Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: A Sin To Err

I'm really liking Agent Carter.  I'm kinda iffy on them expanding to a regular show as I would hate to see a drop off in quality.  The eps have all felt like they moved the story forward without a whole lot of dilly dallying or meandering.

Not really familiar with CMM's work, although his reputation for being douchetastic has hit my radar.  On the basis of this, he's not bad.  Appropriately smug and abrasive as one of the big boys in the office, taken down a bit on the field trip to Russia and smart enough to wait out back for Peggy's escape last night.  I was disappointed they did not show him with a swollen or bruised face after she KOd him.

I like AoS but don't wish for a trade off between the two shows.

• Love 1

Ironically, I think this episode might be the foundation for the men in the office having a greater respect for Peggy once she's cleared (of the stuff she didn't actually do, since let's face it she DID do some of it). She fought off a group of Washington agents, something even Thompson anticipated, and evaded a city wide hunt at least for a while. 

I was surprised by Dottie and the doctor, and surprised by the fact I was surprised. I should have seen it coming but I was wrapped up in the story they were telling enough I missed the reveal. 

Peggy being caught by her own tactics from her evil Russian counterpart was perfect.

• Love 3

I am on record as being anti-CMM, but I felt a little tingle in that scene with Thompson and Angie. He seemed pretty charmed by her, and when she fell into him sobbing about her Grandma and asked his grandma's name, and he got a little swoony faced and said, "Gam-Gam." I don't know...I kinda ship it now.

And, I even loved The Chad's flummoxed reaction when Angie began crying in Jack's shoulder.  And then the reveal that he calls his grandam "Gam-Gam", and Daniel's reaction to that.  Never knew that Daniel and Jack could be a potentially entertaining duo.

The scene with Angie cozying up to Thompson, and his rather endearing reaction, thinking of his "Gam-Gam," was as close as I've come to being charmed by the character, or by the Chad's performance. But Sousa's "Really? We're doing this now?" face made it art. Gjokaj is so great!
  • Love 9

What a fantastic episode! I'm sad that there's only two left now, but at the same time, as someone mentioned upthread, having only 8 episodes means no filler/all story. More shows should be like this. And I'm sure the ratings haven't been good enough to get them to spend the money on another season, but I'm not sure I'd want one. This show has been so great that I fear a second season couldn't live up to it and would inevitably be a letdown. :)

I liked how Peggy has only ever wanted respect from her co-workers and to be treated like an equal, but be careful what you wish for, because you'll get it… although not the way you may have intended! 

Also, in this episode, the wall separating the booths and tables and waitress from the automat machines made me fanwank that bizarre restaurant into a combination diner/automat. You can sit on the one side and have Angie wait on you and order from a menu (because Peggy was totally holding a menu at one point there), or just grab a tray and buy stuff out of the automat side. Best of both worlds! (Because otherwise that place makes NO sense at all)

As soon as Jarvis and Peggy went to check out the dancer I immediately remembered that Dottie had been introduced as a dancer and knew that was the one. But was that also Dottie in the opening scene with the Russians where she killed the guy who wanted out? (Again, be careful what you wish for!)

• Love 1

I am on record as being anti-CMM, but I felt a little tingle in that scene with Thompson and Angie. He seemed pretty charmed by her, and when she fell into him sobbing about her Grandma and asked his grandma's name, and he got a little swoony faced and said, "Gam-Gam." I don't know...I kinda ship it now.

Me, too, Carrie Ann! The second that happened, I yelled to my husband, "I'm officially on record as saying they're ending up together." He yelled back (we were watching in two different rooms), "You just want to clear the way for Peggy to end up marrying Sousa." And yes, so it is true. I'm not ashamed to admit it. :-)

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 4
But was that also Dottie in the opening scene with the Russians where she killed the guy who wanted out? (Again, be careful what you wish for!)

Yes. And she looked great in Black Widow getup!

Although I found the English accents a little hard to make out this week.

Just like everything on BBC America, I watch this with subtitles.

It was wonderful to see Peggy kick some ass at the Automat, and to see that Thompson expected her to do so. It would have been better had they not spoiled that scene for me by releasing it as a clip. Next week I will watch no promotional materials.

What was the secret message the Russian doc tapped out to Dottie? I missed it, and didn't realize I missed it until later. Was it the "Kill Peggy Carter" that was showed in the previews? If so, "Get Carter" would have been cooler - and way fewer letters!

What was the secret message the Russian doc tapped out to Dottie? I missed it, and didn't realize I missed it until later. Was it the "Kill Peggy Carter" that was showed in the previews? If so, "Get Carter" would have been cooler - and way fewer letters!

It was that and before that he said something about not being able to obtain the item yet.

I was surprised that she got caught at the end. I thought there was going to be an 'on the run" cliff-hanger till next season.  

That surprised me, too. But I guess they want more from this group of characters, since they have been developing them into more than caricatures of sexist men of the 40's.

I'm a little conflicted about Peggy putting FBI agents in the hospital. Sure, she has to be the hero against all odds -- and men in law enforcement are fair game -- but how far would she be willing to go against the establishment "because they wouldn't understand"? Shoot someone? Kick a puppy? And now that she's caught, she's willing to take time to explain things? 

I suppose Jarvis is a wanted man now, too. 

...But I'm sure they will all be friends when it's all said and done. I'm surprised Thompson (blonde agent) didn't try to reason with Peggy since they bonded during their life-and-death mission in Russia last week.. 

Still a really fun show, tho.

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1

Thompson's interaction with Angie and 'Gam-Gam' was really his best moment of the series. That and getting knocked out by Peggy.

I really do enjoy that Jarvis' method of getting the kid to go away was to bribe him. Why do I get the feeling he learned that from Howard?

• Love 3

Loved the ep! I'm happy Peggy finally got to beat up Thompson a bit. Poor Sousa :( Believe in Peggy!

Dottie's just plain wack-a-doodle.

I'm hoping that the Chief doesn't die. i've grown to like him, but if the psychologist who majored in mind control needs him to get to the weapons.

Poor Jarvis, it should be Howard gettin' slapped!

Line of the night was the "Ginger Rogers" comment by Jarvis. That had me laughing a good long while. I just watched part of an Astaire/Rogers movie the other day.

• Love 2

Well, I just have to ask, why doesn't the magic lipstick affect the person wearing it?

Lip primer, duh! (Just kidding.) In reality, you could only wear knock out lipstick for a very short amount of time before consuming some of it, even with a primer or other barrier. Unless of course there was some sort of antidote that you took first.

Or it's like Iocaine powder and you gradually build up an immunity...which was obviously not the case with Peggy.

Edited by Leia1979
  • Love 5

This week I both saw this episode and read the comic Operation S.I.N. #2, in which Howard Start looks more or less like TV Howard Stark but comic book (American) Peggy Carter looks like TV Dottie. And they both look a bit like Ginger Rogers. Dark Gates of the Abyss indeed.

For some reason it made my happy to hear Stalin mentioned by name in connection with Leviathan. The thing where they avoid calling Russia the Soviet Union was bugging me.

I could be wrong (again, heh), but I thought that it took a while for use of the name "Russia" to die out in the US; I couldn't say when calling it "the Soviet Union" gained currency. Anyway, I've been thinking of it as a deliberate choice in the writing to show that lag in popular language.

I love Peggy Carter this episode was great.

Everytime a commercial of AOS comes on I resent it even more, I'm not ready to say goodbye to myAgent Carter.

Every time the commercial for AOS comes on, where Skye says, "There is something terribly wrong with me", I keep saying, "Yeah, you can't act".

• Love 16

Ok that was SO Awesome.  Peggy Carter is one of my top 5 favorite Super Heroes of all time because this Woman IS a Super Hero.   I am still stunned all of this came from a character that was nothing more than a wispy memory to Protagonist Steve Rogers (whom I also love by the by).   This show has really made it clear that in terms of the incredible, Peggy's missions alongside Captain America were just the beginning.

It was interesting that Agent Thompson tried to reason with Peggy before trying to take her into custody and if nothing else it's clear he's developed a healthy respect for her abilities in combat situations.  Him leaning back with the gun saying "I told them they wouldn't be enough"  and he told Peggy if she was innocent to "come explain it to him."  

I was pleasantly suprised that Sousa let Peggy go in the Alley.   We had Kurminzkies speculation but this was the first time we had proof that Sousa harbors a soft spot for Ms.Carter.   And he asked her not to run.   It was just really nice to see how the relationships had developed between the characters.    I feel like he is the future Mr. Carter.

Chief Dooley scared me.  He looked like he was sitting on some barely contained RAGE.

Dottie has become a very formidable and somewhat unpredicatable villainess.   And her espionage with the Russian Psychiatrist is both intrigueing and chilling.   I was stunned when she kissed Peggy.

I am not an Angie fan.  I like that Peggy has both a work life and a personal life, I just find the work life much more interesting.   I was a little touched when Angie let Peggy in the window and Peggy assured her that she was innocent and Angie said "It should make a really interesting story someday" and Peggy said "Take care of yourself Angie."   It was so simple and uncomplicated and a little moving.

I can't believe this show is ending in 2 episodes.  I won't be watching Agents of Shield again, I gave up on the show in S1 and I'm not going back BUT if ABC will give me "Agent Carter" during the hiatus next season, for that reason alone I will hope AoS is renewed.

Amazing Episode.

• Love 3

Every time the commercial for AOS comes on, where Skye says, "There is something terribly wrong with me", I keep saying, "Yeah, you can't act".

Heh. I watched the flash before this show and now I really wonder what it would have been like if Malese Jow had been cast as Skye.

I am a little curious about the crazy hypnosis the Russian dude was doing. He was one of the people brought in in the initial scene with Dottie, right?

What a fantastic episode! I'm sad that there's only two left now, but at the same time, as someone mentioned upthread, having only 8 episodes means no filler/all story. More shows should be like this. And I'm sure the ratings haven't been good enough to get them to spend the money on another season, but I'm not sure I'd want one. This show has been so great that I fear a second season couldn't live up to it and would inevitably be a letdown. :)

Its not doing that badly  Its slightly less than Agents of Shield but still second place in its time slot.  Unfortunately that means NCIS is at 16 share,  Carter is at 4 share and  3rd place is at 1.5 share. 

I personally think Ac is way better than AoS

Edited by The Kings Foot
  • Love 1

Loving the series and this episode, but the Sousa in the alley scene wasn't doing it for me. Enver is what caused me to start watching, but Sousa's been kind of a let down. Either be an ally (as someone else mentioned, why didn't he go to Peggy privately first?) or do your job. Yeah, he can't outrun her, and he's not going to shoot her, but he could have tried to take her down. Granted he probably wouldn't have succeeded considering what happened to all the other agents, but he can be badass with the crutch. The way the scene went down, he just seemed kind of wishy-washy/ weak.

And I feel evil, but my favorite line of the episode was Jack's, "Crutch faster!"

This shows Thompson really did appreciate Carter's skills before now and maybe even before Russia. Thompson is just a realist and yes still a jerk, but a very smart good at his job jerk. I love how skilled the secondary characters are, except maybe hand to hand skills, in the past would have expected all these men to be stupid, bad at their jobs bigots but yes they are bigots but they are smart fairly good at their jobs more fleshed out humans.

AOC really got good this season so if you dropped you might want to check it out.

Agent Carter show that shows that are just as long as needed it the best way to get good art. Now to find a way to totally break the old set number of episode trap of TV. Yes Agent Carter might still have had a set number of episodes to do but this short time frame made it great.

I'm a little conflicted about Peggy putting FBI agents in the hospital.

I am betting it was for sprained wrists and some minor injuries, nothing life-threatening.Still, Dooley peeved because one of his agents seems to be a double agent and making other good agents look bad. He's not going to treat Peggy like a misunderstood secretary. She has transgressed several boundaries, at least in Dooley, Thompson and Souza's eyes. They aren't going to make her feel good about anything.

Can somebody explain the episode's title to me?

I found this, which might be relevant:

(From Wikipedia, entry on Nihlist cyphers)

"Clausen and Foote both wrote their plaintext in English, and memorized the 8 most frequent letters of English (to fill the top row of the checkerboard) through the mnemonic (and slightly menacing) phrase "a sin to err" (dropping the second "r"). The standard English straddling checkerboard has 28 characters and in this cipher these became "full stop" and "numbers shift"." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilist_cipher]

• Love 8

Loving the series and this episode, but the Sousa in the alley scene wasn't doing it for me. Enver is what caused me to start watching, but Sousa's been kind of a let down. Either be an ally (as someone else mentioned, why didn't he go to Peggy privately first?) or do your job. Yeah, he can't outrun her, and he's not going to shoot her, but he could have tried to take her down. Granted he probably wouldn't have succeeded considering what happened to all the other agents, but he can be badass with the crutch. The way the scene went down, he just seemed kind of wishy-washy/ weak.

Sousa is the weakest thing about this show for me. I mean, Thompson's a jerk, yeah, but at least he has personality. He feels more rounded and dynamic. I still have no idea what makes Sousa tick. Of course, maybe we'll find out, but so far, he feels like a stock character to me.

I still hope he's the surprising mole, but it's unlikely at this point.

Edited by FurryFury

And I feel evil, but my favorite line of the episode was Jack's, "Crutch faster!"

You really need to be a bit of an ass to say that and get away with it.  They laid the ground work for Thompson's assiness in the prior eps perfectly.

Crutch faster really was funny.

Also I rewatched last night and cmm had some great expressions directed at ember during the scene with Angie. Actually legit good work. If they renew I hope we get some more of this buddy cop business between the two of them because it works for me.

Edited by Shanna
  • Love 1

Actionmage . . . Herbie was a Sixties thing. In other news, that kid was adorable and creepy at the same time. I think Jarvis is at his best when he's over his proper head.

I recognized that kid from Shameless, where he plays Chuckie. He's the same way on that show.

now I really wonder what it would have been like if Malese Jow had been cast as Skye.

Argh!  Now I want it so badly, and it will never happen.  (Wait, they reboot everything these days.  Too soon for AoS?)

I can't wait for the DVD for this show to be released.  First, there had better be a ton of extras (and NOT just on the Blu-Ray edition, thank you very much) and second, everyone on my Christmas list will be getting them.

Shallow:  I was loving Peggy's pantsuit.

• Love 5

Shallow:  I was loving Peggy's pantsuit.

I was wondering how prevalent women in trousers were in the late 40s.  But if Peggy is going to kick a lot of ass, it makes sense for her to be coincidentally wearing something other than a skirt.

• Love 2

This!  I was so loving that she was allowed to wear a pantsuit.  Too often women on TV are shown wearing terribly impracticle skirts and worse, high heels, for everything.  It always bugs the crap out of me.  And that was a great  pantsuit.  I want it.

• Love 5

This!  I was so loving that she was allowed to wear a pantsuit.  Too often women on TV are shown wearing terribly impracticle skirts and worse, high heels, for everything.  It always bugs the crap out of me.  And that was a great  pantsuit.  I want it.

We need a Peggy Carter line of clothing. And hats. And shoes.

• Love 6
Can somebody explain the episode's title to me?

Here's an explanation from http://theinsightfulpanda.com/2015/02/11/declassified-agent-carter-a-sin-to-err/ :

You see, “A Sin To Err” is actually a variation of an old Soviet cipher phrase to translate lines of Code – much like Carter did last episode to understand the typewriter text. You see, “A Sin To Er[r]” is actually the code breaker based on the 8 most used letters in the English language – dropping the final R of course. So between the Russian/Leviathan offensive and deceitful tactics going on in this episode, you can see why such an episode title makes perfect sense.

Edited by bagert
  • Love 2

Ohh, I so knew Ivchenko was going to end up being a spy. They way they found him, and his story, was way too convenient and tidy. Knowledge of brainwashing or no, I would think Dooley would be more on his toes around a Russian defector prying into his homelife. Even drunk, I expected him to see through that, maybe he does and is just pretending. I'll be super disappointed if he falls for the bait as easily as Red Shirt New Guy did.

I figured Dottie was colluding with him because her sites kept drifting behind him to the wall. I don't know why she couldn't use a normal light though, I guess it made it more dramatic to be mounted on top of a sniper rifle. Or maybe she was supposed to kill him if he indicated he didn't have things under control?

Still don't buy Angie is just an aspiring actress. Fully expect her to come blast Peggy out of the SSR, or something. Peggy should have just smashed the vial when she had the chance, it's in more danger than ever of being stolen and used for churning out more super soldiers. I'm sad the owner of the Griffith was so easily steamrolled, and thought all that buildup of her defense of lady morals was going to end up giving Peggy an escape route. 

I wonder what happens to Jarvis's wife now that he was caught abetting a fugitive of justice? 

I hope a small part of Peggy enjoyed punching Thompson out.  I sure enjoyed watching it.

I knew the Russian shrink was a bad guy.  And I'm ready for Dottie to get hers.

I think seeing Peggy knock Thompson output was my fav part of the episode. And that is saying a lot the entire episode kicked ass!

• Love 1

I figured Dottie was colluding with him because her sites kept drifting behind him to the wall. I don't know why she couldn't use a normal light though, I guess it made it more dramatic to be mounted on top of a sniper rifle. Or maybe she was supposed to kill him if he indicated he didn't have things under control?

I think it was the only way she could get both magnification of what she's trying to see and flash the light for Morse Code at the same time.  She'd need the magnification to make sure that the doctor is looking at her and that Dooley isn't lingering somewhere and could see her signals.  If I'm not mistaken, she pulled the trigger to activate the lights, so I'm not sure it was even capable of firing shots.

• Love 3

Ohh, I so knew Ivchenko was going to end up being a spy. They way they found him, and his story, was way too convenient and tidy. Knowledge of brainwashing or no, I would think Dooley would be more on his toes around a Russian defector prying into his homelife. Even drunk, I expected him to see through that, maybe he does and is just pretending. I'll be super disappointed if he falls for the bait as easily as Red Shirt New Guy did.

I figured it was spy trade craft. Since snipers became among the military superstar class two decades ago many viewers know how they work. My first thought was why would she push all the way into the window?  Then it became clear, in case she was seen then Ivchenko's cover would still be secure since it would look like the Soviets were trying to cross him off and not communicate with him

Seeing Peggy kick the crap out of the feds while Jarvis stood watching nervously was the highlight of the episode. Peggy is so effortlessly badass and awesome, and her sidekick really is just there for comic relief and moral support. And also for holding doors closed.

Thompson being smart enough to know that Peggy would take care of those guys was a great character moment. He does respect her abilities, and seems to respect her as well. I liked the fact that both he and Sousa seemed more hurt than angry or embarrassed that a woman had gotten one over on them. But Thompson is the one who gets laid out, and Sousa still ends up looking the weaker of the two when Peggy just shuts his bluster down and walks away.

The scene with Thompson, Sousa and Angie was so much fun. Lyndsy Fonseca is absolutely lovely, and she wears the hell out of that waitress outfit (and all the other stuff she wears), but she's got great comic timing and warmth as well. Loved how uncomfortable Thompson and Sousa got when she started crying. "Oh god. Please don't... do that." I won't lie though, I was saying 'kiss her' when Peggy and Angie were saying their goodbyes.

The reveal of the doctor being part of Leviathan was cool. Definitely got strong Dr. Faustus vibes from him. Interesting that Leviathan and Hydra appear to be two different organisations. Leviathan is clearly Russian, and had a big hand in the Black Widow programme. I figure they were the ones behind the creation of the Winter Soldier too. And Dottie is such a serious and capable antagonist that I really hope she doesn't get killed off. The woman is chilling, and there's a sort of crazy intensity behind everything she does, even sitting still and quiet.

• Love 4