Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Jill's Secret

OMG! A life-changing announcement? What could that BE?  </sarcasm>

Right?! I'm going to be on pins and needles until this ground-breaking, never-heard-before announcement is made!!!!!

Good God, Baby Dilly is going to be graduating from high school by the time TLC gets around to his birth. I don't know how much more of the Jill and Derick "our life is so perfect" lovefest I can take. I'm really hoping they find other storylines to focus on this season.

• Love 4

I agree that Jill's continuing "love fest" is annoying. She needs to grow up and soon. I'm sure her devoted fans are cooling off a bit too with all this posting of everything they think, do and say...Give it a rest, Jilly.

• Love 6

Uhm Show, Jill's announcement came about two weeks before Ben even proposed to Jessa, which was already shown last season. Way to manipulate timelines to fit your little plotlines. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6

Jill's Secret - what a ludicrous, ridiculous title for this episode. More proof that you don't need intelligence or creativity to be a producer at TLC. This network gets sadder and sorrier by the month...

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there's any particular reason Sean Overbeeke is no longer producer? My impression was that he was with them a long time.

Jill's Secret - what a ludicrous, ridiculous title for this episode. More proof that you don't need intelligence or creativity to be a producer at TLC. This network gets sadder and sorrier by the month...

At least it isn't an awful play on "Duggar" though

• Love 1

Maybe TLC is playing us all a fool and her secret is that she is having twins

OR she is planning to give the baby to Jana to raise and her and Derick are moving to Nepal and he is having a vasectomy

Most likely it refers to the 30 seconds that she knew that she was pregnant before she told the whole family. "secret' UGH 

• Love 3

I agree. Production has become so lazy. It's hardly a secret when Jilly Muffin is a month away from delivery.

• Love 1

I would guess TLC wants a certain number of hours to show at certain times of the year, and as long as the ratings are good, they couldn't care less about the episodes airing in a timely fashion. Maybe they're aware of the lag time, and are coming up with episode titles that will pass muster with the Duggars while steathly mocking the situation.

I'm sure they just titled the episode this. I highly doubt they think it's really a "secret". I'm sure it's because Jill said she stole something from the house & had a secret.

I can imagine that Jill was talking with her sisters & decided to take a test. In a house with as much activity as theirs & howlers everywhere, I could see the sisters/Derick knowing immediately without the rest of the family knowing until they made the announcement. (Which was probably that day or the next).

I hope this was all staged. I can't imagine J'chelle's reaction upon hearing that someone had dipped into her personal stash of pregnancy tests -- I don't think it would be pretty.

I would bet that it took several takes to get J'chelle to plaster on a fake smile and squeak out talking head bout her "new season of life," and how exited she is for grand-babies.

• Love 4

In the interest of not having 47 pages of comments on this show before it actually airs on Tuesday, I'm going to lock this thread for now.  It will reopen at 10:00 PM Eastern on Tuesday, Feb. 17.  Please recommence your snarking then.

Oh my God, the Duggars are back again to hold me hostage for one hour every Tuesday night (and the five minutes it takes to write this) . . .

* First of all, what’s up with the Jill/Derick “kiss count” and the “side hug” hashtag?  I wanted to hurl a dinner plate through my TV much sooner than usual tonight.  TLC is trying so hard to normalize this family’s insanity.

* I see that Mechelle is just as oblivious and selfish as ever.  Her comment about loving being a grandma was laughable.  She “loves” it so much because most grandmas get to spend happy time with their grandchildren, then hand them back to their parents for the messy stuff, just like she does at home with her own kids (except for the spending happy time part, of course).

* As much of a bitch as I think she is, there’s something very refreshing about Jessa’s interactions with her family.  You always know where you stand with her.  I loved the fact that she openly stated that her bridesmaids would have to be happy with their dresses.  Damn straight, sister.  I still hate the way her sarcastic mother talks about her.  It’s easy to see why Jessa became such an emotionless automaton. 

* It’s nice to see that Ben is still the bright, insightful, budding Mensa member he always was.  Jessa is going to eat that boy alive until a year from now when he realizes that marrying someone just so you can have sex without her father killing you probably isn’t the best game plan.

* The moldy house.  Wow.  I know Jessa put on a defiant face and said she didn’t care that her house is such a dramatic downgrade from her sisters’, but damn.  Still, I’m not too worried about it.  I would have loved to have seen my parent’s faces if I’d asked them what kind of house they were going to provide for me after I got married.  I think we enter some very sticky territory when we start to expect things like that and get upset when they don't meet our standards.

* I thought marriage would mature Jill a bit, but . . . no.  She still acts like a 14-year-old girl with her first boyfriend.  I was a bit put-off by Derick’s almost paternal praise of her meal in the kitchen (“Good job!”) and the way Jill beamed and collected another kiss from her daddy-husband.  Derick is in the process of drinking bathtubs of the fundie Kool-Aid as we speak.

* The intro included something about Josie having seizures.  I realize that these terrible things can happen to anyone at any time, but I’m furious afresh at the fact that they refuse to get any services for that poor child.

* As for Derick and Jill’s baby announcement, I feel stupid watching a show about things that I knew months and months ago.  I think I’d better get used to it.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 15

So much to snark on. First the mold in Grandma's house, it was bizarre. How was it all over the house? I wonder if it was vacant for a while in the summer and Boob was too cheap to run the a/c.? And how gross was the filthy, stained mattress? Jessa sheepishly said something about Anna giving birth on it.

Michelle's eyes looked more bugged out than ever. She looked completely deranged in the pregnancy announcent scene. And I howled in the scene where they are ordering Jessa's bridesmaid dresses and Michelle tries to stroke Jordyn's hair. Jordyn looks like a stranger touched her and runs for her sister mom.

Michelle kept commenting on wanting CHEAP bridesmaid dresses. I like how Grandma tried jump in and say you have to pay more to get some thing decent looking. But Michelle kept emphasizing a cheap price. I felt bad for Jessa.

Next up - Josie. The fact that they carry her and seem to hold her hands still in scenes is very telling. And at the end of the pregnancy announcement scene, when no one was holding her, she ran across the back of the sofa like a mouse. I do hope she is getting help, because she isn't going to thrive being thrown into the ratpack of children.

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 7

Jill stole pregnancy tests. Couldn't she buy her own. And that scene of so scripted. Michelle was so fake. Jim Bob saying he wants his children to have 19 kids each to have 190 grandkids. Money must be nice for an apple computer and 20 pk for a wedding. I really love Jessa though. She voices her opinion and doesn't care if others doesn't like it. Funny how even the kids know they're all not getting a house or jibs from daddy.

I also wonder how Derrick feels always having Jill's siblings over.

And mold??

Edited by Darknight
  • Love 4

So much snarking, so little time...

What was with the kissing between Derick and Jill. Obnoxious and sickening.

Yes, Derick you went from having chaperones to being a couple within a day. We get it.

Poor Jill had to figure out how to cook for two people. My little violin is playing just for her.

Thank you Jill for reminding us you married Derick Dillard. We almost forgot.

Nice staging of the scenes where the lost girls come to visit Jill and Derick before the big Baby Dilly announcement.

Yes, Derick will be a good daddy after spending some time with his wife's young sisters.

Laugh out loud when the one brother reminded Ben and Jessa about Jill getting married before them aka Jill should get the better house.

Yes, Ben you may have a practice wedding before the actual one.

Michelle and her give the kids a house so they can learn to be close and live together. Okay....

I want to know which family friends live in grandma's house. Who the heck is Aunt Frieda?

Jessa actually has close friends outside the family. Really...

Derick telling Jill to tone down her speaking voice.

Jill and her constant giggling would get on my last nerves.

And who came up with the idea of the Baby Dilly announcement. I have thought they Duggars can be phoney phoney when it comes to things, but this takes the cake, frosting and all. I think JB was impress with Derick getting Jill knock up so quickly.

Feeding Josie her cereal. Seriously...

No mention of Cathy or Dan during the big announcement. Why am I not surprise.

I can see who will be wearing the pants in the Seewald house, and it will not be simple minded, I am thinking with my manhood Ben.

No Josh and Anna. Bless the person(s) who came up with this idea.

Oh my jeebers the first fifteen minutes of this episode made me want to stick a fork in my eye. Derick and Jill are officially the most annoying couple I've ever seen. Also, WTF was up with the dinner of baked beans and pretzels? Are those not the two most random items to pair together?

Bin really had his bitch panties on tonight. You could tell he hated the house and he made that snarky comment about Derick and Jill beating him and Jessa in both the wedding and baby department. Anna's comment about being jealous was a joke, but not really. The competition and cattiness in this family is really taking center stage. It's like a Fundie version of Dynasty or something.

The pregnancy announcement was such an obvious re-enactment. Didn't Jill already say she took the test with her sisters present? 

I hate to snark on kids, but Josie is like one of those feral children in Russia who were raised by dogs. She's five, why isn't she feeding herself? 

• Love 11

A friend of Anna's sister Esther's husband rented the Smuggs house. He posted on FJ. He claimed that there was a mold problem back then and also that the roof leaked. He said that the told Boob and Boob did nothing.

• Love 4

A friend of Anna's sister Esther's husband rented the Smuggs house. He posted on FJ. He claimed that there was a mold problem back then and also that the roof leaked. He said that the told Boob and Boob did nothing.

Aren't landlords legally responsible for fixing problems like that? 

• Love 1

Question is what not to snark about? Two points I wanted to add to what has been pointed out was 

-Why must they have hand sex while Derrick is driving?  All I can think about is what if he were to lose control of the vehicle and needed both hands to gain control they'd be in a ditch.

-Why does Jessa have a sticker on her headboard with "Ben Seewald" written on it?  I know....it's her reminder to make sure she says his whole name each time she mentions that she's engaged or getting married to him.

• Love 3

Math problem: If you have 19 kids in general and only 18 live at home (at a time) and there are two parents and maybe grandma living there, then how many people actually live in TTC house? Correct answer: 20, with grandma 21

Michelle seemed to be surprised at say the austerity of Jessa's wedding plans. Considering she should know how limited her budget is and how Jim-Bob probably isn't willing to pitch in finances, what does she expect? It annoys in real life and on the wedding dress shows, etc. when anyone expects the bride and groom to increase the budget without offering to supply the funds. I know JimBob probably controls their finances but still!

Aunt Frieda? 

Jessa: " Probably a guest room for us .....Maybe eventually a nursery" ...?!

I liked Ben's reaction to hearing Anna gave birth in the bathroom. (I originally typed to the bathroom haha)

I like that Jessa picked a dress that didn't need alterations. Better for Jana. Also impressed Jessa included friends in her wedding party. 

Jim Bob (on modesty for men): "Normally the boys wear jeans and a shirt." Who knew pretty every guy is modest!

Considering I don't think Michelle actually needs a pregnancy test, I don't care that Jill "took" it.

Jim Bob wants 190 grandchildren! Good Grief!

The promos showed Michelle telling Ben's mom that she could be a grandma next year. It makes Jessa's line about the room someday being a nursery all the more interesting.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

I've been saying for months now that Ben's "stoned" look is due to allergies because I have the same stuffy voice and red eyes.  I'm kind of glad he confirmed it tonight when looking at the mold.  I was practically screaming for him to run from that house.  Allergies and mold are a terrible combination.  I was a mess in college when the house I lived in had mold issues.

I like how they kept emphasizing "30 days" and "honeymoon baby".  If I hadn't known that was completely staged, I would have expected to see the Jim Bob doing the math in his head to make sure Jilly Muffin had stayed pure.

A+++ to the producers for the lingering shots of Ben's chest during the modesty spiel.  Thank you, and God bless. 

• Love 6

Boob should be ashamed of himself for allowing grandma's house to become a health hazard. That said, Ben looked like he was thinking, "Holy shit. Derick and Jill got a friggen McMansion and I'm getting this piece of crap?" Sucks to be an unemployed teenage groom. At least Boob is keeping the two of them from living in a car, which is likely where they'd be if they weren't on tv.

I did love Jessa calling the second bedroom a guest room and adding that it could become a nursery as sort of an afterthought. Maybe she realizes that she and Ben are not parent material for the time being. No way is she ever having a boatload of kids anyway. She doesn't seem to have a maternal bone in her body.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 6

Do these people buy pregnancy tests in bulk? And take one every hour of the day? I'm surprised they don't refer to them as Jesus sticks.

Boob saying that Jill and Derick had "figured out stuff" or whatever he said made my skin crawl. Yes, they have had the sex and now they are having the baby. Boob is so gross.

• Love 7

It was a good channel years ago, but it has evolved into The Loser Channel. All it needs is Jerry Springer, Dog The Bounty Hunter, Maury Povich, and Dr. Phil to be complete.

• Love 2

Isn't almost 5 year old Josie capable of feeding herself some cereal?

Not after she had chocolate fondue smeared all over her face and down the dress up costume.

And this whole Jill's big secret but the opening credits she looks 8 months pregnant...even if you didn't know she was pregnant last year you definitely knew within 10 seconds of the show starting.

• Love 5

Do these people buy pregnancy tests in bulk? And take one every hour of the day? I'm surprised they don't refer to them as Jesus sticks.

Boob saying that Jill and Derick had "figured out stuff" or whatever he said made my skin crawl. Yes, they have had the sex and now they are having the baby. Boob is so gross.

I think he's a f'ing pervert.
  • Love 5

Boob should be ashamed of himself for allowing grandma's house to become a health hazard. That said, Ben looked like he was thinking, "Holy shit. Derick and Jill got a friggen McMansion and I'm getting this piece of crap?" Sucks to be an unemployed teenage groom. At least Boob is keeping the two of them from living in a car, which is likely where they'd be if they weren't on tv.

I did love Jessa calling the second bedroom a guest room and adding that it could become a nursery as sort of an afterthought. Maybe she realizes that she and Ben are not parent material for the time being. No way is she ever having a boatload of kids anyway. She doesn't seem to have a maternal bone in her body.

"She doesn't have a maternal bone in her body." Neither does Michelle but that didn't stop her...
  • Love 7

I think he's a f'ing pervert.

I thought it was disgusting how even the Howlers were making references to Jill's sex life. I mean how many times do we have to hear about Derick and Jill going from holding hands to getting it on all in the course of one day? The whole thing was just so skeevy. 

• Love 4

Aren't landlords legally responsible for fixing problems like that?

I'm betting that Boob is a slumlord.

Oh my jeebers the first fifteen minutes of this episode made me want to stick a fork in my eye. Derick and Jill are officially the most annoying couple I've ever seen. Also, WTF was up with the dinner of baked beans and pretzels? Are those not the two most random items to pair together?

Bin really had his bitch panties on tonight. You could tell he hated the house and he made that snarky comment about Derick and Jill beating him and Jessa in both the wedding and baby department. Anna's comment about being jealous was a joke, but not really. The competition and cattiness in this family is really taking center stage. It's like a Fundie version of Dynasty or something.

The pregnancy announcement was such an obvious re-enactment. Didn't Jill already say she took the test with her sisters present? 

I hate to snark on kids, but Josie is like one of those feral children in Russia who were raised by dogs. She's five, why isn't she feeding herself?

Is Josie even potty-trained yet?
  • Love 4

I'm betting that Boob is a slumlord.

Is Josie even potty-trained yet?

IIRC Josie had chronic digestive issues as a result of being a preemie. In her case there might be a legitimate medical reason that would explain why she still isn't potty trained (if in fact, that's the case). It's hard to say how much of Josie's behavior is the result of her birth and how much is the result of the Duggars infantilizing her. I think it's a combination of both.

• Love 8

Why does Michelle still have pregnancy tests?  Even if they're leftovers from her fertile days, a sane person would've gotten rid of them by now.  Josie's five. 

The kids are so much better-behaved for Jill.  But Jordyn's speech has gotten worse between seasons - I'm back to barely being able to understand her. 

JimBob is disgusting if he refuses to keep his rental properties in good shape.  Even for his own kid he can't be bothered to do something about the mold? 

Annoying as Josie is, I feel sorry for her.  The older she gets, the more humiliated she's going to be being "babied" on camera like this, assuming she's "with it" enough to comprehend it.  That kid seems miles away most of the time. 

It's appalling that they would call the film crew while their child was having a seizure.  But then, it's not the first time, is it?