Type keyword(s) to search

S20: Speculation & Confirmed Info!

• Start Topic

They always get some of the celebs leaked a few days before the announcement, so this is nothing new. People will still watch to confirm.

That said, that list of stars is ... just as underwhelming as the pros they chose. And if Jack Nicholson is really doing it? He might be the most overall high profile star to agree, and the only upside to that is that maybe it'll open up the possibility of others agreeing to do it.

If I've been keeping up properly, we've got 2 male pro slots (to be paired with celebrities) and one troupe place (male.)

For those three places, the mostly likely contenders seem to be: 1 Keo (basically confirmed but not clear if w/celeb or troupe); 2 Sasha; 3 Louis; and 4 Tristan.

Which would probably mean one of those four would be out (unless there are 13 celebs.)

And could Maks still be a possibility?

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 1

Now TMZ Sports is reporting that the openly gay football player, Michael Sam (currently not on an active roster) has signed up for DWTS. My guess is (if true), I'd think this means that Russell Wilson is probably out...while Malcom Butler might still be a possibility as a second football player.

One other name starting to float around is 17 year old Bella Thorne (another Disney starlet, who'd be a third Shake it Off alum after Zendaya and Roshon). FWIW, Thorne is a scheduled guest on Kimmel tomorrow night, and he generally is plugged in when the cast is announced.

HollywoodLife is now saying that Roseanne is out for this season at least, and they've added two new names I haven't seen anywhere else. Willow Shields (aka Primrose Everdeen from THG) and Redfoo who legitimately might be a riot. He's a semi-competitive tennis player so I'd think he'd have some athleticism and musicality to work w/. He's also tall, so I wonder who he'd be paired up w/. So in total they also have RFK Jr, Savannah Chrisley, Lalah Hathaway, Chris the Batchelor, Michael Sam, and Rumer Willis. Malcolm Butler and Ross Lynch weren't on their updated list but at least seem like reasonable possibilities. On the ladies side, we definitely could get at least two that completely flew under the radar....

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

I don't know about official leaks but E! Online has hinted at possible names and considering it's E!, I'm guessing they have good sources on the show so the names are probably a very likely possibility. According to them, early names are Roseanne Barr, Bachelor Chris Soules (interesting that the show seems to have no problem casting the Bachelor leads but never the Bachelorettes), Patriots player Malcolm Butler and Robert F. Kennedy. Here's the article:

http://www.eonline.com/news/626846/chris-soules-and-roseanne-barr-to-join-dancing-with-the-stars-get-the-latest

They've had on 1 Bachelorette, so far. Trista Sutter, who was Trista Rehn when she was a Bachelorette, was on the 1st season of DWTS. Otherwise, it's been former Bachelors or the ladies they chose from (none of whom ended up on The Bachelorette after being chosen or rejected by the guy).

I was in the process of typing how awful this season is going to be when it suddenly took a turn for the worse... Surprise... Golden Boy is back after all! And with an obvious ringer.

Otherwise, I know of 4 of these people (Patti,Michael,Rumer, Suzanne).

• Love 2

looks like Whitney's partner is the Bachelor guy speculated about

Good Morning America ‏@GMA  · 2m2 minutes ago 
"Her partner couldn't ROSE so early..." - @Tom_Bergeron gives a hint on @WitneyCarson's @DancingABC partner. Who could it be?! #GMADancing

I wonder how pissed Val is that Derek is back with one of the ringerest ringers to ever ring. That said, I was all set to enjoy a season without the propping up of the Golden Boy — what was supposed to be a "pleasant surprise" damn near made me want to throw my remote at the TV. Might as well start calling him six-time Mirrorball champion Derek Hough.

• Love 8

Stupid show, you promised me no Derek this season, but what do we have? Effing Derek. And I do wish they would lay off the Bachelor alum. At least we don't have any Real Housewives. But poor Witney. Chris Soules seems like a huge smug doofus. 

Otherwise, maybe Redfoo will be fun with Emma? I think as long as he brings the right amount of seriousness to the actual dance and leaves the humor for the rehearsal footage, he might be entertaining.

• Love 2

I am disgusted. Was really excited about no Derek. What a ringer they set him up with. Now all season will be about how amazing he is to travel back and forth. Guess I will keep a bucket nearby this season.

Edited by actionboss
  • Love 5

What a huge stinkin' letdown. I really hoped with the departures of Cheryl, Karina, and (allegedly) Derek we would see more former pros back. We got Kym...and surprise, surprise, here comes Derek. With a young, fit, gymnast. Val is probably seething, because even though he has another young, fit, celeb, I'm thinking Derek will be getting his 6th MBT this season.

The only couple I'm kind of interested in watching is Noah and Sharna. Emma and Redfoo might be fun.

Poor Mark has to dance with a kid half his age. 14-years-old, really TPTB?!

I bet Sasha is the pro who got screwed this time with Derek's return...he totally would have been a great partner for Nastia because she's tiny and he does lot of gymnastics when he dances. At least he gets to stay on the troupe, but would have liked him to have another shot at pro.

• Love 4

I swear I heard the screams of rage in my living room when Robin announced Nastia/Derek. Hell, I like Derek well enough and even I yelled "no..." when Robin mentioned the most winning Pro. I can't...I can't. I like Derek but he really should have taken the season off. This flying back and forth every week just seems like unnecessary drama to me. Yes Nastia is in school in NY so that works for her on that level but Derek will be performing a show.

Like how are you going to come up with choreography, rehearse and perform the Radio City show, then come on Monday night and compete with Nastia, etc. That just really seems like a big headache when simply taking a season off was possible. I will watch but I think I will avoid the boards this season because I already know it's not going to be pretty with this news.

The cast looks okay but my major gripe is with Willow Shields. I'm sure she's a sweet kid but I think it is absolutely ridiculous to have a 14 year old child in the cast. No matter how much this show tries to sell itself as a family show - it's not in my opinion. Every damn Latin dance on this show involves a whole lot of gyrating and I don't know about anyone else but I do not want to see a 14 year old being even a little sexy with an almost 30 year old guy.

I thought the show was pushing it too far with Zendaya at 16, no matter how good she was and this is just unacceptable and I feel bad for Mark.  Yes he did well with Sadie and Shawn but it is bullshit I feel to ask the guy to keep having to create these dances that are super careful because his celebrity is so young. And again FOURTEEN - she's barely a teenager. Just out of pre-teen. 

And yeah I guess Witney is getting the Bachelor, Chris Soules. Man sucks for Witney, especially coming off her winning season. I have watched most of that season, finally gave up a few weeks ago because I just couldn't anymore and I can't think of a duller, less interesting, unappealing guy and to top it off, I'm pretty sure he sucks as a dancer. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6

Well show.  Nothing says 10 years anniversary like...setting up Derek back with another athlete?  BAH.

At least I like this cast a bit more than a few recent ones with Patti, Robert and Willow.  Red Foo is going to be interesting.  The rest is a bunch of "who?" or "meh."

• Love 3

I wonder how pissed Val is that Derek is back with one of the ringerest ringers to ever ring. That said, I was all set to enjoy a season without the propping up of the Golden Boy — what was supposed to be a "pleasant surprise" damn near made me want to throw my remote at the TV. Might as well start calling him six-time Mirrorball champion Derek Hough.

Yes, I wasn't sure if I should complain here or in the Grass Knoll thread about who Derek was paired with. I'm just hoping that maybe Noah Galloway and Sharna Burgess have a good chance of stopping the inevitable coronation of Derek if Galloway is decent at all because of his backstory. 

I know many in the past years have said "Who the hell are these people?", but this year it's REALLY the truth. Who the hell are most of these supposed stars? Yeah, I read their bios on ABC's website, but I say again, who the HELL are they? Of course there are two or three well knowns, but the rest are certainly NOT stars of any recognition.

Of course they have to throw in a big boobed model (I've heard her speak, and let's say that there's no brain surgeon in her future) to supposedly attract the immature male population. And a child is going to dance? Are they serious? How can they allow a child to dance the overtly sexual dances that this show is known for?

I think the Spring Break week will have to involve lots of drinking, wet t-shirt contests and indiscriminate sex. At least that's what MTV shows on their Spring Break shows.

I honestly think it's time to retire this show, as it's obvious they can't attract any well known STARS, only a bunch of MEH.

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 2

I know who about five of these people are. Finding out Rumer Willis is going to be on makes me feel the same way I did the season I found out Snooki was cast: Hell no, not watching. Even though Snooki, or Nicole, did end up surprising me, I don't want to see Rumer. Derek being back doesn't help either, but sadly I'll probably watch at least the first show.

I'm interested to see what Sharna does with Noah Galloway and whether they'll judge him on the Amy Purdy plan. If they're going to do that with physical impairments, they should judge older contestants on a different scale from the younger, more physically fit contestants as well.

Maybe it's me, but I'm surprised by all the talk of the cast being a bunch of "who" because I think this cast is collectively more known than last season's. But again maybe it's just me. The only person I didn't know was the Superbowl ad woman and the war vet but from the little I saw of him, he seems nice enough and he'll have a great story. Patti Labelle and Suzanne Sommers are both legends, Nastia was a very successful Olympian, Willow is in one of the biggest movie franchises, Rumer is the daughter of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, Redfoo had some huge dance hits only a few years ago, Michael Sam was all over the media for the better part of a year, etc.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Well, after all the wailing over Derek/Shawn being "robbed" on All-Stars and Tony being given a "pity trophy" (I completely disagree with this sentiment btw), I guess tptb are going to make it up to their golden boy for the Anniversary season by giving him Nastia. Mark has been trying for years to get Nastia on the show. Schedules finally work out, they get Nastia and give her to Derek and give Mark a 14 year old. Figures. They screwed Mark on All-Stars too. I'm sure Mark will figure out some interesting and entertaining "age appropriate" choreo for Willow, but 14 imo I just too young.

• Love 7

Just chiming in with total frustration that they lied about Derek yet again.  Of course he is back, and of course he has the lean, fit athlete who will be just great.  Lovely.  The other pros must hate him at times, seriously.  

• Love 8

I love Shark Tank so I'm thrilled Robert Herjavec's going to be on! And welcome back, Kym, too!

Wait so Derek and Derek's friggen cousin AND his sister judging? I was kidding when I said they should rename it Derek with the Stars but damn.

• Love 4

Putting the list here, for those who didn't watch the announcement and had to google for it (like me)

• Rumer Willis & Val
  • Redfoo & Emma
  • Patti Labelle & Artem
  • Riker Lynch & Allison
  • Charlotte McKinney & Keo
  • Michael Sam & Peta
  • Willow Shields & Mark
  • Noah Galloway & Sharna
  • Suzanne Somers & Tony
  • Robert Herjavec & Kym
  • Nastia Luiken & Derek
  • Chris Soules & Whitney

I know I'm in the minority here, but eeeeeeeeee! Love Nastia, and I love the idea of her with Derek. Also excited to see Noah and Sharna, and Michael Sam and Peta.

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 1

And people think Meryl was a foregone conclusion? Hand Nastia the trophy now.

I loved her as a gymnast and rooted for her all through the Beijing Olympics, but damn I'm sick that she's paired with Golden Boy. I would have killed to see her with Val.

Here's hoping Maks and Fam come up with some deliciously snarky tweets about this power pairing. :)

• Love 4

Can someone tell me who Charlotte McKinney is? When I Google her I don't even see a Wiki page - just a bunch of pictures of her in her underwear. Is that her thing?

I believe she's this year's model for Carl's Jr. hamburger ads. She's the one walking through an outdoor market "naked" (really she was in her underwear). The ad came out for the Super Bowl.

I know about half of those folks: Michael Sam, Rumor Willis, Suzanne Somers, Nastia Liukin, Redfoo, Patti Labelle.

Not sure if I will tune in.  I didn't tune in last year.  Out of the folks that I know, I am rooting for Michael Sam.

Putting the list here, for those who didn't watch the announcement and had to google for it (like me)

• Rumer Willis & Val
  • Redfoo & Emma
  • Patti Labelle & Artem
  • Riker Lynch & Allison
  • Charlotte McKinney & Keo
  • Michael Sam & Peta
  • Willow Shields & Mark
  • Noah Galloway & Sharna
  • Suzanne Somers & Tony
  • Robert Herjavec & Kym
  • Nastia Luiken & Derek
  • Chris Soules & Whitney

I know I'm in the minority here, but eeeeeeeeee! Love Nastia, and I love the idea of her with Derek. Also excited to see Noah and Sharna, and Michael Sam and Peta.

Ha, my friend was the same. She cracked up when I told her Derek was doing the season after all and when I told her Nastia was his partner she was like "okay that's my winner...sorry Val." She's actually a Val fan but her Nastia love is going to override that this season. I certainly don't think anyone has an issue with Nastia being on but rather who they paired her up with.

And people think Meryl was a foregone conclusion? Hand Nastia the trophy now.

Nope, still think Meryl and Nicole wins for the biggest ringers. 

Here's hoping Maks and Fam come up with some deliciously snarky tweets about this power pairing. :)

I hope not because they'll only make themselves look bad. Coming across petty and childish is never a good look on a bunch of grown ups. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Well. I know he'll have a crazy schedule, but Nastia and Derek look good for the win already, don't they? Would agree that the cast is pretty well known for DWTS standards, they seemed to have really applied themselves to get people a bit "above" their usual standard across the board. Emma gets at least a different kind of celebrity with Redfoo, so that's nice. Rumer and Val could be good dance-wise, I can't really predict what sort of fanbase she'll have, though. Noah and Sharna should be cool.

Agree that Willow is too young. But I don't think "sexy dancing" will be a problem. Except for the adjusted versions of rumba and AT (and there won't be any rumbas and ATs with Willow. At least I hope the producers have that much common sense...though they've surprised me in negative ways numerous times), there wasn't any of that with Sadie either. So Mark will probably go for the "dancing buddies" approach full-time, what else is he gonna do?  Where I think a major problem comes in and where TPTB can't be trusted at all is the ugly, manipulative reality tv aspect of the show. They'll always go for the cheap melodrama and fake conflict and they won't have any mercy on Willow either. They didn't have any on Sadie and IMO you saw that it was getting to her to a degree. It's a lot of stress for someone so young, no matter how poised and no matter that she has experience in show business.

But once they made the (IMO ill-judged) decision to cast her, their best option is Mark. They don't really have much younger male pros (and Keo is probably too tall for her and also inexperienced) and since she's so very young, pairing her with a 20 year old wouldn't make the situation any better anyway. And giving her to a young, inexperienced pro wouldn't be a good idea anyway since there's no way to know if he could adjust teaching and choreo as needed for her. Mark at this point has proven that he has the skill and judgement to perhaps make this work. I'm sure she's nice and she'll probably have some skill and be a good worker, but it's still a lot to ask of him IMO. A major, major challenge. And bad judgement on TPTB's part. But what else is new...

• Love 1

Seeing as Olympians usually have a good record of winning, I'd say Nastia will win, why does it always have to be Derek.  Hopefully this lineup will be more interesting live than on paper, because I'm underwhelmed.  I'd probably root against Riker just because he's related to the Houghs and I'm not a fan of R5.

ETA: I think they just need to announce the celebs and then let us vote who they will be paired with and not just for the one round like before, but for the whole season.

Edited by dizzyd
  • Love 2

Y'all worry about Derek too much. He didn't win last season nor the one before. Amber deserved to win her season with him. We have seen that having an athlete does not guarantee a win, not even for Derek. We've also seen that despite having his sister on the panel last season and having a young, popular partner, he still didn't win. He is creative and entertaining, so I have no complaints that he's back. The most egregious inclusion for me is Allison Holker.

• Love 2
He didn't win last season nor the one before.

And now TPTB plans to make up for that grievous oversight! 

And I think it's hilarious that "he didn't win last season or the season before" is meant to refute the claims that he generally gets favorable treatment. So he went an entire year without hoisting another mirrorball trophy, the horror. I don't know how he coped. 

That said, I'm not sure if Nastia's going to win, mostly because we have a war veteran this season. He should play well as the people's sentimental favorite, unless he ends up having a really loathsome personality. But I'll eat my hat if Nastia doesn't at least end up in the finals. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 8

I love Shark Tank so I'm thrilled Robert Herjavec's going to be on! And welcome back, Kym, too!

Wait so Derek and Derek's friggen cousin AND his sister judging? I was kidding when I said they should rename it Derek with the Stars but damn.

Seeing as Olympians usually have a good record of winning, I'd say Nastia will win, why does it always have to be Derek.  Hopefully this lineup will be more interesting live than on paper, because I'm underwhelmed.  I'd probably root against Riker just because he's related to the Houghs and I'm not a fan of R5.

ETA: I think they just need to announce the celebs and then let us vote who they will be paired with and not just for the one round like before, but for the whole season.

Will they acknowledge that Riker is a Hough cousin on screen? Maybe having Nastia with Derek will take the ringer heat off of him.

Agree that Willow is too young. But I don't think "sexy dancing" will be a problem. Except for the adjusted versions of rumba and AT (and there won't be any rumbas and ATs with Willow. At least I hope the producers have that much common sense...though they've surprised me in negative ways numerous times), there wasn't any of that with Sadie either. So Mark will probably go for the "dancing buddies" approach full-time, what else is he gonna do? 

Sadie had rumba on week 6 and AT on week 10 - TPTB didn't cut her any slack. I wouldn't count on them to apply common sense for Willow. Mark will make them "age appropriate" but I can already hear gasps of horror and pearl clutching. I'd expect Mark will keep along the lines of his Up and Super Mario Bros. choreo and of course something themed to Hunger Games.

Regarding Nastia - does anyone know if she has any actual dance training?  I'm thinking right now of Aly who had all the athleticism, energy, strength, flexibility, etc. but could not hear the beats in the music.

Edited by Uke

From Riker's wikipedia:

Riker and his sister Rydel took piano lessons and competed as partners in dance competitions.

Hmmm... but was it ballroom or Latin? Tell me, Wiki!

of course something themed to Hunger Games.

Oh god, I'm already imagining what sort of inspiration he'll get from the crazy costumes from the movie... 

I've grown to like Mark more over the years and I think it's probably due to all the challenging contestants they've thrown his way. I think he's done the best he could with them, and I assume it will be the same with Willow. But yeah, it's going to be another opportunity for the show to play up the "Ohmygod, she's so young!What about her costumes?! What about the sexy dances?!" It's been done, show. Too many times.

The thing about Derek that annoys me more than anything is the manipulation of the whole reveal situation with him. We're always told (or there are solid rumors) that he's not going to be back, and then at the last minute he swoops in with what is typically a ringer, or at least someone that is going to get him a lot of attention and praise for working with (Amy). Just let it be set on stone that we are stuck with Derek, for better or worse, for as long as this show exists.

• Love 7

"And I think it's hilarious that "he didn't win last season or the season before" is meant to refute the claims that he generally gets favorable treatment. So he went an entire year without hoisting another mirrorball trophy, the horror. I don't know how he coped." Again, you worry too much about Derek's influence. Favorable treatment did not hand him the mirrorball trophy all the seasons he's been on. Just vote for your favorite and focus on all things non-Derek. You'll be surprised how much more enjoyable the show is when you do that.

• Love 3

Ha, my friend was the same. She cracked up when I told her Derek was doing the season after all and when I told her Nastia was his partner she was like "okay that's my winner...sorry Val." She's actually a Val fan but her Nastia love is going to override that this season. I certainly don't think anyone has an issue with Nastia being on but rather who they paired her up with.

Yeah, the unpopular opinion is that I'm a fan of the pairing ;) I think he does really well with driven, competitive, strong women, and I like watching those partnerships. What can I say, I'm a fan. I like his work, how he approaches the show, and how he treats his partners. 

Regarding Nastia - does anyone know if she has any actual dance training?  I'm thinking right now of Aly who had all the athleticism, energy, strength, flexibility, etc. but could not hear the beats in the music.

She says no, but I think if you watch her floor routines, she seems to have some natural rhythm. She always was billed as the more graceful gymnast while Shawn and Aly were more powerhouses. But I'm excited to see! 

• Love 1

I think he does really well with driven, competitive, strong women, and I like watching those partnerships.

I think all the pros do well with driven, competitive, strong partners. But not all pros are consistently gifted with those.

• Love 8
I will watch but I think I will avoid the boards this season because I already know it's not going to be pretty with this news.

Yes.  I'm sure it got nasty right away when Derek was announced.  And with Nastia?  I'm shocked all hell didn't break loose.  But because of this news, I'm going to have to check out the season now, see all the Derek that I can because he is going to kill himself, and avoid the boards because it is not going to be pretty.

Y'all worry about Derek too much. He didn't win last season nor the one before. Amber deserved to win her season with him. We have seen that having an athlete does not guarantee a win, not even for Derek. We've also seen that despite having his sister on the panel last season and having a young, popular partner, he still didn't win. He is creative and entertaining, so I have no complaints that he's back.

Yes.  Totally agree.

"And I think it's hilarious that "he didn't win last season or the season before" is meant to refute the claims that he generally gets favorable treatment. So he went an entire year without hoisting another mirrorball trophy, the horror. I don't know how he coped." Again, you worry too much about Derek's influence. Favorable treatment did not hand him the mirrorball trophy all the seasons he's been on. Just vote for your favorite and focus on all things non-Derek. You'll be surprised how much more enjoyable the show is when you do that.

I don't think anyone is "worried" about Derek's influence.  Very much annoyed yes.  And it is hard to ignore Derek because Derek and the show will not make it easy for anyone to ignore Derek.  We can't forget as stated above it has become a big game of Derek's or someone to make a big to-do about how he is retiring or not coming back, and then oh look-- he came back!  What a shocker!  

• Love 7

I have no problem with Derek as a dancer. He's probably one of my favorites in that regard so I'm always happy to see him dance on this show. But the obvious favoritism on this show does annoy me and always will. And if it annoys me I can only imagine how bothersome it is for people who actually don't like him. Not only are we getting him and his sister but his cousin competing as well this season. I mean come on. To be fair, I felt the same way about Max's brother coming on at first too. As for Riker, I knew it was only a matter of time before a Lynch made it onto this show due to the Hough connection. I just always figured it would be Ross(who also did dance competitions growing up) considering he's the most famous of the Lynchs. He even has his own Disney show and a successful movie franchise with them for the Teen Beach Movie series. I have a feeling Ross probably said no and so we get one of the brothers nobody cares about instead.

• Love 3

I think all the pros do well with driven, competitive, strong partners. But not all pros are consistently gifted with those.

Hey, I get it, it's like being a Yankees fan. I'm not going to try and convince anyone else to like him if they don't. Just saying, not going to deny that I like his work. And comparing "ringeryness" of contestants, current, past, future, hypothetical, gets way tedious, so I'm not going jump in to that. When I heard the pair, my reaction was "Ooh, I like it, looking forward to seeing those dances." And that's as far as I'll go into. 

I also don't think there's any obvious dead weight in this cast, at least not as bad as other seasons. 

• Love 1

I remember everyone thought Hope Solo being an athlete would be a good dancer. She wasn't. Neither was Misty. Gladys Knight moved better than both of these "driven, competitive, strong" women. What I've found is that pros will always do well (not always win) with partners who have rhythym, musicality, and great personalities. No prior dance experience necessary.

Edited by comosedice