Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Transitioning

Tara Ariano

That's what I thought at first. But I realized they went out of the way to show that Santana brought a jacket to the party and then she went on to ostentatiously drop it on the chair. I don't understand why they would even care to show such a mundane moment if it was just Spencer's Letterman jacket. No way to know for sure, but Finn/Cory was always the big cheerleader about how Glee was a family, to me that was a nice nod that he was included in the moment.

Why would Will leave Finn's jacket (quite rumpled even) on a chair for all to see, especially Santana, when he stole it from Santana in the first place, then let everyone blame Puck for it, and never gave it back?

Sorry, but I really don't think Will would do that, nor that the writers would give a subtle nod like that or even remember (or want to refer back to) the Finn jacket debacle of 'The Quarterback'. It makes much more sense that it was Spencer's jacket.

When watching the Blaine and Karofsky scene, I thought something I would've never anticipated: they make a better couple than Klaine, even when they're breaking up. Whereas I think Kurt tends to hold onto the ways Blaine has wronged him, and doesn't ever talk about it, Dave is able to get Blaine to come clean and get a conversation going. Furthermore, he seems able to let go of the hurt (even if it's unrealistic.). Even though I think this was a waste of the character, I'm glad they didn't end up making him a bad guy, and they let him do something.

Not that I disagree with Blainofsky being a better couple than Klaine (basically every couple would be imo), but just like Dave now it was Kurt who noticed something was wrong with Blaine in 4x03 and got him to talk about his cheating. Both times Blaine didn't bring his cheating up himself, but only confessed when his boyfriend basically pulled it out of him.

And Kurt forgave Blaine within a few months when Blaine actually had sex with a facebook random.

It did bother me that Dave was so understanding about it all, and even cheered Blaine on to get Kurt back. I thought it was nice that they didn't turn Dave into a bad guy (like they e.g. did with Adam and Brody) by not letting him get really mad and violent at Blaine, but it's very annoying that Blaine really never has to face any harsh consequences or serious calling-out for his shitty actions.

The first time he cheated he still was allowed to sleep in Kurt's bed that night and was called a good person and hero by Sam not long afterwards. And now the boyfriend he was living with and who he cheated on simply shrugs, smiles and sends him merrily on his way to Kurt with his blessing.

Edited by Glorfindel
  • Love 2

The first time he cheated he still was allowed to sleep in Kurt's bed that night and was called a good person and hero by Sam not long afterwards. And now the boyfriend he was living with and who he cheated on simply shrugs, smiles and sends him merrily on his way to Kurt with his blessing.

My headcannon is that Dave was sick of getting Blaine's hair gel all over his hands and was happy to see the back of him. I'm going with Blaine was an experiment for Dave in seeing if he liked alpha twinks instead of bears and is now ready to go hook up with an otter instead.

Can I just say, gay terminology is hilarious.

• Love 1

Not that I disagree with Blainofsky being a better couple than Klaine (basically every couple would be imo), but just like Dave now it was Kurt who noticed something was wrong with Blaine in 4x03 and got him to talk about his cheating. Both times Blaine didn't bring his cheating up himself, but only confessed when his boyfriend basically pulled it out of him.

And Kurt forgave Blaine within a few months when Blaine actually had sex with a facebook random.

It did bother me that Dave was so understanding about it all, and even cheered Blaine on to get Kurt back. I thought it was nice that they didn't turn Dave into a bad guy (like they e.g. did with Adam and Brody) by not letting him get really mad and violent at Blaine, but it's very annoying that Blaine really never has to face any harsh consequences or serious calling-out for his shitty actions.

Even though kurt did have that forgiving scene, he has made jabs about the cheating before (I clearly recall that one in Tested). I never felt like Kurt got over it, which is his perogative, but if can't talk about it properly with Blaine, he shouldn't have been engaged to him.

It was crappy for Blaine not to confess to the cheating, and I'm not really defending it. My only point was that Dave managed to handle what happened well. I don't want to say better than Kurt, but if they're going to be a couple, they need to talk about their issues, and Dave at least was able to do that.

Edited by phoenixrising

I never thought Will intended to keep the jacket forever, so I prefer to think that he gave it back. I doubt we'll ever find out for sure either way since I think it was supposed to be symbolic more than anything else.

• Love 1

I never thought Will intended to keep the jacket forever, so I prefer to think that he gave it back. I doubt we'll ever find out for sure either way since I think it was supposed to be symbolic more than anything else.

I'm sure his teacher having his jacket is way more meaningful than his mother having it... I'm going with it's Spencers

Edited by wayne67

I've watch the performances back, not watched the whole episode yet:

You Give Love A Bad Name - You give performing a bad name, stop it.

Time After Time - unless Jenna Ushkowitz is singing Glee needs to leave the Goddess Lauper alone. The performance itself lacked any emotion, the wall/scrapbook bit was weird. Anyone else notice only Sam, Mercedes and I think Kurt got in there. Also stop with the Kitty being nice to Rachel, I want my bitch Kitty back, and stop with her and Artie, it was creepy enough the first time.

All About That Bass - sounded great and I liked the party but still weird having Amber sing that.

Klaine duet - It was good, another nice party tune.

Same Love - I was with Vocal Adrenaline on every eye roll, sigh, face whatever. It just didn't work. Also Unique is 18, Alex is 22 can Glee stop dressing her like 70 year old Diana Ross.

I Know Where I've Been - Was gorgeous, just stunning, gave me goosebumps, and I'm a hard faced Scottish bitch, that's not easy to do.

On a couple of related notes. Have Bieste and Unique ever shared a scene together before? And can't they stop having Bieste get life advice from students, I make this the third or fourth time.

Also hearing Alex sing makes me even more pissed off we've had 'Otis' inflicted on us. Could you imagine Unique doing Mustang Sally?

I thought Unique giving Beiste advice was fine. She knows better than anyone else what the experience is like.

She doesn't know better than anyone, she knows better than anyone who is recognisable to the audience. And I get that they would have some shared experiences. But being a eighteen year old trans woman and a forty something trans man are also a world apart.

Also I'm still not sure how they know each other so well. They've never shared a scene, and would have no reason to know each other.

It was nice to see Will get a focus, though I can't believe he ended back at McKinley that quickly.  With people as intolerant as VA, taking them to listen to Unique and the choir sing would have been useless.  For once, I was happy with Sue's shenanigans with the hounds.

I just had to laugh at Dave's "no hard feelings" after finding out he was cheated on.  I have no problem with them bringing Kurt and Blaine back together, but how is having Blaine cheating on Dave with that kiss romantic?  They could have easily just skipped that, and have Blaine admit he has feelings for Kurt again after the song, break up with Dave (who could very slightly more believably have said "no hard feelings" with a straight face), only to be rejected like he was in this episode.  

Will's "One day they may be the best friends you'll ever have" is kinda pathetic.  Does he have any friends his own age?

No Jane singing again.  I guess she's the token ignored Glee Club member.  The Kitty/Artie love story really plays out well with absolutely no lines.  

It was nice to see Unique again.  Hopefully, we will see the other newbies at least once before the end.

I thought Unique giving Beiste advice was fine. She knows better than anyone else what the experience is like.

I don't think Unique is qualified to give advice on the matter as Unique's experience is completely different. Beiste is post op and has gone through tonnes of offscreen psychological assessments and is coming back as a man to a school teaching highschool football. Unique is... I don't know what Unique's story is any more to be honest since they jettisoned the character.

Beiste is Will's friend, so that's at least one friend his own age. Would Emma count?

I don't think they are actual friends. I think they were friendly coworkers. I don't remember the last time Beiste and Will interacted in any sort of friendship capacity. Emma doesn't really count as a friend for various reasons.

...Beiste...Not feeling the plot, although the actress did a brilliant job. The fact that he chose to be called Sheldon didn't help, because the only Sheldon I know is Sheldon Cooper and it felt like a joke.  But my main problem with this plot is that I liked better what Shannon represented when  she came to Glee: an evidence that not every woman in the world looks like Rachel, Santana, Tina, Mercedes... Some women are like Shannon or Sue

I hate that they retconned Bieste!  I know several girls like Shannon and they get so ticked off and so sad by people's assumptions about them. Just because they look tomboyish and enjoy doing jobs that are manual and require strength doesn't make them less as women nor mean they are lesbians or that they want to become men.. Shannon really represented women like them and now they've tossed that story completely out the window in an effort to jump on the transgender bandwagon.  They should have had Unique doing that storyline. Yes, I know Alex isn't a great actor (thuough he has improved considerably)and that Dot is a much better actress, but I just can buy Bieste doing a complete 180 degree like this. It offends me.

I can't believe the writers had Blaine cheat AGAIN. He has such poor impulse control that I'm not sure he could be trusted anymore.

I forsee (if Kurt & Blaine marry) that Blaine will need an open relationship marriage.  He's just too needy and too inconsistent to handle a monogamous relationship.  Hey, plenty of gay marriages/relationships have that kind of understanding, but it is not what Kurt is all about and so I see nothing but disaster ahead for Klaine.

• Love 4

I can't believe the writers had Blaine cheat AGAIN. He has such poor impulse control that I'm not sure he could be trusted anymore.

And I'm sure Blaine will eventually make a Dave puppet who will admit that it was all his fault Blaine kissed his ex.

I'm hardly a fan of Unique (as an actor, AN is a good singer), but seriously, no mention of what that character is doing now or any Kitty/Unique interaction? (Maybe there was a blink-and-you-miss-it moment at the end on stage that I, well, missed?) Just sing...twice for the (lost on them) benefit of VA members who were so moved the first time.

I'm hardly a fan of Unique (as an actor, AN is a good singer), but seriously, no mention of what that character is doing now or any Kitty/Unique interaction? (Maybe there was a blink-and-you-miss-it moment at the end on stage that I, well, missed?) Just sing...twice for the (lost on them) benefit of VA members who were so moved the first time.

Especially as in their last scene in 101 it's Unique who asks Kitty if she'll remain their friends after glee is over and Kitty say she will.

If there was one thing that stood out to me (and it was in the background) was Spencer, who had thus fan resisted the "gay" label now embracing his place as a member of the LGBTQ community with his willingness to come to Beiste's defense. And then having him dancing around the party in a pink petticoat and cowboy hat.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 1

I don't think they are actual friends. I think they were friendly coworkers. I don't remember the last time Beiste and Will interacted in any sort of friendship capacity. Emma doesn't really count

as a friend for various reasons.

I think Will and Beiste are definitely friends. Will was going to go with her to Rachel's opening night. And they were presented as being very good friends in. " Shooting Star." We don't see any of the various friendships interact much besides Kurt/Rachel, but that doesn't mean they don't exist,

If there was one thing that stood out to me (and it was in the background) was Spencer, who had thus fan resisted the "gay" label now embracing his place as a member of the LGBTQ community with his willingness to come to Beiste's defense. And then having him dancing around the party in a pink tutu and cowboy hat.

I don't know if Spencer was supposed to be supporting Beiste because he now features in the LGBTQ rainbow now, I read it as more being defending his football coach from assault from outside forces. Then again Spencer is such a hodge podge of characterisation I have no idea what's going on with him.

Spencer schemed to have Beiste fired so he could be a quarterback and then joined Glee because he was being sort of blackmailed into joining by Sam who held the quarterback position over his head. Spencer states that he doesn't want to be thought as gay by joining Glee even though he thinks of himself as a potential rock star but now apparently is fine with wearing a tutu and having pictures taken of the festivities. If this was a better show I could maybe fan wank that he was growing as a person and opening up to possibilities as being part of a team. However since they made the last 2 week/ Glee lessons about propping Rachel then I'm forced to conclude that they just dropped his post modern gay thing of "I'm a footballer who happens to be gay" and turned him into a gay footballer.

• Love 1

Yet another example of how badly this show does everything: nostalgia. This year's final Parks and Rec season has managed heartfelt, funny, silly, surprising and always loving callbacks to so many things and people and events. Glee reminds me of the old SNL skit where Chris Farley interviewed Paul McCartney:

Chris: Remember when you were in the Beatles?

Paul: Yes

Except, of course, the SNL skit was funny.

• Love 2

Will and Bieste seemed cordial and a little distant at the meeting in this episode, though. I would have expected Bieste to talk to Will about it before that meeting. I considered them friendly

co-workers as well.

I thought the distance was just because it was an awkward situation, and Will clearly knew that something was wrong. I don't think they're

absolute best buddies who hang out all the time, but I'd still call them " friends." Different strokes I guess.

So Dave bought a clue and realized Blaine was only giving him dat ass because he was kind of messed up and needed therapy. Meanwhile, Kurt is still giving up his ass to the old guy because he refuses the endgame thing he's stuck with next week. Good luck with the wedding next week. Nothing will make sense, but that's been true for a long time.

So Dave bought a clue and realized Blaine was only giving him dat ass because he was kind of messed up and needed therapy. Meanwhile, Kurt is still giving up his ass to the old guy because he refuses the endgame thing he's stuck with next week. Good luck with the wedding next week. Nothing will make sense, but that's been true for a long time.

I think the Glee Club all needs therapy and to get very far away from Will . They're all maladjusted people who think singing and overwrought speeches fix everything and in the Glee Verse sometimes it's true.

There are so many dodgy relationship and Klaine and Samchel are just competing to bury their respective pasts under the rug for a nominal 'happy ending'.

• Love 4

I think the Glee Club all needs therapy and to get very far away from Will . They're all maladjusted people who think singing and overwrought speeches fix everything and in the Glee Verse sometimes it's true.

There are so many dodgy relationship and Klaine and Samchel are just competing to bury their respective pasts under the rug for a nominal 'happy ending'.

What's so dumb is that they've had seven episodes where they could have at least tried to create a narrative around the two couples being viable but they've chosen not to because time is better spent with. Sue, Becky, and Vocal Adrenalin.

• Love 6

What's so dumb is that they've had seven episodes where they could have at least tried to create a narrative around the two couples being viable but they've chosen not to because time is better spent with. Sue, Becky, and Vocal Adrenalin.

Hell they could have used that stuck in an elevator to at least talk through some of the Klaine issues. Eg Blaine telling Kurt that he had sought therapy for his OCD like tendencies about keeping everything a certain way in his living environment and he's learning to let go more.

Of course it's far too late for that and Blaine is a cheater again and it's all so terrible at this point I can't even work up the energy to care about them. Which is a shame because an actual romance between two gay men in show choir could be interesting but they turned the entire relationship toxic and kept getting them back together without learning anything from the experience. It's too frustrating for words.

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 1

Okay, number one. Don't rap Glee. It's embarrassing. It's always been embarrassing. Number two. If you are going to cover Mary Lambert, Santana/Naya is the only acceptable person to cover her. I'm still cringing. 

Honestly, I'm loving this season. I don't take Glee seriously. And I don't know if it is intending to be as funny as it is, but it's hilarious. Between Rachel "Sabotaging" (actually paused the video and laughed at that one) her house sales, to Sue not tolerating bullying and then fat shaming. The show is just so funny. 

All the pictures weren't shown on Rachel's wall. It was supposed to be a Sam and Rachel moment. So they focused on them. Makes sense. And I agree about this being a fling. Rache's endgame is broadway. And they'll probably actually have Sam pull a Finn and send her off to New York. 

It's interesting that they had Karofsky know he was just a rebound. I thought Darren was excellent in that scene. He's got such an expressive face though, you can read him like a book. Just like it's been obvious from the get go that Blaine was still into Kurt. 

What is up with Kurt? He's trying to get Blaine while still dating the old guy? You know what, those two (Kurt and Blaine) are made for each other....

• Love 1

Im just laughing after a whole fucking season long arc where Blaine cheated and was angsting about what a horrible person he was, in the second committed relatiionship he's in, he cheats again. This time he's actually LIVING with the person he cheats on.

The boy is two for two. Batting one thousand.

The writers will willingly throw Blaine under the bus again and again and again.

If anyone bothered to see the episode, after Kurt rigs the wheel, it certainly seemed that Blaine knew what Kurt did. However He specifically mentions for Kurt NOT to tell Dave they are dueting togther, and even in their conversations cockblocks the Klaine talk several times by mentioning Karofsky. (We have to get up at 5 AM: translation: :Reminder Kurt, I sleep with Karofsky') He also mentions that there is no more chemistry between him and Kurt.

So in the middle of a coversation he kisses Kurt and then walks away without a word.

Here's the kicker, TWO days after cheating, Karofsky has to force the confession out of Blaine (still living with him) and even then Karofsky ends the relationship, NOT Blaine.

You couldn't write the shit to make Blaine look like the worst asshole ever. I mean, this rivals Season 2 Finn, and THAT is a high bar.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 5

I hate that they retconned Bieste!  I know several girls like Shannon and they get so ticked off and so sad by people's assumptions about them. Just because they look tomboyish and enjoy doing jobs that are manual and require strength doesn't make them less as women nor mean they are lesbians or that they want to become men.. Shannon really represented women like them and now they've tossed that story completely out the window in an effort to jump on the transgender bandwagon.  They should have had Unique doing that storyline. Yes, I know Alex isn't a great actor (thuough he has improved considerably)and that Dot is a much better actress, but I just can buy Bieste doing a complete 180 degree like this. 

At this point, with everything on Glee being barely watchable and not even in the so-bad-it's-good way I often felt about it, I'm apathetic to almost everything.  EXCEPT THIS.  The whole Bieste transitioning story line makes me so angry for exactly the reasons you state.  

"All About that Bass" was the episode highlight.  I'm known for my terrible taste in music.

I'm hope the show ends with Rachel dying and we actually see her flying to heaven and being given a pair of wings by a Finn look-alike.  Artie can die with her and walk again, and we'll learn that he'll spend eternity with 72 virgins who look like Kitty.  Sue can slip on a banana peel and die.  At least I'd laugh. 

• Love 1

I'm hope the show ends with Rachel dying and we actually see her flying to heaven and being given a pair of wings by a Finn look-alike.  Artie can die with her and walk again, and we'll learn that he'll spend eternity with 72 virgins who look like Kitty.  Sue can slip on a banana peel and die.  At least I'd laugh. 

I love that idea. How about the gas leak in the choir room kills them all and they all have one last terrible musical number together while their corpses rot. THEN And only then do they learn the New Noobs names and maybe they'll even let them have some solos.

They probably still have that whole heaven background so it's not like it'll require much effort and would cap off this crap fest forever.

• Love 1

So a kiss now constitutes "cheating"? I think that's stretching it a bit. Wasn't even heavy petting so I am not sure cheating really applies. Regardless, Dave knew Blaine wasn't ever really "with" him since the get go, it was only a matter of time. Blaine seems to be the only one oblivious to that fact.

• Love 2

Oh my now we are retconning the Blainofsky relationship. They moved in together. I think that spells out a somewhat committed relationship.

Just a wild guess, but the way Blaine reacted when Karofsky guessed that he was the one initiating the kiss with Kurt, indicates that neither Karofsky nor Blaine thought what Blaine did was acceptable. It wasn't facebook fucking levels of cheating I grant you.

Per Blaine's own standards ("Don't cheat on me!) it was certainlyt cheating, and he acted like it.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

So a kiss now constitutes "cheating"? I think that's stretching it a bit. Wasn't even heavy petting so I am not sure cheating really applies. Regardless, Dave knew Blaine wasn't ever really "with" him since the get go, it was only a matter of time. Blaine seems to be the only one oblivious to that fact.

I'm fairly sure hiding interactions with your ex implies that you're not in an open relationship which usually precludes kissing other people. Is heavy petting even a thing in the Glee Verse, usually everyone has sex or kiss, nothing in between kissing and sex. Or is foreplay not a thing in this universe ? Lol

I did find it funny that Dave assumed it was only a kiss. I was like "Um what makes you think they would have stopped at kissing Dave?"

Edited by wayne67

Maybe I am old-fashioned (or just old), but I think kissing (especially kissing an ex) constitutes cheating. Blaine obviously knew this, and Dave picked up on his guilty demeanor and asked about it. Whether or not Dave seemed okay with the cheating and subsequent breakup isn't the issue - it's that Blaine cheated AGAIN. Despite the fact that last time he cheated we had a season's worth of Blaine solos about how sad he was, he repeated the behavior. 

My first nitpick was Blaine saying, "I sung a duet with Kurt." I thought the hallowed halls of Dalton Academy would have taught him how to conjugate a verb properly.

Apparently Kurt's shoulder shimmy dance is contagious because i saw Rachel doing it during the party.

I would have been okay with a picture of Sam from RHPS if there had been other people in the photo because then it would just be another cast picture from a show they did together, but to have a picture of just him in his gold shorts on her photo board seemed weird for all the reasons people mentioned earlier.

Same Love - I was with Vocal Adrenaline on every eye roll, sigh, face whatever. It just didn't work.

Ugh, me too. If Will wanted to win over the VA kids, the LAST thing he should do is rap.

• Love 1

I'm surprised I haven't yet seen any angry press about the fact that both of the trans characters are being played by cis actors in drag, a fact which the trans choir drew attention to. Maybe because no one is actually watching Glee who would care.

• Love 1

Just sing...twice for the (lost on them) benefit of VA members who were so moved the first time.

Heh, that was one of the few things I found really funny. VA went through the trouble of bullying Beiste so the New Directions would spend the week on a tolerance lession, just to find themselves as the audience of a 300 people trans choir.

You couldn't write the shit to make Blaine look like the worst asshole ever. I mean, this rivals Season 2 Finn, and THAT is a high bar.

I agree. I always tried to still like Blaine and find headcanon reasons for his behavior, but I could not even watch the breakup scene with Dave. Blaine was so horrible and Darren's performance was so embarrassingly over the top whiny that I had to hide behind my hands. It's not even that Blaine made mistakes, everyone does, but he is a mess from start to finish. After Kurt broke up with him he was not even capable to do what was necessary to stay an NYADA, then immediately came back to Ohio and moved in with David Karofsky. That is so messed up and pathetic that in no way is Blaine stable enough to try another relationship with Kurt. I am a Klainer at heart (who ignores everything Klaine past S3 to be honest), but what Blaine needs is a lot of therapy and what Kurt needs is an independent, happy life in New York. Let's talk about a reunion in 2k25.

Edited by Shukkhy

I'm surprised I haven't yet seen any angry press about the fact that both of the trans characters are being played by cis actors in drag, a fact which the trans choir drew attention to. Maybe because no one is actually watching Glee who would care.

True. And those who would still be scrutinizing aren't exactly mainstream: http://www.autostraddle.com/a-tale-of-two-trans-characters-glees-trans-representation-problem-273108/

I think the mainstream view of cis actors playing trans characters has been current acceptance, ever since the trans advocates lost the battle with Neil Patrick Harris.  I haven't heard much complaint about Jeffrey Tambor on Transparence.  Plus, the situation with Alex Newell is a bit difficult - has he ever definitively said how he identifies?  Alex performed as a woman on the Glee Project, and is so young and relatively not-famous.  

Edited by ancslove