Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: The Trash And The Snake

So how many episodes is this for Wynn Duffy ending up covered in someone else's blood? I gotta say, Jake Busey's demise tickled me to no end. I guess it was the unexpectedness of it.

Loretta! I should've known. If it involves weed in Kentucky, she's going to be somewhere around it. Ol' Markham knew enough to check the 'Apple Pie', though.

• Love 7

Loretta is the realest. That is all. ;)

For real, Ava could learn a lot from her. Loretta could hang better with Katherine, for sure. Mags really came the hell through with investing in Loretta, didn't she, knowing that her useless sons sure weren't going to be her criminal legacy?

I'm not even sure where to start commenting on everything else that happened in this episode. What a great one.

Edited by mattie0808
  • Love 4

Very good episode.  Legal weed in Kentucky is a good storyline for them this season.  Great to see Loretta return and I have to say I'm disappointed she wasn't actually trying to poison Walker.  This week, Sam Elliot gets to be awesome with TO and we get another great scene.

I usually don't go all "Give this guy an Emmy", but I will seriously be pissed if Sam Elliot isn't at least nominated for Guest Actor.  I say this on a completely positive level, that Avery just automatically scares and creeps me out, whenever he shows up.  And, he barely raises his voice or anything.  I'm actually afraid for Loretta, because he (and Ty) would totally off her, without a second thought.  Age doesn't seem like that would stop them at all.  I can not wait to see what they are going to do next.

It was great seeing Loretta and Dickie Bennett again.  Even if this is the last of them, I'm glad they got final moments.  Also, I'm always for them finding a way to bring Mags' name up again.  Man, what I would give to have seen a Avery/Mags face-off.  And, judging from the previews, more familiar faces may be showing up next week!

I kind of love that the entire Wynn/Boyd plot seem like it was basically the filler portion of the episode.  I'm not sure if anything really came out of it outside of Jake Busy blowing himself up, but the Boyd/Wynn team is always a treat.  And, of course, they got covered in blood, and acted annoyed instead of disgusted or anything.  This really isn't anything new for them.

The Katherine/Ava scenes were something to behold.  Ava is right that Katherine probably totally knows that she is up to something.

Glad for more Raylan/Tim.  At the very, very least, some showrunner should get Jacob Pitts to play a wisecracking, snarky cop on their show.  He could probably make the blandest procedural cop show ten times more awesome.

• Love 5

This episode was simply chock full of awesome. That scene with Dickie Bennet was gold. Jeremy Davies is incredible. Loretta! Apple Pie! So much incredible dialog. Everyone is bringing their A-game to this final (sniff) season.  

• Love 3

I know I'm wrong to laugh at somebody being killed in such a manner, but that exit just gave me the giggles.  Boyd and Wynn looking at each other, "It's not my cell phone."

I don't see the efficiency of putting so much work into buying up large parcels of land from  unwilling landowners for the  potential use as pot cultivation.  Surely there are parts of Kentucky where people would be falling over themselves to sell off some land.  What makes Harlan County so attractive?

I know I'm wrong to laugh at somebody being killed in such a manner, but that exit just gave me the giggles.  Boyd and Wynn looking at each other, "It's not my cell phone."

I laughed for a long, long time at this.  It was just like last season when Boyd blew the guy up with his cigarettes--so unexpected and so hilarious.

• Love 2

I've been rewatching previous seasons because I am all bummed out that this show is going off the air, and this episode is another example of this season really tying together previous seasons. On the one hand, I've been shocked about how cavalier Raylan can be about Ava's safety, but on the other, I keep thinking back to this (oddly funny) conversation he has with Drew Thompson- he separates himself from Thompson and it is a great encapsulation of how Raylan views the world. Then with Loretta, it's clear he's trying to keep her on the right side of that line.

Also, pretty sure Markham was needling him about not knowing any Givens family members. The man knows everything about Raylan and Harlan- and I think he knows that Arlo is a touchy topic with Raylan.

As for Ava, you in danger, gurl.

• Love 7

This episode was just filled to the brim with awesomeness. I love how they`re bring so many characters back, and making so many references to the past. Dickie! Loretta! The Bennet/Givens feud! Apple pie moon shine! And it looks like even more for next week. They must have been saving Sam Elliot for the last season on purpose, because he was freaking made for this show. Just so calm and threatening. The Katherine/Ava scenes were all great. Ava isn't a lady I would want to screw with, but Katherine is scary. 

I need to re-watch, there is so much great dialogue, I feel like I`m missing stuff. 

• Love 6

I did feel that a lot of the previous seasons were kind of set off on their own. They had different characters who didn't necessarily seem to interact all that much so it's great to see them tie it all together this last season. I'm really hoping Loretta makes it out okay.

• Love 1

Having characters from previous seasons turn up for the final run could be really cheesy, but here, it makes this world feel more real. This is a small place where people have known each other all their lives and are bound to run into each other. I love it. But I'm scared for many of them.

What a fantastic episode.

P.S. Poor Ava

Edited by justmehere
  • Love 3
I usually don't go all "Give this guy an Emmy", but I will seriously be pissed if Sam Elliot isn't at least nominated for Guest Actor.

I'm feeling the same about Mary Steenburgen.  She is making Katherine Hale one scary-ass lady.  And without Botox.

• Love 8

Can anyone tell me what calling someone a peacock means as an insult

Peacocks are beautiful birds, but to be called one is to be called a flashy, obnoxious showoff, plus on this show, there's probably a play on the last 4 letters of the word.

If you've never been around real peacocks, they're indeed gorgeous but loud and annoying. So the insult fits.

• Love 1

Dickie and Loretta - so so good.  Old home week at Justified.  Their presence, unlike Dewey's (his release was BS  IMO), are a good fit for this story line.

Mags shows up via the apple pie cider.  As bad ass as Ty is - Mags would have killed him. 

We're four episodes in and all I can say is that all is forgive for Season 5's short comings. 

This is the Raylan I love - sarcastic, tough, but cares about people other than Raylan.  The Boyd I love with his constant shifting to that one plan that's going to make everything perfect and get him that Dairy Queen franchise. Tim at his sarcastic best, Art being his snarky best but pulling Raylan up short when he needs it. Dickey Bennett being the asshole he always is, the consistency of Lauretta's character....  Wynn Duffy and those eyebrows... They're hitting all the best notes so far.

Sam Elliot is scaring the hell out of me as is Mary Steenburgen. I'm as scared as Ava at this point. 

Can't wait for next week.

• Love 8
It was great seeing Loretta and Dickie Bennett again.  Even if this is the last of them, I'm glad they got final moments.  Also, I'm always for them finding a way to bring Mags' name up again.  Man, what I would give to have seen a Avery/Mags face-off.  And, judging from the previews, more familiar faces may be showing up next week!

I never thought anyone could equal Mags Bennett as my favorite Justified villain, but Avery is getting close.  I would sell my soul for a Mags/Avery face off.  

• Love 1

We're four episodes in and all I can say is that all is forgive for Season 5's short comings. 

I'm starting to feel this way too but Season 5 scarred me a little too much for me to trust them yet.  But the abundance of Tim so far has almost made up for the lack of Tim last season.  Almost.

I never thought anyone could equal Mags Bennett as my favorite Justified villain, but Avery is getting close.  I would sell my soul for a Mags/Avery face off.  

I don't think I'll ever be able to watch Tombstone the same again.  I've never been afraid of Sam Elliot until last night but if that had been me I would have caved the moment he came through the door and just given him the land for free just to get rid of him.

Hmm, I'd take a night in a king sized bed with egyptian cotton sheets, ice cream, cable and Boyd Crowder anytime.  Just saying.  His heart is going to shatter into a million little pieces when he finds out about Ava playing him.

What a great episode! I really liked the symmetry between this and last week's episode, in that once again, Avery Markham shat on a young upstart from Harlan Country, in this case, Raylan, and took him to school.  Boyd and Raylan are two sides of the same coin, so of course they'd feel smug about taking the man down.

I'm sorry, but in HD, Mary Steenburgen's face looked pulled about 6 ways to Sunday. I really thought that at one point during their coke fueled girls day out, she was going to pull Ava in for a kiss, but then I remembered I wasn't watching Sons of Anarchy.

Also, I'm surprised that Boyd knows about Sex Wax for surfing, but not about Negronis.  Note to Wynn Duffy, they are deliciously bitter, but they don't taste like grapefruit.

• Love 8

Also, pretty sure Markham was needling him about not knowing any Givens family members. The man knows everything about Raylan and Harlan- and I think he knows that Arlo is a touchy topic with Raylan.

I took it the other way -- as an insult.  "Your daddy was small potatoes and so are you". 

I worried for Ava when Raylan showed up at the motel.  They couldn't have had that conversation on the phone? 

• Love 3
Thank you, Tim, for correcting Calhoun on Occam's razor before I could.  This is why I love you.

Yeah but I loved Calhoun's retort, "Thor's Hammer!"

As much as I love Tim, the wise-cracking is getting to be a bit much for me.

I loved seeing Dickie again but I've probably got an unpopular opinion that I never warmed up to Loretta.  I never liked her surliness when Raylan (or anyone else for that matter) tries to help her.  She just bugs.

Also, as threatening as Avery is, Sam Elliott's lack of a top lip makes it hard for me to even look at him.  Seriously.

The best part of the show was Wynn Duffy getting blood all over him, once again.  I just love the lack of expression on his face.

This show is awesome and really going out on a high note.  

• Love 1

I'm ashamed to say that I laughed like heck at the Wynn/Boyd exploding safecracker scene.  I backed the scene up and laughed at it again, too.

I yelled again? at my tv and started to laugh.  Man, they must have a great dry cleaner.

Ok, I must have missed it somewhere along the line.  Did Mags leave everything to Loretta?  I'm confused as to where Loretta got the money to buy the Bennett land.  I would appreciate it if someone could help me out on that.

• Love 1

I'm ashamed to say that I laughed like heck at the Wynn/Boyd exploding safecracker scene.

I laughed to.

Boyd/Wynn, and Raylan/Tim were hilarious.

If Ava wants to save her own ass, she needs to turn on both Boyd and Raylan, and do it ASAP.

• Love 1

Also, as threatening as Avery is, Sam Elliott's lack of a top lip makes it hard for me to even look at him.  Seriously.

He looks so very much like the Grinch to me without the mustache, and once I thought it, I couldn't unthink it.

• Love 6

Yep, he did the same thing he did to Boyd-  " you still look small and are playing Pre-tend"

I buy that. I couldn't figure out if Avery's angle was "who even *are* you?" or the small potatoes one. Just another reason I love this show.

Also, I think Boyd is onto Ava. He just hasn't decided what to do about it. I'm surprised he was casually discussing her lunch with Hale- he knows how dangerous Hale can be. Every other character is doing exactly what you'd expect of them-- Boyd is going for the big score, Raylan is drawing lines in the sand, Dickie is a dummo, Loretta is smart-alecking her way into a dangerous situation. Ava is the one character who is unpredictable- really curious to see what happens with her (which is a big contrast to last season, when I wanted to skip all prison scenes).

Edited by asha
  • Love 1

He looks so very much like the Grinch to me without the mustache, and once I thought it, I couldn't unthink it.

I posted this in another thread, but I feel the same about him looking like the turtle in Finding Nemo. I can't not see it anymore.  It's that upper lip, and the droopy eyes.

ae28274a9c8856cdfd70566944438a2c870047e4

• Love 11

Ok, I must have missed it somewhere along the line.  Did Mags leave everything to Loretta?  I'm confused as to where Loretta got the money to buy the Bennett land.  I would appreciate it if someone could help me out on that.

Yeah, she has Mags's money. Raylan told her he wouldn't go after it as long as she didn't have Van Halen play her birthday party, and she asked if she looked like a Van Halen fan.

"Look: it's good that you have goals." Made me die. Because 1) true; 2) TO's delivery had that awesome combo of impatience, irritation and admiration; 3) Loretta is everything awesome ever.

I shrieked into my throw pillow when Wiz became multitudes. That Burns and Goggins could keep a straight face being showered in goo AGAIN is amazing.

I remember hearing that Katherine's Clinton joke back in the day, so points for historicity. On the other hand, Hillary didn't spend any time in Arkansas until she was already with Bill, so the idea that any former boyfriend of hers was a backwoods boy (as opposed to some Yalie) is nonsense, and has always ruined my appreciation of the joke. (Yes, perhaps that's overthinking. On the other hand, jokes should be well constructed.)

• Love 7

I'm not a cartoon watcher but does Sam Elliot's face look a lot like the Grinch?  When Elliot sat at the table and looks up at Boyd and "smiles."

The Hillary joke sort of threw me off the story line - looked like they tried to force a fit to get that in.  Everyone knows she's not from Arkansas but that's always been one of the supporters arguments that she "sacrificed" by going to Arkansas and she's due the presidency. 

• Love 2

Thinking about this episode, it seems like we now have three players in the hunt for Weed in Harlan Country. Avery, Boyd and Loretta.  This should prove very interesting. I wonder if Loretta and Boyd would ever team up?

Can someone explain this part to me?  I've watched it a couple times now and I still don't get it...  When Raylan and Tim are talking to Dickie, Raylan asks him, "You were so hot to start a feud with me that had long since ended, you sold your ancestral land to Loretta McCready?"

What does the Raylan/Dickie feud have to do with Dickie selling his land?  Or how does selling his land restart the feud?  If there are dots to connect from one thing to another I'm not seeing them.  I feel like they hastily wrote something that didn't make sense just to bring Dickie back--or cut out part of the scene.

• Love 1

I don't see the efficiency of putting so much work into buying up large parcels of land from  unwilling landowners for the  potential use as pot cultivation.  Surely there are parts of Kentucky where people would be falling over themselves to sell off some land.  What makes Harlan County so attractive?

I'm thinking the land has oil or other resources (coal?) or a road is coming thru?

Also, I think peacock was meant as a gay slur?

The motivation isn't making a lot of sense to me yet either, but I'm trusting the writers on this for now.  It might have to do with the soil quality in Harlan County, and/or Avery's political muscle in state, which could end up giving him a virtual monopoly on pot cultivation.  As long as we keep seeing the kinds of tensions that S6 has given us so far, I won't worry about this aspect too much!

• Love 2

Fanwanking here but maybe Harlan County was his last stop and he already bought off the rest of Kentucky.  Or it's really the Bennett land he's after since they already grew weed and he knows it's fertile--everyone else's land may be a bonus and he's so insistent on getting it because he just doesn't like being told 'no'.