Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Ms. Ludgate-Dwyer Goes to Washington / S07.E09: Pie-Mary

I love this show. I feel like that's necessary to say before what follows.

I'm not sure this 'season', if we can call it that, is at all necessary. In fact, it all seems very nonessential and fan servicey but i'm not sure which fans they are servicing? 'everyone wins! at everything! hooray!' 

i guess the time leap was necessary to show Leslie and Ben becoming a DC power couple or whatever. Eh. I love Pawnee. This season is not very Pawnee at all. I hope they have some Pawnee-ness reserved in the back stretch.

• Love 3
The Donna and Garry plot kind of epitomizes the problem I have with this show sometimes. It was cute, it was sweet, but it really wasn't that funny.

ITA, but replied in the Unpopular Opinions thread :) 

This season is not very Pawnee at all. I hope they have some Pawnee-ness reserved in the back stretch.

I miss it too! 

I will never be convinced that April is suited to work with or for actual human beings. Her (apparently fleeting) passion for working with animals was pretty much the best thing about her to me. With the way this show is going (nothing but blissful triumphs for everyone every second---even the ones you didn't know they wanted!), they'll end the series with April as our nation's president. She won't even have to actually run for office---it's not like she ever has to try for any of the many wins she gets, after all---she just has to be her usual vicious, unpleasant, ungrateful, smug self and wait for her friends to convince the country that she's the perfect write-in candidate. (It WOULD be kind of awesome to see Andy as 'First Man', though!) 

• Love 5

I could listen to Amy Poehler's line reading of "son of a bitch" all day.  She will never get that award...it's her white whale.

Garry/Donna storyline in the second episode was perfect.  

I'm going to miss this show.  

Any chance Mark Brendanawicz might show up before the series ends?  I know it's a long shot seeing as we haven't seen hide nor hair of him since he left after the writers said he would pop up every once in awhile.

• Love 2

*In Garry/Jerry/Larry/Terry voice:* Oh, geez.

I love this show. And normally I despise unearned happy endings (I was THAT student in my college lit classes complaining about the plausibility of Shakespeare's comedies and romances) because that's just not the way the world works. But I have so much affection for Parks and Rec and these characters and these actors that I'm just relishing in seeing them happy. And I love them parading out all of the recurring characters. And, as I was laughing at Ron trying to cover up his slip about where he buried some gold, it really hit me how little time we have left with these characters. Then my allergies started acting up really badly. This show, with its ridiculous, unrealistic optimism makes me really happy, and I'm going to miss it so much.

• Love 10

Any chance Mark Brendanawicz might show up before the series ends?

That would be interesting. I always wanted him to come back for one episode (I realize he was boring but felt the character got the shaft).  Not that I would know what to do with him. Maybe he can plan Leslie's new DC office or something?

Also, I want to see Leslie's mom one last time only because I love Pamela Reed.

This, to me, is the most believable. Because she's hitched her career to Leslie at this point (or rather, Leslie hitched April's career to her own), April has a killer resume. In a fairly brief span of time, she went from an intern to assistant to city manager to working on a (successful?) congressional campaign to assistant director of a regional National Parks Service office. She's made hella political connections in DC. That type of upward mobility would shine in a career-services-oriented job.

Maybe......not sure i would call it a killer resume. For someone from Pawnee and with nothing beyond a high school education, yes, but I am willing to bet in DC she'd be one among many with similar credentials.

Especially the "working on a Congressional campaign", tons of DC young people with that.

Assistant to a city manager in a small city in Indiana? Not exactly standing out.

The Parks job she has now I guess I don't really know what she does, other than assist Leslie, but that is probably the most impressive.

I think its less her credentials and more the fact she walks in off the street and they give her a job that I am sure there are plenty of other applicants for with at least similar qualifications. And as mentioned the whole trend of "unbelievably happy endings all around"

• Love 1

I think its less her credentials and more the fact she walks in off the street and they give her a job that I am sure there are plenty of other applicants for with at least similar qualifications. And as mentioned the whole trend of "unbelievably happy endings all around"

But she didn't just walk out off the street alone, she walked in with Leslie Knope someone the organization had not only heard of but had worked with and been impressed by, so classic using connections to get your foot in the door.

Also, she isn't Leslie's assistant, she is assistant regional director of one of seven park offices across the nation which is pretty impressive, at least on paper, for someone of her age. It's also not like she is running the office it appears that she is going to be one of the people who works with clients, if anything some might consider it a step down prestige wise but is putting April on a path she is more interested in.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

He discussed it in this interview from last year.

Yikes, he comes off like a huge prick in that interview.  I guess it could be said the show found more of it's footing after he left so maybe that say something.

But she didn't just walk out off the street alone, she walked in with Leslie Knope someone the organization had not only heard of but had worked with and been impressed by, so classic using connections to get your foot in the door.

Also, she isn't Leslie's assistant, she is assistant regional director of one of seven park offices across the nation which is pretty impressive, at least on paper, for someone of her age. It's also not like she is running the office it appears that she is going to be one of the people who works with clients, if anything some might consider it a step down prestige wise but is putting April on a path she is more interested in.

Isn't Leslie the regional director and, hence, as assistant regional director, she is Leslie's assistant? This is turning into the whole Office discussion with Dwight....is she assistant regional mannager or assistant to the regional mannager?

• Love 2

She is Leslie's number 2, not a position like she used to hold where she was simply an assistant with no agency which is why they showed her speaking in meetings with Senators not just taking notes. Dwight is correct there is a large difference based on where the word assistant is placed in the title.

I agree except April's storylines have always been poison to me. She's not just hateful she's endlessly irritating in the process.

And I suppose this is an UO but I really dislike Donna being suddenly nice to Garry. I've always completely hated the way his character was treated and if it's funny I just don't get it. So now at the 11th hour, years after treating him like shit along with everyone else, Donna is suddenly nice for some reason? It just feels like pandering to something, but I don't know know what. I know they're trying to tie up loose ends etc. but what's the story? This group of people treated this guy like shit for years, and one day out of the blue, one of them relented a little bit. Aw isn't that sweet. What a great story. I hate it.  

Actually, we saw last season or the season before that Ben developed a friendship with Gary. So it's not completely unheard of for someone to be nice to him.

Steven is presumably named after Ben's father.

The girl is named Sonia, which I assumed was a reference to Justice Sotomayor. So I assumed Stephen was also a Supreme Court reference (Justice Breyer). But if the 3rd kid is named Wesley, obviously the pattern doesn't work.

That does make sense but my first thought was The Princess Bride. (Yes, I know the character is named Westley.) Leslie and Ben were dressed as Buttercup and Westley for Halloween last season so it's not inconceivable.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. ;)

Okay, TPB jokes aside, that's very possible. I can also see Ben having a grandparent or something with that name.