Type keyword(s) to search

Columbo - General Discussion

Curtsy
  • Start Topic

On 5/28/2018 at 2:02 PM, peacheslatour said:

“A wonderful bird is the Pelican.
His beak can hold more than his belly can.
He can hold in his beak
Enough food for a week!
But I'll be damned if I know how the hellican?”

That was probably the first time "hell" was said on broadcast TV! (And if I'm right, they only got away with it because of the "ican.")

On 8/4/2018 at 3:25 PM, SlovakPrincess said:

John Cassavetes is so attractive, but I've only ever seen him play hideous villains - in Columbo and in Rosemary's Baby.    I do love the Blythe Dinner and Myrna Loy are also in this one.   

If you can handle one more performance by Cassavetes as a hideous villain, check out Brian DePalma's masterful The Fury. It may be his most hideously villainous performance ever. 🙂

• Love 2
On 5/5/2019 at 2:06 PM, peacheslatour said:

There used to be but they consolidated everything.

Oh, that’s too bad… Is there any way to persuade them to put it back up, or is that hopeless?

Been watching some early 90s Columbo movies with three good villains: George Hamilton as a host of an America's Most Wanted-type show, Dabney Coleman as a famous criminal lawyer who kills his unfaithful rock star wife and the late Rip Torn as a jeweler who killed his nephew to get his winning lottery ticket and is having an affair with his wife. The last one had this weird assortment of colorful characters as the nephews bohemian neighbors. "No Time to Die" is against the formula where Columbo's nephew's new bride is kidnapped right on her honeymoon and it's a race against time to find her. It's interesting only because it stars Thomas Calabro and Doug Savant months before Melrose Place premiered. They play cops and Calabro is Columbo's nephew. The scenes with the bride and her psycho stalker are tedious. This came right after Silence of the Lambs came out so it's a lot of that "Buffalo Bill" light kind of thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I just watched No Time to Die last night. It was the first one that I ever saw that we didn't know the culprit up front and Columbo's questioning of said culprit led to the culprit being found out. May be others, but the first one for me.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

I just watched No Time to Die last night. It was the first one that I ever saw that we didn't know the culprit up front and Columbo's questioning of said culprit led to the culprit being found out. May be others, but the first one for me.

That is probably in my top five, the real time format, the real old fashioned police work and best of all a feisty female hostage who practically saves herself. And the satisfaction of seeing the culprit get his well deserved comeupance.

• Love 2

TV-Ark had that British public information film from the 1970s about people needing a TV licence and the TV detector van is magically able, not only to tell that a home has a TV but also that they are watching "Columbo". Good times, good times.

• LOL 1

I have been enjoying watching the early episodes.  It reminds me how much acting and writing really matter and just makes me a bit sad about the quality of so many current shows (yes, there are amazing shows out there as well).  I also like the portrayals of average people-not everyone is "Hollywood" good-looking or stylish.  

• Love 4
21 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I have been enjoying watching the early episodes.  It reminds me how much acting and writing really matter and just makes me a bit sad about the quality of so many current shows (yes, there are amazing shows out there as well).  I also like the portrayals of average people-not everyone is "Hollywood" good-looking or stylish.  

Check out the pedigree:

Columbo director credits:
Steven Spielberg - 1 episode
Jonathan Demme - 1 episode
John Cassavetes - 1 episode
Nicholas Colasanto (Coach from Cheers) -2 episodes

Columbo writing credits:
Steven Bochco - 7 episodes
Steven J Cannell - 1 episode

• Love 2

I just watch "any port in a storm" about the brothers and the winery.  This episode really showed Columbo's intelligence in how her learned about the wines, etc.  It was also interesting as he mentioned kids, babysitters, etc., and I don't recall him having children in reality on the show.  So, was this just part of his "story" for the Carsini brother (i.e. why his wife couldn't join them for dinner) or did they change this about him as the series continued? 

Anyway, it was a good episode.

• Love 2
On 1/25/2020 at 8:31 AM, seacliffsal said:

I just watch "any port in a storm" about the brothers and the winery.  This episode really showed Columbo's intelligence in how her learned about the wines, etc.  It was also interesting as he mentioned kids, babysitters, etc., and I don't recall him having children in reality on the show.  So, was this just part of his "story" for the Carsini brother (i.e. why his wife couldn't join them for dinner) or did they change this about him as the series continued? 

Anyway, it was a good episode.

No, he never had kids and many of us don't think he really had a wife*. It was all part of his "character".

*Mrs. Columbo not withstanding.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

No, he never had kids and many of us don't think he really had a wife*. It was all part of his "character".

*Mrs. Columbo not withstanding.

We watched Columbo from its debut as part of the NBC Mystery Movie rotation, and my mother always said from the start that he didn't really have a wife.  Didn't know why she said it, but she stated as if it were fact.

But there were too many episodes where he referenced a wife and other relatives.  He went on a cruise with his wife.  There were lots of times he was shown on the phone talking to her when there was no one around for him to deceive, or talked about her to a neutral party whom he would not be trying to influence.

And yes, Mrs. Columbo notwithstanding.  What an abomination that was.

• Love 3

There were a few episodes in which a third person mentioned seeing/knowing his wife (especially in the later movie about his nephew's wedding and the kidnapped bride), but I think the wine episode is the only one in which I recall his mentioning kids.  And, I think in Columbo's toast he mentioned not having kids and how close he was to his nephew.  So, I'll chalk up the mention of kids in the wine episode as just being his story about why his wife couldn't come to the dinner.  Of course, his most consistent family member throughout the series (and we actually saw him) was his basset hound.

And yes, I watched every episode of Mrs. Columbo when it was on hoping it would get better and we would see Columbo.  Even the actors seemed just sad towards the end of its one season.

• Love 1
On 1/26/2020 at 3:46 PM, seacliffsal said:

There were a few episodes in which a third person mentioned seeing/knowing his wife (especially in the later movie about his nephew's wedding and the kidnapped bride), but I think the wine episode is the only one in which I recall his mentioning kids.  And, I think in Columbo's toast he mentioned not having kids and how close he was to his nephew.  So, I'll chalk up the mention of kids in the wine episode as just being his story about why his wife couldn't come to the dinner.  Of course, his most consistent family member throughout the series (and we actually saw him) was his basset hound.

And yes, I watched every episode of Mrs. Columbo when it was on hoping it would get better and we would see Columbo.  Even the actors seemed just sad towards the end of its one season.

Yep. There was even an episode where his wife is "murdered" by his chief suspect. It really got me because he had to pretend to grieve. It was super sad. I was mainly joking because it's a popular theory to toss around.

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yep. There was even an episode where his wife is "murdered" by his chief suspect. It really got me because he had to pretend to grieve. It was super sad. I was mainly joking because it's a popular theory to toss around.

At the end of that episode, he was absolutely furious at the suspect for trying to hurt his wife.  He had no reason to game her at that point.  

Edited by meowmommy

I do like that we never saw Mrs. Columbo (well, the REAL one, not the "Mrs. Columbo" series one).  That way I could enjoy whatever stories or comments he made as well as kept the focus on his work.  I think sometimes in various shows, the family starts taking away from the main focus of the show.

• Love 4

I watched "Lady in Waiting" this evening, and had forgotten how very hip the makeover segment was.  Plus, I noticed that Norman Lloyd had produced that episode.  I loved him as the senior physician in "St. Elsewhere," and wondered when he had died.  He hasn't!  Celebrated his 105th birthday in November.  Clips available online.  How amazing.  

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Michelle Calhoun said:

Robert Conrad was one of my favorite villains on Columbo, because our hero couldn't stand the guy and couldn't feign his usual rumpled politeness in every meeting.

Yep, usually Columbo had at least a grudging respect for the suspect. He couldn't keep up physically with this one but he still thought he was an ass.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow, didn't know Matthew Rhys(The Americans) was on the last ever Columbo("Columbo Likes the Nightlife" 2003) as the murderer. Loved his Peter Falk impression:

757full-columbo:-columbo-likes-the-night

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

During the last couple of weeks I've watched both of the William Shatner episodes and have concluded that he is one of my least favorite guest villains/murderers of the series.  It is probably his acting method but I won't be rewatching his episodes any time soon.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

During the last couple of weeks I've watched both of the William Shatner episodes and have concluded that he is one of my least favorite guest villains/murderers of the series.  It is probably his acting method but I won't be rewatching his episodes any time soon.

I don't like him on there either. I much prefer John Cassavetes or any of the women like Ruth Gordon, Janet Leigh, Susan Clark, hell even George Hamilton was better.

• Love 2

Recently rewatched “Try and Catch Me” (S7:E1). Not my Number 1 favorite episode, but definitely within my Top 5. The main clue is super-brilliant, and the mutual respect between Columbo and murderer Ruth Gordon is delightful.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Salzmank said:

Recently rewatched “Try and Catch Me” (S7:E1). Not my Number 1 favorite episode, but definitely within my Top 5. The main clue is super-brilliant, and the mutual respect between Columbo and murderer Ruth Gordon is delightful.

I watched that too and it's definitely in my top five. The rapport between Falk and Gordon is magical but I found the solution to be a bit labored. And I found myself asking, yet again, how many of his cases actually end in convictions? Since I have advanced degrees in watching all forms of Law and Order, I have been taught you usually need a lot stronger evidence than he usually gets to even indict.

• Love 4
(edited)
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I watched that too and it's definitely in my top five. The rapport between Falk and Gordon is magical but I found the solution to be a bit labored. And I found myself asking, yet again, how many of his cases actually end in convictions? Since I have advanced degrees in watching all forms of Law and Order, I have been taught you usually need a lot stronger evidence than he usually gets to even indict.

Heh—yeah, in most Levinson & Link mystery-shows (Murder, She Wrote, Ellery Queen, this), the evidence wouldn’t in reality be enough to sustain a conviction (although the police’s standard isn’t innocent until proven guilty, that’s the lawyers’ job). And it’s more pronounced here because, unlike amateurs Jessica Fletcher and Ellery Queen, Columbo’s a cop.

That said, from a viewer-satisfaction angle I think it’s strong—it’s that “oh, of course that’s what that clue means; I should have known!” moment that I love in whodunit-mysteries. The group on a mystery forum once termed it “the Homer Simpson Effect” (“d’oh!”), the rare intersection of surprise and inevitability. Of course, that element isn’t just in mysteries—far from it—but it shows up often in the genre.

As for the solution… Most “dying message” clues, yes, are strained: Ellery Queen (the pen name and fictional character, not the TV show) used them extensively throughout “his” books, and they all feel highly unlikely. In this case, however, it seems justified (at least to me): what else is the guy going to do in that safe for all those hours, waiting to die? If he’s going to die, at least leave some kind of evidence who his killer is, and he can’t make it too obvious or she’ll know.

What I love about the episode, other than the Falk-Gordon rapport, is that it has these maddening clues for us to ponder—what, for example, is with the six burnt matches?—even though we already know who the killer is. In most mysteries, the surprises come from figuring out what the killer did; here, they come from figuring out what the victim did.

In that way, it’s a bit like Dial “M” for Murder, which has a huge surprise solution based on what Swann, the accidental victim, did (the latchkey), even though we know the killer from the beginning. I think it’s a really clever, and satisfying, piece of plotting.

As for their relationship, by the way: Thinking it over, I agree with Columbo’s decision to arrest Gordon at the end. I love Gordon’s character, but even if the nephew-in-law did kill his wife/Gordon’s niece (which we don’t know for sure), taking justice into her own hands like that was wrong—especially when her vengeance was so cruel (slowly losing oxygen must be one of the worst ways to go).

Thanks for the reply—it really is a great episode! 🙂

Edited by Salzmank
  • Love 6

As for their rapport, by the way: It’s interesting, but in retrospect I agree with Columbo’s decision at the end. I love Gordon’s character, but even if the nephew-in-law did kill his wife/Gordon’s niece (which we don’t know for sure), taking justice into her own hands like that was wrong—especially when her vengeance was so cruel (slowly losing oxygen must be one of the worst ways to go).

Abigail Mitchell: "I think you are very kind, detective Columbo.

Lt. Columbo: "Don't count on that ma'am. Don't count on it."

• Love 3
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Abigail Mitchell: "I think you are very kind, detective Columbo.

Lt. Columbo: "Don't count on that ma'am. Don't count on it."

Columbo as Avenging Angel!

It’s a great aspect of the character.

• Love 2
(edited)

OK, speaking of a Top 5, here’s mine (no particular order). For me, the best Columbos have clever plotting (surprises, detective-work, and final clue), good dialogue, a good pace, and a memorable murderer. (Falk is always good, so the quality of his acting in the show isn’t even a question! 😉 )

“A Stitch in Crime” (S2:E6)—fans tend to be split on whether or not Columbo actually loses his temper (and bumbling façade). I tend to think he does, which makes the episode stronger, especially as Dr. Leonard Nimoy’s murder method is so diabolically ingenious.

“Any Old Port in a Storm” (S3:E2)—a fan favorite, and I agree. The mutual respect between Pleasance’s vintner-murderer and Columbo is what makes the episode, but the final clue is one of those great “OF COURSE!” moments. Pleasance is at his best; he restrains his overacting impulses and delivers an excellent characterization.

“By Dawn’s Early Light” (S4:E3)—Patrick McGoohan! Excellent comedy, combined with a memorable motive and method (exploding cannon!). McGoohan and Falk, friends in real life, are great together, and McGoohan’s characterization makes for one of the finest Columbo murderers.

“Try and Catch Me” (S7:E1)—my (rambling) comments above, but ingenious twist, top-notch cluing, great relationship between Ruth Gordon’s murderess and Columbo.

“Columbo Goes to Guillotine” (S8:E1)—maybe a quirky choice, but I love its Uri Geller exposé and the brilliance of the psychic-viewing trick. The kid’s a bit annoying (why oh why did writers/producers keep trying to saddle Columbo with a sidekick?!), and I wish Roddy McDowell had played “Geller,” but otherwise this is first-class, always a surprise in the rebooted seasons. Columbo’s (deserved) pride in figuring out the trick is one of my favorite moments in the show.

Really hard to reduce it to 5 only; what about “Death Lends a Hand,” “Double Shock,” “Swan Song,” “Forgotten Lady,” “Now You See Him…,” and “Old Fashioned Murder”?

That said, that’s my Top 5 now. Your Top 5s (or 10s, or whatever) more than welcome!

Edited by Salzmank
  • Love 2
(edited)

I always loved Last Salute To The Commodore. Diane Baker's OTT drunk, the weird impersonation scene, that watch scene and Falk hilariously taking every opportunity to sit on Robert Vaughn.

Edited to add the young diver (it's his first time) Columbo recruits to come in at night to look for something.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3
(edited)
16 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I always loved Last Salute To The Commodore. Diane Baker's OTT drunk, the weird impersonation scene, that watch scene and Falk hilariously taking every opportunity to sit on Robert Vaughn.

Edited to add the young diver (it's his first time) Columbo recruits to come in at night to look for something.

I like “Last Salute to the Commodore” as well, but we may be the only people who do—it tends to be one of the lowest-rated Columbo episodes! 😉

Admittedly, my fondness for it is more plot-based than anything else: I like how we’re led to think Vaughn is the killer based purely on our preconceptions about the show, without actually seeing him kill anyone. The trick would have worked even better with Robert Culp, though, because of how often Culp was a Columbo murderer!

Otherwise, I think it’s OK, and I like the scenes you mention as well. If I had to guess, many fans just don’t like the playing with formula—which I get, but here I think it’s done well.

Edited by Salzmank
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, Salzmank said:

I like “Last Salute to the Commodore” as well, but we may be the only people who do—it tends to be one of the lowest-rated Columbo episodes! 😉

Admittedly, my fondness for it is more plot-based than anything else: I like how we’re led to think Vaughn is the killer based purely on our preconceptions about the show, without actually seeing him kill anyone. The trick would have worked even better with Robert Culp, though, because of how often Culp was a Columbo murderer!

Otherwise, I think it’s OK, and I like the scenes you mention as well. If I had to guess, many fans just don’t like the playing with formula—which I get, but here I think it’s done well.

Which is probably why I'm at a table for one in my love for No Time To Die. I love that it's in "real" time, I love that the bride is so smart and capable, I love the way the whole department drops everything to find her. That one also resists the formula.

• Love 3

No, you're not alone at that table.  Years ago I didn't like "no time to die" but have grown to really appreciate it-especially as Columbo drops his "incompetent" act and just zeros in on figuring it out.  He didn't need to "play act" or stroke anyone's ego in solving this.  Therefore, he could just direct others and resolve the crime.  I, too, appreciate the self-advocacy of the bride (I hardly ever remember the names of the various characters).

I like the Johnny Cash episode although I do get tired of just hearing the one song over and over (I saw the light). I like how Columbo pieces everything together and sets up Johnny Cash at the end.

I also enjoy the Mexican Cruise episode with Robert Vaughn.  Because various ship crew mentioned seeing Mrs. Columbo, I believe that he really was married (this seems to get debated every once in a while).

• Love 5
(edited)

Just watched "Columbo Goes to College" and, as always, really enjoyed it.  Robert Culp is perfection as the arrogant lawyer/father who thinks Columbo is incompetent, and the two actors who play the college students are very good-especially at the end when they realize that instead of "playing" Columbo, he played them.  I think I especially enjoy this episode as it is so similar to how some of my high school students think they are soooooo much smarter than me (and in many instances they are), and then they begin to realize that maybe I'm not as dimwitted as they thought.  Good times. Sigh.

Edited by seacliffsal
Don't know why or how, but I misremembered Robert Culp's first name...
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/24/2020 at 11:38 AM, Salzmank said:

OK, speaking of a Top 5, here’s mine (no particular order). For me, the best Columbos have clever plotting (surprises, detective-work, and final clue), good dialogue, a good pace, and a memorable murderer. (Falk is always good, so the quality of his acting in the show isn’t even a question! 😉)

Just rewatched Prescription: Murder last night for the first time in years, and it makes my list. Columbo here is younger, less bumbling, harsher, more quick to anger; Falk (as ever) gives an exceptional performance, letting us see how Columbo would have been if they hadn’t retooled the character.

Gene Barry’s murderer is almost unbearably smug, but he’s also much smarter than many of the killers on the show: he sees through Columbo’s bumbling act act right away. The plot is diabolically ingenious, full of twists and turns before the show became formula-based (admittedly, it’s great formula, but still). Columbo doesn’t really have a clue at the end—but the trap he sets up is brilliant. We get to see the Lieutenant working more closely with other cops, and with the department, than later on, and it shows just how good a police officer he is.

Barry’s acting is as good as Falk’s, and he’s definitely one of the best Columbo killers. The conversation between the two foes is beautifully written, witty, clever dialogue; this whole thing could have been a play (and is clearly inspired by Dial ‘M’ for Murder).

Definitely makes my Top 5—but, oy, what to bump?!

EDIT: It was a play. Y’know, I actually think I knew that…

Edited by Salzmank
  • Love 4

I am doing a rewatch of the series.  I am on the second episode of season 5.  A Case of Immunity.  I have never cared for this episode.  It almost has a fake feeling to it.  Everyone is running around dressed like a Suarian and talking in fake accents.  I am watching it but I often skip this one.  Does anyone else have any episodes they just don't like?  

21 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I am doing a rewatch of the series.  I am on the second episode of season 5.  A Case of Immunity.  I have never cared for this episode.  It almost has a fake feeling to it.  Everyone is running around dressed like a Suarian and talking in fake accents.  I am watching it but I often skip this one.  Does anyone else have any episodes they just don't like?  

A lot of the later ones.

I really don't like the one about the artist who killed his first wife.  Maybe they tried to be "cool" about the sexual relationships or the psychological aspects of the relationships.  Not a big fan of the Chess Match episode.

I don't really care for the Faye Dunaway episode as she seems too over the top or something.  Agree with above poster that some of the newer ones don't interest me that much.  However, I do really like the Columbo Goes to College newer one as I just love to watch the deflating of the two college-aged killers.  

Having said that-I do watch ones I don't necessarily care for as they are still so much better than most other shows on t.v.

• Love 1

The Chess Match episode is not a great one either.

I have been noticing how often Vito Scotti shows up in Columbo episodes.  I looked it up and he was on the show 6 times. 

• Love 1

I love seeing "repeat" actors on Columbo.  How many times someone was a murderer, background character, etc.  My favorite observation is that Dabney Coleman went from police officer in an early episode to murderer in a later one.  I often wonder if the repeat actors were friends of Peter Falk and he wanted them on multiple shows or how it was determined which actors/actresses would be invited back for future episodes.  

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I love seeing "repeat" actors on Columbo.

The repeat actor I could have done without is Shera Danese, Mrs. Falk.  What a horrible actress.  She took me out of every scene she was in, and it seemed like she was cast every chance her husband got.

I didn't like the one with the kidnapped niece (I think it's the only episode without an actual murder).  I agree on the Case of Immunity.  Columbo Goes to College is not my favorite mostly because the bratty killers acted like it was just dumb luck that they got caught.  Unlike most episodes, where the murderer comes to realize (and ruefully appreciate) at the end how they've been played by the wily Lieutenant.  And I didn't really like the one with Janet Leigh.  Having her diagnosed with a brain tumor and therefore off the hook for murder seems like a copout.

• Useful 1

Oh, I so agree with you about the Janet Leigh episode.  Was this the only time Columbo did not arrest the murderer?  Also, too much signing and dancing from an actress not necessarily known for signing and dancing (there were so many stars from MGM's golden years still alive at the time of this episode I always wondered why they didn't get someone else).

I just watched Fade in to Murder.  That is the one with William Shatner.  Shera Danese shows up in the movie in a small part.  That is her first appearance.  It was a year before she married Peter Falk.  She really did appear in way too many of them.  

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, LakeGal said:

I just watched Fade in to Murder.  That is the one with William Shatner.  Shera Danese shows up in the movie in a small part.  That is her first appearance.  It was a year before she married Peter Falk.  She really did appear in way too many of them.  

She may have a really nice person but she couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag.

• LOL 2

It seems to me that the acting in general wasn't as strong during the "second run" as in the original episodes.  Very few well known actors during the later years and I think it had an impact on the show-although I still love those later episodes because, well, it's Columbo.

• Love 3

"Comfort Viewing: 3 Reasons I Love ‘Columbo’"

“Columbo” is one of the very few American series fueled by class warfare. Whether they are driven by coldblooded entitlement, delusions of grandeur or simple greed, the murderers treat the self-deprecating, ostentatiously low-grade cop with seething annoyance, willful condescension or hypocritical benevolence.

It is hard to overstate how satisfying it is to see smug criminals get caught right now. Imagine the joy of seeing a rebooted Columbo go after hedge-fund managers, big-game hunters, studio chiefs, YouTube influencers, real-estate magnates or celebrity chefs who picked killing as an acceptable problem-solving method.

• Love 10