Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E15: Reckoning (2)

WendyCR72

It is indeed a very real thing, and a good thing for many folks, just google "face transplant" for many great stories.  Not a thing that could be done  without notice in the time it took to get to Beckett. (ETA:  I'm just repeating what McManda said, whoops).

And now I'm going to have nightmares from that google search.  But that's great technology for some people who need it.

Martha called Castle, "baby".

She called Kate "babe" a few weeks ago, they are both weird.  I wonder if they were scripted or ad libs.

Though I guess Nieman might have been good enough to make it work in Castle's world ... nothing like that exists in the real world.

There are pretty intense photos of real face transplants online if you want to google it. (The wiki page leaves off the graphic photos.)

I've seen at least one of the beneficiaries of the trauma face-transplant interviewed (the lady whose friend's chimpanzee bit much of her face off?), and the one thing that makes such technology a nonsense idea for Nieman is that even months after the procedure (or procedures) have been accomplished, the swelling is still fairly exrreme. I suppose that the Nieman Face Transplant falls into the same bucket in the Castleverse as Cuttlefish Camouflage Suits -- theoretically eventually possible in the real world, after many, many more years of R&D and investment.

The evil Pelant on the show Bones sewed his own disfigured face back together, no matter how implausible and utterly ridiculous that possibility was, so I suppose it could be "possible" for Nieman to do her own surgical tweaks. If the showrunners felt they had to "borrow" from another program, I just wish they wouldn't borrow from the worst, most annoying story ideas. I hated the Pelant plot with a fiery vengeance.

Edited by sinkwriter

I've seen at least one of the beneficiaries of the trauma face-transplant interviewed (the lady whose friend's chimpanzee bit much of her face off?), and the one thing that makes such technology a nonsense idea for Nieman is that even months after the procedure (or procedures) have been accomplished, the swelling is still fairly exrreme. I suppose that the Nieman Face Transplant falls into the same bucket in the Castleverse as Cuttlefish Camouflage Suits -- theoretically eventually possible in the real world, after many, many more years of R&D and investment.

And as I understand it, the chance for rejection in face transplant is huge, even with rejection drugs....which would definitely take away from Ms. Evil's creds as a plastic surgeon, given that her face would look like an ugly grey raisin. Such an action as transplanting Beckett's face to her own, would definitely be its own punishment. Unfortunately Beckett would be collateral damage.

Listening to you guys I'm so much gladder every day that I skipped this arc. Repulsive. Please, 3XK, really be dead. But the whole idea is a little bit a throwback to my favorite cartoon show, Scoobyy Doo, with many scenes including perfectly done masks that looked exactly like the person they were supposed to play, without even the slightest flaw. So it makes me smile, just a little, but in a morbid sort of way.

I see that a new painting is located next to the closet door behind the free standing mirror. It does seem like it's another subtle decor change, so yay ugly seashell collage looks like it's gone from the bedroom.

I hate that bloody thing it's ugly as sin, I hope they haven't put it somewhere else, hopefully she's hidden it away in the top of a cupboard or something  since she can't dump it. 

My favorite moment? Kate getting the standing ovation in the precinct. Just like after her shooting. Except this time Castle at her side and the boys behind her.

The standing ovation was a nice moment but as Lee pointed seeing Kate return after being kidnapped should be just another day at the office for these guys.

Someone noticed later in that particular scene that Castle was rubbing her shoulder too gently just to reassure her it’s all okay. Sweet. It's the little things that count. 

Edited by verdana
I do think it's a bit of a shame, though - if the show goes out of their way to explore Ryan and Espo's dynamic, surely they can find a way to make it work with Kate and Lanie? Like I said, it IS a bit easier to do it with Ryan and Esposito when they work in the same building (all the time) and are partners, but still.

It's about making an effort and they don't bother, SparklesBitch is right she's used as a convenient go to girl for Kate to head off to so she can talk about her problems and that's it and because they never develop the relationship outside that one scenario I don't believe they have a genuine friendship. As a writer it's no good telling me something and expecting me to believe it if I see very little sign that it's true on screen. And that happens a lot on this show that as a short cut they have the characters say something once (or the showrunner mentions it during and interview) and it's like oh well there you go it's true.  That's not enough they need to write regular scenes and weave them into the show as being a normal every day occurrence. 

And yes lets give Kate Beckett a life outside the precinct and the loft! (Castle too for that matter). I'd like proof that these two individuals exist in a world that doesn't just include these two places.

Edited by verdana

I hate that bloody thing it's ugly as sin, I hope they haven't put it somewhere else, hopefully she's hidden it away in the top of a cupboard or something  since she can't dump it. 

Someone noticed later in that particular scene that Castle was rubbing her shoulder too gently just to reassure her it’s all okay. Sweet. It's the little things that count.

It's probably hidden behind Boba Fett if it's still in the bathroom that Alfred still hasn't got to build yet. Castle also rubs Beckett's other shoulder in bed too.

The standing ovation was a nice moment but as Lee pointed seeing Kate return after being kidnapped should be just another day at the office for these guys.

Not really.  The only other time I think you could call her kidnapped is ITBOTB, which was just an undercover op gone bad.  She loses her gun in the field and gets locked in freezers and all, but usually gets it back right away and returns to the precinct without anyone knowing the details.  

Maybe on the weeks we get repeats the twelfth is busy with cases where Karpowski and LT get abducted.

• Love 3

I need to gush some more about that last scene. For me, it's the most intimate scene ever between them. It was all there, the way they looked at each other, the way they touched each other, both totally at ease and at peace. It can't get any better than that. For future episodes, I wish they'd just drop the "heat" (since 4 out of 5 hot scenes make me cringe due to stiltedness)  and stick to this kind of full-blown connection instead. It conveys so much better what's between these two characters. 

Edited by kbs
  • Love 4

I need to gush some more about that last scene. For me, it's the most intimate scene ever between them. It was all there, the way they looked at each other, the way they touched each other, both totally at ease and at peace. It can't get any better than that. For future episodes, I wish they'd just drop the "heat" (since 4 out of 5 hot scenes make me cringe due to stiltedness)  and stick to this kind of full-blown connection instead. It conveys so much better what's between these two characters.

Amen. I have re- watched that scene many times, which I feel a bit silly about, but it is so good. I'll take that tenderness and honesty over any grabby, supposedly sexy making out any day.

• Love 2

Thrilling two-parter and great acting! As much has already been said about the acting and the thrilling and twisty part, I’d like to add that I also appreciated the short moments of humour in between. Alexis cry of outrage “Dad, what the hell?!”  - just after I thought she screamed because Jerry Tyson was near. Or Castle’s undecisive movements after being caught spying out in the woods. Although in retrospect that might have been accidently funny (for me).

Beckett and Nieman gave me Nip/ Tuck flashbacks (crazy Bobolit vs. Troy), and I kept thinking Beckett should tell her that she has to cut off her face first. But then Niemann would probably have fainted, and later on escaped on her way to prison, so that it wouldn’t have been the definite end on the 3XK/Nieman saga.

Castle back in the precinct. I really liked the PI-arc but I’m not as “disappointed” as I thought I would be coming to an end. Mainly because this time the show decided to portray the extracurricular adventures in a more realistic way, as in “Who would ask a novelist turned PI to investigate their private and important affairs? Right, not me!” Anyways, I’m hopeful that they don’t drop it altogether, and his office and his spy-glass make an appearance again.

A vast improvement from last week for me. I liked the quiet nature of Castle & Beckett's reunion when they find her in the surgery suite, but my very favorite scene of the entire episode is the one back at Castle's loft with just the two of them in their bedroom. I enjoyed that one so much because of the deeper emotion in it. And, yes, Beckett should get some therapy after this (what Nieman wanted to do to her is beyond creepy), but of course she won't. And Castle needs some therapy too for how dark he goes (and for things he sees/experiences along the way). Oh well.

I also wondered why didn't we see this TV interview with Beckett during Castle's disappearance in Driven. Whatever the reason, it felt too obviously plot-driven for it to be mentioned for the first time here. 

I know product placements are a reality in TV (and movies), but I still don't like them. Especially when they're too obvious. Meh. 

Amen. I have re- watched that scene many times, which I feel a bit silly about, but it is so good. I'll take that tenderness and honesty over any grabby, supposedly sexy making out any day.

Since I no longer see any deep heat between them as a couple (Murder He Wrote is the last time I remember thinking wow they're hot!) I would rather have more genuine moments like this where they seem thoroughly connected, comfortable and on the same page as a couple than the writers attempting through some rather awkward, overly theatrical grappling to convince me they have a super hot (and kinky) sex life. Because I don't believe it.

That's another reason why I'm glad the Castle PI arc is over, too much concentration on silly grappling rather than the genuinely sultry.   

Edited by verdana

Saw the HD episode stills posted for the episode.  The shot of Castle looking stunned in the warehouse when he thinks Beckett is dead was way brighter in the still than it did on my screen where I could barely make out his facial expression.  Was it as bright as in the still for others here?

Gush away.  I love the scene a lot too.  So tender and loving and intimate, and I just love how there were completely no walls between them.  Although I hope they don't drop the heat in future as I don't think it has to be an either/or.  I would like to see them take a different approach with the heat to see if they can generate a slow, tender, seductive, more adult heat that's closer to the vibe in this scene.  The way they kissed here was lovely even if the intention was to convey intimacy rather than heat.  Authentic emotions coming through really make any scene for me rather than anything that comes off as too manufactured and mannered.

I thought this scene was better than other post-traumatic aftermath scenes we've had, and definitely better than the one at home after Castle's disappearance which wasn't entirely satisfying in terms of hitting all the emotional notes.

Castle back in the precinct. I really liked the PI-arc but I’m not as “disappointed” as I thought I would be coming to an end. Mainly because this time the show decided to portray the extracurricular adventures in a more realistic way, as in “Who would ask a novelist turned PI to investigate their private and important affairs? Right, not me!” Anyways, I’m hopeful that they don’t drop it altogether, and his office and his spy-glass make an appearance again.

Same feelings here.  I really enjoyed the PI arc too but I'm not too sad it's over either.  Always figured it would end with Castle earning back his place through the 3XK arc.  Definitely hope they keep Castle's PI licence in the backpocket in case it comes up handy in the future, like when they need a PI to do some stuff official police can't really do, or when Castle has a soft spot for a client who inadvertently comes his way, or there's a case rife with mystery and intrigue heh.  I hope to see his deerstalker and spyglass from Beckett make an appearance in his home office if not the PI office.

I know product placements are a reality in TV (and movies), but I still don't like them. Especially when they're too obvious. Meh.

Same.  I realise we have to live with them, but it's just annoying when the lingering shots keep lingering!  Ideally, it should look nice, stay classy and understated. The way I prefer wardrobe on the show as well.

Martha's always struck me more as a 'darling' (said dramatically, of course) kind of person.  'Baby' is a bit icky for me.  I hope Castle only sticks to 'pumpkin' for Alexis!  Castle/NF may be heading to 'honey' territory in response to Beckett's 'babe/baby'.  But I could do without pet names altogether!  I thought we might have had a 'Kate' from Castle in this episode.

• Love 1

Martha's always struck me more as a 'darling' (said dramatically, of course) kind of person.  'Baby' is a bit icky for me.

I actually didn't mind the change because I feel like the 'darling' is more formal and dramatic, and this moment was very much not that for the two of them. After Castle having gone missing and presumed dead, I imagine Martha might see this moment as another potential time that Castle could very well be killed. She's seen the aftermath of 3xK's work in the past, she knows this time is very very serious, enough that any of them could have been killed, and she and Alexis might go away only to never see Castle again (if things go badly). So for her to slip up from her usual dramatic persona and instead use a term of endearment that's more personal (he is her baby, after all), I didn't mind it. I felt like it was unusual but fitting for the scariness of the situation. She didn't want to lose her baby again, she wants him to stay safe.

• Love 2

sinkwriter, I see your point.  One of the things I love about Martha and Susan Sullivan's portrayal of her is her ability to flow seamlessly between her more dramatic persona and her more grounded self in serious moments.  The scene with Martha and Alexis and Castle was short and they didn't have a lot to work with, but that feeling of love and concern and family always comes through in their scenes.

• Love 2
Castle/NF may be heading to 'honey' territory in response to Beckett's 'babe/baby'.  But I could do without pet names altogether! 

I didn't think they were the type for pet names, and since they often use last names, Rick/Kate work for that type of thing.  But Kate's "babe" has grown on me, it sounds more natural than when she calls him Rick.

He calls her honey?

He called her honey in the Western/Honeymoon episode ("honey, its our honeymoon") and then in one of the PI ep's he said "have a good day at work, honey." It sounded weird at the time actually, but he used a lot of pet names during the PI arc.

• Love 1

So I finished rewatching for my transcribing (shh... it's my secret, non-paid job) and I have questions that I don't think we ever answered.

1 - who physically took Beckett? We know it was Tyson and Nieman; Nieman wanted her face and Tyson wanted to make Castle watch her die, but who actually took her from the street? Both Nieman and Tyson were in the precinct. Are we supposed to believe it was Amy Barrett? (Ryan and Espo do pass her off when they get back to the precinct after they save Beckett, so she's not still in Castle's trunk.) I'm not sure I believe that. Amy was pretty little (I guess that's partly why they drugged Beckett?), and I also don't understand her motives. She must have known Tyson was with Nieman, so it's not like he was playing the boyfriend angle. (Amy even says if "they" find out she [Amy] is missing "they'll" kill them both [both Beckett and Castle].) What allegiance does she have to act as bait and/or an accomplice?

2 - what happened to the real Michael Boudreau? There was enough on him that Ryan/Espo/Beckett could look into him and they even had a real DMV photo, so it's unlikely that he was a character Tyson created. Did Tyson kill him and assume his life? If so, how did no one notice he was missing? Did he just mysteriously happen to be out of town for awhile with no explanation? Did Tyson steal his identity (Boudreau was from Iowa) and the real Michael Boudreau is fine and living a normal life in the Midwest, unaware a serial killer is using his life? Why was no one concerned about this, especially after they realized that the man claiming to be Michael Boudreau was really Jerry Tyson playing mind games?

... I think this means that I've been over this episode too many times. My brain is mushy now. I mean, I'm not really concerned (so a lesson not to look too closely?) and I guess I don't really need these answers, but it's just things I wondered about as I rewatched.

1 - who physically took Beckett? We know it was Tyson and Nieman; Nieman wanted her face and Tyson wanted to make Castle watch her die, but who actually took her from the street? Both Nieman and Tyson were in the precinct. Are we supposed to believe it was Amy Barrett? (Ryan and Espo do pass her off when they get back to the precinct after they save Beckett, so she's not still in Castle's trunk.) I'm not sure I believe that. Amy was pretty little (I guess that's partly why they drugged Beckett?), and I also don't understand her motives.

I assumed that it was Amy, since we didn't meet any other random people helping them out.  But since Neiman and Tyson seem to be able to get others to do whatever they want (steal files from the police, get plastic surgery to look like other people) I guess there could have been someone else.  Maybe even someone who got away?  Or maybe that woman that Castle thought was Beckett getting shot helped Amy? In terms of motivation, I think Tyson/Neiman must have the same powers of persuasion as the villain on The Following.  

2 - what happened to the real Michael Boudreau? There was enough on him that Ryan/Espo/Beckett could look into him and they even had a real DMV photo, so it's unlikely that he was a character Tyson created. Did Tyson kill him and assume his life? If so, how did no one notice he was missing? 

I'm guessing Tyson killed him and assumed his identity, and he probably picked someone who wouldn't get missed.  

I feel like I should know the answer to this question but it's escaping me at the moment, so if anyone here knows... has Beckett killed anyone either as a police officer or in self defence before, and if so, when and whom?  Thanks! 

Castle hasn't killed anyone yet, right?  (And I hope he doesn't have to.)

I feel like I should know the answer to this question but it's escaping me at the moment, so if anyone here knows... has Beckett killed anyone either as a police officer or in self defence before, and if so, when and whom?  Thanks! 

Castle hasn't killed anyone yet, right?  (And I hope he doesn't have to.)

Well, there is Dick Coonan, but I can't remember anyone else besides him. Don't think anything has been mentioned from pre season 1, either. 

Now that Tyson is alive, Castle hasn't killed anyone yet. 

...But if Neimen wanted to look like Beckett wouldn't she just mold herself and not actually slice off Beckett's face? I mean, it was creepy and all, but a face transplant isn't an actual thing is it?...

Maybe because the writers, actors, director, camera guy, and everyone did a great job, I was afraid Neiman was going to slice off Beckett's face, even though I knew that IRL she could not realistically walk away looking like Beckett by replacing her own that way (as we know from the few real face transplant patients' results). They did have Neiman scan Beckett's face with a device that seemed to be taking a 3D image of it (the dayglo green grid), which might work if Neiman had a very skilled surgeon friend--more skilled than any currently working in Hollywood. Removing Beckett's face might serve to prevent future identification of her body, or it could just be done to be evil. Castle plots often stretch credibility, but they do manage to take a lot of us along for the ride, even if we know better.

Or maybe they miraculously recovered and their testimony is what cleared Beckett and put Bracken away?

Sadly this is as likely an explanation as any other since we have nothing in canon to tell us what happened. It's actually surprising how many things they leave unexplained when you think about it.

Sometimes watching Castle I am reminded about something that happened in Spider-man comics. Peter Parker made a deal with Mephisto who is basically the devil. To save his aunt May he gave up his marriage to Mary Jane (they made it like it never happened). Of course there was a huge uproar in the fan base & all kinds of questions. The writers response was "Hey, its magic. We don't have to explain it".

Edited by oberon55
  • Love 2

No, I'm pretty sure she killed those guys in Veritas. I mean, she shoots the one guy in the face and he falls onto the ground, and then she shoots him a few more times. You don't do that if you're just looking to incapacitate. The other guy got two shots to the chest, so I also doubt he lived.

And no arguments on Dick Coonan.

Those might be the only other 3, though. I can't think of anyone at the moment. She's shot others before, but I don't think they died (like Kitty Canary from the S3 premiere).

No, I'm pretty sure she killed those guys in Veritas. I mean, she shoots the one guy in the face and he falls onto the ground, and then she shoots him a few more times. You don't do that if you're just looking to incapacitate. The other guy got two shots to the chest, so I also doubt he lived.

I am pretty sure she killed them too, I was just joking because like oberon55 said, they didn't ever explain what evidence they found to clear Bracken.  That tape was damaging, but not lock him up for good damaging.

I can't think of anyone else she killed, unless you count Maddox, who died while she was three, but not at her direct hand.  Did that guy who was stalking Bracken in Recoil die?  Or anyone in the drama-heavy two-parters?

I don't count Maddox - Beckett didn't kill him. If anyone killed him it was Smith, but even then that's a stretch.

Others have died in 2-parters, like Sophia (in S4) or the economist (also S4), but not by Beckett. A bunch of French mobsters died while Castle was in the woods (in S5), but that was Castle's dad, not Castle.

I'm actually surprised there haven't been more, given the amount of life threatening situations they've been in. But again, Beckett doesn't usually shoot to kill, and that's probably a good thing.

What about Lockwood guys from Knockdown? The outside guy was knocked out and Castle beat up Lockwood but we don't know what happened to the other guys inside. Were they killed or injured by Beckett?

I just checked. She shot one in the left shoulder and the other in the right shoulder. The latter is kind of hard to tell where she actually got him because he just falls backwards.

Edited by Nadine

I'm not sure I believe that. Amy was pretty little (I guess that's partly why they drugged Beckett?), and I also don't understand her motives. She must have known Tyson was with Nieman, so it's not like he was playing the boyfriend angle. (Amy even says if "they" find out she [Amy] is missing "they'll" kill them both [both Beckett and Castle].) What allegiance does she have to act as bait and/or an accomplice?

Because it's Tyson and Nieman. They tell you to do something and you magically do it. They can replace baby teeth in a trailer home. Have a run down mansion outside of the city and have a private wi-fi signal. They can make DMV picture disappear, walk into police precincts and steal hundreds of files and their motivations: "Its the thrill and I'm trying to get back at my mother, who is really dead but the woman who tried to keep me going, I just hate her." 

Like with Spider-Man's deal with  Mephisto: "It's magic, get over it and accept it."

• Love 1

What I loved about this episode:

• Gates was awesome at getting Castle on track.
  • The look on Beckett's face as she got her hand free and the music came up. Wonderful scene.
  • The killer and his weird surgeon are dead so the conclusion is really the conclusion.
  • Ryan and Esposito are the backup team supreme. The shot through the window was great.
  • Love 1

The surgeon we can be pretty sure of but Tyson could still have been a look a like follower. All they have is him saying he was Tyson & since they have no way to definitively prove it was him it is more or less the same thing as when he went off the bridge. Maybe he's dead & maybe he's not.

I'm actually surprised there haven't been more, given the amount of life threatening situations they've been in. But again, Beckett doesn't usually shoot to kill, and that's probably a good thing.

I'm pleased that in the seven years it's been going, Beckett (and Castle) don't have a higher body count to their name (especially Beckett). She's meant to be a cop upholding the law to try and protect and serve her community, not a one woman killing machine which on some shows they might have been tempted to go for to add an extra layer to the badassery in dramatic situations.

Thanks to everyone who reminded me who had died at the hands of Beckett.  How could I have forgot about Coonan?!  Glad the tally wasn't higher.  Don't want these characters burdened with the taking of life, even when it may be justified.  

So, basically Castle beats up a suspect and... that allows him to work with the police again!? That's about as believable as plastic surgery being able to make anyone look like somebody else. Or serial killers who have limitless people they can convince to do anything and with perfect foresight for what the cops will do. Though I did like Castle actually getting the drop on 3XK by NOT doing the "Obviously Dumb Thing" that it looked like he was doing, so TPTB get props for that.

Incidentally, WTF was the evil Doctor trying to do? It looked like she was trying to perform (presumably unanaesthetised) surgery on Beckett to make her look like Dr Neiman and then kill her. But even if that could work (which it totally couldn't, but whatever) wouldn't it be pretty obvious to 3XK that it WASN'T Neiman on the table. And presumably if it was a misdirection for the cops, they'd have Lainie autopsy the body to reveal it was in fact Kate. So was it just for the sake of torturing Kate?

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2015 at 4:24 AM, merylinkid said:

"oops we made the killer so much smarter than Beckett and Castle, while dumbing our intrepid heroes down, now what do we do?"   "Let's just say it was a plan all along to get caught by the bad guys."    Because, you know, the bad guys will wait for the plan to work before killing anyone, etc.   It will all work out perfectly although ti depends on others behaving in the right way

Well, Team Evil probably felt that everything had gone their way last week so they had to let everything go the cops way this week. It would only be fair!

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2015 at 4:02 AM, McManda said:

Michael Mosley makes a great serial killer.

While the plot was utterly ridiculous, both halves of Team Evil were delightfully creepy.