Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Transitioning

Tara Ariano

Since they need 12 members to perform, why aren't they going after Unique to rejoin?

Because they're not going after anyone to join the Glee Club because they're too busy at the moment 'mentoring' Rachel through her rough patches to bother. I'm sure at the last minute they'll grab some random people at the end of the season to win Sectionals with to undermine all the hard work and discipline that the other teams have been engaged in for however long to prove HEART is more important than having a team together to practice together more than a week before a competition.

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 2

... I'm sure at the last minute they'll grab some random people at the end of the season to win Sectionals with to undermine all the hard work and discipline that the other teams have been engaged in for however long to prove HEART is more important than having a team together to practice together more than a week before a competition.

That still drives me nuts. In 6 seasons they have yet to learn that practice and planning/preparation is so important.

When you look at it you could say that Mr. Shue's mishandling of the Glee Club and competitions was actually what ruined Rachel's work ethic and led to her bad choices at NYADA & on Broadway.

Edited by Casual Viewing
  • Love 3

That still drives me nuts. In 6 seasons they have yet to learn that practice and planning/preparation is so important.

When you look at it you could say that Mr. Shue's mishandling of the Glee Club and competitions was actually what ruined Rachel's work ethic and led to her bad choices at NYADA & on Broadway.

Ah, more endless rumination when I'm waiting at a intersection for the light to turn green. Does Murphy think he *is* showing a positive work ethic? Does he think all you need to win competitions is clear eyes and full hearts? Are the teaching incompetences we see over and over again his peculiar brand of humor that we're supposed to disregard whenever we're supposed to think the teachers are uber competent? How can you be so bad at something and yet still be lauded as though the crap you produce isn't crap? How??

I found it hilarious that Will thought he could moralise to VA as if they valued his opinion. Those guys want to win, they don't care about lessons about morality or being better people. I think Mercedes is the only person that has the right kind of work ethic, she wanted something and she got denied and she struggled to find her own way to do what she wanted and kept at it. Rachel tried Broadway and got bored, Sam did modeling for a New York minute and was done, Kurt interned at Vogue and wandered off back to Lima to help Rachel for reasons that are beyond me.

the situation with Alex Newell is a bit difficult - has he ever definitively said how he identifies?  Alex performed as a woman on the Glee Project, and is so young and relatively not-famous.  

According to a wetpaint article (not the ideal source I know) Alex doesn't considering himself transgender. He has showed up at events in high heels though, so he doesn't seem to care about gender norms that much. 

I found it hilarious that Will thought he could moralise to VA as if they valued his opinion. Those guys want to win, they don't care about lessons about morality or being better people. I think Mercedes is the only person that has the right kind of work ethic, she wanted something and she got denied and she struggled to find her own way to do what she wanted and kept at it. Rachel tried Broadway and got bored, Sam did modeling for a New York minute and was done, Kurt interned at Vogue and wandered off back to Lima to help Rachel for reasons that are beyond me.

Not that I agree with Kurt going back to Lima to prop up Rachel, but I think it was mentioned in one of the episodes (though I'm drawing a blank rn when) that his internship of Vogue ended. And although it's stupid compared to real life college, Kurt gets study credits from NYADA for running the glee club, so he didn't just wander off and forgot his responsibilities.

Also: like Mercedes Kurt also struggled and worked hard to finally get what he wanted: NYADA, and he's in his 3rd year, making no stupid choices so far (although arguable him choosing the glee club in Lima as his NYADA internship could fall in that description). He clearly has no bad work ethic, besides maybe his tendency to share too much of the earnings of his own hard work with his bff and (ex-)bf, but I digress.

So if Will's bad example of bad work ethics rubbed off on Rachel and maybe others (Blaine, Sam, Brittany and Santana come to mind, who all either dropped out of college and/or gave up a career because they got bored) it indeed didn't affect Mercedes, but also not Quinn, Mike, Artie, and TIna, who are all still in college. Even Puck cleaned up pretty well eventually, and also Finn before he died.

Like all the other characters Rachel made her own decisions and is the only one responsible for her own mistakes in the end, bad example in high school or not.

But I agree that Will seems to have learned nothing since he left ND for VA, changing songs at the last minute and being more concerned with the (PSA) lesson of the week than actual rehearsing and preparing for competition. And though I really dislike the attitude of the VA kids, they were right that Will was not a good show choir coach for a team that wants to win.

Having said that: I really liked Will in this episode, and though it wasn't worked out well in this episode (nor at other times throughout the seasons), Mr. Shue is supposed to be the good, caring teacher who puts his students' well-being above winning. It's a pity that writers who say they care so much about the arts education don't seem to care at all about portraying that in a realistic, professional, and positive way in their show.

Edited by Glorfindel
  • Love 1

It's a pity that writers who say they care so much about the arts education don't seem to care at all about portraying that in a realistic, professional, and positive way in their show.

What's even more pitiful is that I think the writers really believe they are portraying arts education in a realistic, professional, and positive way, so... Yeah. There was never really any chance for Glee to be anything other than what it is.

• Love 3

Will hasn't modeled a good work ethic for the kids, but I don't think it's fair to blame him for Rachel's failings. She's a grown woman who's fully capable of making her own decisions.

In this particular episode I didn't have any problems with Will, though. He needs to find a happy medium, but IMO he was right that there's more to show choir than rehearsing like soulless robots. I had great choir teachers in high school, and even though both of them were very focused on winning, they also really wanted us to enjoy the whole experience. That's the element that was missing for VA. They were also awful, so in this particular case I didn't mind Will's moralizing.

I was just able to see this episode in full yesterday. I really hate that VA guy and his stupid weird lisp thing he's got when he talks. And that he has sung 664657648 times while Will hasn't at all. And I don't even care much about Will. But Emma! I had no idea I missed her so much.

Also really enjoying the random Sam/Kurt background moments.

And damn it I kind of love that Klaine duet. It's a fun song.

An okay episode. I just wish with Beiste's storyline there had been some actual foreshadowing for it but at the same time, it's nice to see the gang defending Sheldon's honour and having Unique back was great as well.

Vocal Adrenaline are pretty vile, so Will eventually quitting and getting back at McKinley in some made up role wasn't too shocking to be honest.

Nice to know that Emma's still alive.

The Rachel plot was pretty meh. I do think they're pushing her and Sam a bit too much though. Same with Kurt/Blaine and that breakup with Karofsky as well.

None of the songs did it for me this week, 7/10

I was wondering after the passed couple of episodes why they brought Kitty back to completely ruin her character. She used to be a fun character who knew she was the hottest bitch in the room and that anyone who didn't think so could kiss her ass. And they turn her into a pathetic version of Kitty who worships Rachel Berry.

I thought she was a total pill in her original incarnation, so I don't see the character as ruined at all.  She's willing to bend the rules... the only difference it's to help the Glee Club now.  Teenagers grow up, and I'm glad she did.

• Love 1

I thought she was a total pill in her original incarnation, so I don't see the character as ruined at all.  She's willing to bend the rules... the only difference it's to help the Glee Club now.  Teenagers grow up, and I'm glad she did.

She hasn't grown up, she's just become pathetic, clinging onto to Rachel Berry like a leech.