Type keyword(s) to search

Peanuts: The Charlie Brown And Snoopy Thread

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

Good Grief!!!

Will the Peanuts holiday specials air "for free" on network TV this year????

or will we have to subscribe to Apple TV?????

Apple TV (which has already created the very funny and informative Snoopy In Space series

and is also fast at work on yet another Peanuts series)

apparently has purchased the rights to the holiday Peanuts specials.

Does that mean that all of us will be getting a rock for Halloween this year???   Stay tuned.

All I can say to this is "Fuck you, Apple."

14 hours ago, Dani said:

Great Pumpkin will stream outside of the TV+ paywall from October 30 through November 1, allowing anyone, even viewers without an Apple TV+ account or device, to watch. (The Apple TV+ app is available on numerous non-Apple platforms and devices.) Similarly, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving will debut on the Apple platform November 18 and stream for free from November 25 through November 27. Apple said A Charlie Brown Christmas will begin streaming on Apple TV+ on December 4, and will have a free window from December 11 to December 13.

How will this even work?  Again, fuck you, Apple.

• Love 9

I know it's a free country and all and Peanuts and Apple and ABC (if they still have rights) can decide to do this. But, I do think they're a bunch of jerks to do it the first year that kids aren't going to be able to go out trick or treating.

• Love 4

and still more people are discovering that "It's The Great Pumpkin" is not on their TV lineup this year.

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

How will this even work?

Great Pumpkin will stream outside of the TV+ paywall from October 30 through November 1, allowing anyone, even viewers without an Apple TV+ account or device, to watch. (The Apple TV+ app is available on numerous non-Apple platforms and devices.) Similarly, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving will debut on the Apple platform November 18 and stream for free from November 25 through November 27. Apple said A Charlie Brown Christmas will begin streaming on Apple TV+ on December 4, and will have a free window from December 11 to December 13.

Yes, but HERE'S THE THING..............

you sign up for a free trial for seven days, you then cancel the trail after the third or fourth day so you don't have to pay for the entire month............

BUT HERE'S THE THING............

they are saying that the other specials are available "for free" as well........................     BUT................

since the Thanksgiving special "window" is less than a month after the Halloween "window"

(and the Christmas "window" is less than a month after the Thanksgiving "window")........................

you will NOT be able to get another "free trial" less than a month after canceling the previous trial

YOU MUST SUBSCRIBE TO APPLE TV IN ORDER TO WATCH ALL THREE SPECIALS

(at their designated holiday times)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

and still more people are discovering that "It's The Great Pumpkin" is not on their TV lineup this year.

Yes, but HERE'S THE THING..............

you sign up for a free trial for seven days, you then cancel the trail after the third or fourth day so you don't have to pay for the entire month............

BUT HERE'S THE THING............

they are saying that the other specials are available "for free" as well........................     BUT................

since the Thanksgiving special "window" is less than a month after the Halloween "window"

(and the Christmas "window" is less than a month after the Thanksgiving "window")........................

you will NOT be able to get another "free trial" less than a month after canceling the previous trial

YOU MUST SUBSCRIBE TO APPLE TV IN ORDER TO WATCH ALL THREE SPECIALS

(at their designated holiday times)

That’s not how Apple TV works. You do not need to subscribe to AppleTV+ to have an Apple TV account. Apple TV works like Android TV or Amazon Video. You can use it to access free Apple content or your other streaming services and you can subscribe to their exclusives(Apple TV+). During the window when each special is unlocked anyone can watch with an Apple account. 

Edited by Guest
10 hours ago, Katy M said:

I know it's a free country and all and Peanuts and Apple and ABC (if they still have rights) can decide to do this. But, I do think they're a bunch of jerks to do it the first year that kids aren't going to be able to go out trick or treating.

Seriously. I mean I have all the specials on DVD so I can watch them whenever but this sucks anyway. Why the fuck do we have to get a ton of streaming services to watch different movies and shows.

• Love 13
17 hours ago, Dani said:

That’s not how Apple TV works. You do not need to subscribe to AppleTV+ to have an Apple TV account. Apple TV works like Android TV or Amazon Video. You can use it to access free Apple content or your other streaming services and you can subscribe to their exclusives(Apple TV+). During the window when each special is unlocked anyone can watch with an Apple account. 

Doesn't help those of us who do not stream things.  I stand by my saying fuck you to Apple.

• Love 3

I was able to watch A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving without commercial breaks!

Peppermint Patty still annoys the heck out of me; but I still LOATHE Lucy, and was glad she wasn't part of the gang that went to Grandma's for Thanksgiving Turkey!

But then I have to put up with her for the Christmas episode.

• Love 7

The Cinema Snob did a great review of the Thanksgiving special that called Peppermint Patty over her inviting herself over and then criticizing Charlie Brown for not making a traditional meal. And then not even having the humility to apologize herself, just making Marcy do it.

Still amuses me to this day that Snoopy could make a big meal the whole time and just saved it for himself and Woodstock. That’s so Snoopy.😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Peppermint Patty still annoys the heck out of me; but I still LOATHE Lucy, and was glad she wasn't part of the gang that went to Grandma's for Thanksgiving Turkey!

Linus was obviously so relieved to not have to spend the day with Lucy that he didn't care that he would have to put up with Sally and her crush at Grandma's house!  Even though Peppermint Patty is terrible in this one, I still get really annoyed with Charlie Brown when he keeps going, "Well, I, uh..." over and over on the phone.  As pushy as she is, there was still plenty of opportunity to say, "We won't be home.  We're going to Grandma's."  Or he could have had Linus call her back to explain.  Of course, then the show would end after five minutes.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

Linus was obviously so relieved to not have to spend the day with Lucy that he didn't care that he would have to put up with Sally and her crush at Grandma's house!  Even though Peppermint Patty is terrible in this one, I still get really annoyed with Charlie Brown when he keeps going, "Well, I, uh..." over and over on the phone.  As pushy as she is, there was still plenty of opportunity to say, "We won't be home.  We're going to Grandma's."  Or he could have had Linus call her back to explain.  Of course, then the show would end after five minutes.

True, but that's the core of Charlie Brown's character. He bends over backwards to try to keep everyone happy, even when they treat him like dirt, and he has such a low self-esteem that he hardly ever stands up for himself.

• Love 5

When I was watching Charlie Brown Christmas this past Sunday and Charlie Brown got upset about Snoopy entering a decorating contest with lights, etc., it reminded me of how it would crack me up that ABC would immediately show a commercial for The Great Christmas Light Fight in the next commercial break after that scene.

• LOL 3

You're Getting Your Own Documentary, Charlie Brown!!!!

Actually, it's mostly a documentary about Charles Schultz, but you knew that.

Featuring all-new cartoon footage as Charlie Brown (and company) are asked

to write a report on who they are, to which, someone, no doubt, will ask

"Who Are You, Charlie Brown??"

Only on Apple TV+.

• Useful 3

Speaking of Peppermint Patty, as some did above [albeit months ago!], while I get her name was probably a nod to the candy (and one of the cartoon's later sponsors!), I don't get why Patty was part of her name as the cartoon had a prior character named Patty. I would think that would have lent to some confusion!

And poor Shermie, he who was always a shepherd, just seemed to fade out altogether himself.

• Love 2
On 6/5/2021 at 1:29 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Speaking of Peppermint Patty, as some did above [albeit months ago!], while I get her name was probably a nod to the candy (and one of the cartoon's later sponsors!), I don't get why Patty was part of her name as the cartoon had a prior character named Patty. I would think that would have lent to some confusion!

And poor Shermie, he who was always a shepherd, just seemed to fade out altogether himself.

Oddly enough the Original Patty AND Peppermint Patty appear together in Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown (1977) in which the whole gang somehow gets roped into a raft race against summer camp bullies! While Original Patty gets seen (and I think even a scene or two with her more recently arrived namesake), she doesn't have any lines in this. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Seems only PBS  is airing the holiday episodes! So Charlie Brown Christmas won’t air on CBS  like it’s done for DECADES.

It’s the same for all other holiday cartoons.

Yep, Apple+ now owns broadcast rights to all of the Peanuts specials.  They've contracted with PBS to air the Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas specials this year. after there was a lot of public outcry over their absence on free TV.  I doubt a streaming service is ever going to cut a deal with a commercial network to show them. 

A Charlie Brown Christmas will air on PBS on Sunday Dec 19 at 7:30 PM.

• Love 5

I’ve been rewatching some of the non-holiday specials lately. I’ve already vented about how much I loathe It’s Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown because of how everyone cruelly blames Charlie Brown for losing the football game even though it was Lucy and her sadistic football trick that ruined everything, and Linus being a fucking useless “friend” AS USUAL. 

You’re the Greatest, Charlie Brown is slightly better. While Charlie Brown loses the decathlon because he runs off course and misses the finish line, Peppermint Patty is actually nicer about it this time, acknowledging that he did his best. Marcie — probably the kindest one to CB in the whole series — winds up winning and tells him that he’s a great sport, which was nice.

What A Nightmare, Charlie Brown is basically  Snoopy’s version of Call of the Wild and boy did that disturb me as a kid. Watching Snoopy eventually break under pressure of roughing it and revert to animal instincts…it was kind of heartbreaking. Good thing it was all a nightmare, but still.

Now I’m watching Life’s A Circus, Charlie Brown where Snoopy gets sucked into working at the circus because of a pretty poodle. Kind of hits differently because of all the scrutiny circuses have gotten over animal treatment.

Edited by Spartan Girl
2 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Yep, Apple+ now owns broadcast rights to all of the Peanuts specials.  They've contracted with PBS to air the Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas specials this year. after there was a lot of public outcry over their absence on free TV.  I doubt a streaming service is ever going to cut a deal with a commercial network to show them. 

A Charlie Brown Christmas will air on PBS on Sunday Dec 19 at 7:30 PM.

So stupid. There goes another childhood to adulthood tradition. I ALWAYS watched the Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Halloween on CBS.

So glad I was a kid when I was a kid.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
On 11/27/2021 at 11:56 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Seems only PBS  is airing the holiday episodes! So Charlie Brown Christmas won’t air on CBS  like it’s done for DECADES.

It’s the same for all other holiday cartoons.

To be fair, up until, say, 2 or 3 years ago, the specials were actually airing on ABC since around 2000 or so. CBS gave up the rights long ago. (Although that was the channel I did watch the Peanuts specials on when I was a kid, too.)

• Love 1

Yeah, ABC started airing the specials in 2001. 

Meanwhile, a lot of y'all probably grew up seeing this before the specials from 1973-1990 (my parents taped the Christmas one on VHS in 1990, when I was a year old; so I actually have a copy of it during my lifetime!):

In 1991, it switched to this:

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, UYI said:

Yeah, ABC started airing the specials in 2001. 

Meanwhile, a lot of y'all probably grew up seeing this before the specials from 1973-1990 (my parents taped the Christmas one on VHS in 1990, when I was a year old; so I actually have a copy of it during my lifetime!):

In 1991, it switched to this:

Yeah, the first version was what I would see as a kid (born in '72) before the specials started on CBS.

4 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I liked the original music...it was cool and so 80s.

And my fav Peanuts special is probably the most dated...'It's Flashbeagle Charlie Brown'.  Oddly Fergie was the speaking voice for Sally.  

I LOVE Flashbeagle! The song is such an ear worm!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I liked the original music...it was cool and so 80s.

And my fav Peanuts special is probably the most dated...'It's Flashbeagle Charlie Brown'.  Oddly Fergie was the speaking voice for Sally.  

Yep, Stacy Ferguson voiced Sally several times during the mid-80's, including on The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show. Which had TWO great openings. And I LOVE Flashbeagle! 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

I think it was during Flashbeagle that my older sister caught me dancing around to Peppermint Patty's "I'm in Shape!" song.  I had the door closed, but there was a hole in the door and a makeshift knob for a time, so she could still see me.  Lucy's version of Simon Says ("Listen to Lucy") was also an earworm.

• Love 2
On 12/3/2021 at 5:32 AM, KWalkerInc said:

I think it was during Flashbeagle that my older sister caught me dancing around to Peppermint Patty's "I'm in Shape!" song .................... Lucy's version of Simon Says ("Listen to Lucy") was also an earworm.

For me, it's "The Pigpen Hoe-Down"

"If we really want to dance / If we stay here, we got no chance

So bow to the ceiling, bow to the floor /

Leave Pigpen here and head for the door"

Meanwhile.........................................

Well, Thanksgiving already has two Charlie Brown specials

(the original with the weird picnic and the Mayflower episode)

and Christmas already has two Charlie Brown specials

(the original with the play and the vignettes (with Snoopy playing the accordion))

so it was only a matter of time........

Apple TV is PROUD to present..............

Lucy is her usual crabby self when her grandmother won't come visit, so she throws a party,

Snoopy is busy dealing with ALL his brothers and sisters showing up for the holidays,

and then Elton John shows up (not really, I think it's Linus).

Snoopy Presents:   For Auld Lang Syne

(Seriously??  It's not  For Auld Lang Syne, Charlie Brown)??????

I'm already more happy to see this one.    I really hate the older New Year's Charlie Brown special.

Charlie Brown seems to be the only kid struggling to read that HUGE book,

and Linus "talks to" the little red haired girl at the New Year's party.

• Love 1

New holiday special was a delight with Lucy getting some focus with Charlie Brown and Spike getting nice b and c plots in the special.

Linus providing wisdom of the New Year song is a nice throwback to the Christmas special speech.  

And lastly, I always saw Lucy and Charlie Brown as an end game couple as adults.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:20 PM, Twilight Man said:

I'm already more happy to see this one.    I really hate the older New Year's Charlie Brown special.

Charlie Brown seems to be the only kid struggling to read that HUGE book,

I've always thought War and Peace was a bit much for 10 year olds.  

• Love 4

I just finished watching Charlie Brown Christmas (a recording from last year's airing on PBS).  I love the kids' dancing, especially Violet, who just appears to be sniffing her armpits.  I remember when I was little, I was mildly upset that we never got to see the Christmas play--it probably would have just been half an hour of them dancing around while Schroeder played the piano! 

I also always enjoy Lucy's attempt at a compliment at the end:  "Charlie Brown is a blockhead, but he did get a nice tree."

I don't have Apple TV+, so I can no longer watch the old New Year's special and get the musical chairs song stuck in my head for weeks.  Of course Peppermint Patty won, when she was the one singing the song that accompanied the game and would known when all the pauses were.  My friend and I made up an alternate ending to that special, with Charlie Brown telling the teacher what he thought of her stupid assignment that ruined his winter break and her trashing of his attempt at a book report.  He would have ended up waiting outside the principal's office, but it would have been worth it. 

I also kind of miss the "Christmas Tales" that filled out the hour when Charlie Brown Christmas aired on ABC.  My favorite is Sally writing to Samantha Claus and Charlie Brown snarking, "Does Samantha Claus say, 'Ho, ho, ho,' or does she just smile daintily?"

• Love 2
1 hour ago, KWalkerInc said:

I don't have Apple TV+, so I can no longer watch the old New Year's special and get the musical chairs song stuck in my head for weeks. 

I don't know if this is still the case or if there is a short window, but I am not an Apple TV member - but the Christmas special was free to watch. (Had the app on my Roku and looked, just out of curiosity, clicked on it, and bingo.)

I watched the new New Year’s Eve special. It was cute. A little unnerved that it made me feel sorry for Lucy, but hey, at least she sorta owned up to acting like a brat for once.

And she actually gave good advice to Charlie Brown about making realistic resolutions! That was refreshing.

Always love seeing Snoopy’s siblings. Poor Spike, all he wanted was a new family photo. Glad he got one in the end.

1 hour ago, UYI said:

Peter Robbins, the original voice of Charlie Brown--from A Charlie Brown Christmas in 1965 to A Boy Named Charlie Brown, the franchise's first of four full length movies, in 1969--has committed suicide at the age of 65. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/charlie-brown-voice-actor-peter-robbins-dead-obituary-1290770/

Awful. I know he had problems but it seemed like he was getting better. I hope he’s at peace.

• Love 1

There is something so cosmically cruel about the voice actor of Charlie Brown--a character who was often so depressed and felt he didn't belong anywhere--taking his own life. It gets worse when you remember that the run of specials he did in the 60's--especially Charlie Brown's All-Stars and You're in Love, Charlie Brown--where the other kids were arguably at their meanest, worse than they would ever be later on in the franchise, IMO (in the latter special, for example, Lucy and the other girls address him as "Stupid", as if that was his real name).

And of course, then there's this song from the movie. Yikes.

I did like this Twitter thread, though--this guy knew Peter, and they were in talks over the years to write his autobiography together--Peter favored the title A Blockhead's Life. Gare's suggestion was--appropriately enough--Good Grief. Peter's prison stint is ultimately what shelved the project.

It won't be the same without Peter being here, of course, but I do hope Gare at least considers writing a biography, or something along those lines. I'd certainly read it.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, UYI said:

There is something so cosmically cruel about the voice actor of Charlie Brown--a character who was often so depressed and felt he didn't belong anywhere--taking his own life.

I was just thinking that. Now I’ve got “A Boy Named Charlie Brown” in my head, and this bit feels particularly haunting now:

Now the shadows of the morning
Have gone beyond the August afternoon,
And Charlie's had his day,
His very special day,
His Morning and his Evening and his Noon.
The World is full of lots of people,
Here and there and all around,
But people after all,
Start out as being small,
And we're all a boy named Charlie Brown

I have to go cry now.

There’s something oddly poignant about the final scene of A Boy Named Charlie Brown where Lucy sweetly (for her) welcomes him home after pulling her football stunt for the billionth time. Charlie Brown just lost the spelling bee, humiliated himself and is certain everyone is going to hate him for the rest of his life. But as Linus points out, the world doesn’t end. He pulls himself out of his funk, goes outside, and when he sees Lucy with the football, he goes right up to kick it before she knows he’s there.

And we KNOW it won’t work. We KNOW she’ll pull it away. On some level, he always knows what’s going to happen. But that doesn’t stop him from trying.

That is why we all love him to this day. No matter how much life craps on him, he doesn’t give up. He’ll keep trying to fly that kite, kick that football, win that game, and talk to that Little Red Haired Girl. He’ll keep trying even if it breaks him. And somehow he never loses that resilient kindness at his core. He long deserved that break The Peanuts Movie finally gave him.

• Love 7
(edited)

Boy, Apple TV is REALLY churning out these specials, aren't they?????

(I guess they are getting their money's worth (via viewers) ).

Well, they finally discovered another holiday they haven't done a special for.

So.......

Charlie Brown is his usual self, messing up breakfast in bed (and a cake later on),

Woodstock has a tender moment with his (her???) mom,

and Peppermint Patty is upset because she has no mom,

until she decides to just celebrate the holiday with her dad.

Snoopy Presents:   To Mom (and Dad), With Love     (No Charlie Brown, again)

Now available on Apple TV

Edited by Twilight Man

I watched To Mom (and Dad) With Love and I really liked it. Peppermint Patty hasn't been that relatable (or likable) since She's A Good Skate and it was really nice to see her deal with feeling left out of Mother's Day because she didn't have a mom. But like Marcie said, it can apply to whoever acts like a mom in your life. LOL that Peppermint Patty yelled at the card shop for their lack of inclusivity. Her final gift idea to just spend the day with her dad and make him happy was just lovely.

My only gripe was that Woodstock didn't get to meet up with his mom. He deserved that much. But Snoopy, in addition to being his friend, is sort of his guardian too, so for him to give flowers to Snoopy for Mother's Day was fitting.