Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E11: All I Could Do Was Cry

• Start Topic

After several discussions with Dr. Herman, April and Jackson must face their situation head on and make a difficult decision regarding their unborn child. Catherine arrives in Seattle and bumps into Richard at the hospital. Meanwhile, Meredith tries to find someone to take care of the kids so she can visit Derek for the weekend, and Amelia shows Stephanie some tough love when they work together on a case

Promo:

Canadian promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te02X0Z-kvQ

Sneak Peek

I know Alex is used to what a bitch Meredith is but its time for him to step up and tell her to stop putting Jo down all the time. From the looks of this sneak Jo was offering to help and look how she treats her.  Please Maggie go after her and be her person.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

Ugh, seriously. They really are making Meredith an unlikeable bitch this season, aren't they? How about "Gosh that was really nice of Jo to offer, especially considering how I've treated her.". And Alex, how about "stop talking shit about my girlfriend and show some respect for me and my relationship.". Their friendship is usually one of my favorites but no so much now. Justin Chambers is now 3rd billed in the cast credits and this is the crap he gets?

First of all, I don't believe for a second that Cristina Yang dropped everything to babysit Mer's kids, text back and forth during sex, and generally be available non-stop in accordance to Mer's needs (which is apparently her definition of "person.") If that is what Mer expected of her, no wonder Yang traveled half way around the world to get away.

Secondly, since when is Mer so overly concerned with child care? She should just leave them in the 24 hour/drive thru daycare like she normally does. Or bring the kids and the Nanny so Derek can see them and they can have sex time. They have the money.

I have never been a Mer hater, she used to be the most sincerely compassionate of the interns and a loyal friend. Sure she was self-absorbed, but not out and out horribly selfish like she has been portrayed the last couple of seasons. I'm not surprised that the people in her life are moving away from her in droves. I get that she misses Derek and Cristina, but she is a grown woman with two kids, for gods sake and her neediness is bordering on unstable. Good luck, Maggie!

Morning rant over.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 8

They really are making Meredith an unlikeable bitch this season, aren't they?

Yes they are. In earlier season I really liked Meredith and enjoyed her friendships with the other doctors. Since the shooting she has become more and more unlikable with every season. I've done a complete 180 with her, from loving her to not being able to stand her.

She needs to step down from her judgmental high horse about other people and cut the name calling like a 7th grader. First she referred to Amelia as a junkie and now calls Jo a hoodlum when they are offering to help her. Maybe she needs a reminder of all her past missteps as she sees herself so above everyone else.

Secondly, since when is Mer so overly concerned with child care? She should just leave them in the 24 hour/drive thru daycare like she normally does. Or bring the kids and the Nanny so Derek can see them and they can have sex time. They have the money.

That would require her considering her children's separation from their father. From what was depicted on the screen Derek has been the primary caregiver of the two of them and I would think his leaving is pretty hard for Zola. As you said, I sure Derek would love to see them too. Instead it will be about Meredith wanting sexy time with Derek. That's how selfish people roll.

The Japril baby story is so sad. I am hoping Amelia can help April at some point given what she went through herself.

• Love 1

Ha, I just started watching it, but came sprinting over here to say:

WHO interrupts someone standing at an altar and staring upward, with outspread beseeching arms, who has just begun a prayer out loud. . .  Bailey?  Can you babysit my kids?

Why are they making Meredith so awful?  It's so over the top, it's laughable.  What's next, Meredith kicks some puppies?

Edited by candall
  • Love 11

I had a good chuckle when Owen described Yang babysitting.  Hee.  Yang could be pretty unlikeable herself.  Miss her.

Good third act, with the shotgun baby, April/Avery, the candles. . .sniffle.

I thought Debbie Allen was beatifully restrained. I was greatly relieved.

I thought so to.  She was very moving in the scene with Jackson and April, and I teared up a little when she and Richard hugged at the end.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

This episode was very sad and very well done. I liked it that April got her miracle through understanding that many people go through similar things, and everyone has losses. They didn't try to go the route of some miracle surgery for the baby. Geena Davis still seems so wooden in this show; maybe it's just her plastic face.

Didn't like Meredith complaining yet again at having to see her kids once in awhile. And Alex is also a busy surgeon, why should he babysit for her kids?

I thought the actors playing April and Jackson really did a good job and i like their love story. It's nice once in awhile to see a couple who love each other and support each other. Amelia still bugs me though. She looks way too young to be this amazing, accomplished surgeon, and she plays everything too excited. Don't want her and Owen to get together at all. Debbie Allen was really good here too; loved her explanation on giving birth to the baby with love.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Anyone else from the Boston area (Comcast) have sound issues for the first few scenes?  I got background sounds but no dialogue...really weird.

Yes, this was driving me crazy!  I could hear the music, but the entire opening scene, filled with important information, was muted and instead it sounded like shuffling papers and background noise.  Very frustrating.  My lip reading skills are poor :-/ 

They did not say if Samuel meant anything or referred to anybody.

It's been a while since Hebrew school, but I think that in the Bible Hannah prays and prays for a child and finally gets her wish: a son, whom she names Samuel. It had more of a parallel with the patient's baby than with April's but I'm sure that as a religious woman April would have considered the significance of the name.

• Love 4

So...

All I could do was cry.

A lot

Me too. I was ok until the end when Catherine asked Dr. Weber to take her home and hold her.

I'm a grandma and watched my daughter give birth. There were complications and my granddaughter was in the hospital for 5 weeks after she was born. So I completely lost it at the end with Catherine.

Thankfully my granddaughter is now a happy, healthy first grader.

This show still does it for me. I haven't watched from the beginning but started a couple of years ago watching repeats on Lifetime while recovering from an accident and I was hooked instantly.

Thanks to Lifetime and Netflix I've seen every episode.

I love it.

• Love 1

It's been a while since Hebrew school, but I think that in the Bible Hannah prays and prays for a child and finally gets her wish: a son, whom she names Samuel. It had more of a parallel with the patient's baby than with April's but I'm sure that as a religious woman April would have considered the significance of the name.

that's exactly right. :)

this might sound so incredibly horrible of me - but I'm so glad they killed the baby, and I mean this in a complete storytelling way. So many times, the baby survives (Tuck survived, Sofia survived, Bailey survived), and I was like.... wow, what if they make baby Samuel survive? (and I was really thinking that  April begging for a miracle, she'd get one. 

For them to kill off the baby was heartbreaking. and ... right. Sometimes, good things happen to bad people. and when April was going felt like God was fake (or however she put it) because of this, it felt real, and I was wondering if the baby would live to show her that God was real (and Jackson's prayer/rant didn't help her). 

It's devastating, and heartbreaking, and realistic, and I hope that April can find her way through this and still keep God on her side. 

• Love 4
WHO interrupts someone standing at an altar and staring upward, with outspread beseeching arms, who has just begun a prayer out loud. . . 

A self-centered person who thinks only of herself.  She was the only character that showed no empathy for what April and Jackson were going through. She was the only one that did not light a candle/appear to think of them. She just intruded on Bailey doing so.

And Alex is also a busy surgeon, why should he babysit for her kids?

Because he's her person, which to her is the person she expects to always drop everything for her, attend to her every need and tolerate her constant neediness. I'm very pleased that Alex didn't babysit. I feel bad for those kids. Their family is disrupted with their father leaving and now they have their mother leaving them in 24 hour daycare to watch a printer and looking to leave them for the weekend to go have sex. I am sure Maggie is responsible but do the children even know her? It has not come across that Maggie has gotten to know the children at all so she would be a stranger to them.  Meredith is so selfless and always puts her children first.

Sarah Drew was very good throughout the episode. The storyline was so well done. It had so much emotion but was realistic and not over the top as many of the storylines seem to be over the past few seasons. I saw an interview with Sarah saying she went into labor 10 hours after filming the scenes of giving birth to the baby. I know she wanted to do the story but it had to be difficult being pregnant in real life and having to go through all those emotions as your character.  This was the first episode where I liked Catherine Avery. I thought the scene with she, Jackson and April was wonderful. 

For them to kill off the baby was heartbreaking. and ... right.

I completely agree. It was a heartbreaking story but had it ended with an unrealistic miracle it would have lost a lot of its impact. It was respectfully done and didn't feel too overwrought. I think it was one of the best episodes of the past couple of seasons.

• Love 6

I wanted to smack Jo when she was in the chapel with Stephanie and she kept trying to talk to her. If you don't want to be there, then fine, leave. But do not bother other people when they are praying or lighting candles. And I say that as a non-religious person. It's like going to a movie and then talking loudly the entire time but on a spiritual scale.

I thought Debbie Allen was beatifully restrained. I was greatly relieved.

ITA - she often gets cast in sassy roles, but she is also good at quiet moments. She did a really great job in that scene as a compassionate person trying to help her family and make something really painful for them as easy as possible.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I liked that they showed that Amelia knew what they were going through without using it to comfort them or something. They just had Amelia tell the rest of the crowd what they should do for April and Jackson and left it at that.

Edited by kariyaki
  • Love 7

I thought it was kind of a snoozer of an episode, except for the April and Jackson scenes. Although I think I've seen the "atheist prays to a god he doesn't believe in during a time of crisis" way too many times in pop culture. We don't just up and start believing every time there's a stressful situation, Shonda.

I feel bad for those kids. Their family is disrupted with their father leaving and now they have their mother leaving them in 24 hour daycare to watch a printer and looking to leave them for the weekend to go have sex.

I would absolutely LOVE a storyline around Meredith realizing she is a) a bad parent, and/or b) she really doesn't like being a parent. She seems totally unconnected to both her kids. With Zola, whom Derek was crazy about pretty much immediately AND the son she gave birth to, she always seems like she is holding an acquaintance's baby she vaguely knows, not her own kids. I don't think Grey's is ballsy enough to tackle the issue of regretting adopting/having children, but given Mer's parenting abilities and the amount of time she devotes to her kids, let's just say that I would totally buy that storyline.

• Love 3

I don't think Grey's is ballsy enough to tackle the issue of regretting adopting/having children, but given Mer's parenting abilities and the amount of time she devotes to her kids, let's just say that I would totally buy that storyline.

I think they have told that story, that of Meredith's mom.  That she may be better but not fully break the cycle is not terribly surprising.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

It's been a while since Hebrew school, but I think that in the Bible Hannah prays and prays for a child and finally gets her wish: a son, whom she names Samuel.

Hannah then gives baby Samuel to the temple in service to God. Later God calls directly to Samuel who answers "Here I am, Lord. I come to do your will.". For a believer like April, it is the perfect name.

• Love 3
Sarah Drew was very good throughout the episode. The storyline was so well done. It had so much emotion but was realistic and not over the top as many of the storylines seem to be over the past few seasons. I saw an interview with Sarah saying she went into labor 10 hours after filming the scenes of giving birth to the baby. I know she wanted to do the story but it had to be difficult being pregnant in real life and having to go through all those emotions as your character.  This was the first episode where I liked Catherine Avery. I thought the scene with she, Jackson and April was wonderful.

Usually I cringe when I see that Debbie Allen is in front of the cameras rather than behind them. She's like the female equivalent of Joe Morton: "Here's some scenery. PLEASE CHEW IT." But I agree that last night she was perfect. And love the short hair do.

I read that not only did Sarah Drew have to do this story line while pregnant, but that her baby delivered a month early and ended up in the NICU for a month due to a lung infection. It was in People a couple of weeks ago. Everything is fine now.

Over the holidays, I started binging Grey's from the beginning. I missed the old shows, the old cast. Something is off now. Maybe it's the absence of Patrick Dempsey AND Sandra Oh. It also seems darker. Literally. The sets seem dark. (So much for Meredith being "The Sun") I'm into Season 8 on my binge-a-thon. Season 8 seems to be where things got stale. It was all about the Lesbians and Bailey going from being the "heartbeat of the hospital" (Shonda's words, not mine) to being an insufferable, insubordinate hag. I think that the plane crash (which is coming up on my binging schedule) was the shark. I miss Lexie and Mark. I miss George. I miss Cristina and Derek. Shit, I even miss Izzy.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 7

Agree that this was a well done, moving episode and all of the actors involved in the baby story did a really good job with it. The scene where they talk about names was really sad.

I still have a tiny problem with April's "that's not fair, how could God do this to me" philosophy. She is a TRAUMA SURGEON, am I to believe that she has never seen a situation where something horrific happens to someone who doesn't deserve it? A child or sweet old lady or nun for example? Or does she assume that she is somehow exempt? Eh, it's just a small nitpick and she did seem to get the message that bad shit just happens sometimes by the end, but it just seems like it should be something she had come to terms with awhile ago.

Meredith is continuing her fast decline into Worst Character on the Show. Of all the episodes for her to behave like this, running around begging everyone and anyone (except the one person who generously offered) , for a pretty HUGE favor so she can have "emergency sex," they pick this one? Bad idea. I know that she is the Grey in Greys Anatomy, but I wish she would just go stay with Mcdreamy in Dc for the rest of the season. The less I see of her the better at this point.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 4

I caught an older episode on Lifetime this week and in it, Callie was agonizing over Izzie getting cancer because when Izzie stole her husband, she wished Izzie dead.

Good to know they can recycle a plot point so efficiently...

• Love 2

Another anvil drops for Owen and Amelia.

Yes, and they used Crowen trademark which is holding hands, what a way to go,and they made a point of showing him do it, OWEN IS PURSUING AMELIA,following her around the hospital like a puppy.Oh boy, that writers´ room staff are they a bunch of wicked wicked people.

They have Owen say he can´t imagine anything real like what he had with Cristina, and in the very next episode he is Amelia´s soulmate sitting with her in the chapel holding hands. That was a 360 degree turnaround. 1 episode guys, just 1 episode. 

I really hate the writers for this Owen/Amelia thing.

Maggie/Meredith scene was lovely, bonding,very charming from Maggie to say what she did. But as usual we saw none of it,haha, why even see her with kids which would have been the cutest thing ever??? 

Edited by owenhuntfan

Debbie Allen is absolutely amazing - that was great work from her in this ep. So glad she's back. She was the one that made me tear up at the end there. So much better than April's mom. And she looks terrific.

Maggie is settling in now. That's good.  I kind of like that she and Meredith are working out. But didn't Mer look for a Nanny for exactly this reason?  And yeah, I don't remember her paying any mind to April and Jackson at all.

I know a lot of people don't like Amelia, but I do. I'm glad they just quietly referred to her situation, instead of her making a big thing out of it and a ton of melodrama. I don't love the Amelia/Owen idea but it's better than the Callie/Owen idea.

More good, non-annoying Bailey as well.

Obviously we knew this episode was going to be like this, and given that, the April/Jackson stuff didn't bother me too much.  A bit overdone at points, but I think Sarah Drew, and to a greater extent Jesse Williams gave great performances.  I kind of hope we can go back to hospital stories for a bit now, though.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I really hate the writers for this Owen/Amelia thing.

I could live with it if it wasn't so forced or how Owen has been: "Oh Christina!" "Why did you leave me?" "Why did I cheat on you?" Oh Why......" You were both bad for each other. Get over it, you were officially divorce for almost 2 years and she has been gone for almost a year now. Time to move on Mr. Super Chief. Speaking of which, I see that Geena Davis's tumor storyline is going to blow up on everyone involved. No, I'm seeing it now, I'm calling Owen losing his position as chief and either Callie, Meredith or Amelia becoming the new chief. Oh can Jo be a more useless: "I hate everything about surgery I'm doing" character? Just get rid of her.

Edited by readster
I caught an older episode on Lifetime this week and in it, Callie was agonizing over Izzie getting cancer because when Izzie stole her husband, she wished Izzie dead.

Good to know they can recycle a plot point so efficiently...

I thought of that, too. I love when they can't even pretend to be original anymore.

• Love 1

I read that not only did Sarah Drew have to do this story line while pregnant, but that her baby delivered a month early and ended up in the NICU for a month due to a lung infection. It was in People a couple of weeks ago. Everything is fine now.

I just read that interview in People magazine and she named her baby Hannah. 

This was a good episode.  Everyone else has already expressed what I was going to write so I won't repeat anything other than to say that yes, Meredith has become an unlikeable bitch. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 1

I'm sure there's a reason, but if the baby was already in pain and his bones breaking in utero, why would they put him through the trauma of a vaginal birth? Wouldn't it have been easier on him to do a C-section?

• Love 7

Wasn't it Samuel Harper Avery? I thought that's what they said...but could be mistaken.

I too thought it was Samuel Harper Avery.

I did like how Catherine was realistic about the medicine and supportive of April's Christian views at the same time. She was not over the top like April's mom. April's mom would probably not shut up about God giving them a miracle and be in their face the whole time. Catherine respected their desire to be alone.

Edited by redsox7819
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

The scene with Jackson, April and the baby caught me with a tear in my eye, even though I have not liked them as a couple even before they completely humiliated her fiancé by declaring their love at her wedding to him. Selfish and horrible thing to do to a person you at least liked a little bit. Hoping that now we will see less of them, had my fill for the season now. Having said that though, Sara Drew and Jesse Williams knocked it out of the park.

I understand Mers frustration, but she was a little - ok, a lot - pushy for someone wanting help. Plus, why wouldn't Derek just come back to Seattle? He was the one that left, the least he can do is come back and see his wife and kids every once in a while.  

Don't like Amelia or her "super skilz", and her and Owen are just blah together.

Why are we not getting more of the good characters like Alex and Callie - I'd even prefer Arizona to the story lines of Japril and Brain tumor baby doctor.

"I'm sure there's a reason, but if the baby was already in pain and his bones breaking in utero, why would they put him through the trauma of a vaginal birth? Wouldn't it have been easier on him to do a C-section?"

LaDreamr - I thought the same thing...way to make the baby in even more pain, geez.

• Love 3

Not only did she do this story while pregnant, it was her idea! Shonda was resistant at first, but SD pursued it as a good story.

Wasn't it Samuel Harper Avery? I thought that's what they said...but could be mistaken.

The middle name was Norbert, after Jackson's favorite uncle. He and April discussed it during the name deliberations, with April rejecting its dorkiness. The only person I've ever heard of named Norbert is Norbert Leo Butz, who admitted that he might have changed it if he'd realized that he was going to end up successful on Broadway.

Did we ever get an explanation for the disappearing nanny? Did Mer's freak out a couple weeks ago scare off that woman who waited all day to be interviewed? If she had a nanny, none of her intrusiveness on last night's episode would have been necessary.

Don't like Amelia or her "super skilz", and her and Owen are just blah together.

They are misery together, no light, pure darkness despite as many as there were candles lit in the chapel, you saw only misery on their faces.

I don´t feel any sympathy for Amelia, she is a drug addict she stuffed her body with drugs and expected her baby would be healthy??!!! She did it to herself and to her baby, she is the one responsible for it, it´s upon her.

It´s also disgusting how she used that poor guy as testing material for her big operation on Herrman so that she doesn´t fail her super cocky attitude,so glad Stephanie called her upon it. 

Edited by owenhuntfan

Ok I stick around for acting like Jesse's and Sarah's, the last two episodes their scenes had me. I fast forward anytime Jo comes on. She just is not interesting. Unlike many, I don't care to see more of Alex and her. I am actually liking Maggie, she actually seems quite well adjusted.

I long for old Greys MAGIC... Really I do. The chemistry the show once had is only there in short glimpses now. But I keep watching for my favourites like Callie, Alex, and now Jackson and April.

I wonder if they are planning on seperating Jackson and April after this? Using a plot that has them taking the whole situation too hard and turning away from each other. I hope not :(

Owen and Amelia are whatever. I guess he needs something since Christina's gone. In the end it will be him and Christine. They need more men in the hospital for sure.

• Love 2

Why did Meredith need a baby-sitter when she was going to see Derek? Why not bring the kids with her? I'm sure she and Derek could have sex with their kids in the house, they did it back in Seattle.   I usually like Mer, but that was bugging me the whole episode.  

• Love 4