Type keyword(s) to search

Jon Stewart Is Leaving The Daily Show

I WISH Trevor Noah was taking over. That would be exciting. For the record, I don't think he'd do it, because he's too focused on standup. So my vote is for Samantha Bee.

Let me add to that, asha, cuz not only I want Sam Bee to take the reins, I kinda wish the correspondents as a whole would rotate for the host position, as long as there is no random comedian not affiliated with TDS hogging the spotlight. Maybe Bassem Youssef? He did good on the last episode, so maybe??

• Love 2

I WISH Trevor Noah was taking over. That would be exciting. For the record, I don't think he'd do it, because he's too focused on standup. So my vote is for Samantha Bee.

No, Obi-wan, there is another.

We got a glimpse of him last night.

ETA: Luvly Junkie and I are apparently thinking the same thoughts and posting them at the same time.

Edited by Hooper
  • Love 1

Oh....fuck.  Just...fuck. 

Fuckity fuckity fuckity fuck fuck.  Fuck.  

Just....gaaaaaaaah.  I can't decide whether to eat an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's chocolate therapy or heat up some sake or both.   

This has bummed me out. 

• Love 5

Pizza is the only answer.  But not with a fork.

I am not a spring chicken. I remember the political satire landscape was vast and empty until Jon Stewart came along followed by Stephen Colbert.  I cannot imagine it returning to the vast empty wasteland again.  I have a sad :(

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 10

I am just heartbroken. Getting over being sick, a migraine from hell, this made me feel so much better. /s

Let me add to that, asha, cuz not only I want Sam Bee to take the reins, I kinda wish the correspondents as a whole would rotate for the host position, as long as there is no random comedian not affiliated with TDS hogging the spotlight. Maybe Bassem Youssef? He did good on the last episode, so maybe??

I wonder what a new host would do with the show. When Jon took over from Kilborn, he took some time and then overhauled it completely.   I would love for things to stay "in-house". Trevor is great. Jessica is fantastic. And I wouldn't mind Jason, Samantha or Aasif. Bassem would be great as well. 

If it's someone like Marc Maron, I will rage.

I mean, I hear the criticism about Jon. His departure is likely overdue. But man if I don't have affection for him and this is going to be weird. I'll miss ya Stewbeef. Also, Jessica Williams, Jessica Williams, Jessica Williams. Thank you.

• Love 7

So for how much longer is he under contract? The wording of the Comedy Central statement ("until later this year") has me assuming it won't be through the end of the year. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that he was under contract through August, but I can't confirm at the moment.

If we're talking replacements, I see three possibilities (in order of likelihood):

1. Someone new who's not associated with the show in any significant way.
  2. One of the current correspondents or writers.
  3. A former correspondent or writer.
Edited by alynch

As much as I knew it was coming, and as much as I was occasionally frustrated with him in recent years, I have to admit that this news kind of gutted me. With Colbert gone I was sort of counting on him to make it through the next election. And as much as I like Larry Wilmore and John Oliver, they're just not the same. They're not filling the gap in the same way.

I'll be upset when this happens, and I will feel like my life is missing something, as dramatic as that sounds. Jon provided an essential and necessary service.

I wonder what he's leaving to do? I mean, for late night comedians, having a show seems to be the end goal for just about all of them, but Jon's too young to just "retire." Is he going to try to be serious film director now?

• Love 5

I have frown.  If CC wants to turn it upside down they can announce Jessica as the new anchor.  Or Bassem.  Or Trevor.  Or Wyatt.  Or Stewbeef could reveal that he's trolling all of us for an ego boost.  There are many ways to turn my frown around.

In all honesty, I think it could be cool if we had the various correspondents interested in taking over each have a turn hosting over the next couple of months, as auditions so that we could already have a basic idea of how they'd do. 

• Love 2

Such a bummer. I could sort of see the writing on the wall after his sabbatical last year, but still, I enjoy Jon on the show every night and change is hard.<br /><br />I don't find Jason Jones or Sam Bee funny. I can see how some people do, but their mugging is too over the top for the tone of the best parts of the show, IMO. Same with Jordan Klepper.<br /><br />I feel like this is maybe how they are going to transition Larry Wilmore's show into an hour. His panel segment is too short for 5 people to discuss a huge issue, so I could see a natural extension happening now that people are getting used to Larry's hosting style.

• Love 1

Maybe Stewart to stay on as a consultant like some of the other old news guys (Rather, Cronkite, etc.) I also hope maybe he can come back to bits and continue to be their senior New Jersey correspondent.

Sniffs. Sigh.

My roommates want them to bring in John Oliver.

Anyway, I'm so sad to Jon go.

But why today of all days? Usually, when you make a big announcement you wait till the end of the week, not the middle of the week? Maybe he got a heads up that the Brian Williams suspension news was coming, and wanted to get it in under the shadow of that.

Maybe he got a heads up that the Brian Williams suspension news was coming, and wanted to get it in under the shadow of that.

Well he miscalculated that. Brian Williams is thrilled that Jon Stewart announced when he did.

I'm confused by the two "Jon is leaving" threads and already posted on the other one, but oh no oh no oh no. Also, I'm not that surprised. I can't imagine what we will do without that voice.

Waving sadly at Victor the Crab.

• Love 1

I have to admit, I'm a little confused as to what Jon's leaving to do exactly. Will he have another show, eventually? Given the fact that just having a late night talk show seems to be the end goal of all comedians who aren't actors, and also that he must realize there's nothing he can do that will be as valuable as the public service that his show was (and I do believe it became a kind of public service), what does he do now?

I can't imagine he's simply retiring, like Letterman. He also never seemed to want to be in line to take over Letterman's job, so I can't imagine him on a show just interviewing celebrities.

I half wonder if he's going to do something more serious, given how he told Rolling Stone that he considered the Meet the Press offer. Maybe that sparked some kind of idea in his mind for something closer to that.

Edited by ruby24

I have to admit, I'm a little confused as to what Jon's leaving to do exactly. Will he have another show, eventually? Given t

I half wonder if he's going to do something more serious, given how he told Rolling Stone that he considered the Meet the Press offer. Maybe that sparked some kind of idea in his mind for something closer to that.

Taking over for Brian Williams?
  • Love 1

I have to admit, I'm a little confused as to what Jon's leaving to do exactly. Will he have another show, eventually? Given the fact that just having a late night talk show seems to be the end goal of all comedians who aren't actors, and also that he must realize there's nothing he can do that will be as valuable as the public service that his show was (and I do believe it became a kind of public service), what does he do now?

I can't imagine he's simply retiring, like Letterman. He also never seemed to want to be in line to take over Letterman's job, so I can't imagine him on a show just interviewing celebrities.

From some of his latest interviews (both given interviews and interviews he does), it seems like he's realized that his kids are growing up and he hasn't been there as much as he would have liked. Honestly? It looks like he wants to step back from the daily grind of a show and be with his kids before they become too old to enjoy time with dad. Selling that sweet pad in Tribeca and moving to Jersey was probably the first major sign.

He'll probably lay low for awhile, pop up on news channels and other panel shows. Maybe eventually do some stand up again (he does mention that a lot). Heck, Rosewater wasn't the best movie ever, but it was a pretty great first movie from someone that doesn't even do movies for a living.

Edited by maculae
  • Love 2

Someday another VP is going to mistake a guy for a bird; and when that happens, I'm not going to be able to turn to the person next to me and say 'Jon Stewart is going to be awesome tonight' :(

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 13

I don't think they should replace him. They should retire the show. It was so much his voice and direction, that it wouldn't be the same.

Besides, when he started out, no one was doing political comedy like that on such a wide platform but now everyone is. The show is one among several.

Someday another VP is going to mistake a guy for a bird again; and when that happens, I'm not going to be able to turn to the person next to me and say 'Jon Stewart is going to be awesome tonight' :(

Aww. I just got teary-eyed. I don't think I can count the times something happened and I went I can't wait to see what Jon has to say about this.

• Love 4

You know, I got an inkling of this news during one of Jon's recent interviews here, when he moaned a bit about still being at the desk. I remember thinking, oh,  he's gonna leave, probably soon. And today, he proved my spidey sense right. Sigh.

I can't say I haven't gotten my money's worth with this show. But damn, I'd sure be willing to keep paying. Snif!

• Love 1

It had to happen sooner than later . . . deep down, I was hoping for "later." Also, something tells me that Jon wouldn't have ditched on the 2016 race unless he was really tired. The only downside is that certain talking heads are probably pulling their pud at the news, and that doesn't sit so right with me.

• Love 1

'Jon Stewart' and 'The Daily Show' are both in the top 10 Twitter trending topics in Australia - which is pretty amazing considering the show is only available on pay TV here, and only about 30% of households have pay TV.

I think Jon is probably quitting because he has finally been buried in an avalanche from Bullshit Mountain and just can't take it any more. Sad for us, but good for him. I wish him nothing but the sweetest bullshit-absent air in the future.

• Love 4

It's either going to be Ollie or Hardwick. I'm hoping for Ollie but likely Hardwick and then Lennon or Wheaton takes over @Midnight.

I seriously doubt it. John Oliver has his own show where he's making a name for himself and his clips are going viral and he has fill creative control. Plus he's locked down at another network. He's out of the Daily Show orbit. As for Hardwick, he doesn't have the background and the Daily Show is seriously off-brand for him. He couldn't bring it under the control of Nerdist, and his happy, loves-everyone tone doesn't fit in at all with the snark-from-the-cheap-seats format. PLUS while he's dabbled in comedy for years it's not really his thing.

I think people are forgetting that outside of the Tonight Show and its copies, hosts almost always leave with the show. The replacement will be someone from inside the show already, or someone completely new to rebrand it. But like I said, the show was so closely associated with him the name should be retired.

• Love 1

I'm wondering if they will get John Oliver to return?

I loved his run and actually haven't watched TDS regularly since he left but I think that ship has sailed.  He only has to do one show a week, gets to spend a lot of time researching a story to make sure it's accurate and can spend as much time as he'd like talking about it. 

Even if he could get HBO to let him out of his contract, I just can't see him giving up his show now that he has managed to make his own mark in the television landscape.

I felt this day was coming.  It's unfortunate that it happened when there is no clear cut heir apparent, although there are a lot of good candidates. 

• Love 1

I remember reading that the ratings for @Midnight weren't so great during its brief time in the 11:30 slot. Plus, it wouldn't surprise me if Jon's deal means that Busboy Productions will still own the time period. I think TDS will survive (though I've been wrong before -- I was positive he would stay through one last presidential election cycle). Considering how well John Oliver did, my guess is that Stewart will try to groom someone else for the position. I'm not going to speculate who could take over since (a) I don't feel there's a "natural" successor -- my favorite correspondent is Jessica but I just get the sense that she's still too young and might not want to be tied down to the fake-news anchor desk for the foreseeable future -- and (b) I'm trying not to dissolve into tears right now. Considering my waterworks during the Colbert finale, I suspect I'll need a few family-size boxes of tissues to get through Jon's goodbye episode.

Unless somebody spectacular comes along to take Jon's seat, I could see myself shifting away from Comedy Central and simply watching Colbert's new show. Gah... I'm so glad you guys are here providing me with a virtual shoulder to cry on!

• Love 1

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  (Imagine a copy of the painting of "The Scream" here.)  First Colbert, then Craig Ferguson and now Jon.  I can't stand it, I can't stand it ...

So my vote is for Samantha Bee.

I can't stand Samantha Bee.  Jason Jones doesn't do it for me, either.  I don't find either of them funny and the thought of either of them taking over the hosting duties makes my teeth itch.

And while Wilmore's show is OK, I'm not sure I want an entire hour of that, either.

*Sigh*

I dunno.  There are a lot of talented comics out there, but you have to find one who can bring intelligence and satire to news and can also interview.  Lewis Black?  Kathleen Madigan?  Greg Proops?  Or maybe a tag team -- one to report and one to interview?  Key & Peele?   

• Love 2

I just read this terrible news. My heart is shattered. I'm absolutely gutted. I wasn't active here but I faithfully watch Jon every night he's on. He continues to be not just hilarious and insightful but caring in a profound way Stephen and John Oliver don't quite equal. His abundant humanity and striving to bring about change is what I'm constantly amazed with. It's never just for show but deep inside he is a wonderful and good man and sometimes I'm humbled by watching him talk about issues that most comedians could just quip about and then leave the subject. To love a celebrety in more than a fanish way is an unusual thing I'm sure, certainly for me. But if there was one famous person I love it is Jon Stewart.

On a selfish note, my chances for seeing him in person are so diminished I could cry.

Edited by happybumblebee
  • Love 4