Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Transitioning

Tara Ariano

Surprising good episode all things considered. Liked most of the songs and I didn't feel it was overly heavy handed. I am happy to see Blaine get his act together and really look forward to next week.

On re watch, hate Same Love, they need to make him stop rapping.

Blaine really shouldn't be around so much, he has his own job and life outside of McKinley.

Kurt and his passive aggressive wooing of Blaine really bugs. I, for one, am tired of Blaine being the one who has to make all the grand gestures and declarations. Come on, I want a Kurt proposal, something to at least make it seems he is invested in Blaine and their future.

Bieste's storyline is still ridiculous. I still don't buy her wanting to be a man. And she could have kept her own name, Shannon is a gender neutral name. Sheldon seems ridiculous.

Glad for Emma's front to be seen this week.

Vocal Adrenaline need to be bitch slapped, every single one of them. I think their actions in this episode would be enough to boot them from the team or more likely expell them.

And because it cannot ever be said enough, Darren and Chris looked pretty amazing in this episode. And would it have killed the writers to remember what happened last time Kurt and Blaine were in Rachel's basement?

Edited by MizStaken
  • Love 1

Nice to have so much Will in this episode especially since this was Will at his best. Fighting for the underdog and trying to teach his kids some empathy.  Just wish he would have sung more.   Also I may have squealed when I saw Emma.  Love Jayma and Emma continues to have the best wardrobe on the show.  Still don't like the Beiste transitioning story but Unique was used well here and Alex was awesome in both of her songs. The trans choir was a wonderful moment

On the downside

• I just can't get into Sam being Beiste's prodigy.  I miss Puck in that role.
  • Wasn't a big plot last year that Sue was completely insensitive to Unique's issues when it came to being bullied in the bathroom?  Now she is all supportive of Beiste.  I guess it is time do a 180 so they can humanize Sue.
  • Having Mercedes meta call out that she is basically a prop to Rachel does not make it less annoying.
  • Kurt & Blaine's duet was bad although the group dancing around was cute
  • The Sam/Rachel duet sound much better in the digital release than on the show.  Strange because the other times their songs sounded better on the show
  • Very repetitive to set up VA as the strawman especially since I have always agreed with them about one thing - the need to practice

Other thoughts

• Is Blaine still coaching the Warblers?  He spends all of his time at McKinley
  • I feel like the Sam as Finn lite stuff continues to be very obvious. His BW pep talk felt very reminiscent of the many times Finn told Rachel you are going to be a star.  Not to mention that Sam's picture was front and center on Rachel's high school picture wall even though he wasn't front and center in her high school experience. 
  • For that matter the whole picture thing was jarring because there was no Finn anywhere.  I realize there are sensitivities due to real life circumstances but if they can't include something like that without it being a jarring disconnect with what we actually watched they should have done something different.  If not for that disconnect it would have been a  lovely sequence.

It kind of feels the show is completely erasing Finn/Finchel right now? But maybe that's my interpretation? I don't know. I just felt.. during the Rachel takes all of her pictures down.. it felt that way. I really hate that.

I felt that way, not because the pictures were coming down, rather because there were no pictures of Finn on Rachel's high school wall in the first place.  Instead Sam was front and center and more than that his picture was put in page 1 of her scrapbook about high school.   I get that life moves forward but it bothers me they are retconning Finn out of the past.    

Edited by camussie
  • Love 11

This episode was a real mixed bag. A few good moments, but man... did we have to wade through a lot of shit to find them.

As opposed as I am to the whole Beiste transgender storyline (because it completely flies in the face of the character since Beiste was introduced), I have to admit that the scene with the trans choir really got me choked up. Dot was amazing here and is a perfect example of a great actor able to transcend subpar material. She really sold it and made it work. And good use of Unique... her vocals are still amazing and it was a great use of her character.

Blaine is still the most awful person on the planet. This was the first moment (during the Klaine duet) where he shows any interest at all in Kurt (and what is it that he can't figure out that he loves Kurt until he sees Kurt singing). And cheating again, Blainers? Run, Kurt... run away with charming Walter (who I'm so glad wasn't dumped just because Blaine decided that he wanted his toy back). And thankfully Max was able to carry the break up scene, because Darren was basically a block of wood sitting there.

Samchel continues to show a total lack of chemistry and the erasure of Finn was really frustrating (and offensive). Not one picture of Finn on Rachel's Wall of Memories? The guy who she wanted to spend her life with? Sure...

And is there anything that Rachel won't throw a pity party for herself over? Her house getting sold requires the whole club to throw a party in her honor? What would they do in the case of a real crisis... like maybe one of their friends at risk of losing his only living parent or facing death threats? Oh yeah... maybe a solo sung and then back to business as usual. Seriously girl.. grow up already!

Glad that Will finally quit because he was not strong enough to change the VA win at all costs culture. Admittedly I liked the scene of him interacting with Kurt and Rachel as peers.

• Love 2

The Will plot - and seeing Will and Emma interact - were definitely the best parts of the episode.  They're so good together.

Also, apparently in Glee-land, all exes are supportive of your next relationship:  First Mercedes supports Samchel (which made me angry, but at least Sam and Mercedes had broken up, and several months elapsed), and now Dave is totally fine with Blaine returning to Kurt?  Talk about absolutely ridiculous.  But good on Max Adler - he definitely did what he good with that plot.  

And me three on:  Seriously NO pictures of Finn on that board?  They could have even given used it as a moment of some closure - you know, a picture that Rachel kisses and puts away, clearing the deck for Sam.  What the fuck ever.  

• Love 2
And me three on:  Seriously NO pictures of Finn on that board?

The more I think about it the more it ticks me off.  Finn doesn't need to be brought up every episode but in an episode where Rachel's high school memories are used as a central plot point he dang sure should be part of that.  Instead they put Sam at the center of her wall and then in the first page of her high school scrapbook and don't acknowledge Finn's existence at all.  

And people wonder why I say they are clearly trying to sell Sam as Finn lite.  It is because of crud like this.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 4

The more I think about it the more it ticks me off.  Finn doesn't need to be brought up every episode but in an episode where Rachel's high school memories are used as a central plot point he dang sure should be part of that.  Instead they put Sam at the center of her wall and then in the first page of her high school scrapbook and don't acknowledge Finn's existence at all.  

And people wonder why I say they are clearly trying to sell Sam as Finn lite.  It is because of crud like this.

And weren't Rachel and Finn pretend married in that bedroom?

I really don't care much for Rachel and Sam duets. Their voices just don' t complement each other in my opinion.

Sam is sweet but I don't see any chemistry between them other than friendship. The lack of Finn in the photos was weird. Were the writers trying to avoid Finn to Sam comparisons? If so they failed.

Best parts were Will scenes & Will & Emma scenes. How I missed Emma!

Sue's words to Vocal Adreniline did make me laugh.

Still don' t want Kurt with Blaine. Blaine is Mr. Wishy washy. He has the constancy of a weather vane.

Boy can Alex sing! I'd forgotten just how good he is. I also liked Mercedes & Roderick's singing.

• Love 1

Yes but that I didn't expect that to be referenced.  I did expect him to at least have a presence on her high school picture wall.  

The lack of Finn in the photos was weird. Were the writers trying to avoid Finn to Sam comparisons? If so they failed.

I think trying to avoid the comparison, through blatantly putting Sam front and center while erasing Finn, made it an elephant in the room.   I know this isn't the story they are trying to tell but it comes across like Rachel is deliberately trying to erase Finn and replace him with Sam, someone the show is saying is very similar to Finn.  To me that isn't moving forward at all but rather trying to bury the past in an unhealthy way.  

On a completely different note Kurt/Rachel really aren't very good coaches.  They only have 6 students and they haven't taken the time to get to know them?  If this show cares about arts and education at all it will end with both Kurt and Rachel acknowledging that while they were glad to have this time with ND to get their lives together they simply don't have the gift for teaching like Will.  Doubt that happens, though, because teaching has never been treated as noble a profession as being a star on stage.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

Random thought that struck me at the time:  Why were Rachel and BLAINE egged together?  I mean, I could see VA egging each coach - but it should be separately, Rachel at McKinley, and Blaine at Dalton.  Or if they wanted to egg two coaches at the same time, then it should be Rachel and KURT, not Blaine.  What even?  

The only reason I can see for egging Blaine instead of Kurt is that it's *funny* to egg Blaine, but ^bullying* to egg Kurt?  And of course they wouldn't do two separate egging scenes, so they lumped them together, even though it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  ...  And once again I am sure I have spent more time trying to figure out this logic than the writers, who just said, "Oh, let's egg someone!" "Rachel" "Blaine" "Let's do them both!"  "Done!"

The only reason I can see for egging Blaine instead of Kurt is that it's *funny* to egg Blaine, but ^bullying* to egg Kurt?  And of course they wouldn't do two separate egging scenes, so they lumped them together, even though it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  ...  And once again I am sure I have spent more time trying to figure out this logic than the writers, who just said, "Oh, let's egg someone!" "Rachel" "Blaine" "Let's do them both!"  "Done!"

My guess is it's because we can't have one fracking scene without The Cheating Prince of Hair Gel.

• Love 7

I agree that picture of Sam wouldn't have been up through high school. If she wasn't with Finn, maybe because it would have been a funny picture from a musical she almost starred in.  But she was with Finn and Finn was self conscious about his physique, especially in comparison to Sam, so having a half naked sam on her wall would have just been inviting tension in.  And now of course i have put more thought into it than the Glee writers.  

As for why Blaine and Rachel were egged not Rachel and Kurt - because they wanted to have VA egg the coaches of both of their competitors and since the show barely acknowledges Kurt as  a coach of ND he doesn't count.  

Edited by camussie

Random thought that struck me at the time:  Why were Rachel and BLAINE egged together?  I mean, I could see VA egging each coach - but it should be separately, Rachel at McKinley, and Blaine at Dalton.  Or if they wanted to egg two coaches at the same time, then it should be Rachel and KURT, not Blaine.  What even?  

I'm starting to think Murphy had to turn in the first few scripts of the season to the Fox suits and in those scripts it was Rachel and Blaine coaching ND but Fox said, "Nope!" and made him put Kurt in there instead. All the Blaine hanging around at McKinley, singing with ND, getting egged with Rachel, etc. makes sense if he's the ND co-director.

• Love 4
Samchel continues to show a total lack of chemistry and the erasure of Finn was really frustrating (and offensive). Not one picture of Finn on Rachel's Wall of Memories? The guy who she wanted to spend her life with? Sure...

I spotted at least one picture of Puck on the wall but none of the guy she dated for years and almost married twice.  Sounds reasonable.  I noticed they didn't put the plaque back up in the choir room either.

It would be easy enough to handle, just throw in a line about how it was too hard to have them there after his death so she took them down and put them away, but that would mean acknowledging that he existed in the first place.  I appreciate that they're not spending the whole season dealing with the fact that he's gone but never mentioning him rings false. People die and it sucks but that doesn't mean you never talk about them again.

I hate the Beist storyline so much, for all of the reasons mentioned here.  I loved her when she was first introduced, she was a straight cisgendered woman who loved football and, more importantly, was really damn good at a job that is not always welcoming to women.  She was already an anomoly and she had the potential to be one of the very few strong female characters on this show.

• Love 8
I appreciate that they're not spending the whole season dealing with the fact that he's gone but never mentioning him rings false. People die and it sucks but that doesn't mean you never talk about them again.

Exactly.  Rachel and Kurt are doing the job Finn was going to college for and neither one say a word about how strange it is?  Rachel has a wall full of high school memories and not one Finn picture but Sam dang sure is at the center of it.  

l.  

I think by trying to avoid the comparison through blatantly putting Sam front and center while erasing Finn it made it an elephant in the room.   I know this isn't the story they are trying to tell but it comes across like Rachel is deliberately erasing Finn and replacing him with Sam, someone who has similarities to Finn.  To me that isn't moving forward at all but rather trying to bury the past in an unhealthy way.

On a completely different note Kurt/Rachel really aren't very good coaches.  They only have 6 students and they haven't taken the time to get to know them?  If this show cares about arts and education at all it will end with both Kurt and Rachel acknowledging that while they were glad to have this time with ND to get their lives together they simply don't have the gift for teaching like Will.  Doubt that happens, though, because teaching has never been treated as noble a profession as being a star on stage.  

Yes, it was a very big elephant in the room, good way of expressing it.  Lack of Finn photos made me also wonder when Rachel put them away?  If she took them down after he died because it was too painful, I could understand.  But if she hasn't come to grips with her grief enough to put some photos of them back up by now, then she hasn't come to terms with it yet and like you said is trying to bury the past in an unhealthy way.

As for Kurt & Rachel's coaching and not knowing their students, that was a Huh? moment for me.  My grade 1 teacher (right up to her passing still knew me by name and would also ask about my brother -who was much older than me.)  Good teachers get to know their students and inspire them. Glee disparages teachers as much as possible.

I keep hoping that Will did learn something from coaching Vocal Adrenaline (ie. that preparation and practice are important.)  If he could meld that with his lessons of the week and inspiring students then Will would have made an important journey over the course of the series. 

On a side note, I really, really dislike Vocal Adrenaline this year.  The first year of Glee when VA won I was perfectly happy with that. The year Jesse coached and they lost I wasn't happy.  This season I want VA to get stomped on because their lead singer is cocky but has no sense of humor or any redeeming qualities. Jesse at least hesitated in egging Rachel and regretted his actions later.  Unique was an enjoyable lead for VA. Even Sebastion of the Warblers I liked, but this new guy (and I refuse to even learn his name) is completely unlikeable. I don't care for his voice either.  Alex/Unique blows him completely out of the water vocally.

Edited by Casual Viewing
  • Love 2

As for why Blaine and Rachel were egged not Rachel and Kurt - because they wanted to have VA egg the coaches of both of their competitors and since the show barely acknowledges Kurt as a coach of ND he doesn't count.

Pretty much that...or VA knew Kurt could rock the egged look.

It's ridiculous how much time Blaine spends at McKinley. And since when are Blaine and Rachel such BFFs? Whatever.

Another week of diminishing Kurt's co-director position--how dare he try to change the lesson plan?! Good thing it was for Rachel's benefit. (Seriously, I'm with the twins--another 'it's all about Rachel' moment. She's supposedly been an adult for a few years, but they all need to pull together and help her. That's fine, if there wasn't just an episode all about helping Rachel through an aspect of her life.)

I guess Artie is on some work study program too where he can just hang out at his old high school for weeks during the semester. (At least it seems Becky finally remembered she's enrolled in college.)

And really, is it that difficult to come up with lesson plans? It seemed like Mr. Shue just pulled them out of his arse most of the time...

Um, Sue? You're the biggest bully of them all, but sure, you're Miss Anti-Bully. OK...

Yes, Finn was suspiciously absent or if he was there in a group shot, too hard to see. It bugged me through the initial airing of it and I rewound to check out the board.

I wonder if Sam spotted her Finn tattoo...seems like he may have had the opportunity to...

Boy can Alex sing! I'd forgotten just how good he is.

What a voice.  Alex is one of the few Glee performers who could entice me into buying a solo album, if he ever finally gets it out. The scene with the transgender choir was Glee at its finest, both musically and dramatically.  I wish the whole season rose to this level.

• Love 1

It's a very long-established convention in film that when a couple embrace and fall horizontally beneath the frame they are having sex. (I point this out because there were people who actually believed in the S4 Finnus Interruptus episode that Rachel was only going to make out with Brody, as though she were still a middle-school virgin.) You can either have Finn on the wall or you can have Samchel sex, but you can't have both. Glee made the wrong choice. "Time After Time" didn't absolutely need to be a post-coital serenade. Rachel can sing erotically without having just gotten laid.

Edited by Higgs

What a fantastic episode. Every storyline was on point and Glee managed to cover a topic without giving it so much focus that it didn't make it look like an afterschool special nor was it tasteless in it's delivery. 

The Samchel storyline is continuing to deepen and it's very clear that both of these characters are going to fall in love with each other. Soon Sam will realize that he doesn't just want to be a picture on her wall. He wants to be so much more and next weeks promo looks promising. However I'm going to discuss something that many people will probably just gag on but parallels. Glee loves loves loves those parallels. Always have, always will. It's a way for them to reinforce connecting ideas while also showcasing comparisons between characters/relationships. In S1 the parallel couples were Wemma/Finchel in S2 it was Wemma/Finchel again, S3 and onward it was Finchel/Klaine.

Samchel and Klaine is the very clear parallel this season is setting up but it's not the only one. 

For Samchel/Klaine

Both of their stories really got going because of Sue Sylvester's meddling of all things but in the end her scheming didn't do what she wanted to do.

Both of their "interested third parties" gave their blessings to each of the couples.

They sang duets in the episode that showcased their feelings for each other and in both cases the couples shared a kiss.

I didn't like the fact that the Klaine/Samchel double date had to be post-poned thanks to Walter of all people but maybe in the future it can happen?

Now another parallel this episode brought up, Samchel/Wemma. This whole season they've made a parallel that Rachel Berry is Will Schuester's protege, she's playing the Will role. Sam is playing the Emma role, and I do not mean OCD. Amazingly enough they use Emma's return episode to showcase this. By this I mean, Sam and Emma being their respective rocks.

Both Will and Rachel are going through transitions in their lives and basically hating it and Sam and Emma are their rocks, comforting them and telling them that things are gonna be okay and that you have to do what's gonna make you happy in the end. The wall and Will's job at VA represented the same thing, a hold on both of them and Sam and Emma basically gave them the nudge to let it go and they did. Both of them.

Now the final thing to discuss is the promo. I loved the shot of Sam and Rachel, because in the background were Burt and Carole. If there's anybody that understands what it's like to lose the first love of your life and go out there and find love again is Carole and she found it with Burt. So I just love this shot for many reasons.

I love love the Will storyline and I really am enjoying the writing for VA. They're just so evil. I loved this episode.

Really, Kurt? You had to fix the spin so you'd land on Blaine? God forbid you sing with anyone else. Whew, good thing Blaine looked away and no one noticed you did it. i would've preferred a Kurt/Artie duet. Too bad he couldn't have used his non-powers as co-director to ensure Rachel was paired up with anyone but Sam for yet another duet. How many has it been now? It feels like too many. Maybe if she sang with one of the new kids, she might stand a better chance of remembering their names. (And now Kurt's apparently guilty as well about not caring enough to know basically anything about five new people. That is a lot! I guess he doesn't need that info for NYADA. He can make that all up when he writes his report at the end of the semester.)

Karofsky was way too accepting about the breakup. That scene just needed something more.

(Blaine did look absolutely devastated when there was egg in his hair gel. LOL)

Finn was on the board but it was a dream when Rachel sang Don't stop believing at her audition.  And they had Barbra the sow pig on the wall.  That said why they just didn't Kurt didn't bring over a picture of Finn and give Rachel a little squeeze of the hand while they both put it in her album was really strange.  Especially considering the first 4 episodes they did mention Finn twice and made sure to show the plaque or his football jersey.   I have to think they  (Rachel for Finn) still have some moment I am thinking the plaque will make its way back to the choir room. 

Anyway I can't  say it was bad episode it was another one that was just there.  

Yes the  are giving Rachel stories but they just aren't doing anything with them.   As I said last week they are just skirting around them. 

Karofsky and Mercedes should date they both are so even keel about relationships and break ups. no harm no foul I guess.

The Bieste storyline was  hey look I  want to be  man, then now hey look I am a man  .  It takes more then a few weeks for you  and the people even those who love you to adjust. 

Edited by tom87

NGL, the fact that Kurt and Walter are fucking like Rabbits is my head canon, even Samchel approved.

Head canon? No need. It's fact. Samchel approved? Who the hell are they not to? What does anyone think they're doing?

Sam is Rachel's rock? I hope she discovers he's more a pebble in her shoe.

Edited by Higgs
  • Love 4

But she was with Finn and Finn was self conscious about his physique, especially in comparison to Sam, so having a half naked sam on her wall would have just been inviting tension in.  And now of course i have put more thought into it than the Glee writers.

Yeah, I feel fully confident in saying that was never brought up in the writers' room.   I just have no doubt about that.   

I can't decide if we were suppose to pick up that Sam is now bros with Kurt and not as much with Blaine.  it was subtle, but it was there.  It's probably a side effect of Sam being Finn-lite.  But I do appreciate that they did apparently figure out (two seasons too late) that the Blam stuff was just obnoxious.

And Unique can't follow Will back to McKinley because.... ?  I actually would have liked a quick synopsis of what school she is at and is she still competing?   They should have given her a scene with Kitty.

This show continues to get worse

Upside

Sue saying the school is 100% anti bullying before going off to fat shame a student was hilarious in a "You've got to be shitting me" kind of way.

The songs were okay

Downsides

Samchel is dull, Klaine is dull

Rachel requires her 5 new students to help participate in an exercise to get her to act like an adult AGAIN?
That they don't seem to be bothered finding new students to participate in Glee

That Mr Schue is heading back to McKinley as an alumni consultant (like Kurt, Rachel, Mercedes and Artie)

Blaine runs the Warblers and yet is always at McKinley

That nothing on this show has any continuity or relevance

Edited by wayne67

Head canon? No need. It's fact. Samchel approved? Who the hell are they not to? What does anyone think they're doing?

Sam is Rachel's rock? I hope she discovers he's more a pebble in her shoe.

I consider Sam a fling.  He's easy on the eyes and he's balm for Rachel's bruised ego, and then of course there's his physique.  The fact that the photo of him in those gold shorts from RHPS is the featured pin-up on her wall, enforces that idea as far as I'm concerned. I just cannot take Samchele seriously in any way, shape or form.

Why is Rachel getting blame again for what other people decided to do?  She didn't set up the party.  Once again she did not ask anyone for help.   I get the frustration over them keep helping her it is not good writing, but it still is not her fault.

I consider Sam a fling.

I agree, Sam is  a easy going cute TRANSITION for Rachel.   This whole season is a transition for Rachel.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

Not her fault but it gives the impression she can't make it through life without everyone stopping whatever they are doing and helping her through her latest crises.  Since so many people react that way to Rachel's latest obstacle that tells me that her friends have no confidence in her ability to handle her life.  That makes her weak.

Beyond that both she and Kurt suck for being so focused on their latest dramas that they haven't taken the time to get to know the kids.  

Edited to add - exactly wayne67.  Sure Sam was pushing the issue but all she had to say was no.  I can handle my life  Getting these kids ready for sectionals is what is important.  

Edited by camussie

Why is Rachel getting blame again for what other people decided to do?  She didn't set up the party.  Once agan she did nt ask anyoen for hlep.   I get the frustration over them keep helping her ii is not good writing, but it still is not her fault.

I agree, Sam is  a easy going cute TRANSITION for Rachel.   This whole season is a transition for Rachel.

Because at any point she could say "NO Let's focus on the students who are still in this Glee Club and Highschool and focus on getting ready on Sectionals, I can deal with my own life thanks."

No one pointed a gun at her head to make another Glee Club week about her and her issues.

• Love 1

Well she did try to turn  down the help last week and it only doubled back on her....

Again not a good storytelling but just do not get why people say she did something when she didn't.

Anyway - The build up for the Beiste storyline didn't live up to build up.   The choir was nice but the story didn't have much impact.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

Well she did try to turn  down the help last week and it only doubled back on her....

So she gave up without a fight and had the Glee club lesson hijacked and she is a grown adult who is supposed to be teaching these kids adversity in times of struggle how to perservere and I'm supposed to find the Rachel support group endearing ?

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 1

So she gave up without a fight and had the Glee club lesson hijacked and she is a grown adult who is supposed to be teaching these kids adversity in times of struggle how to perservere and I'm supposed to find the Rachel support group endearing ?

Omg it is fiction and a comedy and five other adults seem to be in on the plan  but ok Rachel is the one who is wrong

• Love 1

Just went back and rewatched the scrapbook and I noticed something else.  They cropped Mercedes out of the S2 prom photo.  They really went out of their way to try and make it seem like Sam/Rachel had this big connection in high school.  

Edited by camussie

Just went back and rewatched the wall scene and I noticed something else.  They cropped Mercedes out of the S2 prom photo.  They really went out of their way to try and make it seem like Sam/Rachel had this big connection in high school.

That just sounds weird and creepy.

Thing is they didn't have a huge connection in high school, but they did have moments where they obviously gave a crap about each other. That they didn't have a big connection actually works better for this relationship, but making it seem like they did takes it from what could be a sweet short term relationship to get Rachel back out there to looking like she is literally replacing Finn.

Not her fault but it gives the impression she can't make it through life without everyone stopping whatever they are doing and helping her through her latest crises.  Since so many people react that way to Rachel's latest obstacle that tells me that her friends have no confidence in her ability to handle her life.  That makes her weak.

Beyond that both she and Kurt suck for being so focused on their latest dramas that they haven't taken the time to get to know the kids.  

Edited to add - exactly wayne67.  Sure Sam was pushing the issue but all she had to say was no.  I can handle my life  Getting these kids ready for sectionals is what is important.  

She did say no.  But people want to blame Rachel for everything even when it's five people pushing the issue at her...

Because at any point she could say "NO Let's focus on the students who are still in this Glee Club and Highschool and focus on getting ready on Sectionals, I can deal with my own life thanks."

No one pointed a gun at her head to make another Glee Club week about her and her issues.

It's a set up to sing songs.  WTF of course nobody pointed a gun.  Nobody pointed a gun at everyone to "rally" around her either.  This argument is bonkers.

Edited by dizzyizzy01
  • Love 1

She did say no.  But people want to blame Rachel for everything even when it's five people pushing the issue at her...

It's a set up to sing songs.  WTF of course nobody pointed a gun.  Nobody pointed a gun at everyone to "rally" around her either.  This argument is bonkers.

Except they could have had the transition lesson being about either Unique or Beiste so the set up for songs being let's prop Rachel for the 6th time to deal with her emotional issues as if that's necessary doesn't fly for me.

Instead of Sam being so concerned about Rachel not having her childhood home he could have used the Glee Club to support Beiste who went through a major change.

Rachel is supposed to be guiding the New Nu directions to Sectionals with Kurt's help, which is why SHE FINANCED THE GLEE CLUB. That makes her responsible for their success since she set them up to fail, if she can't take her mind off her own problems to do that then I BLAME HER. You may disagree but that's my opinion and if you want to argue that, then argue your point instead of saying my argument is bonkers without arguing whatever your point is.

No one is arguing  that it is a good storyline.  The fact is the writers wanted a lighter story due to the other   3 main story lines here and that was a party at Rachel house and since they had already brought up the house being sold they used that.  

If your problem was that they rally around Rachel again then say that but instead you  said "Rachel requires her 5 new students to help participate in an exercise to get her to act like an adult AGAIN?"  That did not happen so it was pointed out.

They did 4 stories  loosely based transitioning storylines, Bieste, Will,  Klaine and Rachel(Sam).  All on going storylines.

Except they could have had the transition lesson being about either Unique or Beiste so the set up for songs being let's prop Rachel for the 6th time to deal with her emotional issues as if that's necessary doesn't fly for me.

They did that at VA why would they do that at Mck too, as I mentioned they needed a lighter storyline.   Only one of the songs  was really related to Rachel, 2 about acceptance/tolerance, one about Klaine and one for fun.

Edited by tom87

Will was having a lesson about tolerance and had Unique there.  Why would they do that at Mck too?

No one is arguing if that is was a good storyline.  The fact is the writers wanted a lighter story due to the other   3 main story lines here and that was a party at Rachel house and since they had already brought up the house being sold they used that. 

Will started that lesson because he was annoyed that VA egged two people he was friends with not because it had anything to do with VA's winning at sectionals.

Glee's lesson plan was TRANSITIONS, which could have been applied to Beiste as Sam is supposed to be close to him. Rachel lived in New York for 3 years without needing songs to prop her up.

As for what you bolded. I don't think that sentence makes actual sense. Pick a tense please .

Edited by wayne67

i think the Beistie story had so much less impact because on screen it was so jarring o see what had already been mentioned so many times; the SL simply didnt match the character and his history.

Beistie would put on makeup to look and feel pretty and this guy with facial hair seemed out of left field.

• Love 1

i think the Beistie story had so much less impact because on screen it was so jarring o see what had already been mentioned so many times; the SL simply didnt match the character and his history.

Beistie would put on makeup to look and feel pretty and this guy with facial hair seemed out of left field.

Really it had zero build up but  a couple of lines a few episodes ago.   I guess on the plus side they didn't do much to mess it up.

Honestly, I don't know where the writers are going with the Rachel story-line because it doesn't make sense and it doesn't make Rachel look good. Maybe the writers are doing all of this to show us how much people love Rachel and are there for her. Because when I contrast how the writers make Rachel deal with failure with how they write Mercedes deal with failures, it's like wow.  

Mercedes left Lima without anyone, not her family or friend but Sam encouraging her, to go to another state by herself. She went there, she did what she needed to do, to get a deal. When the deal didn't work out because they wanted her to be someone she wasn't, she came back to Lima for a minute. She got some support from Kurt and Mike. She worked it out herself and decided to go back to LA and try again. She didn't care that she had to sell her cd from the back of her sad looking car. She got lucky and got another deal. These are not the only time Mercedes have pick herself-up from failure and keep it moving. 

I think they write Mercedes like that because of the racist trope that black woman are strong, don't need anyone, not even love, in order to do what they need to do. But also because the writers don't care about showing Mercedes receiving love and support from other characters, outside of a love interest, Sam, when he is available and they don't need him for someone else. 

But with Rachel, I think the writers want fans to see her as such a special snowflake, that they are taking away her agency, her strength, her fight and determination in order to make that happen. I hate it. 

Rachel's story would have been so much better if the writers didn't feel the need to have Rachel be prop-up in order to show how much she is love and supported. The same way her love life would have worked better if the writers didn't feel the need to force romance on her with the only available, able-body white guy left on the show. The writers are going out off their way to make Glee the Rachel show, but they are doing it in a way that is a disservice to the character.

• Love 7

I don't think you can make a tv show this bad unless you are expending a limitless amount of purposeful energy to do it. If everyone was simply disinterested, looking toward their next project, etc. this show would be maybe half as bad as it actually is. I think you'd still remember what had happened in prior episodes--and if you didn't, you'd probably ask someone standing nearby. Or, you know, take 20 seconds and google it. Even if you were simply counting down the days until you were free of the show, you'd still have some understanding of how human beings live on the earth and would probably use that understanding to write plausible scenes.

I think I'm still watching at this point because I just can't believe it. I can't believe Rachel and Kurt are "coaching" the glee club. I can't believe Sam works at the school and Blaine works at Dalton. I can't believe we're not following these characters into adulthood. I can't believe after two and a half seasons of hemorrhaging viewers, the decision was made to double down on everything that chased the viewers away.

I can't believe an entire production crew can be so astonishingly unaware of the absolute shit they are producing. It is beyond mystifying.

• Love 7