Type keyword(s) to search

Better Talk Saul: BCS Only!

halgia
  • Start Topic

I did not intend to open that can of worms with my stray comment. I'd just like to see more dialogue about the episode and am really disappointed that instead of that happening a few people took it upon themselves to get extra meta.

Repeating my comments about the show:... Does anyone else feel this will not nd well?

I'm not even sure about chuckl he seemed almost in a fugue state during the meeting.

Pk im seemed reluctant in a way that troubles me.

I do think that while jimmy hopes this will be a big earner his first motive was pretty altruistic... An old lady was being wildly ripped off. The fee he was asking for was so pathetically low to start with.

• Love 1

Repeating my comments about the show:... Does anyone else feel this will not nd well?

Most definitely, yes!   Jimmy has higher hopes for his brother than I;  Chuck will either go off the deep end or go back to the dark side; in any case, I'm fully expecting poor Jimmy to get the short end of the stick, somehow.  :-(

• Love 2

Does anyone else feel this will not end well?

Every time things go Jimmy's way, someone comes along to ruin it.

I loved Michael Mando as Vic on Orphan Black, so I was thrilled when he joined BCS as Nacho. But he's been MIA for several episodes.

So my speculation is that Jimmy wins the Sandpiper case and makes plenty of money. But Nacho steals it—because Jimmy "owes" him $1.6 million for scuppering Nacho's plan to steal from those Kettlemans.

• Love 2

Oh that is interesting, I was more afraid that hmh will manage to appropriate it with some technicality about chuck being a partner and use of their printer but this is an interesting theory too,

I know it can't happen but instill find myself desperately wishing for saul to succeed anyway.

• Love 1

I was more afraid that HHM will manage to appropriate it with some technicality about chuck being a partner and use of their printer but this is an interesting theory too.

What I love most about this show is that whatever I think will happen next never, ever does. I can't think of a more unpredictable show than BCS.

• Love 4

I delayed watching. Pimento because I jjutst knew it was going to be bad, and it ducking broke. Y heart, damn you chuck, this is how you repay all the years of taking care of you that's jimmy did, while living not I. A roo. Of your house but in his office? You ddint even offer him room and board?

How can chuck say jimmy isn't a real lawyer after he literally climbed into a dumpster to get vide cw that, people were being exploited, and a huge firm said it was a slam dunk?

It is pure fraternal envy..l the envy you just Lways have felt at jimmys fast tongue and ability to charm.

You deserve to die in there without your lifeline. You'd fucking rather the deal go south than see Jimmy gt what his heart desires. Your have no soul and I hope you die,

H satisfying was it to see mike take down the clown who boasted? Very.

I love the way saul figured out chucks lie too... Chuck was smart enough to delete the call, but just as jimmy had a gut feeling something was wrong when the old lady said allowancee, he knew his phone being drained wasn't rit.

Chuck, what kind of snob are you that you can't see how good a lawyer Jimmy is despite his shady degree? Shame on you. Jimmy could have had all your assets by having you committed. He was too decentl in contrast, you are every cliche of what a shady lawyer is.l. Self inteested, deceitful, lying, cruel. Die.

What I love most about this show is that whatever I think will happen next never, ever does. I can't think of a more unpredictable show than BCS.

Fo' real! If someone had paused the latest episode (Pimento) 50 minutes in and told me I'd be sympathizing with HOWARD by the end of it, I'd have bet money they were wrong. (and lost.) 

• Love 2

At least we're not left wondering whether or not there'll be a season 2.

During the hiatus, you could rewatch BCS, watch BrBa, and/or watch Bob Odenkirk's other work, like Mr. Show with Bob and David (1995) or The Ben Stiller Show (1992).

Or read and/or write BCS fanfic.

• Love 1

I don't know for sure, since obviously the live show hasn't aired yet, but I would be very surprised if there isn't some Breaking Bad talk on the show.  Just guessing from the format and host, but thought those who want to be BB-free should have a heads up.

• Love 1

I don't know for sure, since obviously the live show hasn't aired yet, but I would be very surprised if there isn't some Breaking Bad talk on the show.

There was but I think it was very specific about the two callbacks to BrB in tonight's premiere.  I'm not promising anything but the only two instances where someone might be spoiled is during the quiz section, about 17 minutes in, after the second segment.  One of the quiz/trivia bits refers to one of the callbacks.

They refer to the callbacks again in the fourth segment. (I think it's fourth. I lost track.)  And that's about 37 minutes in and lasts just about a minute.

I take it this thread is pretty much dead. I was over at the episode thread for Witness, but the comments are overwhelmingly referencing BB. I'm one of the few who has seen maybe 10 episodes of BB over its run. Even at that, unless you've been living in a cave it's been hard to avoid all references to the first show floating around in pop cult. I know kind of who Gus Fring is. I know that Jimmy ends up working with (for?) some major bad actors in the drug world. But I really, really don't want it all spelled out for me. I don't need to know every "Hey, it's that guy!" In fact, it detracts from my enjoyment when I want to talk about this show with these characters, but it keeps being filtered through future events on another show.

I'm not pissed, but I am disappointed and frustrated. I'm in rural Ontario; the people I get to talk with - family and friends - have all seen BB, and no one is watching BCS, primarily because they feel they already know that story. And that's the nearly the same thing going on here. Oh yeah, we know this. We know what's going to happen. We don't know how it's going to end up there, but we know where it's going to end up. Well, I don't. I'd really prefer to keep it that way.

Honestly, I appreciate the effort here. I'm also a big fan of Game of Thrones; I'd read all of the books and loved the discussions about how the book events might play out in the show. I think that GoT had a hefty proportion of viewers who had never read the series, and that made the two different threads sustainable. Here, not so much :)

Edited by maystone
  • Love 2

Well, I know it must kinda suck to be here all alone, but this thread was made specifically for those who hadn't seen BB and it's not our* fault that this thread is dead.  Sorry. 

*those of use who have seen BB and post in the episode threads 

12 hours ago, maystone said:

I take it this thread is pretty much dead. I was over at the episode thread for Witness, but the comments are overwhelmingly referencing BB. I'm one of the few who has seen maybe 10 episodes of BB over its run. Even at that, unless you've been living in a cave it's been hard to avoid all references to the first show floating around in pop cult. I know kind of who Gus Fring is. I know that Jimmy ends up working with (for?) some major bad actors in the drug world. But I really, really don't want it all spelled out for me. I don't need to know every "Hey, it's that guy!" In fact, it detracts from my enjoyment when I want to talk about this show with these characters, but it keeps being filtered through future events on another show.

Fwiw, none of the threads is very active this season, not compared to the first two.  I don't know what it's a reflection of -- quality of the episodes, fall-off in viewership, or something else -- but there's not as much active discussion of anything. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Well, I know it must kinda suck to be here all alone, but this thread was made specifically for those who hadn't seen BB and it's not our* fault that this thread is dead.  Sorry. 

I didn't say it was anyone's fault. In fact I noted that given the relatively few people here who have not seen BB, it's unlikely that the forum could support two separate threads. It's my choice not to read the episode threads; I don't feel driven out.

• Love 3
On April 18, 2017 at 8:45 PM, Ohwell said:

Nice. Don't try to speak for all of "us." 

Maystone, I'm sorry some posters cannot be more considerate. There is no reason to constantly reference BB, and especially not spoil characters' arcs. IMO only.

Edited by DangerousMinds
On 4/18/2017 at 6:46 PM, maystone said:

I take it this thread is pretty much dead. I was over at the episode thread for "Witness," but the comments are overwhelmingly referencing BB.

Episode 302 introduced three characters from Breaking Bad, one of whom is a fan favorite. So the crossover characters now include 

Spoiler

Gus Fring, Francesca, Victor, Saul, Mike (plus his daughter-in-law Stacey and granddaughter Kaylee), Nacho, Hector Salamanca, Tuco Salamanca, Ken Wins, Krazy-8, and No-Doze

. That's 13—and I've probably missed some. So the threads are bound to mention Breaking Bad.

I watched every episode of BB live, but that was 10(!) years ago, and I don't remember two of the crossover characters introduced this episode. I still enjoyed the episode and understood what was going on.

10 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Nice. Don't try to speak for all of "us." 

Maystone, I'm sorry some posters cannot be more considerate. There is no reason to constantly reference BB, and especially not spoil characters' arcs. IMO only.

Well, you obviously missed my point entirely --the point being that this thread was made specifically for those people who don't want constant references to BB, which I understand, even though I'm not one of those people.  It's too bad that this thread is dead but that's what I meant by it's not *our* fault.    

• Love 3
On 4/18/2017 at 3:46 PM, maystone said:

I'm not pissed, but I am disappointed and frustrated. I'm in rural Ontario; the people I get to talk with - family and friends - have all seen BB, and no one is watching BCS, primarily because they feel they already know that story. And that's the nearly the same thing going on here. Oh yeah, we know this. We know what's going to happen. We don't know how it's going to end up there, but we know where it's going to end up. Well, I don't. I'd really prefer to keep it that way.

Honestly, I appreciate the effort here. I'm also a big fan of Game of Thrones; I'd read all of the books and loved the discussions about how the book events might play out in the show. I think that GoT had a hefty proportion of viewers who had never read the series, and that made the two different threads sustainable. Here, not so much :)

I watched BB, but I only remember broad strokes so I tend to only talk about CBS.  Same thing with GOT.

Well, I'll just drop this in here. Damn, I love this show. I love that the writers don't dumb things down for the viewer; the trail from Mike finding that "Don't" note to his meeting with Gus was long but oh so worth the time. And were two personalities ever more suited for each other than those two? Blunt, restrained, intelligent, focused, lethal. What a team.

Then there's Jimmy and Chuck. It took so long for Jimmy finally to see who Chuck is, but it was heartbreaking for me to watch. Jimmy loved his brother, and he took a lot of passive-aggressive abuse from Chuck with a shrug and a grin and an "Oh, that's just Chuck" attitude. I think what we're seeing now is a Jimmy who has been pushed across a line from which there's no turning back. My partner is like this: she's extremely loyal to the people she loves - friends and family - and she'll give those people miles and miles of slack until that one push too far, that one thoughtless act that pushes her loyalty and love too far, and then she is done. Forever. No winning her back. Yeah, I think that's where Jimmy is now. And I'm not excusing Jimmy's bad acts, either, but Chuck has been on a single-minded crusade to not just degrade but destroy his younger brother for as long as we've been following this story. Not that he would ever admit that even to himself. I think that was why he was so shocked by Jimmy's final words; I honestly believe that Chuck never thought that Jimmy would end their relationship; he believed his own bullshit about always and only working tirelessly to make Jimmy a better man and Jimmy knew and appreciated it no matter how much it stung. Now they each have this new reality to deal with.

• Love 7

Well, I was curious and came by here, because, I really wanted to like the show, but, I find the issue with Chuck so annoying, that I just can't watch it anymore.  That whole dynamic of Jimmy and Chuck just ticks me off.  I can't stand it.  For it to go on and on.......I won't watch it.  If it ends, I will return.  Any chance of that happening?  lol   MAYSTONE, I see something in your post above that caught my interest.  DID JIMMY finally get rid of Chuck?  I'll have to investigate.  If so, I'll be back. lol

On 2017-05-02 at 0:10 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, I was curious and came by here, because, I really wanted to like the show, but, I find the issue with Chuck so annoying, that I just can't watch it anymore.  That whole dynamic of Jimmy and Chuck just ticks me off.  I can't stand it.  For it to go on and on.......I won't watch it.  If it ends, I will return.  Any chance of that happening?  lol   MAYSTONE, I see something in your post above that caught my interest.  DID JIMMY finally get rid of Chuck?  I'll have to investigate.  If so, I'll be back. lol

Based on last night's episode, I doubt that Jimmy and Chuck will be seeing much more of each other. I can't say for sure how this will play out, but it just might be safe for you to dive back into BCS.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, maystone said:

Based on last night's episode, I doubt that Jimmy and Chuck will be seeing much more of each other. I can't say for sure how this will play out, but it just might be safe for you to dive back into BCS.

I've been nosing around. lol  I would like to return.  

• Love 1
On 5/9/2017 at 5:05 PM, maystone said:

I did! I watched a marathon yesterday and I think I'm caught up.  I may have missed a little, but, I will try to watch the rest of the season.  I'll just ff through the Chuck scenes.  lol 

• Love 1

"Expenses" was the worst episode yet...getting really tired of Kim. Hard to see how she will get anymore clients with her poor attitude. 

• Love 2

Well that tied up a few loose ends. So long, Chuck. You were a miserable excuse for a human being. I have no doubt that you died feeling that everyone had betrayed you. It's interesting to me that Chuck set it up to look as if his death was an accident rather than suicide. I'm not sure if he did that because of his own ego, or if it's because of some sort of legal proviso in his life insurance that would effect  his estate - which I'd guess would be going to his ex-wife? I hope we'll find out next season.

I could not love Kim more. Yay for letting go of the Gatwood account, Kim. I think we got a clue about Kim's future from that bit when she was talking about Atticus Finch and how she wanted to change the world. Maybe after the Mesa Verde account is done, she'll quit private practice and join Amnesty International or some other NGO trying to save at least a small piece of the world. I'll miss the character (and the actor) like crazy, but it's the kind of ending I'd want for her.

And Jimmy. He did the right thing at last with Sand Piper and poor old Irene. He tried to make amends with his despicable brother and got kicked in the teeth (and the heart) once again. I absolutely believe Chuck meant what he said. At that point, Chuck wasn't suicidal; he wasn't trying to set it up so that Jimmy wouldn't be grief stricken when he died. He just gave up the pretense of telling Jimmy that he was constantly tearing Jimmy down simply in order to keep him on the straight and narrow. He hated Jimmy, and now Jimmy knows.

Nacho lives! I was really worried when he pulled up to Hector's place, gun out. The Fates have been kind on that score. And it looks like Gus now sees that he has an ally in Nacho. All in all, I think it was a great season finale. Bring on S4!

• Love 4
On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 7:26 AM, maystone said:

Well that tied up a few loose ends. So long, Chuck. You were a miserable excuse for a human being. I have no doubt that you died feeling that everyone had betrayed you. It's interesting to me that Chuck set it up to look as if his death was an accident rather than suicide. I'm not sure if he did that because of his own ego, or if it's because of some sort of legal proviso in his life insurance that would effect  his estate - which I'd guess would be going to his ex-wife? I hope we'll find out next season.

I could not love Kim more. Yay for letting go of the Gatwood account, Kim. I think we got a clue about Kim's future from that bit when she was talking about Atticus Finch and how she wanted to change the world. Maybe after the Mesa Verde account is done, she'll quit private practice and join Amnesty International or some other NGO trying to save at least a small piece of the world. I'll miss the character (and the actor) like crazy, but it's the kind of ending I'd want for her.

And Jimmy. He did the right thing at last with Sand Piper and poor old Irene. He tried to make amends with his despicable brother and got kicked in the teeth (and the heart) once again. I absolutely believe Chuck meant what he said. At that point, Chuck wasn't suicidal; he wasn't trying to set it up so that Jimmy wouldn't be grief stricken when he died. He just gave up the pretense of telling Jimmy that he was constantly tearing Jimmy down simply in order to keep him on the straight and narrow. He hated Jimmy, and now Jimmy knows.

Nacho lives! I was really worried when he pulled up to Hector's place, gun out. The Fates have been kind on that score. And it looks like Gus now sees that he has an ally in Nacho. All in all, I think it was a great season finale. Bring on S4!

I think the greatest irony is that as much as he has always resented Jimmy, his little brother does mean something to him.  It might have been narcistic, but Chuck did enjoy Jimmy's devotion and adoration.  Chuck has an emotional need for Jimmy that he just can not admit to himself.  It was no accident that Jimmy's visit was the trigger that caused Chuck to go over the edge.

• Love 2

My pleasure over so much of what made the Emmy Nomination list was severely dampened by the realization that Michael McKean was NOT nominated for a series-best set of performances in what is probably his last season.

"Chicanery" alone should have guaranteed the nod. Nothing against Jonathan Banks or the other fine nominees, but McKean's absence looms large.

• Love 8
On 2017-07-13 at 4:23 PM, TudorQueen said:

My pleasure over so much of what made the Emmy Nomination list was severely dampened by the realization that Michael McKean was NOT nominated for a series-best set of performances in what is probably his last season.

"Chicanery" alone should have guaranteed the nod. Nothing against Jonathan Banks or the other fine nominees, but McKean's absence looms large.

I agree completely. McKean has done stellar work all throughout BCS. Chuck could have come off as one-dimensional so easily if played by a lesser actor, but McKean brought so much nuance to the character that we'll be discussing Chuck's influence on Jimmy for years.

I'm also disappointed that Rhea Seehorn wasn't acknowledged for her work. Kim isn't a flashy character, but she's so well realized that you don't see Seehorn's acting bringing her so fully to life. I love Kim, and I'm super impressed with Rhea's portrayal.

On a side note while I'm speaking about the actors on the show, I just read that Kerry Condon who plays Mike's daughter-in-law Stacey was a featured character in an episode of The Walking Dead. She played Clara in 30 Days Without An Accident - the Irish woman who tries to lure Rick to her camp to be her zombie husband's next meal. Huh. I found her much more memorable in that role than as Stacey.

• Love 5
On 7/19/2017 at 7:11 AM, maystone said:

Chuck could have come off as one-dimensional so easily if played by a lesser actor, but McKean brought so much nuance to the character that we'll be discussing Chuck's influence on Jimmy for years.

This!

On 7/19/2017 at 7:11 AM, maystone said:

I love Kim, and I'm super impressed with Rhea's portrayal.

And this!

• Love 7

Better Call Saul..returns August 6th!!..and Chicken Man is taking over...Jimmy and Kim go to War with Howard..and Mike meets the Germans...Oh the TWINS are having a Blood Bath Party!!!

• Love 2

Thx for the update. If there is a chat here, I will show up. They are suppose to have a Humans chat but it is an old thread. Do you know if we can start a new wnc thread for the new shows, or do the site monitors do that? 

Last season ended soooo long ago that, TBH, I'm not as hyped up for the season to start as I thought I'd be.  I'm not sure I'll be buying the season pass this year, I just might wait until it's on Netflix.

On 7/12/2018 at 5:58 AM, ByTor said:

Last season ended soooo long ago that, TBH, I'm not as hyped up for the season to start as I thought I'd be.  I'm not sure I'll be buying the season pass this year, I just might wait until it's on Netflix.

I'm getting MORE hyped up by the day, which is a problem, because I want to rewatch Season 3 to get back up to speed -- it was so long ago, indeed! -- which is a problem because I don't have Netflix, and I don't want Netflix. I DO have Sling TV, though, and keep waiting, and waiting, for AMC to start putting BCS seasons up on demand so we can prepare. But, nooo ... they seem not to want fans. Or ... what's that other word? ... viewers. C'mon, AMC: Be a nice guy -- at least toss us a marathon weekend.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, JFParnell said:

at least toss us a marathon weekend.

That's what I'm hoping for as I don't get Netflix or Sling. 

I have loved this show so much, but I was totally enthralled by the great sibling rivalry plot and I just can't imagine the show without Chuck.  I'll be watching though, it can go way downhill and still be a cut above most things on my rather basic TV.

• Love 2