Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Jill's Secret

IIRC Josie had chronic digestive issues as a result of being a preemie. In her case there might be a legitimate medical reason that would explain why she still isn't potty trained (if in fact, that's the case). It's hard to say how much of Josie's behavior is the result of her birth and how much is the result of the Duggars infantilizing her. I think it's a combination of both.

Agree completely. Digestive issues could certainly account for Josie not yet being potty-trained. And in Josie's defense, it is pretty much universally-acknowledged now that most families do have a tendency to "keep lastborns little" - doing things FOR them that older children were expected to learn and do for themselves is just one of the ways this is accomplished. Making lastborns "perform" - as the adorably-cute little tykes they are - is another. I'm thinking of Josie's solo performance of the National Anthem a few months back. It's a matter of birth order. Just as the eldest child is "trained" to be responsible and achievement-oriented, the lastborn tends to stay cute and entertaining.

• Love 2

I have seen a couple of scenes with Josie where she is holding a spoon or a fork and able to feed herself. I am guessing if she is fed, it's to expedite the process so she's not sitting with her meal for an extended period of time. I have a cousin with mental delays and we never trust him to eat his meal on his own - most of the time, someone has to sit with him and feed him or the meal will be uneaten. Occasionally, he'll feed himself, but then we know he will be at the table for 30+ minutes. Maybe that's the case with Josie?

Didn't the wedding planner have the guest give Jill recipes to cook just for two at the wedding shower? I remember seeing something like that.

I was going to say I thought it was a gift from her sisters but now I think I'm thinking of Erin Bates wedding shower - I think her sisters gave her a book full of recipes. 

I have seen a couple of scenes with Josie where she is holding a spoon or a fork and able to feed herself. I am guessing if she is fed, it's to expedite the process so she's not sitting with her meal for an extended period of time. I have a cousin with mental delays and we never trust him to eat his meal on his own - most of the time, someone has to sit with him and feed him or the meal will be uneaten. Occasionally, he'll feed himself, but then we know he will be at the table for 30+ minutes. Maybe that's the case with Josie?

I was thinking that too.  Sometimes it's just easier to feed them so they aren't playing with their food lol

• Love 1

I'm a longtime lurker here, but after watching this episode I decided the time had come to create an account. Just a few of my thoughts.

1. That pregnancy announcement was so fake. These people are not actors. The producers need to stop with the recreations. It's ludicrous.

2. Jill and Derick are nauseating.

3. Wtf is up with Jill spoon feeding Josie?!?!

4. I can't stand Anna. She was all, "you're pregnant? I'm so jealous. Haha, just kidding." She was not kidding, and I think she's just as crazy as Mullett.

5. I don't usually like Jessa, but I actually agreed with her about the wedding. I know it's important, and a big day but it really is just one day. The marriage is more important than the wedding. At least that's my opinion.

6. Finally, I really just want to smack Mullett every time she opens her mouth.

• Love 13
Most homeschooling families I know would use the discovery of the mold as an opportunity to learn about mold. Yet in a TH a couple of howlers were incapable of articulating what mold is, even on the most basic level.

I homeschool, and whenever the kids ask "what?", we go look it up! Of course, I imagine many attentive parents are like this, homeschoolers or not. However, we're dealing with Boob and Mullet here. So, my guess is that either the kids asked them and they were told that describing mold would violate their virtue in some way and they could find out when they're older - orrrr, the kids just know better and never ask their idiot parents anything. 

I am so grossed out that Anna and Josh's old home has mold. Disgusting. That's the one thing a homeowner/landlord should nip in the bud immediately after discovering its appearance.

Well, the landlord is Boob - so he's probably never MADE an appearance in there since Josh and Anna moved out. 

• Love 1
Interesting that Jill's sisters were happier and more demonstrative toward her when she announced her pregnancy than her own mother.

JoyAnna positively flipped out. She threw her pillow on the ground and was practically jumping up and down. That's the most non-Stepford joy I've seen out of a Duggar in a long time. 

• Love 7

JoyAnna positively flipped out. She threw her pillow on the ground and was practically jumping up and down. That's the most non-Stepford joy I've seen out of a Duggar in a long time. 

And Jessa was the first one to go over and hug Jill!

• Love 5

Do you think we'll ever hear or see Cathy and Dan's reaction to the baby announcement? For a minute, when they were on the phone, I thought Jillard was calling Cathy & thought Good God, you can't even tell her in person, then realized they were calling the Smuggars. Best yet, I would love to watch an interview with Cathy's husband about his views on the whole thing. (Marrying into the Duggars, quick pregnancy, etc) Now that would be something to watch.

Like we all said, there's plenty of small recipes on line or in cookbooks she could find. I think the camera crew dwelled on a baggie of fruit when Derick asked Jill about if something came from the Duggars & she answered No. I know they were talking about something else, but it was funny that of course, fresh fruit wouldn't have come from the Duggars. I thought it was weird too they were sitting side by side while eating but I guess they can't bear not be able to kiss or grope one another for 15 minutes. I was so glad the kiss meter didn't last the whole show, as I thought it might have when it started. They all think it's soooo cute how Josie acts around chocolate. Instead of helping her by putting a small amount of chocolate on her plate at the beginning, they just allow her to go at it from the big pot, wiping chocolate everywhere. Derick summed it up right when he said something like "that's how it is is Josie's world." Please get that little one some help.

Regarding the mold, does anyone know how long it would take to treat a house that size & is it truly safe after the treatment? Besides mold, I wonder what other surprises linger in that house (carpenter ants, termites, mice)? I do remember Anna said they got the cat because of a mice problem.

• Love 1

It's evident that one of two things is the case here regarding Josie....she either has some issues/delays or her parents are totally in denial about her situation and insist on saying that she is perfectly fine...well, observation indicates she has SOME concerns..I think it would be noble of her parents to have been honest with not only the public, but with themselves and admit the situation from the start. I sincerely don't think that any of us viewers would view Josie with any prejudice or in any unkind way. It is her parents' attitude that is revolting. She deserves the best chance she can have in life, as do all of her siblings and for one reason or another, none of them will be "all they can be". Shame on Jim Bob and Michelle.

• Love 9

I was just thinking of how they talk like they're making a super budget cutting wedding and Jim Bob it says it can cost them about $20k to put on a wedding.  Well if they wouldn't invite so many damn people they could have a really nice fancy wedding with an actual reception for that amount.  

• Love 4

Tried to purpose myself not to watch, but got sucked in again.

Jil and Derrick are getting worse.  I used to like DerrickDillard, but he's lost a LOT of brain cells since he married into that family.  Jill acts like a 12 year old.  Why can't Derrick just drive himself to work?  She doesn't have anywhere to go, and has adult sisters that could drive her if she needed to go somewhere.  Not like any of them work.  Maybe Jill could stay home and learn to cook.  You know, "take care of your husband."  And not in the way Mechelle meant.

JimBoob gets more disgusting every episode.  My husband would prefer to think our daughter, who has been married 7 1/2 years and just had her second child, doesn't even have sex (like most dads).  JimBoob is a little too interested.  Maybe he suggests positions?

Jessa and Ben, while still immature, don't annoy me near as much as the Dillards.  And why wasn't that house cleaned/mattress thown out before now?  Yuck.  First thing you do when tenants move out is get rid of the trash they left behind.  A mattress with stains is so nasty.  Sure hope the mold issue is resolved, that's nothing to mess with.  Especially someone with allergies.  JimBoob is such a cheapskate.  If somebody else isn't paying for it, then it doesn't get done.

I also was appalled at Josie being fed like a baby.  Deny it all you want, but that child is not where she should be at this age.  And those pictures with her on the table with Michael?  Can't believe how filthy her feet are!!!  Those little ones all need somebody to bathe them, comb their hair, brush their teeth and dress them in clean clothes, and send them to real school, since the homeschooling is not being done properly.  It makes my heart ache seeing them so neglected.  I don't blame the older girls, they shouldn't be saddled with all that.  Mechelle needs to mother every one of those children, not just deliver them!

Loved Guinn Sewald's comment to Michelle and the look she gave her when Michelle said in a year they could be grandmas. 

Next week's episode with Derrick saying "Hi baby, it's your daddy" and Jill's horsey grin just gags me.  Oh yeah, that fake announcement.  Let's go during "Bible time."  JimBoob was explaining to the masses all about the bible, like they never looked at it before.  So fake and obviously staged.  And do these women think that you need to take a pregnancy test every time you have sex?  I think I remember Anna saying she took 40 of them in the four months it took her to conceive.  You would think that women so consumed with pregnancy would have some idea of how their body works. 

• Love 10

Jill looked about 2 or 2 1/2 months along. It had to be a reenactment. Did anyone else notice that tiny bulge? It's slight, but noticeable. She used to be flat. IF you can rewatch it, do so. Then compare her with Jessa and Jinger. There's definitely some showing there that's a bit past the 30 day mark. Why do they feel the need to lie to their viewers? Why not just come out and say, "We're about 2.5 months knocked-up"? This was obviously filmed late August/early Sept. Maybe they want every pregnancy to fit in with their political agenda that life starts at conception

My opinion, of course

I'm sorry, but It's not even possible to tell just by looking if someone is 2 months pregnant.

• Love 1

Jil and Derrick are getting worse.  I used to like DerrickDillard, but he's lost a LOT of brain cells since he married into that family.  Jill acts like a 12 year old.  Why can't Derrick just drive himself to work?  She doesn't have anywhere to go, and has adult sisters that could drive her if she needed to go somewhere. 

Lol, if you were Jana and Jinger would you want to spend your time driving Jill around, listening to her gush about her perfect life? Notice how when Jinger dropped off and picked up the girls she high-tailed it out of there with minimal conversation. As viewers we're nauseated by Jill and Derick just watching them for one hour. Imagine having to spend significant amounts of time with them the way their siblings do. Blech.

• Love 4

Let's remember that Guinn Seewald had a honeymoon baby (Ben) while Michelle was able to enjoy several years of marriage and then several years with only one child. I was pretty sure Mike Seewald pulled Ben aside and gave him some, um, instructions, on how not to be Jill and Derrick, and Guinn's comment confirms that to me. They may believe in all the children God gives you, but no reason to rush that along.

• Love 4

The kids are so much better-behaved for Jill.  But Jordyn's speech has gotten worse between seasons - I'm back to barely being able to understand her. 

JimBob is disgusting if he refuses to keep his rental properties in good shape.  Even for his own kid he can't be bothered to do something about the mold? 

I agree.  They are better behaved because Jill is more of a mother.  MEchelle checked out a long time ago.  Did anyone notice that it was all the younger children having to go up and take care of Joy after her surgery.  MEchelle is such as waste of mother space.

The mold is a serious issue.  When I moved into a house in California year ago - with the man that is now my husband- he was having bronchitis constantly.  (He lived there before me.)  I started having to take Claritin all the time.  About 9 months later, I discovered a mold problem.  Basically it was a broken water pipe that the cheapskate landlord had never fixed properly.  We moved out within a few weeks and honestly, he never had bronchitis again after we moved. It is a serious issue and can horrible health problems.  If he had tenants, he could potentially be liable for their health for years to come.  Not sure of the statue for that state- but still.  He is an idiot. 

I am really concerned about Jill feeding four and a half year old Josie her breakfast cereal since this is something my kids were doing when they were 18 months old. 

This was probably the most disturbing part of the show.  I never SPOON FED my kids dry cereal and milk!  Sorry. I let them eat dry at the high chair with their hands and drink a sippy cup of milk to wash it down.  AND, it wasn't froot loops or whatever that garbage was.  I should also point out that they were not 5 years OLD!  OMG! 

The house might be big, but its awful. Done with cheap materials, clashing colors. No wonder it hasnt sold.   It is also dirty. Stuff all over the floors and lots of dust.

The house has not been for sale since they were married.  That was all a bunch of BS Boob through out there.  

MEchelle made me really ill during this episode.  She was so quick and happy to get the 'littles' out of the house. I can't explain it.  She was just really annoying.  

Boob was funny talking about modesty for guys while Ben wears shorts in the prior scene. LOL. LOVE IT. 

And Jessa - of course- said what SO many other crazy brides say about bridesmaids dresses.  "Something they can wear again."  ROFL.  Has anyone really ever worn a BM dress again?  

• Love 3

I personally disagree with most posters here. I don't believe the 5 or so oldest Duggar girls need to grow up, because I believe they never knew how to be kids in the first place.

Imo, this is a poor excuse to be pretending to be mature enough to get married and have a child within a short period of time. Jill acts like she is fifteen years old with a new boyfriend. She needs to wake up soon because Baby Dilly will be here before she knows it. Jill needs to accept the fact she is a married pregnant woman and not a giggly girl playing house with a man she knew for a short period of time. Posting about her husband being awesome, sweet, and waiting for her first blessing to be born while giggling about how her family will react to her pregnancy news can only get you so far in life.

But, bigskygirl, I think some of that is Jill acting like her mother. Especially the sweet, awesome stuff and looking at Derick like he hung the moon.

That's the example she grew up with. Michelle giggles a lot too.

• Love 2

There is a big difference between taking care of your siblings and having a baby of your own. I can imagine how she will act when her amazing, sweet, awesome blessing when Baby Dilly arrives. She is obnoxious enough with Derick.

Tried to purpose myself not to watch, but got sucked in again.art ache seeing them so neglected. 

I feel your pain same damn thing happened to me!

You think I would be immune to it by now but I feel like I need a "Silkwood" shower every time Jim Bob talks about his daughters sex lives. So disturbing and gross!

Thank heavens Jessa reminded us in the first few minutes of the show that she is engaged to Ben Seewald, I had totally forgotten.

Do you think Jessa let's Ben visit his balls wherever she is keeping them in a glass jar? Perhaps they are sitting next to an industrial sized jar of pickles.

Lastly I think the Duggar's should buy stock in hairspray, pickles and pregnancy testd.

• Love 2

I personally disagree with most posters here. I don't believe the 5 or so oldest Duggar girls need to grow up, because I believe they never knew how to be kids in the first place.

I agree but there comes a time where u need to grow up.

• Love 1

I'm guessing Jill doesn't call Josh very often, so a guess of pregnancy wouldn't be far off.  My dad knew I was going to tell him I was pregnant as soon as I told him to get my step-mom on the phone too.

The pretzel thing Jill had is a totally yummy candy snack -mini-pretzels with Rolo's smooshed between them.

Jessa doesn't like cake, so that is why no cake.  I could not figure out what the third thing she said no to, so glad you all put out the mints thing.  The no punch doesn't bother me cause punch at a wedding is stupid and punch is for kids - I can totally see Jessa thinking that.

You could so tell Jessa did not want her moms help

bigskygirl, on 18 Feb 2015 - 8:03 PM, said:

There is a big difference between taking care of your siblings and having a baby of your own. I can imagine how she will act when her amazing, sweet, awesome blessing when Baby Dilly arrives. She is obnoxious enough with Derick.

She didn't just "take care" of her siblings.  She raised them.  I don't think there is any difference at all.

I think that's a name tag, that Ben wore to some function they attended.  At least that's what it looks like to me.  She keeps it there so she won't forget his name.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 8

I realize in the opening they had to redo Jill's to add Derrick, and it must have been done recently, given how much she is showing. Would it have been that hard/expensive to update everyone else's? It seems kinds silly to in Josh's to show 3M as a tiny infant, when we are all well aware that 4M is on the way. So partway through the season, are they going to redo just Jessa's, to add Ben Seewald (that is who she is engaged to, right?).

• Love 2

I agree.  They are better behaved because Jill is more of a mother.  MEchelle checked out a long time ago.  Did anyone notice that it was all the younger children having to go up and take care of Joy after her surgery.  MEchelle is such as waste of mother space.

The mold is a serious issue.  When I moved into a house in California year ago - with the man that is now my husband- he was having bronchitis constantly.  (He lived there before me.)  I started having to take Claritin all the time.  About 9 months later, I discovered a mold problem.  Basically it was a broken water pipe that the cheapskate landlord had never fixed properly.  We moved out within a few weeks and honestly, he never had bronchitis again after we moved. It is a serious issue and can horrible health problems.  If he had tenants, he could potentially be liable for their health for years to come.  Not sure of the statue for that state- but still.  He is an idiot. 

This was probably the most disturbing part of the show.  I never SPOON FED my kids dry cereal and milk!  Sorry. I let them eat dry at the high chair with their hands and drink a sippy cup of milk to wash it down.  AND, it wasn't froot loops or whatever that garbage was.  I should also point out that they were not 5 years OLD!  OMG! 

The house has not been for sale since they were married.  That was all a bunch of BS Boob through out there.  

MEchelle made me really ill during this episode.  She was so quick and happy to get the 'littles' out of the house. I can't explain it.  She was just really annoying.  

Boob was funny talking about modesty for guys while Ben wears shorts in the prior scene. LOL. LOVE IT. 

And Jessa - of course- said what SO many other crazy brides say about bridesmaids dresses.  "Something they can wear again."  ROFL.  Has anyone really ever worn a BM dress again?  

Great post! So true-- all of it!

Do these people buy pregnancy tests in bulk? And take one every hour of the day? I'm surprised they don't refer to them as Jesus sticks.

Oh my gosh, we are sitting here in hysterics over the thought of peeing on the Jesus stick.

Maybe if Jim allowed his daughters a real education then Jessa could find her own home.

That is how i see it too.   It doesn't seem like they have much of a chance to prepare for work / work a sufficiently lucrative job to be able to afford housing

I'm guessing Jill doesn't call Josh very often, so a guess of pregnancy wouldn't be far off.  My dad knew I was going to tell him I was pregnant as soon as I told him to get my step-mom on the phone too.

Yeah - I might have missed some of the phone call set-up, but if she got Josh and Anna on the phone at the same time (and probably said something like "i have some news!"), that is probably probably the first thing they would guess / or at least jokingly guess.

And Jessa - of course- said what SO many other crazy brides say about bridesmaids dresses.  "Something they can wear again."  ROFL.  Has anyone really ever worn a BM dress again?

Too true!  Although the dresses she chose were not as "bridesmaidey" as a lot I have seen.

My daughter is getting married next spring.  She is picking the colour, but letting her bridesmaids choose their own dresses.  As long as they all wear the same colour she is happy.  

Right. Again, the Duggar children are hampered by their upbringing, but they've also had far more advantages than tons of extreme religiously raised children who have left and succeeded on their own terms. To some extent, they stay because they choose to stay.

• Love 5

Have the Duggars never heard of mattress covers?

Also, if you know you're going to do a home birth, wouldn't you take steps to ensure items like mattresses, linens,etc., are protected?

Instead of driving around in her douchemobile Hummer, carrying around her Coach outlet bag, and having spending sprees at various craft and kids' resale shops, maybe Miss Hoity Toity wannabe could have hired a cleaning person to help with cleaning the place up. At the very least she could have spent a few bucks on things to help keep the place a bit more clean and sanitary.

Edited by zenme
  • Love 5

I think that Jill feeding Josie shows the difference between the way Josie and Jordyn are treated by this family. There was a scene on one of their early shows where Jordyn at about 16 months old was shown sitting in a snap on high chair at the dining room table completely alone fork feeding herself some scrambled eggs. I believe that scene and others showing Jordyn's neglect have been swiffered out but I do remember it clearly.

Edited by Lillybee
  • Love 4

One of my cousins had rolandic epilepsy, and her seizures took a toll on her fine motor skills. If Josie has been seizing, she may be having trouble holding a fork or spoon steady enough to feed herself.

• Love 4

kalamac, then I say that poor Josie DOES have residual effects from her prematurity and Michelle is full of it, as usual or in total denial. Jim Bob,, who seems to have a more real handle about things, should step up and step in and as the "patriarchal leader" of that family, tell Michelle just what the truth IS.

• Love 1

After watching Jill interact with derickdillard in their home, I think that Jill is a very bad actress. She came across to me as being uncomfortable with him, alone in their house, YES, even after the immaculate conception taking place....With 9 years of cameras at her parents' house and giving interviews on her on TH segments, etc., she should NOT be ill at ease in front of a camera. I think she is not comfortable being alone with derickdillard.. I also see derickdillard "dumbing himself down" from what I remember initially. He IS a soft spoken, slower moving kind of guy, and I posted that observation about him a while ago..and that Jill was NOT any of those things. They moved and spoke at different paces and that difference would NOT balance them out, as the Duggars believe, but come between them in time. Derick will simply tell Jill to please SHUT UP when he is trying to speak...she STILL interrupts that man. I also noticed some "editing" was done in their wedding episode, in which Jill stated "IF" Cathy would make the wedding at all...that comment was splied out....conveniently...it's amazing to me that this production company's publicity department and the Duggars themselves deny reading what's posted about them on sites such as this one...they INDEED DO READ THEM. The evidence doesn't lie.

• Love 5

I was thinking the same thing. They both seem uncomfortable around each other. Derick was mentioning how they went from having a chaperone with them to being alone with each other on the same day. I guess this is what you get for a courting with strict rules and a quickie wedding and pregnancy. I also remember Derick telling Jill to speak with a softer voice instead of yelling (like she does when she is trying to talk with all her family members trying to talk at the same time.)

They say this season is going to have Josie's health issues. Here's an issue. Filming your child as she's seizing. J'Chelle and Boob are awful

Yes they are.  They have some seriously bad karma. 

I watch The Little Couple ( LOVE LOVE THAT SHOW) and you see the major differences between two highly educated people who care about their kids and these Duggar morons. Will has speech issues so they take him to therapy and explain to the audience why they are doing it and what they want to achieve. Then you have Jboob and Jchelle insisting that Miracle Child is totally normal but there is something obviously wrong with Josie. TLC must just think we are as stupid as the Duggars if they think we believe that.

I think Josie is the main reason Jana hasn't fled the compound...Boob and Jchelle are totally incompetent in parenting her and Jana cares too much to walk away :-(

• Love 2

Although I am against the filming of Josie's medical problems, there may not be a direct tie between the seizures and her prematurity. I know it's tempting to go there, but many children with perfectly normal births go on to have seizures and complicated neurological issues, and while I would certainly look I to that as a factor, I would not want to be limited by that as an explanation.

• Love 1

Did anyone notice on the previews Jill said they will be going to their first midwife appt. It then shows them driving up to what looks like a Beverly Hillbillies shack, which I guess is the midwives' house/office. Is this the Butterfly Midwife place that Venessa runs or I wonder if Jill is going somewhere else? I'd be shocked if it's Venessa's because her home that was shown in the wedding shower was very nice & wouldn't expect her to work out of a shack.