Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E15: Reckoning (2)

WendyCR72

In the second installment of the Castle two-parter, stakes rise as the 12th Precinct matches wits with serial killers Jerry Tyson (3XK) and Dr. Kelly Nieman. With the clock ticking, Castle and the team must crack the case before the killers claim their next victim.

This is sort of stream-of-consciousness, so I apologize.

My number one complaint is that they use literal darkness when things become dark in theme. I hate, hate, hate that. *sigh* Also, shaky cam? Come on, this isn't a Paul Greengrass movie.

But holy - intense Castle is intense. I honestly thought they were going to have him pull that trigger each time. Geez. I spent most of the episode thinking (and maybe out loud, too): "oh my God, Castle...."

Michael Mosley makes a great serial killer. (To be fair, he also makes a great boy-next-door good guy, too.) I didn't know whether to believe he was Michael Boudreau and just when they had me convinced he was an innocent guy that made a stupid decision to look like a serial killer he'd give this look and I'd be all "no, he is Jerry Tyson!!! Castle's right".

I'm a little surprised at Castle's intensity. He wasn't even this dark when his daughter was kidnapped, but I guess it sort of makes sense because most of that time he didn't realize it was personal. Not only this time is his wife missing, he knows it's because he's being targeted.

I also don't really like when Castle (the show) gets violent and bloody, so that not-Beckett murder was rough. Unnecessary? But I cannot imagine being in Castle's shoes and thinking that my wife had just been brutally murdered by being shot in the head multiple times while I watched. (And morbidly, all I could think was Lanie's advice about the best way to die: to have a bullet to the head take you out).

Marcus Gates?! That was actually a nice surprise. I wasn't expecting that.

But in the end I'm actually a little sad that Tyson is gone. Is that weird? I'm less sure how I feel about Beckett ... slaying Nieman with a scalpel. That's something I didn't expect.

I sort of like Ryan and Espo in ESU gear. I don't know.

Annnnd ... he's back in the precinct. Yay. I hope he keeps up the PI stuff on the side, though. I also really liked Beckett's reaction to finding out they're letting Castle back. She looked so young. And does this mean Gates is on Castle's side now? She's seen firsthand how helpful and devoted he is.

Also, next week looks hilarious. A nice change from this week, because this week was a heart attack.

• Love 1

Wow. Both Castle and Beckett should be in therapy not goofing around in space suits next week after this but I guess from the promo they're going to be fine. LOL.

I preferred the quieter more understated moments from Fillion whilst he frantically searches for his wife like at the start when he first realises she's been taken and when he's trying to figure things out than the over obvious emotional outpourings of despair and anger.

I could have done without the clunky exposition at times explaining the obvious I realise why Nieman and Tyson were in the precinct so they could avoid suspicion, things like that to me don't need explanation. 

Gates was great. Determined, proactive yet sympathetic. Wish we saw more of her.

The Beckett interview with the press felt kind of forced in there for the plot, why couldn't we have seen that in Driven when I really needed to see something from the family as to how they coped? 

So wearing a beanie is enough to disguise you? And this may be a very unpopular opinion but that confrontation scene between Castle and Tyson didn't do anything for much for me I didn't buy into it and Fillion was hampered by the most cheesy clunky dialogue imaginable. I was more impressed by Boudreau/Tyson's performance especially at the end Mosley looked genuinely chilling then.

That's one way to get a freebie trip to Europe, nice one for Martha and Alexis - they can thank 3XK and the always easily accessible loft that raised a laugh.

It was obvious that body in the chair was not going to be Kate, I never doubted it. Thankfully the teary stuff from Castle wasn't too bad.

30 minutes in and FINALLY we see a glimpse of Kate! Then she's gone again.

Clever!Castle going back to ask Gates but I could have done without the exposition explaining what had happened before to the audience when both parties sitting there know this stuff already.

Nathan has such long and beautiful eyelashes. I saw this in the middle of the episode on tumblr and laughed.

Awkward product placement alert! "Castle's Buick" and all that trunk space...I must rush out and get one. Urgh.

Edited by verdana

Watching that episode with commercials popping up every freaking 10 minutes WAS TORTURE!

I like the episode a lot. Too sad Tyson is gone for good but with every uber serial killer, it was time.

Nathan nailed it big time. So intense and angry.

Playing little mind games like Patrick Jane

• Love 1

43 minutes in and we finally have a longer scene with Beckett. But seriously there's Not Enough Beckett, Stana really did get a rest this week.

I have a paranoia about having to undergo surgery at any point so I felt physically ill during all those scenes where Nieman is talking to Beckett and started getting those knives out, that was more tense for me than anything else they had going on.

I'm no gun expert but Tyson gets shot with what surely must be a high powered velocity rifle that a sniper would use yet he has time to turn around, stare and then slowly fall to the ground. That made me laugh.

The reunion was low key but fitting although I think Lanie and Gates got better hugs later heh. Again it was kind of dark and bit too quick, if I hadn't got the scene at the end I admit I'd be pretty disappointed. 

Castle's return to the precinct doing community service felt weak as hell and awkwardly shoehorned in there but then the reason he got excluded was too. Meh

The end scene was better emotionally, Marlowe gets their signature "Always" in too. What I liked about it was that they had a straightforward heartfelt conversation and expressed their feelings which doesn't happen that often. It was a tender, quiet, honest moment between them. 

Marlowe had the balls to kill Nieman and 3XK off - thank God but I'm going to miss Nieman especially though AW was as creepy as hell. Mosley did great work too.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

Best two parter ever? You bet it was for this fan!!!

This was the Castle we were all spoiled for in the beginning of the series. Kudos to cast and crew for finally finishing the best arc of the series in style.

Tyson and Nieman had it coming to them. Nieman would have cut Beckett up if Beckett hadn't got the drop on her. She got what she deserved. 

Castle maned up big time. I've waited for it forever it seem like.

• Love 1

My God, Michael Mosley and Annie Wersching are deliciously creepy.

I was on the edge of my seat and talking to the characters the whole time.

I didn't know whether to believe he was Michael Boudreau and just when they had me convinced he was an innocent guy that made a stupid decision to look like a serial killer he'd give this look and I'd be all "no, he is Jerry Tyson!!! Castle's right".

Me too! That look he gave Castle just as the cops burst in the apartment and yelled for Castle to drop his weapon was chilling. Damn. As much as I wanted Castle to beat the crap out of him though, I was uncomfortable with Castle getting that ruthless and dark. At one point I was advising him that getting Beckett back wouldn't do him much good if he was in prison for murdering Tyson.

Loved Beckett saving herself, but didn't see the murder by scalpel coming. The whole reunion at the 12th was very sweet, and Gates is quickly becoming my new favorite person.

I also really liked Beckett's reaction to finding out they're letting Castle back. She looked so young.

I thought this too. I think it was the combination of the huge toothy smile and having her hair pulled back and messy. She looked more natural somehow....which is weird because I'm sure she had just as much makeup on as usual. And the sweats probably added to it too...she wasn't all stylish!cop for a change. After her being in so much peril, I almost felt guilty for shallowly thinking about how damn cute she was.

Lastly, I got way too much of a kick out of Alexis' outraged "what the hell, dad?!" when the cops came to the loft to save her and Martha. It was a nice bit of levity in all the crazy tension.

Loved the heartfelt talk between Beckett and Castle at the end. Look, they actually discuss their feelings! Yay! =)

Next week looks like a ton of fun. Can't wait!

Edited by SparklesBitch
  • Love 3

Underwhelmed.   Really.   We knew Kate wouldn't die.   But then she suddenly had strength to kill psycho doc.   After all that screaming, you had to wonder if she was faking it as part of the "plan."   And "the plan" was so clearly a writer's ass pull to get them out of the corner they wrote themselves into.   "oops we made the killer so much smarter than Beckett and Castle, while dumbing our intrepid heros down, now what do we do?"   "Let's just say it was a plan all along to get caught by the bad guys."    Because, you know, the bad guys will wait for the plan to work before killing anyone, etc.   It will all work out perfectly although ti depends on others behaving in the right way.   

I really do prefer light and fluffy Castle.   They do so much better.

Playing little mind games like Patrick Jane

Looking back now, it should have been obvious that Ryan and Espo were in on his plan, because who else would he be side-mumbling to? But at the time my brain was on overload of emotion so I didn't catch that.

I was more impressed by Boudreau/Tyson's performance especially at the end Mosley looked genuinely chilling then.

Moments like that one were when I'd think "no, Castle's right, he's Tyson!!!", but then just as quickly he'd turn back into Michael Boudreau and I'd be all sorts of confused. That was a nice little mind manipulation and I give a lot of credit to MM for that.

I'm no gun expert but Tyson gets shot with what surely must be a high powered velocity rifle that a sniper would use yet he has time to turn around, stare and then slowly fall to the ground. That made me laugh.

Second time Espo's saved Beckett with his sniper skills. I laughed at this tweet from Jon:

“@GladiatorSharon: seriously did u all make sure he was REALLY dead? @NathanFillion @seamusdever”

Yes...when I shot him thru the heart.

• Love 1

That was intense.  I thought it was good, and my attention was completely on it the whole episode.  Normally that doesn't happen when Castle/Beckett are apart. 

I'm also really glad Castle was able to outsmart Tyson, even if it is only because Tyson had that supervillian problem of wasting time explaining their evil scheme.

Was Neiman planning to perform surgery to look like Beckett or was she going to slice off her face and stick it on over hers (like some John Travolta movie and/or a Simpson's episode)? She was creepy either way.

I'm a little surprised at Castle's intensity. He wasn't even this dark when his daughter was kidnapped

One difference I thought of is that when Alexis was kidnapped, Beckett was right there next to him the whole time, supporting him and keeping him calm.  It reminds me of a deleted scene from ITBOTB where he told Gates that as long as they're together he thinks things will be okay. But with Beckett gone, he has no anchor.

I kind of wish they had kept Neimen alive.  

Castle's return to the precinct doing community service felt weak as hell and awkwardly shoehorned in there but then the reason he got excluded was too. Meh

He was pretty much solely responsibly for killing a insane serial killer which the DA will probably take credit for, so it worked for me.  But I really wanted him back at the precinct so I would accept pretty much anything.  I do hope he doesn't totally lose the PI business though.  That could help switch things up a bit down the line.

• Love 3

For all that the cat-and-mouse (or cats-and-mice) was well done, I had a rather bizarre reaction to this episode. I don't usually watch horror, either on the big or small screen, because I become hyper-aware of how my emotional strings are being yanked and I resent the hell out of it, so that the awareness of emotional manipulation distracts me from what I'm supposed to feel.

However, I did like the fakeout of the 12th precinct team being in on Castle's hunt, and I particularly appreciated whatever eerie charge that was conveyed only by the eyes and some subtle shift of muscles when Beckett turned the tables (or rather, the table literally) on Nieman.

• Love 1

For all that the cat-and-mouse (or cats-and-mice) was well done, I had a rather bizarre reaction to this episode. I don't usually watch horror, either on the big or small screen, because I become hyper-aware of how my emotional strings are being yanked and I resent the hell out of it, so that the awareness of emotional manipulation distracts me from what I'm supposed to feel.

I sort of feel the same way, but not because I feel like I'm being manipulated, I don't think. But I don't like intense things when I've invested in them and I don't know the ending. That was by biggest peeve with this episode, even knowing that everything was going to be fine in the end. It's weird and because of it, I don't really know if I liked this one or not. Right now I like parts, but I'm not sure I'll like the sum, especially tomorrow ... or in a week, or in a year or when/if I rewatch this one.

It was a good emotional ride, I just don't know if it's one I'll pull out to watch down the road, you know?

• Love 1
Looking back now, it should have been obvious that Ryan and Espo were in on his plan, because who else would he be side-mumbling to? But at the time my brain was on overload of emotion so I didn't catch that.

When I first saw that scene, I was like, is he talking to himself? Is this Castle's version of a voice over? Heh.  But what were Espo and Ryan doing in the back of the room then anyway?

After all that screaming, you had to wonder if she was faking it as part of the "plan."

When was Beckett screaming?  I seriously don't remember that, did I black out and miss a scene?

I'm gonna miss Tyson/3XK and Michael Mosley! Michael is quiet, subdued -- yet terrifying and chilling. 

Beckett killed that bitch dead, didn't she? Her reaction afterwards was so realistic. Shock. 

Nathan gave a good performance as well. As stated above I enjoy his quiet moments of internal struggle that you can see alll on his face, 

Best two parter ever? You bet it was for this fan!!!

I so wanted to be blown away by this second part. I wish I could agree with those who say this two parter was the best one out of the entire series but sorry I can't, especially when your female is missing for such a large chunk of time. In concentrating mostly on Castle's and the boys frantic chase to find her, there just wasn't enough coming from Beckett's POV throughout this episode to maintain my interest and make this as enjoyable and thrilling as it could have been.  Also the dialogue at times was predictable and there was some clunky exposition where they explained things they didn't need to because they assume the audience has no retentive memory. The only bit I found genuinely surprising was him to going to Gates for info and wondering for a time if he had been that stupid and got caught out again by 3XK in the house. 

I agree with merylinkid Castle does light and fluffy better but I suspect Marlowe and Bowman fancy themselves as big TV drama merchants. The episode next week is more their bag and where they seem more comfortable. 

When was Beckett screaming?  I seriously don't remember that, did I black out and miss a scene?

Yeah, I'm confused about that comment, too. I don't remember screaming, so I don't understand the idea of a plan.

PS: Kept saying, "Hope Castle cleaned Beckett's ring before putting it back on her finger!!!". Unless that wasn't really Beckett's wedding band on that poor dead girl's finger? That scene though? Can't imagine going through that! Tyson's mind fuck's were epic and creepy. With Tyson, and Nieman, dead ... another arc wraps up. 

I'm gonna miss Tyson/3XK and Michael Mosley! Michael is quiet, subdued -- yet terrifying and chilling. 

Beckett killed that bitch dead, didn't she? Her reaction afterwards was so realistic. Shock. 

Nathan gave a good performance as well. As stated above I enjoy his quiet moments of internal struggle that you can see alll on his face, 

Yeah his internal struggle at times was far more affecting emotionally, well played Nathan.  That's the serious Dark!Castle I enjoy.

I like him being allowed to be smart too as it happens so rarely.

When he pulled the gun out at Tyson it felt ridiculous and unbelievable. First off - logic - if you kill the guy Castle you can't find your wife and if you know he's Tyson then you'll figure he won't be freaked out by your threat to shoot and saying "where's my wife or I'll shoot!" endlessly isn't going to make him break. Seriously how much effort did Marlowe spend on thinking up those lines...like two minutes? Jesus.

And secondly I couldn't get into the scene on an emotional level, it was like where did this guy come from? Unfortunately, they've played up this bumbling harmless doofus persona (who can't handle a gun properly) for so long now that seeing this switch to your standard action movie badass, take no prisoners guy suddenly feels off who is now very comfortable holding a gun and pointing it at everyone. It just didn't feel right for some reason despite evidence in the past he's capable of going to dark places (and extreme lengths) to protect those he loves as he did when trying to find Alexis.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

My God, Michael Mosley and Annie Wersching are deliciously creepy.

They were both morbid and creepifyin'.

Was I the only one who thought maybe Nieman had enough time to slice off Beckett's face and switch places with her before Castle and the cavalry broke in? I mean, there'd have to be visible sutures or something, right? I'm being totally irrational, I know ... but I kept looking for signs in the epilogue that Beckett wasn't really Beckett. Gaaaaah. (But just how was Doctor Creepifyin' planning on performing the Beckett-lift on herself, anyway? shapeshifter, I don't think it's a silly question.)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 5

Well, that was better than last week - less plot holes, definitely.

I know we were dealing with serial killers, but this hour seemed especially bloody and violent for Castle's usual faire.  The Not!Beckett headshots, aftermath of Beckett's scalpel job on Nieman, Castle's beating Tyson up then the demands & nearly shooting Tyson, Castle wanting to beat the crap out of him before Ryan stepped in, etc.

I don't know where this puts me within the fandom, but I like these darker/more intense episodes.  Especially as a 'break' from the usual light-hearted or usual cases.

Wish Tyson/Nieman weren't dead.   I liked what that arc brought, especially for the Castle character.  But maybe with that conclusion, we can move on to the that one little thing that happened, at the very end of last season and very beginning of this one... what was it again/??  Oh yeah!  Castle's 3 month disappearance that he has absolutely no recollection of.  Seems like its slipped the writers/tptb's 'recollection' too.

And to show how behind the times and not-rich I am, when the wi-fi finder popped up /w 'Castle's Buick Wi-Fi', I was all like, "How convenient....... wait a minute, that's really a thing?!  A personal car has a built-in router!?"

Yeah, I'm confused about that comment, too. I don't remember screaming, so I don't understand the idea of a plan.

I'm pretty sure the only "screaming" came from the faked recording of Beckett, right? From what I remember, she was gagged for most of the episode.

I'm being totally irrational, I know ... but I kept looking for signs in the epilogue that Beckett wasn't really Beckett. Gaaaaah.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this for a hot minute....=)

Edited by SparklesBitch
  • Love 1

Beckett's my girl. Believe it.

I loved this two parter mainly because they finally cleared up the best arc of the series in style. Michael Mosley and Annie Wersching were great !!! 

We knew all along that this season was going to be Nathan heavy. He did a great job with this arc. 

I love the drama shows. Castle and Beckett really deliver in these. 

• Love 1
I would have liked to have heard Castle et al. give Beckett credit for taking out the evil plastic surgeon by herself.

Yeah, me too. I was really glad she wasn't some damsal in distress who had to get rescued, but also really glad they let Castle be part of taking down Tyson.

And I guess they turned off that live feed of Beckett before she took down Neimen.  Otherwise they wouldn't have had to rush in there like that.

Silly question: How was the surgeon lady going to perform extensive surgery on herself?

She's an evil genius, she can do anything.  Don't question it.  Just like we shouldn't question how Tyson got to his old cell mate to get him to feed info to Castle.  Or how they convinced that Amy girl to be their lackey.

• Love 2

PS: Kept saying, "Hope Castle cleaned Beckett's ring before putting it back on her finger!!!". Unless that wasn't really Beckett's wedding band on that poor dead girl's finger? That scene though? Can't imagine going through that! Tyson's mind fuck's were epic and creepy. With Tyson, and Nieman, dead ... another arc wraps up. 

That's what gets me about all this though, sure it's dramatic and emotional at the time but then it's brushed under the rug, you said it - another arc wraps up. Too many times over the last few seasons the writers have put Castle and Beckett in extreme danger without any signs of it mattering in the general scheme of things and that doesn't appear as if it's going to change any time soon.

Castle's disappearance and subsequent amnesia not being dealt with is utterly ridiculous, Beckett's torture at the hands of Vulcan Simmons and now coming through yet more torture (this time psychological) with little long term mental trauma is equally silly.  That scene at the end though signalled this has now been dealt with by the writers and we can all move on, even if they had a scene next week where Kate mentions she's going to see a psychiatrist or Castle wakes up in a cold sweat at night panicking because she's not there beside him would be better than nothing. But alas I doubt very much I'll get to see that.

Edited by verdana
Was I the only one who thought maybe Nieman had enough time to slice off Beckett's face and switch places with her before Castle and the cavalry broke in? I mean, there'd have to be visible sutures or something, right?

I thought of that too, but there's no way

And to show how behind the times and not-rich I am, when the wi-fi finder popped up /w 'Castle's Buick Wi-Fi', I was all like, "How convenient....... wait a minute, that's really a thing?!  A personal car has a built-in router!?"

Yeah, it's a thing.  I got a new car a couple months ago and was all excited that it had blue tooth.  Then someone asked me if I had wi-fi in it and I got all disapointed because I had to say no.  Not that I could ever use wi-fi while I'm driving so I don't get the point of that.

if they had a scene next week where Kate mentions she's going to see a psychiatrist or Castle wakes up in a cold sweat at night panicking because she's not there beside him would be better than nothing. But alas I doubt very much I'll get to see that.

I'm pretty sure cops have to see a shrink if they kill someone in the line of duty, but I'm sure that will happen offscreen.

• Love 1

Was I the only one who thought maybe Nieman had enough time to slice off Beckett's face and switch places with her before Castle and the cavalry broke in? I mean, there'd have to be visible sutures or something, right? I'm being totally irrational, I know ... but I kept looking for signs in the epilogue that Beckett wasn't really Beckett. Gaaaaah. (But just how was Doctor Creepifyin' planning on performing the Beckett-lift on herself, anyway? shapeshifter, I don't think it's a silly question.)

No, I thought the same thing. Even though there's no possible way for Beckett to actually be a Beckett-clone, I kept thinking "omg, what if they go there? that would be awful!!!"

That scene at the end though signalled this has now been dealt with by the writers and we can all move on, even if they had a scene next week where Kate mentions she's going to see a psychiatrist or Castle wakes up in a cold sweat at night panicking because she's not there beside him would be better than nothing. But alas I doubt very much I'll get to see that.

While I doubt we'll get to see any of her emotional healing, I don't think the end scene signaled it was dealt with and Beckett is going to move on. She just killed a woman with a scalpel after being drugged and abducted. That's going to take more than a pep talk from her husband to get through. But I think all we, the audience, need to know is that Castle is supportive of her actions and will be there to help her through it, even though she's just displayed this brutal, horrifying side to her that she's never had to before. And I think it also showed nicely that while she thought that was something she was going to have to deal with herself, she realized that she didn't have to and maybe didn't want to, because she was willing to let him be there for her.

Not to product place more, but yeah, wifi-hotspot cars are the new tech thing. Buick is just one company doing it. GM is also doing it, and I'd assume the other car companies won't be far behind.

• Love 3

Very happy with the conclusion but yeah, you could see that the writers, especially Marlow realized it was time to put Tyson and Nieman to rest. It was very satisfying, especially Tyson's face when he turned around and realize that Castle beat him but good. Not to mention Nieman's face when she realize what Kate was about to do to her when she grabbed her hand and had more power over her. I do agree that once again, the DA is mentioned and I'm sure he will take all the credit for everything and this was some of the best work with Gates ever. Having her officially on team Castle and made it work well. So, Bracket in prison with a mountain of evidence against him thanks to the elephant. Tyson shot through the heart and Nieman killed with her own scalpel. Yep, time to fix the entire "Castle went missing and its complicated" to go back to the forefront. 

I'm also really glad Castle was able to outsmart Tyson, even if it is only because Tyson had that supervillian problem of wasting time explaining their evil scheme.

Heh too true, I hate it when they do that always makes me eye roll so I'm glad Castle got the better of him in the end.

When I first saw that scene, I was like, is he talking to himself? Is this Castle's version of a voice over? Heh.  But what were Espo and Ryan doing in the back of the room then anyway?

I really should have guessed he was talking to someone because it was really weird when he started doing that.  

While I doubt we'll get to see any of her emotional healing, I don't think the end scene signaled it was dealt with and Beckett is going to move on. She just killed a woman with a scalpel after being drugged and abducted. That's going to take more than a pep talk from her husband to get through. But I think all we, the audience, need to know is that Castle is supportive of her actions and will be there to help her through it, even though she's just displayed this brutal, horrifying side to her that she's never had to before. And I think it also showed nicely that while she thought that was something she was going to have to deal with herself, she realized that she didn't have to and maybe didn't want to, because she was willing to let him be there for her.

I don't doubt his support which came certainly came over but the way it's probably going to be left with them emotionally "healing" off screen makes what I experienced now feel less than it should. If there are no tangible signs from any of the characters that they're affected next week or the week after or the week after that really what's the point? How is it truly affected these characters if they bare no obvious psychological scars? I don't like the repercussions from traumatic events like this being left mainly up to my imagination. It would be worthwhile to see some emotional healing on screen at some point, that's what anchors me to the characters and why I'm invested in them. It makes it appear as if the writers are just doing this for cheap drama at the character's expense and it's pretty meaningless. 

But this is the show's M.O. so I should be used to it by now. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Ding dong, the psycho's gone. About fricking time. 

Looking back now, it should have been obvious that Ryan and Espo were in on his plan, because who else would he be side-mumbling to?

I was wondering if he was talking to someone in that scene, but then it seemed like Tyson had gotten the better of him again so I wasn't sure. Until he started reversing everything on Tyson, and I thought, Awesome. Finally!! I'm so glad they got the better of Tyson this time, and that Castle involved Ryan and Esposito to help him do it. If he'd taken down Tyson all by himself, I think I would have been a little annoyed. Just as I don't like Tyson behaving like an omnipotent Pelant (aka Bones), I don't want Castle to be a one-man police force. In fact, that's why I really liked how he started to wonder (in a previous episode) if he was truly cut out to be a private eye. He can't (nor should he) do everything and know everything.

Count me in with those who thought Tyson should have dropped like a sack of potatoes... rather than stopping short, turning around and looking at Castle, before finally expiring. I'd have to ask someone who has familiarity with weapons, but I can't imagine a person could get shot in the chest or take a direct hit to the heart and still move around like that. Unless you're in shock so your body's injury hasn't caught up / connected with your brain yet? 

Yep, time to fix the entire "Castle went missing and its complicated" to go back to the forefront.

Speaking of the mythology that panned out exactly as I predicted on the spoiler thread recently,  it was shoehorned at the end before the credits, it's treated like an unwanted bastard child. But at least Amann can hold his hands up and say they've touched on the story as promised but we're still no closer to finding out what happened and that's frustrating at this stage of the season.

I have a horrible feeling it's going to get left again and then kick in close to the finale in some awful way that makes the story (what there is of it) worse not better. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

While I'm sure this doesn't mean anything, I can't get over the imagery of when they find Beckett and she's standing over Nieman. It strikes me as so much like an insane asylum - padded walls, Beckett barefoot and in ill-fitting, beige linen pants and a plain white T-shirt, just standing, dripping with blood.I think that says more about their fight than any action sequence. I don't know. I can't stop thinking it.

(Though I'll admit, as someone that doesn't like gore I'm glad we didn't see more of it.)

I'd have to ask someone who has familiarity with weapons, but I can't imagine a person could get shot in the chest or take a direct hit to the heart and still move around like that. Unless you're in shock so your body's injury hasn't caught up / connected with your brain yet? 

Actually, as documented by many real life cases it is very common to be shot in the chest and still be able to move around.  If your heart literally blew up you'd still have about ten seconds of consciousness and movement.   Hollywood rarely shows that reality.  In fact, there was a gunfighter saying in the old west called the "Dead Man's ten" which was about the ten seconds your opponent can stay in the fight and try and kill you after being shot in the heart.   

Edited by Cosmosgravitation

While I'm sure this doesn't mean anything, I can't get over the imagery of when they find Beckett and she's standing over Nieman. It strikes me as so much like an insane asylum - padded walls, Beckett barefoot and in ill-fitting, beige linen pants and a plain white T-shirt, just standing, dripping with blood.I think that says more about their fight than any action sequence. I don't know. I can't stop thinking it.

There's some good pictures here, looks even better in black and white. I know other fans may disagree and probably wish we had seen Kate attacking her since we didn't see much of Beckett this episode but I think it's much more effective seeing the aftermath, for me less is more in so many things. You know she took her out and whilst Castle was battling his demons with 3XK (and winning) she was grappling with hers over Nieman. I don't need to see actual violence for it to make an impression.  In fact the more overt it is I find it puts me off not sucks me into the story. 

Great job as usual by Castle Art Dept. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 3

Actually, as documented by many real life cases it is very common to be shot in the chest and still be able to move around.  If your heart literally blew up you'd still have about ten seconds of consciousness and movement.   Hollywood rarely shows that reality.  In fact, there was a gunfighter saying in the old west called the "Dead Man's ten" which was about the ten seconds your opponent can stay in the fight and try and kill you after being shot in the heart.

Creepy!   :)

I have to admit when he goes into the house searching and he went into the room and there's something draped under this big sheet in the corner I was going "watch out he's under the sheet!" But then if you have an empty creepy house in the woods it wouldn't feel complete without that. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Actually, as documented by many real life cases it is very common to be shot in the chest and still be able to move around.  If your heart literally blew up you'd still have about ten seconds of consciousness and movement.   Hollywood rarely shows that reality.  In fact, there was a gunfighter saying in the old west called the "Dead Man's ten" which was about the ten seconds your opponent can stay in the fight and try and kill you after being shot in the heart.   

I never knew this I always assumed they dropped like a stone which is why I laughed when he didn't and thank you I shall remember this if I'm ever involved in a shoot out. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

My number one complaint is that they use literal darkness when things become dark in theme. I hate, hate, hate that. *sigh*

Ikr? I was like can we please turn on the fucking lights. The middle of the day scenes at the precinct were so dark too. Everyone was in a shadow most of the time. Castle's "Beckett NO!" from the promo was in silhouette in the ep. I'm over the green tinting too. It made the scene from the sneak peek look super dark and the only decent lighting was Castle in the woods circling the house.

2nd half of the 2 parter was much better than the 1st part. Nice surprise to see Marcus Gates which was a better use of time that excessive use of flashbacks. I thought Castle was gonna answer to Marcus that "his cop friend" is his wife but then Marcus might've not helped him. I did love Captain Gates talk with Castle while uncuffing him and not kiss on the lips with her at the end. Mosley and Wersching are so good as being so creepy.

The product placement was hilariously bad. I can't at the "Castle's Buick" hotspot name and the mention of the large trunk space. He's a writer and should've have something more creative. Is the home wifi name "Castle's Loft"?

Was that black jacket from Driven? Maybe it can be Castle's jacket of doom. So Alexis gets a t-shirt and shorts for sleepwear while Beckett gets distracting patterned long sleeve and pants pjs plus various robes for bed scenes lately. Okay then.

Since Martha was at wardrobe fitting the day before, I wonder how that phone conversation with the play production people went. "So I have to go out of town for a few days. My daughter in law has been kidnapped by a serial killer we thought was dead and he may be coming after me, so I'll let you know when it's safe for me to comeback."

Beckett barefoot and in ill-fitting, beige linen pants and a plain white T-shirt, just standing, dripping with blood.I think that says more about their fight than any action sequence.

That gave me Serenity vibes since it look similar to the Alliance busting in with their weapons and flashlights to a barefooted River with bloody weapons and all the dead Reavers in the room.

Oh, right, I forgot about her. Is she still in the trunk?

Lol Nathan. NathanFillion: “@_Karyn_: @NathanFillion wait, does she ever get out of the trunk” Oh no. Where’s my keys? Now we get west coast tweeting at each other of Nathan, Jon and Shatner while Seamus is doing his Facebook chatting.

Edited by turnitwayup
  • Love 2

He was pretty much solely responsibly for killing a insane serial killer which the DA will probably take credit for, so it worked for me.  But I really wanted him back at the precinct so I would accept pretty much anything.  I do hope he doesn't totally lose the PI business though.  That could help switch things up a bit down the line.

Oh I agree with you him being back is a relief but they didn't even attempt to have it make any sense. He was banned because of his supposed mob connections from what I can recall, have they gone away suddenly? I could hand wave that they decided to let the assault go due to everything but the mob connection stuff was ignored completely. I'd rather they had Gates saying they're investigated blah blah and found out it something which got him off the hook. They could at least look like they're making an effort to tie things in.  

Ikr? I was like can we please turn on the fucking lights.

We're talking Bowman here, I do not expect good lighting, this is his calling card along with funny camera effects. If I could see things clearly then I'd be convinced he was off sick that day and his stand in took over. 

Edited by verdana

I never knew this I always assumed they dropped like a stone which is why I laughed when he didn't and thank you I shall remember this if I'm ever involved in a shoot out. 

Yeah, most television and films usually just have the guy fall over because it's a lot easier and saves on screen time.  The only way that happens in real life from violence is via the central nervous system - basically the brain or spinal cord.  Even then it depends on where the damage is sustained. 

Although some people are so shocked to be so severely wounded they simply stop fighting and give up and collapse, but that's mental instead of physical. 

Edited by Cosmosgravitation

Does Castle have a licence to carry a gun then? I just realised he had one, did he always have it and kept it in the safe may be? I thought he said in one episode that he'd tried to get a licence and failed (may be imagining all this) so I'm interested if he got it as part of his PI licence. 

How difficult is it to get a licence to hold a gun in a place like New York as a civilian? 

We're talking Bowman here, I do not expect good lighting, this is his calling card along with funny camera effects. If I could see things clearly then I'd be convinced he had was off sick that day and his stand in took over. 

Yeah but every time he directs it gets physically darker especially the 2 parters and the mythlogy eps. Pretty sure this ep was much darker that Disciple and Veritas. At least you can see everyone's faces in those eps. The best overall lit eps he's done since s4 started the whole set darkness were Murder He Wrote and Child's Play.

Don't you mean in "Castle's Buick's trunk"? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Actually, it should have been: "In Castle's Buick's extra roomy trunk." Heh. Why, I'll bet she's having a tea party in there! Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Does Castle have a licence to carry a gun then? I just realised he had one, did he always have it and kept it in the safe may be? I thought he said in one episode that he'd tried to get a licence and failed (may be imagining all this) so I'm interested if he got it as part of his PI licence. 

How difficult is it to get a licence to hold a gun in a place like New York as a civilian? 

I don't remember any scenes about it, but yes, New York City is notoriously difficult to get a concealed weapons permit in.  It is possible though, and with Castle being famous, rich, and possessing political connections he could probably get one.  Licensed private investigators are often granted concealed weapon permits as well.