Type keyword(s) to search

Contestants: The Arrogant, the Weepy, the Chopped

Bella
  • Start Topic

Does anybody remember from the early seasons, possibly season 1 or 2, where the guy kept referencing the fact that "the government was going to take their cut"? He said it at least 3-4 times on each of his cut-aways. I can't remember his name, I can't remember if he won, he just always seems to stand out to me as one of the oddballs that was on there. He was obsessed with mentioning that he wasn't going to be keeping every cent of the $10,000 he'd be winning. It was really odd...almost as odd as the early season guy who was very soft-spoken but looked like a creepy Nick Cave..I think he won

• Love 1

I don't think that the winners end up with much of the prize money. They have to pay their own way to New York as well as any housing costs. Then the Federal & State governments get their share of taxes. That $10,000 sure can shrink down real fast.

I am surprised that the producers haven't upgraded anything on the show after all these years. The kitchen set is starting to look rather old. It is so dark and the equipment isn't all that great. How many times have we seen a chef try to use the meat grinder and it won't operate properly.

Compare that set to the one on Chopped Canada and you can see the difference. Chopped Canada's kitchen is bright and vibrant. Their equipment is much newer. But then you have to deal with the CC judges, a sorry bunch.

I forgot to add a comment on the show that featured hamburgers. The chefs were given hunks of meat and were expected to grind it. In the first round not one of the four grinders worked. The chefs were scrambling to get some sort of meat assembled for a hamburger. The producers must have done some mad damage control for the second round because the grinders did work then.

• Love 4

Probably like most of you, I don't remember the best chefs.  I remember the few who came across as genuinely likeable (Lance, Yoanne) or were instantly dislikeable (too many to list, but have to mention Chris, Rebecca & Lauren).  Interesting how the nasties keep popping up on other cooking shows like they're making casting calls.

instantly dislikeable (too many to list, but have to mention Chris, Rebecca & Lauren).

Chris and Lauren are on my list of all-time worst but I just can't place a Rebecca.  Can someone jog my mind?

Rebecca was the super-smug blonde chef from The Beehive in Boston.  She smirked all the time and constantly repeated on her THs about how much better she was than her competition.

Then she won.  The first time anyway.

• Love 1

After the blind date Chopped this week they reran a Redemption episode with (the horror!!!) Cara Thompson.  She of the vocal fry and megasnotty tude.  I felt so awful for Kate, the runnerup.  Ms. My-Pooh-Doesn't-Stink couldn't even be gracious to Kate.  I'd go to Taco Bell before entering any restaurant Cara was associated with.

• Love 1
On April 20, 2015 at 0:59 PM, cooksdelight said:

Chris Burke, one of the most arrogant asses ever, his redemption episode was on again today. He's a private chef, and his attitude is probably why. No one would want to work with him in a kitchen. The way he talked about other people's dishes was downright disrespectful.

I'd have done the same happy dance that Amy did when he was ditched. And Scott giving him a final smackdown was gold.

oh you guys have NO idea….. I had the misfortune of living with this creep…..

He was charged  last year in New york criminal court with the brutal assault of a taxi driver and he pled guilty…. He broke the drivers nose and according to the report the poor driver was going to have a metal plate put in his face….

he's been fired from so many jobs, accused of stealing and in the year his nasty ass was in our apt he worked in at least four different places…..

I had to remove him through housing court…. he didn't pay rent for 8 months and stuff disappeared from our apt...

e.g. As soon as he moved in  -- my roommates X-box disappeared

A friend of mine had a restraining order against him for a year after he assaulted her. 

Unfortunately my friends who know him didn't want to say anything when I left his nasty ass move in because I was dealing with my dad dying at the time and they didn't want to worry me.  One of the nastiest people I have ever met, he is the kind of person who inspires episodes of Law and Order SVU predators.

• Love 4

Oh goodness, I am so sorry for all of this happening to you!! And I guess this confirms that what you see on this show is indicative of what his true personality was like. I noticed that they have never invited him back for any type of redemption show, as they have others who had questionable attitudes. I wonder if he threatened them?

So, I'm watching the beer-themed episode, and this Vietnamese lady said her mom put the chef and her sister on a raft and pushed them out into the South China Sea and eventually she ended up in America. What?! That is a crazy story. I want to know more. Of all the sob backstories on this show, no one is topping that.

edit: I should Google before I post. Apparently she is an actress-turned-chef and has a Wikipedia page. There's also this article. Sounds like it wasn't a raft so much as a boat with other refugees. Still a crazy story though.

Edited by Falafel
  • Love 1
On 10/7/2016 at 0:49 AM, Falafel said:

I want to know more. Of all the sob backstories on this show, no one is topping that.

Well, there was that guy who died. . . but got better.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 10/19/2016 at 10:27 AM, xaxat said:

Well, there was that guy who died. . . but got better.

HA! Good one  

I am going to create some  sob storiies. I intend to hunt down everyone who tries to make risotto or rice of any kind and break their thumbs. So if you hear anyone tell a story about a crazy woman attack, it is me!! 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

I rarely see them cook puff pastry correctly, it is always underdone.  They should know this from watching the show.  It has to be baked separately.  Shape it into a cup, bake it and use it as a vessel. No one has ever done that, to my knowledge.  Some make Napoleons and that works. 

Use milk in ice cream instead of cream, so it won't turn to butter, and call it gelato.  I prefer it and always buy low fat ice cream because of that, it is lighter.  It used to be called ice milk when I was a kid, they should not have changed the name.  Low fat signals diet food rather than a legitimate product.  

• Love 1

I guess this is the thread I should voice my disgust in since chef in the old episode that just ended on FN  that I want to vent about is from 2014.

It's the Waste Not episode with Lauren Von Der Pool. What a simmering on the verge of raging bitch she was. It pleases me greatly to read that she was Chopped first when they brought her back. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Hockeymom said:

How about chef Andy from the big barbecue episode! What a sore loser. Yikes!

He was an arrogant douche the whole episode -- I've written cookbooks, I own two restaurants, I went to Johnson & Wales, I'm bringing some fine dining up in here -- ugh. I can't help but feel he was also HIGHLY insulted to lose to a mere female with so much less training & experience. She was a lovely, positive person and seemed to have a natural knack/talent for flavors and such a passion and joy for the process. I'm glad the judges agreed!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, ChiBurbsMama said:

He was an arrogant douche the whole episode -- I've written cookbooks, I own two restaurants, I went to Johnson & Wales, I'm bringing some fine dining up in here -- ugh. I can't help but feel he was also HIGHLY insulted to lose to a mere female with so much less training & experience. She was a lovely, positive person and seemed to have a natural knack/talent for flavors and such a passion and joy for the process. I'm glad the judges agreed!

And the look on Alex's face when he started that "I know I did great" crap.  She was like, here it comes.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ChiBurbsMama said:

I can't help but feel he was also HIGHLY insulted to lose to a mere female with so much less training & experience. She was a lovely, positive person and seemed to have a natural knack/talent for flavors and such a passion and joy for the process.

She might have been a lovely, positive person, but she needs another topic of conversation besides "my husband"

• Love 6

she needs another topic of conversation besides "my husband"

I was going to say the same thing.  It made her come across as insecure or something even while her words expressed confidence.  Perkily.  

I was glad she beat the jerk at the end.  I liked the other guy.

• Love 2

I just watched an episode recently where the final two were a woman and a blonde man who was really nasty at the end,  but I don't remember their names.  

Maybe it was Andy that was mentioned upthread?  I remember him saying he opened restaurants all over the world and trained other chefs.  He was particularly bothered by being in the final two with the woman, "there is no way I'm losing to her".  Then when he did lose, the woman tried to hug him and he just turned and stormed off,  then did this death stare into the camera the whole time he was doing his final walk, he was downright scary!  

Was this Andy? 

Edited by Summer
59 minutes ago, Summer said:

Maybe it was Andy that was mentioned upthread?  I remember him saying he opened restaurants all over the world and trained other chefs.  He was particularly bothered by being in the final two with the woman, "there is no way I'm losing to her".  Then when he did lose, the woman tried to hug him and he just turned and stormed off,  then did this death stare into the camera the whole time he was doing his final walk, he was downright scary!  

Andy, from season 6 of Hell's Kitchen.  'Nuff said.

• Love 1

I have noticed that when Chopped started, they usually had many chefs from New York that seemed to be very arrogant. Now they look for chefs from different parts of the country and it seems that mostly are competitive but polite.

• Love 3

I'm watching an episode from 2012 - "Chopping in a Winter Wonderland." Deborah was talking about her nephew that she adores, and how she feels that she owes him to win because she broke her leg while dancing the Horah at his Bar Mitzvah, and "stole his thunder." That made me laugh.

Edited by ShortyMac
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I watched "Chopped" on demand earlier this week.  The episode was titled "Waste Not".

One of the chefs was Lauren Von Der Pool, I think her name was.  She was about the most horrible person I have ever seen on the show.  Chefs are often arrogant.  While annoying, it can be overlooked if the chef is phenomenal.  This woman, though I could see she had skills, was the meanest person ever.  She complained constantly about the other woman chef.  Then when she was cut, she had the nerve to argue with thee panel about her food and put down that other chef as a defense.  I don't think I have ever seen another contestant do that when they got chopped.  But, I had a big chuckle when the woman she targeted won the Chopped title.  Ha!

• Love 2
On 5/7/2021 at 10:23 AM, CatLady said:

I watched "Chopped" on demand earlier this week.  The episode was titled "Waste Not".

One of the chefs was Lauren Von Der Pool, I think her name was.  She was about the most horrible person I have ever seen on the show.  Chefs are often arrogant.  While annoying, it can be overlooked if the chef is phenomenal.  This woman, though I could see she had skills, was the meanest person ever.  She complained constantly about the other woman chef.  Then when she was cut, she had the nerve to argue with thee panel about her food and put down that other chef as a defense.  I don't think I have ever seen another contestant do that when they got chopped.  But, I had a big chuckle when the woman she targeted won the Chopped title.  Ha!

I was curious so I tracked this down (early season 18, for anyone else interested). Good god, you were right. The 2 men contestants seemed to be mostly beneath her notice but she was really knives out for Sarah from the start. What made her unrestrained bitchiness, sneering and eye rolling so extra was that Sarah was making a great effort to be friendly and respectful to all her fellow contestants in spite of being quite shy by nature.

Even when the judges noticed her behavior, called her out on it and gave her a chance to do better, instead of checking herself she doubled down. The look on her face when she got chopped and her last futile, boneheaded attempt to make Sarah feel bad were wonders to behold. She didn't learn anything from it, unfortunately--she was shit-talking all the way out the door.

Ugh.

• Love 1

OK, you all convinced me. I checked out Lauren. She was bad. First of all, I suspect her story about being a private chef for the Williams sisters is actually "I worked for a chef who catered and event they attended." I was convinced (and she admitted as much) that she was using her appearance to springboard her career into some kind of catty reality shot. So I checked IMBD. I regret to inform you that she only has one other credit, a redemption show in season 19.

In addition to her usual nasty self, she looked down on the non vegan/vegetarian in the basket. If those ingredients are beneath you, DON'T GO ON A FREAKIN' COMPETITION FOOD SHOW!

However, there was one gloriously hilarious moment with Lauren.

Spoiler

Lauren: So I'm a huge fan of onions. So I'm going to add some fresh red onions.

Cut to Scott Conant.

One chef on the redemption show really could have used Gordon Ramsay's advice from UK Kitchen Nightmares instead of being on Chopped. His restaurant was failing, they were tapping into his father's pension and his marriage was falling apart.

Spoiler

The show did not go well for him.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, xaxat said:

she only has one other credit, a redemption show in season 19.

She was just as bad on that show.  No redemption at all.

• Love 1