Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Tell Me You Fucking Need Me

• Start Topic

I'm curious, how did [Debbie] bully him?

I believe that Debbie bullied him by asking him "what the hell was wrong" with him for not wanting her and not hitting on her every chance he got because of how great she thinks she is.

She's 14. I'm not saying that what she did wasn't wrong but Matty was twice her age and was the adult and should have cut her off a long time ago. There was no malice in what Debbie did. She wasn't trying to hurt anyone. She wasn't trying to exert power over anyone. She thought they were on a date and that he liked her. (which he did). He was the king of mixed messages. And Debbie had been getting mixed messages about boys and sex from the start (When boys have hardons they want sex being the most prevalent). She is a kid who made a horrible mistake. She is not a bad person or evil.

I respectfully disagree. For one thing, Matty's a few years older than Debbie, not "twice her age" and he told her several times last season when he first met Debbie that despite his feelings for her he had no intention of sleeping with her while she was underage but instead of respecting that, Debbie violated him. Debbie may not have meant to hurt Matty, but IMO intent doesn't matter; results do. No matter what Matty did or didn't do, he didn't deserve to be raped for it.  Debbie's family sucks, to say the least, but that shouldn't give her a free pass to hurt people and get away with it.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I think it's that she's incessantly whining about something no matter the situation, which makes her extremely annoying.

Whining? I haven't heard her whine once all season. She is probably the most proactive one one the show for better or worse. She wants to get out of the friend zone with a boy she threatens a girl with more knowledge and the tries to seduce the boy and when that doesn't work outright asks him why he doesn't like her. That is not my definition of whining. Maybe it is not healthy behavior but who on the show is actually doing anything healthy?

<<<<----edited to respond to above post.

Maddy yes he said no but then allows the underage girl to spend the night alone with him in his apartment alone ON HIS BED. I may be wrong but I think they slept together on the bed once. Those are some serious mixed signals for a girl like Debbie. I am not saying Debbie is without Blame. I just take exception to people calling Debbie "loathsome".

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Sad 1

My problem with the Debbie storyline this season is that I have no idea how to feel about it. Is she gaining confidence and coming into her own? Has she gone full-blown pyscho and is seemingly unconcerned that she raped someone and constantly uses violence to get what she wants? Both are being shown in a confusing blend of messy story.

This f***ing season...

I will defend Debbie in that her not taking the raping of Matt that seriously likely stems from, as others above said, her crazy upbringing. Her own older brother told her not to be upset about it because any guy "would love to be raped by her."

Having said that, I can't stand Debbie's character in this show. It's not really because of anything she does or doesn't do though - I just find her annoying. WIth every season, I like her less and less. Part of the reason is superficial - I can't stand the faces she makes. Whatever. It's a tv show, there doesn't need to be a well-developed reason for not liking a character. 

And I think she does whine - she's all about that stomp-out-of-room-with-dramatic-eye-roll thing. I admittedly was too when I was her age... because I was whiny.

• Love 3

Maddy yes he said no but then allows the underage girl to spend the night alone with him in his apartment alone ON HIS BED. I may be wrong but I think they slept together on the bed once. Those are some serious mixed signals for a girl like Debbie. I am not saying Debbie is without Blame. I just take exception to people calling Debbie "loathsome".

I think she's loathesome this season. I also don't think letting a grieving friend sleep in bed with you means you surrender all rights to your body later. Matty was not smart to date a 13 year old. He was not smart to go to her house and get so drunk on homemade beer that he could not stay conscious. But that doesn't mean that Debbie wasn't the perpertrator here.

And what I find so disgusting was that it was not even about sex to Debbie. Although she said later that she thought an erection meant he was for it- it wasn't about being a mutually beneficial experience for the two of them. It was about Debbie being able to check 'losing virginity' off her list, in a way that gave her complete and total control and autonomy over the situation.

And I could maybe give her a pass about it after, if she seemed to feel the slightest bit of guilt about it, but it seems pretty clear that even though she freely uses the word rape, she doesn't really feel any guilt about it. When she was yelling at that guy, she's say's something like, I don't want to have to rape a guy to get him to want to have sex with me (I can't remember the exact words) but basically turning the whole thing into a joke, or like she's the victim for being so unfathomably undesirable to boys that she has to rape them to get laid.

• Love 1