Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Waiting For The Man

Episode Synopsis:

John and Zed return to New Orleans when Detective Jim Corrigan asks for their help in the case of a missing girl. Papa Midnite takes steps toward exacting his revenge on John. Meanwhile, the truth behind the Rising Darkness comes to light.

Yeah, blindsided by that one as well.  Not sure what to think about it.  I liked Manny as benevolent, but this has possibility.

The zombie was creepy, though not as horrible as the culprit.  Sad that there was no Chaz, especially if this ends up as the last.  Come on, Syfy.  Or Netflix.

• Love 1

Papa Midnite comes across as a two-bit voodoo operator who generally bites more than he can chew. And that was true way before the concluding confrontation with Manny.

I liked how quickly Corrigan agreed to dispatch the murderer. That is the swift and ruthless kind of justice which will serve his future self well.

Nice twist at the end. Overall a very good episode to end the season and perhaps the whole run of the show; that would be unfortunate, as the episodes aired will stand as signposts to great things that might have been.

• Love 1

Part of me was glad that Jim Corrigan survived this episode. With the future uncertain for the show, this wasn't a bad season/ series end.

The Manny stuff is still ambiguous as to what exactly is up with Manny. He may not be what Zed thinks, but there are many options for what else happened with the being who was talking to Papa Midnight. We are talking about beings who can shapeshift or glamour themselves, not unlike what John pulled (successfully!) on Papa Midnight.

This was one of the creepiest cases! I was so freaking scared for Vesta. I kept wondering why one named so close to a hearth goddess would be allowed to endure so much of that? ::shudders:: Maybe Hestia worked through John? *G*

I flinched when The Man shoved that brand at vision-seeing Zed. I think it's a combo of brands that red-hot and the feint to the eyes ( or so it seemed to me.)

I hope that Vesta's hair was really some candy floss. Just.. yuck. It was a neat sequence, but I wanted someone to give John a tissue for his eyes; eyes bleeding is not normal.

I hope that if NBC can't see to renewing this, that SyFy or AMC get it. The writing is getting tighter, the cast has gelled well, and the effects are very effective. It would be a shame if this bunch was broken up just now. Plus, where am I going to get my deeper meditations on life and morality? The Night Shift? Like LL Cool J says:" I don't think so."

Hmmm, I wonder if Manny is Lucifer? I have been wondering about Manny's grey wings.

I was thinking maybe he's Gabriel, and acting out of the same motivation that Tilda Swinton's version of the character was in the movie. At this point it's pretty clear the Rising DarknessTM isn't what it was in the comics.

• Love 1

This was a really great episode.  My only complaint was that I didn't understand a lot of what the Cajun guy said.  I hope this series gets renewed.  It has decades worth of source material to borrow from and a solid plot.  It makes me real disappointed when I watch Grimm afterward.

• Love 2

That Manny reveal at the end was something.  I hope there is more to do it, and he isn't just evil.  I like the banter he has with John, and I've really been digging the relationship he built with Zed these past two episodes.  But, helping out Papa Midnite certainly does put him in the best light at the moment.

Great seeing Jim Corrigan again, even if it probably meant no Chas (boo!).  I wonder what Zed's visions will mean.  Is there a way to stop his death, or is it already set? Granted, with this show, the question is will we even have time to find out?

The case itself was just alright, but John having to not only work the case, but deal with a bounty on his head, was a nice wrinkle.

I guess it's a wait and see, if NBC will pick it up or not.  If they don't, then I wouldn't be surprised if it gets shopped around, because being based off of DC comics, would probably have a few interested parties.  Have no idea if anyone would take it, though.  I guess it will depend on what the budget is, what the writers have planned, if the cast is still locked down, etc.

• Love 1

Almost forgot!  Good of Gary to give John a heads up on the bounty! Creepy as all get out, but good on ya, effects and props! ( I also flinched when the poor dead body's head thunked on the ground. Thanks, foley team! *g*)

That twist was good. Did not see that coming. Now I wonder whether he ordered Constantine's head on a platter and then changed his mind, or the Brujeria went rogue on him.

I like how they didn't even bother to come up with an excuse as to why Chas was not there. Lol, they assume the audience gets it by now.

Edited by kwerkee

We don't even know for sure that Manny was really the one who let Papa Midnite go.  Maybe it was another angel, a dark one, who was pretending to be Manny.  Maybe there's a spell that would let a non-angel pretend to be a real angel.  For all I know, Manny was corrupted by the nurse who gave him a blow job last week because she was actually an agent of the devil. 

Only by continuing the series will we know the truth.  NBC, make it so.

• Love 1
Great seeing Jim Corrigan again, even if it probably meant no Chas (boo!).  I wonder what Zed's visions will mean.  Is there a way to stop his death, or is it already set?

If you don't mind spoilers, you can read this article about the version of the character in the comics. You will then understand why Zed sees this green around his head and where the character is probably headed. Do not click if you want to remain pure and unspoiled.

• Love 1

What a great episode! I really hope we get another season, I would love to see where they are going to take Manny. I saw mention of his grey wings, and I have not noticed them until this episode. Were his wings grey before? I thought he was kidding when he said the Bruharia? worked for him, it took me a while to figure out that he might not be as pure as I thought. The numbers were steady so I hope that is enough to get another season. I like the 13 episode season.

Actually Manny was the first suspect that came to my mind when Papa Midnight mentioned a traitor, but I was hoping they wouldn't follow the American Constantine à la Tilda Swinton route. That being said, I still loved the episode and the whole new Orleans child bride vibe also reminded me of True Detectives....only creepier.

Hopefully the show gets renewed for another season, and yes, I agree, it's got so much more material to work with as compared to how Grimm is going.

Edited by MsChipper
  • Love 1

If they do get more episodes, I hope that it's revealed that the "person" with Papa Midnight was not Manny. If they stay the course, they need to find a way to bring in balance because the only two black characters on the show are the big bad evil monsters is more than a little problematic.

• Love 3

There are too many ways the ending can be spun. I said to Mr. Mojeaux, “That was a feint, and not well done.” So color me meh. Also, cynical. Too much THERE IS A TRAYYYYYTORRRR!!! [gotcha!] vibe. The promo people doth protest too much. (Likely I would have bought it if it hadn’t been so emphasized because there was only one candidate.)

Random thought: Zed is REALLY pretty. One of those people I just want to stare at like a bouquet of rich tulips.

I’m a reader, so TV really has to be special to keep my attention. This one’s gotten and kept it all the way through, which hasn’t been done since Ugly Betty. I really want it to stick around, but it won’t because *I* like it. You may all blame me if it’s canceled. Hrmph.

• Love 2

I liked it but it wasn't a satisfying finale, though that wasn't strictly the show's fault itself.

The potential alliance between Manny and Papa Midnite would've been great but now will never come to pass.

I did like the scenes with Constantine, Zed and Corrigan but shame there was no Chas in this one.

Didn't really care for the killer plot though, 7/10

• Love 1