Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: The Female Of The Species

I think it would be a mixed bag of feelings. Definitely relief at knowing the person who had been gunning for you and killed your boyfriend in the process is gone and won't try to hurt you again. But also back of the neck hair-raising fear because Moriarty's letter was creepy. She was basically saying, you're too valuable to MY game, so anyone messing with that balance is going to be taken out, but when *I* decide you should be dead, that's when you'll be dead.

Good point Sinkwriter.

This episode really highlighted why I love this version of the Sherlock story. I love BBC Sherlock too (not at Cumberbitch level- worst fan name ever- but a big fan). But JLM's version is so much more human. In Season 1, one of his irregulars said 'Sherlock doesn't have any friends'. Three seasons in, he has a number of friends. Season 1, Sherlock said to Watson 'I'm not a nice man'.  Three seasons in and I have to disagree with him now.

Basically, I love that this Sherlock is evolving and growing as a person and his bonds with other people are becoming stronger.  Tip of the hat to the writers for excellent character development on this show.

But also back of the neck hair-raising fear because Moriarty's letter was creepy. She was basically saying, you're too valuable to MY game, so anyone messing with that balance is going to be taken out, but when *I* decide you should be dead, that's when you'll be dead.

I know that's how Moriarty framed it, but I wonder if she doesn't have a soft spot for Joan. Moriarty doesn't know how to express feelings, but what I like about her is that she clearly has them. Makes for a more interesting antagonist. While I don't doubt her intentions are not all positive, I would suggest that she was helping out Sherlock and Joan in her own way.

• Love 2

Was JLM walking funny last night or have I just never noticed?

I'm not sure if I've just never noticed before either or what, but he was definitely leading with his left leg and almost limping with his right. It could either be something with JLM's body, or something he was doing on purpose for the role. I don't know.

Every time I come back to this site and see Jonny on the home page, I feel compelled to say "zeh-bra" (in as close an approximation to his voice as I can). And then I laugh like an idiot. It's become my new favorite word. It's bizarre, but it amuses me.

• Love 3
I just got into this show about 7 episodes ago and it really hooked me. Love the dynamic between Watson and Sherlock. Great show. How are the rest of the seasons??

I would watch all of the first season and the first half of the second season, to the Moriarty episode. The second half of the second season was pretty bad, to the extent that the show itself seems to be trying to pretend it didn't happen!

I know that's how Moriarty framed it, but I wonder if she doesn't have a soft spot for Joan. Moriarty doesn't know how to express feelings, but what I like about her is that she clearly has them. Makes for a more interesting antagonist. While I don't doubt her intentions are not all positive, I would suggest that she was helping out Sherlock and Joan in her own way.

Oh, I definitely think Moriarty has a soft spot for Joan in her own way. You don't paint a huge-ass portrait of someone if you don't on some level like them! Honestly, I think the Moriarty-Joan relationship is even more fascinating than Moriarty/Sherlock, and I'm glad that the show places equal emphasis on all three points of that triangle. And I really appreciate that despite her overcrowded schedule, Dormer obviously makes time for the show when she can in whatever capacity she can (she's mentioned how much she enjoys doing it).

I've only had a chance to watch clips from last night, but I have to say: I've never gotten romantic chemistry from Sherlock and Watson before, but that last scene, I was like "...just kiss?" The chemistry and the emotional intensity was off the charts, and it had a very marriage-like vibe in many respects (Watson fully committing to their life together). I am in 110% agreement that the show should never go there, don't get me wrong...but it's scenes like that that make me think it might not be so bad if they did!

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 5

Hope they explain why Bell does not want Sherlock to address him as "Det Bell".

Because when he's off duty, he's not a detective. Eventually he gave in to Holmes' formality.

Nice for Marcus to get the spotlight, in a way that felt natural. Good episode.

(I'm also used to zehbra -- I figured everyone else would think it was part of the accent.)

• Love 1

You have lemurs?

I suspect we have more lemurs residing in Canada than zebras. I will allow that the pronunciation might just be my Nana, though.

In any case, I feel that with or without Kitty, the show has hit a new stride. I was ready to give up halfway through last season and often wandered out of the room during scenes.

Loved the use of Marcus and his propensity for being smart without having to be obscure or odd (definitely had a great chuckle over him breaking down Sherlock's lengthy explaination with: "You say that like it explains why you're weighing a toaster").

I'm also really looking forward to how great Watson is going to be at this when she is completely committed to the work. I would love to see Sherlock taken aback, but really proud to see what he knew she could do and also the fallout from her possibly surpassing him without resorting to weird habits and bizarre hobbies.

(I'm also used to zehbra -- I figured everyone else would think it was part of the accent.)

Ditto.  He pronounces a lot of words differently than "American" or NY accent.  This is just another.  In the US, there are many different accents and dialects, same with Great Britain.  It's not like it's the only word he's ever said differently than we say in America.  It *is* part of the accent.  I've heard it before and I live in "fly over" country, in the midwest.  

I LOVED Sherlock and Bell working together. Their chemistry is great. I loved it right away.

I did too, but careful Watson, I am loving Sherlock working with anyone.  Would love an episode where Gregson takes on that role with Sherlock, then of course, Ms. Hudson, Alfredo, and don't get started on an episode where Sherlock takes Clyde in hand to the scenes of the crimes.  How about one with the silver-hair guy that leads the 12-step meetings?

I loved Bell asking why Sherlock's picture is posted on the wall at the Indian restaurant.  Sherlock's energy, and influence, are boundless.

Shouldn't Sherlock have already known that Bell did not eat red meat?  I mean, a man that can tell when someone's last orgasm by their walk ought to also take note of their dietary habits.  Not everyone eats only eggs, Sherlock.

Edited by MaryHedwig

IIRC, a contributor to /the source of some, (but not all???)of "Zebrah" vs 'Zeebrah" comes from the fact that in  the U.S (at least) the letter "Z" is pronounced "Zee", while in the U.K. it is pronounced "Zehd".

I've heard Zehbra before, only because I know the rest the world pronounces "Z", Zed, instead of Zee. It's still weird to hear it so many times though and no one commenting on it.

I'm in NYC, you hear all kinds of accents and pronunciations here and no one really makes a big deal of it.  

As for when they filmed it, I can't remember if it snowed in NYC before Christmas this year, if it did, it got warm quickly and the snow melted away.  It didn't really start to snow until January and as I type this, there is snow on the ground.  

The first time I heard the British pronunciation was in the radio (original) version of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, which imo is one of the high points of English literature. The passage concerns the Babel fish:

“Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
`Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets
himself killed on the next zebra crossing.”

• Love 3

I'm in NYC, you hear all kinds of accents and pronunciations here and no one really makes a big deal of it.

I don't think it's a big deal. I like the variety of voices and pronunciations out there. I think it was just glaring to me because 1) I'd never heard it pronounced that way before, and 2) he said it soooo many times throughout the episode. It became an entertaining oddity.

• Love 1

I don't think it's a big deal. I like the variety of voices and pronunciations out there. I think it was just glaring to me because 1) I'd never heard it pronounced that way before, and 2) he said it soooo many times throughout the episode. It became an entertaining oddity.

My point was that because, in NYC, you hear all kinds of accents and pronunciations, no one would question Holmes' pronunciation.  

• Love 1

`Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.”

It's my (possibly faulty) recollection that they used "zeebrah" rather than "zehbrah"  on the BBC Radiophonics version.

Speaking of accents, I find it refreshing that JLM uses (what I assume is) his own accent, rather than pretending to be an American like the leads of House and The Mentalist. Americans can understand other accents, really!

• Love 2

Just a curious question not related to this episode, in this series has Sherlock ever said the words "Elementary my dear Watson."?

I was just watching season 1 episode 11 -- he doesn't say "Elementary" but he does call her "my dear Watson" at the very end of the episode.

SHERLOCK: As I proposed the other day, you can tell my father I've hit a bit of a rough patch. He'll keep the checks coming, you can continue to hone your skills.

JOAN: I took another job this morning. I work with other therapists and I was referred to another client so I'll be starting with them next week after you and I wrap up.

SHERLOCK: I see. (pause) I'm usually quite good with deductions.

JOAN: You okay?

SHERLOCK: My dear Watson, whenever am I not?

Edited by sinkwriter

I've heard "zehbra" before and didn't react to it, other than that it seemed like they were having fun with it. Even in character Sherlock seemed to be having fun with it, he said it so many times. Drinking game?

• Love 4

Until I read this thread I had no idea there was any pronounciation for zebra other than rhyming with Debra. /is British/

It's weird to me that anyone would expect someone who's not American to adopt American pronounciations/accent, so Marcus not mentioning it makes total sense. I'm sure there are a thousand words Sherlock pronounces in the British rather than American way.

• Love 4

...Would love an episode where Gregson takes on that role with Sherlock, then of course, Ms. Hudson, Alfredo, and don't get started on an episode where Sherlock takes Clyde in hand to the scenes of the crimes....

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I hope they keep Moriarity in the background as an occaisonal phone call and let these episodes transpire. According to the Tree Of Life website, tortoises are good at digging to find cool places when temperatures rise to triple digits (Fahrenheit) and they are good at remembering where water is located. Surely these abilities could be useful in solving a particular crime, right? Edited by shapeshifter

I wonder when they filmed this? As in, when was that snow storm in NYC? (Gotham also had snow this week too!)

On Locations Vacations (a site that posts daily film locations) says they filmed the scenes at the Bronx Zoo on Jan. 6th.  Most shows returned from break around the 5th so a lot of NYC filmed shows ran into that (this week's Blue Bloods had the same issue.)  

• Love 1

large.jpg

I've heard "zehbra" before and didn't react to it, other than that it seemed like they were having fun with it. Even in character Sherlock seemed to be having fun with it, he said it so many times. Drinking game?

The only movie that Americans did not say "Zeeeee"

Filming in the snow made that part of the episode look so authentic (and beautiful)

I also thought it was breathtaking, but I live in Texas and am not dealing with all the snow up north right now.

So happy for Clyde, no more joint visitation since Joan is coming back to the brownstone.

Edited by Texasmom1970
  • Love 4

This episode felt strange to me.  I don't know how I feel about the ending, Joan saying she was moving back into the brownstone.

I had a feeling the boyfriend was going to go away somehow and Joan was going to move back.  I never saw how they were going to incorporate Andrew into the story; I watch this show for the mystery, not domestic drama.

On the other hand, I don't know if it's because TV shows only have so much time to devote to things, sometimes it seems like lazy writing to have all of these characters single, with no relationships; just like it seemed weird to me to see Marcus on his day off alone.   I don't know, it just made me feel strange to see Joan kind of say, "this is my life, I can't have any relationships outside of Sherlock and I have to move back into the brownstone."  

• Love 1

I'm now starting to wonder if they are setting up Joan/Marcus. With Joan saying she can't date because she's devoted to the work and Marcus being devoted to the work that he also has no social life. Sherlock also likes and respects Marcus so he wouldn't have an issue with it (not that he gets a say, but you know he will say something). And for most shows it's easier to have the character date each other over bringing in new characters all the time. 

Edited by Sakura12

Hmm. Establishing that both Marcus and Joan don't have a private life and that Sherlock respects Marcus in the same episode.... could be!

All we need is for Marcus to reveal that he took his mother's last name and that his father was an army captain named Morstan....

• Love 1
I've only had a chance to watch clips from last night, but I have to say: I've never gotten romantic chemistry from Sherlock and Watson before, but that last scene, I was like "...just kiss?" The chemistry and the emotional intensity was off the charts, and it had a very marriage-like vibe in many respects (Watson fully committing to their life together). I am in 110% agreement that the show should never go there, don't get me wrong...but it's scenes like that that make me think it might not be so bad if they did!

This. The chemistry was just sizzling. And all this talk about how normal life is not for them and how it's "not my world, it's our"... Well, it's just created a REALLY shippy atmosphere. I dig them as friends, but hell, with more scenes like this, I wouldn't mind something more.

Speaking of accents, I find it refreshing that JLM uses (what I assume is) his own accent, rather than pretending to be an American like the leads of House and The Mentalist.

I assume they were going to make Sherlock British before the casting started so they were looking for an actor with a British (English? Don't know that much about accents, not a native speaker) accent, so this makes sense.

Edited by FurryFury

Crackpot theory time:
Since we had the whole "Joan is not a fan of the standard relationships", then Moriarty helped and we already have Moriarty/Sherlock involvement... is it just me who wonders "could it be they are going in that direction???"

It is completely bonkers, I agree... it just popped into my mind today and though I can see it not working on so many levels because of so many reasons... it could be also quite awesome. :)

If you mean Joan getting with a woman, okay. Getting with a mass murdering assassin, no. Joan would never get with Moriarty for that reason. However they are the most popular fanfic pairing, so you can read all you want about them there :D 

Eh, no. No to both Joan/Moriarty and Sherlock/Moriarty. She's an unrepentant murderer and they are people with a conscience. It would mean somebody's character would have to be assassinated, and I hate that.

Speaking about Moriarty, is it just me, or are they going to do Reichenball Falls as this season's finale? I wouldn't be shocked if they did.

I've heard a lot of British accents in my time, but that's the first time I ever heard "zebra" sound like "Debra".

I still say it that way, even though I've been a new yorker for decades.

I was cringing at that first scene where Sherlock and Marcus went to the zoo. Sherlock had no scarf on, and his ears were completely uncovered by his cap; as the snow kept coming down, all I (a native of Wisconsin and Illinois, and no stranger to below zero temperatures) could think about were his poor red ears and how easily that could turn to frostbite if he wasn't careful. He never wore a warmer, safer hat throughout the episode, but I was relieved that the rest of the scenes showed him wearing a scarf.

Up until the past few days, nyc hasn't been into the single digits much, and it hasn't been much lower than the upper 20s an any of our snowstorms this late fall/early winter. Winter in Wisconsin and Illinois is a very different and far more dangerous creature than in nyc. Danger of frostbite is not very common here unless you're homeless or working outside for extended periods. Sherlock might have been chilly, but unless he was spending the night at the zoo, he was in no danger of frostbite. I seldom wear scarves, and don't wear hats unless it's under 20 degrees. People handle hot and cold in different ways. I know crew members that wear shorts as long as it's over 32 degrees.

I wonder when they filmed this? As in, when was that snow storm in NYC? (Gotham also had snow this week too!)

I've worked on Elementary before (though not recently) Lag time between filming and airing usually ran 4 to 6 weeks, like mtlchick said..

I know that's how Moriarty framed it, but I wonder if she doesn't have a soft spot for Joan.

Seems they've sort of flipped the canon Irene Adler story. It was Joan that bested Irene/Morarity, not Sherlock, so the way I see it, Joan went from being "the mascot" in Moriarity's eyes to "the woman".

• Love 3

Winter in Wisconsin and Illinois is a very different and far more dangerous creature than in nyc. Danger of frostbite is not very common here unless you're homeless or working outside for extended periods.

All very good points and very true. 

But I couldn't help cringing because Jonny's ears were already very red, which made me wonder how long they'd been out there filming.

In high school my brother was playing outdoors with his buddies and it wasn't particularly cold outside, plus they were running around so it didn't feel cold, but by the time he got home his ears were bright red and were starting to show signs of frostbite. He had no idea exposing his ears to the general cold would be too much, and he really regretted it because pain definitely set in as his ears started to "thaw." His doctor said he was very lucky not to lose some of his outer ear, like the lobes or the tops, because he was out there too long. It's kind of like people who go outside for long periods of time during overcast days and assume there's no way they'll get a sunburn. Just because you can't see the sun out doesn't mean it isn't there or can't hurt you.

• Love 1

Joan and Moriarty would feel like pandering - deliberately trying to be "edgey" a la so many other shows.

Not to mention, bad enough Watson shagged Sherlock's brother, now his ex?

No. Just no.

But I couldn't help cringing because Jonny's ears were already very red, which made me wonder how long they'd been out there filming.

Trust me....there was a big old heated RV just out of camera range. They aren't going to risk two of their actors getting frostbite. ;)

• Love 2

Trust me....there was a big old heated RV just out of camera range. They aren't going to risk two of their actors getting frostbite. ;)

And big mugs of hot cocoa with marshmallows waiting for them when they're done? (she says wistfully, LOL)   ;)

• Love 1
And big mugs of hot cocoa with marshmallows waiting for them when they're done? (she says wistfully, LOL)   ;)

Craft services, darlin'. They get just about anything they want ;)

• Love 3

Just watched this episode again.  There was so much about this one I liked, the actor that plays the zebra caretaker does a great job of addressing his subordinates, in the scene where Sherlock accuses one of them.  His tone of voice, thanking those who came in on their day off, and calling the returned zebras "ladies" all reminded me of happy times when I had jobs I loved and bosses I respected so much I wanted to make them look good. 

I might argue, though, that this great boss might have noticed that one of his employees was impregnating "the ladies"  with fertile quagga eggs (that is how it works, isn't it?)  Also, wouldn't there have been gentleman Zebra callers to get the ladies pregnant the old fashion way?  What happened to those fertile eggs?  Am I over-thinking this?

Loved the use of Marcus and his propensity for being smart without having to be obscure or odd (definitely had a great chuckle over him breaking down Sherlock's lengthy explaination with: "You say that like it explains why you're weighing a toaster").

He had a similar retort when Joan gave a Sherlock-esque explanation in Poison Pen, about vents. Something like "And the capital of Detroit is Lansing - would you just tell me how you know that?". Marcus has a great dry sense of humor. In the episode where there were black lights used to disguise mathematical equations in an otherwise empty room, Sherlock asked Marcus if he had learned anything by working with Sherlock. With a completely straight face, Marcus said that before he met Sherlock, they had almost never solved a case. JLM's silent reaction to that was priceless.

Joan did it to Sherlock in Snow Angels, responding to Sherlock's inscrutable deductions with something nearly nonsensical about the ambulance driver wearing a baseball cap and one of the thieves having "canine lupus". This show excels at that kind of humorous dialogue.

I might argue, though, that this great boss might have noticed that one of his employees was impregnating "the ladies"  with fertile quagga eggs (that is how it works, isn't it?)  Also, wouldn't there have been gentleman Zebra callers to get the ladies pregnant the old fashion way?  What happened to those fertile eggs?  Am I over-thinking this?

I think this is one of those hand-wave moments. Didn't "the ladies" come to the zoo pregnant? I would think that the quagga eggs would have had to have been an in vitro implantation, so no zebra gentleman callers would be required, and definitely not as a live cover. Otherwise you'd have gotten Zebras, not quaggas.

Even quagga eggs?

Well, maybe quail eggs ;)

• Love 1

Often zoo use in vitro, even when they aren't bringing back extinct species, to protect the "participants." The females especially are sometimes injured in live cover, so... Also, they can breed the ladies to gentlemen who aren't located there. That's why some zoos have specialties in breeding--they are good with the science, rather that the romance.

• Love 2

Honestly, I was talking more about menage-a-trois and I was not serious at all, nor I am interested in reading such interpretations, thanks... Just for a moment the idea somehow popped, something in the script has pushed to the association, mostly I meant it as a joke. Not a joke with people in such relationships but abot the stereptype. Nevermind. :)

I loved this episode, partly because I like Sherlock Holmes stories of all incarnations more for the Holmes-Watson relationship than I do the cases.  Once they killed off Mary Morstan (I never bothered to even learn the boyfriend's name -- just Mary Morstan does it for me), it was time for Watson to come back home to Holmes and reform the unstoppable duo.  

I feel like a lot of times Watson isn't written as Watson, if that makes sense.  Sometimes it feels like she's written as just another one of the many people that Sherlock could be solving crimes with.  But get her back in the brownstone without the distraction of another job or a significant other, and Moriarty back on the radar, and that's a Holmes/Watson story!  

As the show ended last week, I had this sick feeling of Watson becoming Sherlock's cult follower.  She seemed to have a glazed adoration on her face as she said she believed she should be at the Brownstone with Sherlock.  This week  it looked like the writers straightened it up a bit when she settled into the basement for living quarters.

Just as a side chuckle - where oh where would we be without cell phones in crime shows? Testing, texting, texting...

Edited by Curious5
On 2/13/2015 at 6:23 PM, SierraMist said:

I'm going to try to work zeh-bra into my normal everyday conversation.  I loved that he kept saying it like that and just figured it was a normal English pronunciation.

It is indeed the normal English pronunciation, as others have already said. :)

Catching up with Elementary years late, I'm really enjoying this thread being so dominated by the zebra pronunciation discussion when the only thing I kept thinking during the episode was:

"HUH? Quagga is pronounced 'qua-ha'?!" ?

Having only ever seen the word in writing before, I just assumed it would be pronounced with a hard G!

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2015 at 2:17 AM, MaryHedwig said:

I was wondering about that too! I thought I must have missed something, but I would assume they would take a zebra embryo and either genetically edit the genes (not actually sure that's possible) or splice in the relevant chain from the fossil records (if they died out around 150 years ago, their DNA would be still recoverable).

• Love 1