Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: A Sin To Err

I think the intention was for it to serve as a mid season break replacement for Agents Of SHIELD for as long as that stays on the air. The entire set up is as a package and something will have to get crazy expensive to produce or really tank in the ratings for one to go without the other.

I love how this show goes out of its way to demonstrate how competent each character is and how they totally do justice to their field of work. Peggy knowing she can take down three agents on her own while making Jarvis, a possible liability, an active tactical tool is awesome. Thompson being fully aware that Peggy could do all of this and catch her when she tried to run? Brilliant.

• Love 8

I saw a different promo on tv last night for this episode, an it had a little more of the Sousa-Peggy in the alley scene. All I noticed though is you could see someone on the ground behind Peggy, which I'm assuming is Thompson. I'm speculating that Peggy takes him out and then runs into Sousa. It'll be interesting to see how Peggy treats Sousa, if she tries to take him out too or if she tries to gain an ally.

• Love 1

I feel bad for Peggy. Perp walk through the lobby? Brutal. And she got taken out by her own lipstick. That stings like a bastard.

At least we'll have Howard's lady friends hurting Jarvis to keep us amused. That was funny . . . especially the one girl who got blocked by Peggy and still managed to get a kick in.

• Love 2

Poor Peggy, the stuff she has to deal with.

Really excellent episode, loved the fight scene with the other agents, but, could one or two of them have given her a bit more of a fight? I know Peggy's a badass, but there's room to go around.

Of course the Russian scientist guy is evil. Russian accents pretty much always evil, but I wonder if his flashbacks were true. Did he just embrace Leviathan?

Jarvis and the kid was hilarious, as were Sousa's and Jackson's reactions to Angie "crying". Love you Angie!  

• Love 3

At least we'll have Howard's lady friends hurting Jarvis to keep us amused.

We're going to have different takes, Lantern, which is okay. I just don't find Jarvis reaping for what Howard had sown that amusing. I did find it amusing that the jeweler was all '*sniff* It's the good stuff' as opposed to 'Yeah, he's a real American man! '  Dude was all about the green, morals be damned.

Yeah, Peggy having that Sweet Dreams boomerang was painful. ::offers Peggy some aloe::

"Don't go easy on her because she's a girl." Well, Peg, you got their respect?

The landlady over the wall cracked me up proper, though! Her complaining to Angie was fun too.

Speaking of Angie, I got scared that someone might confuse her for Peggy and shoot her. Then I got scared when she went to "Dottie's" room.

The little kid reminded me of Herbie  the Fat Fury, who had magical lollipops. The 40s were an interesting time in comics.

Was psychology so very discounted that even intelligence agencies would let an unvetted doctor just yak for however long to anyone?

I hope someone realizes that poor Younts is gone. That was almost Dooley. I hope Dooley appreciates that eventually.

And next week? This show!

• Love 1

Bridget Regan 2015: Being evil and kissing all the ladies.

Hee! Peggy talking earlier about how you miss and underestimate the ladies payed off on multiple levels.

Poor Peggy. I might have screamed no when the episode ended. I don't want this show to end and aos to come back. Loved how seriously everyone took Peggy after she kicked their asses.

I was reading the fug girls recap today and now I am hyper focused in all the men's ties. They are amazing and insane. Love it.

• Love 7

Why is TV trying to tell me that kissing Bridget Regan would be a bad thing? Sure she would probably be evil and might kill me. Fair trade off.

Poor Jarvis. I felt his pain. I too had a job that often made me person people(mostly women) would take their anger out on. Yet I still enjoyed the scene.

Liked the contrast in the alley with Peggy dealing with Thompson and Sousa. I do wonder why Sousa didn't try to confront Peggy with what he knew before he turned her in.

Well, Dottie definitely has her own method to stop sexual harassment. I have to admit the show did surprise me with the morse cde part. I thought for sure she was going to try to kill the scientist. Didn't think that he was really working with her.

Also glad that nothing happened to Angie when she went into Dottie's room.

• Love 1

This episode was just so good.  Agents of SHIELD improved over the second season, but I am really not looking forward to that show coming back because of how much I love Agent Carter right now.  I don't want it to end!

I'm glad that the gig is up, in terms of Peggy's sneaking around and Dottie being an assassin; now let's see where the chips fall.  Interesting to see the different ways Peggy handled Thompson (punch to the face) and Souza (trusted him not to shoot her).  And it was hilarious to see all the women beating up on Jarvis, especially the kick in the shin.

• Love 2

I really liked the beginning. Particularly Peggy and Jarvis working together. I liked when Jarvis was explaining Howard's talent for leaving and Peggy described it as "premature evacuation". 

I loved more Angie. and the boarding house lady was great tonight. "Men are not allowed above the first floor. Let me speak to your supervisor."

I thought the Russian doctor was interesting. 

Was Dottie trying to kill the Russian doctor or Dooley? I couldn't tell. I wish Carter had pointed out that Dottie was the Russian even if she was woozy from the lipstick when they were at the boarding house. 

Peggy is going to have a tough time explaining this to the SSR. She has more chemistry with Thompson, but I'm not ready to see her married yet. 

You got their respect now Peggy, just probably not the way you wanted it. 

I loved that Angie didn't think Peggy answered phones for a living, she looks way to boss for that. Angie saving the day by crying and making all the men uncomfortable. 

Peggy finding out she's been fooled by a woman doing the same things to her that she does to the men in her office was great. That's going to be one epic fight when they meet again, because come on you know it's going to happen. 

I also loved that Peggy got to beat up Thomson even though he had his I"m not that bad of guy scene last episode. He's still a jerk to any one he deems lower than him. So I'm glad he got taken out by a woman. 

Was Dottie trying to kill the Russian doctor or Dooley? I couldn't tell.

The Doctor and Dottie are working together, they were sending codes to each other. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

Did Peggy say "You're wearing my brand"? Because that was funny. I was so angry when they arrested her though! She'd done so well (with Angie's help), and then to be waylaid by Dottie! Aaargh! It's interesting and maybe a little ironic that if Peggy does help gound SHIELD, her experience of working almost as a mole within this agency is replicated years later by HYDRA.

• Love 1

Angie was great tonight, and showed how underused she has been in this series. She and Peggy bouncing off each other is like 1000x more interesting than Peggy and any of the dudes from her office. With that said, Angie's walk through Dottie's room at the end...I'm still not 100% convinced she's what she seems. Why would she be in Dottie's room otherwise? (Unless it was Peggy's room, but it looked not torn apart enough to be Peggy's.)

Liked the contrast in the alley with Peggy dealing with Thompson and Sousa. I do wonder why Sousa didn't try to confront Peggy with what he knew before he turned her in.

Sousa is pretty self-aware about his soft spot for Peggy, so I suspect he worried that she would successfully talk him out of turning her in (slash worried that she might take him out?).

This was a solid enough episode, but I felt like it should have been better than it was. I just don't care about Peggy's office hunting her; they were dicks to her for too long to make me invested in those "broken relationships," or make me want anything to happen but Dottie snapping their necks Black Widow style. Aside from Jarvis and Angie, the writing for the secondary characters has been a pretty big miss for me. Easily the most tense part of the episode was when we thought Dottie was going to kill the Russian guy but they communicated instead. THAT was a twist I didn't see coming; well done, show.

Where do I sign up to be Bridget Regan? Because goodness, she gets to kiss so many attractive ladies!

I was surprised that she got caught at the end. I thought there was going to be an 'on the run" cliff-hanger till next season.  But I'd really rather keep this show than get SHIELD back.

Add to me the list that was not amused by Jarvis getting Stark's just desserts.

Was psychology so very discounted that even intelligence agencies would let an unvetted doctor just yak for however long to anyone?

Yeah, psychology didn't so much as exist until later. At that point, it was pretty much Freud, Jung and Adler.  Most of the other theorists developed after the war.

What got me though is that they let a Russian hang around their offices like that since Russians were already not so trustworthy.

The worst part of the episode -- the accent of the actor playing the Russian psychiatrist.  It kept pulling me out of the scene to throw things at the TV. I worked with a Russian psychiatrist a few years ago and the TV accent was nothing like his.  (When David Nykl can do such a good Russian accent on Arrow, there's no excuse for this.).

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

God I absolutely love this show! I am beginning to miss Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, but I will be supremely pissed off if this doesn't get picked up for another season even if it's done the way it is now, as the hiatus filler from AoS.

• Love 5

Great episode.  This show gets better and better every week.  I'm glad this series is only 8 episodes as this has cut out so much filler and created a tighter, faster-paced storyline.  Not that I don't want it to be renewed of course.

Nice reveal with the Russian shrink.  Angie really came through for Peggy and Dottie continues to impress.  Good to get Peggy and Jarvis working together again.

• Love 2

This is my favorite show right now.   I love the rapport between Peggy and Angie.  I was surprised, too, to see Dottie and the Russian guy were working together.  I was waiting for him to get shot.  I'm not sure why Angie went into Dottie's room.  She tried to call her down for dinner, but then she went into her room.  I guess it was to show us that Dottie had cleared out.

• Love 1

The scene with Angie and the boys was gold. I adore her.

I am on record as being anti-CMM, but I felt a little tingle in that scene with Thompson and Angie. He seemed pretty charmed by her, and when she fell into him sobbing about her Grandma and asked his grandma's name, and he got a little swoony faced and said, "Gam-Gam." I don't know...I kinda ship it now.

• Love 9

So... since I don't watch Jane the Virgin, I'm assuming that judging from the comments, Bridget Regan also makes out with women and is kind of evil on that show as well.  Certainly worse roles to be typecast-ed in.  Still not sure if I more jealous of Bridget or Hayley Atwell for that kiss.  Ah, who am I kidding: it's totally both.  They really got some beautiful women with those two and Lyndsy Fonseca.

Speaking of which, glad Angie finally got to do something.  Loved that she covered for Peggy; the "crying" was hilarious.  I have to watch it again, because there was one point where Daniel was walking away during that moment, and it looked like Enver Gjokaj was trying not to crack up.  And, I even loved The Chad's flummoxed reaction when Angie began crying in Jack's shoulder.  And then the reveal that he calls his grandam "Gam-Gam", and Daniel's reaction to that.  Never knew that Daniel and Jack could be a potentially entertaining duo.

Too bad Angie's "performance" ended up no mattering, thanks to Dottie.  Peggy was done in by her own lipstick!  Sucks for her, but somewhere in the afterlife, Andre Royo's character is like "Yes!  How does it feel, Peggy?!"  Not sure what Peggy is going to do. Doesn't look like Daniel, Jack, or Dooley are in listening moods right now.

Poor Jarvis.  When you work for a complete man-whore like Howard Stark, you are going to be collateral damage, I'm afraid.  Although, that entire gang was a bit much at times.  I did like they at least had Peggy pretty much say that Howard wronged those women and they had the right to be angry, when Jarvis said something about them being "violent."  Because, seriously: Howard's entertaining, but he is kind of dick.

Curse you, Russian scientist!  I should have known you were working with Dottie!  And you even took Dum-Dum's bourbon!  That act alone means you should suffer!

I missed which celebrity/actress Jarvis suspected was a spy; about how she had darkness in her eyes or something to that nature.  I did love when he said that the Oscar season was apparently a busy time for Howard to do his thing.  Jarvis could make millions off of a tell-all book, I suspect.

• Love 4

Actionmage . . . Herbie was a Sixties thing. In other news, that kid was adorable and creepy at the same time. I think Jarvis is at his best when he's over his proper head.

Yeah, Herbie was later, but the kid reminded me of the comic.  My only exposure was a couple of "Ask Mr. Silver Age" columns in Comic Buyer's Guide.

Also, thanks,statsgirl, for the psychology info. Man, I guess folks think if you don't have a syringe or a scalpel, doctors aren't scary. ::shakes head:: They know things!

I missed which celebrity/actress Jarvis suspected was a spy

Miss Ginger Rogers!

Almost forgot: Not sure exactly how I feel about Predator Dentist dying by Dottie's hand/his own drill. On the one hand, evil perv who had, by his dialogue, abused women in a serial manner. But after the end scene  from Gotham last night and this guy tonight? Network TV? Leave the eyes alone!! Please!

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 3

I really don't know how Peggy is going to get out of this one with her life, let alone her job. (worried face).  The only thing that keeps me from hiding under the bed is the knowledge that she manages to survive and found and run S.H.I.E.L.D.

These showrunners must study in the Lois McMaster Bujold School of Plot - create a character, get us invested in him/her and do the worst thing possible.  Poor Peggy - she finally got to show her stuff, and start to earn the office's respect - and now this.  :(

• Love 2

Hey, guys, this is not the last episode.  Next week is.

Youch's favorite bar is called Filth's Pub?

That was Dottie's room Angie was going through.  Dottie has cleared out.

I still wonder if Dottie isn't a Peggy fangirl.

Oh, and btw, has anybody noticed that Russian guy is missing?

I am on record as being anti-CMM, but I felt a little tingle in that scene with Thompson and Angie. He seemed pretty charmed by her, and when she fell into him sobbing about her Grandma and asked his grandma's name, and he got a little swoony faced and said, "Gam-Gam." I don't know...I kinda ship it now.

I suddenly ship Angie and Thompson now, too. 

I managed to fear for the lives of both Dooley and Angie this episode. I was wondering if Angie was going to find a corpse under Dottie's bed. I also worried that Dottie was going to get Steve's blood. I'm glad she didn't.

Peggy was so badass this episode (and last episode). The "auto" part of the Automat was finally seen! Angie acts! Peggy knocks out Thompson! Knockout lipstick! I was so into this episode that I started yelling at my stupid DVR for glitching during the preview for next week (I was watching live, dammit!).

My only critique was a little too much of the Leviathan psychiatrist guy, both with Dooley and Youch. Those scenes could have been a little shorter.

ETA: I was also impressed that Angie caught on quickly. You know that dig about Peggy's male coworkers was directed at Souza and Thompson.

Edited by Leia1979
  • Love 4

Yeah, psychology didn't so much as exist until later. At that point, it was pretty much Freud, Jung and Adler.  Most of the other theorists developed after the war.

What got me though is that they let a Russian hang around their offices like that since Russians were already not so trustworthy.

So I knew someone who was drafted in WW2 as a psychologist. It was a relatively new field at the time and the army considered imperative to have as many psychologists as they could.  He was drafted to be a psychologist despite not being in top physical shape. 

I don't think it was so much discounted as much as not well understood. It was beginning to be offered in colleges (not just Ivy league), but not every school had one. I'm sure what the backgrounds would be of the men at SSR and how much they would know. 

People probably saw psychologists/psychiatrists, (the Russian in my understanding is the latter) as doctors and people tend to trust doctors. Also Dooley started drinking on the job which probably impaired his judgment and was unprofessional. I'm not sure why psychologists started being consistent candidates for villains in shows. I agree they should have trust him less, because he was Russian, even if he did save one of their guys lives.

I reminded of Anson on Burn Notice (also the bank robber episode where Michael tells people he's a doctor.) I also reminded of Beverly Barlow on Eureka. Both of these shrinks were trusted only to turn out to be villains. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

It was the strangely affectionate head patting and the Gam-Gam revelation. Suddenly, Thompson and Angie has to happen. Dooley, Thompson, and Sousa obviously, eventually come aboard Team Peggy and after all the shit goes down, Thompson asks, hey, Peggy ol' pal, so your friend Angie.....

• Love 3

I actually wouldn't be against Jack/Angie, because I do think, in her own way, Angie would not put up with some of Jack's less then stellar traits, but she would do it in a way where it doesn't become as hostile as it can be when Peggy and Jack get on each others' nerves.

Of course, I ain't making any predictions, because who knows what the hell will happen, and who might not even be around at the end. When Angie showed up at Dottie's apartment, I was relived when it ended up being to discover she left, because I was getting worried she was going to find something bad, and then Dottie was just going to pop out of nowhere, and.... well, don't you dare do anything to Angie, show!

• Love 2

It's only fitting that Peggy was taken down by a woman. I would never accept anything different.

The way things are going I really dread that either Sousa or Thompson... or Angie will be killed of before the season's end. I'm also not looking forward to the Agents of SHIELD which, frankly, bore me to tears. I need more Peggy or at least a promise of a second season.

Next episode looks intense ;)

• Love 6

Actionmage, on 10 Feb 2015 - 7:17 PM, said: 

statsgirl, on 10 Feb 2015 - 9:07 PM, said:

There was a Gregory Peck movie where he played an Army psychiatrist during WWII Captain Newman M.D., dealing with shellshocked servicemen also starrikng Tony Curtis and Angie Dickinson. Bobby Darrin was nominated for an Oscar. It was mentioned in that biopic of Darren by Kevin Spacey.

I was suprised by the kiss almost as much as Peggy!

Edited by VCRTracking

Me too. That scene was adorable actually in all ways and us want Lyndsey to have more to do. They could work. Not that the show really had time for romance as is which is cool too but man, I hate seeing those aos commercials and knowing it will be back instead.

Actionmage, on 10 Feb 2015 - 9:17 PM, said:

What he was doing wasn't psychology, it was hypnosis of some type.

• Love 2