Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Jill's Secret

Right. Again, the Duggar children are hampered by their upbringing, but they've also had far more advantages than tons of extreme religiously raised children who have left and succeeded on their own terms. To some extent, they stay because they choose to stay.

The senior Duggars have also taken pains to make it much harder to leave than to stay. That has to play into their "choice." Especially the fear of isolation from siblings still living at home. :(

• Love 3

If I remember correctly, I thought the shack Jill went to for her midwife appointment was the same one that Anna went to for Michael's delivery. I think her name was Miss Theresa? She is nothing more than a  local doctor's wife, whose license has been suspended from practicing medicine. I don't have any knowledge of what her certifications to provide prenatal and delivery care are. Anyone else recognize that building?

If Josie has any issues that are not due to her prematurity, they must be due to having a mother who was over 40 who refused to "hang it up" and quit having babies at an advanced age. Some effects from something are becoming apparent.....Michelle should quit saying that she is just fine....when she is not.

• Love 2

I think that the ratings are high now because the show is focused more on Jill and Jessa rather than Jim Bob and Michelle. From what I observed , it seems like Jessa doesn't care all that much about the details of her wedding and really wanted to just get married and leave home. I believe I heard her say the word elope to Jim Bob both in this episode and the previous season. It might have been a strong possibilty that she and Ben would have done so if Jim Bob had not granted Ben permission to ask Jessa to marry her. She would have probably been just as happy to move to Hot Springs and live with Ben and his family for awhile than to continue to live as a single woman with the Duggars. It makes me wonder what really goes on behind the scenes at that house. Also, someone on another side said that Michelle is starting to sound like Elmo, and I have to say I agree. She did look better in her TH with the darker sweater rather than that hideous green maternity shirt. Now if she's just cut her hair a few inches, she'd look much better. 

• Love 3

I have completely unreliable data about the show based on the unscientific survey of my two neighbors who watch the show. :)  They watch for the engagements and weddings.  They are also somewhat interested in the new babies.  Based on the ratings, they don't seem to be alone in that.

I think that Jill feeding Josie shows the difference between the way Josie and Jordyn are treated by this family. There was a scene on one of their early shows where Jordyn at about 16 months old was shown sitting in a snap on high chair at the dining room table completely alone fork feeding herself some scrambled eggs. I believe that scene and others showing Jordyn's neglect have been swiffered out but I do remember it clearly.

Jordyn is the one I really feel sorry for.  I picture that baby in the big house in Little Rock all alone and dragging around a doll with no clothes.  She was totally left to grow up fast.  Another sad scene was one of the younger boys making breakfast for her.  Oatmeal in a red plastic cup with water from the kitchen sink.  I may be wrong, but I remember that as being Jordyn.  Can't remember which boy.  She ate it with her plastic spoon little a good little girl.  Wow!  What a difference a Miracle makes. 

• Love 10

I finally watched the episode (sorry, but the Westminster Dog Show was also on Tuesday night). The pregnancy announcement was sooooo staged. All the girls (including the Walking Incubator) were grinning like Cheshire cats. I have to love that when Derick and Jill made the VERY  AWKWARD announcement, one of the older girls (Joy Anna?) tossed her Bible on the table like, "Screw this shit!" 

And the look on Jim Bob's face, "What...you've only been married a month."  Yes, JB. He couldn't wait to violate your sweet Jilly Muffin.

• Love 4

I don't think Derrick is slow, or even quiet. He is thoughtful before he speaks, which is unheard of in this family.  I hope some of this may "rub off" on Jill.

I think Jessa is just thrilled to be getting away from her mother, even if it is just down the road in a home that is a gift from her Dad.

Michelle seems lost and jealous as she comes to the realization that her married children and their families and lives are interesting and her time in the spotlight is over. She doesn't like it. She also doesn't like losing control over any of them, but that is what's happening.

I think watching Michelle implode will be entertaining.

• Love 7

I mentioned this in another thread but poor Jordyn looks so lost this season. I bet she wanders around the house wondering who is going to take care of her now that her mom Jill is gone. Jinger seemed so tired and once again MEchelle was completely checked out when she said that the little girls were spending the night with JIll because Jinger needed a break. What the FUNK is your job MEChelle? Can't you see your kids still need a mother and are suffering?

No wonder Jana doesn't get married she must be ok who are we kidding, she is the glue that holds that family together. Even Boob is starting to check out. Or is it just my imagination?

• Love 7

Jordyn wasn't on Jill's team was she?  I thought she was on Jessa's.  Although I'm sure Jill still probably paid more attention to her than Michelle did.

I never really paid any attention to their "teams" because when you have a kid the MOTHER should mother the child not whichever daughter is available at the time.

Any of the girls gave the littles more attention then MEchelle did. Seriously I know a mom with 13 kids. She is so calm, cool and collected but not checked out like Mechelle is. I bet Grandma is more of a comfort to all the kids when  they really need a mother. We have all seen how JoylessAnna is glued to Grandma at all times. 

And I did enjoy Jessa's blush off to her so called mother when she interjected herself into the "planning." 

• Love 1

All I really gleaned from this episode was Michelle looking uncomfortable as she kept saying "it's so exciting!". Her grin was so stiff. When I see her like this, I just imagine her when she is behind closed doors finally letting her cheery demeanor deflate and probably looking more real and authentic than how we get to see her. I do not dislike Michelle, but I don't quite get her. 

Edited by purpleflowers
  • Love 2

Jordyn wasn't on Jill's team was she?  I thought she was on Jessa's.  Although I'm sure Jill still probably paid more attention to her than Michelle did.

Yes, Jordyn was on Jessa's "team," such as it was. I think I've seen Jessa attending to Jordyn or holding her hand exactly one time. See? Jessa did inherit something from her mother after all: the inability to parent. 

• Love 5

One odd thing I noticed in this episode was Jessa's computer change. In the beginning of the episode , her keys on the Apple where pink I believe? By the time she was picking out the dresses , they were black again? Did anyone notice this too? It made me think how many days/weeks where apart from filming. 

• Love 1
Yes, Jordyn was on Jessa's "team," such as it was. I think I've seen Jessa attending to Jordyn or holding her hand exactly one time. See? Jessa did inherit something from her mother after all: the inability to parent.

I don't think this necessarily means Jessa inherited her mother's inability to parent. It could mean Jessa has an inability to or lack of interest in babysitting. Jessa is not Jordyn`s parent, no matter the intentions of JB and Michelle.
  • Love 7

I mentioned this in another thread but poor Jordyn looks so lost this season. I bet she wanders around the house wondering who is going to take care of her now that her mom Jill is gone. Jinger seemed so tired and once again MEchelle was completely checked out when she said that the little girls were spending the night with JIll because Jinger needed a break. What the FUNK is your job MEChelle? Can't you see your kids still need a mother and are suffering?

No wonder Jana doesn't get married she must be ok who are we kidding, she is the glue that holds that family together. Even Boob is starting to check out. Or is it just my imagination?

I think that Jordyn has been lost her entire life. She is truly the forgotten Duggar. It could be understandable on one level. Her birth mother was very concerned about Mirical Josie and the poor thing is in Jessa's buddy group. Justin was the one who made her cold oatmeal for breakfast one day. Good for him but I think that he was about 7 at the time. Does anyone else remember the time that Jordyn was outside in the cold mud and Boob finally missed her and brought her into the house.? So much of the Jordyn neglect has been swiffered out of the shows when they were on Netflix but I do remember most of it. The only time her hair seemed to have been combed was when Michelle had all the help when Boob and the J'Slaves were on a mission trip and Mullet has Pris, Anna and a few others helping her with the lost girls. I hate the fact that Jordyn is the true lost girl.

• Love 5

One odd thing I noticed in this episode was Jessa's computer change. In the beginning of the episode , her keys on the Apple where pink I believe? By the time she was picking out the dresses , they were black again? Did anyone notice this too? It made me think how many days/weeks where apart from filming. 

It was probably a different computer - I bet they share or use whatever computer is more convenient in their location.

They're allowed to show the Mac symbol which usually means they are advertising for Apple but I can't imagine Apple gave them computers for everyone. 

Edited by gunderda

She had two computers opened in the picking out/buying dresses scene. She had the pink Apple computer and a bigger silver one opened up. At one point she had both open and the bigger one sitting on top of her Apple computer. Sadly, I have the same pink computer and keyboard cover on my Macbook Pro.

More importantly, they don't have their "own" computers. They share those among each other which means no personal files on them.

I have no doubt the do a daily Bible study. Several shows have them doing it. But it's usually done, if I remember, later in the evening in the boy's room before the youngest children go to bed.

I mentioned this in another thread but poor Jordyn looks so lost this season.

Jordyn just looks dead in the eyes, to me. In her THs, she'll say something that she's supposed to be excited about. And she WILL jump up and down a bit or wave her arms, but it's just going through the motions. Her eyes are so flat. It breaks my heart. 

• Love 2

More importantly, they don't have their "own" computers. They share those among each other which means no personal files on them.

I have no doubt the do a daily Bible study. Several shows have them doing it. But it's usually done, if I remember, later in the evening in the boy's room before the youngest children go to bed.

I noticed when Joy had a computer in bed, it had a sticker with her name on it.  

When someone exaggerates an emotion, it is said to be insincere as they are overcompensating. Did anyone notice Michelle's "love, loVE, LOVE" being a grandma!!

She no more enjoys being a "grandma" than a mother...that woman is a bad actress IMO, and she was not truthful here. In her own mind and heart she know the real truth is the exact opposite of what came out of her mouth.

• Love 8

She was most definitely not happy about that news. She sat there gripping Miracle like a prize. Had anyone else noticed how often they all hold Josies hands and arms and basically have her in a hold at all times? I honestly loved her belting out that song a few episodes back. .endeared her a bit more to me. She needs help..like really needs help. .but if they dont get it for her, i hope she grows up to be a pole dancer with a black lover who makes them suffer in their old age.

Edited to add that JB does have genuine feelings for his kids..he is much more emotional than Mechelle is. At Jills wedding and in other episodes he is ruffling a kids hair or carrying one around. You watch Mechelle around him. .she watches him to see what is an appropriate response to things. If he is watching or in the vicinity, she acts like she cares about the kids. She's a mess.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 3

I'm in the group that finds Jessa's bluntness refreshing (especially in an environment where being sweet and agreeable is so prized; she seems to have found a nice balance of being blunt/bitchy...pleasantly). 

I do too. It's nice to see that change of personality. They were all "trained" to be a certain way from the get-go, so it's nice to see something different.

While I'm glad we don't have to sit through another loooong stage of wedding planning, it's funny how with Jill, they traveled the nation to plan the wedding. Jessa's planning consists of everyone gathering around the laptop. Per usual, Michelle was only half way there mentally. 

I saw an old episode this week and it showed Boob celebrating Michelle saying "I don't know how you do it all. Thank you for everything you do to keep this family running..." I guffawed out loud without realizing it. Please. You never see her doing a damn thing like dropping off/picking up the girls at Jill's. 

I think it showed a little into Josie's personality, courtesy of her mother. When Jill brought out the basket of nail polish and Josie jumped in to grab one, Jill reminded her to sit back and use her manners. That child didn't listen to a word she said and still kept on yelling and reaching for what she wanted. I know kids, they're not big listeners, but this scene showed so much, IMO. The other 3 girls sat and waiting, yet still excited. Not Josie. She gets away with a lot and I have a feeling that's going to hurt her a ton in the long run. 

• Love 4

I was able to view that infamous video of Cathy Byrum and Dan Dillard getting the courtesy of a phone call with Jill's "super neat news". Boy, Dan sure wasn't thrilled to hear that he was going to be an uncle so quickly....that guy seemed to want to say "what the hell is wrong with you, Derick, what have you gotten yourself in to idiot"?

Cathy also seemed not to be "thrilled" like the stupid Duggars and she had a reservation about that news...so "quickly", "already"? Well, what does she think would happen if her son had unprotected sex? Conception....she really should have spoken to him about that before the wedding, like any responsible parent would do. I know she was terribly ill, but early on in the courtship she was feeling fine and she traveled with him back from Nepal...she needed to speak then...

The Dillard/Byrum family reacted like normal people.

• Love 3

Can someone post a link to the video w Dan and Cathy's reaction? I'm curious.

I'm sure she knew they'd announce a pregnancy quick given that they don't believe in BC -- I don't think it's shocking to her that her son would not be using a condom w a Duggar daughter. But even then, not everyone has a honeymoon baby. Even healthy young adults end up trying for a few months to conceive, so I'm guessing it was shocking to her that they announced a pregnancy before a 1 month anniversary though likely I'm sure she expected an announcement in 6 months. Little does she know that I wouldn't have put it past Jill if she timed her wedding such that it fell in her most fertile time of the month.

And the fact that Jill announced her pregnancy 30 days after the wedding ... considering how long some people have to wait to conceive, I hope they realize how fortunate they are that everything worked right away.

Fortunate too that the pregnancy has had a healthy progression since that early announcement!

Interesting that Derrick's Mom was planning to wish them a Happy One Month Anniversary when they called to announce the pregnancy 

Her response of "already?" may have been because couples usually don't announce a pregnancy immediately after conception! 

Edited by springtime
  • Love 2

I said it before, Jill tested and told her family minutes after her feet hit the floor out of bed.. What did all of them expect? Duggars AND Dillard/Byrums? Unprotected sex, multiple times within one cycle equals BABY. They all knew better than that.

What I found surprising about Jill's parenting style is that I think she will be a strict disciplinarian with her kids. I believe this because of a clip of her and the little Duggar kids, Josie left the table and wanted to go off and do something else...Jill's "NO, you get to do THIS NOW" was quite stern; Josie stopped in her tracks and got back in her chair asap...I think Jill can and will also be a combination of nurturing but nerves of steel and distant when disciplining her kids. I saw that in her with Josie. She can be a stern bitch and I also think derickdillard is treated no differently by her at this time. For all the clingly/gushing that she does, I think she also cracks the whip.

• Love 2

I watched the phone call to announce to Derrick's family.

"You're a grandma, you're an uncle?"  No you're GOING TO BE.  And they didn't seem thrilled either.

So glad everything turned out OK for this couple.  Kind of risky announcing it so early, IMO.

Somebody please teach Jill a new word.  "Surreal" is starting to grate on me as much as "precious."

• Love 2

Aha! Now I think I realize why the 4 little girls were shipped off to Jill's for the night...Joy Anna had her wisdom teeth removed and was excused from her jurisdictions. It would have been too much for Jana and Jinger to do it all...you don't think mama Meeechelle would have done any work do you? When Joy was a little better, then the littles were home to take care of HER...we all know Michelle didn't do a thing.

In the opener, we see Michelle riding around in that heavy duty dirt digging equipment cab with Jim Bob. So completely unsafe of them, as usual. We now know the reason why.....their septic backed up at the 'home party' after Jill's wedding. They finally overtaxed that poor drain field with all of those hundreds of people constantly peeing and poohing in their bathrooms...how disgusting.

Remember just how much Jill used that "surreal" word in describing her preparation FOR her wedding? This interview, post wedding, shows us just how close to that wedding this filming took place...TLC spliced many months' events into one episode in which they re-created time, BIG TIME. Hey, we're not THAT stupid...and congrats to the poster who noticed the Duggar wardrobe was exactly the same for the "BABY announcement" and Jessa and Ben on the pink computer planning their wedding, which should have been a few months later...

I've never heard of anybody announcing a pregnancy by saying "you're an uncle/grandma". Dan was correct when he responded back with "no I'm not". He still had 8 months to go before he'd become an uncle. And announcing the pregnancy so soon was odd. She wasn't even 4 weeks pregnant by that point. I don't think Dan seemed thrilled about becoming an uncle. Maybe after the 2 had been married for a year or so he'd be more open to the idea- but everything happening so quickly probably threw him for a loop

• Love 2

Thanks SmallTownMom for pointing out that Jill and Derick told Dan and Cathy they were already an uncle and grandmother. I think that was part of Dan 's confusion. He sounded like he was thinking, "What are you talking about? What's wrong with you two?"

He and Cathy could not have been less thrilled by this quickie pregnancy. I get the feeling they think Derick has been taken over by some weird pod people, and they actually wouldn't be too far off.

Cathy's husband wants nothing at all to do with the Duggars. The little bit they showed of him at Jill and Derick's wedding, he looked like he was trapped in a room with an overflowing septic tank. I would pay to watch a video of his reaction to the pregnancy news.

• Love 2

I've never heard of anybody announcing a pregnancy by saying "you're an uncle/grandma". Dan was correct when he responded back with "no I'm not". He still had 8 months to go before he'd become an uncle. And announcing the pregnancy so soon was odd. She wasn't even 4 weeks pregnant by that point.

Ah, but remember the Duggars think that life begins at conception; therefore, as soon as sperm meets egg it's uncle/grandma/etc. time. At least they are consistent.

• Love 1