Type keyword(s) to search

Jon Stewart Is Leaving The Daily Show

There was an item in the NY Times that Brian Williams seriously campaigned for the post-Jay Leno "Tonight Show" slot.

I wonder if Jon just doesn't want to go through Clinton vs. Bush again. Talk about deja vu.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see Aasif Mandvi try out. I wonder if we will get some guest hosts before a final decision is made.

• Love 1

I bet Olbermann would salivate for it....

Which I don't advocate, mind you; I've never seen him do an adversarial interview. (Plus, he'd probably put Jon's 'I'm a bad employee' comment to shame.)

• Love 1

I find myself wondering if they might rename @midnight to something without a time reference, put that at 11, and solve the problem that way.

They could still give Wilmore an hour that way too--he'd simply be from 11:30 to 12:30.

Of course CC is run by suits, who in the nature of such are capable of enormous stupidity.  While the idea of moving Hardwick and @midnight to another time isn't bad, what I fear would be some other move where they'd instead leave @midnight right where it is, but ALSO give Hardwick and his annoying ass a talk show slot before it.  If anyone could talk their way into two shows per night on the same network (taping one early in the morning and one late afternoon maybe).  Ugh. I shiver at the thought (that they'd mistake @midnight's success as being due to Hardwick and not the strong concept).

Edited by Kromm

I don't see why CC would give up the TDS brand or timeslot for Wilmore or @midnight.  TDS will continue with a new host (not Brian Williams) until the point where it's no longer pulling in ratings.  Stewart is the name people associate most with TDS, but he isn't even the original host, so he's definitely not taking the show with him.

• Love 1

Assuming they keep the schedule the same and simply replace the host...

Well, while they decide that, about five million articles will appear theorizing who can fill the chair.  At least a million of those will appear this week, no doubt.

Here's one of them:  Jon Stewart quits The Daily Show: Who can replace 'fake news' icon?

Some predictable names on that list, but a few unusual ones too.  Mulaney?  The writer is probably on crack for suggesting him.  But Chris Rock?  That could be interesting.  And Paul F Tompkins?  That's actually a totally genius idea.

What about W. Kamau Bell? "Totally Biased" was a great show that wasn't given a chance on FX, let alone on FXX.

I loved Totally Biased, and think Bell could be a great fit. Tina Fey is another strong possibility. I'll throw another name in the ring: John Fugelsang. Anyone who still misses his Current TV program knows that he's more than amply displayed that he can host a news/interview show. He's as smart and funny as Jon.

There's no one currently on staff I'd like to see hosting. Jessica has been great, but doing great field pieces and being a great anchor are two different jobs. She's extremely talented, but that doesn't mean she's suited for everything. As for Ollie, judging by what he said about liking the fact that the HBO gig means that he has total control and doesn't have to interview celebrities about their latest movie, it doesn't sound like he'd want TDS.

Still processing the fact that Jon's leaving...

• Love 1

Just throwing another name out there: Tina Fey. She has Weekend Update experience and Republicans already hate her.

Great idea, but I think she'd never do it.  She's too happy producing TV shows and (mostly) not appearing on camera anymore (except to promote her shows).

What I wouldn't be surprised to see happen is that Larry Wilmore is given the chance to take over The Daily Show and they scrap The Nightly Show.  Then one of the other names that they are courting can develop their own unique show for the 11:30pm timeslot.  It's a better facesaver for Larry then having to massively revamp The Nightly Show, which is what I think he's going to need to stay on the air in a year.

My husband pointed out to me that this is probably the best time to bring in a new host. After all, crazy presidential election cycle is so ripe for comedy and satire it'd be easy for someone to slide right in. Of course, my counter point is that if the person sucks, it's going to be unbearable.

Also we both realized together that things always go to shit when TDS is on break. What if it's more related to Jon Stewart and the world falls apart because he left TDS. Just looking at Ukraine/Russia; IS; the crazy deja presidential election we have going on; Israel/Palestine; etc...

I find myself wondering if they might rename @midnight to something without a time reference, put that at 11, and solve the problem that way.

Hardwick also has AMC Talking Dead to supplement his overexposure.

What I wouldn't be surprised to see happen is that Larry Wilmore is given the chance to take over The Daily Show and they scrap The Nightly Show.  Then one of the other names that they are courting can develop their own unique show for the 11:30pm timeslot.  It's a better facesaver for Larry then having to massively revamp The Nightly Show, which is what I think he's going to need to stay on the air in a year.

Well, if Wilmore is struggling at 11:30, promoting him to TDS host is not a strong business move.  They could cancel The Nightly Show tomorrow and not be worried about it, but The Daily Show is a much bigger brand to gamble with.

I can't participate in the who-should-replace-Jon-sweepstakes, not yet. I don't even really want to read the speculation.

I have been a fan for so many years. Last night I found myself hauling out my collection of magazines featuring Jon Stewart (yes, I am *censored* years old going on 16), my two scripts I managed to snag after tapings, one with Jon doodles in it, and made sure my two DS baseball caps were still where they usually are. It felt a little like going to your kid's room and mooning over stuff after they have left for a year abroad, or some such thing.

As a New Yorker, I have had many opportunites to indulge my crush. I have been to many, many tapings, several in the old studio which became Colbert's. I got to ask a few questions. Among others outings, I saw Jon do stand-up once in Ct. and once in Red Bank, NJ. I learned that I prefer Daily Show Jon to the edgy stand-up personailty. Way back when "America" came out, I went to a marvelous evening at Symphony Space featuring Jon, Sam Bee, Colbert, and others who I don't even remember. I went to see Martin Short's Broadway show when I learned Jon would be the "special guest" for the evening. There was The Rally. And there was even one day when I did a taping in the afternoon and went to the Y to watch him be interviewed by Terry Gross that evening, and bought my 2nd copy of "Earth" so that I could get in line for a signing (face to face!!!). I also saw him on the street a number of times when he lived in my neighborhood. My, I was nonchalant.

Jon is so funny and so brilliant, but the most important thing is the heart. When I felt like the world had gone mad and got infuriated for the umpteenth time at some politician or newsman, something about this man would make me climb out of the crazy tree. He often made me feel that the world was OK after all. I will miss that so very much.

I have not indulged much in posting here, but did it a great deal on TWoP.  I loved the back and forth about the show. We all cheered when EmporerJon (who has a new moniker here) finally got to NY and went to a taping and even got to ask a question. I saw a recent post from happybumblebee, who has been posting forever too, and attica. All bonded together by our appreciation of Jon Stewart.

I will miss the whole darn thing.

Edited by UnderCover
  • Love 12

Well, if Wilmore is struggling at 11:30, promoting him to TDS host is not a strong business move.  They could cancel The Nightly Show tomorrow and not be worried about it, but The Daily Show is a much bigger brand to gamble with.

Bingo.

I'd say this works out in such a way that Wilmore's CURRENT job at Nightly is slightly safer than before, because they won't want to transition two shows at once. But that's not the same thing as moving him.  He ain't got a chance at that happening.  There's a risk they might want to totally wipe the slate totally clean and reboot the whole lineup, but it's far more likely they'll want to only change the one piece they have to at this point.

I DO still think however of the possible out-of-left-field notions that moving and renaming @midnight is the only one at least possible.  Other than the nightmarish possibility of them actually giving Hardwick another show, a talk show, at 11 or 11:30--which would be the result of CC totally misunderstanding why @midnight is a success. But far more likely is them getting some big name to simply take TDS, as is, and leave everything else as is for now.  Oliver and Colbert have much better gigs now, so they'd likely go totally outside the current circle of people (which is why an idea like Chris Rock is actually kind of intriguing--I mean he'd work where W. Kamau Bell failed, because Rock, as loud as he gets, always had a twinkle in his eye that didn't scare the white folk.  So he can be opinionated without scaring the masses.

I don't post much but this forum (here and on TWoP) has been a regular stop for me on my interweb travels for many years.  I actually followed Craig Kilbourne from ESPN to TDS (back when I watched too much sports) but was happy to have Jon replace him.  I knew Jon only from some appearances on Letterman and the Larry Sanders show but I liked him, and he's turned out to be one of the best things on TV,  Losing him and Dave in the same year - ouch.  But maybe now I'll have time to listen to the audiobook of Doris Kearns Goodwin's Lincoln book.

As for who should replace him, I hope the powers that be go for someone on their way up, like Jon was.  (Certainly not someone like Dennis Miller, who should be on his way out and getting closer to hell.)  Like Jon said, the show deserves a fully engaged host.  Let's hope there's another voice out there that can do the show justice.  In the meantime, this sucks.

• Love 1

This story about how Jon helped Elizabeth Warren through her first TDS interview (I had no idea how terrified she was) made me already miss him:

http://www.vox.com/2015/2/11/8017993/jon-stewart-elizaeth-warren-daily-show

Reading this just made me tear up all over again. Ugh. I don't think many other hosts would do that or even think of doing that TBH and this is making me more upset. I already miss him too, and he's not even gone.

• Love 1

And Paul F Tompkins?  That's actually a totally genius idea.

I hope not. Tompkins already has a fake news show except it airs on Fusion so its not as well-known as it should be. It's a parody of panel shows except all his guests are Muppets. Look for clips, its called "No, You Shut Up" I'd hate to see that show end before my cable company gives in and starts carrying Fusion.

It's unlikely but I'd totally on board for dropping The Daily Show and spending as much money as necessary to bring "No, You Shut Up" to CC. The clips are so good (though I wonder if full episodes might drag.)

I'll throw another name in the ring: John Fugelsang.

Oh, god, yes. Fugelsang has done his own YouTube clips that are very much in the current style of TDS, overall he's a great comedian and his time hosting a Current show was great.

I'll miss him but understand why he's leaving.  It has to be draining watching the current political situation in the US turn into a theatre of the absurb play.  That alone would slowly drain any positive feelings that you may have towards the process and its participants on both sides.  Sooner or later, cynicism becomes your default reaction to most political developements.  As much as I would have liked to see him cover the 2016 election, his timing is for the best.  He can leave on a high note and give his replacement time to find their own voice. 

My first memories of watching TDS with Jon was during the 2000 election with my mother, whose reaction after voting was I cancelled your father's vote for Bush out along with all the dead people still on the rolls in Chicago.  TDS's election coverage was always must see, even during the Dempocalyses.  His reaction when GWB was reelected in 2004 was heartbreaking.  I think it captured many people's feelings about WTF is going on in this country.  He's been a voice of reason in contrast to the Tea Party and Fox News, which will be sorely missed. 

• Love 2

Victor the Crab said:

(* Being a Canadian, I'd throw my two cents in for Rick Mercer. But that will never happen. Mercer has stated, more than once, that he doesn't like being bound to a desk, like Jon has done, and would rather be out in the public.Plus, he likes being a voice of conscience in Canada, which he'd lose were he to move south of the 49th.)

I thought of Rick, too.  But I like him here in Canada; I like how he shows all of the wonderful things that go on in this country that I'd otherwise be unaware of.  (Similar to the late lamented Peter Gzowski's "Morningside").  So I think TDS will have to find another insanely talented comedian in the US...  :)

I thought Jon handled his announcement with style and class, and his question on tonight's show ("Did I die?") made me chuckle. 

I like the idea of Tina Fey as a host.  If for no other reason than it might be time for a woman in the all-boys club.

I'd also like to suggest Craig Ferguson.  His talk show was really off-the-wall, and he was/is a really bright guy.  Any one who can talk about impressionist art one night and modern literature the next and send me running to Google to learn more is a bright guy.  He's also a good interviewer.  The only problem with Ferguson is that he isn't one to sit inside a pre-defined box.  But he might be interested.

I'd also like to suggest Craig Ferguson.  His talk show was really off-the-wall, and he was/is a really bright guy.  Any one who can talk about impressionist art one night and modern literature the next and send me running to Google to learn more is a bright guy.  He's also a good interviewer.  The only problem with Ferguson is that he isn't one to sit inside a pre-defined box.  But he might be interested.

I wonder.  His syndicated talk show falling apart could be a blessing in disguise.

He's contracted for the dumb game show, but the good thing about that is (while it's probably exhausting), there's nothing topical about the gameshow and they can batch make the future episodes the same way they did the initial run of them.

He'd be a strange pick in that he doesn't consider himself an intellectual, but occasionally takes on those subjects regularly anyway. One only has to see his famous interview with Desmond Tutu to see how (at least) the Interview portions of a Ferguson Daily Show would work.

http://youtu.be/xj_l3KV3RVs?list=PL02727B5E4B21F9B0

If Craig Ferguson becomes the new TDS host, will Geoff Peterson become a correspondent for the show?

We can pray this is the case.

Actually I'd been thinking Secretariet myself.  But in the past day I've replaced both possibilities with Left Shark.  Left Shark is Viral now, so he'd make a great splash.

R7XZbin.gif

• Love 2
Then there are people like Jay Leno who set the bad example of what happens when you cling to something for too long.  Sure, some people miss him, I'm sure, but he lost the respect of nearly all of his peers because he couldn't recognize it was time to do something else.  

I don't like this news.  I selfishly want Jon to spend some time with me via the TV every night, but I have a lot of respect for his reasoning and am just grateful he didn't take a powder as soon as he could afford to do so.  The writing has been on the wall here since he moved to New Jersey and you can't actually employ a time machine to get back to the time your kids were young.  Plus, his kids also have some of the pressures of being the children of a famous man to face, which while not some great hardship, is also not the easiest row to hoe.  

Yes, most parents have to work a forty hour week at least, but if they financially had the freedom to decide to pursue a passion vs. employment, I have a feeling a lot more of them would be working on novels, plays, etc.  Particularly people drawn to the performing arts.

I pretty much agree with this entire post except the Jay Leno part. I am not a fan of Leno-he was always a pale imitation of the great Johnny Carson-but he clearly loved what he did. I think a better comparison would be David Letterman. His burn out has been apparent for several years now.

I don't like the decision JS has made to leave, but I respect it. My choice for host would be Lewis Black but I'm sure that's just a pipe dream. Whoever they pick, I'll give a fair shot but Jon Stewart is going to be a tough act to follow.

Edited by stacey
Fix quote
  • Love 2

Of course CC is run by suits, who in the nature of such are capable of enormous stupidity.  While the idea of moving Hardwick and @midnight to another time isn't bad, what I fear would be some other move where they'd instead leave @midnight right where it is, but ALSO give Hardwick and his annoying ass a talk show slot before it.  If anyone could talk their way into two shows per night on the same network (taping one early in the morning and one late afternoon maybe).  Ugh. I shiver at the thought (that they'd mistake @midnight's success as being due to Hardwick and not the strong concept).

Comedy Central has done a pretty good job picking hosts so far, I think. John Oliver was a worthy replacement while Jon took time off to direct his movie and we all know what a runaway success the Colbert Report became. I'm even enjoying Larry Wilmore, though I don't care much for the format of his show. I do think it's hugely important that whoever they pick be smart as well as funny. I like my humor served with a heaping side of intelligence.

• Love 1

I do think it's hugely important that whoever they pick be smart as well as funny. 

I think we'll have a successor announced before the middle of the year and in place relatively soon after John is done. They'll want to get someone established and have everything humming before November 2016.

It has to be draining watching the current political situation in the US turn into a theatre of the absurb play.

This is pretty much my opinion too. Calling out the stupidity, only to see the mindbogglingly stupid win elections, has to be soulcrushing at times. JS has aged about as well as your average US president. 

• Love 5

20 years ago this June...

This. 

Few things....1- 90s slightly caustic Dave with his trademark shoes and a cigar. Not as caustic as he was in the 80s, but he's got an edge here. It's so weird to see both of them sitting on chairs like this with no desk. 

2. Holy, Jon Stewart was a beautiful child. He's still great looking (but sadly too short for this amazon.)

I remember reading in the Rolling Stone article about Stewart years ago, and Janeane Garofalo said all the girls were in love with him while they were all kids on the comedy circuit cause not only was he really smart and funny, but he was such a dreamboat. You weren't kidding, Janeane. 

Krom & Victor the Crab said:

If Craig Ferguson becomes the new TDS host, will Geoff Peterson become a correspondent for the show?

We can pray this is the case.

Actually I'd been thinking Secretariet myself.  But in the past day I've replaced both possibilities with Left Shark.  Left Shark is Viral now, so he'd make a great splash.

I hadn't thought of that.  Holy God, that would be absolutely awesome!  Can you imagine Geoff doing field interviews with some of the idiots they currently interview?  Or covering the upcoming Democratic and GOP conventions?

And just have Secretariat tag along with Geoff. 

Yes, yes, a thousand times YES!  Take the show in a different direction; then it wouldn't be compared to Jon's.

Just throwing another name out there: Tina Fey. She has Weekend Update experience and Republicans already hate her.

So this is the first replacement suggestion that has even slightly interested me.  I absolutely feel that Jon is irreplacable. I can't imagine how I am going to get thougth the 2016 election without him. With the smarter of the Bush brothers (not that it's a very high bar to be sure) running against Hillary? I want Jon to report on it. No one else, just Jon.

However, for the first time I have considered that life might go on. I think Tina would be good. Really good. Not Jon, but really good.

No one else mentioned even gets my attention. 

• Love 1

That's the problem, though. Why would Craig Ferguson take over someone else's show just to do the same gags he's been doing for years on his own, constrained by a format someone else invented that plays to their strengths, not his? When he took over the talk show after Letterman, he blew everyone's mind by not sticking to the tired network talk show formula, but innovating and making it weird. Taking over TDS, with its specific formula everyone loves, is the opposite of that.

Without Stewart there would be no Colbert or John Oliver, or W. Kamau Bell. But the Network seems to think TDS can magically continue as-is if a new host were slotted in. I don't see that. If you want to do political comedy now, you have your own options without being constantly compared to Stewart. Why try to be his imitator for an audience who will never think you're as good as the original?

The political standup act, plus funny pretaped pieces, plus serious interviews with non-entertainment figures was something that didn't exist on mainstream US TV before Stewart. Now, it's almost a cliche.

The thing is I have a strong memory that The Jon Stewart Show was terrible, and recall not being even a little surprised it got canceled. 

Off-the-wall idea...Martin Short

He seems sincere and warm in person, the movie industry never found a decent way to use him, he's great at both sketch comedy and improv, and TDS could do the occasional Jiminy Glick guest interview.

(If you don't know who Jiminy Glick is, here's a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR5N0IV5oe0 )

Please. no.

Short gets harder and harder to watch every year.

This point was driven home to me seeing him on stuff like Hollywood Game Night, and other appearances he's done in the past few years.  But was reinforced seeing something with Dana Carvey the other day, when I found myself comparing the two and realized that I still found Carvey charming, whereas Short I want off my screen as quickly as possible.

• Love 1

I think Short is capable of being good, if discipline is imposed upon him (his dramatic turn in Damages comes to mind). But a show where improv isn't discouraged? KMN. It is devoutly not to be wished.

I don't see Martin Short as political. Some of the names being mentioned - Chris Rock in particular - are far too polarizing. I don't think they're going to risk seriously re-branding this show. I could see Jason Jones and Sam Bee as co-anchors but I doubt CC is overly enthused by the idea. John Oliver is the only one I would really look forward to, anyone else is a crap shoot. I think Lewis Black would be good, but he's not the genial "every man" like Stewart this show needs, and CC probably wants someone younger anyway. Chris Hardwick might be palatable, I just don't know if he's up to the task.

While it's fun to speculate and the very first game out of the chute after his announcement, I'm not sure any viewer has the right answer.  Personally, as long as I've watched Ferguson, I think he's the only one with the whole package.  The heart, the soul, the innate kindness -- the humanity -- along with the classical, renaissance education* and experience with helming a show that involves interviews both funny and serious.  The only thing he hasn't done is run a show with an ensemble cast in front of the camera -- well, at least one that isn't a skeleton robot or a stuffed horse.

*I believe the "education" was self induced.  I saw him do a solo-one-on-one during his chat show's run with Stephen Fry and they were hypnotic.  So fascinating and charming, you couldn't turn away.  However, I'm not sure he has formal education.

Right now, though, I think Ferguson has chosen to follow his mentor's path (that would be Drew Carey who gave Ferguson his first big break in LA and to whom he seems to feel an allegiance.)

I mentioned before that Oliver supplies the European view so perhaps a Scot is redundant.  Also, Ferguson is old by these standards. 

Edited by Captanne

I don't think it's exaggerating to say that Jon Stewart is one of the smartest, most intelligent, political comedians out there. And that that's not something that just everybody is, obviously, and as hilarious as many of his correspondents are (and were), it's probably true that a lot of them aren't on his level (Jon Oliver is one that looks to have been close).

But that's why I'm surprised people think he can just be "replaced" and it will be the same show. To me, his politics and his views ARE The Daily Show in many ways, and I'm having a hard time imagining someone else in the seat, doing the same thing that he does. I don't think it's as easy as people are making it seem. At the very least, you do have to find someone who is as interested and passionate about politics as he is. Even though they make a couple zingers, most late night hosts don't have that natural focus. Could you imagine Jimmy Fallon hosting a show like TDS?

They've got to get somebody on a higher level, intelligence wise, imo.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 3

But that's why I'm surprised people think he can just be "replaced" and it will be the same show. To me, his politics and his views ARE The Daily Show in many ways, and I'm having a hard time imagining someone else in the seat, doing the same thing that he does. I don't think it's as easy as people are making it seem.

Thank you!  Perfect example: I like John Oliver, but I only watched a handful of shows when he hosted because as funny as he is, I don't care what he thinks, I don't care about his take.  I feel, and I know they won't, but they should pack up the whole tent.  When Jon leaves, the Daily Show should as well.  Replace it with a similar show if you want, but even though he was the second host, Jon Stewart is the Daily Show.  I don't want to watch someone else take it over for good--this isn't the fucking Tonight Show.  I mean, there are many time I don't watch it, even with Jon, I'm just so tired of the news cycle and the whole bullshit.  But, I love Jon, so I always come back after a few weeks of not watching.  I'm not doing that for some replacement, no matter how talented or awesome the person is. 

When Jon leaves, sigh, so am I. 

Edited by sunflower

I actually do care about John Oliver's take but I understand what sunflower and ruby24 are saying.

I care about Oliver because I care about Europe and that's his spin.  I watched him on TDS because he was designated as the host while Stewart was gone so he was not doing his own show, he was doing TDS -- with their staff, their writers, their production team and, presumably, Stewart on a very short Internet tether.

But I do care about Oliver's show because his European perspective is so very, very needed and he's a breath of fresh air -- truly unique on American television.  You can always tune in to the BBC but that's like saying, rather than TDS you can always tune into CNN.

I haven't seen Wilmore's show and I'm not sure, yet, what his spin is, so I can't comment on that.

ETA:  To correct spelling.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

But that's why I'm surprised people think he can just be "replaced" and it will be the same show.

Where are people saying this?

Not here, at the very least.  All I've seen are people talking about a new iteration of the show with it's own slant.  Kind of akin to changing Tonight Show hosts. It stops being the same show and becomes a new one, simply with the inherited branding and a default chance at inheriting the old viewers, because they are used to watching that show.

I have to ask ruby, do you think names like Chris Rock, Tina Fey and Craig Ferguson are seriously being tossed around here with the idea that it will result in the same show?  The very nature of these suggestions (as opposed to simply talking about existing or former Daily Show people) says to me that the speculation is very much taking into account that the show won't ever be the same.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I don't know who I want as the next host, but I don't want the show to go away. Oliver's show is fantastic, but it only comes on once a week, and I like to get daily takes on what's going on in the world. I stopped watching Wilmore's show after week 2.

I don't think I'd like Jason or Sam as a host. I don't know how Jessica would be as an interviewer, but I like her. I can picture Trevor doing the show. I also like Hasan, who even kind of looks like an Indian Jon Stewart (though that's not important). 

peeayebee, I particularly agree with your point about Oliver's show only being once a week.  We need something short, sweet and skewering at least nightly.

ETA:  And, of course, by we, I mean the entire world.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

Not here, at the very least.  All I've seen are people talking about a new iteration of the show with it's own slant.  Kind of akin to changing Tonight Show hosts. It stops being the same show and becomes a new one, simply with the inherited branding and a default chance at inheriting the old viewers, because they are used to watching that show.

The Tonight Show is different. It's basically advertising for whatever the guests are promoting that day. So if it's Jay Leno and 15 minutes of headlines before the interviews, or Conan and 15 minutes of videos and goofy characters before the interviews, or Fallon and celebrity games and songs, the format of the show is basically the same. But The Daily Show with another host wouldn't be the same thing, because it was the formula tailored to Jon's act and personality rather than the other way around.