Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Hector

Tara Ariano

I was hooked from the beginning because my ex worked for the City and was longing for a promotion to Deputy Commissioner if his department. But he was passed over many times, and it was disappointing and humiliating to him. He never made big bucks working, but retired with a great pension so he actually is better off financially now.

The brownstone looked like it was two houses that were joined together, being so roomy and spacious inside, with a double-sized backyard. Maybe they bought it cheap as a fixer-upper?

The problem with the slap itself was that it wasn't done to discipline the child, but an expression of an adult's out-of-control anger. That's why it was more egregious than a swat on the bottom, which I don't condone, either.

Connie wasn't old enough to drink, so she could have been twenty. She had a responsible position at the clinic, so she wasn't a child. I would hardly call Hector a pedophile.

Edited by CousinAmy
  • Love 1

I think the show did a poor job of telling us how all these people fit into the core family, and I might not be the only one. Tara's story says that Harry is Hector's brother, which I thought as well until Harry said that Hector was like a brother to him. And I thinkhe called Hector's mom "aunt". But. Who is Uma Thurman? How are the parents of Hugo related to this family? Were there any brothers/sisters among the adults and, if so, who?

Love Victor Garber. HATE the narrator.

Totally agree ... it was brilliant in "Little Children," but just a stolen affect here.

Thanks for this explanation. I was very curious how this version differed from the novel and Australian adaptation. From what you're saying, I agree it was a mistake to make the characters hipstery Brooklynites. It might interesting to hear why the writers (?) went this route. I bet they wanted to complain about the hispter Brooklyn parents who let their kids run wild in coffee shops, but didn't think about how the other dynamics of the book would translate. Especially the dynamics between Hector and Aisha. From your explanation, his lusting seems a little more understandable.

I hated the narration. (Didn't realize that was Victor Garber.) It was distracting and the tone was off. Distancing, maybe? I was automatically disconnected from the narrative, and Hector, hearing that voice.

I agree the writers did a very poor job explaining how these people were connected and why they were together as a group. I spent too much time trying to work out the dynamics. For example, the first time Hector looks at Rosie breastfeeding Hugo in the house, I thought he was lusting after her. I thought Rosie was his sister at first, and then he was watching her breastfeed and I considered she was a sister-in-law he wanted to have an affair with. And It didn't immediately dawn on me that the scene was significant because she was breastfeeding a (practically) young adult and he was watching her with judgment. 

Another huge problem for me was not one person was likable (maybe Anouka, but only because she was making faces at all the stupid things everyone else was doing, or Aisha, because she is just so alone) and not one person was worth rooting for.

I always think it's a mistake to introduce a character with a big ugly flaw like fantasizing about a teenager. No mater what came afterward, I hated Hector. I'm also sorry to write that Peter Sarsgaard was a poor choice here. He already has a sad look about him which makes playing a character who is unhappy in his marriage extra depressing.

Hugo was awful. Since I don't believe in hitting someone else's child, i think it's best to stay away from people like Rosie, Gary and Hugo. In my real life, I never have a problem turning down invites to parties (for family, in-laws and friends) if I know someone I don't like will be there. Rosie and Gary can raise their son as they see fit, but I don't have to be around them while they do it. Since I know most people won't go to that extreme, everyone at the party should have told Gary and Rosie to take the bat from Hugo. And if they still wouldn't discipline him, it was Hector and Aisha's place to tell them they'd have to control their son or leave.

The problem here is that Aisha clearly dislikes Harry, so she wouldn't have taken his side even if she'd agreed with his decision.

So, my overall feeling is that I didn't like The Slap. It made me feel disagreeable and unhappy. We moved from Park Slope many years ago and were beginning to despise the parents moving into the area when we left. It's been nice not being around people like that. At the same time, I'm kind of fascinated. My husband is done, but I think I'll tune in for another episode to see if it gets better.

I grew up in that very part of Brooklyn way back in ... well, let's just say way before the hipsters ruined it. And believe me, if a child EVER dared to do something like that, EVERY ADULT would have taken a swing at him -- deservedly so.

Not such an awful idea to go back to children being seen and not heard.

• Love 5

Oh yes, that kid with the insane mother who thought Sansa Starke was lusting after her creepy "husband."  I couldn't stand that little brat and  I wanted someone to throw him down the shaft, or the well, or whatever that big hole in the castle was.  

It wasn't right to slap the kid, he should have smacked the parents.  I can't stand parents who think their child can do anything the fuck they want and it's all good.  My parents smacked me on the bottom when I was being a little brat and you know what?  I deserved it because I never did that shit again.

Years ago in Harlem, the city was trying to unload the property they owned there, so they sold those dilapidated brownstones for $1 but YOU had to pony up the cash to fix it up.  Don't know if they did the same thing in Brooklyn.  I have to say that it never crosses my mind, how people on TV, especially in NYC can afford to live where they do because unless it's an area like Sutton Place, Central Park West or a building like The Dakota, many neighborhoods in the city, at any given time, have been pretty marginal,(anything east of Park Avenue used to be considered a working class neighborhood, now it's full of condos) so a place that is now a million dollars, cost a fraction of that fifteen years ago.  

Those brownstones used to go for $20,000 in the late 50s, early 60s (the immigrants -- like my family -- wanted to be able to save up and move to the country, aka Long Island). But many bought the brownstones, stayed there through thick and thin, and are now real-estate millionaires. I can't click on zillow without weeping thinking of what could have been ...

• Love 1

My take:

Harry lashed out from being (1) kicked in the shin (2) by an outrageous brat. I once had to apologize to my own children for unleashing a string of words I don't normally use when I hit my shin on side of the coffee table. The pain is sudden and exquisite, so I can imagine someone lashing out inappropriately at being deliberately kicked in the shin. Another second or so, maybe reason would have kicked in, and he would have thought, "This is a child, pull back," Unfortunately, he reacted first, and now there will be hell to pay. Hugo's parents are now embarrassed and angry. Someone has hit their child, and done so publicly.  It's also clear that Gary and Harry really dislike each other, so some of Gary's desire for justice/revenge/retribution will be fueled by that. It just seems to be a perfect storm of all sorts of stuff that will just spin out of control.

I didn't realize this was an Australian show first. I'll have to check it out. I love Essie Davis in Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, so I'd love to see some more of her work.

• Love 3

The thing I hated the most about the premiere:  "Go around and take pictures of everybody.  I'll give you a penny a pic." 

A penny a picture, Hector you cheap fuck?  The kid could be there 9 hours and wouldn't make enough to take the bus home.  He offered to do it for free because he didn't want to carry around all those nickels you'd saddle him with. 

(*Bet the defense attorney will offer a lot more than a penny a pic.) 

And of course...

If a kid's going at my kid with a wooden bat and his dad doesn't intervene?  Little dude's father is getting rocked.

• Love 7

The moral of all this is never, never, never have family get-togethers - they're all powder kegs.

I thought you were going to say the moral is never, never, never have kids!  That would have been pretty funny.

I liked it. There I said it. A great cast and while the characters' behavior is awful at first, there seems to be a promise of redemption (I haven't seen the Aussie original). I think the idea of a singular action setting off a chain-reaction of events is interesting. 

Agreed.  Soapy?  Check.  Actors I like to watch?  Check.  Bad behavior to shake head at?  Check.  I'm in.

The problem with the slap itself was that it wasn't done to discipline the child, but an expression of an adult's out-of-control anger. That's why it was more egregious than a swat on the bottom, which I don't condone, either.

This is an excellent point, and an important one.  It looked like Harry was lashing out in rage after first watching Hugo swing a wooden bat at his kid, and then being kicked in the shin.  So does that make it better or worse?  Worse because Harry can't control his temper even with a child?  Or better because this was an extraordinary circumstance and Harry wouldn't act that way normally?

Like others on this board, I grew up in an era (60s-70s) when it was considered okay to physically discipline out-of-control children.  My third grade teacher had a paddle which she occasionally used, lightly.  My mother did spank me a couple of times.  One time was when I was about 6 and I hit the 11 year old neighborhood bully in the head with a stone!  I was only trying to throw it to land by his feet and scare him, but wouldn't you know it, just that one time my arm was major league baseball worthy and I pegged him in the head at 25 feet.  He was fine, but went crying home to his parents, who then came to our house, and my mother was the maddest I've ever seen her!  Spanking and grounding ensued.  But I will say that kid never bullied me again.

• Love 3

I thought you were going to say the moral is never, never, never have kids!  That would have been pretty funny.

My family get-together quip wasn't funny? :(

But, yeah.  No kids would have also solved problems.

Also, people need to stop giving girly hairstyles to boys.  It annoys the fuck out of me.

• Love 1

Yeah, penny a pic? What a bizarre thing to say to an adult (or even teenager - not sure how old he was). I could only imagine saying that to a four year old, who might be excited at earning a dollar. Was it supposed to be a joke that I didn't get?

Edited by LeGrandElephant
  • Love 5

OMG and you get away with this shocking behavior? :)  

Slade3, your comment jumped out at me because while I try to do this as well I've had quite the range of punishing reactions and am curious to see where my experiences with people's displeasure about it all lands compared to Aisha's. Also the overbearing In-Laws with The Mandatory Trip to Greece (with a specific date, no less!) also stuck a poignant chord with me for similar reasons. These are situations that irk me IRL so anytime I get to watch fictional characters deal with similar stuff I jump at it so that's why I'll be watching this show. Bonus points if they have it worse than me/handle it worse than I would.

I guess I really don't get why anyone would invite Hugo and his monstrous parents to their home. It seemed obvious to me that his history as a destructive brat with negligent flaky parents was well established with everyone there. 

Also I thought the baby sitter's friend seemed very attracted to Hector. I don't get why the babysitter would be, though.

I may watch the Australian version, wish there was a thread for it here.

I've also experienced punishing reactions from in-laws and now that we're all older, it's not as easy to ignore. I didn't realize how difficult in-laws can make one's life. If I could do it over again, I honestly would probably attend most of the parties/engagements and just sit in a corner and drink a lot.

I'm probably going to watch the Australian version when I have the time.

The thing I hated the most about the premiere: "Go around and take pictures of everybody. I'll give you a penny a pic."

A penny a picture, Hector you cheap fuck? The kid could be there 9 hours and wouldn't make enough to take the bus home. He offered to do it for free because he didn't want to carry around all those nickels you'd saddle him with.

(*Bet the defense attorney will offer a lot more than a penny a pic.)

And of course...

If a kid's going at my kid with a wooden bat and his dad doesn't intervene? Little dude's father is getting rocked.

Ha! I thought the same thing about the penny a pic offer. Like seriously? Did we take the way-back machine to 1940 when that would have been rocking? "Gee wilikers! If I take 100 pictures I'll get a whole dollar! Then I can take the gang for egg creams!" What the hell was that? That would have been a lousy offer when Hector was a teenager, let alone now.

• Love 1

Connie wasn't old enough to drink, so she could have been twenty. She had a responsible position at the clinic, so she wasn't a child. I would hardly call Hector a pedophile.

Which is why I hate her character as well. She knows exactly what she is doing.  No excuses and she proclaims to love the wife.  Of course the husband is worse...even if she is "legal" which really wasn't stated, it is one of those relationships that just squiq you out (ala Woody Allen and his stepdaughter)...not to mention just plain stupid when you are in public office.

Just to say I see in another thread that Connie is stil in high school so not exactly a healthy relationship. 

Edited by Palomar

Thinking Connie's reception desk spot is a part-time after-school job.  Hector didn't want to give her a cigarette so she's under 18.

In the second episode, they say Connie is 18 and applying to college. I assume Hector didn't want to give her a cigarette because they're bad for her, not because she's under 18. Still, her being in high school makes him way creepier than if she was in college, even if she's above the age of consent.