Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Chapter Thirteen

Jane learns the baby's sex, but a medical issue arises and may interfere with Jane's graduation. Meanwhile, Alba refuses to tell Xo about something she finds too embarrassing to discuss; and Michael believes he's uncovered Sin Rostro's real identity.

This show certainly doesn't waste any time with its plot advancement.

The drama around the amniocentesis was good character stuff, even though you obviously know Jane isn't going to lose the baby, because that would be completely atonal for this show.

Hey, Cheech Marin!

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 3

Yes.  Either that or the brother (Aaron according to Twitter) was the one who died and Zaz is taking his place.  I have to admit, that the reveal threw me for a bit. 

Tonight was an emotional episode.  I wonder when we'll find out the results of the test.

The most shocking reveal for me tonight was that Rose was wearing a wig.  I wonder why.  And that Michael appears to have figured out that Rose is Sin Rostro. 

• Love 1

When Rogelio was saying that they didn't think his audition with the American accent was believable enough, I really thought we were going to see a hilarious flashback showing some sort of terrible accent. Damn, missed opportunity.

When they flashed back to Zaz impaled yet again, I was thinking it was some sort of fake death, but hell, how did they even set that up?!

ETA- oh wait, so it's a twin? Just reread the posts above. D'oh!

Edited by Valny
  • Love 3

The emotional beats all hit the spot today and seriously had me firmly rooting for the baby to be okay. The highlights for me though: Milos' "hearts in eyes" moment, the light-bulb moment and the twin reveal at the end. This show just keeps knocking it out of the park every week!

P.S. Lachlan you are screwed

• Love 2

Wait... so... that scene at the end was a flashback to the night Saz died? And there's a brother? I don't remember anything about that. But OK, so the brother and possibly Rafael were in on Saz's death? For... reasons? Oh man, I'm so confused, lol. I don't mind if Rafael's been doing some shady shit but I hope he's not going to have a big Sin Rostro reveal as well, not with how kind and helpful he's been with Jane. That would be too devastating for her, and I don't want her dragged into a dangerous mess.

They just revealed that Rose is Sin Rostro and the cops are already on her! I'm shocked! But this show does that so well, reveal stuff you'd think they'd want to hold onto for ages and still manage to keep things interesting! I wonder why she wears a wig, it's not like she had dark black hair underneath... there was barely a difference. Loved them showing the bell boy say, "Sin Rostro" again... he was looking right at her! Oh man, this makes me want to go back and rewatch everything, see what else I missed!

I'm glad Lochlan was only trying to get revenge on Petra, I was worried he was trying to control her (to keep her in a relationship with him) or kill her. There's always time for that, though, I suppose. And now Milos bought into the hotel so she gets to stay, ha. Where did Petra's mom go?

• Love 2

Oh Jane The Virgin...how you pull off such a strong character development episode while giving us a literal 'she pulled off her wig' moment, I don't know. But I love you, show.

Edited by argrow
  • Love 9

Oh Jane The Virgin...how you pull off such a strong character development episode while giving us a literal 'she pulled off her wig' moment, I don't know. But I love you, show.

Hmm, the only characters who I saw go through development were Rogelio and maybe Alba, in unspectacular fashion.

Wait... so... that scene at the end was a flashback to the night Saz died? And there's a brother? I don't remember anything about that. But OK, so the brother and possibly Rafael were in on Saz's death? For... reasons? Oh man, I'm so confused, lol. I don't mind if Rafael's been doing some shady shit but I hope he's not going to have a big Sin Rostro reveal as well, not with how kind and helpful he's been with Jane. That would be too devastating for her, and I don't want her dragged into a dangerous mess.

They just revealed that Rose is Sin Rostro and the cops are already on her! I'm shocked! But this show does that so well, reveal stuff you'd think they'd want to hold onto for ages and still manage to keep things interesting! I wonder why she wears a wig, it's not like she had dark black hair underneath... there was barely a difference. Loved them showing the bell boy say, "Sin Rostro" again... he was looking right at her! Oh man, this makes me want to go back and rewatch everything, see what else I missed!

Yeah, I would hate if Raphael was somehow involved in shady stuff.  Were they trying to imply that he was involved in Zaz's death, or just messing with us?   Maybe it's that he had seen Zaz or his twin before he died, and will be a key to the truth coming out.  Raf has been so great with Jane, I don't want him to be a bad guy.  There's also the believability issue when a character is shown to be so honest and sincere that makes it seem weak to me if a show goes for the unexpected twist making someone like that a bad guy all of a sudden, just for the surprise factor.   I guess we'll see. 

I was very surprised and glad that Michael caught on to Rose so quickly.  I really liked that development.

And speaking of Rose and her wig.   I am guessing she had her face changed and the wig is part of her disguise... but did anybody else worry for a moment that she was going to be impersonating Petra to leave the country?  I thought their hair was a bit similar, and then soon after the wig reveal, Petra was supposed to be leaving for Europe with Lachlan.  When he told her she wasn't coming, for a second I thought he was working with Rose and that was part of the plan.

I really like that Petra now owns part of the hotel with Milos.  I didn't see that coming.

I really enjoyed all the family stuff too.  I thought it was nicely acted.

• Love 1

No, it wasn't a flashback.  It was the present day. Rafael was wearing the same shirt he was wearing at breakfast with Jane.  I'm not sure why people think they had anything to do with Zaz's death.  Clearly they're up to something but that could be anything from something shady to something on the up and up.  The reveal just happened to take place when the Michael and Nadine were examining the video of the death scene which eliminated many of the prime suspects.  I wonder if Rose asked Rafael to help her hide from his father.

The brother was brought up in the second or third episode as Zaz's next of kin and it was mentioned that he was a twin.  I like that they did that instead of just having a twin pop up out of nowhere.  The info was dropped but long enough ago that we might forget in the moment of shock..yet the clue was dropped. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4

Well, I had no idea who that was at the end, and I binge-watched all the episodes over the holiday, so it's not like I saw him back in October.  Thanks for reminding me! 

Loved the graduation scene with the three generations on the bed.  And loved the conversation between Xo and Alba, with tears running down their cheeks but not crying.  Very emotional. 

Did Rose run off with Lochlan?  Was that who she called to move up the schedule?  And does the mistress have a meaning beyond the alibi?  I have to believe the Narrator when he said Rose did not know about the affair.  So many questions! 

• Love 1

Maybe Aaron is the nice twin and Zaz was the evil one that was part of Sin Rostro and cheating with Petra, and Aaron is helping Raph find out more about Sin Rostro. Please don't let Raphael be bad after he was so sweet to Jane! I would have loved a thank you scene with Jane telling him how much the graduation meant to her.

At least the show went with a realistic echogenic focus on the heart, because it can be scary but most of the time it's normal.

I just can't hate Lachlan because I love Michael Rady. At least Petra is sort of getting crapped on after how horrible she's been. Karma...

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

I really liked the talk between Xo and Alba as well. 

I wasn't feeling the baby story probably because I don't believe they'd have the child have special needs so I didn't feel like the stakes were real. 

Michael figured things out quick. Hope he doesn't get dead soon.

I still love the breakneck pace of the plots. The hour flies by.

• Love 1

No, it wasn't a flashback.  It was the present day. Rafael was wearing the same shirt he was wearing at breakfast with Jane.  I'm not sure why people think they had anything to do with Zaz's death.  Clearly they're up to something but that could be anything from something shady to something on the up and up.  The reveal just happened to take place when the Michael and Nadine were examining the video of the death scene which eliminated many of the prime suspects.  I wonder if Rose asked Rafael to help her hide from his father.

The brother was brought up in the second or third episode as Zaz's next of kin and it was mentioned that he was a twin.  I like that they did that instead of just having a twin pop up out of nowhere.  The info was dropped but long enough ago that we might forget in the moment of shock..yet the clue was dropped. 

Ah, thanks for that.  I totally thought it was a flashback.  I guess I wasn't paying very close attention.  I should have rewound that part because I totally missed what the implication was too, and had forgotten that Zaz had a brother.  The whole thing went right over my head.

• Love 1

Loved this episode. Jane's worry and indecision about what to do about the baby was heartbreaking, as I could relate to the anxiety and hesitation and worry about making the right decision. Rafael was really cute with her, and I loved that he slept on a mattress by her bed to be there for her. Xo seems to be turning around about him, too.

Petra... I actually felt a lot of sympathy for her when Lochlan left her outside of the hotel with all of her luggage. I think for once Petra had stopped playing her role and was sincere when she said she should have never left Lochlan. He had his revenge, and while Petra might deserve it... I still felt terrible for her. Her mom has been lying to her, she's divorced, Milos has found her, she has nothing and no where to go and now Lochlan threw her to the ground.  And now with Milos being a part owner of the hotel...  Rafael is NOT going to be please.

Michael doesn't seem to be long for this world...  I kept screaming at the TV: "Get Rose out of there! She's the bad guy!" when Michael was talking with Rafael and Rose was in the room. Now that he's on the right track about who Sin Rostro is, I'm worried Michael will be in trouble, like Emilio...

Anybody else start to feel that perhaps Luisa is in on the scam? Or is she just protecting Rose because she loves her?

Rogelio cracked me up again, and it's too cute that he's hanging out at Xo's house all the time now that he's out of work. The twist at the end had me worried... But then Rogelio didn't say he'd take the job...

Alba and the physiotherapy guy had me smiling from ear to ear. And the teasing! It was great.

And OMG! The twist at the very end! I too thought it was a flashback at first, but then it became obvious that it wasn't. Who is this? Is it Zaz? Is it his brother? What's Rafael got to do with it all? Who killed whoever it was on the ice sculpture? Magda? Rafael? This new "Zaz"? Who? I wanna KNOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!

• Love 1

I remembered that Zaz's brother was mentioned after his death, during the investigation. That's when Rafael started cluing in on Petra's lying, because she had said she didn't know Zaz had a brother and the next day (or some time after) she mentioned the brother by name. I did not remember they said they were twins tho...

No, it wasn't a flashback.  It was the present day. Rafael was wearing the same shirt he was wearing at breakfast with Jane.  I'm not sure why people think they had anything to do with Zaz's death.

Because that's what the scene and narrator indicated to let us believe. 

Narrator: "Who the hell killed Zaz?"

Shows Rafael asking if everything went ok, shaking hands with lookalike/twin/Zaz.

Narrator: "Next question."

• Love 4

They need to really tie Jane into the main action because that's what's interesting to me. Watching she and Rafael go on endless doctor appointments is meh, especially since obviously the baby is going to be fine.  I was way more into Michael's SL and the hunt for Sin Rostro last night. Jane is becoming a little too much of a dull goody-goody.

Edited by smices
  • Love 5

I didn't enjoy this episode as it was like 90% Rafael/Jane and I actively hate them.

Me neither. They're just so...blah to me. I want their baby to be okay but the less screen-time they get together, the better.

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 2

I literally gasped! Gasped at the end! Wigs! Twins! I just love this show so much you guys.

Color me surprised that the cops have figured out Rose was Sin Rosta so quickly. I`m just used to investigators in TV shows taking four episodes longer than the audience to figure stuff out. Just like week, I was like "Rose was at the party when Zaz was killed! She couldn't have done it"! Then, low and behold, the characters realize the same thing. This show just keeps burning through plot lines, but I like it a lot. Every time a plot gets wrapped up, a few more take its place!  

I hope Abuela makes a move on the bike guy. They seemed cute.

Classic Sin Rosta! 

• Love 2

Another great episode--loved the graduation "ceremony" and the love between Jane, Xo, and Alba--but I realized something as I watched it. I don't love Jane and Rafael together. I like Rafael well enough, but I think I like her slightly better with Michael (who I hope doesn't get killed), although I don't necessarily feel like they're the inevitable OTP, either.

Maybe it's because the family dynamic is so wonderful (including Rogelio) that the romance pales in comparison, but I'd be fine without the smoochy-smoochy stuff, or with them bringing in someone completely new for Jane. 

• Love 6

Anybody else start to feel that perhaps Luisa is in on the scam? Or is she just protecting Rose because she loves her?

How is she protecting Rose?  If you're talking about the corkscrew, she's not protecting Rose there.  The corkscrew came from Emilio and Rose's hotel room.  She legitimately thinks Emilio is the murderer. 

Because that's what the scene and narrator indicated to let us believe. 

Narrator: "Who the hell killed Zaz?"

Shows Rafael asking if everything went ok, shaking hands with lookalike/twin/Zaz.

Narrator: "Next question."

See, I think the show wanted us to think that Zaz was still alive.  So the next question wasn't because they answered the "who killed Zaz question" but rather because it appears as if he were still alive. 

• Love 1

I love Jane. She takes into account the opinions of others, but in the end she is the one that makes the decisions. I think that doing the amnio was the right choice. If she hadn't done the test, she would have spent the rest of her pregnancy worrying about the baby’s health. And I love Rafael because he is very sweet and supportive and he really cares about her.

• Love 6

How is she protecting Rose?  If you're talking about the corkscrew, she's not protecting Rose there.  The corkscrew came from Emilio and Rose's hotel room.  She legitimately thinks Emilio is the murderer. 

Protecting Rose from Emilio is what I meant. I realize my sentence could be misinterpreted the way it is written just after my first sentence. :)

I don't think Luisa is in on Rose's scam, but I feel like there's something going on with Luisa other than her being an alchoolic, in love with her father's wife. This show makes me think one thing, then another, then back to my first idea, then onto a third one, etc...  And now I don't know what's what! LOL

• Love 2

I love Jane. She takes into account the opinions of others, but in the end she is the one that makes the decisions. I think that doing the amnio was the right choice. If she hadn't done the test, she would have spent the rest of her pregnancy worrying about the baby’s health.

I agree, and in fact I made the very same decision with my first pregnancy.  Of course, in my case the results came back positive, and there was no way anything was going to be wrong with Jane and Rafael's baby.  Which is my frustration with this sort of storyline -- so many shows go the "something might be wrong with the baby!/oh good, the baby's fine!" route, because it generates drama but only for an episode or two, and doesn't have any lasting consequences.  Which is not how the real world works, sometimes.  On the other hand, this is Jane the Virgin, and the two of them having to raise a special needs child is not in keeping with the crazy awesome style of this show.  And, of course, I'm happy the baby's fine.  I may be overthinking this, which is not something I generally do with this show.

Hee, Cheech Marin!

Boy, the plot is just zipping along.  Makes me wonder what's planned for season two.

• Love 2

I am just in love with this show. It makes me smile from start to finish. Rogelio and Xo are wonderful together, I really like Jane as the heroine with a brain and even like poor Petra. Every time that I think the show is going in one direction, it veers off with a surprise. Really high quality thus far.

• Love 3

I'm not a huge fan of Jane/Rafael, but I thought they were very sweet this episode. Rafael, in particular, was great and I love how supportive he was for Jane. And he planned that graduation surprise, which is very thoughtful.

I liked Alba and Xo's conversation. It was very well done.

So, Rose is wearing a wig, and TWINS. 

Poor Petra; I know she's done a lot of bad, but I still feel bad for her.

Michael, no! You're not supposed to catch on this quickly! Now you're in serious danger! No! Don't become a concrete popsicle like Emilio! 

• Love 1

Ha, I was totally hoping for a Kimberly Mancini worthy wig reveal and I finally got it! She must have dyed her hair recently in preparation for her escape (otherwise her husband would have noticed that she was wearing a wig). And on top of that, we also got a twin reveal! Hee, this is why soap operas are awesome. They embrace the cheese and the camp, which is so fun.

I really felt for the poor girl at the doctor's office who did the ultrasound. Even though Jane insisted that if everything looked good, she would say so, the nurse/tech was correct - only the doctor is allowed to disclose the actual results after looking at the pictures. It's the same for a lot of other medical tests like MRIs. Even though the techs see enough of the results to definitely know what they are looking at, they are not permitted to tell the patients if they see anything.

Like others, I am glad that Jane welcomed everyone's opinions but still made her own choices. I thought it was very sweet and generous of Rafael to let the decision entirely on her own because I'm sure that he had feelings and opinions about what he wanted to do, but he was nothing but supportive of Jane and did nothing to influence her or pressure her to go one way or another.

Loved Jane's mini graduation in bed. I actually didn't really care about my college graduation very much, but I went because I knew it meant a lot to my parents and I knew that they wanted to see me in my cap and gown. I would have been totally fine skipping hours of listening to names being read! It was nice to see that Xo and Alma were so proud of her.

I'm surprised that Rogelio hasn't been watching Passions of Santos' Son just to yell criticism at the tv every day since he was killed off.