Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculation

Blackbeard will be making an appearance in season 3- he will be played by Ray Stevenson, who also played Titus Pullo in HBO's short-lived miniseries Rome.  Great actor, 6'4" tall, dark, and (at least i think) handsome!

• Love 3

Oooooh, Titus Pullo.  This is EXCELLENT news.

I wonder if he has time to grow an actual beard of sufficient magnificence?

ETA:  I found a photo!  I'm betting the beard and hair are not real but you never know.  They look pretty good.

http://decider.com/2015/03/24/black-sails-blackbeard-ray-stevenson/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=DeciderTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Edited by WatchrTina

Real serious spoiler, just saw the season finale, do not click unless you want to be spoiled.

I wonder what the 3rd season will bring now that Captain Jack, Max and Ann have the Urca gold.

Edited by Neurochick

Well we know Flint has a struggle this next season to recover his humanity. Per Starz, he's helped in that process by Silver.  Well, it's also hinted (wish I could remember where I read it) that Flint finds possible romance with someone unexpected in Season 3.  I wonder if that means Flint & Silver? Hmm, I don't know if that really does it for me.  How many bisexuals major characters are we going to have?   Has Billy ever specified/hinted or otherwise has it been shown Billy's sexual orientation?  I haven't watched every episode super close so might have missed something. If not really known which sex Billy prefers, I vote him as being Flints new love interest. I mean for some reason that boy just can't quit Flint so I say lets take it all the way.  Maybe for no other reason that I want to see Billy as with as few clothes as possible and he and Flint would be hot together!

Any chance that Woodes' "Thomas, Thomas, Thomas" talk indicates that Thomas will be back this season?  Just my wishful thinking?  

In the preview for 3x8, it looks like Flint is leaving unexpectedly on a horse - Billy says "this is the war you wanted", and it looks like Flint is leaving?  Flint is going to find Thomas?  I can't stop thinking about this.  But I will.  Really.

(edited)

There's been speculation of Thomas being alive since the reason for his supposed death was revealed, and since no one seems to have witnessed said death they could certainly go there any time they want.  I've heard nothing to indicate it's happening, though, and I usually hunt spoilers like a hawk.  Black Sails manages to keep things close to the vest, what with filming so far away from paparazzi.  

Someone posted episode descriptions for episodes 8-10 in the Black Sails tag on tumblr.  All they said was "they have them up" but didn't say who they was so I don't know the accuracy of the source, but the episode 8 one matches what's on the Starz website.  Interestingly the description of episode 9 starts off with "Eleanor risks everything to save Rogers" so if that's true (I'll see if I can get the person who posted it to give me a source) that doesn't sound like Eleanor is playing Rogers like many have speculated.  Also what the heck happens to him that he needs saving?  I'm pretty sure Vane gets captured during the raid net episode, since we see him and Rogers fighting and we know from a past season long promo that at some point Eleanor will slap the shit out of him while he's tied to a chair.  Does Rogers also get captured by the other side, and she negotiates a prisoner exchange or something?

ETA: Here's the source for the descriptions http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tv/black-sails-xxvii/EP017416530033?aid=tvschedule

Edited by CatMack

Thanks for the episode descriptions!   I cannot wait to see episode 3x10, and I am looking forward to the attack on Woodes and the caravan carrying Jack (per the promo pictures released yesterday).  

I can't trust Eleanor.  She might want to be loyal to Woodes for now, but she will change her mind.  

I found a screencap supposedly from episode 9 posted on fan's FB page:

Charles Vane & Miss Eleanor Guthrie

Of course, that might be from season 2, or photoshopped, or Vane might be rescued at the last minute. But given that Vane was caught and hanged in real life, it could be accurate.

Edited by Ripley Rules

Is there supposed to be a link?

ETA: Still not sure what screencap you're referring too, but if it's in relation to Vane getting hanged, the French trailer, viewable here, is more spoilery than the American one.  The translation written below is rough, the poster is not completely fluent in English, but you can see even without the words that Vane at the very least comes very, very close to getting hanged.  There could be a  last minute rescue, since Billy is in town to theoretically prevent it, but it remains to be seen if they'll actually succeed in a last minute rescue.  

Edited by CatMack

I saw that too and I'm not surprised at all for some reason.  For some reason, this season Vane's felt off, I don't know.

Someone on FB had an idea of a mass death on this show, a la Game of Thrones "Red Wedding" and then they'll focus on the Treasure Island characters.

McGowan filmed "The 100" during the hiatus between season 3 and 4 filming. I'm fairly sure Vane's not going anywhere. Not yet anyhow. Just a speculation but I think Billy might cause a riot that will let Vane slip away. I kinda wonder if the angry mob won't end up turning on Eleanor and lynching her instead. I've just had the feeling all season long like she's doomed. Perhaps even foreshadowed in 301 when Death took "Eleanor" in play the pirates were putting on in Nassau.

Edited by Garnett7

McGowan filmed "The 100" during the hiatus between season 3 and 4 filming. I'm fairly sure Vane's not going anywhere. Not yet anyhow. Just a speculation but I think Billy might cause a riot that will let Vane slip away. I kinda wonder if the angry mob won't end up turning on Eleanor and lynching her instead. I've just had the feeling all season long like she's doomed. Perhaps even foreshadowed in 301 when Death took "Eleanor" in play the pirates were putting on in Nassau.

There is someone on FB who claims that McGowan wasn't in Capetown this year, speculating that his character get killed this season, but who knows if that's true, I mean anybody can say anything online.

However, I too think his character will be killed this season, here is my little speculation.

Black Sails was pitched as a prequel to Treasure Island, not a story about the real pirates in Nassau at that time.  That means the showrunners are concerned about that story and everything else is gravy.  This season was very different from seasons 1 and 2; in the earlier seasons there seemed to be one story, everybody was in Nassau, everybody interacted with each other.  This season the stories were split, there was the Nassau story and there was the Walrus story.  The Treasure Island characters were in their own separate adventure; Vane and Flint didn't even see each other until 306, when the season was half finished.  And for some reason, Vane doesn't feel right; when he was on Blackbeard's island he looked like he just wanted off.  He was probably glad to go with Flint back to Nassau, even though it seemed like everybody wanted him dead in Nassau.  Also they've been playing with history and we do know that Vane was hanged, though in Port Royal, not Nassau, so there is that, and I'm not saying this because I have never liked Vane as a character

I don't know if there's going to be a mass die off like the red wedding in Game of Thrones, but I sense that these showrunners want to focus on the Treasure Island part of the story and maybe feel they can't do that with all of these real life characters around.  The only characters that are safe are the Treasure Island characters.

One thing I find interesting are all the folks in FB who say they will no longer watch if Vane is killed.  I can understand that, I felt the same way with Boardwalk Empire killed a certain character.  But the difference is that the real Charles Vane actually was hanged.  Also there might be other things going on; for all we know, McGowan could have said he only wanted to do three seasons; maybe the showrunners didn't even know they'd get more than three seasons, sometimes stuff happens that we, the audience don't know about.  I do know that if Vane dies, the Eleanor hate will be very strong.

I also know the actress who plays Madi will be back next season, as per her Twitter page; it was interesting that she used the hashtag, #pirateprincess. 

Edited by Neurochick

Based on the French trailer I definitely think Vane ends up swinging from a rope, not just because we saw the set up but because of the shot of the wagon about to go out from under him.  Based purely on physics there's no way the momentum stops before he's off the wagon, but since it's not a big drop and won't break his neck he could still be rescued.  I feel like Vane dying fits narratively, not just because of history.  The pirates have actually had a decent run of luck in the last few episodes.  They've scored some wins and really mucked with Woodes Rogers' plans when previously his takeover had gone remarkably well.  I feel like England succeeding in executing Vane would really raise the stakes, in terms of tension in Nassau for Woodes/Eleanor/Max to deal with, and in our pirate protagonists having to deal with a real, unquestionable loss.

But I don't know if they'll do it.  It really does feel like he's too much of a fan favorite (inexplicably in my opinion, but obviously mileage varies) for them to lose.  Maybe that's another reason why I think they should pull the trigger on his execution - if you're going to bill yourself as a gritty show where anyone can die, you can't just kill off secondary characters and let your big popular ones walk away miraculously at the last second.

I would really really hate it if Eleanor died this season.  To the point of probably dropping the show even though she's not necessarily my favorite character.  Here's the thing, I've liked Eleanor's story for the most part this season, because it makes sense for her to have a rebuilding year after what happened last season.  In the grand scheme of things having a year where she doesn't necessarily do much but react and help other people, that doesn't bother me.  She needs this time to reassess and reinvent herself, in a way.  But that means that she hasn't had a whole lot to do from the standpoint of driving the narrative.  And that means if she dies this season it will serve pretty much no purpose except to create manpain for either Woodes or Vane or both depending on the exact circumstances of her death, and they've already pulled the "kill a woman to motivate a man" card last season.  I was annoyed by it then but got over it.  If they dip into that well again I'm going to be less forgiving.  Eleanor could certainly die at any time, she doesn't have plot or history armor protecting her, and I accept that.  But to me there's a difference between her dying when her death will actually mean something to the plot, and her dying to make a bunch of dudes have feelings, and her death this season would feel very much like that latter.  

ETA: One thing that might point in favor of Eleanor surviving, episode 9 at least - the shot in the trailer of her looking at the ships in the harbor.  I'm not a ship expert in any way shape or form so I might be wrong, but to my untrained eye it looks like a bunch of those ships are getting ready to sail (they're facing away from shore, rather than being parallel to it or facing it).  The description for episode 10 says Woodes and his forces go after the pirates, so a shot of ships leaving would seem likely to be towards the end of episode 9, as a set up to 10.  If Eleanor is watching the English forces sail away that would seem to indicate she isn't killed in 9, at least not at Vane's execution as speculated above.  

Also, the description for episode 10 says Rackham and Bonny face impossible odds.  It seems strange that they're singled out by themselves when they were last seen with the rest of the pirates, but would make sense if they go off on their own.  So what would prompt them to not just leave Flint's men, but leave and immediately get into a situation where they're in grave danger - perhaps news of a friend dying?  

IDK, I'm going to be stressed about who's surviving for the next two days now, and then once we get through episode 9 I'll resume stressing about who's surviving episode 10.  This is what I get for getting emotionally invested in a show where characters die.  I should just stick to sitcoms, lol.

Edited by CatMack
  • Love 1
But I don't know if they'll do it.  It really does feel like he's too much of a fan favorite (inexplicably in my opinion, but obviously mileage varies) for them to lose.  Maybe that's another reason why I think they should pull the trigger on his execution - if you're going to bill yourself as a gritty show where anyone can die, you can't just kill off secondary characters and let your big popular ones walk away miraculously at the last second

I think they'll do it and I'm stunned that he's a fan favorite because I've loathed Vane since season 1. 

I have a bad feeling that some folks like him because he's straight; some might have started out liking Flint, and then season 2 happened.  I've even seen folks on FB go on about "another gay character!"  To a lot of women, Vane represents that pre-Fabio romance novel cover of books written by Barbara Cartland, which is why I have never liked him.  

I think McGowan has been filming season 4. He's been sporting the "Vane hair", the extensions that make his hair longer for the character.

Obviously, they could kill anyone at any time . . . well, maybe not the "Treasure Island" characters just yet but the others, sure. Historically, Vane out-lived Blackbeard. I'd be surprised if they killed him, especially since he's been in danger of dying half the time this season. The show likes the unpredictable, which is why I'm thinking the mob might turn on Eleanor. She's pretty disliked in Nassau in general. There's been foreshadowing a few times about her death -- the play in which "Eleanor" was kissed by Death and the effigy of her hanging over Nassau. Right now, she and Max basically have the same storylines -- ex "Queen of Thieves" who's now aligned with England. It makes one of them unnecessary unless one is secretly working against Rogers. And, if she died, then it would stiffen Rogers' resolve and perhaps make him harden his otherwise nice guy attitude to the pirates. But that's all just speculation on my part. I could be totally off.

• Love 1

I think both Vane and Eleanor will die this season because both of them really were "supposed" to die, Eleanor in England and Vane because there was a bounty on his head. 

As for the hair, isn't his hair long in "The 100?"

If Eleanor does die this season I don't think it will be in ep 9, especially not during Vane's attempted and/or successful execution.  For one, she's surrounded by British soldiers for that in the previews, I really don't see them standing around and picking their noses while Eleanor is attacked and killed in place of the pirate they're supposed to be killing.  And I don't really buy the 'has the same storyline as Max' argument - if you strip their characters of most of the context sure, they have similarities, but if we're going to strip away their individuality and go to the bare bones of narrative function then most of the pirates are repetitive and unnecessary too.  You really only need Flint, Silver, and Billy Bones to set up Treasure Island and fight England, so why keep around Blackbeard, Vane, Rackham, or Bonny?  Because they're interesting characters, and so are Max and Eleanor both.  These writers don't strike me as writers who kill of characters because they don't think those characters are necessary.  

Also, I'm way too paranoid about this now so I've been obsessively staring at promo vids and images, and I think Eleanor's clothing hints her survival of the episode.  She has 3 outfits that I can tell.  The one she was wearing at the end of last episode, when she confronts Vane and also there's a sneak peek of her talking to Max in that same green dress.  Then the red dress she's wearing while surrounded by British soldiers watching Vane's hanging.  And then there's the blue dress while she's watching the ships, and per the French trailer while she's conversing with the British leadership.  And that's the one that really hints at her surviving ep 9 to me, because Hornigold is standing next to her, and right now Hornigold is at sea, and has to be at sea long enough to see something that makes him say "Jesus" (per the trailer) and then get back to Nassau, which to me suggests that that scene will take place towards the end of the episode, which would fit with Eleanor watching ships sail away in that same dress if that's the end of the episode like I suspect.  

Edited by CatMack

As for the hair, isn't his hair long in "The 100?"

Yes, but I think he's through filming it. And his current extensions are much more "Vane hair" than the guy he played in The 100. Obviously that's no guarantee he survives. I'd just be surprised if they killed him off now. I kinda see them keeping as many of the historical pirates as they can for awhile longer.

because Hornigold is standing next to her,

Damn. I was really hoping Hornigold would bite it this week. Oh, well, I guess there is always the finale.

Edited by Garnett7

When you're talking about his current hair, what are you basing it on?  I don't follow any of his social media so I don't know if he's been posting pictures or if he's been showing up at events are something.  If it's pictures there's no way of knowing if it was actually taken recently - I've actually seen actors post older photos to throw off suspicion.  But if he's showing up places live with current Vane hair that might be more convincing.  Of course, I've only ever seen him with long hair.  Not as long as Vane's, sure, but pretty darn long for a dude.  He seems to prefer it that way (and hey, it works for him, more power to him).

I'd just be surprised if they killed him off now. I kinda see them keeping as many of the historical pirates as they can for awhile longer.

Maybe, but when this season was filmed, last year, no one knew if they'd get a fourth season. 

I think Vane will be hanged and the fandom on this show will implode and there will be choruses of, "I'll never watch this show again," and "This isn't the show I signed up for" (I've said both of those things about shows that I did watch again) and the real nasty one I've been seeing on Twitter and some on FB, "Vane is the only real man on the show," (you know what that's about).

CatMack -- McGowan did a live interview to promote season 3 about 2 months ago (season 4 was filming by then) and he had the long extensions with the braids and beads as Vane wears. In real life, his hair is just touching his shoulders. "The 100" had it slightly longer but not Vane's length. In the interview, it was the length Vane keeps his with the adornments. I kinda doubt he went and got the extensions just for one interview but, hey, maybe he likes the Vane look and wants to keep it full time. Toby Stephens did several interviews as well during the same time and he had the "Flint look", shaved head still with the goatee.

Edited by Garnett7

CatMack -- McGowan did a live interview to promote season 3 about 2 months ago (season 4 was filming by then) and he had the long extensions with the braids and beads as Vane wears. In real life, his hair is just touching his shoulders. "The 100" had it slightly longer but not Vane's length. In the interview, it was the length Vane keeps his with the adornments. I kinda doubt he went and got the extensions just for one interview but, hey, maybe he likes the Vane look and wants to keep it full time. Toby Stephens did several interviews as well during the same time and he had the "Flint look", shaved head still with the goatee.

Maybe he comes back as a ghost, a la Miranda.

I think another ghost would be a bit redundant. Besides, who would he haunt? LOL! Not sure anyone would be that upset, save maybe Jack.

Anyhow, here is his natural hair length:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/actor-zach-mcgowan-arrives-at-the-starz-pregolden-globe-celebration-picture-id504141938

In "The 100"

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/84/39/a1/8439a164a1585508e55ee813ab2d1484.jpg

His interview on the Today Show promoting season 3. Much more Vane-esque look. Season 4 was filming when this interview took place.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/895135

Well, we'll have to wait until tomorrow.

There is a trailer that shows, what I think will be on the season finale; everybody running towards each other, to fight, on the beach, Flint fighting in the jungle, Anne on a ship, blowing up the British ships. 

Maybe Flint will kill Woodes or just knock him down for Silver to curb stomp him.

I'll put behind a spoiler cut because I know not everyone has seen 309 yet (I watched OD earlier)

You guys were right. I'm genuinely shocked they off'ed him. I honestly didn't think they would just yet. I love that this show always manages to surprise me. If I ever needed a reason to avoid the FB page, today would be it. Folks are gonna be verklempt. LOL!

Edited by Garnett7
  • Love 2

You're lucky you can watch OD, I had to watch on Starz' website and they didn't even load the episode until like 9am or something.

But

I'm also sad because...Mr. Scott :-(

Edited by Neurochick

I'll put behind a spoiler cut because I know not everyone has seen 309 yet (I watched OD earlier)

You guys were right. I'm genuinely shocked they off'ed him. I honestly didn't think they would just yet. I love that this show always manages to surprise me. If I ever needed a reason to avoid the FB page, today would be it. Folks are gonna be verklempt. LOL!

Then the writers/ creators are really messing with actual history. Woodes Rogers arrives in Nausea in July of 1718. He offers clemency to Vane (To keep the "street" on his side) and Vane returns to piracy. He is finally captured in 1719-1720 and hanged in 1721. So unless somehow the time line on the show has advanced --- it should still be the summer of 1718 on the show.

Then the writers/ creators are really messing with actual history. Woodes Rogers arrives in Nausea in July of 1718. He offers clemency to Vane (To keep the "street" on his side) and Vane returns to piracy. He is finally captured in 1719-1720 and hanged in 1721. So unless somehow the time line on the show has advanced --- it should still be the summer of 1718 on the show.

True but it really doesn't bother me.  I'm not watching Black Sails to get a history lesson.  This show is a prequel to Treasure Island, not a historical drama.  I've always seen this show as pure fiction.

Also you have to watch the episode to see what happens because

Woodes Rogers didn't get a chance to offer clemency to Vane.

I think about the play, Hamilton, where the main characters are not played by white people, even though Hamilton, Aaron Burr, etc were white people.  

Edited by Neurochick

The writers have said they will play fast and loose with real history. They already have. Jack and Anne shouldn't have been together at the start of the series. Historically, they didn't meet until after the pirate pardons offered by Rogers.

• Love 1

Hey all, you don't have to put spoiler tags on the episode. Once it hits OnDemand, it's fair game. However, you DO need to spoiler tag future events (like a real person's fate) and book spoilers EDIT: in other threads that are not this one.

Aaand I just realized this was the spoiler thread. There are no spoiler tags required in here at all.

It is the spoiler thread but I do appreciate the clarification about whether or not we need to tag the episode talk once it hits On Demand.  I think doing it that way makes sense but it always confused me.

• Love 1

It hadn't really been an issue before but yes, you can discuss the episode in its thread once Starz releases it OnDemand. No tags necessary. Unless it's the afore-mentioned spoiler criteria.

Here's the slightly more spoilery French trailer for the season finale.  

I wasn't sure if Blackbeard would go for Nassau or to help Flint first, but I guess this answers that question.  Jack is gonna fuck shit up.  Can't tell what Rogers' reaction is really.  If the translation is accurate (the poster has a standard disclaimer that they're not a native English speaker and the translations are rough) "Your enemies here, they will become my enemies too" can be taken in a good way (we're in this together) or a bad way (what have you done now I have to deal with this) but the clip is too short for me to get a sense of his mood.  I kind of feel like if he's angry with her, that might be the end for Eleanor, but if he stands by her Eleanor still might die eventually but probably not until we see them working together for awhile longer.  I wish I could judge his mood better.  He doesn't look happy, but he doesn't look angry either.  IDK.  

I'm still really curious about the description for episode 10 and the part where "Billy crowns a king".  I assume it has something to do with the resistance.  Maybe he puts someone in charge so he can leave and go back to his crew.  Someone the resistance can really rally behind.  I just don't know who that could be.  None of the characters currently in Nassau that we actually know really well fit the bill IMO (I love Featherstone but he's not really an inspiring kind of guy).  Is it going to be that Garrett guy from last episode?  Maybe he becomes a bigger character.

Thanks for linking the promo! Yeah, Rogers is hard to read. If he sticks with Eleanor despite her royally screwing him then he's the PAB I always suspected him to be.

I guess Blackbeard will aid Jack in the sea battle. Anne looks so gorgeous. She needs to be hat-less more often. Please, Flint, PLEASE kill Hornigold. And, yeah, where the heck is Billy and what's he doing right now?

• Love 1

Billy's still on Nassau, and thanks to Eleanor, pretty much everyone capable of defending Nassau from an attack will be heading out to take on Flint, so my guess is he's going to handle that side of the take down.

Well, thanks to the commodore, if in fact there's no one left to effect a defense.  Eleanor added Hornigold's men and the plantations dudes, she doesn't have any control of the English soldiers though, whoever went to fit Flint and if anyone was left behind in Nassau that was all the commodore.  I think we'll see the ramping up of tensions and the rebellion truly start, but I think one episode later would be too soon to see Nassau taken down or even outright assaulted.  There has to be time to organize and recruit.  

So, this dropped last week and I realized that I hadn't seen it posted here.

Opening Scene of S4 Premier

I've already been worried about Flint going after Madi since she is the tether that keeps Silver from being completely drawn into Flint's bullshit.  Now, I'm wondering if Flint is somehow responsible for Silver going into the water in the first place (perhaps influenced by these two gifsets).  After all, we still don't know what really happened when Billy went overboard.  The showrunners said that Silver emerges from that ordeal in the water as the character from Treasure Island, and I wonder how much of a role Flint plays in that part of the metamorphosis.

Toby Stephens: Yeah, there is a character that ends up being truly loyal to Flint, and it’s wonderful. In the last few episodes, one of the characters comes into the fore that’s been in the background, and it’s interesting to see what happens there.

This is from the interview Winter Rose posted in the Media thread.   I thought maybe Eleanor but she hasn't exactly been in the background.  Flint is too obsessive to survive (I've never read Treasure Island but I know he's not in it) but he's one of the more interesting characters to me and I am curious about this bit.

57 minutes ago, raven said:

This is from the interview Winter Rose posted in the Media thread.   I thought maybe Eleanor but she hasn't exactly been in the background.  Flint is too obsessive to survive (I've never read Treasure Island but I know he's not in it) but he's one of the more interesting characters to me and I am curious about this bit.

I had never read the book, and I skimmed through the book the first time a couple of months ago . . . I had no idea Flint wasn't actually in it and I was a bit disappointed, heh.

1 hour ago, raven said:

He's not in it but it takes place many many years after the events of this show.  That's not to say that they couldn't mess with the Treasure Island timelines because they could--they've already messed with some historical facts.  But if they don't mess with that timeline or don't jump ahead many years, it is possible he could survive. 

I'm curious about who he's talking about too. Knowing the little I know of TI, I would have guessed Billy since he was with Flint at the end.  But his arc doesn't exactly scream loyalty to Flint this season.  Nor do I know if I'd consider him background although he hasn't moved story the way Silver, Flint, Vane, Eleanor, Jack...etc. have.

A lot of shows decline in quality after multiple seasons but not this show!  This was a terrific season opener and the whole episode was so well constructed.

I was surprised that John and Madi were already lovers. I was really surprised that Woodes Rogers married Eleanor.

I read Treasure Island many years ago and Long John Silver was the most interesting and charismatic  character in it.  You couldn't help but like him despite his villainy.