Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Open House

I think it's because he's now compromised by the KGB, the very Russians his country is at war with.

FYI - Yousef is part of Pakistan's intelligence service (ISI).  Afghanistan never really had much of a government, and as their "neighbor next door" Pakistan has always had in interest in the country.

Source:  http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/americans-yousaf-204049

I put my hand up to cover the screen during the dentistry in the basement scene, and I agree with others that it's ridiculous that the KGB has a tame surgeon and multiple cars/drivers available on short notice but no tame dentist.  They don't even need anyone committed to the cause, just someone willing to take a job for $$ without asking questions.

Although, since Stan already knew Elizabeth was [what was it, in a car accident or mugged?], I'm not sure why her going to the dentist is a big danger anyway. Presumably someone changed out their Russian fillings for American ones when they came to the US, so safe there.  If she shows up on the list of "people who went to the dentist," Stan probably won't think twice.  Heck, to fake the mugging all she has to do is say she was in a deserted garage where there are no cameras (isn't there one of those conveniently located to the office they need to be at day and night?!] and doesn't recall what the guy looked like.  Cops take the report, nothing can really be done. 

The CIA agent leaves his work out during an open house was lazy writing, something we don't normally see from this show.  And the writers are beginning to act like the FBI/CIA are idiots, which is also lazy writing.  But wouldn't John Boy get in some trouble for overriding the CIA?  I must have missed him getting his job back anyway.

SInce Afghanistan was such an unknown country back in 1982, I'm not sure the CIA has the option to dismiss the entire group; and I'm guessing the baby sitter is over 18 so if Phillip does seduce her it won't be as creepy as "baby sitter" makes us think.  At least I hope so!

• Love 1
Although, since Stan already knew Elizabeth was [what was it, in a car accident or mugged?], I'm not sure why her going to the dentist is a big danger anyway.

No, nothing like that. Stan only saw that Elizabeth had hurt her shoulder and she claimed she did it carrying heavy groceries. He would definitely suspect her if she was on a dentist list as much as he'd suspect anyone else. Even more, since she was injured that same night (and he'd suspected them once before).

I do think the KGB ought to be able to get a dentist who'd do this stuff for money, but I can also buy that they'd consider this something agents could deal with. It's quite possible that Elizabeth could have called the Centre and asked for help but didn't because she's Elizabeth, hoping it would just go away.

The CIA agent leaves his work out during an open house was lazy writing, something we don't normally see from this show.

He didn't leave work out, I don't think. At least I hope not. He just had cancelled checks in his office, I think. Though having an open house at all may be unrealistic.

SInce Afghanistan was such an unknown country back in 1982, I'm not sure the CIA has the option to dismiss the entire group; and I'm guessing the baby sitter is over 18 so if Phillip does seduce her it won't be as creepy as "baby sitter" makes us think.  At least I hope so!

I suspect the opposite, that she will absolutely be under 18 and just as creepy as it sounds!

• Love 1

Although, since Stan already knew Elizabeth was [what was it, in a car accident or mugged?], I'm not sure why her going to the dentist is a big danger anyway. Presumably someone changed out their Russian fillings for American ones when they came to the US, so safe there.  If she shows up on the list of "people who went to the dentist," Stan probably won't think twice.  Heck, to fake the mugging all she has to do is say she was in a deserted garage where there are no cameras (isn't there one of those conveniently located to the office they need to be at day and night?!] and doesn't recall what the guy looked like.  Cops take the report, nothing can really be done. 

That wasn't the lie Elizabeth used.  She was nursing her shoulder when he came over and she mentioned she had hurt herself getting groceries out of the car.

Stan may not be the best agent but if he sees Elizabeth's name on the list of dental patients and takes a second look at the profile sketch, it would definitely put the Jennings back on his radar.  He might even bring Gaad and the other agent a photo of her just to be certain.

• Love 1

Henry probably picked up that photo one of the times he broke into their house to play video games.

Henry broke into the house of a young friend, not Stan's house. Or were you making a joke?

Actually, the Beeman house would be a perfect target now because Stan's gone most of the time. So Henry did break in and thus stole the photo? It would be hilarious if Stan had to come over and tell his close friend Phillip, "Hate to tell you, but I caught your son breaking into my house." The look on Phillip's face would be priceless.

So Oleg chose to stay in the U.S. even though Arkady said he was "ordered" to sign the transfer paperwork? My read on the situation -- and I may be totally wrong --is that Oleg's father was using Nina as the bargaining chip to get his son back to Moscow. As in, you come home and follow the Party career path I'll set for you, and I'll ensure that Nina gets released (not to be with Oleg, but just to be freed and allowed to live however she can).

Viewers believe that Oleg loves Nina, we're not sure that Nina loves Oleg, right? Oleg's father does not believe she loves Oleg. Oleg said no to the transfer. Is he choosing the U.S. over Nina? 

Edited by RedHawk

Please, let Martha adoptive a child.  So it will get her out of that DEPRESSING single women apartment! 

Makes Mrs. K apt. on the Simpson look like a 5 star resort 

Edited by gwhh
  • Love 1

Tara's right, the recaps on PTV are great, with great gifs and screen caps too.  I love all the media on this show, some really well done stuff is out there.  Check the media thread for more, oh, and add to it if you find something good!  Ha.  I'm a junkie for the thoughtful discussion about this show.

I keep thinking the open house was a trap.  It wasn't the CIA being stupid, they were luring out the KGB.  After all, right after they leave, they are being followed.  I could be wrong, but I keep coming back to that.

If you don't know why Elizabeth couldn't just go to the dentist, you really need to watch a bit closer, they've made it very clear, both in last episode and this one.  The FBI sent out an alert, and they are getting endless calls from dentists responding.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3

The CIA, and the DIA provides safes and such to agent so they can store stuff at home in there!  Plus in case they think you gone bad, they can break into you house and into the safe real easy.  the government gives you nothing for free and without a sinister purpose 

FYI - Yousef is part of Pakistan's intelligence service (ISI).  Afghanistan never really had much of a government, and as their "neighbor next door" Pakistan has always had in interest in the country.

Source:  http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/americans-yousaf-204049

I put my hand up to cover the screen during the dentistry in the basement scene, and I agree with others that it's ridiculous that the KGB has a tame surgeon and multiple cars/drivers available on short notice but no tame dentist.  They don't even need anyone committed to the cause, just someone willing to take a job for $$ without asking questions.

The CIA agent leaves his work out during an open house was lazy writing, something we don't normally see from this show.  And the writers are beginning to act like the FBI/CIA are idiots, which is also lazy writing.  But wouldn't John Boy get in some trouble for overriding the CIA?  I must have missed him getting his job back anyway.

• Love 1
My only nitpick, or biggest one this week.  So, they tell her they are spies and want her to join the KGB with them.  So, if she has a choice she just says "no thanks."  Then what?  The KGB is just fine knowing a 14 year old knows their secret?  Yeah, I don't think so.

This is the question I keep wondering why Phillip hasn't posed.  I mean, there's Elizabeth and her mentor talking about how Paige will totally have a choice, but if you're Phillip, doesn't that naturally lead to "But she has no options once she knows who we are..."  so it's really odd that that hasn't been brought up.  

Presumably Hans is going to get some of that old time religion or something, to be the person to approach Paige, because otherwise there is no way that Elizabeth and Phillip are anything other than burned to the ground if Paige tries to opt out.  However, they were talking about how The Center had learned from its mistakes with Jared, but Elizabeth has talked repeatedly about getting Paige to the point where she and Phillip can reveal who they are.  Most of the time it sounds like they intend to tell Paige who they are and I just can't envision how they think that is going to work ...unless they totally believe that Elizabeth would kill Paige if ordered to do so.  

On the Oleg being summoned home by his father and the Station Chief telling him that he was allowing him to make the decision himself: I assumed that was some kind of test on the part of Oleg's father with the Station Chief being in cahoots, because yeah, whereas Oleg might be all "Screw you, Mother Russia, I am staying here, you can't make me..." there is just no way the Station Chief would imperil his own neck for Oleg like that. Seemed like it had to be a plan on the part of Oleg's father.   I'm just not sure to what end.  

I'm always so happy when Stan shows any evidence of being even marginally competent.  It gladdens my heart.  

Martha really is super doomed, but what was up with the FBI agent clearly flirting with her? Maybe Martha is going to be the one to dump Phillip/Clark? 

When the Dentistry started I was on the elliptical and man, did that ever put an abrupt end to that workout.  I'm surprised I didn't leave a cartoon puff of dust in my wake, because I literally fled the room as soon as I saw the pliers.  

If Hans isn't being used to recruit Paige, there has to be some reason he's being featured so much.  Maybe he'll be used as the babysitter lure?  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 5
I'm guessing the bit swapping out Brezhnev's portrait for Andropov is a set-up, the first in a series to come very, very quickly. :)

There was this Soviet joke from that period - a TV anchor is reading on the evening news: "Dear comrades! You are probably going to laugh, but our Motherland has again suffered an irreplaceable loss..."

Can someone explain why Yousaf doesn't just tell Phil & Liz to fuck off?  Sure he killed Analise but she admitted to being a spy, and supposedly Yousaf is very valuable to the CIA.  Wouldn't the CIA have his back rather than have him go to jail for murder?

The only person she admitted being a spy to is the guy who murdered her, so that's probably not going to carry much weight. Besides, wasn't Annalise married to someone from the Pentagon? It's not obvious the CIA will want to protect Yousaf under the circumstances. And I'm not sure he is that valuable to the CIA to start with - he is just a liaison and can be replaced just as easily as he himself replaced the previous guy. Even if Yousaf gives Philip to the CIA, they may still decide they don't need him that much (for all he knows, at least).

Hans is just another agent that Elizabeth's mentoring. He can be used for all sorts of things and doesn't have to be Paige related at all (at least not plotwise--he can always be a parallel for Elizabeth).

Yes, but the question still stands - what is the point of Hans? This show has Chekhov's everything - Martha's gun, Zinaida's chocolate, Hans... 

• Love 2
Yes, but the question still stands - what is the point of Hans? This show has Chekhov's everything - Martha's gun, Zinaida's chocolate, Hans...

Oh, he definitely has some point. it just doesn't seem obvious that Elizabeth would send him to deal with Paige. She doesn't even appear in front of this guy with her real hair, so why would she want him near her daughter?

Don't forget we also have Nina's cellmate. She's there for some reason too.

I thought that Philip looked genuinely touched when she said that it only seemed right for them to share their plenty with someone who didn't have any. That's also a fundamentally communist sentiment, and while I agree with the people who have said that Philip is a Russian rather than a Soviet, it still isn't ~nothing~ to hear that coming out of an American woman's mouth, imo.

I thought the sentiment was sweet, but she and "Clark" just aren't in a good position to foster a child (even knowing only what Martha knows). There are other ways to help. Now that you mention Philip being momentarily touched though, I wonder if our speculations about him being an orphan/having had a rough childhood are correct and he has a soft spot for anyone who wants to help a child in need.

• Love 3

I thought the sentiment was sweet, but she and "Clark" just aren't in a good position to foster a child (even knowing only what Martha knows). There are other ways to help. Now that you mention Philip being momentarily touched though, I wonder if our speculations about him being an orphan/having had a rough childhood are correct and he has a soft spot for anyone who wants to help a child in need.

IA that he can't let this happen, I doubt he would pass the background check. But I think he also couldn't make himself say no to her again when she put things that way -- that they had so much and that wasn't it only right to share it with a child in need. That's why he just smiled, imo, and then when she turned away, looked like he knew this was the beginning of the end for her.

They were talking about strength earlier in the episode and showed how strong and disciplined Elizabeth is. Going through a lot of hardship might make someone hard in a good way -- strong, tough -- but also hard in a bad way. Martha is "soft" but she's also generous, and I think that Philip values generosity. I think it's notable to Philip that Martha sees vulnerability (a child who has nothing) and wants to help, and Elizabeth sees vulnerability (a child who knows nothing) and wants to exploit it -- like Philip thinks she's doing with Paige.

• Love 6
I think it's notable to Philip that Martha sees vulnerability (a child who has nothing) and wants to help, and Elizabeth sees vulnerability (a child who knows nothing) and wants to exploit it -- like Philip thinks she's doing with Paige.

Well said, rue.  I wasn't sure what to make of the look on Phil/Clark's face at that moment, but it really may be that he was touched that Martha wanted to put a child's welfare first.  One of the things that obviously troubles Philip about the entire recruitment-of-Paige plan, is that he knows that once Paige is at the mercy of The Center, they can ask her to do more and more.  He also seems to know that Elizabeth can't truly believe that The Center would keep their word fully and that Paige would only be asked to pass information (which is still treason and could still end very badly for her).  

So I think it troubles Philip a great deal that Elizabeth would expose Paige to all of the dangers they face so frequently, whereas Martha seems to have an actual desire to love and protect a child.  

Every time I think Martha is done for, something seems to work out for her and I do think Philip would have a very difficult time killing her.  I know he finds her annoying (that is understandable) , but I think when she turned away the look on Phil's face wasn't, "Your time has come" he was just troubled by the contrast between Elizabeth and Martha when it came to being actually maternal. 

Phil had some rather dire sounding story about being a kid and fighting off gangs just to get milk, or bread and he clearly has a (completely understandable) horror of the thought of Paige being exposed to physical danger.  

I always hope there's a chance that Philip will figure out a way to leave Martha without getting her killed in the process.  

• Love 6

I want to hear the end of the story of how Phillip fought off the commie street gang in Siberian as boy of less than 10 and got the milk home! 

Man does that not sound like an opening of a kick butt cold war novel! 

Well said, rue.  I wasn't sure what to make of the look on Phil/Clark's face at that moment, but it really may be that he was touched that Martha wanted to put a child's welfare first.  One of the things that obviously troubles Philip about the entire recruitment-of-Paige plan, is that he knows that once Paige is at the mercy of The Center, they can ask her to do more and more.  He also seems to know that Elizabeth can't truly believe that The Center would keep their word fully and that Paige would only be asked to pass information (which is still treason and could still end very badly for her).  

So I think it troubles Philip a great deal that Elizabeth would expose Paige to all of the dangers they face so frequently, whereas Martha seems to have an actual desire to love and protect a child.  

Every time I think Martha is done for, something seems to work out for her and I do think Philip would have a very difficult time killing her.  I know he finds her annoying (that is understandable) , but I think when she turned away the look on Phil's face wasn't, "Your time has come" he was just troubled by the contrast between Elizabeth and Martha when it came to being actually maternal. 

Phil had some rather dire sounding story about being a kid and fighting off gangs just to get milk, or bread and he clearly has a (completely understandable) horror of the thought of Paige being exposed to physical danger.  

I always hope there's a chance that Philip will figure out a way to leave Martha without getting her killed in the process.  

• Love 3

Most contrived moment: Paige voluntarily going in to pick up her brother's laundry.  No sibling has ever done that without being ordered to do so.

The impression I get is that Paige has taken it upon herself to look out for Henry and basically raise him, since it is now clear to her that her parents simply aren't going to do it. I've found that to be the case in families where the parents are too busy with work or their own lives to spend much time with their children.

• Love 13
The impression I get is that Paige has taken it upon herself to look out for Henry and basically raise him, since it is now clear to her that her parents simply aren't going to do it.

Yes, Paige and Henry are beyond latchkey kids at this point.  On the night in question Philip arrived home to find Paige sitting up and watching TV and he expressed surprise that she was still up. Philip even made a point of talking about how often they "work late".    It made it seem like the kids are accustomed to doing things like getting their own dinner and overseeing their own homework.  It is supposed to be depicting a different time period, but even by the more relaxed standards of the day Philip and Elizabeth seem to regularly err on the side of having free range children.  They both managed to be basically abducted while hitching home from the mall a couple of seasons back. 

It's not just Paige being super responsible though, Henry apparently does his homework, etc. without parental supervision.  If Paige had even slightly different personality (prone to going out and partying) a) Elizabeth in particular doesn't seem above physically kicking her ass b) Elizabeth and Philip would have met up with Social Services long before this time. 

In the seventies there was a truly hilarious public service announcement at ten o'clock at night that I'm sure most of us have at least heard of because it is the stuff of pop culture legend: It's Ten O'Clock, Do You Know Where Your Children Are?  

In Paige and Henry's case the answer to that almost always seems to be: We assume they are in the house, where we are reliably not.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 13
Yes, but the question still stands - what is the point of Hans? This show has Chekhov's everything - Martha's gun, Zinaida's chocolate, Hans..

I was hoping that Paige was going to go to the basement to finish the laundry and walk in on her dad pulling her mom's molar!  I was sure with the "Paige doing laundry" set up that it would lead to Paige discovering something....  Chekhov's laundry?

Edited by Janc
  • Love 1
It's not just Paige being super responsible though, Henry apparently does his homework, etc. without parental supervision.  If Paige had even slightly different personality (prone to going out and partying) a) Elizabeth in particular doesn't seem above physically kicking her ass b) Elizabeth and Philip would have met up with Social Services long before this time.

The kids seem to have had a pretty stable upbringing in the past with rules etc., which probably explains some of their good behavior. In Paige's case I get the feeling that her whole Christian youth group rebellion is tied in some part to a certain conservative behavior (not conservative politics, just behavior). She doesn't like her parents weirdness and odd hours and I think she gets satisfaction out of thinking of herself as the responsible one who's doing the laundry and making dinner when her parents aren't home. I think it's an exaggeration to say that Paige is raising anybody, but I've no doubt she's embracing the role of good mother and generous Christian. She probably associates partying and that sort of thing with the type of things her parents are doing.

Philip's surprise at her still being up was of course silly--she was watching Fantasy Island, exactly as most kids her age were probably doing at that time on a Saturday Night. The weird part is that her parents, who probably intended to be out much earlier, wound up trapped on the streets until, for Philip, after 10pm. That kind of thing definitely must signal to the kids that their parents are unreliable, so it's no wonder Paige is drawn to church. Given her personality and anxiety the last thing she seems to want right now is to act out and find more chaos--which ironically winds up enabling her parents' late hours because rather than trying to get their attention she's just trying to transfer herself into a more stable family with the church. 

I do think, btw, that when Paige claimed she "couldn't sleep" she was obviously lying since a) it wasn't even yet 11:00 and b) she was still dressed. A friend of mine said that was the thing that really seemed odd to her in the scene--we both agreed that we probably never watched Fantasy Island in anything but pajamas or at least sweats, but Paige looks like she's ready to head out for church right now. I think that what Paige was actually doing was waiting up until one of her parents at least came home. Once Philip was there she could relax and go to sleep. I think she's got *a lot* of real anxiety about them being out of the house.

But remember that she's still easily asking her mom to drive her to malls to drop stuff off. We still get plenty of scenes of the family all home at the same time, eating meals or starting their day in the kitchen. 

I guess this also lays out more complications for the whole "recruit Paige" scenario. Because while on the one hand she does want to make a difference in the world, she doesn't seem to much relish an exciting life or becoming a "lunatic" like her parents. Her church might be liberal politically but I assume it's still encouraging pretty conservative behavior. This is exactly the sort of thing it was associated with from the beginning. If she likes drinking juice and eating cookies and singing hymns she seems very much *not* like Elizabeth who never wanted to be a wife and mother. On the subject of what the two of them are doing with themselves she always goes to the same place: sexual immorality. She always goes back to the idea that one or both is having an affair. Now that Elizabeth's coming to church she's imagining scenarios where Elizabeth is the naive, trusting wife and Philip's the cheat. And I think walking in on her parents 69-ing only seemed to encourage this thinking.

Of course, there's then this ironic juxtaposition with how her parents see this life she's leading as actually the opposite of this. She still isn't being handed the kind of responsibility either of them was expected to handle at that age--yet Philip, at least, asks if she resents the responsibility she does have. Paige says no, but I didn't really take that as honest. I took it more as Paige rejecting the attempt at bonding to continue to make clear that she's distancing herself.

• Love 3

Thanks for the recap, because I was really confused about the conversation Philip had with Gabriel and the whole open house thing.  I was trying to figure out who the guy they were bugging was, and why they were then being followed.  I've noticed that Elizabeth seems to do most of the driving, maybe they should switch places.  That way, she could roll out the passenger door and Philip would feel free to stop and abandon the car somewhere.  Also, are we to presume this is a spare car they use just for these purposes, i.e. not registered to them or anyone connected with them?

I also agree that it just seems very weird that the Russians don't have a dentist they can send Elizabeth to, even if its in another state.

• Love 1

Elizabeth can't go to a dentist even in another state. Did you catch the scene towards the end where Aderholt said to Stan that he was fielding calls from dentists all over who had little old lady clients who somewhat matched her description? He mentioned that as he was picking up a call from a dentist in Buffalo, NY, which is quite far from DC.

As for the reason they were being tailed, someone on another board explained it really well: Paaswell was being closely tailed by the CIA as one of their (vulnerable) Afghanistan team. Eliz and Phil started tailing Paaswell after the open house. One of Paaswell's CIA tails noted Eliz and Phil pass them more than once, which implied they were tailing Paaswell...so they started tailing Eliz and Phil.

• Love 9

Also, are we to presume this is a spare car they use just for these purposes, i.e. not registered to them or anyone connected with them?

If I recall correctly, Gregory used to have a guy who worked at a government parking garage and would lend parked cars out to the Jenningses on a temporary basis. Presumably they have some other pipeline for vehicles along those same lines. Though I do find it a bit convenient that our heroes keep losing hugely important operational assets like Gregory and George the phone guy and yet it doesn't seem to cause more than a brief disruption in their activities.

I also agree that it just seems very weird that the Russians don't have a dentist they can send Elizabeth to, even if its in another state.

Well, speaking of operational disruptions, the KGB did have an out-of-state safehouse where Elizabeth recuperated after being shot at the end of season 1, but Larrick later discovered it and murdered the agent who ran it. Which perhaps suggests that they lost the capability, at least temporarily, and certainly indicates why they might be reluctant to bring different assets together for a non-emergency procedure that Philip can perform in his basement if necessary.

Edited by Dev F
  • Love 4

I didn't watch the dental scene with the spoken track over it linked to above but I wonder if the Jennings' didn't bother with an undercover doctor because that's for major life threatening stuff like bullet wounds, not sore molars.  They're tough and independent and low maintenance.  Though I'm surprised their little basement hideaway doesn't have some anesthetic and more first aid type stuff, for this sort of thing.  Or maybe it does, just not novocaine.  Or maybe skipping it is to show more of their toughness.  

I didn't find the ep dull at all, between Philip almost getting caught snooping the den and Elizabeth almost getting caught in the car, and everything else.  KR's butt is adorable but holy cow is that woman tiny.  I mean, her limbs are like a child's.  

Having a 14 year old daughter, I'm a little uncomfortable at the thought of Paige doing spy work.  But if they're just talking about letting her in on the secret, that might be ok.  Eh, actually I'm not a fan of that, either.  She's a kid.  And she'll never be a Russian kid.  Why subject her to it, and them to the exposure?  Especially after Jared?  

You know, now I think about it, I'm a little surprised that Gabriel didn't obtain any Novocaine or other anesthetic for Elizabeth. He's such an observant old bastard, I'd think he's notice her toothache. Even in Russia at the time they used anesthetic for tooth extractions.

• Love 1

I think the Centre or more likely Elizabeth and Philip had backup for emergencies like a bullet wound or a car chase; a "loose tooth" although painful is hardly what they would consider an emergency.

<--/wow my English is horrible I would make a horrible Russian Spy....or a good one?

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Still, you have to know what you are doing with those pliers. I'd be afraid that I would do more damage than is already there if I had to extract someone's cracked tooth. I bet spy schools have some kind of health class to teach things like that. Maybe folding and packing people into luggage is part of that class too, since it's kind of related.

• Love 3

The dentist moment was hard but I loved it. I loved the way they were looking at each other, the trust they shared. It was oddly, darkly romantic.

If I'm not mistaken, we haven't heard any plan from the Rezidentura about the defector. And as Stan realized, she was telling the Americans what they wanted to hear. Maybe she was being honest, but maybe not; she could be another spy.

• Love 6
Well, speaking of operational disruptions, the KGB did have an out-of-state safehouse where Elizabeth recuperated after being shot at the end of season 1, but Larrick later discovered it and murdered the agent who ran it. Which perhaps suggests that they lost the capability, at least temporarily, and certainly indicates why they might be reluctant to bring different assets together for a non-emergency procedure that Philip can perform in his basement if necessary.

Particularly given that there were enough agents/sympathizers within driving distance to try and extract Elizabeth, it is at least a little bit of a stretch that they wouldn't have access to a dentist. 

Elizabeth can't go to a dentist even in another state. Did you catch the scene towards the end where Aderholt said to Stan that he was fielding calls from dentists all over who had little old lady clients who somewhat matched her description? He mentioned that as he was picking up a call from a dentist in Buffalo, NY, which is quite far from DC.

That's true, but I think the point other people are making and that I am making, is that it is a bit difficult to believe that the KGB doesn't have a sympathetic dentist who would not report Elizabeth to any authorities.  

However, I guess I can fanwank that easily enough in that perhaps it just isn't that easy to recruit people in lucrative positions for obvious reasons, because Communism wouldn't hold much appeal.  Money would, but trying to find someone who is sympathetic might be more difficult. 

I don't the the Centre or more likely Elizabeth and Philip had backup for emergencies like a bullet wound or a car chase; a "loose tooth" although painful is hardly what they would consider an emergency.

Actually a dental abscess can kill someone if it goes untreated, or result in a lovely case of murderous sepsis, but in that case, you'd think a doctor with a prescription pad for painkillers and antibiotics could be easily found after the pliers incident.  Also, whereas it makes sense that doctors would be on the payroll and bribed, dentists make less sense. I think it would be at least reasonably rare that someone would have a dental injury they had to keep secret, whereas stab wounds and gunshots are always supposed to be reported to the police.  

• Love 3

Really, how many dental emergencies are there?  She needed a tooth pulled.  Philip pulled it.  I'm thinking they have a surgeon on retainer that they pay dearly for major emergencies, and he is who would do whatever medical care they couldn't administer themselves or see a US doctor for.  I don't blame Elizabeth for not wanting to make a major commotion over a sore tooth.  

Didn't the dude on Castaway pull his abscessed, infected molar himself, eventually?  Now THAT would hurt, and be difficult without tools.  But plyers, husband, whiskey, cracked/sore tooth... I'd do what they did, too.  

Really, how many dental emergencies are there?  She needed a tooth pulled.  Philip pulled it.  I'm thinking they have a surgeon on retainer that they pay dearly for major emergencies, and he is who would do whatever medical care they couldn't administer themselves or see a US doctor for.  I don't blame Elizabeth for not wanting to make a major commotion over a sore tooth.  

Didn't the dude on Castaway pull his abscessed, infected molar himself, eventually?  Now THAT would hurt, and be difficult without tools.  But plyers, husband, whiskey, cracked/sore tooth... I'd do what they did, too.

Good point......plus wasn't she SHOT or serioulsy injured in season one or whenever and they somehow had secret staff to operate and have her recuperate for weeks without anyone in the US knowing, but they can't find someone to pull her tooth? And they are serioulsy having every dentist in the DC area and around there checking every single person coming in to have a tooth pulled for this description of her? I somehow find it hard to believe that would work. That is thousands of people every single week.

Was hoping she would get caught this episode, would make the story more interesting.

Martha is just angling to get herself killed.

• Love 2

Yeah, but that disgruntled guy killed that doctor and safe house, so...perhaps no replacement has arrived, or they haven't found a place to put them yet.

Also, honestly, having a tooth pulled was extremely common, at home, with pliers just a bit over 100 years ago.  Novocaine was basically invented as a sub for cocaine around 1905.  Before that, this was pretty common stuff.  For people who can't afford dentists, or in parts of the world where seeing one isn't feasible?  It still probably is. 

I'd be more worried that they score some AB.

• Love 1

I had a dentist in the Boston in the 80's who totally would have tended to Elizabeth without hesitation. I remember the rousing political speeches he had running in the background in at every visit. I left because I moved and because his self-designed equipment always failed anyway. Still, the dental work is still OK.

The Centre could have found a guy like this if they had wanted. But then where would the drama be? At first, I thought Phillip had pulled the wrong tooth by mistake. Glad that didn't happen. 

• Love 3

I would've preferred that they had tried to contact "their dentist" or any shadowy dentist but couldn't get a hold of him and Philip was "forced" to do it himself.  Given we saw Elizabeth have surgery performed by "their surgeon", it was odd that they had no dentist at all. 

• Love 2

A broken tooth could end up infected, so if it's painful, it probably needs to come out. The doctor on retainer could do it if necessary and use local anesthesia. I agree that Elizabeth does not want to look weak or needy, but whiskey and grungy pliers are a little much. The scene does intensify the relationship between Phillip and Elizabeth and their separation from mainstream American society.

• Love 5
A broken tooth could end up infected, so if it's painful, it probably needs to come out. The doctor on retainer could do it if necessary and use local anesthesia. I agree that Elizabeth does not want to look weak or needy, but whiskey and grungy pliers are a little much. The scene does intensify the relationship between Phillip and Elizabeth and their separation from mainstream American society.

True, especially about their separation from mainstream society, but people without dental insurance do this too. If the tooth got infected they no doubt would go to their doctor, but Philip didn't seem to be just going into this completely blind. They both could just have considered this part of the sort of stuff they can do at home (presumably with pliers that were sterilized). I assume they can probably stitch each other up to an extent. But I can see them putting off a doctor visit unless the tooth or spot where they took out the tooth got infected.

Also, Claudia has a history of lying, so that's part of it too.  Gabriel hasn't outlined the "take her aside, tell her who you really are" ....and since that makes no sense at all as a workable plan, I think there has to be a step before Elizabeth and Phillip get to tell her who they are.

But if she tells Elizabeth to tell Paige the truth why wouldn't Elizabeth tell the truth? They can hardly blame it on Elizabeth if she didn't know she was lying and did what she said. That appeared to be what Gabriel was pressuring them about as well. When he asked how things were coming with Paige he was asking if they were getting ready to tell her. Elizabeth's lines about doing what they had to do were about preparing her to hear the truth, as she said to Gabriel.

The Centre already took this risk once with Jared. They didn't just recruit him into the KGB, they told him his parents' secret to recruit him--and he didn't tell. So the don't seem to see that as an unriskable thing.

Edited by sistermagpie

Does the KGB have undercover agents in multiple cities?  I wonder if they have one east coast (or even US) surgeon, who flies to a city for an emergency.  

Maybe it's because I grew up in the 70s but pulling teeth with whatever was pretty commonplace, including string tied to door knobs.  The dirtiest thing involved in any case is probably the peoples' hands.  

Loved the episode because there was real tension in the car chase and we saw Elizabeth really rattled for the first time (that I can recall).

I keep thinking the cars that she and Phillip use to race around the city on these missions can be traced. Even if the KGB switches out license plates and has friendly resources, wouldn't a patient FBI agent try to track the plates down and apply pressure to whomever he finds is the resource?

How would Paige's presumably pro-American Christian beliefs be receptive to Big Scary Communism? Guess the idea is that very slow, steady careful indoctrination would overcome that. But would they keep Henry in the dark forever?

Why did the writers create the scene with Henry and the photo? Surely something will come of that.

I want equal opportunity nudity with Phillip.

Martha seems rather hapless, and is portrayed as such, but I suspect there's a die-hard patriot underneath her clueless shell and that something will cause her to suspect Phillip and turn on him, and he will have to do the deed.

Love the 80s DC references in this one - Don Beyer Volvo!

• Love 5
Martha seems rather hapless, and is portrayed as such, but I suspect there's a die-hard patriot underneath her clueless shell and that something will cause her to suspect Phillip and turn on him, and he will have to do the deed.

See, I'm hoping that the flirtation with agent Time Efficiency (what the heck is his name? He has his arm in a sling, because Elizabeth sort of kicked his ass into the path of a motorcycle) will actually woo her away from Phillip.  

Although, come to think of it, I'm not sure why I think Martha could break up with Phillip.  I just don't think that it is a given that she ends up dead out of all of this.  At least, I hope not.  Martha is sort of clueless, but it seems like Phillip actually likes her as a human being.  Her character is often used for comic relief -- which the show can use sometimes, because Elizabeth in particular is not a laugh riot -- but it would absolutely upset me to see her die.   

They've made such an issue of "Martha wants kids quite badly" that I'm sort of hoping that Agent Time Efficiency will rapidly express an interest in her and having a family and Martha will dump Clark.   I know it is so unlikely to happen that way, I just don't want the poor woman to die. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3

I think that some people may be confused in their memories of teeth pulling at home when they were growing up.  Baby teeth that were already on their way out naturally were often pulled to relieve the pain and annoyance of the semi-attached tooth flapping around in a child's mouth.   A firmly-attached but injured or infected permanent tooth would be a whole different story, string on a doorknob or otherwise.

• Love 7
A firmly-attached but injured or infected permanent tooth would be a whole different story, string on a doorknob or otherwise.

Plus, there's also the thing that pulling an adult tooth out of an otherwise healthy mouth is a different story too.  Those things are pretty firmly attached in there.  As in "to the actual jawbone".  

But I do think that as long as they had access to antibiotics afterward, there's less risk as long as Philip got it all out of there.  

The agents aren't really supposed to know each other for their own safety, in most cases.  That way if one is blown, they actually can't take down another.  Elizabeth has been wearing her (very obvious) wig around Hans, despite him knowing who she is in terms of being a Soviet spy.  

It would presumably be a little weird when Elizabeth goes to her regular dentist to explain the missing molar, but I guess you just pick a story and commit to it.  "I fell off a horse and hit my jaw on a rock while on vacation in Wyoming.  The local dentist there pulled it for me."  or whatever.  This is pre-internet and pre-free-long distance so it's not like her regular dentist will follow up on that.  

It's the eighties, not the thirties, so Phillip and Elizabeth would presumably go to a dentist regularly as part of their "We live like Americans!" schtick.  

But yeah, the concept that people were routinely pulling adult teeth at home is not actually all that common.  Even back in the old West they had dentists ...they just had scary type opiates for the pain, foot-pedaled drills and...pliers for extractions.  It just hurt like hell.  Dentistry carried a huge risk with it.  Long story short: A biography of a fairly well-known author (Lucy Maud Montgomery) detailed when she had all of her teeth pulled in her early sixties.  Long story, but she had a very crowded mouth and it was causing all kinds of abscess and infection problems so she'd been pestered to do it for years.  She put it off until her children were essentially grown because she was so convinced there was a good chance she would die.  She wasn't entirely wrong in that, but she survived the entire thing just fine even if my entire body cringes in horror at the thought of what that entire procedure would have been like in the twenties.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3

I think that some people may be confused in their memories of teeth pulling at home when they were growing up.  Baby teeth that were already on their way out naturally were often pulled to relieve the pain and annoyance of the semi-attached tooth flapping around in a child's mouth.   A firmly-attached but injured or infected permanent tooth would be a whole different story, string on a doorknob or otherwise.

Yes. A molar (I assume it was or Elizabeth would have a visible missing tooth in her every iteration) with an intact root system does not just jump out even in the hands of a dentist. There's always the danger of breaking off the tooth and leaving the root, which could require surgery to remove. The Phillip as dentist scene is stretch to me, but fits the narrative of spies being resourceful. 

• Love 3

I don't think people areven thinking about pulling a tooth at home as common or easy, just something not so impossible. Apparently the show prepared for the scene with current YouTube videos of people doing this exact thing at home because they have no dental insurance. So it's supposed to be desperate, just not impossible.

I'm not sure if the Martha stuff is about outing Clark or just paralleling the marriages as long as possible but there's a lot of ways to go with it.

• Love 3

My elderly relatives, who were poor, occasionally pulled their own teeth. But they had rotten teeth; maybe they come out more easily than healthy young teeth. My friend who is a dentist in Appalachia says people do pull their own teeth today.

• Love 2