: You have the right to shut up! Any stupid thing you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
You have the right to an attorney.
If your broke ass can't afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

Has Lifetime stopped airing reruns? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Dammit!  We were just getting to my favorites, and they haven't even gone all the way through the series once!  They went from saturation - the block on Fridays, which was repeated the following Wednesdays on LMN, plus a block on Sundays - to just the block on Fridays, and now nothing.  I hoped they were just moving it to LMN, or maybe doing like Hallmark and changing their schedule to air awful Christmas movies until January, but The Closer is gone from their list of shows, not just off the schedule (and the list does included syndicated programming, yes, not just Lifetime originals/movies).  Boo!

• Love 2

So I guess I'll be all alone out here in Chicagoland catching them when I can on Start TV.

Today they had the first Dick Tracy episode. I loved the moment when Pope was on the phone trying to track down Detective Richard Tracy, and Brenda asked him if he had really just turned over all the evidence to "Dick Tracy," and the looks on all their faces.

I wonder if now, 10 years later, that joke would still fly. I read Dick Tracy comics in the 60s.

• Love 2
On 10/30/2018 at 8:00 PM, shapeshifter said:

So I guess I'll be all alone out here in Chicagoland catching them when I can on Start TV.

It turns out that Los Angeles cable has it but they have not yet updated the listing as Start TV which seem to be female lead shows,  it still has the generic KCBS2 at 1255

1 hour ago, Raja said:

It turns out that Los Angeles cable has it but they have not yet updated the listing as Start TV which seem to be female lead shows,  it still has the generic KCBS2 at 1255

So are you watching it, @Raja?
Last week they ran the episodes with Kyra's daughter, Sosie Bacon, in the role of Charlie, Brenda's mildly rebellious teenage niece. I found her to be a more likeable addition than I recalled, and I now wonder if she was either a prototype or inspiration for Rusty. I also decided that I preferred Charlie to Rusty.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Last week they ran the episodes with Kyra's daughter, Sosie Bacon, in the role of Charlie, Brenda's mildly rebellious teenage niece. I found her to be a more likeable addition than I recalled, and I now wonder if she was either a prototype or inspiration for Rusty. I also decided that I preferred Charlie to Rusty.

Probably just on Amazon when I get around to another re-watch, the start TV schedule looks like it will be in  the early evening while I am commuting.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I liked her too. I wasn't sure I would when I heard back then that Brenda's niece was coming for a visit. But I really liked her. She was rude and stupid at times (mostly with the pot and going to look for Brenda after the shooting. I get why she did the latter Brenda was probably gone awhile or was worried and scared but still stupid and dangerous). I liked when she listened to James the schizophrenic when he was talking to Brenda or the look she gave when Fritz tried to calm they don't use their phones during dinner and Brenda's cellphone starts ringing, her scenes with Jake and upset that she couldn't say goodbye. seeing Brenda high was hilarious and Brenda deciding not to send Charlie back yet. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I liked when she listened to James the schizophrenic when he was talking to Brenda

On re-watching 5.9 "Identity Theft," I thought these few lines were a bit of brilliance when combined with the cutting of the scenes, back and forth, between Charlie and the schizophrenic boy as he tells Brenda:

• When I'm off my medication, I have friends.
    My father says they're not good for me.
    My friends will keep me from getting back into college and managing my mind.
    Have to get rid of them.

--especially because earlier we heard Fritz tell Brenda:

• Well, according to your mother Charlie's parents think she's been smoking pot.
    And she may have had sex with her ex-boyfriend.
    And she's making some not very good friends.

I imagine that when James refers to his "medication" that Charlie is thinking of it as similar to being high on marijuana,
and definitely she seems to relate to James saying "I have friends. My father says they're not good for me. My friends will keep me from getting . . . into college"
The film editing was crucial to conveying this--IMO.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

On re-watching 5.9 "Identity Theft," I thought these few lines were a bit of brilliance when combined with the cutting of the scenes, back and forth, between Charlie and the schizophrenic boy as he tells Brenda:

• When I'm off my medication, I have friends.
    My father says they're not good for me.
    My friends will keep me from getting back into college and managing my mind.
    Have to get rid of them.

--especially because earlier we heard Fritz tell Brenda:

• Well, according to your mother Charlie's parents think she's been smoking pot.
    And she may have had sex with her ex-boyfriend.
    And she's making some not very good friends.

I imagine that when James refers to his "medication" that Charlie is thinking of it as similar to being high on marijuana,
and definitely she seems to relate to James saying "I have friends. My father says they're not good for me. My friends will keep me from getting . . . into college"
The film editing was crucial to conveying this--IMO.

I think she was thinking of that too. Which was a good way for her get the message and in a way she's more likely to listen. To James who has similar problems but in a different way. It was a really good scene with the right amount of back and forth. Her listening when James tells Brenda his father used to be so proud of him. That probably hit home for Charlie too.  Her parents not happy about her doing drugs, didn't like her friends or boyfriend probably a lot of fighting and not a lot of hearing how proud they are of her and/or she hasn't done much lately that would make her parents proud.

• Love 2

In 7.6 "Home Improvement," in which ". . . Brenda tries to find a way to pay for her new high-priced defense attorney," Brenda steps out (again!) in the middle of her $10/minute meeting with her attorney, Gavin (and Fritz) to hug Will Pope (her boss who is also her ex and who Fritz believes "still has feelings for" Brenda) and thanks Will for getting the city to pay for her legal fees (he did not) while Fritz fumes in the background, and Gavin (who promised Fritz he would not tell Brenda that Fritz payed the $25,000 retainer) looks to me like he might be wondering if he's going to have to explain to them that he does not do divorces.

Anyway, I can't recall: Do we ever find out why Will didn't just immediately tell Brenda that he did not get the city to pay her legal fees?

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Do we ever find out why Will didn't just immediately tell Brenda that he did not get the city to pay her legal fees?

Because he's Will Pope.  If he can just fall into getting credit for something he didn't do, especially when that means having a way to keep Brenda from barging into his office and demanding yet another special favor for at least a short time, he's not going to voluntarily turn down that credit.

I love when Gavin, agreeing to handle the federal suit pro bono, gleefully spills the beans that, no, Will did not get the city to cover it the first time around (the one in state court).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, Bastet said:
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Do we ever find out why Will didn't just immediately tell Brenda that he did not get the city to pay her legal fees?

Because he's Will Pope.  If he can just fall into getting credit for something he didn't do, especially when that means having a way to keep Brenda from barging into his office and demanding yet another special favor for at least a short time, he's not going to voluntarily turn down that credit.

For sure! I just have some vague memory of him 'splainin' about it later to Brenda. Maybe after?:

33 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I love when Gavin, agreeing to handle the federal suit pro bono, gleefully spills the beans that, no, Will did not get the city to cover it the first time around (the one in state court).

In "Living Proof" (part 1 & 2, 6.13 & 14) there's some wonderful dialog surrounding Sharon Raydor being introduced to Brenda's parents as her "friend."
I wish they had built on this more than they did, but, anyway, it was some great writing in terms of [potential] character relationship development.
From Part 1:

• [Brenda]  Mama, Daddy, this is my captain, Raydor. I mean, my friend, Captain Sharon. My friend Sharon Raydor.

[Willie Ray] Friend? We have been waiting to meet one of Brenda's friends since she graduated high school.

[Sharon] Well, here I am.

[Willie Ray] Wait a minute, Clay. Did you say "captain"? As in, you work here?

[Sharon] Yes, that's right, Mrs. Johnson.

[Willie Ray] I see. - Her friend works here. - Uh-huh. Please call me Willie Ray. - Brenda's friends are my friends too. -

[Sharon] Okay, Willie Ray.

From Part 2:

• [Sharon] No flights in or out till tomorrow, so there goes Christmas.

[Willie Ray] Why, Sharon. You can have dinner with all of us here. Your friend Brenda wouldn't have it any other way.

[Sharon] My friend Brenda? My friend Brenda.

[Willie Ray] You know what? You come help me finish with the cooking and I'll tell you some fun stories about Brenda Leigh when she was a girl. - They'll make you laugh.

[Sharon] - I'm sure they will.

[Willie Ray] - Come on.

[Sharon] - Okay.

• Love 4

"Controlled Burn" 4.1 guest stars Jason O'Mara as Bill Croelick, "a pyromaniac who uses alcoholic beverages to set his girlfriends on fire"—

Spoiler

although not the perp in this episode (or any in which he appears).

The writing and delivery of his lines are fantastic—provided one does not mind a little expertly done scenery chewing and an abundance of fire-related puns:

[Brenda] How about you, Bill? - Anyone special in your life? 
[Bill Croelick] Oh, no. I'm still carrying a little torch for you.

[Bill Croelick] It's crazy, you know? Having a wildlife park in the center of a city.
I look around at your little nature preserve, you know what I see? It's all fuel.
And you and you and you, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.
Black man.
White man.
Deputy Chief.
Fire doesn't care about your name or rank or badge number.
You're all just bite-size lumps of flesh and bone in the flaming food chain.

[Bill Croelick to Brenda] I think we've taken this relationship about as far as it can go. You know? And I think it best for both of us if I regard you as something like an old flame.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

I just watched The Life on Prime video Joel is so cute and I do love how Fritz spends the episode convincing her to keep the kitten. Her reaction to the name Joel. I love how she is with Camilla. She was very kind. I do like Camilla saying at the end that it wasn't really over. I do like that all the rapists end up murdered and by their own gang. Couldn't happen to a better group. I like the coroner's comment about how he never gets used to young victims and Taylor tells him they still don't. That just seems so real no matter how long you work in those jobs you never get used to young victims. I do like Provenza eventually getting passed George become Georgette in the next episode. 

• Love 1
On 1/13/2019 at 5:02 PM, shapeshifter said:

5.3, "Red Tape" just aired, in which "Sgt. Gabriel shoots a murder suspect he believes is armed and firing at him." 
At the end, Gabriel takes an envelope out of his desk drawer addressed to "Irene." What was he going to tell her?

My guess it was a goodbye letter to a loved one should he fall in the line of duty. And Sgt. Gabriel never pulled it after  breaking up with Detective Daniels but after this close call thought about it and did.  Now he had probably been in other life or death fights as part to the division but since the episode focused on his off duty gunfight and Cpt. Raydor investigating him it plays like a typical very special episode moment..

• Love 1
On 1/13/2019 at 5:02 PM, shapeshifter said:

5.3, "Red Tape" just aired, in which "Sgt. Gabriel shoots a murder suspect he believes is armed and firing at him." 
At the end, Gabriel takes an envelope out of his desk drawer addressed to "Irene." What was he going to tell her?

On 1/20/2019 at 2:24 PM, Raja said:

My guess it was a goodbye letter to a loved one should he fall in the line of duty. And Sgt. Gabriel never pulled it after  breaking up with Detective Daniels but after this close call thought about it and did.  Now he had probably been in other life or death fights as part to the division but since the episode focused on his off duty gunfight and Cpt. Raydor investigating him it plays like a typical very special episode moment..

It's not motivated by the events of Red Tape, because as the episode opens (the scene with Taylor joining Gabriel at the bar), we learn he tried to get the letter to her, but she wouldn't take it, and it's not a "goodbye in case I die" letter that he's had on hand, it's a letter of apology (presumably about the fallout of their break-up), because when Taylor returns it to him, Gabriel asks, "She won't even let me apologize?"  Taylor tells him she's moved on, and so should he.  In the end, he accepts that she doesn't want to hear from him, and gets rid of the letter.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's not motivated by the events of Red Tape, because as the episode opens (the scene with Taylor joining Gabriel at the bar), we learn he tried to get the letter to her, but she wouldn't take it, and it's not a "goodbye in case I die" letter that he's had on hand, it's a letter of apology (presumably about the fallout of their break-up), because when Taylor returns it to him, Gabriel asks, "She won't even let me apologize?"  Taylor tells him she's moved on, and so should he.  In the end, he accepts that she doesn't want to hear from him, and gets rid of the letter.

Thanks, @Bastet. I must've not remembered the opening scene by the time of the final one. Probably if I'd watched the episodes consecutively it would have resonated that this was the send off for the character of Irene.

Watching 6.13 "Living Proof: Part One" and 6.14 "Living Proof: Part Two," which originally aired in December of 2010.
One thing that always bugs me is that a big plot point is that they need an Albanian translator, but they don't even mention Google Translate, which went live in 2006. Maybe it didn't include Albanian then? Or maybe it wasn't good enough, but they don't even mention it. Maybe they couldn't mention the brand name of Google because it wasn't genericized yet? Probably, but they could have called it "that Internet translator."

• Love 2
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Watching 6.13 "Living Proof: Part One" and 6.14 "Living Proof: Part Two," which originally aired in December of 2010.
One thing that always bugs me is that a big plot point is that they need an Albanian translator, but they don't even mention Google Translate, which went live in 2006. Maybe it didn't include Albanian then? Or maybe it wasn't good enough, but they don't even mention it. Maybe they couldn't mention the brand name of Google because it wasn't genericized yet? Probably, but they could have called it "that Internet translator."

I didn't even think about that. I was wondering why someone wasn't checking with the embassy, consulates, or colleges and universities. I know the Embassy is in DC and the closest consulate looks like in Texas but they surely could have sent someone or gave them a list of translators? There are no professors in all of California that teach Albanian or Albanian studies or could even explain to them the history between the two groups? I know it was Christmas but it seems unlikely that they couldn't find one person to help them.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I didn't even think about that. I was wondering why someone wasn't checking with the embassy, consulates, or colleges and universities. I know the Embassy is in DC and the closest consulate looks like in Texas but they surely could have sent someone or gave them a list of translators? There are no professors in all of California that teach Albanian or Albanian studies or could even explain to them the history between the two groups? I know it was Christmas but it seems unlikely that they couldn't find one person to help them.

Well that was the set up. except for the first responder duty squads and perhaps last minute retail everybody was gone on vacation.  and at first it wasn't thought to be a typical Major Case pull all the stops money is no object case. Only Captain Raydor needing to close her patrol car ramming the father to death  brought in Doctor Morales instead of letting the corpse sit as they filled a "dunker" as they called it on The Wire case  Finding an Albanian specialist isn't like finding Spanish or even Korean, Armenian... even in LA

4 hours ago, Raja said:

Finding an Albanian specialist isn't like finding Spanish or even Korean, Armenian... even in LA

Sure. Which is why it bugs me that they didn't try an Internet translator; they had Tao try using a not-quite-English-Albanian dictionary:
   [Brenda] What's it say, this e-mail? I need a translator.
   [Tau]      I was giving it a shot with this Albanian translation's guide.
                 And I actually recognized a few words from this e-mail.
                 Hospital, ghost.
                 I'll keep working on it.
I just wish they'd thrown into his lines something like, "I also tried an Internet translator, but the results didn't make any sense."

• Love 2

Given the results of Google Translate, even if it did exist in Albanian-English, I certainly wouldn't want the police relying on it in determining whether there was probable cause for a murder arrest!

And, yes, on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day, I can go with none of their approved sources (which would be a short list on the best of days) being available.

Besides, it gives me the wonderfully-delivered, "Of course it's still in Albanian, it's always been in Albanian ... Well, where would I get an Albanian translator on Christmas morning?" from Sharon to Brenda and Brenda's "Oh, I ask you for one thing!" to Fritz when he tells her he, too, is fresh out of Albanian translators despite her Christmas wish.

The Living Proof two-parter is one of my favorites.  I love the twist on Sharon and Brenda's usual battle over jurisdiction, in that this time they both keep trying to dump the case off on the other, I love beyond reason the "This is my Captain Raydor ... my friend, Sharon" introduction, Sharon's pouting when the airport closes, and the best of Sharon's epic eye rolls when Pope says he is Acting Chief, and I like how well they blend all the humor with one of their most-disturbing cases.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The Living Proof two-parter is one of my favorites.  I love the twist on Sharon and Brenda's usual battle over jurisdiction, in that this time they both keep trying to dump the case off on the other, I love beyond reason the "This is my Captain Raydor ... my friend, Sharon" introduction, Sharon's pouting when the airport closes, and the best of Sharon's epic eye rolls when Pope says he is Acting Chief, and I like how well they blend all the humor with one of their most-disturbing cases.

Yes, all of this^,  plus, I love Mary McD's (Sharon's) delivery in response to Brenda's mom:

[Sharon]            No flights in or out till tomorrow, so there goes Christmas.
   [Mrs. Johnson]  Why, Sharon. 
                            You can have dinner with all of us here.
                            Your friend Brenda wouldn't have it any other way.
   [Sharon]           My friend Brenda? My. friend. Brenda.

• Love 5

Living Proof was fantastic, and I loved the Friend Sharon conversation.

However, for heart breaking "Under Control" where the little boy was missing from the summer camp that Tao's son worked at, was so sad.      Unfortunately, the same scenario plays out in real life too often.  The relationship between Tao, the son, and the wife was so true to life.   

"A Family Affair" where the Phoenix detective (played Belanna Torres on Star Trek Voyager) come to town after her daughter ODs is so sad.  

I loathed the Pope character,   He led Brenda on during their affair in his previous marriage, cheats on the next wife, lets Brenda think the city paid for her lawyer, and every other back stabbing thing he could get away with.     Instead of having Taylor shot in the court scene, maybe they should have had Pope get it too?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

They show the finale this morning.     It was so clever that Brenda nailed Stroh that way to get the blood, and to trick him into a confession.     It was so sad to see the Gabriel revealed as the unintentional leak, with the lawyer girlfriend tied to Goldman (the attorney for Ty Burell's family) unmasked as the information source.     It was so sad to have Brenda's mother die like that too, in the previous episode.      

I think it was strange that Flynn was the one who said Gabriel needed to transfer, when Flynn had been Taylor's saboteur in the unit in the first season.    

• Useful 1

I happened to notice that 'Lifetime' was going to start the rotation of 'The Closer' episodes over beginning with the pilot last week (three episodes a day).  So, I've started recording them and watching them when I get home.  It's been a long time since I've seen them, so I'm really enjoying 'discovering' them again.  I had forgotten how the squad hated her at the beginning (especially Flynn) and how they came to respect her and work well with her (mostly).  I was also reminded at how Brenda really took advantage of Fritz's good nature and was determined to close her case every time, no matter who she ran over in order to do it (and it was usually Fritz).  

The only complaint I have is that 'Lifetime' mutes some of the adult language. TNT would have left them in (since it was a TNT show), but TNT isn't showing any of the episodes right now.  I also hope they don't skip too many episodes (for whatever unknown reason they have for doing this).  So far, they've skipped episode 7 (they are up to episode 13, I think, as of today).  Why do networks do this?  

• Love 1

I’ve been rewatching the show (for like the 10th time) and noticed that Brenda never reads suspects their Miranda rights. She always turns to someone in the squad to say them. Anyone else notice that? Is she not allowed to read someone their Miranda rights?

40 minutes ago, Javaka7e said:

I’ve been rewatching the show (for like the 10th time) and noticed that Brenda never reads suspects their Miranda rights. She always turns to someone in the squad to say them. Anyone else notice that?  Is she not allowed to read someone their Miranda rights?

No, there's no restriction on her reading someone their rights.  She/the writers gave the rest of the squad so little to do, maybe always having someone else deliver the Miranda warning was a characterization detail -- one of the few things over which she'd routinely cede control?  I never noticed that; good eye (ear)!

And, hey, her delegation gave us Julio's classic take, something like, "You have the right to shut up.  Any stupid thing you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.  You have the right to an attorney.  If your broke ass can't afford an attorney, one will be appointed."

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think my favorite episode, showcasing all of Brenda's talents is 'Good Housekeeping", where the young girl is raped and murdered, and it turns out it was the son of the rich people that her mother worked for.   It's the one where the parents delay until the son can get to Mexico with the mother, and he refuses to come back to the U.S.,.     Then the fool actually wants to know how Brenda can talk to him without an attorney, and she informs him that in Mexico he has zero rights.      When she tricks him into confessing, more like boasting about what he did, and Brenda reveals that the little girl was a Mexican citizen, and the killer will spend 40 years in a Mexican prison, it was spectacular.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think my favorite episode, showcasing all of Brenda's talents is 'Good Housekeeping", where the young girl is raped and murdered, and it turns out it was the son of the rich people that her mother worked for.   It's the one where the parents delay until the son can get to Mexico with the mother, and he refuses to come back to the U.S., and then the fool actually wants to know how Brenda can talk to him without an attorney, and she informs him that in Mexico he has zero rights.      When she tricks him into confessing, more like boasting about what he did, and Brenda reveals that the little girl was a Mexican citizen, and the killer will spend 40 years in a Mexican prison, it was spectacular.   

That's my favorite one too. I love all of that scene in Mexico. He was so smug that he wasn't going back to US no matter what she said. No matter if his parents both went to jail. Watching him confess and then find out that Marta was Mexican citizen and he gets to stay in Mexico. In prison. Couldn't happen to a better person. If he had been paying attention Brenda does tell him in the beginning when he's yelling about a lawyer that he's in Mexico and he doesn't have the right to a lawyer. But nope, he didn't. He was smug and thought he was so smart. He just confessed freely to the Mexican authorities. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I love watching the first season where the squad didn't want to be there, and work with Brenda, to the end of the first season where she had the anonymous complaint from Taylor, the FBI agent , and the assistant DA.   Then Brenda did the apology that showed they were all incompetents, and sore losers, and the whole squad was going to quit if Brenda was suspended.   I really enjoyed Flynn telling Taylor to stuff it.  

Today's two part with the Arab teen who was murdered, and Brenda was on suspension (after Provenza's gun was used by the mobster to kill the FBI agent) and the CIA needed her help was amazing.    When Brenda told Provenza that if she was murdered that he was to tell what she had found out, the look on his face when he realized what she said was great acting.   That's what I loved about the Closer, the characters became real 3-D people, and I actually cared about all of them.   Of course, Pope never exactly got what he deserved for being such a rat, but you can't have everything.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love watching the first season where the squad didn't want to be there, and work with Brenda, to the end of the first season where she had the anonymous complaint from Taylor, the FBI agent , and the assistant DA.   Then Brenda did the apology that showed they were all incompetents, and sore losers, and the whole squad was going to quit if Brenda was suspended.   I really enjoyed Flynn telling Taylor to stuff it.  

Today's two part with the Arab teen who was murdered, and Brenda was on suspension (after Provenza's gun was used by the mobster to kill the FBI agent) and the CIA needed her help was amazing.    When Brenda told Provenza that if she was murdered that he was to tell what she had found out, the look on his face when he realized what she said was great acting.   That's what I loved about the Closer, the characters became real 3-D people, and I actually cared about all of them.   Of course, Pope never exactly got what he deserved for being such a rat, but you can't have everything.    

That apologize was awesome!

• Love 1

"Blindsided" (the one where the reporters were in the back seat, and Brenda and Gabriel were driving them around, and the sniper shot the car up) was fantastic, but there were a few issues.   When some SWAT team members are assigned to you, and living in your house, the blinds are kept closed.      Wide open blinds, especially at night, allow for a clear shot, and easy monitoring of targets.    However, I love the way Brenda's Mom weaseled the truth of the situation out of the SWAT guys.    

• Love 3
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

"Blindsided" (the one where the reporters were in the back seat, and Brenda and Gabriel were driving them around, and the sniper shot the car up) was fantastic, but there were a few issues.   When some SWAT team members are assigned to you, and living in your house, the blinds are kept closed.      Wide open blinds, especially at night, allow for a clear shot, and easy monitoring of targets.    However, I love the way Brenda's Mom weaseled the truth of the situation out of the SWAT guys.    

I love how her mother was able to do just that.

• Love 3

Monday morning they're having the "Lover's Leap" episode where we find out who Pope was boinking this time, when the Homeland Security accountant dies.     This is after Brenda had her female surgery, is supposed to take it easy, and gets the fireman to rappel her down the cliff.       

I just finished watching that episode.  I love the part where Flynn is standing at the front of the squad room looking at the white board. And written across the board -- in big letters -- 'Who would want to kill deputy chief Johnson?'.  Flynn turns to the room and says 'We're gonna need a bigger board'.  Love it! 

• Love 3

I just watched the season 4 opener, 'Controlled burn'.  I found it interesting that the arsonist/murderer Croelick was only in two episodes.  Even though he told Brenda that he was taking his money and leaving for good, I would have expected to have him show up later in the series.  He was a very creepy character (I guess because he was a murderer but was so sure of himself and charming), so it was probably better not to have him come back (that made it even creepier).

This episode also had this great rant from Fritz(ie):  'We can't meet the upstairs neighbor because the landlord said no pets. We have to keep the curtains closed 24 hours a day because the landlord said no pets.  It's like living with Anne Frank!' 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, BooksRule said:

This episode also had this great rant from Fritz(ie):

Which reminds me: I hate that nickname, Fritzie/Fritzy.  If he doesn't mind it - and we didn't see any indications he did - I certainly shouldn't be bothered on his behalf, but when she calls him that at work, I cringe.  Frankly, I twitch a little even at home, because for those two syllables she sounds stupid and annoying to me even though she doesn't change her voice to baby talk or anything.  I don't know why that particular example of the common habit of adding a y to someone's name for a nickname is so irksome to me, but it is.  There are other examples I find juvenile-sounding, so maybe this is just an extreme reaction on that wavelength, I don't know; I've never identified why it's so nails on a chalkboard to me. 

Did his sister call him Fritzy, too?  I can't remember.