Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E14: Intimidation Game

• Start Topic

lucindabelle - When you are playing a First Person Shooter online, you and your squad go forth into the gaming land and try to kill as many people of the opposing team as possible whilst also trying to capture their flag or defend your flag or what have you. If you die, you will respawn at predetermined points and get to continue killing, capturing, or what have you. Camping is when a player sits at one of these respawn points and just waits for players to respawn and shoots them immediately. Thus their kill count gets pretty high and they level up faster. It's frowned upon by most of the gaming community and pretty much considered cheating. You should be out there with everyone else, not sitting still and waiting for someone to just pop up and kill them immediately. Does that make sense? Hopefully I explained it correctly.

• Love 1
Next week the wonderful ADA Rafael Barba (Raúl Esparza) is back. I miss the guy when he's gone for even 1 episode. If you haven't been introduced to him yet you should watch the show just to see him. He's like 75% the reason why I watch the show.

I got into SVU last month and spent the past few weeks marathoning seasons 12-16 online. I like almost all of the characters but fell in love with Barba pretty much immediately. I perk up every time he’s onscreen – the actor is just wonderful.

And I just have to ask - are there actually any fans of the show that are on this board/forum? I'm starting to feel like a minority but I do love the sarcastic reviews so I would hate to see this forum go...

Yeah this forum seems mostly to be people who hate the show and every character on it. I’m usually snarky when I watch shows (as evidenced by 90% of my posts on Previously TV and TWoP before that) but something about SVU makes me love everyone. Olivia, Fin, Amaro, Rollins, my boyfriend Barba…all good to me.

I wasn’t a fan of this episode. Too rushed, too clunky. Then again, there are many, many maladjusted entitled gamer boys who have yet to emerge from their parents’ basement and actually talk to real-life women.

The boyfriend was so odd – the stilted speaking, the lack of affect – that I thought he was going to be behind it.

• Love 2

I think there are plenty of fans of the show here. I like most of the actors and characters and am getting into the show again as the writing seems to be improving. I want it to be good and I'm rooting for it. Just because we have snarky comments (like pointing out the way the writers love to show off that they did some research by having the squad rattle off statistics) or serious criticisms (the Noah story is seriously overdone and Mariska Hargitay needs to put aside her ego for the good of the show) doesn't mean we're not fans.

Like I wrote in my post I like the sarcastic reviews & I don't mind snarky remarks one bit, I loved TwoP & miss it dearly. My question was more based on the comments like 'why is this show still on the air' & similar things like that that I've read more than once on this forum. I just don't get why you would write something like that on a fan forum? I know I'm not the only fan that gets knots in the stomach every year around cancellation time, it's a dreadful feeling for those of us that live for TV way more than what's healthy for us, and not knowing if your favorite show (& the characters you like more than your own relatives) will be there for you next season or not.

It's always okay to be critical of a show but there are ways to do that w/o being disrespectful to its fans. & I admire posters who can bitch w/o actually being bitchy, it's a rare & admirable trait. I'm not a fan of Noah either, honestly can't stand the kid (nor can my gag reflex apparently) but I try not to voice that too much or too loudly cause I know he has fans out there & I don't want to disrespect them too much.

So snark & sarcasm I get, I even get hating a show (I hate plently of them myself) but I just can't get my head around why you would go on a fan forum to express that hate. Just because it is the internet & we're all hiding behind icons/screennames shouldn't mean we can lose respect for other ppl. Lose respect for shows, showrunners, actors - fine, for other ppl/fans - never fine.

That was sorta where my initial question came from & I'm happy to see/hear there are other fans on this forum.

& just to stay a ltl on topic for this thread, a (previously loathed but now oddly missed) relic of the old TwoP board - I rewatched the episode and still enjoyed it very much & tomorrow's looks awesome judging by the spoilers, since N is in it though I'll make sure to not eat a heavy dinner before watching.

• Love 1

I completely understand respecting the fans. But some do "hate watch". And sometimes, it can bring the snark. I don't think it is fair for either side to feel like they can't have their opinions.

Does it suck that some do indeed hate watch for the more satisfied fans? Sure. But this is a board for all ideas. As long as posters are respecting those opposing opinions and each other, I don't see an issue.

• Love 1

I don't hate the show, but I don't love the show. It has changed so dramatically from what it once was. I know a show must change when it has as many seasons as SVU had, but some of the changes aren't the best. It seems like they made half the characters angry people whose personal lives get in the way of their jobs. I would love to see less personal lives of the detectives. 

Another thing is that they changed Olivia so much. She used to be my favorite character and she doesn't even seem like the same person. They also made Amaro into Stabler 2.0. The last few seasons of Stabler were the worst. His anger and constant family problems took over the show. I was hoping that Amaro would be different. This is why I love Carisi so much. His character is so different from the others. He is happy and seems to like coming to work. Hopefully they don't ruin his character. 

The last thing I'm not in love with this season is the "ripped from the headlines" storylines. I know it's hard to think of storylines after so many seasons, but I really dislike these episodes. They just seem like a copout because I feel like I know What is going to happen. They are obviously not going to stick with the "real life" turnout, so I can guess what would happen next.

SVU was definitely one of my favorite shows, but I watch it now because I feel like I have some sort of attachment to it. It's not the same show, but it is still entertaining at times, and that is what makes me come back to it.  

Edited by Suzy123
  • Love 1

I freely admit I no longer like Olivia. She was once normal (as much as she could be given her background, that is!) but now, she's sour, bitter, bitchy, and just angry. Maybe a lot of shit happened to her, but it doesn't make it any easier to watch her now. I thought maybe bringing on a kid for her would help, but...not really.

In a way, I'm sort of glad Elliot is no longer around, otherwise the rage issues would be at Incredible Hulk levels. As it is, I sometimes wonder when Olivia's skin will start sporting a green hue.

If most of the early writers are no more, watch prior seasons to get a better handle on these characters. Or focus on characters who are a bit more likeable.

• Love 2

Next week the wonderful ADA Rafael Barba (Raúl Esparza) is back. I miss the guy when he's gone for even 1 episode. If you haven't been introduced to him yet you should watch the show just to see him. He's like 75% the reason why I watch the show.

And the other 25% for me is Fin.  Barba and Fin just bring the hotness/awesomeness every time. I also love the relationship between Fin and Rollins.  I dislike the whole Noah storyline.  I've been in from the beginning--I'll be here until the end.  There are times when I wonder what Stabler is up to and I adored Munch and miss him terribly. 

Falsely accusing people at the drop of a hat, assaulting suspects, and being a overbearing asshat?

Ugh. I hated Stabler. I loveeee all the new detectives. When he was in the show I was actively rooting for the criminals smh.