Type keyword(s) to search

Better Talk Saul: BCS Only!

halgia
  • Start Topic

Here's a place for Breaking Bad-free talk. If you've watched any of the original series, you're welcome to post in here, but don't bring up Breaking Bad. (This is the equivalent of the Game of Thrones "No Book Talk" threads, not the Unsullied.)

• Love 4

http://eonline.com/news/622440/why-you-ll-totally-love-better-call-saul-even-if-you-never-watched-breaking-bad

According to co-creator of both shows Peter Gould:

We did strive to make it its own self-contained thing. When people ask if they're going to see [hidden cameos] in the background, there's nothing worse that feeling like you're not in on the joke when you watch something. I think that people will be able to understand and certainly follow the story without having ever watched Breaking Bad. It's definitely going to add a dimension because you have a better sense of the direction of the story. But none of the episodes hinge on the knowledge of Breaking Bad.

• Love 3

Lol. 

Do you guys see how hard it is to detach our line of thinking from BB?  All 3 of those titles suggested above (by Bcharmer) are nods to BB episode titles!!!   That's exactly what I have been saying in the other threads -- it is next to impossible for the BB viewers to separate from BB when addressing anything BCS-related.  It's not that anyone is coming here to the BCS forum to discuss BB episodes.  There is a BB forum for that.   It's just that it's too hard to not somehow reference BB in the course of discussion (or in thread titles!!).  Lol.

• Love 1

Do you guys see how hard it is to detach our line of thinking from BB? All 3 of those titles suggested above (by Bcharmer) are nods to BB episode titles!

Grounded: No "Breaking Bad" Talk

Unplugged: Breaking Bad–free discussion

Off the Grid: Breaking Bad–free zone

ETA: Or mix & match the heds & deks.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

"All 3 of those titles suggested above (by Bcharmer) are nods to BB episode titles!!!"

Of course, I did that on purpose. :)

Yes, I knew that -- and I thought it was clever/funny -- because I watched BB and know the titles, but the people who did not watch BB would not know that those are references to the titles.  They're not 'in on the joke,' and this is supposed to be the thread for no BB references.  Isn't it?

I thought that the whole point of this specific thread is that it is a safe zone -- it's not supposed to be taken over by BB 'winks, nudges and inside jokes' or, as lucindabelle mentioned in another thread, "meta references."  Think of this as the thread where people who have no clue what happened on BB come to discuss only what happens on BCS, as they see it.  They are coming in with a blank slate, and BB does not really exist for them. 

We have our other threads here in the BCS forum where we can refer to BB if an occasion comes up.  But does this thread have to be one of them?  Is there truly no safe zone for the non-BB viewers?

So, in keeping with the "no BB" talk theme of this thread, I think that editorgrrl's title choices or Nashville's title choice are the best.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 4

So, in other words, don't even mention that you can't mention "that show which shall not be named?" All the thread suggestions have "Breaking Bad" in them, one way or another. You can't avoid that, or how else are you supposed to know what you can't talk about? :)  I don't think a reference to an episode in the thread title is going to hurt anyone, or spoil anything. At least it wouldn't to me, if I'd never seen BB.

• Love 1

So, in other words, don't even mention that you can't mention "that show which shall not be named?" All the thread suggestions have "Breaking Bad" in them, one way or another. You can't avoid that, or how else are you supposed to know what you can't talk about? :)  I don't think a reference to an episode in the thread title is going to hurt anyone, or spoil anything. At least it wouldn't to me, if I'd never seen BB.

Your thread titles were different, though.  They refer to specific BB episode titles.    To me it seemed pretty obvious that a thread that has the language "Here's a place for Breaking Bad-free talk" and  "If you've watched any of the original series, you're welcome to post in here but don't bring up Breaking Bad" in the yellow box at the top of it means that we should just avoid referencing titles, events, cross-references between the shows, etc.,  at all costs.   

Why have a BB-free zone with a thread title that directly references a BB episode (even though it is clever and funny)?  Then it becomes an even murkier situation, as people don't know which inside jokes or meta references they can make, when there really shouldn't be any made here.

I'm trying to look out for the people who have not seen BB and may not see it -- the ones who are not in on the joke.   I was one of the ones championing for a separate, no-BB thread for non-BB viewers, even though for me, personally, I have said it's hard to separate one show from the other at this early stage of the game because of all of the BB tips of the hat in the first two BCS episodes.  It's nearly impossible to disconnect one show from the other and deal with BCS as a separate entity.

In all of the other episode threads for BCS we can refer back to BB, as was already the case.  I will mainly be posting in those threads -- where we can freely talk about BB references, plot developments and inside jokes that pop up on BCS, but I think it's important to get further clarification about what this thread can include/cannot include before going further -- to make sure we are all on the same page, literally and figuratively, and don't ruin the BB-free thread for the non-BB viewers.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 4

ALL Better Call Saul / NO Breaking Bad Talk Allowed

ALL Better Call Saul Talk, If You Break Bad here, you will be jailed.

Well, we could just keep it plain and simple.  Frankly, I really don't think it will have that many posters, but giving them their own thread seems like a good idea.  I don't intend to post here, because it's much to easy too accidentally slip.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1

Well, one topic that's appropriate for this thread is what's up with Chuck? There's a 15-year age difference between the actors, and I didn't catch any mention in the dialogue of Chuck's relationship to Jimmy. But the character page at AMCtv.com says Chuck is Jimmy's older brother.

In my opinion, electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS) is a psychiatric disorder.

• Love 1

Well, one topic that's appropriate for this thread is what's up with Chuck? There's a 15-year age difference between the actors, and I didn't catch any mention in the dialogue of Chuck's relationship to Jimmy. But the character page at AMCtv.com says Chuck is Jimmy's older brother.

In this episode they both referred to "Mom", which is a pretty decent indication that they're brothers, I think. (I originally thought Chuck was Jimmy's dad who he called by his first name, but it seems kind of unlikely he'd do that and still call his mother "mom".)

• Love 3

I would be curious to hear from people who started with this show cold, without watching that other unnamed show.  I think (whatever the creators say) this is a mistake, if you want to get the most out of this fictional world.  But I'm still really curious: is it that (as Alan Sepinwall speculated) that a dark show about a meth dealer is unappealing, but a dramedy about a lawyer is another story?  Don't like Bryan Cranston?  Have cable/satellite but not Netflix and missed BB when it was on?

ALL Better Call Saul / NO Breaking Bad Talk Allowed

ALL Better Call Saul Talk, If You Break Bad here, you will be jailed.

Well, we could just keep it plain and simple.  Frankly, I really don't think it will have that many posters, but giving them their own thread seems like a good idea.  I don't intend to post here, because it's much to easy too accidentally slip.

Good point. When you know stuff, it's hard even to know what's a spoiler or meta reference.

I would be curious to hear from people who started with this show cold, without watching that other unnamed show.  I think (whatever the creators say) this is a mistake, if you want to get the most out of this fictional world.  But I'm still really curious: is it that (as Alan Sepinwall speculated) that a dark show about a meth dealer is unappealing, but a dramedy about a lawyer is another story?  Don't like Bryan Cranston?  Have cable/satellite but not Netflix and missed BB when it was on?

I saw Breaking Bad about three times in the final season--otherwise, not at all. I had many challenges in my health and personal life in those years, and I could make the time for only one series. (It was Mad Men.) Incidentally, Canadian Netflix doesn't have BB (it doesn't have much).  I love Alan Sepinwall, and I don't know where he made this comment, but I don't like the implication that someone who didn't see the show must have done it because they're a lightweight. 

II'm still rather limited in the time I can give to a tv series, and right now, Better Call Saul is it. I'm absolutely dazzled by it ... can't think of an aspect I don't absolutely love. It's like Antonioni meets David Lynch meets the Coen Brothers. Screwball violence. And I don't think I'm getting less out of it than people who watched Breaking Bad. I think I'm just getting something different. Yes, I don't see the goings-on in the context of knowing how the characters develop in Breaking Bad. To me, everything is fresh and intriguing and new. That doesn't mean it isn't as stimulating, horrifying, tragic and hilarious to me. It is. And it doesn't mean I'm "getting" only part of it; sometimes it's the newbie that sees things that others have gradually gone blind to. (Sorry, it sounds like I'm doing a "nose-blind" commercial here.) So I'm sure it all balances out in the end. If Better Call Saul wants to a great show, it will have to reveal its riches to anyone. And so far it is doing that, at least for me. I'll carry different things away from it than others, but that is true for all viewers, whether they've seen BB or not.

I'd also like to say how much I love a character (Jimmy/Saul) who talks, and talks, and talks, and talks. It's hard to justify reams of dialogue for a character, but talking is the way he survives. It's as though he's bargaining with fate every time he opens his mouth. Verbal acrobatics at the drop of a hat.

• Love 8

I wouldn't actually say that about Nacho... (it's very tiny).

Warning: Stay away from the Better Call Saul Podcast. Two pretty big BB spoilers in the one for the third episode (it's the only one I've listened to, so I would guess they are all minefields).

• Love 1

Ok I and my. Either who is a lawyer are both living better call Saul. I didn't avoid breaking bad I just didn't for whatever eason watch it, tried watching it last year to catch up as it was ending and while I enjoyed the first two episodes wasn't hooked. Maybe I'll try again.

But in the meantime InLOVE this show!!!! It's hilarious.

Caught up to episode three last night on demand. Love that saul is still trying to be good and loved his catching the family. Especially loved the kids flat thank god about returning to society. I mean what did the kettle mans thing they were going to do, stay in the tent with their cash forever?

And I loved the flashback with chuck, before chuck went nuts.

• Love 3

I mean what did the kettle mans thing they were going to do, stay in the tent with their cash forever?

And I loved the flashback with chuck, before chuck went nuts.

That's a good question.  Maybe they were going to pull a Sound of the Music and hike/camp their way to Mexico.  With that kind of cash, they could probably buy their way over the board.

I also liked Chuck before Chuck went nuts mainly because I think Michael McKean became a whole different person with that wig.  I'm still unsure of him in the present day.  It's not that I think it's a bad story, it's just that I think I'm more interested in other aspects.

Last B Br mention from me (I think, I won't make any promises.)  For me, I got hooked on the third episode but TV was kind of different back then. It's amazing how having one successful show do some things leads to multiple copycats.  For others, it was the third season.  If you enjoy BCS, I would definitely suggest you give it another shot if you have time to binge.  I think you'd like it.  But I also don't agree that you HAVE to watch it to appreciate BCS.  You'll just appreciate it differently than those of us who watched BB and I think that will be interesting to read.

Thanks I def mean no disrespect to Bb it's just more a time issue,

Apologies for multiple autocorrect issues! It's my brother who's now hooked, he's a lawyer.

It does seem like saul is more good than bad... I do know he will be bad because show opens that way so am wondering how, thought his doll observation was pretty smart and was surprised and pleased when mike changed his mind,

It does seem like saul is more good than bad... I do know he will be bad because show opens that way so am wondering how, thought his doll observation was pretty smart and was surprised and pleased when mike changed his mind,

What do you mean "show opens that way"?  Do you mean the black and white deal in the first episode?  What was "bad" about him there?

What do you mean "show opens that way"?  Do you mean the black and white deal in the first episode?  What was "bad" about him there?

My take on the B&W cold open was that Gene (the Nebraskan Cinnabon manager) felt like Saul Goodman (the fast-talking lawyer) was speaking directly to him (from the VHS tape he'd hidden in a shoebox):

Do you feel doomed? Have opponents of freedom wrongly intimidated you? Maybe they told you that you're in serious trouble and there's nothing you can do about it. I'm Saul Goodman, and I'm here to tell you that they're wrong. It's never too late for justice.

The Cinnabon scene shows that Gene is afraid. But did he think that guy was a hitman or a cop? The Rusty Nail and the tears suggest he's depressed. Managing a Cinnabon in Omaha is a huge step down from being lawyer. The mustache and glasses, coupled with the fear, suggest he's on the lam. Gene clearly feels "doomed" and "intimidated" and "in serious trouble" and "there's nothing [he] can do about it." But is he bad? I couldn't tell.

• Love 2

The opening scene in Ep. 1 certainly let me know that whatever he is going to do comes to no good.

I guess it's natural to think in terms of good and bad, since we all know this spins off Breaking Bad, but my take on Saul is that he's not a bad man or a good man, but a weak man--a terribly weak man--at least at the moment. And his gift for spinning tales, schemes and explanations doesn't always serve him well, in terms of stepping up to do the right thing. (It does serve the plot awfully well, though.) He is horribly confused. I'd almost feel contempt for him, but Odenkirk shows me how terrified he is, so I feel sorry for him. He makes me laugh, and I want to shake him til his teeth rattle, all at the same time. 

• Love 1

Jimmy seems to be an asshole cursed with a conscience.

When drunk, he feels sufficient compassion to warn the Kettleman family, yet when stone cold sober verbally abuses a senior citizen for doing his job.

Have you ever addressed a senior as "geezer" regardless of how agitated he or she made you?  Have you ever suggested that same senior citizen has a "poopy diaper?"

Jimmy's no nice guy.   If he's headed down the road to crime and wrong-doing, it's because that's his nature.

• Love 4

Have you ever addressed a senior as "geezer" regardless of how agitated he or she made you?  Have you ever suggested that same senior citizen has a "poopy diaper?"

I'm a senior citizen, and you have a point.

• Love 1

My take on the B&W cold open was that Gene (the Nebraskan Cinnabon manager) felt like Saul Goodman (the fast-talking lawyer) was speaking directly to him (from the VHS tape he'd hidden in a shoebox):

The Cinnabon scene shows that Gene is afraid. But did he think that guy was a hitman or a cop? The Rusty Nail and the tears suggest he's depressed. Managing a Cinnabon in Omaha is a huge step down from being lawyer. The mustache and glasses, coupled with the fear, suggest he's on the lam. Gene clearly feels "doomed" and "intimidated" and "in serious trouble" and "there's nothing [he] can do about it." But is he bad? I couldn't tell.

My feeling from the VCR scene is that Gene misses being Saul, or at least the persuasive chatty live-by-your-wits extrovert, instead of introverted assembly line pastry cranker-outer.  His talents are being wasted, or I should probably say "wasted" in his current incarnation - at least to his mind.  Those commercials are the glory days, when he had some semblance of control and knowing who he was.  I don't know how to reconcile it with the fear, but he'd probably be afraid of discovery regardless.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 2

I was because it feels like a joke I should have heard before but I don't think I have.  It would be funny if that's where it comes from.

As for Bob's response to that question...I think I can only answer that by referencing Breaking Bad (thereby breaking my no BB talk rule).  I think he's basing it on what he knows about the character from Breaking Bad but Breaking Bad wasn't the Saul Goodman story so we really didn't get his perspective or live his truth. We experienced him as other characters experienced him whereas with this show, we pretty much only get his perspective.   I think viewers who have seen Breaking Bad will be discovering the true origin stories along with the non-viewers even if it may conflict with things we've seen Saul say.     

But we're a long way from that time so I'm guessing Bob is just offering what he thinks he knows. 

SPOILERS FOR EP. 4 HERE (not sure if I should label for spoilers here)

For me, the highlight was the moment when Mrs. K tells Jimmy that he's the sort of lawyer who represents guilty people. Until then, Jimmy's been fairly comfortable with himself, advising them to give the money back and then refusing when they try to bribe him. He does downshift a little when he tries to do a deal with them (and his conscience) about taking a retainer from the money. But it looks like a death-blow when Mrs. K implies that everyone assumes he's a bottom-feeder. I loved the long take of Jimmy just absorbing that, that whatever he does, who he does it for and how much honor is involved, people will always think he's shady. He really saw himself through someone else's eyes, and it wasn't pretty. I don't think he'll really recover from this. There was a whole lot of hurt in his reaction. I expect that pretty soon he'll take some pleasure in living down to his reputation ("if that's what they think of me, then that's what I'll do"), rather than doing it reluctantly.

Odenkirk was wonderful in that scene.

• Love 4

Anyone else surprised saul goodman was a joke. I could have sworn I heard odenkirk say to terry gross that saul goodman was the name he took to sound Jewish

I am betting that the answer is "both" -- it's a riff on "it's all good, man" AND it appeals to Jewish clients. Someone who changes their name might immediately think of using a private nickname, or some sort of jokey riff on their name, and then realize that in fact, if they change it that way, it will work on several levels.

I am betting that the answer is "both" -- it's a riff on "it's all good, man" AND it appeals to Jewish clients.

In a 1970s ep of All In The Family, Archie Bunker has a lawyer visit him at home and he ends up sending him away saying, "Go back where you came from and send me a Jew!"

I guess I can't mention that other show, but the explanation was there, and it wasn't about appealing to Jewish clients at all. The idea is that if you want a really good lawyer then you need to hire a Jewish lawyer. It's a stereotype, but that meme has been out there for many many years. Maybe you have to be from New York or LA to appreciate this. Frankly, I never understood why that would be a thing in ABQ.

• Love 5

I guess I can't mention that other show, but the explanation was there.

Please don't mention Breaking Bad. It doesn't matter if you know the answer. This thread really is for people that have not watched Breaking Bad. It's not enough to simply avoid the subject or pretend you haven't watched. Imagine watching season 4 of BB and having people hint at the outcome the entire time? Not fun.

I don't mean to single you out Tabasco Cat and thanks for being a good sport. I used your post as a jumping point but it isn't personal.

• Love 2

I enjoyed "Alpine Shepherd Boy" but I didn't think it was quite up to the quality of the others. I enjoyed each scene, but taken together they didn't "sing," if you know what I mean. In the first four eps, the narrative skittered all over the place, but it all hung together in a loopy, screwball kind of way way. This one, not so much. That said, there are many things I really loved. The elderly woman who needed a will and the seniors at the nursing home were great. Like everyone in the show, those seniors are a little bit (or very) weird, but they aren't being made fun of because of their age. (Kim's words in defense of the elderly was pretty strong, and for me, that was the context for the two scenes in which they appeared.) I have an aunt in a nursing home who would have given Jimmy the death-stare when she saw the advertising at the bottom of her jello cup.

You know what I found really moving? The way Chuck kept informing the police about his legal rights through the front door, not knowing that they had already left, gone to the back of the house and were already shining their flashlights inside. I actually teared up when I heard his voice addressing no one at all, unaware that the direction of the threat had changed. It showed how isolated and vulnerable he really is ... and did that better, I thought, than the hospital scene. You'd think a hospital scene would be naturally dramatic, but I thought it was the episode's weakest link.

All in all, it seemed like one of those transitional episodes that exist mostly to get the central characters from point A to point B. (Point B would be at the edge of the cliff.)  It's always seemed obvious that Mike would return in a big way, and this episode gave that a kickstart. It also put Jimmy's relationship with Chuck into crisis mode, and it seems clear that losing Chuck (either through death, or to a mental institution) will make Jimmy stop struggling with his dark side and just give in to it.

I liked it very much. Didn't love, but every series has its little ups and downs. 

P.S. The music from The Third Man (when Jimmy was at the nursing home) was fantastic. I also loved that Mike was watching an Irene Dunn scene from The Awful Truth. It's a movie all about lying to yourself and others.

• Love 2

In what alternate reality do people call the police about a newspaper? I guess arizona? The star ledger guy forgets us about 30% of the time and gets so offended when we complain he's left us his home number, we'd feel sorry for him if he didn't drive a bmw and boast about a second home, just bring us our paper.

Wow I was really believing in chucks illness until the doc flipped the switch, now I don't know, but I think jimmy is right that chuck can't be just talked out of it,

I haven't watched bb but of course I know jimmy a going to be on it which means he probably won't wnd up in elder law. Which is too bad. I really like him and think the loonies and lack of biz are sad for him.

That said the chandler toilet was hilarious,

Agree that this episode wasn't quite as strong as the previous few but I'm still all in?

(edited)

I was really believing in chucks illness until the doc flipped the switch, now I don't know

A lot of illnesses wax and wane. I have a chronic illness, and can be feeling great for two hours, and then be flat on my back for the rest of the day. Personally, I would bet that the series won't ever tell us if Chuck's illness is physical or psychological. Either way, he's in pain. And the ambiguity of his condition gives the characters around him lots of conflicted feelings to work with. It isn't an easy to decision to commit someone who you know is incompetent (e.g. advanced Alzheimer's). And it isn't easy to face the fact that your loved one has a physical illness but is doubted by his own doctors. That makes it even harder to make intelligent decisions about his care.

Re the newspaper: It struck me as odd too, but maybe the neighbour told the police that a man in a silver cape came scuttling across the street, falling and getting up again and behaving like a maniac--and to top it all off, he stole her paper. That may have peaked their interest on a really slow policing day.

Jimmy does work really well with the elderly, doesn't he? Talk about pouring on the charm. Didn't he compliment a man on his study grip and say whoa there, that's my will-writin' hand!

Though I found it a little slow, I am still all in. I am absolutely in love with this show.

Edited by duVerre

Personally, I would bet that the series won't ever tell us if Chuck's illness is physical or psychological. Either way, he's in pain. And the ambiguity of his condition gives the characters around him lots of conflicted feelings to work with.

When the doctor told Jimmy, "This 'allergy to electricity' isn't real—it's a manifestation of something deeper," Jimmy admitted, "I'm not saying it's 100% real, okay? But Chuck is smarter than you and me put together, so we're not talking him out of this, and I'm not sending him to a rubber room."

Later, Jimmy flat-out told him, "Chuck, I think you got sick 'cause you saw this story." And once they'd talked it out, and Jimmy reassured Chuck that "Slippin' Jimmy, he's back in Cicero, dead and buried," lo & behold—Chuck was well enough to make his own coffee.

Jimmy's definitely conflicted. Chuck is his role model, the big brother who bailed Slippin' Jimmy out of jail. So he's willing to be "the one doing the heavy lifting here." But Jimmy definitely knows Chuck's  condition has a psychological component.

• Love 1

Jimmy definitely knows Chuck's  condition has a psychological component.

I keep going round and round on this. I accept that Jimmy definitely believes there's a psychological component to Chuck's illness. But as a viewer, I don't necessarily believe it just because Jimmy believes it.

On the other hand, I don't think the writers can ever definitively say that it's a physical illness, for fear of viewers thinking that an "allergy to electricity" actually exists in the real world. And so far as I know, there's no such thing. Has anyone ever heard of something like this?

Either way, it's distressing to see Chuck, such a smart and loving person, trapped this way, literally in the dark. Jimmy's difficulty dealing with this is one of the ways I relate to him. Making medical decisions for someone you love is a grave responsibility, and Jimmy, who's so weak as person, will have to be strong.

But I relate to Chuck, too--for reasons that are probably too personal, because my own illness was once thought to be psychological--until science proved that it wasn't.

It's going to be awful, absolutely awful, to watch Chuck get committed, if that's what the show has in store for us. It would be unbearable for both characters.

A moment I loved--when Chuck asks Kim Wexler if she had ever seen him behave in a crazy way at the law firm. She looked down, smiled, shook her head and almost whispered "no." I think she was embarrassed, but it was also tender and sweet of her.

A moment I loved--when Chuck asks Kim Wexler if she had ever seen him behave in a crazy way at the law firm. She looked down, smiled, shook her head and almost whispered "no." I think she was embarrassed, but it was also tender and sweet of her.

The first time Chuck asked, Kim said, "Well, I'm not a doctor." Chuck asked again, and Kim said nothing—but he took it as a sign that she agreed with him. Chuck totally put her on the spot.

• Love 1

The first time Chuck asked, Kim said, "Well, I'm not a doctor." Chuck asked again, and Kim said nothing—but he took it as a sign that she agreed with him. Chuck totally put her on the spot.

Thanks for the correction. Funny what the memory does. I just re-watched. She doesn't say "no," but she does smile (sort of a grimacing smile) and she shakes her head to indicate "no." 

Another moment I loved--Chuck telling Jimmy, just before he leaves the sick room, "Jimmy? I want to go home."

• Love 1

I keep attempting to move posts into the character threads and I'm going to screw up.

But the character threads have Breaking Bad talk. Parallel discussions happen when you have two separate factions.

Admittedly, there probably won't be much BB talk in threads for Chuck, Kim & Hamlin, but still.

Right! Moving the posts would not be correct and the parallel talk is absolutely expected. It's the title that's not clueing my into the division because it's too closely worded to the Breaking Bad spoiler discussion. My plan is to be more careful unless there's any appetite for a title change (without completely halting BCS discussion).

• Love 2